The True Saint

By ambercoleman48jj

A darklina story~How would the story end if the battle at the climax of Seige & Storm between Alina and the D... More

The Final War Has Just Begun
We Will Always Be Enemies
The Lantsov Garden
The Alternative Strategy
I Need You
Nothing Happened
The Hidden Room
A Broken Saint
My Wicked Side
Hope & Fear
A Game Of Dominance
My Queen
A New Party Trick
Alone For All Eternity
The Glorious Sun Summoner
The Wedding
Desire
Otkazat'sya
Lies & Traitors
The Outcome of Defiance
My Villain & My Balance
Keramzin Girl
Ogglibations & Fear
Love Is For The Weak
A Broken Darkling
Violence Begets Violence
I Promise
Grief & Vengeance
Lost Cause
Mercy
Clever Queen
Mrs. Morozova
A True Saint
Old Demons
Crowns & Envy
Dancing With the Enemy
Deceitful Queens & Devious Kings
Dead Man Walking
Love & War
A Bad Sharer
The Devil Himself
For All Eternity
The End
โ€ผ๏ธ Surprise Bonus Chapter: Sparkly Darklyโ€ผ๏ธ
Out Now!
Sequel
๐Ÿ”น ๐“๐ก๐ž ๐“๐ซ๐ฎ๐ž ๐’๐š๐ข๐ง๐ญ ๐’๐ž๐ช๐ฎ๐ž๐ฅ: Chapter 1๐Ÿ”น
๐Ÿ”นAll Things Must End: Chapter 2๐Ÿ”น
๐Ÿ”นChapter 3๐Ÿ”น
๐Ÿ”นChapter 4๐Ÿ”น
๐Ÿ”นChapter 5๐Ÿ”น
All Things Must End

Unavoidable War

1.7K 61 17
By ambercoleman48jj

"We have a visitor."

        "Who?" Aleksander questions with narrowed eyes.

        Nikolai peeks his head out into the hallway to make sure no one is around and then shuts us inside the dark room. "Queen Leyti has come requesting your presence."

        "How bold of her," the Darkling says with clenched teeth. "Considering she disappeared from the party before she could be interrogated for my Alina's disappearance and is involved in a conspiracy to vanquish our Grisha. What does she want."

        "She wouldn't say. The Shu Queen wants you to hear it first. You and Alina."

        "Alina will not be going," Aleksander asserts.

        I address Nikolai and ask, "will you go get my Tailor, Lily." I look down at my ripped, dirty dress from a few days ago. "and retrieve Coraline to get me a new dress–one fit for a Queen."

        "Anything for you, lovely," Nikolai says before leaving. Once he closes the door, Aleksander turns to me and declares, "I do not want you anywhere near the Kir-Taban family. It is not safe–"

"I'm going. I am done being hidden away because it is not safe. I am the Queen– it will never be safe for either of us. I am done running."

The Darkling looks into my determined eyes for a long moment and then exhales. "As you wish." The side of his mouth curves up into a crooked smirk as he adds, "but once we are done, we are finishing what was started before the cursed knocks interrupted us."

        He is standing so close to me although we are not touching. He tilts his head down so that his lips hover unbearably close to mine. Then, the doors burst open with my seamstress, Tailor, and Nikolai.  I clear my throat and focus on the dress that Coraline has contained under a black cover. She uncovers it to reveal an elegant, floor-length gown with a poofy skirt andsleeves that fall to from the shoulders. It is certainly something that a Queen would wear and if I am going to meet with another queen that thinks I am–to put it bluntly–inadequate, I need an extravagant dress.

_______________
*Side note: I know the time this is based in—tsarist Russia—did not have sleeveless dresses, but I couldn't help but show this one. I lovvee dresses. Anyways, carry on.*
________________

        I start to undress but stop when I realize that both Aleksander and Nikolai are still in the room. "Do you mind?"

        Aleksander raises a brow as if to say 'I've seen it all before' and Nikolai grins and says, "not at all, darling." He receives glares from all of us and Aleksander looks at Nikolai with a murderous eye. "Alright, jokes are a no-go today. Noted." Aleksander points to the door and Nikolai dramatically exits with a sigh. I look at the Darkling and say, "you too." He looks almost offended and scoffs before reluctantly slinking out of the bedroom.

***

        The Darkling, Nikolai, and I walk down the corridor with collected taps of heels and boots on the smooth flooring. I lag behind to talk with Nikolai as the Darkling keeps his swift pace, although I catch him glancing back at me now and then. I like the way he looks at me. His eyes become softer and for a second, I see a flash of the innocent Aleksander from centuries ago, just the boy with hopes of saving Grisha.

        With hopeful eyes, I look at Nikolai and ask, "have you found a way to prevent the war?"

        He shakes his head sadly. "I wish for a way to resolve this conflict as much as you do, but I think the Darkling might be right, Alina. Sometimes, war is necessary." I expected this answer, but it will not stop me from searching for a solution when I have time. Although, time is running out quickly.

Nikolai aims a suspicious look at me. "What happened between you two?"

        I scrunch my brows and ask, "what do you mean?"

        "Well, something happened. You seemed tired and irritable a while ago. Now, you are practically radiating happiness. It must be something very good given we are at the brink of war with an enemy country."

I blush and look down at the floor. I suppose there is no harm in telling him. "The Darkling and I are going to adopt Amelia." Saying the words out loud for the first time brings butterflies to my stomach. Nikolai does not share my enthusiasm, however. He nods his head slowly and looks at me contemplatively.

        "Are you sure that now is the best time to bring a child into your life? You have many enemies and this war... it will only paint a bigger target on your back. I am not trying to bring your spirit down. I just want to make sure that you know the possible danger you are putting the girl in."

        I look ahead at Aleksander, who is miles ahead of us. His steps are anxious and fast-paced as he is only thinking about the possible threat that Queen Leyti has presented. I, on the other hand, am lost in my thoughts of Amelia. Is Nikolai right? By adopting her now, she will be subjected to all of our enemies who will use her to get to me or Aleksander. However, there is a selfish part of me that wants the happiness of having a family. I also want her to have a family.

Aleksander is waiting for us like an impatient child at the entrance to the Grand Hall. Before we enter, we are flanked by a team of security guards and Grisha. "Just for precaution," the Darkling explains, but I know it is really to protect me.

The Shu Queen stands in the middle of the room, looking nervous. Her dark hair is pulled back into a tight bun and she is dressed in a light silk fabric with pink flowers embroidered on the hem and sleeves. As we approach her, she does not seem like the confident leader that I had seen at the party previously. She is anxious and fatigued-looking. It could be because her plan is falling apart. The Fjerdan King is dead and her granddaughter leaked her country's information of their conspiracy. She no longer has the upper hand. But there is still something wrong...

        "Queen Leyti," Aleksander addresses. "I did not expect to see you of all people here. I noticed that you disappeared from my wife's ball fairly quickly. It is strange." He gives a dry chuckle. "You left nearly the same time that my wife was kidnapped. And now you are here... but let's save the fraudulence. Princess Makhi has already informed me of your plans to aid Fjerda in targeting our Second Army with jerda parem."

        "We are not the enemy."

        "Yet you share the idea that Grisha should be cut open and studied."

        "Yes, I do believe that they should not be in a place of power nor should they be soldiers of a country," she huffs. "but that is not why I took the deal with King Grimjer. Sure I would gain a piece of useless Ravkan land from it, but I was forced to help Fjerda. This is much bigger than you and I."

        "Bigger than the only surviving leaders of the East?" I question.

        "Yes, Sun Summoner. You are interfering with a situation that you do not know the half of. I am here in hopes that we can stop this before Fjerda erases the borders and claims all of it as their own."

        I stare at her in shock, but Aleksander's eyes narrow in skepticism. "Then tell us the full story, Queen Leyti. What makes this bigger than the reigning monarchy?"

        She sighs shakily and begins her explanation. "A couple of months ago, before your wedding, I was approached by a group of Fjerdan extremists. The Störningar<The Disruptions>. They share their late king's beliefs that Grisha should be executed, but they also want Fjerda to be a world power. The only world power. They thought that their king was not doing enough to ensure Fjerda's power."

        "The Störningar," Aleksander restates. "I am aware of who they are. They have always been suppressed and quieted by the Fjerdan government from doing any real harm."

        "Until now," Leyti warns in a low voice. "They threatened my family. I was to help King Grimjer's plan if I wanted my children and grandchildren to live. Grimjer had his own strategy to kill the Ravkan royalty because you are Grisha, but the extremist group believed that the King would smudge the opportunity given to him. They want Fjerda to be unchallenged at being the most powerful country and Grimjer was only focused on ridding the land of Grisha. The Störningar wanted their king dead," she accentuates in her Shu accent. "He was only a roadblock to their rule and their plan of remaking the maps. Grimjer dug his own grave which gave the Störningar an opening. They have most likely already taken over the Fjerdan government. Without their king, a country can only retain anarchy for so long."

        My head is spinning. Everything is starting to make more sense. Grimjer played out his own plan, but there is always someone more evil and dangerous than the one before. Grimjer was only a temporary threat. Now a group even more deranged has taken over and wants to wreak havoc on all of their enemies. Where Grimjer only wanted the destruction of Grisha, the Störningar want world domination. I am beginning to see why the Darkling cannot see peace as an option. There is always one added threat once another is vanquished...

        "So why tell us? Are you proposing peace between Shu Han and Ravka?" I ask.

        "More of a temporary alliance. I will give the order for Grisha to not be interfered with in Shu Han and a mutual military access agreement. In return, Ravka will do everything in its power to stop the Störningar from succeeding, seeing that you border Fjerda. I like the way maps are drawn now, I do not wish for it to display Fjerda from north to south. Do we have a deal?"

        "What of your family?" Aleksander questions. "When it is known that you have betrayed the extremist group, they will send their men to kill them and you."

        "Which is why I trust that you will end the group and this war quickly before they can find out, using everything at your disposal. And I mean everything."

        Aleksander and I both know what she means. She wants us to use not only Shu Han and Ravka's armies, but she wants us to use the amplifiers. She wants us to use Merzost.

        Aleksander has been very quiet for the past few minutes. I can tell he is thinking and planning strategies in his experienced mind. After another long silence, he says, "we have a deal."

        She nods and her worried brow relaxes a bit. "Then I will see to it that I keep my end of the bargain. Your Grisha are now safe on our side of the border until the Störningar are eradicated. Good Day," she nods stiffly and takes her leave. I have almost forgotten that Nikolai is with us. He finally breaks the silence and says, "I do not like this. She is not to be trusted."

        The Darkling nods in agreement and says, "yes, she has lied on multiple occasions, but there is no doubt that she was telling the truth now. It did not make sense before as to why she would aid Fjerda. The deal did not benefit her enough to risk her country. I am guessing that her family had no idea that they were being threatened. Only Queen Leyti knew the truth. I would say that she was unwise to save her loved ones at the risk of her country but I have learned that I am no different." he looks at me for a second before glancing down and shaking his head. "We played right into their hands. We did their dirty work by killing the king. The only thing they did not count on is our knowledge of their plans. But now we know what is coming and I have a feeling that they will not be as easily defeated as Grimjer, but I have an idea as to how to stop them."

        "How?" I ask.

        "With our amplifiers, we cannot create, but we can summon with the same amount of power as Merzost, the only thing as powerful as a matter of fact. You proved it when you destroyed the Fold. With both of our powers combined, I believe we can summon an army. They will not be as strong as nichevo'ya, but where Merzost takes, summoning works to serve us. It will not take a toll on our health, therefore, we can summon as many soldiers as we need."

        "An army of light and shadow," I gasp.

        "Precisely."

        "Then you'd better start summoning," Nikolai says. "While you do that, I can address the armies, prepare them for war, and strategize." The Darkling looks at him unpleased. "You cannot be everywhere at once," he reminds.

        I take the Darkling's hand in my own and plead with him. "He is right. Nikolai can take care of the armies while we use the amplifiers. You know he is more than capable. Just let go of some of your control. Please," I add.

        He runs his long fingers through his shadowy locks and gives an exhausted sigh. "Fine."

        Nikolai bows and scurries off to the war room I presume. I depart with the Darkling to an outdoor training area where we begin to experiment with an army of our own.

        My anger keeps building up inside me until we reach the front gates and I let out a growl in frustration. The Darkling arches a brow. "What is the matter?"

        "What isn't the matter!" I cry. "There is always one threat after another. I feel like I am in a whirlpool and as soon as I can catch a breath, I am pulled right back down under. When will it stop?"

        For once, Aleksander has no words, no remark. He just looks at me and then ahead at the courtyard. I sigh and try to keep my thoughts on the task at hand. After another minute of walking, I hear the Darkling and Nikolai's voices ring through my head. 'Sometimes war is necessary.' I have tried to believe that this world can be at peace, but I have learned in the past few days that there will always be conflict. Fold or no Fold, enemies or no enemies. This world is cruel and if war really is unavoidable, then I will embrace it to protect our own. We will win.
_______________

Wow, one more chapter left, guys! I cannot believe that it has been almost 5 months since I started writing. This book got so much more readers and compliments than I could have dreamed of. Thank you so much!! <3

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

22.6K 758 29
Let's just say Alexander won't be the Starless One anymore... Set shortly before the events of Shadow and Bone, adding a new powerful eternal Grisha...
12.6K 322 10
After killing the stag and forcing the amplifier on Alina, the Darkling decides that letting Alina and Mal go might be a better investment. After all...
36.3K 923 25
What if Alina and the darkling had gone further the night of the winter fate? What if they weren't interrupted till later? Alina is pregnant when she...
68.4K 2.4K 30
You're used to it all, the shadows, the bloodshed, the screams, you're always by his side after all. They call him The Darkling, but that's not who h...