Forever Mates

By scarletoak

My name's Lilly Snow. All my life I've never wanted a mate. Everybody tells me I'm wrong to not want one but... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Author's Note
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 39
Chapter 40

Chapter 38

575 31 4
By scarletoak

Aaaaaahhh!!!!! Aaaaaaahhhh!!!!!

The scream echoed in my head and thundered within the room. I could hear the agony of this poor girl and it was more than enough to break my heart. I couldn't recognize who it was. All girls scream the same way, but Julia stirred within me. She could tell that it was someone familiar.

I hoped against all hope that she was wrong.

Drifting through the darkness in the room, I followed the sound of the terrible screams.

"LET GO!" I heard her scream "PLEASE DON'T DO THIS!"

"SHUT UP!" I heard the sound of a slap followed by another shriek.

I tried to move faster. Some monster was abusing this poor innocent girl and I could tell she was in no position to fight back.

"SOMEBODY HE-" the last part of her sentence was cut off by a muffled noise. It seemed like her attacker had shoved the palm of his hand against her mouth to prevent the scream. I ran further in the darkness, letting my hands feel the walls around me.

"C'mon," I whispered "C'mon! I've gotta help her!"

My legs felt weak and tired but I forced myself to keep moving. With each step I took, my body was growing more and more unresponsive. I couldn't figure out why until Julia's howl of pain made me stop for a moment. Immediately, a terrible odor burned in my nose and spread through every inch of my body. I paled when I recognized what it was.

There was large quantities of wolfsbane around this place and the scent was making me dizzy and vulnerable.

Julia whimpered as the smell increased by tenfold. "Evan," she whispered, crying out for our mate "Evan help me. Please."

Her pleading hurt me more than I could ever explain. She never begged and she never succumbed to any sort of pain. For her to be begging like this would mean she was in absolute agony.

"Jules," I said in a soft voice "Hold on...."

It was like she couldn't hear me "Evan. Lilly. Somebody get me out of this."

I was starting to lose connection with her. No, I can't lose Julia but I couldn't leave the girl. My legs kept moving against my own accord and eventually, I staggered to the opening of the door.

What I saw was horrifying.

A man was lying over a girl, hand on her mouth and ripping her clothes apart. The girl was continuing to shout and cry as he tore through her soiled shirt. She turned her face to the door and her eyes widened as she looked at me.

I gasped at what I saw. Red hair spilled over her right cheek, her green eyes were wide and full of fear, and freckles splashed across her nose.

"AUDREY NO!" I screamed and staggered further towards the man. I knew what he was doing and I knew her fate. I can't let this happen, I won't let this happen.

But the world was getting darker around me. Her screams were fading as my eyes fought to stay open. My screams of protest were dying in my throat as I sunk to the ground. The wolfsbane was draining me of all energy.

Through my hazy vision I saw the man scream and let his hand go. "You little slut! You bit me!"

"LILY! HELP ME!" Audrey shouted before my eyes shut tightly and I collapse against the doorway.

I woke up with a start and nearly screamed as I was in a cold sweat. The first thing I saw was my mate's shirt. I sighed in relief as I recognized the Nike logo and pressed myself to it. Declan's hold on me became tighter as I came closer. Don't let me go I thought as I shut my eyes and relished in the comfort of his arms Not after something like that. The dream had me shaken so much that I was trembling underneath the blanket.

That's no dream said Julia quietly That's about as real as the rest of the shit we've been dealing with.

My eyes widened in fear And you're sure about that?

There's not a doubt in my mind.

I gulped Oh my god...that means that.....poor Audrey.

I'm surprised she made it this long said Julia I hate to assume the worst but if we don't get there soon, we'll find a dead body rather than our friend.

How? I asked We're so limited on time.

She may not even last a week Julia agreed and I don't want to take that risk. You were right Lilly. We have to save her while we still can.

Jules I said warily I agree with you one hundred percent but how the hell are we going to do that. Audrey could be anywhere in Salt Lake City. We'd have a better chance finding Waldo.

I know Julia's voice broke Goddamn it, I know.

We said nothing for several minutes as I thought about the dream. Audrey was one of the greatest friends I ever had. It broke my heart to say goodbye to her when she left me last year. I didn't stop crying for a week. Mostly because I wouldn't get to see her again but also because Alpha John had forbidden me from calling her. We did everything we possibly could to keep her away from this world. Oh how it backfired on us. We never should've sent her away.

She wasn't a wolf but she sure had the mentality of one. Her strength was unbelievable. Her passion surpassed any other person I'd known. I loved her like a sister. A close, stubborn, and irritatingly proud and mighty sister.

Tears dotted my eyes. How could I have let this happen to her. She didn't deserve this kind of pain. She'd never even dream of hurting anyone and now someone was hurting her so terribly she was at the brink of death. I didn't believe for a second that these dreams were a fantasy of my own creation. I felt like a ghost in them, as if I didn't belong in the scene at all. Dreams don't make you feel that way if they're your own.

How this connection happened is beyond me. I never heard of such a thing happening to any wolf.

Uggh Julia groaned I get the one human in the world that never listens to what I say.

What are you talking about I asked

You and how you don't know a thing about wolves! She exclaimed

I froze Are you telling me you know why these dreams keep happening?

Since I'm so much more knowledgeable than you, yes. She concluded

I rolled my eyes Alright wise one, why do you think this is happening.

It's a burst of Luna power she said Alphas and Lunas have the power to sense when a pack mate is in trouble. These dreams are your powers kicking in, alerting you that something's gone wrong.

But I don't get it I blurted If I can detect this then why hasn't Declan, Alpha John, or even my mother gotten one of these dreams?

First of all, you don't know if that's true Julia stated Just because they didn't tell you, doesn't mean they haven't had such a dream yet. And second, considering they most likely haven't, it makes more sense that only you would see Audrey.

Why? I asked

They never really knew her. To us, she was a pack member. To them, she was just another human. said Julia A Luna can detect her own pack member's pain. Even if there's a million miles between them.

My eyes teared up Well if a pack member is in danger, I'm not going to sit here and let them suffer.

I looked up and saw that I was still engulfed in Declan's arms. Slowly I started to move out of them while doing my best to not wake him.

As usual, my plan didn't work. "Lilly?" he murmured sleepily as I wiggled around.

I froze for a moment not knowing what to do. Green eyes opened to meet my shocked brown ones and narrowed when they saw my expression. "Declan," I whispered "Sorry for waking you."

"No problem," he said with a yawn "what's up?"

"I-I have to use the bathroom," I lied "Could you let me go?"

He nodded and released his arm. I smiled gratefully and got up to leave. The door creaked as I opened it and I winced slightly before walking to the bathroom door.

What's your plan Lilly? What are you doing? Julia asked in a sharp voice.

We're leaving Jules. I told her We're leaving right now.

And doing what exactly? Looking for a missing girl who's stuck miles and miles away from here?

Her vexation caused me no discomfort. I answered her numbly as I walked Yes.

Are you out of your mind! she yelled Weren't you the one that said it'd be impossible to find her?

What do you suppose I do? I retorted She has less than a week Julia! Less than a week! If someone doesn't save her soon, there'll be no one to save at all.

I know that she argued But how is putting yourself in danger, a reasonable way to find her. Wait until morning and tell Alpha John to conduct a search.

I shook my head before she finished No. He's not getting involved. I won't let anyone get involved this time. Besides, I doubt he'll send people out of the pack. Right now, we need every warrior we can get our hands on.

Lilly-

Jules! I cut her off You constantly say that you know the pack better than I do! What do you think an Alpha would do at a time like this?

I reached the bathroom door and quickly went inside while doing my best to quietly shut the door. Julia was silent for several minutes, not giving any sort of response to my question or even giving an indication that she heard what I said.

As I began to grow impatient she answered He would use anything and everything in his power to defeat the rogues.

I squeezed my eyes tightly and sighed So you know that we have no choice. We have to get her out of there. You do realize that we're-

her only hope she finished for me. All traces of irritation were gone.

Exactly. I said Jules I need you. I need you more now than I ever did before. You've never failed in being my support when I needed it. Do it for me now and I swear, I'll never ask again.

Yes you will she sighed But you're right. Now get a move on. If we're going to do this we have to move quickly before anyone notices.

I nodded and sprang into action. Quickly, I brushed my teeth and packed my toothbrush in a Ziploc bag. I grabbed toiletries at random and shoved them all into a plastic bag. With my stuff in my arms, I flew down the stairs and into hall where my backpack was sitting. I took out all of my school supplies and filled it with my bathroom stuff.

Money. Julia added urgently You'll need money to pull this off.

I'm on it I assured her while grabbing my wallet from the kitchen drawer and throwing it into my backpack. What else?

Clothes you idiot! she yelled Go to the laundry room and get some clothes!

I was in too much of a hurry to be mad at her. I ran into the laundry room and searched through the dryer. Thankfully I put a load in the washer and the maids moved it into the dryer that evening. The cycle had just finished in time for me to grab what I wanted.

I pulled the dryer door open and shoved as many articles of clothing as I could into my bag. Nearly the whole load went in and my bag was bulging by the time I zipped it up. I dropped the backpack at the foot of the washing machine and went back to my room. Quietly, I opened the door to find Declan fast asleep with his face pressed against my pillow. While tiptoeing to my desk I grabbed a pen and paper.

My hand shook as I started writing.

Dear Declan,

I'm so sorry you have to wake up to this note that can't even suffice as an explanation for what I've done. Know that I didn't do this because I want to but because I have to.

When I first joined this pack I met a girl named Audrey Jennings. She was one of the greatest friends I ever had. After Jason and I stopped meeting so often, I kind of became a loner. When I moved here, Audrey saw me and made it her mission to be my friend. You could easily say that it worked.

But the problem with being her friend was that she was a human and I wasn't. She knew nothing of our world and I made sure it stayed that way. But when pack business started to interfere with her life, Alpha John had to send her and her family away. It's rare for humans to live here in the first place and she was a clear example of why.

You're probably wondering why I'm telling you this. No explanation or answer is enough so I'll make it blunt; I'm going after her. When I read the Alpha files, I realized a lot of the silver robberies by the rogues were done around her neighborhood. I wanted to know if she knew anything and so I decided to call her. Turns out she was kidnapped and there was an investigation going on to find her.

If you're shocked at reading that then brace yourself. You haven't even heard the worst part. I've been having these dreams where I see her at what I assume is the kidnapper's location. She's beaten and bruised so badly that you can hardly recognize her. She's bleeding so severely that she won't last another week. Declan, I know this sounds crazy but I feel like these dreams aren't even dreams at all but actually visions of what she's going through. And I wouldn't be able to live with myself knowing that she died and I could've prevented it.

The worst part is, I think she was kidnapped by the same rogues that threatened our pack. Call it a hunch or an insanely wild guess. I just can't shake the feeling that I'm right. I have to go to Salt Lake City and save her before it's too late.

Please forgive me for doing this. Please don't come after me and try to change my mind either. I don't want anyone involved, especially you. You're too important for me to lose and you should know that I'm not worth the danger of leaving the pack and hunting me down. Stay within the pack borders and lead the soldiers that Jason brings in. Prepare for war in the best way you possibly can but don't waste time on me. I'll come back; I promise. I'll always come back to you.

Know that I love you to the moon and back. Know that I'll think about you during every day that I'm gone. Know that I was wrong to not want a mate because you are the best thing that ever happened to me. I love you, never forget that.

And I'm so incredibly sorry.

Sincerely,

Lilly

My hand folded up the paper and reached for my piggy bank, sitting on my desk. I slightly tucked the note under my pillow and paused for a moment. Declan looked so peaceful as he slept. It killed me to know that what I was doing would cause him pain the next morning.

"I'm sorry," I whispered " I love you." Gently I kissed his forehead and left my room. Julia whimpered as I grabbed my backpack from the laundry room and shoved the piggy bank in it. Every part of my body told me to go back to bed and burn the note I just wrote. I ignored the temptation and walked out of the house and into the garage. Carefully, I shut the garage door and started one of the cars as the shutter opened up for me. I drove out of the driveway and pressed the button on the car that would close the shutter door.

With a heavy heart I left my mate, my friends, my family, and my life behind in the pursuit of Audrey Jennings. The empty streets became the broken path in front of me. I could only hope that my mission would be a success. Otherwise I may never see Declan again and that note was not a proper goodbye.

Tears pooled out of my eyes as I drove down the road and away from home.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Damn I am just the cliff hanger queen aren't I. I hope you guys liked this chapter.

It's dedicated to a really cool person I met recently called FanaticalFlaws. Check her out right now! She's totally awesome :)

I hope you guys don't hate me too much for separating the beautiful couple. Don't worry, it'll only be for a little while. And there are some big secrets to be revealed. Will you stick around to find out what they are?

I hope you do.

Thank you everyone, for all your amazing votes and comments. You don't know how much you make my day when I go on wattpad and see what you guys say. And I can't even comprehend the fact that I have 67,000 views! That's crazy! You all make my life :)

I'll try to update sooner this time but don't hold me to it. We all know how terrible of an updater I am. But thank you for reading anyways.

-Sydney <3

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.1M 44K 52
#1 Captured 16/11/2019 *COMPLETED* BOOK 3 of the BLOOD MOON PACK. Solomon Nightwalker is the brother of the Alpha of the Blood Moon pack. One of the...
35.2K 993 46
❛ 𝐢𝐯𝐞 𝐧𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐫 𝐬𝐞𝐞𝐧 𝐡𝐢𝐦 𝐜𝐚𝐫𝐞 𝐚𝐛𝐨𝐮𝐭 𝐬𝐨𝐦𝐞𝐨𝐧𝐞 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐰𝐚𝐲 𝐡𝐞 𝐜𝐚𝐫𝐞𝐬 𝐚𝐛𝐨𝐮𝐭 𝐲𝐨𝐮 ❜ ⎯ 𝐈𝐍 𝐖𝐇𝐈𝐂𝐇 the broke...
1.2M 34.1K 35
Everything changed when they came out of hiding, terror spread across the world as people began to question if our presidents and our global leaders...
5.1M 129K 77
"Tell me girl, why did you and your worthless self waltz into my territory?" An unfamiliar voice booms just before me. I keep my head down as my eye...