Here and There

By Darkpetal16

The Shinigami King grew tired of his play, so he asked an old soul to change it. Otherwise known as what hap... More

Prologue
Greenroom I
Greenroom II
Greenroom III
Greenroom IV
Greenroom V
Greenroom VI
Greenroom VII
Greenroom VIII
Greenroom IX
Greenroom X
Greenroom XI
Greenroom XII
Greenroom XIII
Greenroom XIV
Greenroom XV
Greenroom XVII
Act 1 - 1
Act 1 - 2
Act 1 - 3
Act 2 - 1
Act 2 - 2

Greenroom XVI

1.9K 155 51
By Darkpetal16

1874

The Shinigami that Sōsuke had turned into half-hollows were still adjusting to their new lives. None were particularly happy to see me when I visited—they associated me with Sōsuke—but at least they weren't openly hostile.

They struggled with dealing with their new abilities. Most of all, they struggled with having lost their home.

I could... sympathize. Kind of. I was capable of it, yet I didn't really try to.

Empathy and sympathy were a lot easier with a human body rather than a soul who existed through sheer willpower. In my current form, it was hard to not dissociate or detach myself.

Everyone was fodder unless I designated otherwise.

Kisuke, Yoruichi, and Tessai had a much better time in their new life. Yoruichi wanted to see the whole world, so she took a chunk of the money and set off sight-seeing. I wished her nothing but the best. Kisuke set up a candy shop that he operated with Tessai. If the duo weren't making confections, they were helping the pitiful victims of Sōsuke's plan.

Starrk and Lilynette were most helpful for them. Thankfully, none of the Shinigamis were rude to my Hollow buddies. In fact, Starrk and Kisuke seemed to get along pretty well.

"What's that?" Kisuke asked.

"A giant cake," I said, not pausing in my piping.

"I understand that," he said. "Why are you making a giant cake here?"

"Because I needed to make a giant cake, and I missed you. Two birds in one stone."

Kisuke looked around his kitchen. "You're going to clean this up when you're done, right?"

"Naturally."

Kisuke picked up a piping bag. "So... want help finishing?"

I smiled. "Would love it. I made some cupcakes for you."

Kisuke let out a soft chuckle. "Too kind."

"So how's life as a fugitive?"

Kisuke shrugged. "Different. Yoruichi loves it."

"I bet." I sighed longingly. "Oh my darling daiquiris"

"Starrk and Lilynette are interesting," Kisuke commented. "They've been very helpful."

"I'm glad. They're good friends."

Kisuke grinned. "I can see why. Play a mean game of Monopoly."

"Wanna join us on our new DnD campaign?"

"Ehh... sure?"

"Excellent," I said. "Fresh meat."

"Am I going to regret accepting this?"

"About as much as a hungover person regrets binge drinking the night before."

He laughed.

(◕▾◕✿)

I did have a good reason for the giant cake.

Tōshirō Hitsugaya finally graduated from the Shinigami academy. I had his whole party planned out and invited all my Shinigami friends. It was hosted at my barracks, and Gin helped me decorate. I went for a winter theme for obvious reasons.

I waited inside the cake until Tōshirō showed up.

"Ta-da!" I said, jumping out of the cake. I coated a layer of my reiatsu around myself so none of the cake or frosting would cling onto me when I jumped out.

Tōshirō's sharp blue eyes widened in surprise. "Ri—why are you in a captain's uniform?"

"Because I am one. Surprise!"

He opened his mouth to respond. Closed it. Then wryly smile. "I should have known. Only a captain could get away with as much chaos as you cause, right?"

"She's the only exception," Genryūsai stressed.

"Not so much get away with as much as..." Shunsui waved his hand at me. "Impossible to punish."

"Exhausting to punish," Sōsuke corrected.

"She's not that bad," Rangiku loyally protested on my behalf at the same time Gin said, "Captain simply knows how to have a good time."

The two exchanged awkward glances. Well, awkward for sweet Rangiku while Gin tried his best to pretend she didn't exist. Poor babies.

"Uh-huh," said Tōshirō slowly. He surveyed my front room. His eyes narrowed upon realizing that I had invited a lot of captains to his graduation party. It couldn't be helped, I only bothered to regularly associate with captains since they usually lived long enough for me to have a reason to remember their names.

Sajin grinned at Tōshirō, his ears perked forward. "Many congratulations on your graduation, Hitsugaya. Captain Rirī has only ever praised you."

"She's been planning this for a while," Jūshirō added. "Congratulations."

"You excelled. It's impressive to have only graduated in a year at such a young age," Sōsuke politely said.

"Yeah, I didn't expect my record to be beaten that soon," Gin cheekily supplied.

Tōshirō nodded curtly, his cheeks a shade redder than before. He kept a poker face as he bluntly said, "Thank you. The praise is not necessary, though."

"Awww. So cute," I cooed. I gave him a big smile. "So... wanna join my squad? I can train you personally. I trained Shu, Ju, So-So, and Genny!"

"Who—?" Tōshirō shook his head. "No, thank you, Rirī."

I gasped. "What? No? Why?"

"I don't want to have a spot given to me because of my relationship with you," he said. "I want to earn my position fairly."

"You—you did," I said quickly. "You graduated in only a year—you're the youngest graduate on top of that."

"Then I should have no issues finding my own squad," he pointed out.

"But... but..."

Genryūsai cleared his throat. "The first division is always looking for—"

"And I will not be joining anyone who thinks to use me as a way of controlling my friend," he said curtly.

"Fuck," sighed Genryūsai. Retsu patted his shoulder.

"Then," Rangiku said slowly, "why don't you apply for my squad? Captain Isshin is completely fair." She winked. "Plus you'd get to be on a squad with me. Who wouldn't want that?"

Despite being disappointed at the rejection, I forced cheer in my tone as I said, "That's an excellent point. I'd love to be on a squad with you, Ran-Ran."

Rangiku beamed. "Hehe."

"We'll see," said Tōshirō with a brief smile.

I clapped my hands together. "Let's put a pin in that for now. We should eat before the food gets cold."

"Thank goodness, I was drooling over that buffet," Shunsui laughed.

(◕▾◕✿)

The party lasted through the night. While we ate, we played a riveting game of Bullshit which turned into poker where we bet on the last batch of cookies I had in the oven. They were mana biscuits, so Sōsuke played dirty to win them.

It was a fun night. Tōshirō relaxed the longer he spent time around them, and by the early hours of the morning, he was even chuckling. It warmed my heart to see my companion making more friends.

By dawn, everyone started to head home (or in Gin's case, pass out in his room at the barracks), except for Tōshirō who wanted to help with the cleanup. It went by quickly with his assistance. We worked quietly in tandem.

"Rirī, are you okay?"

"Huh?" I blinked.

"You seem... not completely happy," Tōshirō said quietly.

Oh.

"Kind of bummed," I admitted. "I'll bounce back though, don't worry."

"Why are you sad?" Tōshirō asked, moving to stand next to me. "Because I didn't join your squad?"

"Yeah. I really wanted to spend more time with you."

"Dummy, we can still do that," he said. He reached forward and flicked my forehead. "Distance isn't going to ruin our friendship."

"But what if you get too busy?"

"I'll never be too busy for you."

"Promise?"

"Pinky promise," he said, holding up his pinky. "Don't I always keep my promises to you?"

I smiled. "Yes. You always do."

We hooked pinkies together, adding another promise between us.

(◕▾◕✿)

"Hey Rirī..."

"Yes, Shiro~?"

"... Thanks for having clothes on when you jumped out of the cake."

"It's only this one time," I warned him. "Your hundredth birthday I'm going all out."

Tōshirō looked faintly concerned at the thought.

(◕▾◕✿)

1957

There was only one more Shinigami I was on the lookout for until the main play began.

Rukia.

Rukia and her older sister, Hisana, were brought together to Inuzuri, the 78th District of Rukongai after they died in the Human World. Unable to live there while caring for a child, Hisana abandoned Rukia when she was still a baby. Rukia was forced to grow up on the streets where she eventually fell in with a gang of other abandoned/orphaned children. After growing up a bit more, she and one of her friends—Renji—decided to go to the academy to become Shinigami.

While at the academy one day, Byakuya Kuchiki informed Rukia that the Kuchiki Clan was interested in adopting her and having her graduate immediately to be assigned to the 13th Division. Rukia was told Byakuya adopted her into the Kuchiki Clan due to her similarity to Hisana, whom he had married.

The Hisana Byakuya married was the same Hisana that was Rukia's older sister. Completely guilt-ridden that she had abandoned her sister, Hisana's soul devoured her physical body until she passed away. Her dying wish to Byakuya was to take care of her sister.

Some other stuff happened but I didn't really remember.

That was how the original story went.

I never found Rukia prior to her adoption into the Kuchiki Clan. I did look—looked damn hard—but luck wasn't on my side and I didn't get her in time.

Now here we have a deviation.

A pretty damn big one.

Hisana never married Byakuya. They were never even an item.

I had literally no idea where the hell Hisana was because she straight up never showed up.

Rukia was adopted into the Kuchiki Clan due to a long-ago promise I made with Byakuya's grandfather, Ginrei Kuchiki who was the previous sixth division captain.

What was that promise?

Saving Byakuya when he was a child.

When Byakuya was born, something, happened with his soul that caused a disconnect between his Shinigami body and his spirit.

Regardless, instead of Hisana being the one who was dying from her soul devouring her body, it was Byakuya.

Concerned about the deviations, I made Ginrei promise that the Kuchiki Clan would adopt a girl named Rukia in a few decades. Gave him a sketch of what she would roughly look like, and the deal was set.

Byakuya was healed.

Rukia was adopted.

To that day I still had no idea what the hell happened with Hisana and why Byakuya nearly died instead.

Oh well.

I got a message from the Kuchiki family saying they had "fulfilled the end of their deal" and put two and two together. I promptly headed straight to Genryūsai's office. I entered without knocking, ignoring the withering glare of his lieutenant at my audacity.

"There's really only one person I want as my final lieutenant," I said with a wide, wide smile. "She's finally available and I'm taking her under my wing."

Genryūsai gave a little chuckle. "Do as you like."

"I love you, Gen-Gen," I said.

"I love you too, Teacher," he said.

(◕▾◕✿)

Next I went to the Kuchiki residence where I was let in without much fuss. The family as a whole was—on good days—neutral to me. I was an old, powerful, Shinigami Captain that had earned my title and respect; but I was also known to be eccentric, whimsical, and dangerous to be around if in a foul mood.

Fickle.

That's the word.

I was fickle.

I explained to the guard who I was there for, and they guided me to the room Rukia had been given.

"Hello," I greeted as soon as I spotted her.

She was dressed in the standard black shihakusho that all Shinigami wore after graduating.

Oh so she already graduated? That's good, I thought.

"Hello, C-Captain," said Rukia, bowing politely. "Um—"

"Please be at ease. My name is Rirī. I'm the Captain for the fifth division team, and I'm here to offer you the position as my lieutenant."

"Me?" Rukia echoed, her beautiful eyes widening in surprise. Everything about her was gorgeous. She was a traditional Japanese beauty, with pale skin, big blue eyes, and well-kept black hair. It'd be crazy to say she wasn't a beauty.

Maybe not on par with Yoruichi or Rangiku, but I had to admit I was biased for them.

I offered her up a wide grin. "Yes, you. You've got potential, my dear, and I'm an expert at drawing out that potential."

"I-I've only just become a Shinigami, though!" Rukia blurted out, flustered by my attention and praise. "I-I would be honored, but I'm afraid I lack the ability to handle such an important responsibility."

"Pish-posh," I told her, waving my hand dismissively. "My last lieutenant was picked straight out of the academy and now he's a captain."

Rukia's cheeks darkened, and she stammered to say something in response, but I put a finger against her lips. "Hush, my dear. If you will not have faith in yourself, then have faith in me."

Pulling back my finger, I gave her a few seconds to recollect herself. She took a deep breath then bowed lowly. "Then... please train me well, Captain Rirī!"

"That's the spirit, sweetie," I praised. "Come with me and I'll introduce you to my team."

(◕▾◕✿)

"Team, this is Rukia. Rukia this is Kura, Shiori, and Snuggles," I said, introducing her to each of them.

Shiori was—unsurprisingly—the only one to politely respond back with,~Good day to you, Miss Rukia. We look forward to working with you.~

"Try not to disappoint," Kura snarked, eliciting a mild glare from me.

"It'll take some time to adjust, but our primary goal will be for you to unlock your bankai by the end of the year," I said, encouragingly.

"A—A year?" Rukia squeaked out, her surprise coming out adorable.

"Of course! I know you can do it. You just need the right teachers," I soothed her. "Thankfully your typing goes along well with Shiori so she'll be a great asset to you."

Certainly better than the other two teaching her, I thought privately. Kura and Snuggles were loyal and did their job well enough to be above reproach, but... well...

They were assholes.

They'd help her, for sure, but they'd do it in such a painful way.

Rukia bowed politely to Shiori, eliciting a little giggle out of the dainty butterfly summon.

"Let me show you around the compound. We'll be starting training early in the morning, so make sure you get a lot of rest tonight," I told her, taking her arm and gently pulling her around.

(◕▾◕✿)

A week later

Rukia was a diligent student.

~Miss Rukia, your reiatsu has faltered. Please restart the concentration,~ coached Shiori.

Rukia sat cross-legged in the courtyard, her zanpakutō sitting straight up across from her. Shiori rested delicately at the top of the weapon, carefully monitoring the fluctuation of Rukia and her zanpakutō.

The largest obstacle all shinigami faced in obtaining their bankai was the difficulty in matching their reiatsu frequency to that of their zanpakutō, and thus being able to perfectly communicate with it. Due to the Shinigami having vitality, they had an inherently harder time controlling their reiatsu.

Shiori's sensor abilities were ideal for guiding shinigami to learn to create the perfect frequency and consequentially unlock their bankai.

Without Shiori, it would simply take years (decades) of guesswork and instinct.

(Unless you were the main protagonist, like Ichigo.)

Rukia had great potential to be a powerful force, but she never had someone properly guide her, or provide her with the necessary one-on-one instruction to compensate for her not being Ichigo.

Rukia let out a soft sigh, readjusting her posture as she reset the control exercise to begin again.

~A little higher, Miss Rukia,~ Shiori said. ~Yes, you're much closer now. Keep it up.~

"Is this the new lieutenant?" cooed Gin. He and Sōsuke had entered the barracks a scarce few minutes ago.

"Yes. The Kuchiki Clan adopted her," I said. "Her name is Rukia."

"The Kuchiki Clan adopted her?" Sōsuke inquired, raising an eyebrow in surprise. "Strange."

"I made them," I said.

"Ah. Less strange."

"Hard to believe I've only been captain for a few decades and you've already got me replaced," Gin mockingly sniffled.

I stepped into the air so I could ruffle his hair. "You'll always be welcome back into my squad if you're ever bored."

"Truly tempting," said Gin.

"Do you plan to add anyone else?" asked Sōsuke.

"Plan to? No. But who knows what'll happen in a few centuries?" I shrugged. "I might finally be allowed to retire. Elope with Shiro and go drink daiquiris on the beach."

"That will never happen," Sōsuke and Gin immediately said. Sōsuke sounded unusually harsh when he said that, and if I didn't know any better I would have thought I saw a glare.

"You both suck," I politely informed them. "It's very rude to step on my dreams."

"As your friends, it is our duty to give you reality checks otherwise you might forget which direction up is in," Sōsuke dryly remarked.

"You're big stinker butt," I said. "I'm leaving before you start telling me I should stop hiding fireworks under people's pillows."

"You what," Sōsuke deadpanned while Gin snickered.

(◕▾◕✿)

This chapter was hard to write because I'm so excited to finally reach the main plot. I'm bored of the setting up, so sorry if you all wanted a longer time in the pre-story period.

Double update~

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

19.2K 202 17
Welcome to bleach the world with shinigami, hollows, and Quincy I'm going to bring you this story of our lead protagonist This is a remake of the fir...
30.1K 765 19
18 + Mature content Kisuke Urahara saves a princess from giving her life up. Later he asks her to be his wife. How do you think there story is going...
30.5K 983 42
When Ichigo shows no interest to Shinji's lures of joining the Vizard, the group of ex-Shinigami end up taking to slightly extreme measures. Ichigo i...
2.2K 53 51
He was the hollow, she was his victim and then Shiba Isshin and Urahara changed everything. Five years passed with him imprisoned when a light shone...