Reborn (Sequel to Wilting Ros...

By Ortiz-Novels

I've had dreams of a garden. Dreams where I find myself weeping near a fountains edge. Where a pair of blue o... More

Copyright © 2015 by Mara L. Ortiz
Dreams
Sudden
Medic
Research
Haunting Dreams
Bargin
Wreck
Peace
Lesson on History
Chocolate Covered Strawberries
Dreams VS Reality
Wrong Impression
Looking to Buy
Step One
Step Two
Step Three
Step Four
Step Five
Preparations
Decisions
A Stroll Through History
Heart Manor
Sweet Surrender
A Tale of a Lifetime
Terminal Greet
A New Life

Memory Lane

9.3K 491 32
By Ortiz-Novels

Chapter Twenty

~Dathan~

The door easily opened and with it the gush of air to invade the miraculous foyer before me. It was dark of course, and it was difficult to see inside as I took one step in. I felt my throat shut when I looked to the wide stair way before me. My eyes watered as I walked in further acknowledging just how exquisite this place was. The furniture inside the foyer was covered by white sheets that had gray dust settling over it. Reaching for my phone I clicked on the flash light and with it I began to look about.

The foyer was immensely large and spherical. Before me the large wide and wooden stairs still looked sturdy as a red carpet descended all the way down to the last step. I wasn't certain if the walls were white or cream. It was a bit difficult to make out with just a small cell phone light.

"Beautiful." I muttered. Walking towards a large white sheet, I removed it to reveal and long blue settee designed only to have one arm rest. Using the sheet I made my way over to the windows and began to wipe away the dust settled there. The dirt began to come off and rays of sunlight spilled in. I reached for the small knobs and realized they were utilized as small locks. Turning them in the opposite direction of one another allowed me to unlock them.

Gently and carefully I opened the first window and then the rest. Soon sun light was spilling in from every window. I was partly grateful that there wasn't a single tree to block the rays of light from spilling in. It gave the manor so much more beauty and radiance.

I turned to look at how much more alive the manor looked with the light coming in. Then a terrible sadness over came as I stood in the center. Before I could stop myself I felt a tear slip from my eye. I hadn't the least of clues as to why I was feeling so emotional. My heart thundered against my chest. I reached to touch it and slowly reached for the railing of the stairs.

I painful groan escaped me as I felt my knees grow weak. Unable to stand I fell into a sitting position on the stairs. Holding my head I felt a wave of nausea hit me. Something was pushing itself to the front of my mind. My stomach turned and I was suddenly vomiting, the sensation spiraled a terrible burning in my throat. I fought to gather myself, refusing to let it hit me so abruptly. I wanted to discover and uncover every inch of this Mansion, but I'd be unable to do that if I allowed every little glance or movement get the best of me.

I fought to hold the bile down and took deep breaths, smelling the dust in the air. I concentrated on the hot sun against my skin. I couldn't be found this way when the inspector came by. I needed to calm myself.

~Aria~

Nerves were rattling every inch of me as I looked to Jim walking in my direction. Every part of this facility smelled terrible but I knew I had to hold it together for his sake. There was a smile on his face as he removed his gloves and goggles.

Taking a deep breath I regretted it the instant I did. The smell was strong, so strong that it was beginning to burn my nose a bit. Nevertheless, I was determined to talk to Jim and finally put to rest the tension between he and I.

"Could we talk?" I found myself asking him.

Jim looked behind him and then held up his pointer finger for me to hold on. Running back I could see him talking to his boss and then patting him on the shoulder. Once he returned I encouraged him to follow me to my car, were the smell wasn't so bad.

When we reached the parking lot Jim took a seat on the hood of my car and patted the spot next to him. I simply smiled and reached into my purse. With a strong sigh I handed Jim the paper in my hands. Without a word he reached for it, his brows scrunching together in curiosity.

"What is it?" He asked.

"You have to look at it." I said with a smile.

Jim opened the small paper and he froze, his eyes grew wide as he looked up at me.

"Where did you get this?" He asked.

Taking a deep breath I was honest with Jim, just like I had promised myself I would be. He simply listened as I spoke and explained everything. When I was finished he slid off the car and was quiet for a moment.

"Aria, I can't take this check." He said.

"Why not?" I asked, a bit disappointed.

"Look, what I felt for you was genuinely truthful, no amount of money is going to change that." He explained.

"You don't understand, Jim. I'm not giving you this money in exchange that you forget about me. I'm giving it to you because you deserve it. And you deserve to get out of this job. You are stuck working here because of me. You only sought to get whatever job that wasn't owned by the Hearts just so that you could ask me out. I deeply, deeply, admire that. And then I went and broke off the relationship before it could even start. I am not going to leave you hanging. You have always been there for me and now it's my turn. Please, take the check, start your dream business and please don't say you owe me one. This pretty much covers every favor you have ever done for me." I said.

Jim looked down to the check for two hundred thousand dollars and then back at me. He smiled as he sighed and walked closer to me.

"Aria, I don't know what to say. I wasn't expecting this, I really thought that I'd never see you again. I honestly was heartbroken to hear that you didn't feel for me like I felt for you, but you did right in telling me the truth, you didn't allow me to walk into a relationship where it would have only been me devoting myself. Thank you, for being such a good friend. I will forever be in your debt." He replied.

"You don't owe me anything." I said, a smile etched on my face.

"You're right, I'm eager to get out of this job. I think it's burned off all of my nose hair." He chuckled.

I laughed with him, feeling that I hadn't entirely lost my friend. Taking Jim into a tight hug he held me close and placed a hard kiss unto my temple.

"Just now that if that lunatic breaks your heart I will stomp on him until only dust remains." He threatened.

I laughed at his words and shook my head. Pulling away I smiled at Jim, happy that we were back to being friends.

"I'm not in a relationship with him. I've decided to go away for a while. I need to clear my head, so many things have been going on and I think I've earner a vacation from Harland. But I have one last thing to ask you." I replied

"Anything." Jim said.

"Come to the Heart's celebration with me this Sunday. I know, it's a lot to ask, granting that you and Mr. Heart got into a fight, but if you are going to start over, then settle your differences with one another. He might turn out to be a great asset for you on the long run. You never know, Jim. Better safe than sorry." I bribed.

"You are asking the impossible of me woman." He teased.

"Please, it would mean a lot to me. I want to go on vacation knowing you are not planning on killing him when I leave." I joked.

"Well, I had thought about it but I love my life and freedom far more." He replied with a chuckle.

"Then it's a date?" I asked.

He smiled and nodded taking me in for another hug. I returned the gesture and finally broke away to say goodbye to Jim.

~Dathan~

After a few minutes I managed to stand and get rid of the terrible vomit sprawled on the floor with one of the white sheets. I stood and looked about, ready to begin my search through the large dwelling.

Taking the stairs one at a time I could remember descending and ascending these steps numerous times in my past. I felt a smile tug at my lips. The boots I wore caused the soles of my feet to ache. I hated wearing the awful things. My fingers gripped the railing, and another memory surface. There I stood, at the bottom of the stairs, waiting for her to descend. I could recall a sneer on my face.

I swallowed and tried to recall why. Closing my eyes my mind projected just how repulsed I was by the mere presence of her. She dressed in yellow dress. Her hair was pinned in curls. Her eyes shied away as she reached the bottom step, the blush on her cheeks clearly implied how shy she was.

"I do not recall giving you permission to send out letters? We agreed that you'd have no contact with your family until this terrible marriage was over." I argued.

"Please, reconsider such a rule. I am desperate to know how my family fares. I cannot take the solitude." She pleaded.

"I do not care for your solitude. It is the least of my worries. No more letters, and as punishment I will make certain to burn letters addressed to you that arrive at my mansion. Is that understood?" I asked.

Her cheeks blushed ever brighter and she nodded with a timid look upon her face. I felt my throat shut. I grew angry every time I laid eyes upon her.

Walking farther up I reached the top of the stairs and again I was overwhelmed with so many memories of the past. Different pictures projected in my mind as I took each step with caution. Turning to the right I saw a dark and large hall lead to a few doors. My heart skipped a beat, something pulled me towards it. I followed my instincts and reached the end of the hall.

"Are you mad?" I shouted.

I was slipping, slowly and painfully falling to the floor. My legs refused to function and when last my knees touched the hard wood floor I winced. Anger overcame me as I looked up to find her with an amused smile upon her face. She would pay for finding it amusing that I was falling to the floor like a fool. No one made a fool of me and lived to tell about it!

"Might I remind you that if you are going to be rude, I will leave you to mourn the loss of your legs?" She stated, watching as I slid to the floor further.

"This is preposterous...help me!" I exclaimed.

She knelt on the floor, her eyes connected with mine. I fought to hold my composure, in truth I wanted to cry at how pathetic I looked.

I could recall what had happened next. She was smart as she was stunning. Scarlett had never once underestimated herself when it came time to challenge me. She had after all gotten me back on both feet. I stopped as the last thought hit me. I was beginning to believe that I was really my grandfather.

Was I losing my mind?

Reaching the end of the door I took out the keys once again and tried each one until finally one unlocked the door. I carefully pushed the door opened to reveal a large empty room. There wasn't a single speck in sight. Walking in I was glad that not all the windows in this room had been covered by dust. I hurried to open all six windows to let the air in.

"How many times must I tell you not to lead the old man on?" I snapped.

She coward away from me, her hands laid neatly tucked behind her while her head lowered in shame. Her dress was a beautiful blue, bringing forth the brown in her long wavy hair.

"He's been insisting that we share a dance; that we spend more time together, that we have tea at his estate. Rest assure that if you are behind these ridiculous request he's been pressuring me about I will find a way for you to pay. Why must you ruin my day? I specifically laid out rules for you on our wedding day. Or have you forgotten?" I pressured.

She shook her head and swallowed.

"Why then does he insist?" I asked.

I held my head as I forced the negative memories to push out of my head. But it was difficult to shut them out. I was overwhelmed with terrible memories of me being a beast with her. There was no denying that it was me. I couldn't see a different in myself then and now. I was still heartless and filled with vanity.

"And here I thought that marrying you was possibly the most ghastly deed I had ever committed!"

"I would rather lose the land than lay a tender touch upon you. I would stand to lose it all than to love you."

"Leave my sight at once!"

"Camille is my lover, the woman I am devoted to. I hold no shame for what you witnessed last night. But the next time I catch you presenting yourself unannounced I will barricade you to your chambers for an entire week."

I rushed out the room before anything else could force me to scream. The door slammed shut behind me and I felt as tears spilled from my eyes. How could she have forgiven me for such things? Placing a hand over my heart I felt the speed of it slow as I leaned against the wall. I was starting to get the big picture. It was all falling into place with each memory that surfaced.

In one of the last entries I had written so long ago I had clearly expressed the reason why I had sold this place. The pain washing over me as I tried to steady my shaking hands was more than enough. This place held nothing but heartache. As I began to explore each room, I came to find that there were terrible memories in each. I allowed it all to consume me as I walked in a haze.

There was nothing here to remind me why I was deserving of this woman's love. Out of all the rooms in the manor I had refused to enter my old private chamber. I knew what kind of memory's laid trapped in there, the last thing I wanted was to remember.

My eyes felt swollen from the many tears I had not been able to contain. This was the last place I wanted to bring Aria to. I refused to host the celebration here. She would only hate me if she ever dared stepped foot inside this home. I was glad I had bought it off of her just in time.

Walking down the large stairs something came to me just as a knock echoed in the front door. I could see the large white van parked outside. The building inspector had arrived.

"Not all is lost, remember this and it will give you peace. You will find hope in all the darkness." I muttered. In my hands was a carving knife, and I could see a large slip of wall paper dangle at my feet as I finally removed the piece of wall away, in my hand laid a journal and there was a smile on my lips. Setting it inside I quickly placed the lose piece of wall back and settled the wallpaper in its place.

I turned and looked up the steps. My heart was hammering as I reached the top in record time and faced the chamber door. My heart never stopped pounding with a thunderous beat. My hands shook as I searched for the key to the room. When I believed not one would do the last one finally gave away and I took a deep breath before pushing the door open.

I looked inside only to find it vacant. A broken window spilled light in, enough for me to see the room still laid in vintage condition. Stepping inside I held my breath as I walked over to the same wall. I reached for the wall paper and began to feel with my hands just where the indent could be. When I finally did manage to find it, I dug my fingers in and the old and aged wallpaper gave away. Removing the small squared wood away I reached inside for the leathered journal.

Holding it to me I took a deep breath and vowed to read it all. If this held hope then I'd be damned if I didn't open it to find it. Turning on one heel I hurried down the step determined to speak with the man waiting for me at the door steps. I still needed to know if this manor was worth saving. And if it was I was determined to build better memories with it.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

260 1 14
Loneliness, insecurities and loss. In a world where all these faded away, Lilac wondered if it was too good to be true. A man with blue eyes, the sce...
15 8 15
Waking up with no memories due to a temporary memory loss from an accident that claimed her parents life as she was told, her life took a completely...
135 1 16
Always alone, always silent. In need of some company. Someone in life that will be with him for the rest of his life. Someone who will be his inspira...
144 12 8
He was always on her mind, no matter how hard she wanted to focus . He was the whisper in the wind that rustled the trees outside her window, t...