emmylou | natasha romanoff

By sansasrose

Kennedy Allen remembers the girl with the blue hair, the same way Natasha Romanoff can't forget the girl with... More

summary + cast.
prologue.
the meeting.
the promise.
the interrogation.
part one.
one.
two.
three.
four.
five.
six.
seven.
eight.
nine.
ten.
eleven.
part two.
twelve.
thirteen.
fourteen.
fifteen.
sixteen.
seventeen.
eighteen.
nineteen.
part three.
twenty.
twenty-one.
twenty-two.
twenty-three.
twenty-four.
twenty-five.
twenty-six.
part four.
twenty-seven.
twenty-eight.
twenty-nine.
thirty.
thirty-one.
thirty-two.
part five.
thirty-four.
thirty-five.
thirty-six.
thirty-seven.
thirty-eight.
thirty-nine.
forty.
forty-one.
part six.
forty-two.
forty-three.
forty-four.
forty-five.
forty-six.
forty-seven.
forty-eight.
part seven.
forty-nine.
fifty.
fifty-one.
fifty-two.
fifty-three.
part eight.
fifty-four.
fifty-five.
fifty-six.
fifty-seven.
fifty-eight.
fifty-nine.
sixty.
post-credit #1
post-credit #2
alternate endings.
vormir #1
vormir #2

thirty-three.

6K 323 429
By sansasrose

2016
Germany
Manhattan, New York

"The Quinjet's location is the Leipzig-Halle Airport," Vision informs her, and Kennedy nods her head as she types the coordinates into the Quinjet, setting it to autopilot. She looks over at Peter who was in the Spiderman suit that Tony had made for him.

Beside her, Reagan was fiddling with the glasses that Tony had equipped her with. In a way, the two kids were Tony's protégés. It made Kennedy feel icky that she'd brought them into unknown territory.

"Hey," Reagan says softly as she sets the glasses down, "You okay?"

"Yeah," Kennedy responds, "You?"

"Yeah," Reagan answers, "The Red Room. What is it?"

Kennedy takes a deep breath, "Honestly? I don't know. Not really. I just know that it's a bad place. Natasha told me about it when we were kids, she was horrified to go back there. I was horrified for her to go back. They broke her."

"And her sister is still there?" Reagan asks, "Yelena?"

"Yeah," Kennedy answers, as she looks at her sister with a small smile, "Before there was you, there was Yelena. She's the reason I wanted a younger sister in the first place."

Reagan smiles, "What was she like?"

"Yelena used to talk all the time, ramble on about things, and Natasha and I would sit there and listen. Well, I would. Natasha wouldn't. She loved macaroni and cheese and her dream was to have a giant fluffy dog," Kennedy says with a small smile.

"You're going to go find her, aren't you?" Reagan asks, "Despite the threats and the warnings, you're going to go after her."

"That place destroyed Natasha and she honestly still hasn't recovered. Yelena has been there since before you were born. I have to try."

Reagan stares at her, "Kennedy. You can't save everyone."

"I have to," she says, "I couldn't save dad. I couldn't stop Natasha and Yelena from leaving. I couldn't stop mom from getting sick. I couldn't save them. I couldn't do anything. But these are things that I can do, these are people that I can save."

"What happened wasn't your fault!" Reagan insists, "You were a kid."

"Why are you here?" Kennedy asks her sister, "You're a kid. I'm sure you have an eight-a.m. tomorrow. Why are you on your way to Germany."

"Because my family is out there too. Because Wanda's there," Reagan answers, "Because I can do something about it."

"Exactly," Kennedy insists, "The thing is that I could have done something about it. I could have told someone the truth about what was happening with the Red Room. I could have said something, and I could have saved Natasha and Yelena. That night dad wanted to order pizza, but I suggested that he get mom her favorite meal because she'd been craving it. There's been a voice in the back of my head telling me what's happened is my fault."

Kennedy sighs, "I've been sitting here talking about how everyone has been trying to repay some debt to humanity when I'm doing the same thing."

"Yeah?" Reagan asks, "And when do you consider the debt repaid?"

"I don't know," Kennedy responds, "When everyone has been saved?"

"So, when you're dead?" Reagan retorts, "Great."

Kennedy rolls her eyes, "I'm not going to die. Look, after this and getting Yelena back, I'm done. I'll go back to saving people the best way I know how, on the operating table."

"That's a lie and we both know it," Reagan responds, "As long as Natasha is doing this, you're going to be there. As long as the world views Wanda as a threat, you're going to be there. This is your life now and you can't run from it. You're in too deep so you might as well buckle in and get used to it."

"This isn't my life," Kennedy responds.

"It is," Reagan tells her, "Deny it all you want to but we both know what the truth is."

Kennedy sighs, "That isn't the truth. I just want my family."

"I'm your family," Reagan says, "Mom is your family. Do you ever think about us when you're doing all of this?"

"You're following me. Your dream was to work for Tony Stark. You want to be like Natasha."

"Because I want to be able to protect you," Reagan states, "Dad is gone. Mom still has cancer. You are all I have, Kennedy. Soon it's just going to be us. And when you inevitably die trying to save everyone, who do I have?"

"I'm sorry," Kennedy tells her, "Look I mean it. Once I save Yelena, I'm done. And you can quit all of this, and we'll go back to being a boring all-American family."

"We'll never be a normal all-American family," Reagan responds, "You're going to marry a Russian assassin that's very anti-American."

Kennedy smiles, "It'll be over soon. I promise."

"Okay," Reagan responds, "I believe you."

The rest of the flight to Germany is pretty much spent in silence as Reagan helps Peter with his paper and Vision and Kennedy exchange small talk.

"What project was HYDRA and the Red Room working on?"

"It was the revival of the Winter Soldier project," Vision informs her, "There was a man by the name of Wilfred Nagel, he was HYDRA and then CIA. He was working on a stable super-soldier serum. He reversed it from that of Isaiah Bradley's."

"Is the super-soldier program still active? On the Red Room's end?"

"It is," Vision informs her, "Except with the original Winter Soldier project they were too hard to control. They still had their will, unless the words were said. This program robs them of free will completely."

"Has the serum been successful?"

"No," Vision tells her, and Kennedy nods her head.

"That's good."

"Until science prevails, and it does work," Vision tells her. He averts his attention to the windshield, "It seems that we've arrived."

Kennedy looks through the windshield and switches off the autopilot before going to land the Quinjet on top of the parking deck, "We're landing you guys. Vision who's in the area?"

"I'm picking up several heat signatures. Mr. Stark. Miss. Romanoff. Colonel Rhodes. King T'Challa. Sergeant Barnes. Captain Rogers. Mr. Wilson. Miss. Maximoff. Mr. Barton. And an unfamiliar person is amongst them."

"Alright," Kennedy says, "Do not engage in combat, but if someone throws a punch, you punch back. If things get serious, Reagan and Peter you're done. Go to the jet and await further orders."

"Roger," Reagan states, "Is that what you guys say? Or is it copy?"

"I like copy," Peter says nodding his head, "Copy that!"

Kennedy looks over at the two of them, "Please do not make me regret this."

"Roger that."

"Copy that."

Kennedy sighs as she opens the door of the Quinjet. They make their way down the stairs and over toward the parking garage. She had a view of what was going on, there were two teams, and everyone was fighting each other.

"Peter, get Steve's shield," Kennedy orders, "Reagan, blast Tony."

"Copy that."

"Roger that."

"Go," Kennedy orders and Peter picks up Reagan and uses his web to swing down to the level of the parking deck where everyone was fighting. She looks at Vision, and he gives her a nod as he flies down.

Kennedy takes the stairs.

There were a lot of them.

When she reaches the level that everyone had been fighting on, she sees Peter with Steve's shield and Tony standing up which meant that the two teens had done their jobs.

"What the hell are you two doing here?" Tony asks, "Peter you don't even have a passport!"

"I got one yesterday," he tells him, "Dr. – Kennedy helped me get it?"

"Kennedy?" Natasha asks, "She's here?"

"Yeah," Reagan answers, "And she's super pissed at you guys, so good luck!" she looks over at Wanda, "Something tells me you'll need it the most when she specifically told you not to leave the house."

"You told her where I went?" Wanda asks.

"What was I supposed to do? Lie?"

"Yeah!" Wanda exclaims, "That's exactly what you're supposed to do."

"Well sorry that I care about you and was concerned that you might be getting yourself into trouble!" Reagan responds. Wanda's glare softens as she looks at Reagan.

"You care about me?" Wanda asks.

"Sorry to interrupt this tween love confession because we all know that Reagan is in love with Wanda," Tony says, prompting wide eyes from Reagan and a look of confusion from Wanda, "But you two need to pack your things and go back home."

"We will," Peter says, "When you guys stop this."

"What he said," Kennedy says, and all eyes turn to her. She walks to the center of the airport, joining the team that had once been fighting amongst themselves.

"You're supposed to be at home," Natasha tells her.

"Yeah? So are all of you," she responds, "Especially you, Wanda. Thought you were done with all of this?"

"I wanted a chance to redeem myself," Wanda tells her.

"Look at yourselves!" Kennedy exclaims, "I mean really look at yourself. We're friends. We're family! And we're letting a document tear us apart."

"This isn't about the Accords anymore," Tony states, "This is about Steve. This is about him choosing Barnes over us."

"This is about Tony always looking for the easy way out. He's never had to fight for anything in his life," Steve retorts.

"Shut up," Kennedy tells them both, "You're both wrong."

Kennedy looks at everyone, "We're all being played. Bucky didn't bomb the UN. He didn't kill King T'Chaka."

"How do you know that?" T'Challa asks as he takes off the helmet to his Black Panther suit.

"Because I know," Kennedy retorts, "The UN bombing was meant to draw Bucky out of hiding so that whoever the guy was could get a mission report of something that Bucky did years ago."

"What was the mission?" Tony asks. Kennedy didn't know what the mission was exactly, but she did know that it related to the Winter Soldier Program. She looks over at Steve and Bucky, but Steve doesn't say anything.

"What was the mission?" Tony asks again.

"Tony," Steve says.

"What? Just tell us the mission," Tony says

"December 16, 1991," Steve states and Kennedy's eyebrows furrow as she recognizes the date. She'd been a girl then, barely five years old, but the world had mourned for Howard and Maria Stark who'd perished in a car accident. It was a core memory, something that you don't understand but can never forget.

Tony's jaw clenches. Rhodey walks over to Tony, but he shoves him away as he walks closer to Steve, "What was the mission?"

"Tony, you know-"

"Tell me," Tony orders before directing his attention to Bucky, who was standing there silently, "You know what? How about you tell me. What was the mission?"

Bucky doesn't say anything but instead stares at the ground.

"Tell me!" Tony yells.

"My mission was to take the super serum that Howard Stark had created. I was given the order to take it by any means necessary and to leave behind no witnesses," Bucky says, his throat bobbing as he makes his admission.

Tony's breathing changes and he almost stumbles backward at the admission. Everyone is silent as they look at the two men.

"You – you killed my parents?" Tony asks, "My father?"

"He wasn't himself," Steve says as he steps between Bucky and Tony.

Tony looks over at Steve, hurt all over his face. The action alone indicated what side Steve had chosen.

"He killed my father. He killed my mother!" Tony exclaims, "He killed my parents! I don't care that he wasn't himself. He took my mother from me! He robbed my kids of ever knowing their grandparents and for that, I am going to kill him."

No one is able to stop Tony as he raises his repulsor and blasts Bucky in the chest, sending the super-soldier stumbling backward. Tony was seeing red as he began to walk toward Bucky. Steve steps in front of him.

"Tony, you don't want to do this."

"Move," Tony orders, "Or I'll move you."

"He wanted to see an empire fall," Kennedy mutters as she looks over at Steve and Tony, "He wanted to see an empire fall!"

"What?" Natasha asks.

"The doctor? He said that he wanted to see an empire fall. We're all assuming that he wanted to topple the government of a country, but why get Bucky out of hiding? Why ask about the mission report? Why kill King T'Chaka?"

Kennedy looks at T'Challa, "Your father was the king of a country that had recently been all over the news. His death would get media attention and begin a manhunt for whoever set that bomb in Vienna."

She looks at Bucky, "He knew that you killed Howard and Maria. He used the bombing to lure you out so that he could get time with you to learn about the mission. He knew Steve would stand by Bucky. That Sam would follow Steve's lead. Natasha and Rhodey had signed the Accords. They were going to stand with Tony."

"The rest was random," Kennedy states, "T'Challa wanting revenge on Bucky added insult to injury. Wanda's visa being in the air. Clint being retired and not signing the Accords. Those were factors that played into his game."

She steps in front of Tony, "Look at me."

Begrudgingly, Tony looks down at her and she shakes her head, "You are Anthony Stark. You are Iron Man. You are not going to let some man get the best of you because you are better than that."

"He killed my mom," Tony tells her, his lip quivering.

"I know," Kennedy says, "I know Tony. And we will deal with that. But there are ten super-soldiers, unhinged killers. He wants to see the destruction of the Avengers and that could still happen if these soldiers are unleashed."

"What am I supposed to do?" Tony asks her.

Kennedy takes a deep breath, "You go, you fight, and then we unhash this."

Tony nods his head and Kennedy wishes that she could hug him. She looks over at Steve and Bucky and while she knew that Bucky couldn't fully be held accountable for what happened. But then there was Steve. Kennedy could understand that Steve was loyal to Bucky, but he disregarded Tony's feelings on the situation. That she didn't understand.

"We have thirty-six hours," Tony states, "Thirty-six hours to stop these soldiers without the Accords. And thirty-six hours to find this man who wanted to see an empire fall."

Tony looks over at Steve who gives him a nod. He looks away from Steve and over at Rhodey who places a hand on Tony's shoulder, "I'm with you."

"Me too," Natasha says.

"I also will help," T'Challa states.

"One last ride," Clint says.

Steve, Sam, and Bucky were already in. All eyes go to Wanda. She looks at everyone and then at Kennedy and lastly at Reagan who was the only person not looking at Wanda.

"I'm going home," Wanda says.

And then everyone's eyes go to a guy wearing a red suit. Seeing that everyone was looking at him, he raises his hand, "Uh hi. I'm Scott Lang. I get small and really big."

"Nice to meet you, Scott! I'm Peter!" he greets, lifting his hand in a wave.

"Oh wow, you sound really young," Scott states.

"I-," Peter clears his throat, making his voice deeper, "I don't sound that young."

"It's nice to meet you, Scott," Kennedy says.

"You too, Dr. Allen. Huge fan of the way you boss everyone around."

Kennedy smiles at that, "Interested in taking on some super soldiers?"

"Yeah!" he says, "I'm totally in."

She looks at Tony, "Thirty-six hours."

He nods his head, "You get the kids to safety, okay? And take Vision with you."

"I will," she says, "Thank you, Tony."

He nods his head before heading off. Kennedy takes a deep breath as she looks at Natasha who walks over to her.

"What happened to staying home?"

"Steve convinced Wanda to come to Germany after I specifically told him to leave her out of it. And then the way that he treated Tony," Kennedy squeezes her eyes shut, "We were a family. We've been there for each other. I threw Steve a birthday party! And he was willing to-"

"I know," Natasha tells her, "I know."

Kennedy shakes her head, "They can't come back from this."

"I know," Natasha repeats with a sigh, "I know."

"We can talk about it when you come home," Kennedy says, "I'm officially done this time. Thought I'd do what I could to save the Avengers from collapsing any more than they already have."

"You did good," Natasha tells her, "My honorary Avenger."

Kennedy looks away from Natasha, "Um when you come home we have a lot more to talk about. But it can wait."

"Are you sure?" Natasha asks her and Kennedy nods her head.

"Yeah, it's nothing serious. I'll get in contact with Sharon and see what I can find out about that guy," Kennedy says.

"Okay," Natasha says, "I love you so much."

Kennedy smiles, "I love you too. Go kick some super-soldier ass."

"I will," Natasha says as she leans in and kisses Kennedy on the lips, "I love you."

Kennedy laughs, "You already said that."

"I know," Natasha responds, "I just want you to know that I really do love you."

"I love you too," Kennedy says, "Now go."

Natasha kisses Kennedy once more before she follows after everyone. Kennedy smiles as she watches her walk off. Natasha looks back and Kennedy gives her a wave. Natasha's smile widens as she turns around.

Kennedy takes a deep breath and looks at Vision, Reagan, Wanda, and Peter who were looking at her expectantly.

"Let's get on the Quinjet," Kennedy says.

"Can I web there?" Peter asks and Kennedy nods her head. Peter pumps his fist in the air and looks over at Reagan, "Want a ride?"

"Swing me, Spiderboy," Reagan says, making Peter scowl, but he wraps his arm around her waist as he shoots a web onto the parking deck, swinging away.

"I know you're mad at me," Wanda says, "I'm sorry."

"I'm not mad," Kennedy says, "Just disappointed."

"Wow okay that hurts a lot more," Wanda mutters, "Look, I know I told you that I didn't want to do Avenger work anymore, but if I've learned anything from you, it's that I am supposed to help when it's needed. Steve said he needed my help. So, I was there. Family helps family."

"I'm not disappointed in you," Kennedy states, "You did what I would do and for that, I can't be upset. I just wish you would have told me."

"I'm sorry," Wanda tells her, "I promise I'll be transparent with you from this point forward."

"Good," Kennedy states.

"And you have to be transparent with me," Wanda states, "Did you tell Nat the truth?"

"I tried to but there was so much going on," Kennedy responds, "I told her that we'd talk about it when she gets home."

"At least you tried," Wanda tells her, a small smile creeping on her lips, "Do you know how cool you are? You got all of them to work together, despite their differences. It takes a really powerful person to do that."

"I just told them the facts," Kennedy states, "They made the decision to work together."

"Sure," Wanda says with a smile, that quickly slips away as she hears the cheers of Peter and Reagan who were swinging around. She clears her throat, "Um about what Tony said, is Reagan the sad, poor soul crushing on me?"

"I cannot confirm nor deny that," Kennedy states, "But I know that Reagan does care for you. You're the reason she came to Germany."

"Really?" Wanda asks.

"Yeah," Kennedy says as she throws an arm around Wanda's shoulders, "So about that dating question?"

"Shut up," Wanda mutters, her cheeks flushing.

They get in the Quinjet and Kennedy puts it on autopilot as she calls Sharon.

"Current government fugitive," Sharon says.

"Really?" Kennedy asks, "They fired you?"

"I didn't really give them the chance before I ran off," Sharon tells her, "Stealing Captain America's shield does seem like a fireable offense though."

"Well, I have rehirable information," Kennedy states, "James Buchanan Barnes is not the one responsible for placing the bomb in Vienna."

"Who is?"

"There's been a report of a murder," Vision informs her, "Dr. Theo Bressard. He was who was supposed to interrogate Barnes. There's footage of him meeting a man before the interrogation. A Colonel Helmut Zemo."

"Colonel Helmut Zemo," Kennedy relays the information, "Get that to your boss and I'm certain that you will have your job back and potentially a raise."

"I need a motive, babe," Sharon tells her, "That'll get me the raise."

"Zemo was a part of a Sokovian covert kill squad," Vision informs her.

"Zemo is Sokovian. Check the record of deaths in the Sokovia incident. Run his last name. I think he might have lost someone. Revenge is the only thing that makes sense," Kennedy tells Sharon.

"You're the best," Sharon tells her, "Love you."

"You know I've got you, babe," Kennedy says, "Good luck Sharon."

"Thanks, Ken."

The call ends and Kennedy looks over at Vision.

"I'd say that was a successful mission," Vision tells her.

"I agree," Kennedy states, "But now we have a new one."

They reach New York and Kennedy safely returns Peter to his aunt safely. And with the help of Reagan, he'd also managed to have his paper done a week early. He'd hugged Kennedy when she'd dropped him off and thanked him for the best weekend of his life.

Reagan and Wanda were being weird. Their conversations were short and to the point and Reagan seemed eager to return to her Columbia dorm room, something that never seemed to occur.

And then they were home, where things seemed to be normal.

Except Kennedy had forgotten one small problem.

Valentina.

She'd agreed to meet with the woman and had told her to set the time and place.

The Avengers had met their thirty-six-hour deadline and had brought in Helmut Zemo who was to be taken to a prison known as the Raft where he'd serve for his crimes, something that seemed to please King T'Challa.

Bucky had been taken to Wakanda where he was going to be put under until they figured out a way to break his mind compulsion. Clint had returned home to his family as though he'd never broken his retirement.

The Avengers returned to the facility where they were to have a meeting on what their next step was after everything that had occurred in the last couple of months. Everyone was gathered in the conference room, and it felt like déjà vu from when Ross had first presented them with the Accords.

No one said anything and Kennedy looked at everyone's faces. No one wanted to be the first to speak.

"The Accords are still in effect," Tony states, "Some of us signed and some of us didn't. But the way I look at this, that doesn't matter."

"What do you mean?" Natasha asks.

"I mean that we're done," Tony states, "Or at least he is."

Tony looks at Steve, who looks up at Tony curiously.

"I'm done?" Steve asks.

"Yeah," Tony says, "You are done. You chose Barnes over us. The shield that you wield, my father made that. You know, the guy that your best bud killed? You aren't worthy of it. You aren't worthy of any of it."

"Do all of you feel this way?"

"Yes," Rhodey agrees instantly, "I think that you were selfish not signing the Accords and I think you stabbed us all in the back when it came to Barnes."

Steve nods his head as he stands from his seat and grabs the shield, placing it on the table, it lands there making a loud noise.

"I'm sorry that things played out the way it did," Steve apologizes. Sam stands from his seat.

"If he goes, then I go."

"Sam –" Kennedy begins.

"No, let him," Tony states, "Without Barnes around, Cap needs someone to carry around his jockstrap."

"Tony," Natasha says, "That's enough."

"I thought we were friends," Tony says shaking his head as he looks at Steve, "I trusted you with my life."

"We were friends, Tony," Steve states, "I didn't want to hurt you."

"Yeah? Nice work. Well done. You play this high and might act but cut the crap. You're just as bad as the rest of us. In some ways, you're worst."

Steve doesn't say anything. Instead, he nods his head and turns to head out of the conference room, Sam on his heels. Kennedy stands and follows the two men out of the room and to the facility front entrance.

"Steve," Kennedy says, "Tony is upset."

"I know," Steve responds, "He needs time to cool down, I get it. I'll go."

"You guys will be able to come back from this," Kennedy tells him, "I know it."

Steve nods his head and pulls her in for a hug.

"Take care of yourself," Kennedy tells him.

"I will."

She pulls away from Steve and looks over at Sam, tears in her eyes. He smiles at her as he pulls her in for a hug.

"I still want to be a bridesman," Sam tells her.

"Okay, I'll hold off on the ceremony," Kennedy tells Sam with a smile.

Steve reaches into his pocket and pulls out a phone. He holds it out to Kennedy, and she looks at it curiously as she takes it.

"If you guys ever need me, just give me a call and I'll be there," Steve tells her as he shoves his hands into his pockets, "I know how things went down, but I still consider you all my family."

Kennedy smiles at Steve and nods her head. He gives her one last smile before heading out of the facility, Sam trailing behind him. Kennedy looks at the phone and heads into the conference room where Tony was the only one left.

She places the phone on the table before him. He looks at it and then at her.

"Steve said to call him if there's ever an emergency," Kennedy states. Tony looks back at the phone and doesn't say anything. Instead, he simply nods.

Kennedy's phone buzzes and she looks at it.

Let's meet now. The Smith.

"I have to go," Kennedy says, "Tell Natasha that I went into the city?"

"Sure," Tony responds. Kennedy looks at him and kisses his cheek before heading out of the conference room.

She heads to The Smith, a restaurant in Manhattan. She takes a seat and isn't surprised when a moment later, the seat across from her is filled. Kennedy looks at Valentina and isn't surprised to see that it looked like she hadn't aged a day.

"Valentina Allegra de Fontaine," Kennedy states.

"Kennedy Emily-Louise Allen," Valentina says with a smile, "My have you grown."

"What do you want?" Kennedy asks.

"Straight to the point," Valentina states, "Well I've been keeping up with you in the news. Saving world leaders. Saving the Avengers from collapse. You've accomplished so much with so little."

"What's that supposed to mean?" Kennedy asks.

"I mean you're just a doctor. Don't you ever wish for more?"

"More?" Kennedy asks.

"You know," Valentina says, "Powers. Enhancements. Something!"

"I want none of those things. I'm not a hero. I just want to live a simple life. Get married, have kids, that's it so you've wasted your time arranging this meeting," Kennedy says as she stands.

"I don't think I have," Valentina says, "Sit down."

Kennedy's taken back by the command, "You don't command me."

"Oh, I know that," Valentina tells her, "But what I have to say is going to be of great interest to you if you want to keep the peace."

Kennedy sighs as she does sit down, "What do you mean?"

"Super soldier serum," Valentina tells her, "Every country in the world has been trying to replicate the serum that created Steve Rogers and many have failed. Until now that is."

"What?" Kennedy asks, "No that's not possible."

"Except that is because I have it," Valentina states as she reaches into her bag and pulls out a blue vial, "Now I know that you don't want this to fall into the wrong hands. Red hands if you will."

Kennedy looks at Valentina, eyes narrowing, "What are you implying?"

"Steve Rogers was chosen to be the first super soldier because of who he was. At his core, he was a great man. Brave, compassionate, driven, willing to give his own life for others. There has been no one to have as many great characteristics. Until you."

"Super serum is said to enhance personalities. If there's good they become better. If there's bad it becomes worst. That's what happened to those Winter Soldiers that the Avengers took care of recently," Valentina states.

"But if you take that serum, you keep it out of the hands of bad people because we know that you are good at your core," Valentina tells her, "You're not a soldier or a spy. You're just a good woman."

Kennedy looks at the serum.

"You have no reason to trust me," Valentina tells her, "But when I was a S.H.I.E.L.D agent, I had a knack for seeing potential. It was a special skill of mine. So, imagine my surprise when a nine-year-old as smart and as loyal as you came in. I couldn't believe my eyes."

Kennedy doesn't say anything as she continues to look at the serum. Valentina slides it toward her.

"You can take it, or not. But know that when word of the serum gets out, governments around the world will be fighting for it," Valentina tells her, "You're the peace-monger right? You wouldn't let that happen."

Valentina smiles at Kennedy as she stands up, "Have a lovely day."

Kennedy stares at the serum before taking it and shoving it into her jacket pocket before heading out of the restaurant. She doesn't head to her car and instead decides to take a walk as she thinks of what she could do with the serum.

She considers destroying it, but then she thinks of her mother and the fact that the serum's elements could potentially cure her cancer. It could cure several diseases if she took it to Helen Cho.

Her phone rings and Kennedy answers it, "Hello?"

"Hey!" Reagan says, "What are your thoughts on a night hanging out with your younger sister?"

"Yeah," Kennedy says with a smile as she takes a seat on a park bench, "I'd love that."

"Great," Reagan says, "Because I need to talk to someone about Wanda."

"Still haven't talked to her?"

"No," Reagan answers, "I don't know what to say and what if she doesn't like me back?"

"Then you move on," Kennedy responds noticing a woman standing across the street.

"That's hard," Reagan replies, "I've never been the person that moves on, I'm the one you need to move on from."

"Well there's a first time for everything," Kennedy tells her sister. She looks to her right to see a woman standing there alone as well and she got a bad feeling in the pit of her stomach. Her hand went in her pocket as she gripped the serum.

"Reagan," Kennedy says, "I think I might have to skip out on girl's night."

"What? Why?" Reagan asks, "Is it because you feel like you're betraying Wanda by listening to me ramble about her? We don't have to talk about her, we can talk about the fact that Peter won't stop bothering me. He's like an annoying little brother."

Kennedy looks to her left and there's another woman who was haphazardly placed. She squeezes her eyes closed at the fact that her actions had caught up to her.

"Hey so there's this song that I think you should recommend to Natasha," Kennedy states, "It's called Bluebird Wine by Emmylou Harris. She'll love it, it'll remind her of home."

"Kennedy, what are you talking about?" Reagan asks.

"Tell her the song and she'll know what I'm talking about," Kennedy says, "We'll have girl's night, I promise. I love you so much, Reagan."

"Kennedy, what's going on! Kennedy!"

Kennedy ends the call and takes a deep breath as she shoves her phone into her pocket. She stands from the bench and heads into the nearest shop and heads straight for the bathroom, locking the door and pulling the serum out of her pocket.

On the other side of town, Reagan frantically dialed the number of her sister-in-law. Natasha picked up after the second ring.

"Hey, Reagan."

"Bluebird Wine by Emmylou Harris," Reagan states, "Does that mean anything to you?"

An anchor drops in the pit of Natasha's stomach, "What happened to Kennedy?"

"I don't know!" Reagan exclaims, "We were talking, and then she randomly said that we should listen to Bluebird Wine. That it would remind you of home. What does that mean?"

She doesn't want to believe it, but it instantly clicks for Natasha. Kennedy had been trying to tell her that she was in trouble but had been pushing it off in favor of Avenger's drama. When she'd found Yelena, they had also found Kennedy. And they knew what Kennedy meant to Natasha.

She'd been careless and now her greatest fear had come to fruition.

"Kennedy's been taken," Natasha states as a million thoughts run through her head.

"By who?"

Natasha's jaw clenches as she settles on one feeling and one feeling alone, something she hadn't felt since she thought she might lose Kennedy to Fitz all those years ago.

Fear.

Natasha takes a deep breath as she remembers Reagan was on the phone desperately waiting for an answer on who were her sister's abductors.

"The Red Room," Natasha answers, "Kennedy has been taken by the Red Room."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

113K 4.1K 56
Aloisia spent years travelling between planets before finally settling on earth, where she met Natasha Romanoff Natasha Romanoff x fem!oc Follow even...
33.5K 805 21
You had just recently moved to America from the UK for a fresh start since your family and most of your friends hated you. It wasn't your fault; you...
8.4K 171 15
A story of Y/n Stark, x natasha romanoff Y/n is a 23-year-old famous singer and actress. Y/n loves to do the things she knows; singing, acting, sl...
359K 13K 63
𝐈𝐍 𝐖𝐇𝐈𝐂𝐇 Howard Stark's younger sister becomes an inventor and falls for the blue-eyed super-soldier steve rogers x grace stark (oc) captain a...