๐š๐ฅ๐ซ๐ž๐š๐๐ฒ ๐ ๐จ๐ง๐ž; euge...

By cheerylogan

๐€๐‹๐‘๐„๐€๐ƒ๐˜ ๐†๐Ž๐๐„ "Don't make this harder than it already is." For years, Valentina worked as a member... More

ALREADY GONE
PLAYLIST
CAST
PART TWO
PART THREE
PART FOUR
PART FIVE
PART SIX
PART SEVEN
PART EIGHT
PART NINE
PART TEN
PART ELEVEN
PART TWELVE
PART THIRTEEN
PART FOURTEEN
PART FIFTEEN
PART SIXTEEN
PART SEVENTEEN
PART EIGHTEEN
PART NINETEEN
PART TWENTY
PART TWENTY ONE
PART TWENTY TWO
PART TWENTY THREE
PART TWENTY FOUR
PART TWENTY FIVE
PART TWENTY SIX
PART TWENTY SEVEN
PART TWENTY EIGHT
PART TWENTY NINE
PART THIRTY
PART THIRTY ONE
AUTHOR'S NOTE
EPILOGUE

PART ONE

1.6K 27 9
By cheerylogan

Ciao - quick point to make: when you see speech in italics, that is to imply it is in another language. If it is not in italics, it is English.
E.g. "This is an example in another language."
"This is an example in English."
Just thought to make that clear incase you get confused <3

Word count; 2,027

Valentina

Like usual, we gathered in Sascha's tea room, the heat outside already swarming every corner of the house. It was a small building really, at least from the outside. Crammed between two other old-brick and old-cement structures, almost identical. Same number of windows on the front, including one balcony with spewing vines and flowers, and the same type of French doors out back, guiding the way to another veranda which overlooked the lake. Inside, however, it seemed to never run out of rooms. Five floors, each with about four chambers. Even when there was fifteen of us, it could still fit at least ten more.

I crossed one leg over the other, leaning my calves on the chair opposite. Picking up a newspaper from the table, I scanned the headline.

"I never understand why you still read." Teo piped up from across the room, kicking a stopper beneath a French door in effort to ventilate the chamber.

I ignored the boy's comment, trying to find the noted section - a small part towards the end of the paper where citizens could announce what they like.

"Did you pick this up or was it Dorian?" - The kid who'd deliver papers sometimes.

"Dorian." Teo answered, finished with the doors and retreating towards a collection of counters. "Why?"

"It's the wrong one. It doesn't have the notes."

Teo tutted, showing no further care in the matter. I folded the newspaper back up and dropped it on the table, leaning back in my chair. My gaze fell to the doors, the landscape beyond. A flock of finches scurried across the spotless sky. Teo mimicked their chirping and I tittered, only to be interrupted by an eruption through the corridor.

"Emilia!" I reprimanded. "Have you forgotten your manners?"

The girl emerged into the tea room, bundling up her golden hair, "Forgive me, Valentina."

"Someone had an exciting night." Teo narrated, bringing two cups of coffee over to the table.

"Mm, that is just wonderful but you will wake the infants if you continue like this!" I told her.

She bowed her head, finishing up with the buttons on the front of her dress.

"Who was it?"

"Teo!" I scolded.

He giggled, "What?! I want to know!"

I rolled my eyes. Emilia stood idly, still unprepared.

"Go on, then." I smiled.

Teo cheered silently. Emilia took her place at the table, nibbling on a tea biscuit despite how brick-like they were.

"Herr Meyer." She answered Teo's inquiry, turning as he walked by. "And believe me when I say he has endless champagne."

"You should've stole some." I winked, sipping on the coffee.

"I will next time."

"There's a next time?" Teo scraped out one of the chairs, sitting swiftly.

"I will have a report by noon." Emilia looked to me, then facing Teo: "They are holding a ball tonight."

"Very well." I flashed another smile. "How many can make it?"

The question was directed towards Emilia but Teo answered. "Not many."

There were only ten of us left, three being mothers to newborns and two recovering from pneumonia.

"We must all attend, then."

"Quite right."

I had another sip of coffee and stood, sauntering towards the balcony. A neighbour waved greetings - an elderly woman who knew little about the world's situation - and continued to pluck about a pot of roses. I leant over the stone parapet, looking towards the pathway which scaled down the mountains and onto the lake. A group of German officers wandered down, not a care to spare. Many were already splashing in the shore, taking for granted this peaceful time in the sun. Herr Meyer was there too, running to the officers already trekking the path.

"Barbarians." I said to myself - the word a phrase in my home language which seemed to fit perfectly as a description of the officers.

I caught sight of my wrists, how thin they had become in the last few months. Even with the decrease of women to feed, we still could never grab hold of enough food.

"Good day, my Lady."

I turned to my right, our other neighbour making their appearance. He was a young man, twenty or so, who couldn't join the forces because he was colourblind and needed a wheelchair to get around.

"Good morning, sir." I replied. "Are you well?"

"Yes, very well. Will I see you tonight?"

It was amusing, really. His very existence contradicted the Nazi's regime and yet the most important of men in the political party held him dear; he was the nephew of Herr Hitler's right-hand man and cousin.

"Shall you want me there?"

Teo beckoned for my return and I did, sparing a smile to both neighbours before vanishing back inside. Both of my friends were in states of laughter, gasping for air in their amusement. I exhaled and gave my orders: Emilia needed to round up the women and help them prepare for tonight, whilst Teo had to wake up Sascha and go with her to Herr Kiltmann's for tea.

"Don't forget that report, Emilia!" I shouted back as I exited the room.

I hurried through the thin corridor and up the stairs, giving salutations to each person I met with and waking those who still remained in slumber. Along the way, Monika, our youngest of infants, ran into my legs and fell backwards into a bundle of tears. I picked her up, and soon the tears stopped. When we reached my room, I put her on the bed. It wasn't the grandest of rooms; a bed, a desk and chair, a wardrobe. Above the desk, a mirror with names covering one side and the date in the bottom right hand corner. 1st May, 1945. I found my thumb reaching for one name in specific, the mother of Monika - Phoebe - who died a year ago today.

"There she is!"

Behind me, a woman apologised, taking the young girl off the bed and into her arms. She was the closest to Phoebe and had two children herself, Monika adopted as her third.

"It is all right, no harm done."

Upon their departure, I walked to the only window in the room, following the rumble of an engine. A jeep roared by; more officers.

Isn't there a war on? I thought. Why are all the officers here?

The evening came quicker than expected. Although the sun was falling behind the mountains, the temperature failed to resign. I ordered for the girls to wear light dresses - we didn't need any more sick with heat chills. Teo knocked on my door and, after my permission, advanced with a cup of coffee. Like every dusk before events like these, he added a shot of rum.

"Assistance?" I looked at him through the mirror, holding onto a piece of ribbon by my neck.

He nodded contently, putting down the coffee and coming over. His fingers pinched onto the ribbon and I dropped my arms.

"Will... Herr Dietrich be there?"

The whole time my eyes were on the floor, but at this I glanced up. I noticed the bruises beneath his collar, not for the first time, and something fell within me, in its place a layer of empathy. Teo was sixteen, fifteen even, we don't really know, and had seen too much of the world already. I'd known him since before the war; I watched how his smile slowly changed.

I hated what I had to say, "We need everyone, Teo."

"So yes?" He chuckled.

My eyes fell downwards again, "Yes."

"That's okay." Teo cleared his throat. "I don't know what I was expecting."

"Does he not like anything else?" I questioned abruptly; was there anything which would prevent more bruises?

"You don't know what he likes. This is the best of it."

I recalled a Herr Baumann, the man I would persue before he was called to the front lines and a few weeks later shot dead by the Allies. He had a preference to contact in a similar way Herr Dietrich did. If I could, I would trade anything for it to be me in Teo's place. Unfortunately, I was a woman. Herr Dietrich didn't like women. Not in that way.

"There you are." Teo stated, finished with the ribbon.

"What do you think?" I twirled, trying to clear the air.

"Gorgeous, Valentina."

We left it at that. After the coffee and rum, all of us gathered in the entrance hall, handbags on elbows, perfume circulating the air. The four of us were there, waiting for our fifth. Teo, Emilia, myself and a girl named Metilda. At the sound of Sascha's heels making their way down the stairs, I swallowed.

"Ready?"

Everyone nodded.

"Remember, home by three. If you aren't home by four, we will consider you compromised unless word is sent."

More nods. We smiled at each other, knowing it could be the last. It was weird to hear the orders from me - the last ball was a month ago and a month ago this whole operation was lead by someone else.

Eventually we joined a migration of other men and women attending the party. Every person in that village, despite us, was a Nazi or Fascist in some way or another; any where else you'd expect to see some fleeing gestures or disinterested looks. Some sort of reluctance. Here, finding that resulted in assaults, beatings and death. For this was a place where Herr Hitler himself visited regularly and anything which spoke against his rule resulted in your life being taken away. Along the walk, I picked up on the many rumours that he would be attending tonight. I would've believed it, had the same concoction of words not collected every time the Nazis held a celebration.

The building - a castle-like structure on the top of a mountain - had been decorated in all kinds of lights and candles, red flags draped here and there. As we entered, I made sure no-one had split up during the journey, like my predecessor had taught me. Confident, I faced forward, taking in the room we emerged into. I had been inside the building an abundance of times and every time they found a new way to present it. A large area in the middle of the floor for dancing, tables and chairs covering the space around it - that was the normal. Tonight, however, there was more silver and tinsel. More sparkling wine and drunk officers. Only later did I find out it was because a lieutenant was celebrating his last night as a single man.

"Frl Fritz."

All the women and men had spread out, finding their seats. I pivoted to my name, met with the neighbour from earlier.

"Herr Weinder." I found myself examining his suit.

We took our place at a table towards the back of the room, by a large window which permitted the watching of the lake down below. I observed my friends do the same, regarding Teo as he conversed with Herr Dietrich.

"You are absent today."

My head shot towards the man, surprised by the change of language.

"How?" I responded, not very familiar with the dialect.

Herr Weinder changed the subject, "What is your relation to the boy?"

"He is my..." I couldn't find the right word. "He is my ward."

In reality, Teo was just a boy I grew up with who's parents died in the early years of the war.

"Ah." Herr Weinder pulled out a cigarette case from his inside pocket.

He offered me one and I declined.

"Why don't you go dance."

"Why would I do that?"

"Find yourself another man."

"I have another man." I glowered, leaning on the armrest of my seat.

Herr Weinder puffed on his cigarette, his eyes landing at my feet and trailing upwards. I wanted to throw up.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

93.2K 4K 126
Charlie Lancaster leaves home knowing only that she wants to help. There's a war on across the ocean, and boys her age are fighting and dying for the...
59.3K 2.3K 46
Having worked undercover across Europe for the majority of wartime, Juliette Chevalier has become used to living as a mere shadow of the world. Never...
2.5K 137 13
*Tearjerker -- LGBTQ -- Historical / WWI* In Paris, at the end of World War I, also know as the Great War, everyone is a little broken. Some are mor...
81.9K 1.7K 32
โ Why do we always have to fight for peace? โž ยฉ Joseph Liebgott fanfiction all rights go to Tom Hanks, Steven Spielberg and everyone who worked on i...