His Favored Empress

By ladydragyn

Shaugn is a history professor with an adventurous spirit. One day he wakes up and finds himself in a world s... More

Nag, Nag, Nag
Fresh Air
Splitting Headache
Identity
Dujshua
His Emperor
Fateful Encounter
Courtship and Questions
Eye Opening Chat
A Negotiation
Dagaslan
Not Your Ordinary Priest
Entanglement
The 6th Prince
Terrible Tea
Prince Etan
Making Waves
Fight For the Right to Fight
Uninvited Guest
His Bottom Line
Size Doesn't Matter
Preparations
Currying Favor
Mother Empress
Start From Small
Picky Eaters
Public Discipline
Discussion and Departure
Shifob
Clapping Back
Gloves Off
Man to Men
Night Vision
Court Full of Jesters
Toshi
The Slums
The Military Camp
Camp On Notice
Memorials Arrive
Setting the Stage
Diminished Ministers
A Wager
Humbled Noble
Secret Meetings
Recruitment
Drowning Rats
Rumors
Late Night Rendezvous
Reforms

Out of Sight

2.5K 200 9
By ladydragyn

Xoan's entourage rode at a brisk pace with plans to camp in the wilderness along the way. He wanted to get there sooner rather than later and get back home to his empress. Without faster means, the entire visit would take almost a month. The last time he was gone for so long he returned to a broken, empty empress. It was then he learned how truly treacherous the consorts were. Only he had no evidence so he could do nothing about it. Though this trip was necessary, he was filled with endless anxiety. A lot could happen in a month.

The ride had been bumpy and dusty which was nothing to the battle-hardened soldiers. The only thing that made it barely tolerable was the boxed meals prepared for the soldiers under the direction of the empress. At lunch, the soldiers and guards sang the empress' praises. After lunch, the journey seemed faster and less tedious. As the night took over from the day, their torches lit the road for miles around like a magnificent flame dragon winding through the country.

Inside the carriage, Xoan stripped off his crown and robes and handed them to Xaveh. Under his robes, he wore black trousers tucked into his boots and a shinobi-style jacket tied with a belt at the waist. He pulled his waist-length hair into a low ponytail then pulled a black head covering over his head leaving his eyes exposed. Xaveh neatly folded his clothes and placed them in a chest under his seat cushion.

"Do you think they'll try so soon, your majesty?" he asked, handing over a long sword hidden in the top of the carriage.

Stuffing a dagger into his boot, Xoan sat up and adjusted his sleeves concealing throwing knives and a wire. "They'll be foolish not to. No time like now. We're on a fairly narrow road in the open." He took the sword and looked at Xaveh a moment. "Make sure you keep on the route. If you find your way blocked –"

"We shall fight through and rush ahead, your majesty."

Xoan nodded. "Good."

"I hope the empress has an easier time than us during this time."

"Doubtful. Those that are impatient will see this as their opportunity to cause problems for the empress."

"Should we send someone back?"

Did they need someone to rush back? Xoan rubbed his chin quietly while looking at the small warming stove in the corner. Images of his beloved empress flashed in his mind. Had it been before he definitely would have sent someone back. Now, the empress was standing firm and capable of handling things thrown his way. "Do you think the empress is the same as he was before his accident?"

Xaveh's brows furrowed in thought. "Now that you mention it, he does seem...changed."

"I thought the same." Xoan absently tapped his finger on his knee.  Flames danced in his eyes as he stared at the warming stove. His voice was low and far away as he lost himself in thought. "Almost like a different person."

"Your majesty?"

He'd thought about it many times since the empress woke up. It felt like the empress was different inside. He had some wild guesses but how could he explain something like soul swapping or rebirth without sounding like a lunatic? He shook his head and sighed. "Nothing. Just overthinking things."

"I thin-"

There was loud neighing and gruff voices outside. The riders and carriages came to a rough stop. Xaveh put out the light and pulled another sword out from under the cushion he was sitting on. Xoan lifted the curtain and peered into the forest.

There was scarcely any moonlight so the soldiers had been carrying lit torches to illuminate the road. The soldiers gripped their swords and faced the forest with their backs toward the carriages in a protective formation.

The general's raspy voice was heard outside. "Who is it? Show yourselves."

Laughter sounded in the still night. The soldiers in the front of the caravan looked on as a group of men dressed in ragged clothing emerged from the forest in front of them. They were holding swords, axes, and lances. The leader of these men was a burly man with loose, wavy hair. A scar ran across one cheek and slid to an ear as if he'd turned his head during a knife strike. He sat on a poor excuse for a horse and gave a yellowed smile as his dark eyes shone in the light.

"A little late to be on the road, no?"

The general glanced at the bandits with cold eyes. It was an insult to be challenged by this rag-tag flock of wannabes. "It's our business."

The bandit leader smiled. "Oh? And where might you be headed?"

"That is also our business."

The bandit chuckled. There was movement on the sides of the road as more bandits surrounded the caravan. "Mayhaps, but ya see, you're on our road and need to pay a road tax to pass."

In the carriage, Xaveh wrinkled his nose in disgust. "Bandits? Really? How annoying."

Xoan chuckled softly to himself. Someone was in for a rough night. "How many men do you think they brought?"

Xaveh looked up and down the formation outside. "A hundred or so but less than two."

"Is that all?" Xoan sucked his teeth. Did they really think this measley number was enough to deal with his war-hardened army? His men wouldn't even break a sweat. "I give the fight less than five minutes."

"So long?" Xaveh smiled and pulled out a gold coin. "I give it a minute."

Xoan chuckled and pulled a coin out of his coin purse. "Deal."

The conversation outside went back and forth a few times before the general lost his patience and drew his sword. As if given a silent command, the troops engaged the bandits. The sound of metal on metal rang in the air. Screams of anguish followed along with messy footsteps. There was a call to attack and the sound of men rushing with a loud roar. The guards surrounding the carriages didn't move as the guards on the outer edges met the attacking bandits head-on. The screams of pain and clanging of metal were endless and the smell of blood filled the air. In less than a minute, the night returned to calm.

Xaveh smirked. "Told you."

Xoan shook his head and flicked a golden coin at him. "For the missus."

Thinking of his wife who was in charge of the clothing for the empress, Xaveh smiled with pride. "Thank you, your majesty."

Seeing a flash in the trees, Xoan held his hand up to silence his attendant. He slid a small painting to the side and peered out of the peephole. A shadow moved in the forest. "Seems we have more toll collectors."

"They're more impatient than we thought."

"Mmm." Xoan squatted on the floor and moved the small rug revealing a trapdoor. Gently pulling on the iron ring, Xoan opened the trapdoor and examined the space underneath the carriage. Before slipping into the hole, he looked back at his trusted confidant.

No words were needed. Xaveh put his hand over his heart and nodded. "We will do as you commanded and meet you in three days."

With a nod, Xoan slipped into the hole and disappeared. Xaveh stuck his head out of the window and instructed the general to continue. No one noticed the emperor melting into the forest with the members of his dark guard. He scaled the nearest tree as agile as a panther and leaped from tree to tree with dizzying speed as if he was gliding through the night.

From the corners of his eyes, he could see several shadows jumping from tree to tree to keep up with him. He snorted and pulled several thin needles out of his sleeve without slowing his speed. These were no bandits. These were highly trained assassins. Someone went through a lot of time and effort to hire this team. It didn't matter. No one was as good as his dark guard.

Try to ambush him? Not today. The needles flew out with a swish and the sound of something heavy crashing to the ground sounded. There was another swish sound and a silvery light streaked past Xoan's eyes. He let out a smile.

"Engage!"

He drew his sword from the scabbard and turned to face the assassins head-on. Metal sliced through the air and with a clang his sword met the enemy blocking their attack. Xoan didn't give the enemy any time and with his other hand, he drew his dagger and buried it in the enemy's side. The man let out a cry of pain before a sword swung down and severed his head from his neck.

Xoan took the man's hood off and found a shaved head. He ripped open the front of the man's shirt and found a circle with a line drawn through it tattooed on the man's chest. This was the mark of a well-known, expensive assassin guild. Who hired them? 

He stood and looked around with cold eyes. "Leave me one for questioning!"

The dark guard responded. "Yes!"

With the sound of fighting in his ears, Xoan looked up at the sky lost in thought.

--------

In the palace, Shaugn stopped walking and stared out the window. His heart trembled as images of fighting filled his mind. He put a hand over his stomach and stared in a daze.

Akechi waved her hand in front of his face and didn't get a response. She looked at Kazim in distress. Kazim laid a light hand on Shaugn's shoulder and called his name.

"Your majesty?"

Shaugn's eyes flicked over without seeing him. Kazim felt the hairs on his arm stand up.

"Your majesty. Are you alright?"

The smell of blood mixed with the scent of pine and cool dampness. Shaugn's eyes followed the sound of swords clashing and painful screams. He saw a clearing with men in black engaged in battle. Blood splashed on the trees and soaked into the ground.

Green eyes filled with murderous light met his.

A force slammed into him and Shaugn took a deep breath. He didn't even realize he'd been staring off into space not breathing. He blinked and looked at the nervous faces before him.

"Your majesty?"

Was that a vision? He pursed his lips. Although he expected Xoan's trip to be bumpy, he didn't expect Xoan to be assassinated on his way. He hadn't even been gone a full day yet.

"Should I call the doctor?" Akechi asked.

"No." Shaugn's eyes were dark and cold. He needed to start dismantling the harem and the powers that be sooner. He turned and headed back to his room. "I'm fine."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

188K 3.4K 57
one shots of my fav BLs Requests are open, so if you have any ideas please leave a request in the request book on my profile and I will try them
1K 1 40
When class 1-A get's a new classmate (after Minoru caused too many girls to complain about him) the class discovers that Jasmine is suffering. Keepin...
1.3M 56.2K 34
The protagonist is a homosexual guy who is handsome, thick(muscular), and tall. But all of his relationship failed because of one reason.....they th...
2.1K 251 32
Dive into the story...... I do not own the characters. It is only a fiction not related to anything or anyone in real life. Enjoy t...