In Five Years

By Believeeexoxo

Seeing an ex again after three years who you thought was going to be the love of your life is awkward enough... More

Season List for My Brother's Best Friend
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32

Chapter 14

68.7K 1.9K 444
By Believeeexoxo

Maddie

I wake up hot. I'm sweating from all of the warmth from Cameron's body, the sunlight beating down on us from my window. Letting out a groan, I snuggle closer into his chest, feeling his grasp tighten around my waist.

Peeking up at him through my eyelashes, I see his mouth slightly hung open, his eyes still closed. He's so handsome that it almost hurts. His curls are going every which way from the pillow, and as I continue to stare at him I notice how sad I'm getting.

I can't kiss him. He's not mine. He stayed the night with me, but that's just because he wanted to make sure I was okay, right? Last night changed nothing. He's still with Katie. If anything last night just complicated things.

It becomes so painful that I eventually move away from him, but as soon as I do he blinks his eyes open. A beautiful emerald stares back at me, and when that smile falls onto his face I feel my heart begin to pick up speed.

"Good morning," he mutters hoarsely, and then he tucks a strand of hair behind my ear, brushing his thumb against my cheek. "Sleep well?"

"Very much so," I admit. "Thank you again for staying with me. You didn't haven't to."

"I wanted to," he reminds me. "I haven't slept that well in a long time."

Stretching his body out, his feet almost hang off my bed from how tall he is. He grips my headboard behind his head, letting out a loud yawn before he collapses back down onto my mattress. "So, what are the odds that your family knows I'm here?"

"Well, seeming how we drove your car last night and it's parked in the driveway I'd say pretty high."

"Fuck," he mutters. "I forgot."

Does he want to forget about last night? Does he regret it?

"I can just tell them that you needed a place to sleep," I say, and he arches a brow up.

"You think they'll believe that? I slept in your bed, Maddie."

"Well, we didn't do anything."

"Yeah, but they aren't going to believe that."

Climbing out of bed, I search around for my phone and find it on the floor. I bend over to pick it up and check for any missed calls. I don't have any, but Tre tried to text me twice. One asked if I got home okay, and the other asked me to call him.

Cam is staring intensely at me, his arms folded behind his head.

"What?" I ask.

"Please change into something that covers you up more," he says with a smirk toying at his lips.

The sheet is covering his lower half, his abs exposed to me. I scan my eyes over his chest, and honestly, if it weren't for Katie I would have already made my move by now. I would have tackled him right on my bed, but instead, I fumble with the drawstring of my shorts, unsure of what to say.

He has a girlfriend, and he hasn't said anything about breaking it off with her for me. Why would he? The five-year plan was taken off the table. He's been with her for months now. Much longer than he and I ever dated.

"I'm perfectly fine with what I'm wearing," I say proudly. "You'll just have to control yourself, Cameron."

"It's Cam to you." He mutters. "Not Cameron."

"Cam," I correct, and his eyes darken.

From the look he's giving me I think he's about to say fuck it too, but instead, he throws the sheet off of him and stands up to slide his jeans back on over his waist. His hard-on is evident, and I hold back a laugh as he puts the sweater on from last night. "I'm going to go downstairs before this escalates further than it should."

What if I want it to escalate though? What if I want him to take me right here, right now?

"I'm happy that things between us seem to be better. It's almost like we're friends again," he says, and just like that, the thoughts moments ago dissipate. "I don't like fighting with you."

"Me either," I tell him. "Thank you again."

"You don't have to thank me, Maddie. I wanted to be there for you. You're not going to get back with this guy though, are you?"

Shrugging my shoulders, I let out a sigh and glance down at the multiple texts from him that I got last night. "I don't know. He seemed sorry. Last night wasn't exactly the best of situations. He had to be around you, which I know must have been tough for him."

"That doesn't give him the right to call you a bitch and a whore, Maddie," Cameron says through gritted teeth. "Please don't give that fucker the time of day."

"I'll think about it. Okay?"

This isn't pleasing him, but rather than get into another argument with me he just shakes his head and pulls open the door. "Come on, Mads. Let's get this over with."

I follow him quietly into the hallway. He gently closes the door to my room. I think Ethan is still sleeping because his door is shut too, but as soon as we reach the bottom of the staircase my whole entire family is in the kitchen cooking breakfast.

Fuck.

"There's my baby girl!" My dad extends his arms out and I gladly accept his hug. This is the first I've seen him since I've been back, and I have so many questions for him, but all of their eyes turn directly to Cameron.

"Good morning, Cameron," my mother says smugly, "would you like some breakfast?"

"Uh, please," he replies. "Thank you."

Ethan is grinning from ear to ear. I can tell he wants to say a lot right now, but thankfully he's withholding his comments because my parents are in the room too.

My mom passes me a plate, and as Cameron and I begin to eat our eggs, everyone still continues to stare at us.

"What?" I ask irritatingly.

"Oh, nothing," my mother replies, but there's still a smile on her face when she starts to run the sink. "It's just nice to see the two of you together again. That's all."

Her comment irritates me. Mainly because there isn't anything going on between Cam and me. We're still friends. Nothing happened between us last night.

"It's about damn time," Ethan says with a mouthful of food.

"We're not—" Cam stops himself, choosing his words wisely. "We're friends again."

"Friends," Ethan repeats. "And does Katie know you're friends again? Friends who have sleepovers with each other?"

Cam shoots him a death stare, insinuating for him to shut up. My dad takes the hint and clears his throat. "So, Maddie. How's college? Tell me everything."

I'm so tired of that same damn question. I hate college. I want it to be over with. I just want to be in my profession and do what I love, not kill myself for hours cramming for a stupid final, or a paper that's due.

 I shrug. "It's fine."

"Fine?" He asks. "Briarwood has to be more than fine."

"Briarwood is fine," I repeat. "It's stressful, it's frustrating, and I am counting down the days until I graduate. That's the honest answer."

The room grows silent, just the sound of forks scraping across our plates until Cameron stands up and brings his plate over to the sink. I didn't even realize he ate it all.

"I'd love to stay, but I really have to get going," he says. "Thank you for the breakfast Mary, and Richard, it was so great to see you."

"It was good to see you too." My mom leans in to give him a peck on the cheek and pats him on the back. "You're welcome any time."

Oh, god.

"Maddie, can you walk me out?" Cam motions to the door and I quickly hop off the barstool to follow him outside. It's chilly out, and I'm still in just my shorts and a tank top. I cross my arms over my chest and wait for him to say something.

"So..." He trails off. "That wasn't awkward at all."

"Ha." I laugh sarcastically. "Very funny."

A part of me wants to ask him if he still plans on being with Katie, but I don't have the courage to do it. He said we were friends again. Last night he was just consoling me. He knew I needed him. That's it.

I have to let him go.

"I guess we'll see each other for Christmas in a few days," he says to break the silence. "Your mom wouldn't let my dad say no. She's making her big holiday dinner."

"Doesn't surprise me," I say. "That's my mom for you. You know how she is."

"I love it though." He smiles, and I can tell he means it. "She reminds me so much of my mom. It's comforting actually. Plus, it'll be nice to have a home-cooked meal not made by my dad. I appreciate the effort he puts in, but he's a horrible cook."

I laugh. "Really?"

"Oh, god. Yeah. The first night I got back he made spaghetti and meatballs. The meatballs weren't even cooked through all the way."

I wrinkle my nose up in disgust before I say, "That sounds awful."

"It was. Anyways, let's just say I'll be grateful to have a meal that actually tastes good."

Will Katie be with him? Probably. I can't keep hoping that they'll break up. I know that they aren't going to. It doesn't matter that she was a bitch to me last night. Look at her. She's gorgeous. She's fit and tiny, and I'm...me.

"So, we're okay, right?" He scans my eyes, trying to read what it is I'm feeling right now. "Friends again?"

"Yeah," I reply and send him a fake smile. "Friends."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.4M 61.5K 32
Jezzabelle & Noah were bestfriends since diapers. They were very close, and loved each other before they even knew what love was, most likely they we...
5.1K 931 74
Madison is a reserved girl with a comfortable yet uneventful life back home. She has good grades, a loving sister, and a father who's intent on her l...
833K 13.3K 39
Season 4 of My Brother's Best Friend Maddie and Cameron believe they've found the perfect timing. Between a dream study abroad program for Maddie and...
103K 36 7
You know the old saying 'Fake it Til You Make It'? Well my best friend Caitlyn took that a little too seriously. She came up with a crazy scheme to h...