Utterly Barbaric || Harald Fi...

By Krazy_Kupid

He was the conqueror. She was the sacrifice. He was powerful. She was unexpected. He was certain. She was unc... More

Epigraph
Prologue
i
ii
iii
iv
v
vi
vii
viii
ix
x
xi
xii
xiii
xiv
xv
xvi
xvii
xviii
xx
xxi
xxii
xxiii
xxiv
xxv
xxvi
xxvii
xxviii
xxix
xxx
xxxi
xxxii
xxxiii
xxxiv
xxxv
xxxvi
xxxvii
xxxviii
xxxix
xl
xli
xlii
xliii
xliv
xlv
Interlude
xlvi
xlvii
xlviii
xlix
l

xix

4.5K 159 4
By Krazy_Kupid

xix. In Chains

When Kari had first found out who her father was, she had been so numb with pain from her mother's passing that she could hardly register the fact that her father was a famous Viking. 

She had to bury her mother and speak a few words, knowing that their vicar would not give her the blessings she would need to pass on to the afterlife. After that, she had to learn how to live on her own, to protect herself, to feed herself. It had all been too much for a little girl. 

That was how she felt. Alone and helpless. Orphaned at such a young age. The most painful fact of them all was that both parents chose to leave her. Her father had left her mother and her mother chose to take her own life rather than live for her daughter. 

After she had settled into life alone, she had begun to think of the life she would have if she tried to meet her father. He was the most famous Viking of all time. Surely, that was bound to mean something good across the sea. 

In England, she would be tortured and executed should anyone find out about her parentage. Yet she had dreams that perhaps, somewhere out there, she would be welcomed with open arms. 

She thought about her faceless father finding out about his daughter, delighted by the fact that she existed. She thought about his people welcoming her to their villages with bright smiles and cheers. 

Or at least, she expected them to look at her and see someone brave and strong. Not an outcast but one of their own. 

What Kari didn't expect to happen was her life being threatened and for the truth to be revealed in order to save her life. 

She also did not know what was going to happen next but she didn't expect that she would be pushed to the ground and restrained like an animal. A far cry from what she expected people to do once they found out that she was Ragnar Lothbrok's long-lost daughter. 

Upon hearing Harald's words, Queen Lagertha's eyes widened with shock. Gasps were heard all over the room as all eyes turned from him to the golden-haired girl they had not noticed before. They all looked at her and tried to compare her to the man they had once known or maybe heard of. 

There were many who surged forward to get a closer look at her, beginning to see the resemblance between the young girl and the man they had all once looked up to as their leader. 

Before anyone could voice out a word, Queen Lagertha called out a command to her soldiers. Immediately, Harald was taken away forcibly, restrained by four soldiers. 

'I'll find you.' He had mouthed to Kari, his gaze sure as he was dragged away to who knows where. 

She could only hope to share his enthusiasm. Up to this point, she is sure that she would never see the light of day again. He may be saying those things but he was a prisoner himself. 

Kari pulled herself up, her hands tied behind her back as Queen Lagertha looked down at her in suspicion and doubt. The next thing she knew, a bag was placed over her head as she was pulled to her feet. 

With nothing but the darkness, she was escorted by even more soldiers as she heard protests coming from all around her. All voices seemed confused and even worse, angry. Most of them were calling her an impostor, a liar. Though there were some who wanted to know the truth, who shouted for the bag over her head to be removed. 

It was unfortunate that none of those shouts were obeyed as the next time she was able to see, she was being tied to a wooden post inside a damp barn. All alone as they shut the door, leaving her in the darkness with her own thoughts. 

For days, she was left alone. Stale bread and a cup of water were brought to her every day but none dared to talk to her. Everyone who entered to bring her food or change the bucket where she relieved herself remained silent. 

They would not even look at her. As if she had some sort of disease. She was convinced she would've gone mad when one day, the door opened and a familiar face emerged. 

Lagertha, the Viking queen. 

The older woman approached and pulled a chair to sit in front of her. "Your name is Kari, is it not?" 

"It is." Kari nodded, her voice hoarse from lack of use. Not helping herself, she added. "Kari Ragnardottir." 

Lagertha grimaced upon hearing the words before wiping such an expression from her face with a sneer. "So proud. Someone ought to teach you a lesson about pride." 

"Pride? I'm tied to a wooden beam in a barn submerged in darkness. I'll inform you if I find what little pride I have left." Kari scoffed.

Lagertha exhaled, before approaching. She tilted the younger girl's face upward, their eyes clashing into a battle of wills. "I must admit, there is a great resemblance but features aren't everything. Your mother could have lied to you." 

Kari snorted, a challenge in her tone. "Bjorn didn't seem to think so. He accepted me as his sister because he knew right away that I am who I say I am." 

She may have had doubts before about Ragnar being her father but the longer she stayed in this world, the more she was thoroughly convinced that her mother's last letter was telling the truth. 

"Bjorn? He does not know Ragnar as I do." Lagertha hurriedly defended, taken aback. 

"He would know his sister. He did know, even before I said anything. He knew." Kari assured her, meeting her gaze

To her surprise, Lagertha let out a laugh. "You are definitely like him. Ever the negotiator." 

Kari narrowed her eyes in suspicion. "You're convinced then? Yet you keep me a prisoner without a chance to explain myself. I thought you protected women." 

Lagertha glared harshly. "I don't protect the whores of men who try to take from me what is rightfully mine." 

At her words, Kari sneered. "Whore? You didn't even know me then! I came here with Harald because Bjorn told me that this was the best way to learn about my father. He told me that his mother would tell me all I need to know but all she has done is imprison me, accuse me of being a liar, and call me a whore." 

"You are definitely Ragnar's daughter and he was never to be underestimated." Lagertha continued, leaning forward to tug on the ropes restraining her in a mocking manner. "I didn't want to underestimate you and until I know of your true intentions, you'll be staying here. As a guest." 

"As your prisoner, you mean. And what have you done with Harald?" Kari couldn't help but ask, hoping that he was alright or at least, alive.

"Do not worry about King Harald. I am taking very good care of him. Very good care." Lagertha patted her on the head as if she were some wild animal to be tamed. 

Upon hearing that, Kari kicked out with her feet. Her feet struck Lagertha's torso and the Viking woman flew backward. Her eyes looked to Kari in shock as if she couldn't believe the strength she still had after days of little food. 

"Everyone answers to their crimes sooner or later. I'll make sure you answer to yours." Kari swore, her eyes burning with a dark promise of vengeance. 

"You will never get a chance to. You'll never get out of here." Lagertha gritted her teeth, standing up and brushing herself off. 

Thinking she was leaving with the last word, Lagertha stalked off, closing the door behind her with her chin held high. She didn't want anyone to see how the girl's words affected her. The vow in her eyes brought chills to the Viking woman and she found herself shuddering. 

Meanwhile, back in her prison, Kari looked at the floor not far from her. A smile crept upon her lips as she spotted the sharp jewel lying on the ground where Lagertha had fallen. 

When the older woman tried to intimidate her, the jewel sparkled in her vision and Kari knew what she had to do. 

Reaching out with her foot, she let out a victorious breath as she felt it dig into the heel of her shoe. 

"Not get out of here? We'll see about that."

▪︎°▪︎°▪︎°▪︎°▪︎°▪︎°▪︎°▪︎°▪︎

Hello everyone! Hope you're all doing well. This is a bit of a filler chapter but not to worry it will be fast-paced from here especially since they're off to another adventure, iykyk. Also I love love love Lagertha but in the point of view of this group, she is a bit of a villain :,,,( 

Next chapter will definitely have an escape and a reunion between our two fave characters :>> Stay tuned and sending you all my love<3!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

24.8K 550 12
Ivar/OC **I own only the storyline && OCs**
84.6K 2.2K 26
He noticed the strange branding on her neck. It was the shape of a "W". He didn't know what it meant. She must have been a Slave they brought from a...
169K 2.8K 200
First list of parchments publishing the Ragnarssons' reactions to situations proposed by you guys! Requests are open for more on my ask box at Tumblr...
16.2K 468 65
Vikings AU: You are Siggy, daughter of Björn and Þorunn, born in 804 AD after the return from England where Þorunn suffered grave injury. However, as...