emmylou | natasha romanoff

By sansasrose

Kennedy Allen remembers the girl with the blue hair, the same way Natasha Romanoff can't forget the girl with... More

summary + cast.
prologue.
the meeting.
the promise.
the interrogation.
part one.
one.
two.
three.
four.
five.
six.
seven.
eight.
nine.
ten.
eleven.
part two.
twelve.
thirteen.
fourteen.
fifteen.
sixteen.
seventeen.
eighteen.
nineteen.
part three.
twenty.
twenty-one.
twenty-two.
twenty-three.
twenty-four.
twenty-five.
twenty-six.
part four.
twenty-seven.
twenty-eight.
thirty.
thirty-one.
thirty-two.
thirty-three.
part five.
thirty-four.
thirty-five.
thirty-six.
thirty-seven.
thirty-eight.
thirty-nine.
forty.
forty-one.
part six.
forty-two.
forty-three.
forty-four.
forty-five.
forty-six.
forty-seven.
forty-eight.
part seven.
forty-nine.
fifty.
fifty-one.
fifty-two.
fifty-three.
part eight.
fifty-four.
fifty-five.
fifty-six.
fifty-seven.
fifty-eight.
fifty-nine.
sixty.
post-credit #1
post-credit #2
alternate endings.
vormir #1
vormir #2

twenty-nine.

5.6K 302 136
By sansasrose

2016
Manhattan, New York

Wanda wasn't doing well.

Kennedy figured that the incident would take a toll, but she didn't know just how bad it would be. For anyone to ever think that Wanda Maximoff was a terrible person, they'd think differently if they saw the status of her now.

Wanda wasn't sleeping. She wasn't really eating either. Kennedy knew the guilt was eating at her and she wished that there was something she could do to help, but Kennedy wasn't sure what else to do than to just be there. The few nights that Wanda could find sleep, Kennedy would watch over her, as though she could ward away the bad dreams.

"She's not getting better," Kennedy says to Natasha, watching Wanda poke at the food on her plate, "I thought the therapy sessions would help but I don't think they are."

"I could talk to her," Natasha says, "I know what it's like to carry around a massive amount of guilt."

"Be gentle?" Kennedy asks and Natasha nods her head.

"I will."

Kennedy gives Natasha's shoulder a pat as she heads upstairs, leaving Wanda and Natasha alone. The former spy looks over at Wanda who'd given up on eating and had shoved the plate away from herself.

Natasha heads into the kitchen and pulls out the island chair and takes a seat beside Wanda. She looks over at Natasha, "Kennedy send you to talk to me?"

"Actually, I sent myself," Natasha says, "You're not doing better."

"Thank you for stating the obvious," Wanda mutters.

"Wanda," Natasha states sighing softly, "I've done some pretty bad things in my lifetime."

"I know," Wanda says softly, "I saw inside your head in South Africa. You think you're a bad person."

"Yeah," Natasha says, "I do."

Wanda shakes her head, "You're not. Kennedy wouldn't love you if you were a bad person."

"And Kennedy wouldn't love you if you were a bad person either," Natasha responds, "You are a good person. The fact that you are haunted by your actions, that part of you that's horrified, that part is good. It means that you're still human. And it sucks, but you have to hold on to that."

"How do you get past it?" Wanda asks.

"You don't, not really," Natasha tells her, "It is probably going to haunt you for the rest of your life. I'm haunted. Sometimes I can't sleep. Sometimes I have panic attacks. I see kids who look up to me and I wonder why. I know I'm not worthy of it. And Kennedy," Natasha lets out a nervous laugh, "She's the thing I don't deserve the most. I don't deserve her. There's nothing I can do to deserve her. But every day I try. I try to earn her. I try to atone for my sins. Help people like you."

Natasha nudges Wanda and a small smile crosses her lips as she looks at the older woman. Wanda's gaze lowers thoughtfully before she looks back at Natasha, "I wanted to be like you. I look at you and the way that you carry yourself and I wanted to be like that."

Wanda's gaze drops again, her eyes burning hot with tears, "I um wanted you to be proud of me. Kennedy, she loves unconditionally, but people like you and me, we've been hurt before, and we have to earn love and I get that. And I just wanted to earn that from you, and I wasn't ready. No matter how hard I trained, and I didn't feel ready, so I thought maybe I just have to go out there and I was doing good, you know. And then – and then-"

Wanda chokes up and Natasha stares at her sympathetically, placing a hand on Wanda's shoulder, "I want you to listen to me. I am always proud of you and my love for you is unconditional. I know I might not be the best person at showing it but you're the closest thing I have to a kid and I'm going to always be there for you no matter what."

Wanda nods her head, tears falling down her face and Natasha mutters a soft, "Come here," as she holds Wanda in her arms.

"I'm scared," Wanda sobs into Natasha's shoulder.

"I know," Natasha says rubbing her back, "But we're going to get through this. I promise. I won't let anything happen to you."

Wanda hugs Natasha a little tighter at the words.

A month passes and things are still the same. At least once a day the question is raised of who is keeping the Avengers in check and concerns of Wanda's powers seem to be a daily debate on CNN, Fox News, MSNBC, and every other news channel in America. They try to keep Wanda distracted, but they're not with her constantly and curiosity gets the best of her as she watches these debates.

Mainly she wants to know more about the people she killed. Their names, if they had families, things they liked, things they didn't. She needed to know more about them. There was a ceremony to honor them, and Wanda sat alone in the living room as she watched it. As family members, friends, and leaders from around the world spoke on the Wakandan aid workers.

That was the day they all got the call.

Kennedy had gotten her shift covered at the hospital because it wasn't every day that you received a call from the Secretary of State demanding that you appear at a meeting at the Avenger's Facility.

She'd stopped at home where she found Wanda on the couch watching the news. Kennedy grabbed the remote of the couch and switched the TV off, which got the enhanced woman's attention.

"I'm sorry," Wanda apologized, "I know you told me not to watch it, but-"

"I'm not upset," Kennedy states, "You can watch whatever you want, I only suggested against it because I didn't want you upsetting yourself."

Wanda's brow furrows, "Is everything okay? I thought you had a twenty-four-hour shift?"

"I did," Kennedy states, "And then the Secretary of State contacted me, demanding that you and I are at the Avenger's Facility."

"Why?" Wanda asks instantly.

"He didn't really go into detail," Kennedy says as she sits on the couch beside Wanda, "Listen to me. Everything is going to be fine. I'm not going to let them take you away from me, okay?"

"Kennedy, if they want me gone, then I'm gone."

"Well then you and I are just gonna have to move to Canada," Kennedy says, "I told you I'd be with you every step of the way and I meant that. Now go put on some clothes and let's go see what this guy wants."

Wanda nods her head, "Is it just us?"

"Nat told me the whole team is there," Kennedy states, "Tony too. I think it's an Avengers problem. Which means the focus isn't ultimately going to be on you but there's always a chance you'll be brought up."

"Understood," Wanda tells her.

"I got you. You trust me?" Kennedy asks holding up her fist. Wanda's lips quirk up as she fist bumps Kennedy without a second thought.

"Always do," Wanda states.

After Wanda gets dressed, they enter the facility and once again find themselves in the conference room. All eyes are on them as they walk in, and Wanda takes the last available seat at the table while Kennedy takes the empty seat beside Tony.

"Five years ago, I had a heart attack and dropped right in the middle of my backswing. Turned out it was the best round of my life because after thirteen hours of surgery and a triple bypass I found something forty years in the Army never taught me."

Everyone sits silently, awaiting Ross to present his near-death discovery.

"Perspective," he states, "The world owes the Avengers an unpayable debt. You have fought for us...protected us, risked your lives...but while a great many people who see you as heroes, there are some who would prefer the word 'vigilantes."

"How is she?" Tony asks softly.

"She's doing better. I can actually get her to eat most nights," Kennedy states, and Tony nods his head as he sits back in his seat.

And what word would you use?" Natasha inquiries.

"How about dangerous?" Ross states, "What would you call a group of US-based, enhanced individuals who routinely ignore sovereign borders and inflict their will wherever they choose and who frankly seem unconcerned with what they leave behind?"

Ross clicks on the holographic screen behind him. Footage of people running and screaming plays as aliens fly in through a wormhole in the sky.

"New York."

The footage changes to the hellicarriers falling out of the sky in Washington and into the Potomac River below, the water flooding the streets of D.C.

"Washington, D.C."

This time the footage shows a floating rock in the sky and Kennedy can hear the panicked screams of everyone as they get on the SHIELD lifeboats.

"Sokovia."

And then the most recent tragedy plays, showing recent news footage of the burning building a camera pans in on Wanda's face as she stands there, hand over her mouth in shock at what had just taken place.

"Lagos."

"Okay that's enough," Steve orders.

"For the past four years, you've operated with unlimited power... and no supervision. That's an arrangement the governments of the world can no longer tolerate. But I think we have a solution. The Sokovia Accords."

A document is dropped on the conference table and Kennedy stares at it as Wanda takes the file and looks at it before sliding it in Rhodey's direction.

"Approved by 117 countries, it states that the Avengers shall no longer be a private organization. Instead, they'll operate under the supervision of a United Nations panel only when and if that panel deems it necessary."

It basically meant that the Avengers would become something resembling a branch of the military where they would be deployed where the world's government saw fit. But how would that work? Governments could hardly agree internally, there's no way that they could agree with one another.

"The Avengers were formed to make the world a safer place. I feel we've done that," Steve states.

"Tell me, Captain, do you know where Thor and Banner are right now?"

"Xandar," Kennedy answers, getting Ross's attention, "Thor and Bruce went to Xandar. It's a planet, not in our galaxy, but not too far away. They're tracking Infinity Stones."

"Infinity Stones?" Ross asks, a hint of amusement in his tone, "And what is that?"

"Singularities created by the Big Bang," Vision answers as he reaches up and touches the Mind Stone, "They're extremely powerful and if they fall into the wrong hands, they will not only be humanity's demise but quite possibly the entire universe."

Ross points to Vision, "See that right there raises the question many people ask. How do we know that your hands are the right hands?"

"They're not the wrong ones," Natasha states, "All we've done is try to protect the world from threats that their government and military may not be prepped for."

"And then that leads to the question of what can the government handle? What is Avenger's jurisdiction exactly?" Ross questions, "Look I know that you guys are just trying to do good. I respect that. But this is the only way that the people of Earth are going to trust you to defend them. Compromise. Reassurance. That's how the world works."

"Three days from now the UN meets in Vienna to ratify the Accords," Ross says, pointing at the file that was now in Steve's hands, "Talk it over."

"And if we come to a decision you don't like?" Natasha asks.

"Then you retire," Ross states. A small smile comes on Natasha's lips as she nods her head. Ross and his entourage leave, and the room is silent as everyone takes their turn reading over the document.

"A hundred and seventeen," Rhodey states, "That's how many nations want to put this in place. This is a no-brainer."

"No," Sam argues, "This is us potentially signing away our rights."

"Our rights were gone after Lagos," Rhodey states, and Wanda inhales across from him loudly, leading to Natasha glaring at him. Rhodey sighs as he looks over at Wanda, "I'm sorry, that wasn't your fault."

"It was my fault," Wanda says, "And I'm sorry that this is happening."

"It's not your fault," Tony states as he stands, "This was a long time coming. And now we have to accept what is."

"Accept what is?" Natasha asks, "You're willing to just give up?"

"We're not giving up," Tony states, "We're still in this. There are just some restrictions. Besides, this is better than the alternative. This way we can negotiate."

"And what are we negotiating?" Sam questions, "If you don't mind me asking."

"The first thing we can negotiate is Wanda's visa," Tony states, getting Kennedy's attention, "There have been talks of should Wanda be allowed to stay in the US. I don't know what the Department of Defense is thinking, but this way we get a jump on the situation."

"And what if the negotiations aren't in our favor?" Steve asks, "What if Wanda gets to stay but they want to imprison her?"

"We wouldn't let that happen," Tony tells her, "Look you guys it's this or we're done."

Natasha sighs, "He's right."

"He is?" Sam asks.

"I am?" Tony questions, "I mean usually I am but you agreeing with me is so weird. I like it."

"Don't make me take it back," Natasha says, bringing a smile on Tony's lips.

"I have an equation," Vision spoke up and Sam rolls his eyes.

"Oh yeah, this will clear it up."

"In the eight years since Mr. Stark announced himself as Iron Man the number of known enhanced persons has grown exponentially. During the same period, the number of potential world-ending events has risen at a commensurate rate."

"Are you saying it's our fault?" Steve asks Vision, looking up from the Accords that he had been reading.

"I'm saying there may be a causality. Our very strength invites challenge. Challenge incites conflict. And conflict breeds catastrophe. Oversight is not an idea that can be dismissed out of hand."

Tony places his phone down and a projection comes up of an unfamiliar young man. Tony points to the phone, "That's Charles Spencer, by the way. He's a great kid. Computer engineering degree, 3.6 GPA, had a floor-level gig at Intel planned for the fall."

"He died in Sokovia. His mother approached me and asked me who avenges his death? We mean well, but maybe we need to be put into check."

Kennedy stares at Charles's picture and she understood where his mother was coming from. If they could secure that Wanda wouldn't be deported, then she didn't see the issue with everyone signing. However, if they were going to do this, they all needed to be on the same page.

"Vienna isn't for another three days," Kennedy states, and everyone looks at her, "This is a lot and I think that everyone should read the Accords, sleep on it, and then we can come back to make a decision, but whatever decision we make, we have to do it together."

"She's right," Natasha says, "We have to decide as a whole. If one of us doesn't want to sign, then we don't sign."

"I think that is a fair arrangement," Vision states, "Though I have run the possibilities over and over in my head and our best bet is to sign the Accords."

"It's something to think about," Steve says as he stares at the document in his hand, "I'll give my last opinion. We're the Avengers and we came together by our own accord to fight and defend humanity. This document holds us accountable, but if we sign this, we surrender our right to choose. We may not be perfect, but the safest hands are still our own."

"Let's sleep on it," Natasha says standing up, "We can all talk about this in the morning when we've got a clear head and have fully read the Accords."

"Agreed," Rhodey states, "In the meantime, I was going to grab a drink. Sam? Vision?"

"I cannot consume fermented beverages, but I would love to accompany you," Vision says.

"Yeah, I'm in too, let me grab my jacket," Sam says as he heads out of the conference room.

Rhodey looks at his best friend, "Tony? I know you need a drink man."

"What's going on with you?" Natasha asks as she bumps the billionaire with her hip.

"Ah nothing serious," Tony says, "Pepper and I are going through some stuff."

"Oh my god, is she pregnant?" Kennedy asks curiously.

"No," Tony replies, "Uh actually we're taking a break."

"Oh Tony," Kennedy says as she rests a hand on his shoulder. Tony shakes his head.

"No, it's fine. I'm fine," Tony tells her, "No need for concern or anything. There are plenty of women out there, you know?"

"Yeah, I'm gonna buy you a drink," Rhodey says as he pats Tony on the shoulder.

"You know what? I could use it. I think we all could use a drink actually. Team trip to the bar! All drinks are on me," Tony exclaims.

And that is how they all end up at a Manhattan bar. Rhodey, Tony, Sam, and Vision were all sitting at the bar, but Kennedy, Wanda, Natasha, and Steve had settled on a booth in the back. Steve was still reading the Accords and Kennedy was watching the people at the bar.

"Thought you had an all-nighter?" Natasha asks, getting Kennedy's attention.

"I did," Kennedy says, "Ross summoned me."

"You're technically not an Avenger," Natasha states.

"I guess because I'm your wi-fiancé I was supposed to be there," Kennedy shrugs, "I don't know. No other Avenger is in a long-term relationship, other than Clint and he's retired so I don't think he counts."

"I can't believe Tony and Pepper broke up," Natasha mutters.

"I can," Kennedy mutters and Natasha tilts her head curiously as she looks over at Kennedy who shrugs, "I mean they're both stubborn people."

"But he's not really working with the team anymore," Natasha responds, "He took a step back. That should fix things, not break them."

"Maybe Tony wasn't ready to take a step back," Wanda suggests, "Maybe that's why they broke up."

"Maybe," Kennedy mutters, her eyes dropping to the table.

"Hey um I'm going to go wander around the bar," Wanda says as she slides out of the booth, earning curious looks from both Natasha and Kennedy.

"Wander?" Natasha asks, "The bar isn't that big."

"Yeah but I think I see someone that I know," Wanda says as she points toward the opposite corner of the bar, "I'll be over there."

The two of them watch as Wanda walks off.

"Oh," Natasha says with a laugh, "Reagan's here."

"Reagan?" Kennedy asks, wondering how her nineteen-year-old sister got into the bar, "How'd she get in here?"

"I'm sure she's very capable of making a fake ID," Natasha responds and Kennedy sighs.

"We're getting old, you realize that?" Kennedy asks, "I mean I'm thirty."

"I'm over a hundred," Steve mutters, not taking his eyes off of the Accords.

"Yeah, well I'm not a super-soldier," Kennedy responds, "I have like twenty good years left in me and then I'll have arthritis."

Natasha laughs, "Did you hear yourself? Twenty good years? That's like double your lifetime."

"I'm having an existential crisis," Kennedy says as she looks at Natasha, "Didn't you have one when you were my age?"

"You make me sound so old," Natasha says with a laugh, "And I didn't have one."

"How are you so secure in your age?" Kennedy asks, making Natasha roll her eyes in amusement.

"Believe it or not, having a younger partner does keep you young," Natasha teases.

"Ha!" Kennedy says, tilting her head. She reaches across the table, grabbing Natasha's hands and fiddling with her fingers, "Nat I'm scared of getting old."

"There's nothing to be scared of," Natasha tells her, "You won't go grey for at least five more years and retirement is closer."

"True," Kennedy says as she looks at her wife, "I haven't told you this, but I like when you grow your hair out."

"Do you?" Natasha asks with a small smile and Kennedy nods her head.

"I've never seen you with long hair. It's a good look. Probably not good for fighting though," Kennedy says as she reaches up and grabs the end of Natasha's red hair.

"Good thing I won't be fighting long," Natasha tells her as she reaches out and grabs Kennedy's hand, and kisses the back of it, "I'll grow it to my waist if you want."

Kennedy giggles, "No, that would be too much. I feel like this length is perfect."

"Okay," Natasha says, "I'll keep that in mind."

Kennedy smiles at Natasha and her phone buzzes on the table. She looks down at it to see Sharon's name and picture on her phone. She shows Natasha the screen before she swipes across, answering the call.

"Hey," Kennedy greets.

"Hi," Sharon says, "Have you ever written a eulogy before?"

"I have for my dad," Kennedy says as she sits a little straighter in the booth, "Why? What's wrong?"

"You know the founder of SHIELD? Margaret Carter?"

Margaret Carter. Peggy Carter. The puzzle clicks itself right into place. Steve's Peggy was Sharon's relative, her grandmother perhaps?

"You're related to her," Kennedy states.

"She's my Great Aunt," Sharon tells her, "And she's um she's not doing too good right now. They say that today might be the day and so I have to start working on the eulogy."

"Sharon, I am so sorry," Kennedy states.

"What are you apologizing for? She lived a great life. People have to die at some point."

"It doesn't make the loss any better," Kennedy states and that gets Natasha's attention. She looks at Kennedy questionably, but she shakes her head, nodding over at Steve which seems to confuse Natasha even more.

"Is there anything that I can do?" Kennedy asks.

"Help me write this eulogy?" Sharon asks her.

"Yeah, I mean it's the least I can do," Kennedy tells her, "We're at a bar right now but I'll facetime you tonight and we can knock this out."

"Okay," Sharon says, "Thank you so much, Ken."

"Yeah of course," Kennedy states, "I love you, Sharon."

"Love you too."

The call ends and Kennedy sighs as she looks over at Steve who still had his nose buried in the Accords. Natasha looks at her expectantly.

"I'll tell you when we get home," Kennedy says as she looks back at her wife, "Wanna dance with me?"

"Sure," Natasha says as she slides out of the booth and Kennedy does as well as she takes Natasha's hand. There wasn't really room to dance, but they could make room. Kennedy placed her hands in Natasha's as they began swaying.

"Think I should sign the Accords?" Natasha asks.

"I do," Kennedy agrees, "I mean I understand that you guys want to remain in control of everything, but if you want to keep governments off your back, this is the way to do it."

"And Wanda?"

"We're not going to let anything happen to her," Kennedy says.

"You know," Natasha says, "She's kind of like our first kid."

Kennedy nods, "I know."

"Think we're doing a good job?" Natasha asks curiously.

Kennedy looked across the bar where Wanda was sitting with Reagan, her roommate, Monica, and Kiara who'd Reagan met on her first day. They were all laughing, and Kennedy honestly hadn't heard Wanda laugh since the incident and she'd really missed the sound.

Across the bar, Wanda glances over at Kennedy and Natasha, a smile crossing her lips as she watches the two women dance together. She meets Kennedy's gaze and her cheeks flush as she lifts her hand and gives Kennedy a small wave.

Kennedy laughs at the gesture and gives Wanda a wave of her own, "Yeah, I think we're doing a really good job."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

404K 11.7K 19
in which the dark sorcerous fell in love with the naive witch • " i thought you said there were only two of them! " " well, I only saw red and blu...
123K 3.6K 24
Natasha Romanoff x Fem!OC "I care too much to let myself love; to let myself end up hurting them" Azara's tragically timed and unplanned visit to Sta...
129K 4.4K 39
𝐚 𝐭𝐢𝐦𝐞𝐥𝐢𝐧𝐞 𝐰𝐡𝐞𝐫𝐞 𝐧𝐚𝐭𝐚𝐬𝐡𝐚 𝐟𝐨𝐮𝐧𝐝 𝐥𝐨𝐯𝐞 𝐢𝐧 𝐬𝐨𝐦𝐞𝐨𝐧𝐞 𝐰𝐡𝐨 𝐢𝐬 𝐫𝐞𝐥𝐞𝐚𝐫𝐧𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐡𝐨𝐰 𝐭𝐨 𝐥𝐨𝐯𝐞. ᴇᴠᴇʀᴇꜱᴛ...
110K 4K 56
Aloisia spent years travelling between planets before finally settling on earth, where she met Natasha Romanoff Natasha Romanoff x fem!oc Follow even...