fifty-seven.

2023
Manhattan, New York

Kennedy groaned and winced as she reached up and touched her forehead. When she pulled her hand away she saw that there was blood. She groaned as she sat up, pieces of rubble falling off of her as she rose to her feet.

"Natasha? Anya?" Kennedy called out.

"Here," Anya groans out.

"Same," Natasha says as she rises to her feet.

Kennedy holds her side as she limps over to Anya, holding a hand out and helping the younger girl to her feet.

"Weapons?" Natasha asks.

Kennedy reaches down and holds up her gun, "One mag."

"No weapons," Anya states, "I thought this was going to be observation day. You know like when you go on a field trip, and you just look at stuff? So, um no weapons."

"I've got one mag too," Natasha sighs as she holds up her gun.

"What was that?" Kennedy asks, "It looked like a spaceship right?"

"It was," Anya says nodding her head, "Did something follow you from the past?"

"Not us," Natasha says as she looks over at Kennedy, her gaze softening, "You're bleeding."

"I'm fine," Kennedy tells her, "We need to get up there. The stones are somewhere and we need to keep them out of whoever's hands."

"I can track anything," Anya says, "Leave the gauntlet to me."

Natasha places her hands on both of Anya's shoulders, inspecting her, "Be careful. I refuse to be the one to tell Kate that you died trying to save the world."

"If I die, please tell Kate it was a car accident or a really bad allergic reaction. She doesn't know anything."

"Anything?" Kennedy asks, "Like not about the Red Room or your training or the fact that you're like a bloodhound without the senses?"

"No."

Kennedy facepalms, "You might want to tell her! That's something you tell someone after like a year together! You guys have been together for like three!"

"I know," Anya says, "I'm just scared you know? What if my past is too much for her? What if she hates me?"

"Does she not question how we're related?" Natasha asks.

"I just told her I'm adopted and when you bring up adoption people get uncomfortable and don't ask questions, especially since you know, I look a lot different from you," Anya shares with them.

"Anyone copy?" Natasha hears in her comms.

"Steve?" Natasha asks, "You alright?"

"I'm good," Steve says, "You?"

"We're fine," Natasha replies, "Any idea where the stones are?"

"Not with us," Steve answers.

Natasha nods her head, "Okay we're going to get Anya on the case."

Natasha looks at Anya, "Can you do this and not get yourself killed?"

Anya's eyes narrow slightly, "I'm offended that you're doubting me right now."

"I'd never doubt you," Natasha says as she hands Anya her gun, "You're my little sister, which means you've got this."

"Yeah I do," Anya says as she takes Natasha's gun. She nods her head up toward a lose pipe, "There's a breeze coming from up there. That's how you'll get out of here." Anya begins walking in the opposite direction and pauses, "Um if I do die, tell Yelena that I was single the last five years."