Seat Number Zero

By KunaTheTrash

Shokugeki no soma Fanfic Finally my suspension is over. I wonder how my brother is doing, he just transferred... More

Disclaimer
Prologue
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5
Part 6
Part 7
Part 8
Part 9
Part 10
Part 11
Part 12
Part 13
Part 14
Part 15
Part 15.5
Part 16
Part 17
Part 18
Part 19
Part 20
Part 21
Part 22
Part 23
Part 24
Part 25
Part 27
Part 28
Part 29
Part 29.5
Part 30
Part 31
Part 32
Part 33
Part 34
Part 35
Extra Part 1

Part 26

1.4K 36 1
By KunaTheTrash

"It's Hokkaido!"

"This is my first time in Hokkaido." Yuki wept tears of joy, jumping through the snow.

"Same here" Ryoko joins her.

"Well, this brings back memories," Yumi said, stretching out the fatigue from sitting on a train.

"Wha? you came here before?" Yuki asked, rolling some snow for a snowman.

"I had a lot of time during my suspension." Yumi shrugs.

"Then give us a tour?" Yuki asks excitedly, her eyes sparkled with anticipation just hoping her answer is yes. Yumi flinched at the girl's enthusiasm, grimacing at the thought of actually walking to places.

Before Yumi could respond, Erina cut in, "this isn't the time to be so carefree!"

"But Professor Erina." Yuki whines.

"Did you all come here to play?" Erina reprimanded coldly. "Is this really the time to be frolicking about in the snow?"

"Oh thank goodness." Yumi breathed a sigh of relief. She does feel an ounce of pity for the rest of Polar Star; the lectures given by Nakiri are pretty intense compared to any of their professors. Though admittedly they were very effective. Of course, she sat through her courses, why not, she's in school for a reason... just ignore the fact that she's trying to get herself expelled.

**********

At the venue for the first assignment.

"The first exam will be held in multiple rooms in a team. There will be 5 people per team to cook one dish and if the dish is below satisfactory then all five students will be expelled. The academy has already formed the groups." Yumi squinted as she read the instructions on the whiteboard. "Clearly the organizers haven't graduated primary, I count six on this team."

"So our team is with these members," Soma said. "Wow, the teams are formed quite blatantly."

"Soma," Yumi said, patting his head. "Stop using big words."

"It seems like they put us rebels into one team." Yuki bit her nail anxiously.

"Even Alice?" Megumi asked shocked

"I'm fine because this will be a good opportunity to upset Uncle Azami." Alice chuckles. "Anyway, I heard that you guys received a Hokkaido lecture from Erina!" She pouts, changing the subject. "If you had asked me I could've given you way more useful information than she can."

"I'm sure you will," Yumi mutters.

"It seems like Takumi and the other room," Soma said, glancing around.

"Same goes for Mito and Arato," Megumi adds. "I'm sure they were grouped into the same team just like us."

"Lady Erina, you are assigned to this team." One of the men in black suits guided Nakiri to a group of girls securing their team with a fifth member. The other members squealed with delight, inviting her graciously.

"And Erina-chhi is separated from us so that she can be promoted safely."

"That team is going to get hard carried by her," Yumi said shaking her head. "I'm almost jealous."

"Alright, nice to meet you. I am Hiroi, a Professor of Tootsuki and the judge for this room." a middle-aged woman introduced herself as she stood in front of the room. "The theme ingredient for this room will be 'Salmon'. If you can produce a salmon dish that I am satisfied with then you pass"

"Salmon?"

"Ooh! Salmon, aren't we lucky with the theme?" Yuki shouts excitedly, gesturing to Kurokiba. "Our team consists of shellfish expert Kurokiba. He even won against a 2nd-year student from Central in a shokugeki last time! Also, Megumi is from a port town." She grins. "With a theme like this, we may have a chance to pass!"

"Everyone was present for the Headmaster special lecture, right?"

"What is she talking about?" Yuki asked nervously after hearing that question.

"If you can reproduce the dish taught during the lecture then you should pass with no problem. So relax and cook!"

"Hm, I see what's happening they're straightforward with tormenting us." Alice hums crossing her arm.

"Hmph! I'll never give in to such sly tricks!" Yuki raised a fist.

"And if we can pass by cooking delicious food then..." Megumi stammers. "Maybe if we give it our best..."

"But why Salmon?" Soma wonders.

"I agree." Alice also questions.

"Probably because salmon are slimy, dry, and oily," Yumi replies. "Which perfectly describes Central."

"The ideal season for salmon is undoubtedly during autumn. Now in the middle of winter, the caught declines and so does the quality." Kurokiba explains. "But it's suspicious that salmon is the theme, isn't it?"

"I don't think that's the reason." Yuki deadpanned, then looked over to the other teams. "But there's no need to worry! Take a look at that." She points at the ingredient.

Yumi rolled her eyes. "Totsuki showing off their influence? What a surprise."

"Wow, they're amazing!" Megumi gasp. "All the salmon being distributed are only of top quality. It must've been hard to prepare all these in this season."

"Here, this is for your team." an ice crate is placed on their counter.

"This is 'hotchare," Kurokiba said.

Hotchare is a slang for salmon with no energy after spawning. The quality of taste is the lowest among all other salmon.

"What? Why are we the only ones?" Yuki exclaims in protest. "Wait a minute Miss Examiner! This salmon.

"Alright, did every team get their ingredients?" the professor clapped her hands to start the exam.

"Dont ignore me!"

"The time now is... a little past lunchtime." Yuki is proceeded to be ignored. "The time limit shall be until today's sunset." The examiner said to put away her watch. "Begin, make the best salmon dish."

"You gotta be joking," Yuki said, sweating bullets. "It has begun."

"That must mean in the other rooms the others are treated this way as well," Soma states.

"If you have a complaint about the ingredient we have prepared, then you go find your own salmon." the examiner chuckles. "You can even catch your own salmon. But you should know, with the salmon season over, and with the amount obtained due to Totsuki's strong influence on the market... to get a salmon with quality good enough to pass is impossible."

"What do we do, Yumi?"

"I mean what else can I do?" Yumi sighs, sliding her fingers over the crate of salmon and dragging it to the sink to wash. "I'm prepping this."

"Ohh ok. As if! Now is not the time for jokes." Yuki shouts, pointing her index. Then turns to Soma and asks, "Don't you have some tricks up your sleeve! Like disguising some cheap ingredient to look good!"

"It won't be that easy," Soma said. "More than anything else this state of salmon has the least amount of oil throughout the year."

"That technique you use during the election finals isn't going to work." Kurokiba states. "Whether it's rice or yeast it takes days to ferment it. We can't do that by sunset."

"No way... then what do we do?"

"Look at that they're panicking." the voices of mockery echoed around them. "Yup that's what they get for rebelling against Headmaster Azami."

"If you follow the headmaster nothing can go wrong. Students who don't follow Central should just be expelled from Tootsuki!"

"This is bad..." Yuki panics. "Are we really going to be expelled like this?"

"Well if I had it my way," Yumi said with a playful smirk, eyes glinting in mischief. "Maybe use this opportunity to make recipe number nine." She held up a worn pocket notebook stuffed with post-it notes and with a handwritten title that sent chills down Yuki's spine. "Yukihira's Compilation of Failed Dishes."

"You added my newest creation, dried squid with honey, right?" Soma asked, to which she nodded affirmatively.

"Absolutely not. And where were you hiding that book? In your absolute territory?" Yuki screeched so high-pitched it came out inaudible.

"Hm? but I always have this on me." She replies grinning from ear to ear. "I was also thinking of mixing smelly sardines, expired tofu, and a leftover peanut butter and jelly sandwich... into this. " Yumi pulled out a blender from under the counter. "Then force-feed it to the examiners until they cough up some quality ingredients."

Her teammates and everyone else who heard her all physically gagged at the idea. "Hmm, should I add chee-?"

"Stop!" Yuki covered her mouth before Yumi could finish her sentence.

"Calm down Yuki," Yumi pulled the hand away from her mouth so that she could speak. "I don't mind if I get expelled, but as part of this team I refuse to take this down lightly." She said sending the examiners a vicious glare.

"Didn't Nakiri say something during the study session..." Soma suddenly had a thought. "I'm sure the name was... Hey Nakiri, do you think we can find 'that'?" He asked the platinum blonde.

"I'm sure we can," Alice replies with a smirk. "Trust me, I studied in North Europe."

"Kurokiba, if we go find it now we barely have enough time for cooking..."

"Don't underestimate me. Do you really think I'll be late with shellfish preparations?" Kurokiba scoffs.

"Huh?" Megumi and Yuki frowned in confusion.

"Too bad, I was really looking forward to food poison a few of them." Yumi shrugs, also cluing in on what they're thinking about.

"Well, then it's too early to assume that we will fail." Soma grins. "Just watch the ones who make the best salmon dish in this room will be us."

"What did you say? You'll present the best salmon dish in this room?" the examiner repeats his declaration in shock.

"We won't if we don't move our feet." Yumi chides, making a dash for the door. "Quit posing like a bunch of losers! We're on a clock!"

"You heard the lady, let's get going," Soma shouts.

"Wait! Don't act like you're our leader. We're standing on equal grounds." Alice protests, running after the two siblings as the rest try to keep pace.

Yumi tossed them their coats. "Not at that turtle-like pace."

"What's going on? Did you get an idea?" Megumi asks.

"You guys were also listening during Nakiri's lecture, right?" Soma explains ."About the 'special freezing technique' of ingredients."

"Oh!" A lightbulb went off in their heads. "We still have a chance."

30 minutes till sunset...

"Looks like you're done with your final struggle." The professor condescendingly addressed the group as soon as they came back from their search. "Show me what you've achieved."

Soma said nothing and only set down the styrofoam cooler, and slowly lifted the lid to reveal their finds.

"Though I'm sure you were only able to obtain scrawny sal-" her voice trailed off as shock replaced her expressions.

"How? It's a magnificent salmon." Several onlookers also curious to see how the team is doing also gasped at the sight, " That burnish and tangy flesh, it is beyond first class."

"This is Summer salmon!"

Summer Salmon is salmon that are not caught in its season but from spring till summer because it is caught when it is not during its season. There are only a few of these and are rare. Since these salmon are not mature yet, it does not bear any eggs milt therefore all of the nutrients are concentrated in their flesh! In other words, it's top class in terms of meat quality, the best of its kind throughout the year.

"But something's not right! If it's a summer fish where did you get it this winter?"

"I'm sure you've figured it out Professor, the 'Brine Freezing Technique," Alice said. Using Brine solution which does not freeze below zero degrees celsius, freezing is done instantaneously. Because the time taken to drop the temperature of the ingredient below its freezing point takes little time, the cell walls are not ruined. Therefore freezing is possible without reducing the quality. "It's a collaboration of science and culinary arts."

"Wow~ I'm surprised we were able to find a dealer who treats brine frozen ingredients," Soma laughed carefreely.

"And I'm glad the summer salmon were still in stock," Megumi added.

'Summer salmon and Brine Freezing Technique are pretty well known.' The professor agonizingly pondered biting into her nail. 'But it's extraordinary that they were able to find them on such short notice.'

Bang! Crash! a loud commotion just outside caught everyone's attention. "Out of my way!" Yumi burst through the door and into the warm exam room. "It's fucking freezing. I hate winter!" She screams, scrambling to turn the knobs for the stove. The blue flames quickly dance ablaze, her eyes lit up at the sight. Extending her fingers to the warmth she let out a shaky sigh.

"You're late." Alice scoffs, still salty from earlier this afternoon.

"I don't want to hear that from someone who wasted an hour contacting their trader to only come back empty-handed." Yumi retorts hand still outstretched to the flames. Don't do this at home. "I ended up having to resort to asking a favor from an old contact. And because we were in a rush, I couldn't negotiate properly. He scammed me half a hundred thousand yen."

"I'll pay you back," Alice waved her hand dismissively.

"I don't care about the money," Yumi scowls.

"I'm surprised that you managed to obtain the ingredients." The professor comments. "BUT, the time limit is barely within 30 minutes."

"Hey, how's the defrosting?" Soma cheerfully asked.

"The fish itself is small, so I'm sure it's fine," Kurokiba replies checking on the salmon. "And it's easier to handle when it's semi-defrosted.

"Who'd thought I'd team up with you, Soma," Alice smirks with a knife in hand.

"Back at 'cha" Soma replies, tightening the white band around his head. "Kurokiba, could you prepare it fast?"

"You should know who you're talking to," Kurokiba growls offensively, putting on his headband. "Don't order me around!" He shouts brandishing his knife into the flesh of the salmon expertly at a speed only a trained chef can exhibit.

"Well sorry." Soma apologized with a wide grin on his face, as he chopped away at the vegetable at rivaling speeds.

Each moving swiftly and without hesitation for even a moment, the six of them complete their dish within their thirty-minute time limit. Yuan Yaki made from a summer salmon.

"Dig in-"

"Try it out." Alice cheerfully cuts off Soma. He narrowed his eyes at her in disbelief as she glared back.

"A dish such as this can't be," the examiner stammered at the sight, her utensil shook in her trembling hands. She took a bite.

"Don't you think you were underestimating us, Miss Examiner? We won't get defeated by things such as this, because this is a part of our lives." Soma said, taking off his headband. "In every situation, we try to obtain the best ingredients in the marketplace and to make them into delicious food. That's what a restaurant does!"

"All six of you pass the first round." The examiner begrudgingly announced admitting her defeat.

*********

"We barely made it." Yuki breathed out a sigh of relief. She then spots Erina staring at them from across the room. "Erina-cchi! We did it! We cleared the first phase."

"What are you laughing about?" Erina glared at her in response. "That was only just the first phase! I wonder if you really should be so carefree."

Yumi didn't hear the rest of Erina's lecturing as she was too busy yelling at someone herself. "Soma, you reckless idiot." She slammed her fist down onto the counter. "Taste the sauce solution I made before tossing it in."

"Haha. Sorry." Soma laughed holding the salmon plate in front of him. "Want some?"

"Why should I?" Yumi crossed her arms angrily.

"We would've been doomed if not for Soma and Alice," Yuki said dejectedly. "I can't believe we got five more tasks like this to go."

"Yeah," Yumi nodded, tapping her brother with her elbow murmuring a small "thanks". He smiled in response, nodding back to her.

"No time for a carefree vacation in Hokkaido. We'll celebrate once we become second years!" Yuki said, determined.

"Announcement to all that have passed the First Phase of the exam. You will be transported to the venue of the Second Phase of the examination by train."

************

"You passed the Second Phase." The second unnamed examiner gave their verdict, to which Yumi responded with the enthusiasm equivalent of a muffin left out in the rain. "yay"

"Those who have passed please gather here, we have something to distribute that is related to the next exam." The staff in black suits and shades called out to each student handing out envelopes with the Totsuki brand stamped in the corner. "It's your train ticket to the next destination, you need to be at the station ten minutes before the departure time. Please be advised to arrive on time," they explain.

"Huh? But the departure time is at night?" Takumi stared at his envelope. "It's still a little past four in the afternoon. We still have lots of time left."

"The free time you have left until departure is ours to enjoy."

"Yes!" Yuki said fist-pumping the air. "You know what that means! We get to explore the city."

"It's downtown Sapporo! Look at this, the road is like a checkerboard."

"Guys let's take a walk! And have a tour! Also, let's try out all the food." Yuki suggests.

"Ramen," Daigo said.

"Sushi," Ibusaki said.

"Gengis khan." Sato wants to sightsee.

"What kind of food is that?" Yumi frowns.

"I think it's better to split up and take a look around according to our interests." Ryoko proposes.

"But don't forget the departure time." Erina reminded them. "Think of this as a part of the Hokkaido lecture. Since there's nothing better than experiencing everything yourself in the actual field."

"Yes Professor Erina." Yuki chirped.

"Then let's try something nearby first," Soma said looking at the ice cream stall, then asks his sister. "You want one?"

"Are you kidding? it's the middle of winter." Yumi grimaced. "And I hate chilly food."

"Suit yourself." He shrugs then rushes off to order himself a cone. His eyes lit up upon the first bite.

"Woah!" Takumi also took note of the rich taste of his ice cream. "It's appropriately sweet..."

"What kind of milk produced this ice cream I wonder? Hokkaido is scary." Soma said. "Looks like we'll have to start going around seriously."

"Yeah, we have to carefully select what to eat." Takumi agrees, pulling out a map. "Let's see... Tanukikoji street has a lot of restaurants."

"Should we look for places where the locals go instead of tourists?" Soma looked over to his map. "Let's go all the way to Susukino."

"Aldini, aren't you following your brother?" Mito asks Isami.

"I really wanted to take a walk around this park." he shook his head in response.

"Looks like there's a famous shop in front of Sapporo station that sells processed seafood," Marui said while looking at a brochure.

"Oh, I wanted to go there too! They say you can try pickled yeast there." Ryoko said excitedly. "Arato, do you want to follow us? There are dried goods too so perhaps you'll find something useful for your medicinal cuisine."

"Eh?" Hisako was intrigued by the idea but hesitated and looked at Erina as if worried about her. "But-"

"It's okay Hisako." Erina nodded. "You have the right to act freely so enjoy your time."

"Lady Erina." Arato's face lit up in gratitude.

"Erina, don't you have a place you want to go to?" Megumi asks.

"Well, maybe I should take a walk in the park too," Erina responds.

"I see, can I follow you?" Megumi asks.

"Of course."

Hisako then placed a hand on Megumi's shoulders and seriously spoke. "I leave Lady Erina in your trusted hands."

"Ah yes," Megumi replies, stunned as she watched Hisako run off in the other direction.

"What am I, chopped liver?" Yumi rolled her eyes.

"So I guess it's just the three of us, huh?" Megumi said. The three of them casually strolled along the pathway lit up by tall street lamps, in the distance they can hear an event hosting what seems like a small festival.

"Yep." Yumi nods. "Minus the chilly weather, a quiet stroll in the park was just what I needed to unwind. Though I am a bit hungry."

"Perhaps you can order something from the food stalls we just passed," Erina suggests.

"Maybe?" Yumi replies.

"FOUND YOU!" The loud voices made the three jump.

"Soma? Takumi?" Megumi asks. "What's going on."

"No, we found this amazing restaurant!" Soma explained. "But there were so many things in the menu that we wanted to try."

"You didn't have dinner yet, right? Will you come with us? Let's order lots and share them!" Takumi suggests.

"Okay," Megumi responds.

"Well?" Yumi shrugs. "I did say I was hungry."

"Alright, it's decided then," Soma said, then called out. "Nakiri hurry up, let's go!"

A few hours later...

"Huh?" All five of them were standing on the platform to get on their scheduled train, yet there was no train in sight.

"I can't see the rest."

"They must be on board already," Takumi said. "We should hurry, too"

At the same time Erina heard a ring coming from her phone, she glanced once at the caller ID before answering. "Lady Erina where are you right now?" Hisako asks from the other line, sounding very anxious.

"What's the rush, Hisako?"

"No, it's just I couldn't find you so I got worried..." Hisako explains.

"Don't worry we're just about to get on board," Erina replies assuringly.

"What?" Hisako exclaims. "That's weird because the train left 30 minutes ago!"

"WHAT?"

"It's nothing to be that surprised about ya know?" a voice from behind cuts into their conversation. "We knew from the beginning."

They turned around. "Rindou?"

"Yo." Rindou greets. "Geez, it's cold." she shivered, shoving both her hands into her uniform.

"Um, what do you mean?" Megumi asked.

"You know right? The route splits." Rindou explains. "Oh right and this is an explanation for the next exam."

"All the rebels including you guys are to compete with the Elite Ten."

Yumi gaped at the third year for a second, "Oh hell no." 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.3M 118K 65
↳ ❝ [ INSANITY ] ❞ ━ yandere alastor x fem! reader ┕ 𝐈𝐧 𝐰𝐡𝐢𝐜𝐡, (y/n) dies and for some strange reason, reincarnates as a ...
689K 33.9K 24
↳ ❝ [ ILLUSION ] ❞ ━ yandere hazbin hotel x fem! reader ━ yandere helluva boss x fem! reader ┕ 𝐈𝐧 𝐰𝐡𝐢𝐜𝐡, a powerful d...
1.2M 47.7K 53
Being a single dad is difficult. Being a Formula 1 driver is also tricky. Charles Leclerc is living both situations and it's hard, especially since h...
Belonging By Nina

Fanfiction

157K 4.9K 80
[First Book] Emiko Kurosaki is a 15 year old teen who has no memory of her past. All she remembers was waking up on the streets, at the age of seven...