Atlantis Academy: The First E...

By AutumnKalquist

Five Star Reviews for Atlantis Academy: "Omg this book was amazing I couldn't put it down or stop reading. I... More

Atlantis Academy - The First Element: PROLOGUE
CHAPTER ONE
CHAPTER TWO
CHAPTER THREE
CHAPTER FOUR
CHAPTER FIVE
CHAPTER SIX
CHAPTER SEVEN
CHAPTER NINE
CHAPTER TEN
CHAPTER ELEVEN
CHAPTER TWELVE
CHAPTER THIRTEEN
CHAPTER FOURTEEN
CHAPTER FIFTEEN
CHAPTER SIXTEEN
CHAPTER SEVENTEEN
CHAPTER EIGHTEEN
CHAPTER NINETEEN
CHAPTER TWENTY
CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE
CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO
CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE
CHAPTER TWENTY-FOUR
CHAPTER TWENTY-FIVE
CHAPTER TWENTY-SIX
CHAPTER TWENTY-SEVEN
CHAPTER TWENTY-EIGHT
CHAPTER TWENTY-NINE
CHAPTER THIRTY
CHAPTER THIRTY-ONE
CHAPTER THIRTY-TWO
CHAPTER THIRTY-THREE
CHAPTER THIRTY-FOUR
CHAPTER THIRTY-FIVE
CHAPTER THIRTY-SIX
CHAPTER THIRTY-SEVEN
CHAPTER THIRTY-EIGHT
CHAPTER THIRTY-NINE
CHAPTER FORTY
CHAPTER FORTY-ONE
CHAPTER FORTY-TWO
CHAPTER FORTY-THREE
CHAPTER FORTY-FOUR
CHAPTER FORTY-FIVE
THE SECOND ELEMENT - BOOK TWO
CHAPTER ONE
CHAPTER TWO
CHAPTER THREE
CHAPTER FOUR
CHAPTER FIVE
CHAPTER SIX
CHAPTER SEVEN
CHAPTER EIGHT

CHAPTER EIGHT

2.5K 168 8
By AutumnKalquist

I cross the street before I can talk myself out of it. As I reach the curb, a giddy excitement races through me, but I try to tamp it down. I have to pay attention so I don't fall on my face. This fog is crazy.

Now that I'm next to the ocean, the fog's swallowing me whole. But I know exactly where I am... I can see the top of a staircase just ahead. Those stairs lead down the cliffside and will drop me off on the beach right next to Ashford Rock.

I step off the sidewalk and onto the top step, my heart racing. A gust of ice-cold wind sweeps over me, whipping my hair into my face, and the moon disappears behind clouds.

Damn, it's dark.

The steps creak beneath my feet as I descend, and I pause, gripping the slightly damp, cracked wooden banister. This staircase is built into the side of the cliff, and I've got a ways to go before I get down to the beach. From this high, I can't see a thing, and all I hear are the crashing waves below. I can't see a bonfire... but that doesn't mean it's not there.

A chill settles deep in my bones, and dread anchors me in place.

Go home. The voice whispers, tempting me.

I glance back up at the streetlamps. I can still turn around. I don't have to go through with this. If I descend a few more steps, I'll be wading through pitch black.

I let out a shaky breath.

I am not afraid of the freakin' dark. But I do hate heights.

I pick up my pace. It's like moving through a cloud, and soon my face, jacket, and hair are covered in a fine, cold mist.

"Go home." A deep voice booms in my head.

Uh, my voice. My voice booms in my head.

I let out a nervous laugh.

"Nope!" The sound of my defiant reply is swallowed up by the roar of the ocean.

The moon suddenly reappears as the clouds drift away.

Thanks, moon.

It's like it wants me to keep going.

So I do.

I race down the rest of the stairs as fast as I can.

Just ahead... I finally see the end of the staircase and the dark, flat sand.

Almost there.

As I rush down the last few steps, the wind picks up something fierce. I'm shivering hard, wet and cold from the fog. My windbreaker's no match for this.

Relief floods me as my tennis shoes finally hit the beach. They sink in a bit, so I take a few steps to reach the firm-packed, wet sand.

My heart's goin' a mile a minute, and I spin in a circle, trying to get my bearings.

The ocean is a few yards ahead of me, and sea spray mists my face. Just ahead, to the left, I see it—the hulking shadow of Ashford Rock—where it climbs skyward from the beach, jutting out over the ocean.

My heart leaps into my throat, and I jog a few steps toward it, squinting through the fog. I'm shivering uncontrollably now, and between the ocean spray and the fog, I'm gonna be soaking wet soon.

The moon disappears behind the clouds again, leaving me in near darkness.

My breaths come in quick little gasps as I glance around for any sign of a bonfire.

Nothing.

Of course this was a trick. Of course Amanda lied to me. How could I be dumb enough to believe her? A few more steps, and that's it. I'm going back up to the sidewalk and heading home.

I run a little farther, and wind sweeps across the beach, tearing more hair from my ponytail and sending it into my eyes.

A flash of orange-red peeks through the fog.

It's a fire!

The sick feeling in my stomach dissipates, and even though I'm shivering, I relax just a little. That has to be the bonfire.

Which means Jason and his friends are down here.

But my feet now feel like lead. What'll I say when I get there?

Another huge gust of wind knocks me to the side, carrying a spray of sea water with it. It's too cold to stand here when there's a fire.

Dread mixes with a fluttery feeling in my chest as I jog toward where I saw the orange-red glow. As I get closer, it burns brighter, cutting through the mist.

I can't help but smile.

It's definitely a bonfire, right at the base of Ashford Rock, just like Amanda said it would be.

What if it's a trick?

What if it's not?

What do I say to Jason?

My cheeks are already getting hot, and I'm not even there yet.

I'd better slow down and arrive with some dignity.

I stumble to a walk, trying to look more graceful than I am. It's damn hard to look nonchalant when I'm shivering this much.

The bonfire appears out of the darkness and fog, mere feet from the boulders that lead to the top of the Rock. The flames beckon to me, their warmth radiating outward and stealing the chill from the air.

No one's here.

I clench and unclench my fists, glancing around for any sign of people. No chairs. No tents, beer, coolers... nothing. It's just an unattended, medium-sized fire inside a ring of stones.

Well, somebody built it.

Waves crash against the Rock beside me, and a fine spray of ocean water cascades overhead. I try to duck, but I'm not fast enough. It rains down on me, leaving me soaking wet.

My teeth are chattering so hard, I'm afraid they'll break. Do I stay, or do I get out of here?

Too cold to think straight.

I crouch down, huddling close to the fire, turning my palms toward it to try to warm up.

It feels so good, warming up my bones, that I let out a sigh of relief.

My nerves are still on edge, though, and I'm nauseous. Something's not right. The bonfire's right where Amanda said it would be, but... where is everyone?

"Lyric!"

I go tense and look around. Did I imagine that?

"Lyric!"

I glance up, toward the top of the Rock. A flash of light blinds me. A flashlight? A phone? My stomach flips.

"Lyric!"

Someone is definitely calling my name, but I can't tell if it's a female or male voice. Honestly, I shouldn't be able to hear them at all over the roar of the waves, but somehow I can.

And they're on crack if they think I'm climbing up there.

The light flashes again and disappears, and I'm shivering so hard that all I can do is scooch closer to the flames.

I lick my lips and glance toward the pile of boulders beside me. Whoever is up there had to climb up those boulders to get to the top. That's crazy! It's windy, foggy, freezing, and bound to be wet and slippery up there.

"Lyric!"

The light flashes again, calling me. They're up high... standing on the portion of the Rock that extends over the sea. Standing right where our ancestors executed those Native American tribal chiefs.

Nope. Not gonna think about that.

I wait another few seconds, but the light doesn't flash again. If they're calling my name, I can't hear it over my own pulse, which is pounding loudly in my ears.

I lean closer to the fire for more warmth.

Go home.

The voice in my head is sounding better and better. This isn't the beach party I was imagining.

But, again, what's so great about going home?

I came this far... I decided it was time to take a risk. Am I really gonna run home now like a baby? Never know what could have been?

The Rock is calling to me. I feel drawn to it, like I have to climb to the top. Like I'll never forgive myself if I don't.

Like I belong up there.

That's illogical... I know it is. But the feeling that I should be up there is just so damn strong.

It'll be fine. I'll be careful. If they could get up there, so can I.

I stand up and run for the boulders. The fog swirls around me, and another cascade of spray rains down on my head.

The full moon peeks out again from behind the clouds, giving me just enough light to see by.

There's a faint path weaving its way up between the piled boulders. It looks like it might lead straight to the top. That's how they got up there. It's how I'm gonna get up there too.

I begin to climb.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

Static By Hattie

Teen Fiction

7.5K 317 17
{COMPLETED} "now that you've had your fun electrocuting me, would you care to hop in the backseat?" ...
63.8K 10.9K 122
🌟WATTYS 2023 SHORTLIST 🌟WATTYS 2023 FANS CHOICE AWARDS NOMINEE 🌟WATTYS 2022 SHORTLIST 🌟Editor's Pick (Reading Radar) Feb 2024 🌟 Featured Wattpa...
469 18 5
It's so easy....it's almost cruel. The minds of man...so horrifically simple...so tragically obvious. A few bats of my eyelashes, a mischievous smi...
378 57 28
What if I told you that the things from our stories an Book 1d myths are 100% real and I have to save them? Crazy right? Trust me I know but it's tru...