Once in a Lifetime

By TheQuietHufflepuff

They've gone up against a psychotic alpha, a kanima, a dark druid and the Nogitsune. A bond, far stronger th... More

Aesthetic and Playlist
Violet Hope, Scarlet Doom
01
02
03
04
06
07
08
09
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
40
41
42
43
44
45
46
47
48
49
50
51
52
Epilogue

05

313 8 0
By TheQuietHufflepuff

The teens met at the sheriff's station to tell the sheriff and Robin what they'd found.

"It's a deadpool," Scott informed. "A hit list of supernatural creatures. This is only part of it. The rest still has to be decoded."

"Who found the list?" Sheriff and Robin wondered.

"Lydia," Tabitha replied.

"How?"

"She wrote it. Or, more correctly, transcribed it without knowing."

"Banshee?" Sheriff Stilinski questioned.

"Banshee," Stiles confirmed.

The sheriff sighed. "Beautiful. All right, what are these numbers next to the names?"

"We're getting to that. First, you need to know that the code was broken with a cipher key."

Robin frowned. "Wait. You mean, like a... Like a keyword?"

"Actually, a name," Tabitha answered.

"Allison," Scott confirmed.

Stiles licked his lips. "Her name broke a third of the list."

Tabitha let out a sigh. "Which means there are two more cipher keys. And they could be any name in town."

The sheriff gave a slow nod. "Which will give us the rest of the names. Okay. So how do we get the cipher keys?"

"Same way we got the code," Stiles replied.

Tabitha ran her hands through her hair as she said, "Lydia has been at the lake house all weekend. She's been trying to find the other two keys."

Sheriff Stilinski frowned and looked at the list. "You guys didn't know about Demarco or Carrie?" They shook their heads. "Hmm. And what about these other two names on the list. Uh, Kayleen Bettcher and Elias Town. They were werewolves too?"

Scott shook his head. "I don't know. But Deaton said that the Nemeton would draw supernatural creatures here."

"Here in Beacon Hills? Or Beacon County? The population of Beacon Hills is just under 30,000."

Robin nodded slowly. "But if we're talking Beacon County, then you're looking at close to 500,000. Look. How many werewolves, Banshees, kitsunes, witches, and whatever the hell else is out there are we talking about? And what if the next cipher key uncovers not 12 names, but 100?"

Stiles shook his head. "We don't think there would be that many. There's a limit."

"Because of the numbers," Scott clarified. "We think that once we decode the names, the numbers will add up to 117."

"117 what?" Sheriff questioned.

"Million," Tabitha replied.

"117 million dollars, Dad, Deputy," Stiles said. "Stolen from the Hale vault and is being used by someone to finance all these murders."

Tabitha sighed. "This might be worse that the Sokovia Accords."

Stiles glanced at her and sighed.

The sheriff attempted to understand the situation at hand. "So the coded list goes out. And somehow these professional assassins get that list."

"And a cipher key," Stiles added.

"And then they go after the names on the list. They being killers with no mouths, tomahawks, thermo-cut wires that can take your head off."

Stiles sighed and studied the list. "Let me see. Carrie was also stabbed. What's this mark?"

Sheriff Stilinski shook his head. "We're not sure yet. We're still waiting on the ME's report. There's one other thing I don't get. How did this new assassin know that Demarco was going to be at the lake house?"

"Everyone knows he delivers kegs to teenagers for a little extra cash," Scott said.

"Ah. So whoever ordered that keg killed Demarco."

"It had to be someone at the party," Tabitha stated.

"A student," Scott said.

---

At school, Tabitha made her way to the art room. She saw Lydia drawing something while Malia hovered over her. Tabitha stood in the back watching them go back and forth. "Please stop hovering," Lydia said.

Malia frowned. "I'm not hovering. I'm waiting. Draw something. Write something. We need to know who else is on that list."

Tabitha spoke up from the back. "You want to know if you're on that list."

Malia looked back at her. "If someone's coming to take my head off, then, yeah, I'd like to know."

She moved and stood behind Lydia. "Can you please just sit down? You're making me nervous."

"Sorry, Lydia," Malia muttered.

An idea suddenly came to Tabitha's mind and she stepped closer to Lydia. The strawberry blonde glared at her. "What? Oh, my God, what?"

Tabitha shot her a pointed look. "Maybe some help would do some good. Maybe from another Banshee?"

Lydia's eyes widened. "Meredith. Malia and I can do this."

"It was my idea!"

"Yes, thank you. But you should make sure your friend and boyfriend don't get into trouble."

"Fine." She darted off.

The redhead made her way to Economics and sat behind Stiles. Coach came out of his office and began class. "Economic disparity exists in all forms. Well, take sports, for example. Some teams have better training facilities. Some have better equipment. Unlike Beacon Hills that can barely afford the duct tape to keep our equipment together. You know, Stilinski, if I could grade you on how profoundly you disturb me, you'd be an A-plus student."

Tabitha leaned closer to Stiles to see that he had photos of a recent murder on his desk. She chuckled softly as Stiles said, "Thanks, Coach."

Coach narrowed his eyes. "Put those pictures away, Stilinski!" Stiles grabbed the lacrosse stick and pulled off the end. He looked between the pictures and the lacrosse stick numerous times. "The hell is wrong with you? Don't answer that."

Tabitha glanced between the boys. "Wait a minute. Could it be a lacrosse player?"

Kira, Scott, Stiles and Tabitha made their way to Coach's office in the locker room to search for a weapon of some sort. After they searched for awhile, Scott said, "The killer's on the team. This... This is pointless. Most of the team plays with their own gear."

Kira frowned. "Maybe instead of trying to find a lacrosse stick with a hidden dagger in it, we should be trying to get the game cancelled?"

"The game's the best way to catch him red-handed."

Stiles thought for a moment. "But what if he's red-handed cause his hands are covered in the blood of the person that he just stabbed to death? Which, by the way, could be either of you guys."

"Or Liam," Scott replied. "Well, we don't have the whole list and he could be on it."

Tabitha shrugged. "We don't who else is on this list and we don't know anything about it."

Kira nodded and added, "How it's made, how it's updated. I mean, who's been out taking a supernatural census anyway? How do they even know about me?"

Scott looked at her. "They know about everyone."

Stiles let out a sigh. "I think Kira and Tabi are right. I think we should stop the game."

Scott shook his head. "I'm not afraid."

"Neither am I," Kira agreed.

"Nor am I," Tabitha said.

Stiles frowned. "Well, I'm terrified. And I'm not even on the list. Guys, these are professional killers. It's their profession. One of them's got a thermo-cut wire that cuts heads off. Who knows what else they have?"

Tabitha squeezed Stiles' hand gently. "It'll be okay."

She left the locker room and walked to the front of the school to see a guy sizing Liam up in front of the buses.

"I just wanted to say... Have a good game," Liam told the guy.

The guy laughed sarcastically. "That's cute, Liam. Is that what they told you in Anger Management? Apologize and everything's fine? You demolished Coach's car."

"I paid for it."

"Yeah, you're gonna pay for it. We're gonna break you in half out there. And it's gonna be all your fault."

Tabitha stepped over to the boy and narrowed her eyes. "I'd back off. So he did something at your school. He's at our school now. And you're going to treat our players, and our school with respect."

Stiles pulled Tabitha behind him knowing she could continue going off and said, "Hey, what's going on prep students? Welcome to our little public high school. How you doing? That's a firm handshake you got there. Uh, we're very excited for scrimmage tonight. Uh, but let's keep it clean, all right? No rough stuff out there. All right, see you on the field. Go."

They took Liam to the locker room and Scott turned on the water while Tabitha stood back. After a little while, Stiles asked, "Okay, you calm yet?"

Liam roared and Scott turned up the water pressure. "Okay! Okay!" he cried.

Scott turned the water off and Tabitha leaned against the wall. Scott frowned at Liam. "That car you smashed. I thought you said it was your teacher's."

"He was also my coach," Liam admitted dejectedly. "He benched me for the entire season."

"What did you do?" Tabitha asked.

"I got a couple of red cards."

Stiles let out a scoff. "Just a couple?"

Scott frowned at Stiles and turned back to Liam. "You gotta be honest with us. What else happened?"

Liam shook his head. "Nothing. I got kicked out of school. They sent me to a psychologist for evaluation."

"What did they call it?" Scott wondered.

Liam focused back on him. "Intermittent Explosive Disorder."

Stiles' eyes widened and sarcasm overtook his voice. "I.E.D.? You're literally an I.E.D.? That's great. That's great. You gave superpowers to a walking time bomb."

Scott turned to Stiles and frowned. "Did they give you anything for it?"

Liam nodded. "Risperdal. It's an antipsychotic."

"Oh, this just gets better," Stiles muttered.

"Stiles-" Tabitha called.

"But I don't take it," Liam told them.

"Obviously," Stiles said with a clap of his hands.

Tabitha took his hands. "That's enough, Stiles."

Liam frowned. "I can't play lacrosse on it. It makes me too tired."

Scott sighed. "Okay. I think you should bail out of the game. Tell Coach your leg is still hurting."

Liam shook his head. "No, no! I can't do this." He turned back to Scott. "Especially if you're there."

"But, Liam, it's not just about the game. We think whoever killed Demarco might be on our team."

"Who's Demarco?" Liam wondered.

Tabitha looked up at him. "He brought the beer to the party."

Stiles nodded. "The guy who was beheaded. Remember?"

Scott looked between them. "We think the person who ordered the keg killed Demarco." He noticed a strange look from his beta. "Liam? What, you know something?"

Liam looked up at them. "I don't know who ordered the keg. But I know who paid for it."

Just as the scrimmage started, Tabitha sat on the bench. She caught Scott's eye and shot him a thumbs up. She gave Stiles a thumbs up as well, then blew him a kiss.

Coach looked at her and sighed. "I'm not even going to argue. Just don't distract my players, Young. Not even your boyfriend."

Devenford scored almost immediately and Liam began going after the Devenford players because they were going after him, and he had to be retrained. Scott sat by Liam on the bench.

Tabitha bounced her leg, nervous as to what was going to happen. She saw Stiles doing something weird and frowned. Then, she saw Kira running the ball. Unfortunately, it wasn't what Coach wanted.

He punished Kira. "Yukimura! Get over here. Take a seat. You're benched for the rest of the game."

Kira turned to him and Tabitha guessed she was protesting her punishment.

Tabitha's phone vibrated with a message from Lydia and frowned. She had found another part of the deadpool.

The redhead stood, needing to use the bathroom, and started walking towards them. She heard noises coming from the locker room and went to investigate.

She saw a garrote around Scott's neck and caught Brett's eye. He gave her a nod telling her he was okay.

Scott pulled the garrote from his neck and his eyes glowed red.

Tabitha grew angry and rushed into the room as she raised a hand.

The girl looked at her and smirked. "The witch. Sweetheart, it was a mistake to come alone."

Tabitha's gaze darkened. "Don't test me. It's a mistake when you mess with my friends."

The girl tightened the garrote around Tabitha's neck and she focused on heating up the rope. The girl dropped the garrote abruptly and looked at her hands.

Tabitha rushed the girl and pinned her to the ground, holding her hand to her throat as her eyes glowed red and purple. "Next time I end you. You don't touch my family or friends."

Scott made his way over to her and said, "Okay, Tabitha. That's enough."

Tabitha glanced up at him. "Right. Scott, something's seriously wrong with me. I gotta go."

She ran to find her mother and said, "I need your help."

Robin pulled her daughter into the empty sheriff's office and closed the door. "What's wrong?"

"My power. Every time I do something- Mom, I'm losing control. The line between good and evil is fading and I don't know what to do."

Robin nodded slowly. "Okay." She sighed and ran a hand down her face. "I was afraid of this happening."

"What? Mom, what are you talking about?"

"There's an ancient prophecy about you."

"Like the Scarlet Witch?"

"Sort of."

"I need to know what it is."

"I don't remember the words right now, but it has something to do with your soul."

"My soul? What about it?"

"If you go down the darkest of paths, you could lose yourself forever."

Tabitha wavered and managed to sit in a chair before falling over as she whispered, "Oh my God. Mom, what are we gonna do?"

Robin sat on the desk and took her hands. "We're going to save you."

"You and Dad haven't used magic in years."

"I'm sure it's just like riding a bike. Honey, we'll sort this out, okay?"

"But what if this happens again? What if I can't be saved next time?"

"Darling, worry about the now. Not what may or may not come. Now, we work on saving you. So maybe we'll have to do it again in the future. Then we will. But we aren't there yet."

Tabitha nodded and hugged her mother. "Thank you."

"Of course. I'm proud of you for telling me."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

18.1K 788 17
After Scott's pack defeated Void Stiles, they thought they had gotten rid of him for good. But when Stiles finds himself fighting a battle he can't w...
53.6K 1.3K 28
"ษช แด…แดษดแด› แดกแด€ษดแด› แด›แด ส™แด‡ ส€แด€แด›ษชแดษดแด€สŸ, ษช แดกแด€ษดแด› แด›แด ๊œฑแด€แด แด‡ ๊œฑแด›ษชสŸแด‡๊œฑ!" in which stiles stilinski gets possessed by an evil spirit, spreading chaos throughout beacon hi...
130K 2.6K 83
๐š–๐š˜๐š˜๐š—๐šœ๐š๐š›๐šž๐šŒ๐š” ๐šŠ๐š๐š“. ๐šž๐š—๐šŠ๐š‹๐š•๐šŽ ๐š๐š˜ ๐š๐š‘๐š’๐š—๐š” ๐š˜๐š› ๐šŠ๐šŒ๐š ๐š—๐š˜๐š›๐š–๐šŠ๐š•๐š•๐šข, ๐šŽ๐šœ๐š™๐šŽ๐šŒ๐š’๐šŠ๐š•๐š•๐šข ๐šŠ๐šœ ๐šŠ ๐š›๐šŽ๐šœ๐šž๐š•๐š ๐š˜๐š ๐š‹๐šŽ๐š’๐š—๐š ๐š’...
3.8K 93 9
Stiles is thrown out of the FBI program, Stiles is furious with knowing it's because of Scott. Stiles needs/wants to show Scott how he feels, but kno...