Fresh Blood (Code Vein Male R...

By OldReliable_Markuss

It seems everyone everywhere is thirsty. So how will our boy (Y/N) survive outside of a shelter with revenant... More

Author's Note
Prologue: Twisted World
Ruined City Underground I
RCU 1.5: Saving Private Oliver
Ruined City Underground II
Ruined City Underground III
Ruined City Underground IV
Finally, a break
Into the City
Impromptu Rescue Mission (2669 words, nice)
Below the Delirious Cocoon...
...and how Alice was saved
It's all Fun and Games
Until Someone Loses their Cool
Family bonds
Down the Rabbit's... Pit?
Hostile Newcomers
To the Rescue... Again
The day of spooks
Execution
Intermission
Inevitability
Architectural Hell
The little sister
Edge of the Crater
Aurora's Crypt
7 Days
Above the White Caps
Mountaintop Truth (ß)
Mountaintop Truth
Breathless Knight
No Farewells
Back Home, Except...
Not what it seems
Designated Rescue Team
Heart of Gold
SSDD

That one song...

1.5K 40 83
By OldReliable_Markuss

Another peaceful day slowly passed by, and (Y/N) sat comfortably on the couch with a black cat on his lap, nuzzling into him.

(Y/N): Hehe, who's a good kitty?

Cat: Mrow!

(Y/N): That's right! It's you! It's...

A sudden sense of unease struck (Y/N). Something was wrong, but he didn't know what. He instinctively glanced over at the front door to the house, down a short hallway and beside the staircase going up.

(Y/N): You, you're a good kitty.

He set the cat on the couch beside him, then cautiously made his way to the door. He was already half way there.

Wait a second. He wasn't even armed! How was he going to do anything if there WAS something wrong?

Well, too late to think about that though, he was already at the door. That birch wood door, completely innocent and not hiding some eldritch monstrosity behind it.

Definitely not, that'd be ridiculous.

(Y/N): Why are my palms sweaty?

*Knock Knock*

Someone was knocking, almost making (Y/N) jump with surprise. A small, fluffy animal rubbing against his leg helped calm him down a bit. With a short sigh, he bends down to grab the cat (so it doesn't, maybe, run away) and opens the door.

???: So, you done housesitting yet?

Ah, yes, he had got off of work early this day and (Y/N) completely forgot.

(Y/N): Not yet bro, why don't you go wait at home?

His brother Ross was there, being his sole housemate now ever since they had started moving away. The downside of being human, the balance of a whole other community hung on how many of you there were in any given place. Well, one of the downsides at any rate.

There was a lot of debate as to who would move on when you heard they would only move four of you at once. Seeing as you needed at least two capable people in each house, it only made sense you and your older brother had to stay. The two middle children never had it easy anyways.

Ross: Just let me in. You know Howard wouldn't mind.

(Y/N): Not a chance! It's called professionalism, and I'm pretty sure having guests over when housesitting isn't professional. I need to keep up my rep while I don't find something more permanent.

That's right. The past few weeks were filled with handing out resumes and applying to jobs, since their budget was really tight. Still, even if (Y/N) didn't get a well paying job, they just needed to be frugal for a while.

How much could go wrong in a short two months anyways?

Ross: I hate when you're right, but I'm also... *Gag* proud of you... oh that was painful.

That bastard was smirking at (Y/N). The nerve on that guy! (Y/N) knew that he still was telling the truth and was proud of everything they had done in the past few weeks. Despite Ross' best efforts to make this seem like a punishment for him, that is.

Ross: Speak of the devil! How's it going Howard?

Just a meter away was the owner of the house, and (Y/N)'s most steady employer so far. A well dressed man with neatly combed black hair.

Howard: Good afternoon to you too Ross, young (L/N). It goes well, I trust you feel the same?

(Y/N): I'll just get my bag and see myself out then boss.

Howard: Of course.

While Howard and Ross keep talking about nothing in particular, and (Y/N) moves back to the living room and grabs a raggedy courier bag— strange, was it always that beat up? Probably, he had been using it for some years now and nothing lasts forever. Anyways, with that and one last ear scritch for the cat, (Y/N) walks out to join the others and say goodbye for now.

Howard was just closing on his scholarly topic that definitely went over Ross' head. Wasn't easy keeping up with a marine biologist, that's for sure. (Y/N) moves beside his brother and addresses Howard.

(Y/N): Well, nothing big happened. There's a letter about taxes and next week's invitation for you, they're on the kitchen counter right on top of the newspaper, and I took the liberty of making some coffee for you. Should still be hot, I think.

Howard: Thank you, young (L/N). Here's today's payment, and a gift.

Howard hands (Y/N) two things: and envelope that definitely had a healthy stack of bills (on the standard of an unemployed teenager, mind you) and, under it, a thick book.

(Y/N): Oh? What's that?

Howard: My group had a guest today, an associate of a group with similar tastes to ours, he distributed these books. It is a fascinating read, though not exactly to my tastes, and I trust you will put the knowledge inside to good use.

Howard gives (Y/N) a quick wink. He was a nice, and eccentric, man who liked the (L/N) family enough, being their neighbor of decades and all.

(Y/N): Thanks a lot. Same day next week?

Howard: Of course! You already know I have the invitation.

The two of them share a chuckle, then wave at each other.

(Y/N): See you then.

Ross: Later.

Howard: Goodbye, you two.

As the remaining (L/N)s move away, the last thing they see is Howard bending down to pick up his cat and closing the door. The two of them stand at the front entrance of their door, not wanting to walk into the empty house just yet.

Ross: Why is he always out on the same day every week?

(Y/N): Apparently he attends a seafood feast? Something like that, with his marine biologist friends. It's very formal, they get matching suits, actual, handwritten invitations, the whole deal. Must be some fraternity ritual or something.

Ross: Man, you work for a weirdo.

(Y/N): That may be true, but he's nice and I know exactly why you're trying to get me down. You're jealous that the cat likes me better!

(Y/N) raises his voice a bit at the end of his sentence and points an accusing finger at Ross.

Ross: Pft, as if! You know what they say about black cats.

(Y/N): Their fur is the softest?

Ross: No, the bad luck thing and all.

(Y/N): Huh, could have fooled me. Not that you'd know, would you?

Ross: ... okay, you didn't have to be an asshole about me never petting it.

(Y/N): The fact that the cat doesn't let you pet it tells you who the true asshole is.

And they just fall into a comfortable, familiar silence while (Y/N) takes a seat on the porch stairs and starts counting his money.

(Y/N): Yup, all here as usual. That man never misses anything, does he?

Ross: Speaking of which, what's that book he gave you?

(Y/N): Right, that...

It was an odd book. The leather hardcover didn't have a title printed on it for some reason. Neither did the backside or the spine. (Y/N) went to check the first few pages and, lo and behold there it was.

Ross: Man, Mr. Lovecraft gave you some weird secret book didn't he?

(Y/N): Someone's acting all weird now, using his last name for a change.

Ignoring that, and the rude comment on his boss' trustworthiness, (Y/N) reads what the book is about.

(Y/N): What the hell is a Necrono—

Before he can finish that sentence, the house to their left, the one (Y/N) had just came from, literally explodes into a great fireball. A small piece of burning debris falls on the open book and sets it alight, making (Y/N) drop it before he burns himself.

Shortly after something small lands in front of them, a chain that used to be wrapped comfortable around Howard's cat's neck, white hot and still bearing an illegible nametag written in cursive.

(Y/N): W-what the? Howard?

Absolutely stunned by what he had seen, (Y/N) takes a small step towards the burning house before his brother puts a forceful hand on his shoulder to snap him out of it.

Ross: Inside. Now.

He turns the key and opens the door, and both the young men look inside to something that shouldn't be just sitting in the center of the house. A lost, wrapped tightly in belts upon belts filled with explosives, like a present you didn't want to open.

Of course, it screamed and pulled a pin from itself, but even it was drowned out by Ross' scream.

Ross: OUTSIDE! NOW!

Dragging his little brother away from the house, Ross barely manages to save the two of them as they are still caught in the shockwave of the huge blast and sent flying to the middle of the street. At the same time, the shelter sirens start blaring in alert and everything slows down for (Y/N) as he is midair, held by his brother, watching the very moment everything went to absolute shit.

That's when he pieces why everything looked off.

(Y/N): God damnit, I'm in a nightmare aren't I?

Just as he says that, he looks down at the ground where he's supposed to land and he sees a pool of blood red ichor swirling, then a multitude of blades springing up from the ground as time resumes flowing.

Just as a desperate (Y/N) was about to hit the blades, his eyes snap open and he's sitting in the couch where he slept.

The church was dark, as it was late at night or early in the morning, he didn't know for sure. (Y/N) was in a cold sweat, but he hadn't woken up brusquely like you'd expect someone having a nightmare.

He was already accustomed to that one, at any rate.

A small, electronic sound comes from his left. Glancing over, Io was sleeping just like him, in a sitting position, with a game still running on her lap.

A small sigh on his lips, (Y/N) grabs it, makes sure it's saved and puts it on rest mode. Battery is valuable, after all. Man was it cold tonight.

(Y/N): I guess anything is cold when you come out of a literal burning city.

(Y/N) pulls his blanket over his standing form, uncovering Io in the process. That he didn't like much. Just because revenants couldn't feel cold, or hot, probably more things he didn't even know, doesn't mean he should take blankets from them.

With all the experience he had with putting sleepy Avery to bed, (Y/N) picks up Io (princess style of course) and gently moves her to her own bed, tucking her in. He can't help but smile at the sleeping woman, and all the memories that brings back.

He lets out a quiet laugh on this chilly night.

(Y/N): Still got it.

And moves towards the bar to get himself a midnight refreshment. On his way there, he grabs that brand new sword gifted to him out of instinct. He just had a reminder of what happened last time he was unarmed, after all.

On his way there he sees that a certain someone is sitting on one of the wooden chairs in the external area, looking over the city below. Eva was sitting there, unmoving, her hair shining a bit in the moonlight.

Looking over at that scenery, she was probably at peace. But (Y/N), looking over at her, he could only see what he's always seen in her ever since their first meeting. Tempted by the situation, he reached for the hilt of the sword.

Taking quiet steps towards her, he slowly pulled the blade out of the sheath. With her facing away and without any armor, it would be easy. That chair wasn't going to put too much resistance against this weapon, so as long as she didn't notice him...

And he knew he could sneak well, the only thing that could give him away would be the sound of his unsheathing blade. Poor, unlucky Eva, this weapon was so perfectly fitted that it was almost muted in it's movement. (Y/N) would have to thank Rin sometim—

Before he can finish that thought, his "target" lets out a shuddering breath. That snaps him out of his paranoia momentarily, reminding him that she came here half dead and while they were out...

(Y/N): Shit, Rin was the one caring for her. I can't just... invalidate all her work. Or Louis' for that matter. Or the resources we expended on her.

His face was slowly contorting into a conflicted expression. Damnit he hated having to think about relationships, and consequences other than death, why was this all so complicated?

Looking down to his blade for a good five seconds, he quietly breaths in deeply.

(Y/N): Remember, this is all practice. You have four days to become a decent human being with a reasonable amount of flaws.

(Y/N) audibly exhales and fully sheathes his blade again, which lets out a satisfying *click* once it slides fully into place. He was sure that was going to snap Eva out of her daydream, or whatever she was doing, but it didn't.

Either that or she didn't care much for him being there. That possibility had him more irritated because either she wasn't scared of him (which she shouldn't to be fair, but still) or she thought the two of them were already all buddy-buddy with each other. Both cases were something he didn't want.

(Y/N): She can't be cold, I think, is she asleep? A nightmare? Ugh...

Against his better judgement, and much to the delight of his curiosity, he gets closer to her.

(Y/N): Eva.

He called out softly, not in a whisper, but because he was tired and didn't want to wake anyone else up. But he got no response. Closer yet, he called again.

(Y/N): Eva? You alright?

He was right behind her now, slowly rounding to her front. In addition to calling out her name more firmly, he also poked her arm with the pommel of his sword. That seemed to do the trick, and she reacted fast to boot, already having her eyes open by the time (Y/N) saw them.

Either that, or...

(Y/N): Am I imagining it?

Eva: Oh, I must have dozed off. Did you need something (Y/N)?

This time, his better judgement and curiosity agreed. He wanted to make sure of something for his peace of mind.

(Y/N): You sleep with your eyes open or something?

Eva: I hear it's happened a couple of times. Sorry if that put you off...

She rubbed her eyes a bit and chuckled. Being the paranoid freak he is, (Y/N) put to much stock into her breaking line of sight and the slight shudder on her laugh, becoming even more suspicious of her.

(Y/N): Nah, forget it. What brings you out here this late?

Eva: I wanted some fresh air, but I guess I got too comfortable here.

Silence was all that followed for some seconds. (Y/N) wasn't buying her story, and the vibe he had was making Eva a bit conscious of that. In a ditch effort to break that, she sent him a quick question.

Eva: What got you up? Nightmares?

It was just her best guess, what with him being wrapped up in a blanket and armed. Subconsciously seeking safety.

(Y/N): Yeah, something like that. And you? Also nightmares?

Eva: Yes, a very vivid one at that.

...

(Y/N): Well, make sure you're back in a room if you're going to fall asleep again. I'm not sleeping on the couch when there's a vacant bed.

He started walking away, too tired to take any more of this "barely polite" stance this night. The powers that be, however, had other plans for him. Thanks author.

Eva quickly spun around in her chair to face his fleeing form.

Eva: Thank you for helping Jack and I. Even though you all had no reason to help, you still went through all of that. You're all very kind and I appreciate it.

Fuck it, what good would it make to just pretend. (Y/N) had a policy to be as direct with people he didn't want to bother with too much. Besides, he could use some talking with someone he probably wouldn't see again.

(Y/N): Save that gratitude to the others. I couldn't care less about you or that edgy shitstain you call partner. By the way, he's probably off getting himself almost killed again.

Eva: I know, Luca filled me in.  I'm so sorry, but when she said that you all were going the same way he was, I... asked for more help.

(Y/N): Yeah, I guess you would. And don't apologize, can't blame yourself for this... whole mess.

Eva: You're quite kind sometimes, you know. Saying that when I know you don't trust me, that you don't blame me.

(Y/N): Alright, let's get one thing straight right now. I DO blame you for my lack of trust, the two of you tried to kill us for no apparent reason. What I don't blame you for is the fact that I'm going to all these fucked up places.

(Y/N) turns back to the outside area and sits down on one of the chairs, leaning the sword on his chair and rubbing his whole face with his warm hands.

(Y/N): That is on me, because I keep following the undying equivalent of a pack of IDEALISTIC CHILDREN around because I owe them a massive debt!

His tone was growing a bit louder, not in anger or irritation but in sheer disbelief at what his life had become.

Eva: I... guess you relationship with them is not what I first took it for. You're not with them because they're friends or anything?

Wow, (Y/N) is sighing a lot tonight, and this one was really big.

(Y/N): No, I do like them and we're friends, as far as I know at least. I just say things like that to dissociate myself from others, it's some defense mechanism from all the trauma.

Eva: You sound oddly insightful for a traumatized person. They're usually unaware of their behavior, at least in a conscious level.

(Y/N): Years of taking your sister to therapy and being dragged into the sessions, you learn some stuff. I'm surprised I didn't walk out of that room with a psychology degree, after all that time.

Eva: You're actually a very kind person, aren't you? Did your sister also go through a rough time?

The human gets up from his chair, the conversation growing too personal for his comfort.

(Y/N): My "kindness" is a lot like talking about my family, reserved for people I actually like. Now if you excuse me, I should probably rest before tomorrow's rescue.

He makes his way past Eva, who is still sitting, and slowly heads back to his couch/bed. Being so slow meant he didn't manage to avoid one last interaction, which was at least half pleasant.

Eva: Good night. And about tomorrow, than—

(Y/N): Don't. I'm not doing it for either of you. The faster we get your partner back here, the faster I'll never have to see either of you again.

Rooted to his spot, he managed to pick up whatever semblance of politeness he still had in himself for tonight before adding...

(Y/N): Good night to you as well.

And making his way faster to his sleeping spot, leaving Eva to turn back towards the city. She was doing her best to suppress her coughing.

Eva: You won't have to worry about seeing me again, that's for sure...

And so the night ends for most residents of the church, as Eva coughs to herself all alone...

Back within the burning city

(Y/N) had a stone on his hand, tossing it up and catching it repeatedly. He had lost most layers of clothing, choosing to wear only his thinnest short sleeved shirt and the utilitarian cargo pants he unfortunately didn't have an alternative for.

Tossing the stone forward instead of upward, he watches alongside all the revenants (including Sophie) as it hit the ground on one of the spots the group was... apprehensive to step on. The cracked asphalt, giving way to what they could only assume to be hot magma, proved to be exactly as hot as they expected as the stone rolled around while melting at an alarming rate, becoming part of the molten mess in mere seconds.

(Y/N): Well shit. There's no way I'm touching those spots and living. Why's there lava anyways?

Sophie: Actually, I don't think that's lava at all. My studies point to the conclusion that the environments surrounding a successor change to better fit their personality. When they frenzy, this phenomenon get's twisted much like their forms and leads to...

Letting the exited scientist pace around and ramble on with her explanation on why the lava wasn't real lava, but would harm them like real lava nonetheless, the explorers decided that their time was better spent doing actual exploring.

Who would have thought.

Louis: I'll scout ahead while you all try to find a solution to (Y/N)'s mobility issues. Remember, there's no shame in sitting this one out.

As Louis departs, leaving the others to find the obvious alternative by themselves, they watch him pacing quickly around the ground and burning his feet more that he probably should.

Then they talk about the obvious alternative, because that's a bar far too low for anyone not to meet.

Yakumo: I mean, all we have to do is get someone to carry him to the other side, right?

Looking at the others for confirmation, he only gets a dismissive shrug from Luca, Mia being (for some reason) deep in thought, Io staring at nothing in particular and then...

(Y/N): 'Course, why not?

For once not being a complex bitch and taking issue with every second decision the group makes.

Luca: Then, I guess I could—

Yakumo: Hey now, you already carry our expeditions on your back! You don't need this dead weight literally on you.

Yakumo gives a good natured, hearty slap on his human friend's back. That said, beefy men give beefy slaps, and that pushes (Y/N) a few feet forward with a grunt. While (Y/N) turned back to Yakumo, definitely to retort, Io gets beside Luca and tells her something the others can't hear.

(Y/N): Alright, prick, didn't need to say all that.

Giving the people remaining  near him a once over, (Y/N) continues.

(Y/N): That said, it's true that Yakumo can keep me—

Mia: I'm on Yakumo!

Giving no room for conversation, Mia jumps surprisingly high with a somersault and lands almost perfectly on Yakumo's shoulders in a sitting position, almost like a kid and her dad. This time it was Yakumo's turn to be sent stumbling forward, as Mia's whole weight and momentum caught him unaware. He was forced to take his first few steps into the flames.

(Y/N): —away from the fire. Wow that was cool!

Yakumo: Youch, hot hot hot! What was that for?!

Mia: I need the higher ground for sniping, and you're a whole platform by yourself. Besides, Luca's got (Y/N), right?

She turns around and winks at Luca, something that didn't go unnoticed by (Y/N).

Luca: Yup.

(Y/N): Wait, did she wink? Why would she wiiiiIINK?!

With all the experience she had from Io's description, Luca picks up (Y/N) (princess style of course) swiftly and with zero issues, other than the slightly flailing man in her arms being so surprised of course.

(Y/N): HEY! At least put me on your back so you can use your hands!

Luca: We have four other people, all armed and ready. One more won't make much difference.

(Y/N): Right, at least put me on your back so it's not as embarrassing! I'm the taller one here, this is weird.

Io: But you did the same to me last night. It was a very comfortable position to hold me, thank you for that.

(Y/N): You were awake? Guess I don't got it still...

Luca catches onto (Y/N)'s tone, it was way too meek compared to every other time they've spoken. Out of curiosity she glances at his face, and is very pleased with what she finds.

Luca: Are you... blushing?!

Thinking faster than he ever has, (Y/N) comes up with the perfect excuse.

(Y/N): I'm in the middle of a flaming city, of course my face is going to be flushed. Either that or it's the lighting, very orange wouldn't you say?

Luca: Sure...

Continuing to make their way through the sea of fire, Luca learned something new about her favorite human (only human really, but who's mentioning that?). Also that she doesn't like her feet cooked past the point of rare.

Of course, there were lost all around and it didn't take long for one of them to ambush the human carrier. Springing from the flames with a halberd, a lost swings widely at Luca...

Luca: Io, take this guy from me!

Wo has to take some quick evasive maneuvers that put (Y/N) a bit too close to the fire for his comfort...

(Y/N): Ay, watch the fire. Fire. LUCA, FIRE!

To protect himself from fourth degree burns, (Y/N) had to make himself as compact as possible. And when you do that in someone's arms there's a very limited number of way to do that, the quickest one being curling your legs and wrapping your arms around their neck, pressing oneself really close to their body.

While Io drives off the halberdier, (Y/N) has time to take stock of his situation and react accordingly. Short version: he didn't manage to disentangle himself and turn away from Luca before she noticed his reddened face.

Luca: Sorry, I had to dodge pretty close to...

She was taking it all in. Every single inch she could see of this moment would make for great arguments in the future. Not really, but embarrassed man is embarrassed and that's always fun.

(Y/N) saw how she was appreciating the way his blood painted his face.

Fucking vampire.

He musters all the dignity he can (not much, since blushing and clinging to her) and says in a straight tone.

(Y/N): Wipe that dumb grin off your face.

The revenant, who definitely has a grin, tries to play it off.

Luca: Whatever could you mean?

(Y/N): That mask only hides so much. Your eyes tell me everything I need to know.

Luca: You mean to tell me you've been staring deep into my eyes all this time and I didn't notice? I'm so sorry. Here, have a better look.

She get's close to his face. Really close. And there's only so much a human can handle before being too embarrassed, so (Y/N) looks away and lays as flat as he can on her arms as opposed to holding onto her.

(Y/N): I am so getting off of you as soon as there's no more fire on the ground.

Luca: Sure! Whenever you're not in danger by setting your feet down, you can walk on you r own again.

We've all seen that area. The FIRE area.

(Y/N) was in for a LONG ride that day, as the group carries on through the fire and flames...

Author's Notes

I don't even know man, I'm writing too much and most of it ends up being useless. This chapter was twice as long, but that was too much so I decided to split it in two.

Also because successors deserve an exclusive chapter for plot relevance I guess.

I can't stress enough how rushed the relationship with the two person black ops squad is, giving Jack and Eva more time would be great because they can be great characters. But I guess the meet -> fight -> save -> bffs format is all they get.

Anywho, we're getting close to the home stretch where the game get's kinda rushed and the cast gets a whole lot piled on them at once. Hard to believe this is just past the halfway point in the game since we're getting 70% of the plot now.

As always thanks for the support, and until next time...

Peace

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

183K 6K 24
With everyone they care about dead, Clement and (y/n) now have to be on their own and face many dangers along the way as they meet up with a new grou...
5.9K 390 15
*Sequel to Semester in Blood* The Vampire Santos returns to Eden, the city of Vampires, after being buried alive for 100 year: Things have changed. T...
4.2K 83 13
ON HIATUS UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE In the City of Vein, revenants and Lost roam the streets feeding on the blood of humans or blood beads to survive. Out...
65.6K 2.6K 21
[Yandere male werewolf pack x reader] Your friend is a werewolf hunter. First, you never believed in the werewolf nonsense. But when he invites you f...