Forever Luminescent

By rose-crowned

"Just shine like you always do." Gwenn Davidson has always known she was adopted, but after clearing up her... More

Preface
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
A Special Thanks!

Chapter 41

55 3 0
By rose-crowned

WHEN SHE TURNED ON her phone, it blared in her hand and she dropped it in surprise. She winced at the obvious shatter, knowing her screen was going to look worse. The sound continued filling up her apartment, so she ignored the new cracks and loose pieces to stare at her mother's face shining like a mosaic.

Gwenn groaned but pressed her ear to the screen despite the burning feeling in her chest urging her to ignore her. She had ignored her for a full day. She couldn't put it off any longer.

"Mom," she answered. A shocked cry replied from the other end, turning into a desperate sob of relief.

"Gwenn, my sweet!" Meredith started. "I was so worried. You weren't answering my calls or Malcolm's. Last night was a nightmare. Russell, my coworker from Compass I'm sure you remember, accused me of using you to get information on him to win the Vice President position through his son. Can you believe the absolute insanity?"

The words flew out of her mother like a volcano erupting. Gwenn sat down between her kitchen and living room, letting the revelation fall over her like raindrops had turned into burning hot daggers slashing against her skin. With her back against the wall, she stared over at the couch with a blank expression, blinking slowly as if nothing could process in her brain.

"What?" she mumbled.

"That Wallace boy started spreading lies," her mother gritted out. "Now the company is having me under review. They think I'm not gonna go to the gala, but they have underestimated me once again."

Gwenn glanced at her bags piled by her legs. The dress needed to be hung and steamed, and she needed to start her makeup transformation if she were to attend that over-the-top Christmas gala.

"I got proof that Russell was a dirty cheat," Meredith continued. "And I'll be revealing that tonight. As for you, I was also told of a certain plot to find your biological mother and your being in Arizona, but since Wallace has been proved to be untrustworthy, I'm deciding not to believe those rumors."

The urge was heavy on her tongue. She could go along with the scenario her mother had so conveniently painted in colors she found bright and promising. But when she closed her eyes, all she could see was Ronan staring down at her with those broken eyes, his face paling at the realization that Gwenn wasn't what she seemed.

"Mom..." Gwenn sighed, pressing a hand over her forehead. "Wolf was telling the truth about that. I was looking for her."

The line went silent, and she feared her mother had hung up the phone, but a second later she heard a shuddering intake of breath.

"I don't have the energy to deal with this right now, Gwenn," Meredith let out. Her words were pointed and rushed. "We will talk about this after the gala. For now, make sure you get ready and be there on time."

The call disconnected before she could get another word out. Slight relief spread through her body as she heaved out a sigh. The rest of the night promised a nasty migraine, but there was one thing for certain: Gwenn was not waiting until after the posh event, she was getting her answers as soon as she stepped foot into that gala.

Hales Bay was a small town full of charm and a surprising amount of holiday cheer. Driving down Main St, she eyed the many Christmas lights wrapped around palm trees, wreaths hung at every window, and red bows topping every doorframe. The street proved to be as adorable as when she was in high school. If she wasn't on the clock to get to Vermilion Boulevard on the other side of town, she would have stopped and gotten coffee at Café con Leche like when she went out with her friends back then.

Soon the older brick buildings switched into modern, sleek architecture once she drove past Zion Auditorium. Shivers ran down her spine as she remembered the near death experience her friend Scarlet went through in there during their senior year. The large building faded behind her as she entered Preppy territory.

The switch was evident. Expensive cars drove beside her. The road looked newly paved. Decorative shrubs and trees were perfectly maintained and bright green. When she turned on Vermilion Boulevard, the store fronts held glossy entrances as all the clienteles walked down the sidewalks in their designer attire and straight posture. Gwenn already felt out of place.

How Scarlet could stomach the crossover when she started dating Jake, she had no idea.

Gwenn's family was well-off, especially with her mother in such a high position in her company, but even then, they lived in the suburbs of the Rodent side. It was a nice neighborhood, but it would never compare to the Preppy's blatant display of wealth.

She calmed down her erratic heart as she made it to the locale near the end of the street. A decent line of cars waited for valet at the front. Gwenn got in line, seeing as she had no idea where to park herself and she needed to find her parents in the next few minutes before she would explode into a puddle of more tears.

The valet guy opened the door for her, nodding at her in greeting and helping her out in her dress. His brown eyes surveyed her face, and she studied him back knowing she had seen him before.

"You're friends with Scar, aren't you?" he asked, looking her up and down. It was the only time a guy had ever done that and she hadn't felt creeped out. Her tense expression melted on her face as she recalled the bronze skin and contagious grin.

"Wait, you're friends with Jake," she replied, snapping her fingers. "You played...Mercutio?"

He laughed, still holding onto her car door. "That would be me. Thomas Holt at your service." He gave a comical bow.

She giggled. "It's nice to meet you again. I'm Gwenn Davidson. Just in case you're gonna tell Jake, at least have the specifics."

Thomas threw his head back, and his bow tie shifted in his neck. "Duly noted, Miss Davidson. Enjoy the night. I'll make sure your car is safe and sound." He winked and got into her car, pulling the seat back to drive it out.

She shook her head as Thomas sped in her car down the street, leaving a small puff of exhaust in his wake.

Turning around, she noticed the amount of people walking into the opened double doors, some hanging onto each other's arms while others strutted in on their own. Faint Christmas music thumped through speakers, growing louder the closer she stepped into the locale.

Inside, Compass had outdone themselves in transforming the otherwise bland locale into a winter wonderland. Fake snow piled up in corners, shimmering iridescent under the lights. Round tables filled the space, covered in white cloths and red decorative napkins. Flower vases served as centerpieces, tied with large, red bows, and stuffed with long candy canes. Garlands hung from the ceiling archways, decorated with red, green, and silver ornaments and bright lights.

People padded across the floors as if floating through the artificial wonderland. Women peered up at people through their long lashes. Men squared their shoulders in their well-fitted suits, offering their arms to their partners. Servers hurried along the floors, offering drinks and Christmas-inspired hors d'oeuvres to the guests.

A dance floor stood near the middle of the locale, elevated by white-lit tiles as couples swirled around as if put in a trance by the powers that be. Men and women. Women and women. Men and men. People with people. All caught in the holiday spirit as they moved to the music.

Gwenn thought she had stepped foot into a Hallmark movie.

Until a hand grasped onto her arm, twirling her around in her heels. Air escaped her lungs in a quick exhale as her eyes met Wolf's. His gaze flashed amid the white lights, appearing more molten and electrifying than their usual dark color.

"You think you can just saunter in here without consequence," he hissed into her ear. Gwenn struggled against his grip. To the outside world, it looked like he was holding her close, like an intimate affair they got to witness. She blinked back traitorous tears. "After everything you've done, you think you're off the hook."

She raised her chin, leveling her breathing to calm her raging insides. "I wasn't the one doing wrong here," she said. It took all of her willpower to push out those words, but they felt good coming out of her tongue, even if they faltered and wavered.

Wolf set his jaw, his nose almost touching hers. She couldn't help but swallow as his nostrils flared. "You lied. You lied about not knowing Ronan's plans. You swore he was turning in a stupid motor. And you've made me lose my position. This is all your fault."

The heavy knot tying her insides loosened. Her eyes dried, but she knew they would be sparkling like polished diamonds reflecting the lights. Though Wolf held onto her arms like when they were shrouded in darkness under Marshall Lockfell's statue, she couldn't help smiling.

If Wolf had lost his position at MNTR, that meant Ronan won the spot with his design. He had succeeded after all.

"Why are you smiling?" Wolf growled, pulling her into a deserted corner. A server stared at them oddly before walking away with their silver platters filled with sparkling alcohol. "You are done for. I'm going to destroy your life. Your mother can say goodbye to her future here. She'll go down as the corrupt bitch who embezzled money from Compass."

Despite his threats, Gwenn giggled. Her mother's earlier phone call came back to mind, and all she could do was pat Wolf's chest like he had told her the best joke he could come up with.

"Sweetie," she started. His frown deepened into a menacing scowl, but it didn't deter her. "I feel it is important of me to tell you that if you think you can tear my mother down, you're in for quite a surprise. When it comes to Meredith Davidson, you better count your minutes. That woman works quietly, but will snap your neck in seconds. You think you tainted her reputation by spreading lies, which your father might have spread deeper into the company, but you only fueled her."

His hand grabbed onto her side, pinching her skin so hard she knew he'd leave a mark. He clenched onto his molars, his breath coming out harsh over her face, but her lips twisted up into a small smile.

"Acting cocky doesn't suit you, Gwenn," he said, stepping closer. His leg lodged itself between hers, pushing back her emerald skirt. "Know that I'll destroy your life little by little, and you'll know that it was all your fault."

Gwenn pushed against his chest with her tiny curled fists. "No, Wolf, you'll be destroying yours. And you've already started. You couldn't even believe in yourself to make good, quality designs for your internship. If you ask me, you've already killed yourself by letting people like your father control you and your actions. Looking for his favor is going to get you nowhere, and that was proven with MNTR."

Wolf was about to retort, but she raised a finger to his lips. His thick eyebrows furrowed even more.

"Blame me all you want, but we both know it's not about me. It's all about you. Don't worry, Wolf. I believe that one day you'll see the error of your ways and turn your life around. You're smart and talented. You can do so much more than you think." Without even thinking, she reached up and pat his cheek twice. "Now don't come crawling back to me, Lawrence. I have a feeling you'll be dealing with a lot in your household."

She pulled away from him, and swished around, letting her skirt twirl around her frame as she went off, deep into the crowd of sparkling gowns and shiny suits.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4.2M 108K 55
Hoping for no distractions during her senior year of college, Ryan finds herself in a whirlwind romance following a one-night stand with the last per...
245 46 14
He smirks, "You've finally cracked." I furrow my eyebrows, "You were baiting me? Jerk, just turn off your music!" "Or what?" He asks teasingly. "Or...
129K 5.5K 41
"You can't just leave that easy!" He tugs on the grip on my shoulder to bring me closer to him. "Nothing comes easy, Golden Boy. I don't have a norma...
1.9K 225 22
Avery Turner is meant for perfection. Perfection in this case, is very academic and not social or emotional. No one has to know that though. For ever...