Ice-Bound Promise [Wattys 202...

By JanGoesWriting

[Book Five of the "Patrons' World" series.] In the snow blasted wastes, far to the west, Únik, a woman with a... More

1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
40
41
42
43
44

11

132 13 0
By JanGoesWriting

11

They reached the river as mid-day passed, its wide, lazy curves cutting a great gash into the landscape. Flowing from the Ghoshun mountains to the north-west, making a languid procession south-east towards the foot of the Akaean Sea, hundreds of miles distant. Únik couldn't imagine how large the river would become as it flowed into the sea. Even here, she could hardly believe the size of it, even though she had crossed it before, years ago.

Wildlife and plant life began to appear more plentiful the further east they travelled, with Barsa's ears pricking at every movement of a rabbit, or the playful bouncing of deer through grass that had started growing tall and green. Even with his injuries, the hound still thought he could run and chase the animals as though he had not fought a creature of nightmares not so long ago.

Every so often, the Fae looked back the way they had travelled, a look of concern crossing her features and she began to grow silent, even as her movements became more measured. Whatever the Fae could sense, it caused Únik to swivel her head more than a few times to attempt to see what the Fae saw.

Hatyara had stopped her incessant whining, as she too sensed a creeping tension between them all. Along the way, she had found a sturdy branch that she used to walk with and, Únik imagined, as a weapon if she needed it. Almost reaching the Ice-Kin's shoulders, the branch only reached half-way up Únik's body. A short weapon, for certain, but any was better than none.

"Not far now." Shihiri pointed her staff towards a small inlet in the near distance, where reeds of some kind clumped and clustered against the slow flowing river. "Have a care. I fear we are not the only ones around."

Even as the words passed her lips, Barsa turned and began growling, his head down, tail straight and fluffed. Únik had learnt never to dismiss Barsa's senses and she turned, herself, gazing off into the distance. Squinting, she could not see what Barsa saw, or heard. Nothing but the undulating landscape, littered with clutches of trees, boulders and small hills.

"I think we should move faster." Patting Barsa's behind, avoiding his injuries, Únik then patted her leg before turning to follow Shihiri.

"It's them, isn't it?" Moving closer to Únik and Barsa, Hatyara gripped her little staff, looking beyond Únik's body as though she could hide from the coming threat.

"Can't tell." Sniffing the air, cocking her head, Shihiri tested the wind blowing their way. "Whatever, whoever it is, we can't chance it. A little further. That's all we need."

They quickened their pace and Únik wished they had not spent so long resting along the way. Shihiri had said their pursuers were only three hours behind and that was well over a day ago. She wondered if they, too, had suffered attacks by the wondering beasts of the tundra. A tundra that now fell behind them, giving better footing for horses' hooves.

Sure enough, as they raced towards the inlet, the sound of galloping hooves reached their ears, carried by the wind. In the distance, still, but that meant nought when the ground remained as flat and hard as the kind they ran across now.

Once again, Únik felt fear clutch at her chest. From the moment she had found Hatyara, Únik had become lost in one event after another, with bare enough time to rest until the next lake broke up beneath them, or a pyramid crashed about them, or a great and terrible creature attacked them. She doubted, at this moment, that she would ever find peace again. Not with this Ice-Kin in tow.

The inlet still seemed so far away, no matter how hard they ran. No matter how long her strides were, the fear pushing her forward. She felt slow. Like a huge oaf that had no place being in this situation. Hatyara stumbled. Of course she did! Her new, tiny staff flying from her hand. The little Ice-Kin rolled for several feet before she managed to arrest her forward movement.

Before Únik could reach down to pick the Ūtharan up, Shihiri had appeared at her side, thrusting the little branch back into Hatyara's hands and dragging her to her feet, pushing her forwards. Únik took the opportunity to look behind and wished that she hadn't. Their pursuers had gained upon them. Gained a great deal. And now Únik could see figures upon the horses thundering towards them.

An arrow flew from their pursuers, mid-gallop, and landed some hundred yards away. Únik didn't think that was a mistake. No doubt their pursuers tested the distance between them. That and to instil a fear among Únik and her companions. A message stating their intent.

The sacks of supplies over Únik's shoulder banged and battered against her back and she realised, too late, that they slowed her down far too much. She allowed one to fall behind, clipping her heels as it fell. The food inside far less important than getting away. Seconds later, she allowed the second one to fall, losing her fire making equipment.

Both Hatyara and Shihiri had opened up a gap between them and Únik. Their little legs flashing beneath them, their tiny bodies not holding them back as Únik's bulk did to her. She almost considered ripping away the rolls of furs, tied and hung over her shoulders, and to allow her whale hook to drop, leaving her with nothing, but she doubted they would make any difference.

"Come on, human!" Glancing over her shoulder, Shihiri saw Únik struggling to keep up, Barsa remaining by her side even though he could outpace her with ease.

But Únik could not quicken her pace. Her chest burned as she pushed herself onwards. Sweat slicked her back beneath her furs and woollen clothing. She could feel the muscles in her legs begin to tighten and she doubted she would make it to the inlet. She stopped, turning back, and gripped her whale hook, anticipating the end.

More arrows tested the distance between them as Únik spread her feet, preparing to attempt to slow their pursuers down. If only long enough for Hatyara and Shihiri to make it to the inlet. Her mind became cold as she felt the fear slough away. Now she had made a decision, everything seemed clear. She could see their pursuers, their numbers grown from when last she saw them at the lake.

Then Shihiri appeared at her side, bow unhooked from across her chest. Without a pause, the Fae nocked an arrow, drew and loosed, sending the arrow sailing through the air, arcing, reaching the apex of its flight and then falling. The arrow buried itself into the shoulder of the rider in front, penetrating their armour, causing him to fall from his horse, bringing the horse down as he fell beneath its legs.

That disrupted the others, sending them twisting and jerking in several directions to avoid the tumbling of the rider and the screaming horse as it attempted to thrash back to its feet. Shihiri grabbed Únik's shoulder, spinning her around to face the other way.

"That was bloody stupid!" With a whack from the bow across Únik's backside, Shihiri pushed Únik on towards the inlet.

She hadn't realised how close she had come to their destination. Sweat dripping into her eyes, exhaustion blurring her vision. Whatever it was, she had not seen the inlet less than twenty feet away and, with Shihiri pushing them on, they reached it.

Únik saw Hatyara already sat in a row boat, hidden within the clutch of reeds decorating the bank. The Ice-Kin stood, attempting to help Únik into the boat, but Únik refused her hand. Instead, she turned, patting her thighs to encourage Barsa to get in too. Her hound seemed undecided, looking at her, then back at the chasing enemy. With a bark, he bounded into the boat, turning his frame to stare towards the bank.

Shihiri gripped the prow of the boat and began to push, her bow, quiver and staff had already become thrown onto the floor. Straining, her silver birch skin becoming taut against her cheekbones, Shihiri pushed hard against the boat. Únik moved to the prow, thrusting her whale hook into the water, catching ground and pushing with all her might. After tortuous seconds, the boat began to move, catching the flow of the river, and Shihiri clambered aboard.

Without a pause, Shihiri spun in a crouch, grabbing her bow and an arrow from the quiver. Nocking, she lifted the bow, aiming for the nearest pursuer before beginning to draw back the bow string.

"That one! Forget the rest! Kill that one!" Causing the boat to rock, ruining Shihiri's aim, Hatyara moved to Shihiri's side. The Ice-Kin pointed to one Ice-Kin upon a horse, dressed in exquisite looking armour. "Kill her and we have a chance!"

Shihiri glanced towards Hatyara and even Únik could see the look of pure hatred on the Ice-Kin's face. As arrows from their pursuers began falling into the water around them, Shihiri took aim once again, drawing back her bow and letting the arrow loose.

With a shorter distance, the arc not so high, the arrow flew with unerring speed towards the Ice-Kin Hatyara had pointed towards. The arrow flew, straight and accurate, but the Ice-Kin twisted at the last moment, allowing the arrow to pass and bury itself into the enslaved Kannai behind them.

"Balls." Shihiri almost laughed.

-+-

With the bank of the river falling away into the distance, all Únik wanted to do was collapse, but the size of the boat spoiled that. With Shihiri, Hatyara, herself and Barsa all vying for space, she found it difficult to even sit without elbows or knees pressing against her. Shihiri delved her hands to each side of Únik, finding oars and attaching them to the crutches on each gunwale. She pressed the oar handles into Únik's hands.

"Row." Turning back around, Shihiri watched the pursuers as they traced the passage of the boat. Watching as Únik pulled at the oars, powering the boat away. "That should hold them for a while. The nearest ferries are a day in each direction. At least."

"How could you miss her?" Once again causing the boat to rock, Hatyara yanked at Shihiri's shoulder. "Without her, they're nothing! You incompetent fool!"

"Sit down or I throw you overboard. Princeling." With only a whisper, Shihiri made the Ice-Kin quail. "That was skill. I've seen people avoid arrows before, but not on horseback. It was impressive."

"You admire her?" Incredulous, Hatyara threw her arms into the air. "Ylthara has no admirable qualities! She's vicious and cruel and she will not stop until we are all dead!"

"Well, they'll have a hard time catching us without that Kannai." Shihiri sniffed, rubbing her nose as she began to relax in the prow of the boat. "Pity, though. I doubt the Kannai had any choice in being part of the hunt."

Únik said nothing, pulling at the oars in a regular rhythm. She felt so tired, but she wouldn't stop rowing until they reached the other side. Any distance they could build between themselves and their pursuers would never be enough for her. She watched as Shihiri and Hatyara began to ignore each other.

Try as she might, she simply could not warm to the Ice-Kin. At one moment, the girl would hold up her nose and act like a spoiled, noble brat. Then, at other times, would show a deep compassion at odds with her normal self. Or, at least, the side of herself she showed most often. Shihiri, on the other hand, Únik had liked from almost the very first second. Warm, open, if a little quiet sometimes, Shihiri seemed the very opposite of the haughty Ice-Kin.

Barsa hung his paws over the gunwale as Únik rowed, tongue lolling from his mouth as he watched the waters of the river pass them by. He seemed to have regained his strength, after the dire wolf attack, and the wolf claw scratches did not seem to bother him, Shihiri's paste working wonders. If Únik didn't know any better, she could almost believe the hound felt pride in wearing those ugly scratches. He looked towards her, as though hearing her thoughts, smacking his lips and making a small howl before turning back to stare at the water.

They reached the bank of the other side of the river after much rowing. Half-way across, Shihiri had swapped places with Únik, taking her turn at the oars and allowing Únik to rest her weary muscles. Hatyara, of course, never even offered to take a turn at the oars, sitting upon the bench, hands upon her lap as though on a carriage ride through her city, without a care in the world.

"Which way now?" Helping Shihiri draw the boat up onto the bank, finding a thick clump of brush to hide it within, Únik glanced up and down the shore.

Other than to run for her life, into the wastes beyond the Tombs of Hagragng, Únik had never travelled far within her home country of Uriok. She had visited a village in the next county over. Once. The rest of her life, prior to her escape, she had spent within the confines of her own village. Birthed, brought up, married, all within the same small area. For most of that life, she had felt happy. For most of it. Surprising how such a short time and foul events could sour her feelings for the entire region.

"Icktharid is about twenty miles north and east of here and it'll be dark again long before we reach it." Jerking her chin in that direction, Shihiri finished covering the boat before slinging her bow over her head. "I suggest we find somewhere defensible and sit it out until nightfall. Travel by moonlight the rest of the way."

It felt strange to think of a separation between day and night again. As the journey had worn on, the days had begun to brighten, the nights shortening. The other two moons had started joining Iri and Kavis in the skies and, during the days, sunlight had begun to appear. At Tracis' Midden, Únik would not have seen that for a few more weeks. It felt wrong to Únik.

With no reason to argue with Shihiri, though Hatyara surprised Únik by not protesting, they travelled inside the tree line of a large expanse of forest on this side of the bank, careful not to show their movements to the opposite bank, in case their pursuers followed them. Within a few moments, they found a fallen tree. A great, thick bole that gave good cover for them to rest.

Únik shrugged the roll of furs from around her neck, not even bothering to unroll them to lie upon. She fell back onto the forest floor and tried not to think of the ache in her legs from running, or the ache in her arms from rowing, or any other of the dozens of aches, pains and twinges she had picked up along the way.

Barsa appeared to love this new area, running around, sniffing every single tree and blade of grass and marking most of them with a cocked leg. He had only ever known Tracis' Midden, bought as a pup and brought up within the snow coated wastes that Únik had called home. Now, he acted like that pup all over again, finding everything new and exciting.

Blinking up into a sky too bright for this time of year, Únik saw a shadow cross her and she lifted an arm to shade her eyes. Hatyara hovered above her, holding something in her hand. Propping herself up onto her elbows, Únik looked at what the Ice-Kin offered. Several strips of salted meat.

"I saw you throw away your supplies. Here. You need to eat." Hesitating before turning away, Hatyara almost looked concerned.

Shrugging, Únik sat up and began to chew the meat. Only now did she realise that her stomach did, in fact, feel empty. She looked to the side and saw that Shihiri had already got a small fire started. Without that girl, Únik didn't know what they would have done. The Fae appeared to find it easy to make a fire. Únik always struggled, even with flint, steel and tinder, yet the Fae seemed able to make fire simply laying twigs upon each other and allowing them to explode into fiery life.

"Are you a mage, or something? I've never seen anyone make fire so easy before." Únik watched as the Fae crouched before the fledgling flames, blowing towards the base, wafting a hand every so often. Looking up, Shihiri grinned.

"Oh, yes! That's why I didn't burn those bastards who chased us, or that Patrons damned wolf." Chuckling, Shihiri shook her head. "No. It's just practice. I'd love to be a mage, though. Making fire just by thinking about it? That would be something."

"Not all mages have the same abilities. Or strengths." Sitting beside Barsa, who had completed marking his new territory, scratching the dog's neck, Hatyara chewed upon a strip of salted meat, looking down at the dog. "My sister, Ylthara, is a storm mage. Not that strong, but she used to make lightning clouds appear in the great hall. For fun."

"So, she wasn't always that bad?" Únik tossed one of her strips of meat towards Barsa and he caught it in mid-air with a loud chomp.

"Oh, no. She's always been heartless. Those lightning clouds were always aimed at the servants. I've hated her my entire life." Hatyara ended that conversation, turning her head away, as though hiding her thoughts.

It seemed there was more to the pursuit, led by Hatyara's sister, Ylthara, than first appeared. And, yet again, Hatyara's demeanour had flipped from one side to the other. Únik's head hurt trying to figure out whether she did or did not like the Ice-Kin and nothing she ever said made that decision easy.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

64.8K 10.9K 122
🌟WATTYS 2023 SHORTLIST 🌟WATTYS 2023 FANS CHOICE AWARDS NOMINEE 🌟WATTYS 2022 SHORTLIST 🌟Editor's Pick (Reading Radar) Feb 2024 🌟 Featured Wattpa...
35.5K 2.6K 34
2023 December Book of the Month @CupidOnTour @WattpadSeries General Fiction Feature JUNE 2023 @HistoricalFiction 'Rise of Civilization' Reading List...
101K 6.2K 61
In a world divided into three races since ancient times, there have been three kingdoms. The first kingdom is the kingdom of the gods and sits in the...
286K 26.2K 111
[#1 in Virtual Reality] Fantasy and Magic meets Science and Technology. In this epic story of brotherly love, friendship, struggle, and conspiracy, c...