~South Park Style Oneshots~

By ShilohBuff

Just a collection of Stan x Kyle oneshots!! [Artwork is not mine!! It's just so cute I had to use it] More

Every Part
It's a Trap!
♥︎Kiss♥︎
Don't Leave Me
゚。Cute Competition。゚
Spill That Spring Break Tea (1)
Spill That Spring Break Tea (2)
Jews Love Black Lipstick
Spill That Spring Break Tea (Bonus)
Can You Believe This Shit?
Winter Has Never Felt So Warm
Your Aura Almost Drowns Me
A Kiss to Your Wrist is Better Than None

You Shine Brightest in October

3.7K 67 257
By ShilohBuff

9k words

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Stan sits down on the cold bleachers, being able to lean back against the chain-link fence since he's seated at the highest point. The cool October air nips on the parts of his skin that aren't covered in three layers of clothing, and the body heat from the crowds made up of his classmates and other kids attending South Park High School doesn't help. He looks out towards the football field as he hears the cheers of everyone around him, their team scoring another touchdown. Stan feels a little disappointed that he couldn't play for the Homecoming game this year, especially because it would have been his last, but he knows that playing with his sprained wrist wouldn't have helped himself nor his team, so the best he can do is watch from the audience. He exhales and watches his breath disappear against the night sky, closing his eyes for a brief moment until he feels a presence sit beside him.

"Dude, it's so weird seeing you here and not out there," Kyle says as he hands Stan a styrofoam cup of hot chocolate that he bought from one of the food stands. Stan smiles back sardonically.

"Oh yeah, please bring more attention to that. It's not like I'm depressed about not being able to play or anything, don't worry about me."

Kyle grins and playfully punches Stan's shoulder. He then leans back against the fence in a similar fashion.

"How's your wrist?"

"Getting better I think, but it sucks trying to write with my left hand."

"Knowing your handwriting, it probably looks equally as shitty anyway."

Kyle laughs as Stan shoves him, almost spilling his drink.

"At least my handwriting doesn't look like a girl's," Stan retaliates.

"Hey, it does not!"

"Dude, it's like, perfect cursive. Both when the letters lean right and left. Only a girl would put that much effort into making it look that nice."

"That is generalizing, Stan. Girls can have shitty handwriting too you know!"

"Yeah like Shelly's."

They both chuckle like idiots as Stan takes a sip from his cup. Kyle wordlessly takes it and drinks from it as well. There's a spell of silence between them for a moment as they watch the game unfold. People yell as the person with the ball gets tackled to the ground, Stan thinks it may have been Clyde since he hears Bebe and Red laughing. He looks up at the sky and is surprised that he's able to see so many stars, especially from the amount of light pollution that the town gives off.

"It's kinda cool though," Kyle starts, causing Stan to look at him. He raises an eyebrow.

"What, Shelly's handwriting? I can assure you it's not."

Kyle snorts. "No idiot, you sitting here."

Stan blinks at him as Kyle continues, "Like I don't know, it's a little exciting. We can't really hang out during games since you play and all, so right now is kinda fun."

Stan smirks as he thinks about it. It is definitely a new experience. He may be sad about not being out there himself, but hanging out with Kyle always makes him feel better.

"Yeah I guess you have a point."

The two bicker and cheer for their team as the night progresses, and Stan quickly gets over the fact that he isn't able to play. A part of Stan wonders why he joined the team at all if he was missing out on times like this.

"So you're going to the dance, right?" Kyle says, causing Stan's mind to stutter a little.

"Ah, I mean, I guess. I'll go if you and the guys do, but don't you usually hate that stuff?"

"'You guess?'" Kyle echoes in askance, ignoring Stan's question. "You don't have a date?"

Stan tries to grin, wishing that they weren't having this conversation.

"Um, no? Was I supposed to?"

"I thought you were going with Wendy. I mean, last week I heard Bebe be all like, 'I swear Wends, if Marsh doesn't ask you out to Homecoming this year, I'm gonna have to!'" Kyle mimics with a high-pitched voice, causing Stan to laugh a little. He sighs.

"Well, I guess Bebe's gonna take her then, because we're not even on speaking terms now."

Kyle tilts his head in surprise.

"You and Wendy?"

Stan nods. 

"It's been like that for a while actually. I mean, everyone knows that our relationship isn't exactly the most stable, but I try to not let that affect our friendship, because we're cool with each other most of the time. But..."

Kyle stays silent and waits for Stan to continue.

"But I guess all that got to her. I guess it was only me who thought we were okay, and I totally did not see it from her perspective at all. I mean of course, how are you supposed to know what you feel about someone if you think you're in love with them one day but then absolutely despise them the next? It definitely took a mental toll on her. So, she thinks it's best if we don't talk for a while."

Kyle wears a worried expression and lets out a breath.

"Oh dude, I'm sorry for bringing it up, I had no idea. Why didn't you tell me sooner?"

Stan runs a hand through his hair, taking his hat off in the process.

"I know I should've, but I had no idea what to think. Even now, after she told me how she felt, I started questioning how I felt. Was I just tricking myself into thinking everything between us was fine? What if that was just a way to drown out that problem, like I do with all my problems."

Kyle comfortingly bumps Stan's shoulder with his own, causing Stan to continue.

"Now it just feels so weird. I mean, we've all known each other since we were kids. I see her every day, I talked to her every day, and now it's all just gone, so quickly. Do you know what that's like?"

They're quiet, until Kyle answers, not knowing if Stan's question was rhetorical or not.

"I think I have an idea."

Stan's silence invites Kyle to continue.

"Especially with you. You're one of my first friends, and have been my only best friend ever. I can't imagine what I would be like if we just stopped talking, something like that sounds impossible. It'd be so empty. I wouldn't do half the things I do now if you weren't my friend. It feels like, my entire identity would just collapse. I'd be so lost."

Kyle pauses and thinks for a second.

"I don't know if it's because we're always together or if I'm just emotionally stupid, but I think I feel that way sometimes. When you're absent from school, or when I'm up here and you're out there playing, it's like everything just gets painted with muted colors, and things become 100 times more unbearable. Back then, when you were with Wendy and would hang out at her place after school sometimes, I would go home and study, like I always do. Except during those times, doing so just felt so draining, and I would always think of just giving up, and that this town wouldn't lead me anywhere anyway. But then it would be super late at night and you would crawl through my window and suddenly all those thoughts would just go away, and the person who was thinking those thoughts wasn't me at all. And when we walk down the halls at school, you would say hi to Wendy and she would say hi back, and then you would both look like you could overcome anything. Sometimes I wonder what it would be like if I was in her shoes."

Stan stares wide-eyed. Kyle is looking out at the crowd like he's lost in thought, but Stan doesn't take his eyes off him. He doesn't hear the people anymore, and he doesn't feel the cold. He feels like the universe is centered on the two of them. Stan swallows before he softly speaks.

"Kyle..."

Kyle suddenly snaps out of whatever trance he was in and goes visibly red.

"Uh! I mean, what was I saying?"

Before Stan can question anything, they hear Kenny making his way towards them.

"Hey guys! What's going on-"

Kenny gets hit in the head with the football thrown at high velocity, instantly killing him.

Stan and Kyle quickly stand up, shocked.

"Holy shit, they killed Kenny!

"The football team is full of bastards, dude!"

Quickly after Kenny's body is carried away by paramedics, halftime begins as cheerleaders start performing and people leave to get snacks. Stan shivers as a breeze blows through.

"Wanna get out of here?"

Kyle nods and they both make their way out of the school and towards the direction of their street. They bump into each other playfully and talk about weekend plans until they make it to Stan's house, the first one on their block. They walk onto the porch and stand there, Stan taking in Kyle's content expression. This feels familiar, like something out of a corny high school romance film where the couple finishes their date and kisses each other on the doorstep before they say goodbye. Stan quickly shoves that thought away and speaks up when he sees Kyle opening his mouth to say something.

"You should sleep over."

Kyle looks as surprised as Stan feels, his mouth still hanging open as he processes what was just said.

"Oh, nah, I should probably head home. I don't even have clothes or anything."

"I got tons of shit you can wear, dude. Just c'mon," Stan grabs Kyle's wrist and drags him inside. Kyle doesn't seem to be retaliating at all, so Stan takes it as a silent acceptance.

Up in Stan's room, they peel away their multiple layers of clothing and Stan tries to find a clean shirt Kyle can wear.

"You can just throw your shit on the floor," Stan says, looking through his cabinets.

"Yeah, no, I'm not an animal, thanks."

"Oh look at you, folding your clothes all nice and neat."

"Well yeah! Your room is already a mess dude, why would I want to add to all the stuff lying around here. Look, you can't even find anything clean! When was the last time you did your laundry?"

"Uhhh," Stan stops what he's doing and genuinely thinks about it.

"Oh my god, Stan, you're hopeless," Kyle says, voice dripping with fondness. Stan smiles as he throws a shirt at Kyle's face.

"Found one, neat freak."

Kyle swiftly catches it and pulls it over himself, and the instant his head pokes through the top, Stan has lunged into him and has him in a tight hold.

"Woah, dude!"

"Holy crap, how are you so warm?"

Kyle definitely starts to feel so as he tries to squirm out of Stan's arms.

"Stan, c'mon, let me go!"

"No way man, it's a crime hogging up all this warmth."

Stan picks Kyle up and throws them both onto his bed, where Kyle has an easier time wriggling out of his grip and flicks him on the forehead.

"Jesus Stan, you can be such a child I swear."

"Please, you're just as bad as me. I save you all the time."

"Hey, no! I save you way more!"

"That David Blaine cult, your kidney, when you were about to burn the school down..."

"Guitar Hero, that hoarding problem, depression?"

Stan snorts and puts down the fingers he was using to keep count of their heroic deeds.

"Well, you do make my life suck a lot less."

"...and I would probably be dead without that kidney."

"So let's just say we save each other."

"We're both knights in shining armor in our fairy tale," Kyle adds with dramatic flair.

They laugh and tackle each other until they're situated in a comfortable position under the covers. Stan has his face in Kyle's chest with an arm draped over his waist. His legs are cold against Kyle's.

"Wanna go to the dance with me?" Stan asks, Kyle feeling the words reverberating in his chest.

"Oh. Uh, well. I mean, I never really wanted to go in the first place..?"

"That's okay, I'll just ask you to prom instead."

Kyle doesn't know what to think of that, but his face heats up anyway. He makes a noncommittal noise instead. Stan scoots in even closer.

"Why don't you ever take off your hat when you sleep?"

"I don't know, I'm comfy."

"You are comfy," Stan sighs as he closes his eyes, barely missing the small smile on Kyle's face.

Kyle leans over as gently as possible and reaches for the lamp on the bedside table, clicking it off. He settles around Stan and pulls the covers over both of them, and quickly follows into restful slumber.

••

"What should we dress up as tomorrow?"

"Don't you think we're getting a little too old for Halloween, Stan?"

"What are you talking about, you're the one who suggested we go to this very clearly Halloween-themed fair."

"It's a school fundraiser! Literally everyone is here!"

"Yeah, and literally everyone will be dressing up tomorrow, too! What's your excuse now, huh?"

Kyle just gives him an unimpressed stare, although it's hard to stay pretend-mad when the late sun hits Stan's face just right. He turns away.

"Well heya fellas!"

Stan and Kyle look up to Butters waving at them, excitable as always. Stan shoves his hands in his pockets.

"What's up, Butters?"

"This real nice fair, that's for sure! Here, y'all should take a flyer!"

Butters hands out flyers for them to take, but Kyle stops Stan when he reaches out to grab it.

"Butters, you're supposed to give those to people outside the fair, there's no point giving them to people who are already attending."

Butters just shakes his head, grin still high on his face.

"These are flyers promoting Cartman's pumpkin bake sale! You fellas should definitely check it out, he's got pumpkin-flavored everything!"

Kyle squints his eyes in suspicion and Stan looks back and forth between him and Butters.

"That fatass is up to something, there's no way he'd give a rat's ass about school events. C'mon Stan."

Kyle walks past Butters towards the attractions. Stan takes a flyer anyway out of pity.

"We'll probably check it out later. C'ya Butters."

Stan catches up with Kyle and they look around at all the tents, booths, and rides set up. There's a mini Ferris wheel that looks like it'll collapse at any moment, the school gym has been turned into a haunted house, and there's a sickly but festive smell in the air from all the different kinds of food being sold. Every time they pass by a different mini game, Kyle gets a competitive look in his eye that Stan can't ignore.

"Dude, bet I can bob more apples than you."

"You'd drown before you could get one."

"Wanna see who'll score higher on High Striker?"

"You sure you wanna go up against the linebacker on this one?"

"I'm gonna shoot so many bean bags in the hole you won't even know what-"

"Yeah yeah, less talking more throwing."

They play every game they come across, stopping for pizza in between, which also turns into a contest of who can eat the fastest.

They're walking through the section of the field where the tents selling various trinkets are set up when they come across a huge and obnoxious sign. "All-Pumpkin Bake Sale," with the words "expertly crafted by Eric Cartman" underneath.

Kyle sighs and Stan gives a bored look when Cartman calls them over.

"Hey you guys! I'm glad you decided to drop by my excellent food stand."

Kyle just crosses his arms as he and Stan look at the various cookies and pies on display.

"This is definitely all store bought shit, you're not fooling me, Cartman," Kyle sneers. Cartman makes a shocked noise and puts a hand to his chest.

"Now why on earth would you believe that, Kyle, when my bakers are working so hard to create excellent goods for the wonderful people of this school."

Stan shifts his gaze to the back of the tent, where he sees Kenny and Clyde smashing pumpkins into bits and Butters stirring batter in a bowl. Kenny looks up and waves at them.

"As you can see brahs," Cartman continues, "our goods are made from South Park's finest locally-grown pumpkins and are efficiently used here by the school's most honest bakers."

As he says so, Stan sees Butters licking the batter off his whisk and Clyde kicking a pumpkin around like a soccer ball. Kyle is still having none of it.

"You're up to something fatass, and I refuse to support or be involved in whatever it is you're doing."

Cartman scowls.

"And just when I was about to offer you guys a complementary cookie too..."

As Cartman and Kyle bicker like normal, Stan sees Kenny wipe his hands on the apron he's wearing and approach him.

"Hey Stan, you should help out, it's pretty fun. The food isn't even half bad, either. Clyde and I can get 'em for free."

Stan smiles tiredly and glances at Kyle who is still absorbed in arguing.

"Sounds cool, but I think I'll pass."

Soon, a kid with black hair just short of Stan approaches the two, a chill smile on his face and his hands in his pockets.

"Marsh, McCormick," Ike greets. Kenny gives him a fist bump.

"'Sup lil' Broflovski," he greets back, causing Ike to roll his eyes.

"Haven't seen you guys in a while."

Stan gives Ike a lopsided grin.

"I was at your house literally, like, yesterday."

"Doesn't count. I'm also surprised you noticed me there at all with how obsessed you are with Kyle."

"Oooookay.. what did I say about joking around like that?"

"You two were the only ones out of the entire senior class who didn't show up at hoco. People were suspicious yanno."

"Oh c'mon, you know your brother, he's not a fan of that stuff."

"He's a big fan of you, though."

On seeing Stan's growing irritation and Ike's smug grin, Kenny steps up and puts a hand on each of their shoulders.

"Okay, okay, you two. Why don't y'all just enjoy the fair instead. Besides Ike, if Stan and Kyle really hooked up, I'd be the first to know. Right, Stan?"

Kenny gives him a look that makes Stan punch his arm.

"God dammit Kenny, who's side are you on?"

Soon Kyle storms away from Cartman and joins the three.

"Ugh, I swear to God I'm gonna fucking kill- oh hey Ike I didn't know you were gonna show up."

"'Sup bro. Just bothering your friends as usual."

"Of course. Stay away from this bake sale by the way, I don't trust it."

"Oh yeah no, I think I saw Powder Turner get sick after eating one of the pies."

Before Kyle can yell in Cartman's face about it, Stan takes his arm and drags him far, far away from the tent.

"See you guys around I guess."

"Bye-bye Marsh," Ike yells back with a wink. Stan swears he's gonna punch his face one of these days, but Kyle would probably never forgive him.

Stan smiles when he hears Kyle mumble to himself.

"Jesus christ, this happens all the time. Cartman just can't chill out, why does he always have to make everyone's time horrible? Ugh, I'm just not gonna think about it. I'm not thinking about it, I'm not thinking about it."

"Uh dude, I think you're thinking about it."

"Shut up Stan, I'm busy not thinking about it."

Stan slings an arm around Kyle's shoulders and shakes him.

"You can get so worked up. Thank god it's not as bad as when we were kids."

Kyle pinches Stan's ear and jostles him.

Stan is about to grab the arms of Kyle's hat to pull it over his eyes when Wendy, out of breath, comes up to them.

"Guys! Oh thank-" Wendy stops to catch her breath, "Jesus- thank God I found you two. I could really use your help."

Kyle hasn't heard anything about Wendy since the Homecoming game. He glances at Stan and doesn't know how to feel about the smile he's giving her. He also doesn't know how long he can take it. He speaks up.

"What's wrong, Wendy? It's not a Cartman-bake-sale-incident is it?"

"A what? No, the Hallow's Eve play is missing cast members, even the main characters! It's scheduled to start in 10 minutes, and PC Principal is starting to get real antsy. He'll lash out at me if I don't fix this mess!"

Stan raises an eyebrow in question.

"Since when were you in charge of the play?"

"Ever since the council decided it would be best to show it here instead of on Halloween, like they were supposed to. I swear, they're just shoving all their crap-work on us."

Kyle visibly hesitates as he catches up with the situation.

"...You're not here to tell us that we should be in the play, right?"

"Oh please don't make this difficult," Wendy says almost desperately, "you two are all I have left. The kids in theatre are already all-hands-on-deck, and we can't run the show without the two most important roles!"

"What!" Kyle exclaims. "You're telling me that I gotta play as one of those ridiculous Gods? No way, you know how much shit I'll get from Cartman?"

"First of all, they're Spirits. Second, who cares what Cartman says! For someone who hates him so much, you really care about what he thinks!"

"Alright listen you-"

Before Kyle can continue, Stan covers his mouth and smiles warily at Wendy.

"Just give us a second, please."

He takes Kyle a few steps away from where Wendy is crossing her arms and checking her phone for the time. He puts his hands on Kyle's shoulders and speaks to him in a hushed tone.

"C'mon dude, it's just-"

"No way, Stan! You know better than anyone that this won't be lived down so easily for me!"

"I know, I know, but it's just for a little while, okay? I promise I won't let Cartman do shit to you, okay?"

"If you want to be part of this dumb play so bad, be my guest! But I'm taking no part in it."

"But I don't want to do it without you, Kyle! Please do it. If not for Wendy, then for me."

Kyle lets out a steady breath and sees the look on Stan's face. He doesn't understand why he wants to help Wendy so bad, especially when he thought they weren't on speaking terms anymore, but Kyle doesn't want to dwell on the thought for very long. He puts a hand to his forehead as if he were feeling a headache coming on.

"...Fine, but if I hear even one word from Cartman about this, I'm going for your neck."

Stan blinks and gives him a small smile.

"No problem."

Soon the two of them are backstage on a makeshift platform set up in the middle of the field, Wendy fussing around them making sure their costumes look presentable.

"We don't even know what our lines are," Kyle complains, giving in to helping out but not doing so without a fight.

"You'll be fine," Wendy responds as she tightens an autumn-themed headband around Stan's skull, which results in a quiet "ow!"

"We've all seen the play multiple times, it's the same every year. Even if the lines aren't perfect, it'll be okay as long as the story is coherent," she finalizes.

Kyle still looks unsure, but Stan just smiles as he takes in his friend's appearance. Kyle's wearing a long light-blue robe embroidered with snowflakes that drags behind him. He has clips and other trinkets in his hair that give off winter vibes, and Stan's pretty sure Kyle will fully back out if he tells him he looks like a male Elsa. He quickly snaps out of his thoughts when he feels the headband tighten again.

"Ow, Wendy! It's fine, you're gonna crack my skull."

"Quit complaining, now clip your earrings on."

Stan huffs, and his gaze looking for the accessory stops short when he notices Kyle beside him, earrings already in hand. He feels Kyle's fingers against the shell of his ear as he clips them on. Stan doesn't know when it got so hot.

He feels the cool metal clamp onto his earlobe and senses Kyle move to his other side. Stan tries to stay still, like he'll scare Kyle away if he makes any sudden movements. Wendy's gone too, so it's just him and Kyle backstage. He feels the other earring clamp onto his ear and then Kyle goes to stand in front of him. Stan is wearing a robe similar to Kyle's, but colored with browns and dark reds. Kyle fiddles with its latch and fixes the headband on Stan's head so it sits straight. His headband is adorned with feathers and leaves, like if autumn manifested into an accessory on his head. After he's done, Kyle steps back to observe his work. He grins.

"There he is, the Spirit of Harvest."

Stan gives a soft smile in return.

"And his counterpart, the Spirit of the Cold."

Kyle sighs like he's tired, but his grin doesn't leave his face.

"I can't believe we're doing this."

Stan shrugs.

"Hey, it might be fun. You don't look half bad either."

Kyle looks down.

"Yeah, you too."

Stan thinks he sees Kyle blushing, but before he can say anything, Wendy walks in with the rest of the cast behind her.

"Okay everyone, it's showtime in one minute. I know we've had some issues, but we push through and shove our management skills in the council's face."

Wendy is the only one who looks determined, while everyone else just stares at each other.

"Oh shit, no way Stan and Kyle are the goddamn Spirits," someone from the cast says, looking at the two.

Stan gives a look of disbelief.

"Kevin Stoley? And who are you supposed to be?"

"I'm the Traveler of Seasons, duh. Are you sure you guys are cut out for your roles?"

"No!" Kyle says, distressed. "I don't even know what the lines are!"

"Oh relax, Kyle. Nichole is sitting on stand-by with the script, she'll whisper your line to you if you get off track," Wendy reasons, although she looks just as worried as him.

She moves towards the front of the stage and peeks through the curtains. The sun is setting, and many South Park residents are seated on the grass waiting for the show to start. She turns back around towards everyone, and Stan gives her a thumbs up. And although Kyle is heavily opposed to participating, he gives her his best supportive smile. Craig, who is in charge of stage lights, dims the setting and Wendy takes a deep breath. The people outside quiet down as she steps out.

"Hey South Park, and happy All Hallow's Eve! Or, the day before it at least."

From backstage, Stan and Kyle watch Wendy do her introduction. The Hallow's Eve play has been a Halloween tradition for as long as anyone can remember, and no one knows who created the story, because it sure as hell is not true. Even so, the play is the same every year, to the point where it has been ingrained into everyone's minds. Kyle hopes it's enough to get him through the performance.

They hear Wendy wrap up her part, and the play begins.

Multiple actors dressed as old-time farmers and townsfolk take the stage, holding pumpkins and various crops. Bradley and Red step onto center stage, playing the part of King and Queen.

"My dear citizens," the Queen announces, "we are grateful for yet another wonderful pick this year."

"May the blessed Spirit of Harvest shower his everlasting grace upon our town," the King takes over. "Let us rejoice by partaking in a fine Hallow's Eve feast!"

The townspeople rejoice, and one of the younger actors playing as a child steps up.

"Oh Spirit of Harvest, may you please celebrate with us as we show our thanks for your prosperity!"

From behind the curtain, Stan takes in a deep breath as Kyle shoves him.

"You're up, dude. Good luck."

Stan nods and steps onto the scene, the spotlight gravitating towards him. With a dramatic flick of his robe, he prays that he remembers how his role is supposed to go.

"It is I, the Spirit of Harvest. It is my duty and honor to serve the mortals throughout their short, yet fruitful, existence."

There's a pause, and Stan glances from the audience to the people on stage. Red makes a subtle and urgent motion, signifying that he continues.

"Oh, uh," Stan mumbles. "Uh, line?" he whispers to Nichole who's standing at the foot of the stage.

"My loyal followers..."

"My loyal followers! I grace you with my presence. Let us be jovial on this day, and may your crops be healthy and your families fed!"

The rest of the actors cheer, which Stan takes as a sign that he's doing okay. He glances towards the side curtain and sees Kyle giving him a thumbs up. Stan smiles back and the cast on stage changes positions.

The South Park High School band, which is off to the side, starts playing music as the townsfolk dance and act like they're feasting. Stan notices Karen, Kenny's younger sister, is part of the group and chuckles at the sight of her sitting on the stage floor and eating actual popcorn. Suddenly, one of the theater kids dressed as a farmer comes on stage looking pensive.

"This is all for naught," he says deeply. The music tones down and all the townsfolk look in his direction.

"Farmer David, whatever are you saying," the Queen questions.

"We may celebrate now," he says looking towards the audience, "but winter shall be fast approaching. The time of sorrow and solace pities no one. Not us, and especially not our crops."

The townsfolk murmur amongst themselves. Some agree and some become fearful.

"The Spirit of the Cold!" Farmer David continues, "beware of him, for he holds the fate of our futures in his lifeless hands. He is responsible for years of starvation, and years of snow. Pray for sun! For he shall haunt your nightmares on the coldest of nights."

Stan's not gonna lie, he forgets if he's supposed to have a line here. However, any sort of words die in his throat when Kyle enters from the other end of the stage, looking fittingly sinister.

The townsfolk go into hysterics, children running offstage and farmers grabbing prop pitchforks and shovels.

"The Spirit of the Cold!"

"Hide your children!"

"Run away!"

The Spirit of the Cold ignores everyone and looks to the King and Queen.

"Your majesties, I expected better from your citizens. It is rude to speak ill of one behind one's back."

The King takes a step towards him. Bradley falls into his role very naturally.

"Spirit of the Cold, you are not welcome here. I demand you cease causing havoc among my people and return to the desolate lands whence you came."

The Spirit of the Cold squints, and Stan really feels like he should have a line here. Even if he doesn't, it just feels wrong that the Spirit of Harvest wouldn't say anything. Stan doesn't remember him being so passive. The townsfolk are quick to back up their King.

"You heard him, Spirit!"

"Leave our town at once!"

"You're a monster!"

"Spread your cold elsewhere!"

That's when the kid, the same one from the beginning who summoned the Spirit of Harvest, turns to Stan.

"Oh Spirit of Harvest, shield us from his cruel fate! Remove the Spirit of the Cold forever!"

The townsfolk concur, urging the Spirit of Harvest to abolish his counterpart, and Stan definitely, definitely feels like he should say something, but the play continues on.

"Quiet!" the Spirit of the Cold bellows. Everyone on stage snaps to his attention, startling Stan even though he remembers this part of the story.

The Spirit of the Cold is silent for a moment, before he speaks in a low tone.

"If you so wish to rid of me forever, then I accept your request. The cold, nor I, will bother you townsfolk any longer. But heed my warning, for you all will experience much worse than the winter."

Now Stan knows he has a line here, and it comes almost naturally.

"Spirit of the Cold," he starts, the one addressed meeting his gaze, "the consequences of your actions will be catastrophic. I see past your exterior, you would not dare harm the mortals we care for so dearly."

Stan swears he sees Kyle's eyes darken when he responds.

"Then perhaps you do not see past my exterior at all."

With that, a fog machine set to the side blankets the floor with its white haze, and Kyle retreats backstage. The townsfolk rejoice, but Stan continues to look uncertain, and feels a little sad. He takes a glance at Wendy out in the audience, and upon seeing her approving smile he figures that he's doing a good job. He just didn't know acting could feel so real.

Stan and Kyle aren't in the next part of the story, so they watch from backstage as another kid playing as the Elder of the Town and Kevin playing as the Traveler of Seasons take the spotlight. As they perform, Stan looks to Kyle beside him, and it feels so surreal. Stan knows the anger of the Spirit of the Cold is only an act, but Kyle is just so good at acting. Behind the curtains, Kyle has an excited look in his eye, and Stan can tell he's enjoying this more than he lets on. Either way, he really wants to look at the script when the play is over, because frankly, it's bullshit that the Spirit of Harvest would just leave his friend to fend for himself. Stan forgets about it before he gets unnecessarily worked up.

The Elder of the Town shares his wisdom about how important winter is, and how it's essential for how nature runs. He sends the Traveler of Seasons off on a quest to find the Spirit of the Cold and have him return, all before the next supposed-winter approaches. However in order to find him, the traveler must seek help from the Spirit of Harvest first.

Kevin delivers his lines confidently and artistically, acting out his journey like it's reality. Soon, it's Stan's turn to get on stage again.

"Oh Spirit of Harvest, it is I, the Traveler of Seasons. I call out to thee!" Kevin yells to the side of the stage, where Stan dramatically makes his entrance.

"Determined traveler, what is it you seek?"

"I am on a quest to retrieve the Spirit of the Cold, and I humbly ask for your assistance."

Upon hearing his name, the Spirit of Harvest wears a solemn expression.

"I am afraid, traveler, that I am of no help to you. I am unbeknownst to his whereabouts, my mind has become blind since his departure."

There's a moment of silence before the Traveler of Seasons gets on one knee.

"I beg of you, Spirit of Harvest, to help in any way you can. My town is relying on me to save us from our wrongdoings."

Looking at the traveler's kneeling form, the Spirit of Harvest lets out a sigh.

"Very well. There is a place that is most likely his retreat. The highest peak of the coldest mountain, he may be at the top. If you are unafraid to venture to such lengths, I shall accompany you on your journey."

Kevin and Stan are on stage for a good chunk of the play. In the story, the Traveler of Seasons and the Spirit of Harvest meet various characters. Three witches, floating jack-o-lanterns, and Stan's personal favorite, a werewolf who the Traveler of Seasons has an epic battle with.

They're soon at the part of the story where they're taking a rest on the mountain, a fake fireplace between them as they sit on the stage floor. It looks real against the night sky, the sun setting completely not too long ago.

"Spirit of Harvest," the Traveler of Seasons begins in a calm voice, "why does the Spirit of the Cold harm us so? He brings loneliness to people and destroys our crops. He is very unlike you."

Stan doesn't answer for a moment for dramatic effect, then responds in a similar hushed tone.

"I believe you mortals see him in a light very unlike mine."

The traveler stays silent as the Spirit of Harvest continues.

"The Spirit of the Cold brings peace. He quiets the world after three seasons of constant activity. He offers a time of rest while his cold prepares the soil for your crops. Without him, I wouldn't be able to grant you mortals with a successful harvest."

The Traveler of Seasons looks to the floor.

"I... see. It never dawned on me how important he might be."

"Indeed. I'd like to find him quite soon."

Stan bites his tongue. He doesn't think that's how that line was supposed to go, and feels his face warm. Kevin gives him an impressed look anyway, like Stan was being intentional.

The story reaches its climax as the Spirit of Harvest and the Traveler of Seasons scales the mountain. The fog machine starts up again and cotton balls and styrofoam rain onto the stage from somewhere above, simulating snow. Stan thinks it's a little bit of a waste, but it's funny seeing Tweek and Jimmy sweep up what they can before the stage floor becomes filled with the white stuff. A giant fan from off stage turns on, making Stan's robe flail gracefully behind him.

"Spirit of the Cold!" the Traveler of Seasons bellows. "I summon thee!"

There's no response, and instead one of the theater kids shakes a sheet of metal, making it sound like the wind is howling. Another kid tosses a bucket of styrofoam in front of the fan, making it blow against Kevin and Stan's faces.

"Jesus christ," Stan mumbles, trying to avoid getting poked in the eye.

"Spirit of the Cold! I call for you once more!"

There's still no response, and Stan can't focus with the loud noise and all the shit flying everywhere. Kevin turns his head to him with piercing eyes, and Stan tries to reel his mind back to what they were doing. Right, he has a line.

"Spirit of the Cold," he tries, "It is I, the Spirit of Harvest. I ask you to reveal yourself."

Slowly, the fan dies down and Stan can finally relax now that he doesn't have to avoid anything hitting his face. He and Kevin take a few steps back as Kyle approaches them from the side of the stage.

He stands there, not saying anything, but he gives off energy that makes Stan want to get on his knees and apologize profusely, although he's done nothing wrong.

"Spirit of Harvest," the Spirit of the Cold starts, "who have you brought to me?"

The traveler answers before the Spirit of Harvest can speak up.

"I am the Traveler of Seasons, oh great Spirit. I have come to you on behalf of my town."

The Spirit of the Cold becomes more reserved at the mention of the town, and speaks in a low voice.

"Traveler of Seasons, you have come a long way from the town whence you came. What is it that you seek?"

"I have-"

Before the Traveler of Seasons can say anything, the sound of an arrow being shot is heard, and the Spirit of the Cold becomes rigid, like the most frozen of ice.

Stan looks to Kyle's arm, where he sees an arrow wedged between his arm and torso. Did he practice that while he was backstage?

The voices of the townspeople can be heard before they're surrounding the Spirit of the Cold. The Traveler of Seasons looks shocked as the townspeople celebrate.

"The Spirit of the Cold has been shot!"

"He will harm us no more!"

"May winter be gone forever!"

The Traveler of Seasons gets back to his senses and grows furious.

"You followed me!"

However, he can't stay mad for long as the Spirit of the Cold rips the arrow out of his body and throws it. People dodge the projectile, and it ends up bouncing off of Stan.

Stan blinks and looks at the arrow. The stage goes quiet and he hears Nichole clear her throat expectantly. He glances between the arrow and the rest of the actors before he gets the point.

"Oh- yeah, right, sorry."

He lodges the arrow between his arm and torso, similar to how Kyle appeared, and grunts as if he was injured, dropping to one knee.

The townsfolk gasp in horror, and the Spirit of the Cold goes still, his eyes wide. After a moment, the townsfolk go into a frenzy.

"The Spirit of Harvest, he's been injured!"

"The Spirit of the Cold is at fault!"

"Kill him!"

The giant fan starts back up again, along with the metal-produced noise and styrofoam, and the townsfolk chase the Spirit of the Cold as he attempts to run away. During their running around, the Spirit of Harvest gets up and soon it's just the two of them.

The wind howls and a blizzard forms around the Spirits. Their robes billow against the frosty air. The Spirit of the Cold has nowhere to run. They face each other and stand tall, both unmoving.

"Spirit of the Cold," the Spirit of Harvest yells, his voice almost drowns out in the wind. "Cease at once! Your blizzard is piercing and your snow is turning to hail. Do not aggravate against the mortals!"

A flurry of snow encircles the Spirit of Harvest, causing him to shiver. The Spirit of the Cold bellows back.

"The mortals have given me no choice! I tend to them every winter, yet they see me as their enemy. I remove myself from their presence, upon their request, mind you, yet they are not through with me. If they cannot simply accept a year lacking of winter, then perhaps they desire an everlasting one!"

"No!" the Spirit of Harvest responds with urgency, "you know better than anyone the importance of balance. An everlasting winter is not at all what you desire!"

"You know nothing of what I desire!"

"Then tell me!"

The setting gets colder as the Spirit of the Cold becomes angrier, however the Spirit of Harvest stays determined.

"Your role for mankind is precious," the Spirit of the Cold begins. "You represent a time of celebration, of togetherness and success. People rejoice in your presence. You are showered with love and respect."

The Spirit of Harvest listens intently. Although the wind is howling, the words of the Spirit of the Cold are perfectly clear.

"Throughout history, my cold has only brought times of death and despair. All I desired, was to become capable of what you do."

The blizzard dies down a little, and the snow clears to a point where the Spirits can see each other better.

"Spirit of the Cold, I would not be capable of half the things I do if not for you," the Spirit of Harvest says. "Just as you silence the world after my time of celebration, you allow people to rest to prepare themselves for the spring. The townsfolk may not understand all you do for them, however I understand all you do for me."

The blizzard has completely gone away, and snow gently falls to the ground.

"All I desire is to be by your side. So please, come home."

The atmosphere is tranquil yet intense. Kyle is looking at Stan in a way he can't interpret, but whatever it means, Stan thinks it won't go away even after the play is done. He feels his heart pump in his chest and he never realized how bright Kyle's eyes are. It's impaling, and Stan has the sudden urge to bring himself closer. He sees Kyle visibly swallow like he's nervous about something, and that's when Stan is brought back into reality where the play still continues.

The Traveler of Seasons with the townsfolk on his heels catches up to the Spirits. He says what needs to be said to the Spirit of the Cold with utmost confidence, which is a deep apology and conciliation. He and the townsfolk understand the importance of his role, and ask him to return.

The story skips to a month later. It is set in the town, and snow gently falls to the ground. The Spirit of the Cold stands overlooking the mortals, and watches over them as they bundle up in their homes and play in the snow, the Spirit of Harvest right beside him.

The stage lights dim to black, and the audience stands and claps. Among the hollers and whistles, Wendy lets out a sigh of relief.

Back on stage, so does Kyle.

"Holy shit, dude. I can't believe we did it," he whispers.

"Yeah dude, we're not half bad."

In the dark, all the actors come on stage lined up. When the lights turn back on, they bow, starting another wave of applause and praise.

After the audience disperses and the clean up crew handles the stage, Stan and Kyle head to the next attraction ("Quickly, before I hear Cartman talk shit about me."), but stop when they see Wendy talking animatedly to two theater kids.

"Where were you guys?" Wendy says with an edge in her voice, "do you know the amount of stress you two put me in?"

"Sorry, sorry," one of the kids says, the other looking down in apology. "We were sick as hell, must've been something we ate."

Wendy sighs, her anger quickly disappearing.

"Well, you could've told me at least."

Her head turns and upon seeing Stan and Kyle totally not eavesdropping, waves them over.

"These guys took over your role," she says, putting her hands on their backs once they come over. "They were pretty good too."

"Seriously? Marsh and Broflovski?"

"Honestly, it fits them," one of the kids says to the other, causing both of them to snicker. Stan doesn't know if he likes what they're implying, and turns to Kyle to see him in deep contemplation.

"What did you guys eat today?" Kyle suddenly asks them, making the kids look at him in surprise. Stan definitely knows that he doesn't like what he's implying.

"Uhhh, mostly just stuff from the fair."

"Yeah, I think we tried, like, everything."

"Even whatever Cartman was selling!"

"Oh yeah! I can't believe all that crap was made by him."

"Even though he just mans the transactions, he doesn't actually do any baking. The sign he has is misleading."

"I knew it!" Kyle exclaims before the kids' banter continues. "That fatass is fucking up the-"

"Okaaay," Stan butts in, taking Kyle's shoulders and leading him in the direction away from Cartman's tent. "We'll just be going, see you around Wendy. And I hope you two are feeling better."

The three just look at Stan and Kyle's retreating forms in confused silence.

The two of them walk around, taking in the atmosphere of the fair now that it's night. Some people are just starting to show up, and the lights and music coming from the field add to the festivity.

Stan reruns the play in his mind. It was never really a Halloween story, it's more like a weird south-hick autumn fairy tale. Stan messed up his performance a few times, but he thinks it was an overall success. At least he had fun, he knows Kyle definitely did, although he'd never admit it. He was really good too, Stan remembers getting chills from the way Kyle was acting. It's something he wasn't expecting at all.

Stan then remembers the part near the end, when it was just the two of them. The moment they had has passed, but the feeling of it is still fresh in his mind. The way Kyle was looking at him— he doesn't know what to make of it, but for some reason it feels like it's gotten warmer and he thinks his heartbeat just got faster. It feels like he's on the verge of solving something, and that Kyle's waiting for him. Like he's stuck in a maze, and Kyle's already made it to the end, wanting him to catch up, too.

Stan thinks he's almost there. He remembers Kyle's eyes, and he thinks he wants to look at them forever.

They've somehow wandered towards the gym when Stan comes back to his senses. The girls were responsible for turning it into a haunted house, with actors and everything, and it looks decently spooky. There's no line to enter surprisingly, so Stan's about to ask Kyle if he wants to go in when Bebe and Annie walk out, deep in conversation.

"I don't understand, Annie," Bebe says with disappointment. "She treats him so nice, and for what? He's so dense."

"Aren't you being a little too hard on Stan?" Annie says in her polite tone.

Stan and Kyle stop and turn their attention to the girls, who are too preoccupied to notice.

"I am not! He needs to be more decisive. Do you know how rare it is for Wendy to give anyone a second chance? If Stan can't appreciate her, then she shouldn't even be wasting her breath on him."

"I think you're going a little overboard, Bebe. I mean, either way, they seem okay now. From what I can tell, Wendy seems just fine."

Bebe sighs.

"Yeah, I guess..."

The girls' voices fade out as they walk away. After a moment of silence, Kyle moves in front of Stan with a confused look on his face.

"Dude, what were they talking about?"

Stan hesitates, and looks at everything but Kyle. The longer he doesn't say anything, the more Kyle gets irritated.

"Stan! What were they talking about! Wendy gave you a second chance? Is that why you guys are suddenly talking again?"

"Well, I mean," Stan tries. He doesn't know why he's having such a hard time telling Kyle. He feels like he doesn't have the guts, but he pushes through anyway.

"Wendy, she... she asked me out, a few days ago," he says, looking at the ground. "She said she tried to throw herself into a bunch of schoolwork to maybe forget about me. But, she didn't want that. So after thinking about it, she wanted to give it another try."

Stan smiles a little warily.

"She said she cried on my birthday because she couldn't even greet me. I never thought she would care about something like that."

When Kyle doesn't say anything, Stan finally looks up at him. His breath hitches when he sees Kyle's expression. He's taken aback, his previous anger completely gone. His eyes glimmer from the lights luminating around them, and Stan can't look away.

They stare at each other for a bit before Kyle speaks, a slight shake in his voice.

"...What did you tell her?"

Stan blinks at the question and his hands are suddenly sweaty.

"Uh, I. I turned her down."

Kyle's eyebrows raise in surprise.

"What? But why?"

Stan struggles to find the words.

"I mean, I told her that I wasn't interested. Because... well I'm not."

Kyle still isn't satisfied, and his voice raises with every sentence, anger slowly coming back. Stan just gets more nervous and unsure.

"What do you mean you're not interested? Weren't you just missing her? What, you just don't anymore?"

"I mean, I did, but I think that was a platonic feeling?"

"You were all like, 'oh man, it's so weird not being able to talk to her anymore, we've known each other for so long-'"

"Yeah, but I think it's all in a different context now. Besides, there's-"

"What, Stan? What is there?"

Stan clams up. He doesn't know what they're actually arguing about, but he feels his face warm when he realizes that he doesn't exactly know what to say next. He swallows.

"I mean. There's, we... or- you, and-"

Stan isn't able to finish his thought when he sees Kyle suddenly tense at his words. Stan openly stares at him in worry, and Kyle stares back.

"Oh my fucking god," Kyle finally says, his voice suddenly quiet. He buries his face in his hands. "Fuck, Stan... goddammit..."

Stan doesn't know what to do. He's worried, and it's probably his fault, although he doesn't know what he did wrong. He slowly reaches for Kyle.

"Dude-"

But Kyle suddenly turns around and heads straight for the haunted house.

"Hey- Kyle! Where're you going?"

"I have to fucking think!"

"...In the haunted house?"

"At least you won't follow me inside."

"Wha- hey! I'm not scared of a dumb haunted-"

Stan's voice reaches no one, though, as Kyle has already retreated inside. Stan stands there, feeling lost and guilty for something he doesn't understand. He knows he has to go after Kyle though, so he takes a deep breath and follows after him.

The gym is dark, and long, black curtains hang from the ceiling to the floor to serve as walls. It's a maze, Stan realizes. He sighs. Finding Kyle is going to be tricky.

There are prop skeletons and fog machines everywhere, obscuring his vision as he makes his way through the maze. Stan is surprised he hasn't been jumpscared yet. Actually, he's surprised that he hasn't run into anyone at all. He can't think about it for long though, as he's pretty sure he just saw Kyle's hat in the corner of his eye. Stan pushes curtains aside, not caring about all the props that he's knocking over. His only priority is getting to Kyle.

He quickly finds him at a dead end.

"Dude, Kyle!"

Kyle turns around and Stan catches his eyes again. He's been so drawn to them today. All the anger in Kyle's expression has been replaced with something akin to exhaustion, and Stan wants to gather him in his arms and never let go. He manages to resist, and keeps his distance instead.

Kyle sighs.

"Stan, what are you doing here?"

"Looking for you! I don't want you avoiding me, Kyle. Just tell me what I did wrong."

Kyle's gaze shifts to the floor, and Stan takes the opportunity to move closer. Once he's close enough, Kyle leans forward until his body is resting against Stan's. Stan wraps his arms around Kyle's frame.

"Stan," Kyle starts, his voice quiet. Stan's only able to hear him due to how close they are. "Why don't you want to be with Wendy?"

Stan's heartbeat quickens, and he's pretty sure Kyle is able to feel it, but his head is clear and his reply is certain.

"Because I have you."

After he says it, Kyle hides his face in Stan's shoulder and wraps his arms around his torso.

"Do you even know what you're saying?" Kyle asks, voice muffled. Stan tightens his hold.

"I'm pretty sure I do," he says.

There's silence, but Stan can hear Kyle's brain process this new information. Gears are turning, and Kyle squeezes Stan back.

"You fucking better," he finally says, causing Stan to smile.

Stan moves his hand to Kyle's neck, causing the latter to pull back until they're looking at each other again. Kyle's eyes are much brighter up close, and Stan gets so lost in them that he doesn't remember when they started kissing.

Either way, it feels like making it to the finish line.

Soon enough, the two find their way through the maze by Stan's "push through all the curtains" technique instead of Kyle's "stick to the left wall" technique. Once they make it outside the gym, they're greeted by Kenny.

"Were you guys in there? You know all of the actors had to leave early, right?"

Stan looks at him in confusion, but Kyle squints his eyes in suspicion.

"And why would that be?" he asks slowly. Kenny just shrugs.

"Something they ate, I think. They were throwing up like crazy, it was so gross. Definitely the funniest thing I've seen today. Stan messing up his Spirit of Harvest lines comes close second, though. Hey, why are you guys holding hands?"

Stan blushes and looks down, he didn't realize his fingers were interlocked with Kyle's. Kyle didn't even hear Kenny's comment about it, because he's too busy being angry at the first thing he said.

"GOD FUCKING DAMN IT!" Kyle yells, storming off in the direction of Cartman's tent, dragging Stan along with him. Kenny tries to contain his laughter as he follows.

Cartman is counting his profits when the three of them approach.

"FATASS!" Kyle exclaims, "WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU PUTTING IN YOUR SHIT?"

"Well hello to you too, Kyle," Cartman responds calmly, "I didn't know you were so good at acting."

"Cut the crap! Answer my goddamn question!"

"I don't know what you want me to say, Kyle. All I put in my baked goods is the love for my customers and South Park's finest pumpkins."

Stan's about to put his hands on Kyle's shoulders when he sees him begin to yell again, when Heidi walks by with a clipboard in her hand. She doesn't look up when she passes them.

"Cartman, I told you to close down your sale. Those pumpkins have gone bad, remember?"

Heidi walks away. There's a long moment of silence, before Kyle is attempting to strangle Cartman's neck with Stan trying his best to hold him back. Cartman starts laughing uncontrollably, causing Kenny to join him.

"I'M GONNA FUCKING KILL YOU!"

Stan just sighs as he tries to lead Kyle away. Kenny tries to help, but he's not much use with how much he's laughing.

Once they're far away enough, Kyle starts going on an angry spiel.

"Cartman's not gonna see the light of tomorrow when I'm through with him! He's such a fucking psychopath, why hasn't he been thrown in prison yet? The world would be so much better without his waste of an exist-"

Kyle gets cut off when Stan presses his lips to his. Kyle's words disappear when he pulls back. Stan sighs and smiles tiredly.

"You know, you talk about Cartman way too much. I don't wanna be jealous of fucking Cartman, dude."

A blush creeps onto Kyle's face and he laughs. He grabs Stan's hand and leads him to the exit of the fair, a smile ever present.

"Let's get out of here, I think we've seen everything anyway."

Stan squeezes Kyle's hand and gladly follows. He understands what Kyle feels, about the world being duller whenever they aren't together. When he's by Kyle's side, everything becomes much brighter.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Thank you for reading :)
I'm working on an angst fic for y'all angst likers, my stories have been very soft so it's time to switch it up a lil

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

133K 3.6K 74
Stray Kids is on tour! Ella wins a prize at the concert that ends up turning her entire life upside down. She uncovers the dark secrets to K-Pop and...
117K 5.8K 55
(y/n) (l/n) a girl who was born in the modern world who somewhat ends up in the taisho era of demon slayer. Her sassiness and eccentric attitude capt...
2.2M 116K 64
↳ ❝ [ INSANITY ] ❞ ━ yandere alastor x fem! reader ┕ 𝐈𝐧 𝐰𝐡𝐢𝐜𝐡, (y/n) dies and for some strange reason, reincarnates as a ...
250K 8.1K 56
When he denied his own baby calling her a cheater. "This baby is not mine." But why god planned them to meet again? "I would like you to transfer in...