The Immortal Prince ✔️

By Midika

"Tomorrow, we don't have to speak of this again." I hardly know what I'm asking. I just know I want whatever... More

1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
40
41
42
43
Epilogue

9

11.6K 475 55
By Midika

Word Count: 1819

OUT NOW

~Vaela

Consciousness, for once, greets me sweetly.

Blinking blearily, I look up into large brown eyes staring down at me. "Eyla..."

"Good, you're awake. I was starting to worry." She rests her hand against her chest, like she had been literally sitting over me monitoring my every breath, which I wouldn't put past her.

I sit up, letting her adjust my pillows behind me. "Where's Hale?"

"Him and Will are out there somewhere, ignoring each other," Eyla motions toward the door.

Looking around, I remember I'm in Hale's cave, and all of that wasn't just a strange dream. Relief crushes me.

This is where I'm meant to be.

"I can't believe Will came." I run my hands down my face. The pain has diminished to a quiet ebb, although my limbs still tremble, weakened by the shock.

"Forget him and how he is still painfully in love with you," Eyla jokes, making me grimace.

Hale is likely out there, tormenting Will in that subtle way he does, making my past boyfriend feel completely powerless in his presence.

It sates some bitter part buried within me that harbours resentment toward Will for how he once treated me.

Eyla flops down on the bed beside me, dark hair splaying out over the white pillows. "How are you feeling?"

"Better, actually. Weak, but better." I run my hands down my arms, still haunted by the cold. Reality is, I'm still mortal, which is a fate I can't escape so easily.

"That's so strange. I wonder what happened," Eyla muses.

I hum in agreement, curious also.

Eyla suddenly sits up, bracing herself on her elbows as she looks down at me. "You don't think..."

"Shh, I don't even want to put that in my mind." Stuffing my hands over my face, I will that thought away. Me spontaneously getting better can't possibly have anything to do with being reunited with Hale. Right?

"Seriously though, what if you're connected to him."

"If I am, it's only because he's a Pureblood, and probably in control of that magic," I mutter tiredly. Any other explanation is far too frightening to bear thinking about. Me having any connection to Hale has dark connotations.

Eyla shrugs, although I catch the gleam in her eyes. "Maybe..."

"Eyla," I reprimand, jabbing her ribs with my elbow.

"What? I didn't say anything." She bites down on her lower lip, unable to smother her knowing grin.

The door opens, casting my attention away from my friend and to Hale, who wanders in.

His gaze sweeps over me, looking relatively pleased with whatever he sees. "How are you feeling?"

"I'm managing," I murmur, ignoring the way Eyla nudges my foot with hers under the covers. She will not be satisfied until she has embarrassed me to the point I can only pray the cold takes me.

He stalks around the bed. "You look far healthier."

Admittedly, I feel healthier. It's like I've been dipped back into a pool of immortality, feeling far closer to my older self than before. Were it not for the cold, I'd be racing around the mountain like before.

"I am, I think."

He stands back, folding his arms over his chest. "Maybe try standing, see if you can walk around."

"Eyla, could you help?" I ask my friend, edging toward the bed.

Instead of grabbing my arm to aid me, she scrambles off the bed, dragging her gaze toward the Pureblood. "Hale, you're far stronger."

I glare at my friend with her smug expression. Transparent bitch.

Hale doesn't hesitate, taking Eyla's place at the edge of the bed, encouraging me closer. Reluctantly, I allow his arm to wind around my waist, my weight bracing against his firm stature as he helps me stand.

It's difficult, to will my body to obey my mental commands, legs trembling beneath me. Hale is unmoving as he keeps me standing, gloved hand pressing into my side distractingly.

"Careful with your hands," I murmur lowly, swaying unevenly.

Hale turns his head, lips right by my ear. "I'm not going to throw you onto this bed and take advantage of you, Vaela."

Maybe it's because he's so close, and I can feel his breath against my face, but images of exactly what that would look like flash invasively into my mind. What is wrong with me?

I clear my throat. "I think I can stand by myself."

Hale steps away an inch, hands gliding down my arms as he helps steady me. Once he's satisfied that I am capable of standing without assistance, he steps away, gaze still tracking me intently.

Regardless of whether I look stupid or not, I balance my arms out, willing my knees not to buckle.

"It's because of the magic pool," Hale says suddenly.

I stare at a spot on the wall, concentrating on my balance. "Huh?"

"The pool. It runs through this mountain, leaving traces of it's magic everywhere. You're back in it's presence now, that's why you're feeling better," he murmurs.

I gape at him, as he shrugs. "That's my guess, anyway."

"So you're saying I can never leave here?" I'm stunned. The thought of being imprisoned in this cave for the rest of my mortal life is horrifying. But so is facing what I felt back home, that nearly killed me.

"You were never going to leave that small home down there either. Here, you will be safe." he looks toward Eyla, who appears just as shocked as I am.

My chest constricts as anxiety seizes me. "I don't want to be safe. I want to be free."

It seemed obvious that I wouldn't be leaving here anytime soon once Hale came back for me, but there is something different about being told it. I've spent so many years free, and now reality is crushing down upon me. I'm trapped.

"There's nothing free in death," Hale reminds me.

My balance wavers, but before I can topple to the ground in shock and horror, Hale is right beside me again, gripping my arm as he guides me gentle back to the bed.

"You don't know that. I could become immortal again," I tell him. His eyes are sad, knowing my arguments are futile.

He exhales through his nose. "I doubt it."

"I can't be stuck here forever. Eyla will leave..." I look toward Eyla, who leans against the wall, not nearly as concerned as I am. I'm sure she is grateful for an excuse to return to the cave to visit me, and also to gaze doe-eyed at Hale.

"I'll stay as long as you need, but I do have work soon," she reminds me.

Hale points to the door. "As will that ex of yours."

"You can't leave me alone." I'm begging, at this point. Eyla and Hale exchange glances, neither of them certain how exactly to convince me, but both know there isn't much more that can be said.

"I'm not so bad...maybe you'll come to like me," Hale teases, although I don't share his smile. Come to like him or not, he's a Pureblood, and this favour he is granting me won't last forever, I imagine.

"We have to find another way."

"And we will. Once you're feeling better." Hale strolls to the bedside table, handing me the half full glass of water sitting on it. I glare at him, but take it regardless.

"I'm feeling fine..." I mutter over the rim of the glass.

"Will and I will look for a Gaze Reader. There has to be someone, somewhere," Eyla offers. Considering none of us have come across a Gaze Reader in our decently long lives, the chances of us finding one in a matter of weeks seem so slim it's shredded any lasting hope I have apart.

Hale claps his hands together. "It's settled then. Until this magical Gaze Reader appears, you stay here."

I flop back into my pillows, both exhausted and frustrated.

"Sorry if I don't exactly trust you, Hale," I mumble. I think I'm being difficult because the thought of resigning myself to be taken care of by someone so unpredictable is terrifying.

Hale frowns, tilting his head. "What's the worst I can do?"

"Kill me!" I exclaim wildly.

He grins, cruelly. Seeing a man so powerful, a Pureblood, amused at my fear of being killed, seems very appropriate. Death to him means nothing, since not much can kill him, compared to me.

All I do is think about death now, and how imminent it is.

"If I wanted to, I would have." He leans over my side of the bed, bracing one hand by my pillow. I stiffen, entranced by his silvery eyes, by his sudden proximity.

"And if you actually do take advantage of me?" I ask, sounding breathless.

I mean it as a joke, but any humour is lost in my tone. Regardless, Hale gives me a lazy smile, eyes blantantly tracing downward, making me grateful for the ivory duvet I have pulled over me.

"I would never," he purrs.

Holding his gaze, I watch as he pushes away, turning his back to me.

"Not that I would need to," I hear him mumble under his breath.

Eyla seems to hear it too, eyes lighting up. "What was that, Hale?"

Hale turns back to me, his subtle smile telling me everything I need to know. I have no doubt he has no issue getting women in the past, and not just because of his position in power. He's trying to amuse me, although for some reason what he says digs at me. I hope he doesn't bring one of these women here...

"I would just seduce you, Vaela, if I do want that." His gaze breezes over me, painfully hot.

Sex. He means sex. He could just say it. I mean, the weight of the word hangs heavy in the air between us.

"You couldn't, even if you did want to," I snap back, nestling deeper under the covers as if I can hide myself from his retort.

Hale's brow quirks. "Do you want me to?"

"I never said that...

"I mean, we aren't going to be having any contact with anyone outside of this cave for awhile. Wouldn't want things to get...boring." I scrunch my nose up while Hale smiles. He's taunting me, trying to make me more comfortable, but now I'm left wondering if there is any truth in what he's saying.

"I think I can entertain myself," I respond sharply.

"Is it me or is it getting hot in here?" Eyla says suddenly, stepping away from the wall. "I should probably go..."

"Eyla!" I call out, watching her edge toward the door.

Hale looks between us, then winks at me. "I'm excited for this, Vaela."

💜••💜

As always, the story will be available 10 chapters ahead on Radish!!!

You can also find it on GoodNovel (:

~Midika 💜🐼

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.4K 440 42
"I pray for your soul, Lamont Oliver. I pray God has mercy on you. And on me, for loving you." *** When one lives for hundreds of years, mistakes hap...
642 1 36
**This is the CLEAN version! The sexy version is available on Radish at https://radish.app.link/h0fk0S0q9rb** Determined mer warlord Torun can't wait...
1.9M 78.2K 60
"I call bullshit." Digging my finger into his broad chest, I met his intense stare without an ounce of fright, "I've been calling bullshit for the pa...
493K 20.6K 47
*BOOK TWLEVE* (Can be read as standalone) "Having two mates is almost impossible. But it's happened to me. And not only do I have two mates, one is a...