House of Winter

By ellekirks

FANTASY TRILOGY SERIES ✩ Book 1: HOUSE OF FIRE {patreon exclusive} Book 2: HOUSE OF WINTER Book 3: HOUSE OF N... More

Chapter 1, Part 1
Chapter 1, Part 2
Chapter 2, Part 1
Chapter 2, Part 2
Chapter 3, Part 1
Chapter 3, Part 2
Chapter 4, Part 1
Chapter 4, Part 2
Chapter 5, Part 1
Chapter 5, Part 2
Chapter 6, Part 1
Chapter 6, Part 2
Chapter 7, Part 1
Chapter 7, Part 2
Chapter 8, Part 1
Chapter 8, Part 2
Chapter 9, Part 1
Chapter 9, Part 2
Chapter 10, Part 1
Chapter 10, Part 2
Chapter 11, Part 1
Chapter 11, Part 2
Chapter 12, Part 1
Chapter 12, Part 2
Chapter 13, Part 1
Chapter 13, Part 2
Chapter 14, Part 1
Chapter 14, Part 2
Chapter 15, Part 1
Chapter 15, Part 2
Chapter 16, Part 1
Chapter 16, Part 2
Chapter 17, Part 1
Chapter 17, Part 2
Chapter 18, Part 1
Chapter 18, Part 2
Chapter 19, Part 1
Chapter 19, Part 2
Chapter 20, Part 1
Chapter 20, Part 2
Chapter 21, Part 1
Chapter 21, Part 2
Chapter 22, Part 1
Chapter 22, Part 2
Chapter 23, Part 1
Chapter 23, Part 2
Chapter 24, Part 1
Chapter 24, Part 2
Chapter 25, Part 1
Chapter 25, Part 2
Chapter 26, Part 1
Chapter 26, Part 2
Chapter 27, Part 2
Chapter 28, Part 1
Chapter 28, Part 2
Chapter 29, Part 1
Chapter 29, Part 2
Chapter 30, Part 1
Chapter 30, Part 2
Chapter 31, Part 1
Chapter 31, Part 2
Chapter 32, Part 1
Chapter 32, Part 2
Chapter 33, Part 1
Chapter 33, Part 2
Chapter 34, Part 1
Chapter 34, Part 2
Chapter 35, Part 1
Chapter 35, Part 2
Chapter 36, Part 1
Chapter 36, Part 2
Chapter 37, Part 1
Chapter 37, Part 2
Chapter 38, Part 1
Chapter 38, Part 2
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41, Part 1
Chapter 41, Part 2
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45, Part 1
Chapter 45, Part 2
Chapter 46
epilogue
Update: Book 3

Chapter 27, Part 1

469 72 2
By ellekirks

LUMI

Lumi went to sleep late and was awoken early, and instructed to meditate for an hour before breakfast. She meditated on the sound of her grumbling stomach, until Armo and Eero finally allowed her to eat quickly, before a gruelling day of practising to quell. The more she practised, the worse she seemed to get. Her confidence had all but diminished, and now she barely even quelled their flames on command.

"Your only block is your mind, Lumikki," Armo said sternly.

"I'm worried I'll quell too much," Lumi admitted. "I don't want to hurt you."

"Then you must meditate more on this. A week of silence, to retrain your anxious thoughts. A week of solitude, to escape distractions. A week of fasting, to centre and focus yourself."

Lumi was shocked. "I can't do that."

Armo shook his head. "Nonsense, Lumikki. Tomorrow you will start with a fast in solitude for one day. Only one day. That's easy. Then after a day, you will complete three days. After another day, you will move onto the five day week. We'll start tomorrow. You are dismissed, Lumikki."

Lumi found Tom sitting at the table with Doctor Hart. His broad hands held a teapot, and he was pouring Hart's tea. Lumi noticed as she approached him that his dark hair was getting long, and was almost as shaggy as his wolf's.

Lumi slumped down beside him. "They say I should meditate and fast in complete solitude."

Tom stared at her. "That's absurd," he said, at the same time as Doctor Hart said, "Excellent idea."

"I can't possibly," Lumi said. "It's not going to help."

"Your issue is your own anxiety," Doctor Hart said. "Their suggestion is excellent. I fully endorse it."

Tom and Lumi exchanged glances.

"How was your day?" she asked glumly.

"We've learned more about the liquid star," Tom said. "It's hard to read the texts, because they're all written with a context that we're lacking. We have no idea why the Reunsgardians believe it's so important to protect the star."

"But we have heard the Lombardians have been here. They intend to pump the oil out of the ground and transport it to Lombardia as fuel."

"Fuel?" Lumi asked.

"To power ships and engines," Tom said. "The Kaio have always had fire power, and we saw how powerful that was in the Fire War. The flying ships dropping fire bombs devastated Lombardia and Vastier. But now Lombardia wants the exact same power, except this time it won't be starrling power, it will come from the liquid star."

"And the Lombardians want this in a war against Vastier, I suppose?" Lumi asked.

"Precisely," Doctor Hart said. "But my question remains. Why do they protect it so valiantly?"

"Probably because they know just how dangerous it is," Tom suggested.

Doctor Hart shook her head. "They protect it because it is sacred to them. I am determined to find out why. I have theories, of course, but I want evidence."

Tom shrugged at Lumi's bewildered expression.

"Good luck with the day of meditation and solitude," he said.

"Thanks," Lumi said. "I'm going to need it."

The next day the brothers woke her early. She was allowed to drink water and then she was taken to the cavernous room at the top of the pyramid to begin her full day of meditation in silent solitude.

The footsteps of the men echoed as they left the room, leaving Lumi alone to her thoughts. She sat on a thin cushion in the middle of the room and tried to focus on her breathing.

Quelling was difficult now because of her own fear. If she could face and remove that fear she would be able to quell. But if she could quell, she might kill someone again. What if she killed Tai? Despite everything, she had no desire to kill her brother.

Lumi snapped herself out of her spiralling thoughts and tried to breathe again.

She remembered the horror in Tom's face when he had realised what she had done. She had quelled Meiliu's life from her with magic. It was an awful form of magic and Lumi didn't want to use it again. She didn't want to see that horror in Tom's eyes. She didn't want to scare him away.

He was the only real friend she'd ever had.

Her thoughts were spiralling again. She couldn't do this. She couldn't sit in silence for an entire day. It had barely been one hour and she was already panicking and driving herself mad.

She took another breath and tried again. She focused on the feeling of magic around her. She'd never noticed it before she quelled but now she could feel magic around her. She knew that if she pulled, she could tug it from the very air. Was that what quelling was? She was certain that no one should have that ability. No one should take power.

She considered kinnlings, and their strange relationship with starrlings. Each starrling had a kinnling, and the starrling pulled magic from the creature to improve their own magic. Was that quelling? Was that fair? Lumi had hardly considered it before. It had always been the way of the world. And the kinnlings had never complained, had they? Kinnlings loved their starrlings; they were devoted to them. Was it cruel to steal another creature's power? Or was it freely given from kinnling to starrling?

Lumi found herself standing up. She couldn't sit here anymore. She raced from the cavernous room at the top of the pyramid and found her way to the library.

"Lumi, are you okay?" Tom asked her when he saw her. "You look terrified."

"The first day is always the hardest," Doctor Hart said sagely.

Tom didn't stop to think, but just threw his arms around Lumi. Lumi was startled but so comforted by it that she didn't resist, and instead leaned into his body. Tom wrapped his arms tightly around her and held her. "Stay strong," he told her. "This whole meditation thing is crazy. Just stay here with us."

"For today," Hart said. "But tomorrow, you will try again. Tomas, continue."

Tom let Lumi go too quickly, to grab the book he'd discarded. Lumi sat down across from him and focused on his hands, because she couldn't look at his face. She could feel a blush in her cheeks. He'd hugged her so easily, and to him it had been careless, but she knew she wouldn't be able to stop thinking about it.

Tom spoke out loud what he was reading.

"From Taro's translation: the liquid star is a fallen relic of the gods of ice and fire. The gods who shook the world so that one day it rained ice and the next day it rained fire. These are the gods who have forced Reunsgar into the dark, but they have commanded that Reunsgar shall defend the liquid star with their lives, so that one day the city will be once again brought into the light."

Doctor Hart placed her hand on the chair, and it seemed a signal, because Tom set the book down.

"We're getting somewhere," Doctor Hart said. "Tomas, what are your thoughts?"

"This talk of gods..." Tom said slowly. "I know the Norrlish people once worshipped gods, but that was... at least a thousand years ago. They would pray to gods to warm their hearth and keep away illness. But these were simple gods, of home and hearth and gods to watch over flocks of sheep."

"The Norrlish also had gods of war," Doctor Hart said.

"Ah, I didn't know that," Tom said. "I'm not so familiar with them. I was brought up in Lombardia, where such things are deemed quite silly. Are there old Norrlish gods of ice and fire?"

"Not that I'm aware of," Doctor Hart said pensievely. "There is a god of the hearth, as you mentioned. A god of war, a god of storms and weather. But the closest to a god of ice would be the goddess of the lake."

Tom clicked his tongue. "But this about the gods creating ice and fire that falls from the sky. It doesn't make much sense to me."

"I'm not sure about ice," Lumi said. "But if fire fell from the sky... I think this could refer to a volcano. Perhaps this old text refers to a time when a volcano erupted."

"Ah, Lumiko," Doctor Hart said. "That's exactly what I think."

"A volcano?" Tom said. "Like the Volcano Palace in Singtsu?"

Lumi nodded. "That volcano has been dormant for at least a thousand years, but we have records of eruptions from long before that. Lava exploded from the volcano and it's been described as fire raining from the sky."

Tom's eyes lit up. "Then this Reunsgardian text must refer to a volcano. But why would ice also rain from the sky? Unless it means hail?"

"I'd expect so," Doctor Hart said. "So, the volcano erupted, and possibly there were violent storms during this time. Rain, hailstorms, thunder and lightning."

"That makes sense," Tom said. "But what about shaking the world and plunging Reunsgar into darkness?"

"Quakes happen with volcanoes," Lumi said. "That's the world shaking. But I don't know anything about the darkness."

"But you do," Doctor Hart insisted. "What happened to Stargarzen?"

"The Starg people founded Lombardia and emigrated there," Tom said. "Stargarzen is abandoned."

"Why did they leave Stargarzen?" Doctor Hart prompted.

"Because they only get a few hours of daylight in the summer," Tom said. "And in winter it's dark for months at a time. It was impossible to live there. They moved to Lombardia."

"But thousands of years ago, that wasn't the case," Lumi said, suddenly remembering her school lessons. "There used to be sunlight in Stargarzen. But the pattern of the suns changed and now it's dark there almost all year round."

"The patterns of the suns?" Doctor Hart asked.

"Or the world?" Tom suggested. "This text says the gods shook the world. Maybe when they shook the world, they changed the balance? Now Stargarzen doesn't get any sunlight..."

"And the Lothern-most parts of Alamadi never gets true darkness!" Lumi said.

"Precisely," Doctor Hart said. "The axis of the world has tilted. Whether it was the gods the Reunsgardians spoke of, or something else, there are many academics who believe this theory. Alamadi now sees almost constant daylight - the suns almost never set over Alamadi. And here in the icelands, and further Dorth to Stargarzen, the suns almost never rise here. This is because of the tilt of the world. It wasn't always this way."

"This still doesn't explain the liquid star," Lumi said.

"Ah, but we're getting closer," Doctor Hart said confidently. "I am happy to see that the Reunsgardians have texts that confirm the academic theory of the tilt of the world. But I would like to learn more. Tomas, continue."

Tom kept reading, and the rest of the afternoon Lumi and Tom continued to discuss what they learned with Doctor Hart. Thoughts of the failed meditation slipped out of Lumi's mind until dinner, when she found Armo and Eero staring at her disapprovingly.

x

Thanks everyone who votes on the chapter!

Have you ever done meditation? Do you like it?

I have a lot of anxiety and probably meditation would help but the issue is that I am too anxious to meditate lmao

See you next week!

xx elle

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

182K 9.8K 51
Don't get frostbitten while reading this dark, gripping, passionate retelling of Snow White. Icelyn, the princess of the Winter Realm, is being used...
502 92 32
(Book 1 Spring: The Winter Dragon) Fire, Earth, Water, Ice, Wind, Lightning, Mind and Death. Eight Natures, eight Dragons. For millenia Earth was a w...
21K 1.9K 41
Everyone is still picking up the pieces after Makaela's decision. But with House Tenebris growing closer to their ultimate goal, some things may have...
1.6K 257 41
If you haven't read the first book please do so first A year has passed since Harry and her mother became the newest additions to the Cardiaire roya...