The dualbender (atla) book 1

By Sachubxnny

[completed] [currently under editing] Mizuki is a girl who lost her parents to the Fire Nation when she was t... More

Prologue - hide and seek
Chapter 1 - the boy with a scar
Chapter 2 - fire
Chapter 3 - a cold night
Chapter 4 - traveling
Chapter 5 - Air Temple sanctuary
Chapter 6 - cold
Chapter 7 - the boy in the iceberg
Chapter 8 - fate
Chapter 9 - Penguins
Chapter 10 - is this goodbye?
Chapter 11 - captured
Chapter 12 - reunited
Chapter 13 - prickle snake
Chapter 14 - Southern Air Temple
Chapter 15 - they're still alive
Chapter 16 - flying lemur
Chapter 17 - Momo
Chapter 18 - koi fish
Chapter 19 - ambushed
Chapter 20 - Suki
Chapter 21 - Unagi
Chapter 22 - rhino's
Chapter 23 - my cabbages!
Chapter 24 - superslide?
Chapter 25 - arrested
Chapter 26 - challenges and riddles
Chapter 27 - Bumi
Chapter 28 - Haru
Chapter 29 - elephant ears
Chapter 30 - buffalo or bison?
Chapter 31 - coal
Chapter 32 - acorns
Chapter 33 - Hei Bai
Chapter 34 - spirit world
Chapter 35 - panda
Chapter 36 - a blockade
Chapter 38 - fake firebending
Chapter 39 - a comet
Chapter 40 - mud and bugs!
Chapter 41 - waterbending scroll
Chapter 42 - pirates!
Chapter 43 - lotus tile
Chapter 44 - Jet
Chapter 45 - thug?
Chapter 46 - knife
Chapter 47 - the dam
Chapter 48 - instincts
Chapter 49 - canyon
Chapter 50 - canyon crawlers
Chapter 51 - Wei Jin and Jin Wei
A/N
Chapter 52 - hired?
Chapter 53 - a rainy day
Chapter 54 - past
Chapter 55 - eye of the storm
Q&A
Chapter 56 - herbalist
Chapter 57 - Yuyan archers
Chapter 58 - the blue spirit
Chapter 59 - "friends"
Chapter 60 - necklace
A/N
Chapter 61 - fortune teller
Chapter 62 - Aunt Wu
Chapter 63 - papaya?
Chapter 64 - panda lily
Chapter 65 - volcano
Chapter 66 - Bato
Chapter 67 - Shirshu
Chapter 68 - ice dodging
Chapter 69 - separated?
Chapter 70 - perfume
Chapter 71 - Fire Day's festival
Chapter 72 - firebending teacher?
Chapter 73 - Zhao
Chapter 74 - other airbenders?
Chapter 75 - Northern Air Temple
Chapter 76 - Teo
Chapter 77 - hot air balloon
Chapter 78 - relics
Chapter 79 - mountains
Chapter 80 - North Pole
Chapter 81 - princess
Chapter 82 - the healing hut
Chapter 83 - Yua
Chapter 84 - palace
Chapter 85 - a mission
Chapter 86 - a dozen Fire Navy ships
Chapter 87 - a self-absorbed weasel
Chapter 88 - oasis
Chapter 89 - blizzard
Chapter 90 - face stealer
Chapter 91 - trouble
Chapter 92 - the moon

Chapter 37 - Shyu

327 17 0
By Sachubxnny

- Third POV -

"We got into the Fire Nation. Great" Says Sokka meekly. Mizuki, Katara and Sokka grimace in terror.

"Where do you think the Avatar and dualbender are headed sir?" Asks the captain.

"I'm not sure" Answers Zhao, he turns aside, and gazes at Zuko's smoking ship.

"But I bet a certain banished prince will know" He finishes.

❀❀❀

Zuko's small vessel approaches the two ships in the blockade. These two ships sail opposite directions, in a moment they will close off Zuko's ship's path.

"We're on a collision course!" Exclaims Iroh.

"We can make it!" Says Zuko confidently.

"The boarding party is ready to apprehend prince Zuko, sir" Says the captain as he stands ahead of a squad of nine firebenders.

"Wait! Cut the engines and let them pass" Demands Zhao.

"Sir?" Says the captain confused. Each ship in the blockade halts, allowing Zuko's ship to glide by beneath their deck, untouched. Zhao stands high, sharing an interlocked gaze with the banished prince below. Zuko and Iroh look behind them in silence as they sail safely through. Iroh strokes his gray beard.

❀❀❀

Appa's flying through the blue skies. Sokka, Mizuki and Katara are sitting in the saddle, while Aang sits on Appa's head. The sky had changed to a darker, sunset-filled evening. Appa is visibly tired. Aang is sprawled over Appa's head with Momo equally sprawled over Aang's head. Sokka's laying on the back of the saddle next to Katara while Mizuki's resting her head on Katara's shoulder.

"There it is! The island where Roku's dragon took me" Beams Aang. Momo is jumping up and down out of excitement. Sokka, Mizuki and Katara pop up in the saddle. They look at the Crescent Island and it's smoking volcano as Appa descends. Appa's laying down at the base of a stone bridge leading up to the island's mountain. The bridge ends at an elegant, multi-story Fire Temple. Lava is flowing beneath the bridge and the air is thick with steam. Aang stands by Appa's head, Mizuki and Katara are standing next to Appa's right side. Sokka is stretching furter away.

"You did it buddy, nice flying" Compliments Aang as he rubs against Appa's head. Appa rolls to his side to wave his three legs into the air lazily.

"Aww" Says Katara in awe. Mizuki approaches Appa.

"You must be tired" She says while petting Appa.

"No! I'm good. Refreshed and ready to fight some firebenders!" Replies Sokka as he continues to work out and flex his muscles.

"I was talking to Appa" Answers Mizuki dryly.

"Well...I was talking to Momo!" Exclaims Sokka as he points to the lemur. Mizuki rolls her eyes at him and slighly chuckles.

❀❀❀

Katara, Mizuki, Sokka, Aang and Momo are walking along the stone bridge to approach a Fire Temple.

"I don't see any guards" Mentions Sokka.

"The Fire Nation must have abandoned the temple when Avatar Roku died" Guesses Katara.

"I don't think so, it would be strange if the Fire Nation would just abandon this temple. I mean, it belonged to an Avatar" States Mizuki.

"Maybe" Shrugs Sokka.

"It's almost sundown, we better hurry!" Exclaims Aang. The group leaps over the wall and charges for the front door. The teenagers tip-toe through an enormous chamber with fire-decor columns.

"Wait, I think I heard something" Whispers Sokka. Mizuki, Katara, Aang and Sokka turn around and see five men standing in the hallway dressed in red with tall hats.

"We are the Fire Sages. Guardians of the temple of the Avatar" Says one of the five men.

"Great! I am the Avatar!" Beams Aang.

"We know" Replies the man as he inhales briskly before punching a blast of fire towards Aang's direction. Aang deflects three balls of fire with his airbending.

"I'll hold them off. Run!" Shouts Aang as he leaps forward and spins his leg across the ground, sending a low air blade that sweeps the Fire Sages' legs out from beneath them. They all fall to the ground. Aang flees after his friends.

"If the Avatar contacts Roku, there's no telling how powerful the boy will become! Split up and find him" Shouts a Fire Sage.

"Follow me!" Exclaims Aang.

"Do you know where you're going?" Asks Sokka as he follows Aang along with Mizuki and Katara.

"Nope!" Answers Aang. He rounds a corner and disappears from sight, a moment passes, the others stop running when Aang skids into view again.

"Wrong way!" Shrieks Aang as he runs past them.

"Come back!" Shouts a Fire Sage. The teenagers turn another corner and charge down the hallway. However, they reach a dead-end as Aang skids to an immediate halt. Turning around, they face the Fire Sage, who raises a hand in peace.

"I don't want to fight you! I am a friend" Says the Fire Sage. Mizuki glares at the man.

"Firebenders aren't our friends!" Snaps Sokka. Aang steps ahead of his friends, assuming an airbending posture. The man steps forwards, before dropping to his knees and pressing his palms to the floor in submission. This startles the teenagers.

"I know why you're here, Avatar" Begins the man.

"You do?" Asks Aang surprised.

"Yes, you wish to speak to Avatar Roku. I can take you to him" Continues the Fire Sage.

"How?" Says Aang skeptically. The man slides back a lamplight on the wall. Placing his palm on the wall, he firebends into this location to open a secret passage.

"This way" Whispers the Fire Sage.

"Find him!" Echoes a voice in the distance.

"Time is running out! Quickly!" Pleads the man. Aang and Mizuki exchange a look with one another, asserting each other's belief to trust this firebender. The group enters the passage and descends the steps into the cave. The Fire sage enters behind them and closes the passageway.

❀❀❀

"What's he up to uncle? Why didn't commander Zhao arrest me?" Asks Zuko as he stares into the ocean.

"Because he wants to follow you. He knows you'll lead him to the prize you're both after; the Avatar and dualbender" Explains Iroh.

"If Zhao wants to follow a trail of smoke, then that's exactly what I'll let him do" Grunts Zuko angrily.

❀❀❀

"Avatar Roku once called this temple his home. He formed these secret passages out of the magma" States the Fire Sage, who's name is Shyu.

"Did you know Avatar Roku?" Asks Aang.

"No. But my grandfather knew him. Many generations of Fire Sages guarded this Fire Temple long before me. We all have a strong spiritual connection to this place" Replies Shyu.

"So that's why you knew we were coming" Says Mizuki as she glances at Shyu.

"A few weeks ago, an amazing thing occured. The statue of Avatar Roku; it's eyes began to glow!" Beams Shyu.

"That's when we were at the Air Temple. Avatar's Roku's eyes were glowing there too!" Exclaims Katara, Mizuki nods in agreement.

"At that moment, we knew you had returned to the world" Mentions Shyu.

"Who's 'we'?" Interrogates Mizuki.

"The Fire Sages" Answers Shyu calmly.

"Oh" Mumbles Mizuki.

"If it's the Avatar's temple, why did the sages attack me?" Asks Aang curiously. Shyu sighs before answering Aang's question.

"Thing's have changed. In the past, the sages were loyal only to the Avatar. When Roku died, the sages eagerly awaited for the next Avatar to return. But he never came" Explains Shyu.

"They were waiting for me" Says Aang in a sorrowful tone as he looks down.

"Hey, don't feel bad. You're only a hundred years late!" Mocks Sokka. Mizuki scowls heavily at Sokka.

"They lost hope the Avatar would ever return. When Fire Lord Sozin began the war, my grandfather and the other sages were forced to follow him. I never wanted to serve the Fire Lord. When I learned you were coming, I knew I would have to betray the other sages" Continues Shyu.

"Thankyou for helping me" Says Aang gratefully. Shyu smiles at him as he continues leading the group up a spiraling flight of stairs.

"We'll follow these stairs to the sanctuary. Once you're inside, wait for the light to hit Avatar's Roku's statue. Only then you will be able to speak with him" Says Shyu as he reaches the top of the stairs. Aang, Mizuki, Katara and Sokka enter the outer sanctuary. There are massive columns with dragon statues atop them lined up in the room. There's an immense door infront of them that has five small open-mouthed dragon statues on it.

"No!" Gasps Shyu while approaching the huge door.

"Shyu, what's wrong?" Asks Aang confused.

"The sanctuary doors, they're closed!" Exclaims Shyu.

To be continued

Word count: 1386

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4.4K 171 28
"You love him, don't you? I see the way you look at him. It's like he's your whole world. I can't possibly blame you for falling in love with someone...
374K 11.4K 63
A READER X IROH II FAN FIC I wrote this for myself but you can read it, too, if you'd like. Y/N is a water bender living in a Fire Nation village ge...
9.7K 423 61
You know the four elements. But... How exactly were they brought into existence? Found in the Water Tribe and sent to the Fire Nation, you'd run into...
86.1K 2.4K 23
Kya, Sokka's twin and Katara's older sister sets off on a journey through the Earth Kingdom with Zuko and Iroh in hopes of being able to spark a chan...