Better off dead

By Cherrybomb9824

I woke up. Who am I? Where is my family? But most importantly...... How did I get in the Walking Dead? More

Characters
Prologue
Chapter 01: Days gone by Pt. 1
Chapter 02: Days gone by pt 2
Chapter 03: Days gone by pt 3
Chapter 04: Guts Pt 1
Chapter 05: Guts Pt 2
Chapter 06: Tell it to the Frogs Pt 1
Chapter 07: Tell it to the Frogs Pt2
Chapter 08: Vatos Pt1
Chapter 09: Vatos Pt2
Chapter 10: Vatos Pt3
Chapter 11: Wild fires Pt1
Chapter 13: Wildfires Pt3
Chapter 14: TS-19 Pt1
Chapter 15: TS-19 Pt2
Chapter 16: TS-19 PT3
Chapter 17: What Lies Ahead PT1
Chapter 18: What lies ahead PT2

Chapter 12: Wildfires Pt2

350 13 0
By Cherrybomb9824

Rick and Shane dig graves near the campsite on the hill where Amy, Andrea, and Delilah have finished the headstones. The girls are sitting next to the entrance of the hill with Rick and Shane are in the middle of it digging. Rick suddenly pauses and says "Say it."

Delilah glances at them from the corner of her eye being the only one aside from the two men to hear the conversation "Okay. I'm thinking if you'd of stayed here, if you'd have looked after your own... Instead you went off. You took half our manpower with you. I'm thinking maybe our losses wouldn't have been so bad" Shane stops and glared at Rick "If we hadn't gone off and brought those guns back when we did, I think our losses would have been a lot worse. Maybe the entire camp" Rick defends himself.

The truck approaches and Daryl gets out of it "I still think it's a mistake not burning these bodies. It's what we said we'd do, right? Burn 'em all, wasn't that the idea?" Daryl comments, avoiding Delilah's gaze knowing he'll cave for her umber eyes "At first" Shane admits Daryl snarks "The Chinaman gets all emotional, says it's not the thing to do, we just follow him along? These people need to know who the hell's in charge here, what the rules are!" Delilah stands up and slides her hands into her back pockets "There are no rules" she says and Lori appears and snarks "Well, that's a problem, isn't it?"

Delilah glared at her and says "We haven't had one minute to hold onto anything of our old selves. We need time to mourn and we need to bury our dead. It's what people do" Lori glared right back and already knowing the tension between the two females as Delilah had told them about it, considering they already knew about the affair, both blondes stand up and Andrea says while placing a hand on Delilah's shoulder "Delilah's right. We need to experience this grief, if we don't we'll go insane."

Rick and Amy nod in agreement. Shane goes back to digging. Daryl looks at Delilah and groans before agreeing, and starting to remove the bodies from the truck. Lori scowls and storms off making Rick frown as he knows that she hasn't warmed up to Delilah. Delilah sighs before looking back and squeezing Andrea's hand that's on her shoulder "Thanks for having my back" Andrea smiles and says "Of course" then the three of them start helping Daryl unload the bodies. Daryl's side eyes Delilah the whole time.

On the hill the survivors stage a funeral. Delilah and Amy had placed the crosses at the head of their graves. Their name and a personal item marked each grave.

Back at camp, "Burying other people is bad enough, but the thought of one of us..." Rick mutters and Delilah stops him by grabbing his hand and shushing him "Are we safe now, dad? Now that we're all together?" Carl asks worriedly "I won't leave again. I promise you that. Not for anything. Now give me a chance to discuss some things with your mom, okay?" Rick says and Carl nods before saying "Yeah, I need to talk to Delilah too" Rick and Delilah smile and nod. Rick walks away and Delilah says "What's up little man?" Carl holds up Delilah's locket and she smiles before taking it back and putting it around her neck. She leans over and pecks his cheek "Thank you, Carl" Carl smiles and says "No problem!"

Rick approaches Lori and says "All right. All right, Shane blames me for not being here. Do you? We got guns now. We're stronger" "And we have fewer people. That makes us weaker. You want me to say I think you were right? I understand that. All I can say is that neither one of you is entirely wrong. It's the best I can do right now" Lori says irritably "What about the C.D.C.?" Rick asks wanting his wife's opinion "Rick..." Lori sighs "We're at the ragged edge here. We need relief and we got a sick man who needs help. I don't know why people can't see that."

"Well, look at their faces. Look at mine. We're all terrified. If one of us suggested, based on a hunch, that we head toward that city, you'd have no part of it. Tell me something with certainty" Lori demands "I love you. That's all I got" Rick admits, Lori hesitates and bites her lower lip before saying "I love you too."

In the RV, Rick and Delilah enter and join Jim and Carol "His fever is worse" Carol says gravely "You need anything?" Delilah asks sympathetically "Uh... Water. Could use more water" Jim requests in a raspy voice and Delilah nods "I'll get some" she then turns to Carol and says "Carol, can you help me?" Carol nods looking at Evangeline's doppelgänger and follows her out of the RV.

Rick sits next to Jim "You save a grave for me?" Jim asks "Nobody wants that" Rick says "It's not about what you want. That, uh... that sound you hear, that's God laughing while you make plans" Jim argues "What I want, Jim, if... if God allows, is to get you some help" Jim groans and spits. Jim starts being delirious "Watch the mangroves. Their roots will gouge the whole boat. You know that, right? They're all there swimming, even Delilah's there. You'll watch the boat, right? You said you would" Jim says. Rick nods "I'll watch the boat. Don't worry."

Outside Shane joins Lori "I need you to help talk some sense into Rick. Look, this C.D.C. thing, Lori, it's a mistake. So you're backing him?" Shane says "What else would I do? He's my husband" Lori comments "Look, it may be time for you to play the dutiful wife, but you can't tell me that fixing your marriage is worth putting people's lives at risk" Shane argues "I think folks around here can make up their minds without bringing my marriage into it. It's a habit you need to break" Lori snaps "I guess I'll just add it to the list of habits that I'm breaking whether I like it or not" Shane comments referring to their escapades Lori opens her mouth to snap at him when Rick emerges.

"What habits?" He asks as Delilah comes up from behind and looks at the three of them before quickly entering the RV to give them privacy as she hopes that they'll tell Rick about the affair.

"Just talking about my need for a plan, man. So what is it? Are we leaving or not? Maybe y'all just want to stay here. We could hang some more tin cans" Shane covers up making Delilah glare at the floor of the RV before continuing to bring Jim his water. "We can't stay here. We both know that" Rick says and Lori pipes up "I was just telling Shane I think we should trust your gut" earning a glare from Shane and Delilah from inside the RV as she sits down on the bed with Jim "Let's go do our sweep" Shane mutters.

Delilah offers Jim the water "Here" she says softly and lifted his head up to help him drink it. When he lays down he says "Nice little fallen Angel" Delilah realizes that he's hallucinating and nods "Thank you."

In the forest Rick, Shane and Dale depart to sweep the forest for walkers "Tell you what, man, these people, man, they're not convinced. You know? You head to the C.D.C., you might be on your own. You gotta really consider whether you want to put Lori and Carl in that kind of spot" Shane says "I got to do what's best for my family" Rick comments and Shane scoffs "Best for your family? What's that? Exposing them to all kinds of risks?" Rick argues "As opposed to what? Crossing 100 miles of hostile territory? If we're looking for a lifeline, I say swim toward the closest ship, not further out to sea. Why can't you back me up?"

"Look, I want to. It's just... I don't see it" Shane admits "If it was your family, you'd feel differently" Rick snaps "What did you say to me? I kept 'em safe, man. I looked after them like they were my own. That's what I did" Shane snaps back Rick sighs "I didn't mean it that way" "Well, how'd you mean it? Go on, man. How'd you mean it?" Shane demands "You're misinterpreting me" Rick begins Shane rolls his eyes "All right" "You're just hearing it wrong" Rick tries again "Yeah?" Shane asks sarcastically.

"Look, you know... You know I can never repay that debt, okay?" Rick say but stops when a branch snaps. Rick draws away. From a distance, Shane's aim lands on Rick. Glaring, he drops the gun, then notices Dale watching him "Jesus" Dale mutters at Shane's intensity and Shane chuckles "I know. Gonna have to start wearing reflective vests out here. Seriously. Come on, man. Come on, man, let's go. Nothing out here" Shane jokes before walking away. Dale watches Shane leaving, worried.

Dale, Rick and Shane come back to the camp "I've been, uh... I've been thinking about Rick's plan. Now look, there are no... There are no guarantees either way. I'll be the first one to admit that. I've known this man a long time. I trust his instincts. I say the most important thing here is we need to stay together. So those of you that agree, we leave first thing in the morning" Shane speaks to the group

The next day at dawn, Rick tries to once again reach Morgan to advise him of their plan "We're moving out, leaving the quarry. If you heard me yesterday, you may be coming here. If you are, we'll be gone by the time you arrive. I'm leaving a note and map behind for you taped to a red car so you can follow our trail. We're heading to the C.D.C. If there's anything left, it's got to be there, don't you think? Morgan... I hope you were right about that place. I need you to be."

"Everybody listen up. Those of you with C.B.s, we're gonna be on channel 40. Let's keep the chatter down, okay? Now you got a problem, don't have a C.B., can't get a signal or anything at all, you're gonna hit your horn one time. That'll stop the caravan. Any questions?" Shane speaks to the group again and Morales speaks up "We're, uh... We're... we're not going" Miranda, his wife continues "We have family in Birmingham. We want to be with our people" Shane says "You go on your own, you won't have anyone to watch your back" and Morales responds "We'll take the chance. I got to do what's best for my family" "You sure?" Delilah asks concerned.

Morales smiles at her reassuringly "We talked about it. We're sure" "All right. Shane" Rick says "Yeah, all right" Shane agrees "357?" Rick asks Shane nods and Rick hands Morales a gun and Shane hands him ammo "The box is half full" Shane mutters "Thank you all... For everything" Miranda says and Delilah and Miranda hug "Good luck, man" Shane says "Appreciate it" Eliza, Morales daughter, hugs Sophia. Everyone bids the family goodbye and Rick reminds "Channel 40 if you change your minds. All right?"

"What makes you think our odds are any better? Come on" Shane says to Rick and they part ways. A note is sitting on the sports car for Morgan.

On the road Dale is driving his RV, while Jacqui takes care of Jim, who is in pain, and Glenn is next to Dale. Rick is driving a car with Lori by his side, Carl Carol, and Sophia on the backseat, followed by Shane's car, T-Dog's car with Andrea and Amy, and Daryl's truck with Delilah and a motorcycle in the back.

Roadside En route to the CDC, the RV's radiator hose bursts "I told you we'd never get far on that hose. I said I needed the one from the cube van" Dale grumbled "Can you jury-rig it?" Rick asks and Dale responds "That's all it's been so far. It's more duct tape than hose. And I'm out of duct tape" "I see something up ahead. A gas station if we're lucky" Shane says, Jacqui gets out of the RV "Y'all, Jim... It's bad. I don't think he can take anymore" she says then goes back to Jim "Hey, Rick, you want to hold down the fort? I'll drive ahead, see what I can bring back" Shane says and T-Dog speaks up "Yeah, I'll come along too and I'll back you up" "Y'all keep your eyes open now. We'll be right back" While Shane and T-Dog drive ahead to find a replacement, Rick checks on Jim, who is in agony.

In the RV "We'll be back on the road soon" Rick tries to soothe Jim who says "Oh no. Christ... My bones... My bones are like glass. Every little bump... God, this ride is killing me. Leave me here. I'm done. Just leave me. I want to be with my family" Rick protests "They're all dead. I don't think you know what you're asking. The fever... You've been delirious more often than not" "I know. Don't you think I know?" Jim groans "I'm clear now. In five minutes I may not be Rick, I know what I'm asking. I want this. Leave me here. Now that's on me. Okay? My decision. Not your failure."

Rick walks back outside and tells the group Jim's request "It's what he says he wants" Rick sighs and Carol asks "And he's lucid?" "He seems to be. I would say yes" Dale then says "Back in the camp when I said Daryl might be right and you shut me down, you misunderstood. I would never go along with callously killing a man. I was just gonna suggest that we ask Jim what he wants. And I think we have an answer" "We just leave him here? We take off? Man, I'm not sure I could live with that" Shane says "It's not your call, either one of you" Delilah pipes up from beside Daryl.

Rick and Shane carry Jim to a nearby tree "Yeah. That's it" Rick mutters gently Jim groans "Hey, another damn tree" Jim chuckles "Hey, Jim... I mean, you know it doesn't need to be this" Shane says "No. It's good. The breeze feels nice" Jim states Shane nods "Just close your eyes, sweetie. Don't fight" Jacqui says before she kisses him on the cheek. Rick takes a gun and shows him "Jim, do you want this?" Rick offers "No. You'll need it. I'm okay. I'm okay" Jim says "Oh. Hey. Thanks for, uh, for fighting for us" Dale says and Jim nods. The group departs after making goodbye signs to Jim.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

46.9K 797 45
negan x reader even though we are in the middle of the end, i'm happy. i'm safe. i'm with my family. well i was..until the handsome devil came knocki...
287K 8.3K 104
[seasons 4 - 11 ] STRANGERS TO FAMILY, ๐™ž๐™ฃ ๐™ฌ๐™๐™ž๐™˜๐™ ๐™– ๐™œ๐™ง๐™ค๐™ช๐™ฅ ๐™ค๐™› ๐™จ๐™ช๐™ง๐™ซ๐™ž๐™ซ๐™ค๐™ง๐™จ ๐™–๐™ข๐™ค๐™ฃ๐™œ๐™จ๐™ฉ ๐™ฉ๐™๐™š ๐™™๐™š๐™–๐™™ ๐™ข๐™–๐™ ๐™š ๐™ฉ๐™๐™š๐™ž๐™ง ๐™ฌ๐™–๏ฟฝ...
1.6K 54 42
Hey all, this is a book I have actually been writing this book since I was a freshmen in high school. Its about my town and the people I have grown u...
2.5K 137 7
when did it end? all the enjoyment i'm sad again, don't tell my boyfriend it's not what he's made for ๐—ช๐—›๐—”๐—ง ๐—ช๐—”๐—ฆ ๐—œ ๐— ๐—”๐——๐—˜ ๐—™๐—ข๐—ฅ? โ—ฆโ€ขโ—ฆ season...