xx

xx. Relief

Harald awoke with a start, cursing everyone outside for waking him up. 

He was filled with rage, especially after what Lagertha did to him and having to spend days worrying about what she had done to his Kari. 

Was she alright? Was she being fed? Was she warm whenever it would chill in the evenings? But most of all, the question that pounded in his skull every second, was she still alive? 

He did not know if Lagertha would hurt her or if she had been killed. It was hell not knowing if his girl was in a place like his, wondering why he had not yet come for her. It wasn't like he was even in a position to help himself but whenever he imagined those clear blue eyes filled with a sense of hopelessness, it felt like a punch in the gut. 

Being left alone to stew in his anger and used by the bitch, Lagertha, his rage was reaching new heights.

"Miserable bastards," Harald muttered under his breath before realizing what the sounds happening outside were. 

His eyes widened as his ears were filled with the sounds of men fighting, swords being drawn, and finally, the door to his prison being opened. 

A familiar man entered the door, followed by a few others. The man let out a clear sigh of relief. "King Harald."

"What the fuck took you so long?!" Harald demanded, pulling on his bonds, almost impatiently.  

"Forgive us. The news and travel took us some time." One of his men answered, looking like boys being scolded by their mother.

Feeling a bit terrible for shouting at the men rescuing him and sensing that their window for escape was closing quite quickly, Harald gestured to his hands. "Alright, get me out of here." 

All of them surged forward, their swords cutting him free as the ropes fell apart limply around him. He let out a grunt of pain as his hands fell, relief coursing through his arms as they did so. He did not think he could lift his hands any time soon. 

Fuck, if this was how Kari was imprisoned as well, there was no doubt that she was probably in a lot of pain.

Harald closed his eyes, not wanting to think of how she could be suffering. He would get to her, he would find her. He pulled himself to his feet, only for his legs to crumple beneath him. 

"King Harald, are you alright?" One of the men asked him, all of them looking down at him worriedly.

"Do I look alright to you?" Harald asked sarcastically, wondering why the group that had rescued him seemed a bit slow in the head. "Help me up!" 

Two men reached forward to help him up as his legs regained feeling in them. They aided him as some of them already went off to clear the way. His eyebrows furrowed with worry as they assisted him outside, wondering what is stopping the others from killing them.