Running out of time

By UniteTogether

Everything has to meet its end one day, and humanity is not an exception. SCP Foundation is fully aware of th... More

Prologue
Part 1 - Beginning
Part 2 - On the way
Part 3 - Finding our destination
Part 4 - Investigation
Part 5 - Preparations
Part 6 - Operation Mushroom and Abel's confession
Part 7 - What should we do now?
Part 8 - Olivia's story
Part 9 - April Fool's in SCP Foundation
Part 10 - Once upon a time... Myung-Ok's backstory
Part 11 - A secondary character, or the main one?
Part 12 - Something's wrong
Part 14 - Do it or not?
Part 15 - Broken Masquerade
Part 16 - Final attempt
Part 17 - Days before the disaster
Part 18 - That's how passes away glory of this world
Part 19 - Explanation
Part 20 - Secure, Contain, and Protect the world
Part 21 - Changing the world
Epilogue

Part 13 - A dilemma

81 5 2
By UniteTogether

Location: Site-17, United States of America; Wanderer’s Library

Date: 7th-8th April 2022

Dr Clef’s POV:
An unbearable silence filled the entire room, as I told SCPs about what happened to Y/N. Despite O5’s attempts of finding her, we couldn’t locate her in any of our facilities, and she wasn’t present in her room or university either. Furthermore, a tracking device which we gave to her couldn’t be seen anywhere, which meant either it got destroyed, or she was out of detection range. Neither of these options was good for us, but at this point there was nothing we could do, except hoping she would find her way back to us.

Your POV:
I slowly opened my eyes while my back hurt after the fall. I looked around but I couldn’t recognize this place, as I have never been here nor heard about it, but I didn’t want to stay in here forever. Afraid of getting killed by somebody I stood up and started running away as fast as I could, while trying not to find anyone or anything. However, I immediately ran into somebody and fell on the floor, as I accidentally bumped into them. I started apologizing and tried to run away, but she caught me and said to not be afraid, as this place would be safe for me as long as I don’t destroy any books.

I had hundreds of questions in my head which I wanted to ask to her, but before I was able to make a single sentence, a group of people approached me and told me to follow them. I looked at that girl and she said it would be better for me if I fulfilled  their order, so with anxiety I followed them into a large room, where they ordered me to sit down. After few seconds they looked at me and one of them said:

- I am sorry for the inconvenience Mrs Y/N, however it was necessary in order to explain everything to you.

- You pulled me away from my friends and my group, while we were trying to save a universe, what can be more important than this? And secondly, who in the world are you?!

- On the second question I will answer immediately. We are an organization known as Serpent’s Hand, and I can also tell you that you are currently in Wanderer’s Library.

- You answered my another question then, thank you.

- You are welcome. Now about your first question. We pulled you away because we have a way to save everyone from your world and prevent the machine from killing all of you.

- That would be great then, but how do you want to do this?

- We saw the co-operation between you and those, who Foundation calls “SCPs”. We have been watching you for a long time, and we believe, this world shouldn’t be destroyed. It has a great potential, so we have decided to activate a protocol, which your Foundation knows as SCP-6000, and turn your world into a part of our Library.

- What do you mean? How do you want to do that, if this is still a part of our world.

- No, the Library is a place in the Multiverse, which doesn’t belong to any universe. We are going to start transforming your world into a part of us, while this machine will stay behind and get trapped in a complete void, from which it won’t be able to escape. Thanks to that, not only we are going to save your world, but we are also going to save others from the disaster.

- This doesn’t feel right. You want to destroy all the nature and save only people?

- And animals.

- Okay, but still, there has to be another way. Me, Abel, Cain, Iris, Olivia and Myung-Ok are trying to destroy the machine ourselves, and I am sure we are on the right path, but...

- You won’t succeed. We saw this thing destroy two previous universes and we regret we didn’t try to save them. Type 6 civilization tried to destroy it, they had weapons more powerful than yours, but even they failed. At the last day they tried to escape, but they were too slow. One hour earlier, and they would manage to save themselves and hide in a different world.

- We have anomalous weapons in our world, we could ...

- No. I appreciate that you are trying to save everyone and everything, but this is the only way. Olivia won’t destroy this machine without annihilating the entire universe herself, and I doubt this is something you want.

I stayed silent for a long time, because I knew he was correct. Olivia tried so many times, and every time she failed, despite having a great power. At the same time I wanted to try one more time, but I wasn’t sure if we would succeed or not.

- Can you give us one last chance to save this world then? – I asked with hope in my voice.

- It is not going to work, it is better if we start our procedure immediately, in order to...

- How long is this going to take you to finish it?

- For your universe it should take approximately two months, which means if we start now, we should be able to turn your world into a part of us.

- We have 7th April, the annihilation will begin at 7th July. Give us one month to prepare a final attempt of saving this world, please

They looked at each other and after a common consent agreed to give us one more chance in this world. I knew it would be our last attempt, which meant we had to do everything we could in order to prove to Serpent’s Hand, that we were able do it ourselves and we didn’t need them, but deep in my soul I knew a chance for that was extremely low.

The council used their powers to send me back to my world, which made me feel dizzy and I had butterflies in my stomach, but after a brief moment I landed on a floor in cafeteria next to Cain and rest of the group. I was in pain again, as I landed on my back once more, and when everyone saw me, they immediately left their table and came in order to help me.

- Where were you Y/N?! – Cain said with anger and a relief in eyes. – We thought we lost you!

- I was captured by a group called Serpent’s Hand, and they...

- Serpent’s Hand took you?! Did they do anything to you?

- Thankfully no, but they told me about their own plan to save this world, and to be honest, I don’t like it.

- I don’t think you should talk about that in the cafeteria Y/N. I will organize a meeting with O5 council, because I am sure they would want to hear about it.

Having said that he made a call and informed O5s about my return. He has been talking to them for few minutes, and when he hung up, he told us to prepare for tomorrow, as we would meet the council face to face. Instantly I got nervous because I would have to explain to them everything I heard in the Library, but at the same time I was afraid they would accuse me of treason, as they took only me and nobody else.

I spent the rest of this day trying to find one final way of destroying the machine, but despite going through almost all SCP reports since the beginning of this mission, I couldn’t find anything which could help us, and when I finally fell asleep, it was already 2 a.m. As a result, when Abel woke me up at 7 a.m., I was extremely tired and had to drink two coffees in order to regain consciousness.

At 9 a.m. we had a meeting with O5s, and everyone in the group was extremely anxious about how it would go, and when there was 5 minutes until 9 a.m., we went to a conference room, where MTF-Alpha-1 soldiers were waiting for us.

- So he wasn’t joking, they really want to meet with all of you. – One of them said before opening the door and allowing us to step inside.

We went inside and found ourselves in front of thirteen the most powerful people in the world, who ordered us to take seats, while soldiers were aiming at us. They had to make sure nothing bad would happen to the O5 council, but at the same time they were here to protect us in case something terrible happened.

- Good morning. – One of O5s said before looking at me. – We are glad you are back Y/N, however we need to ask you few questions about your disappearance.

- I understand, and I will tell you everything you need to know. – I responded with a calm voice.

- Excellent. We already know everything about incident with SCP-2000, but we have to know, what happened to you?

- I got pulled out of the reality and ended up in a place they called Wanderer’s Library.

- Serpent’s Hand captured you? That’s interesting. What did they tell you?

- They were surprised about our co-operation with Olivia, Cain, Abel, Iris and Myung-Ok, but they said all of our efforts are pointless, as neither of us has enough power to destroy that machine.

- And that’s it?

- No, they also said they would activate a procedure, which we know as SCP-6000.

- That’s... Not good...

- I managed to delay that process by approximately one month, because they agreed to let us perform one final attempt of termination, and if we fail, they will activate it in order to save every living being in this world.

- It means we have one month... And after that, it is over... – He said with sadness and fear in his voice.

- Sir, I would like to say something. – One of MTFs said while looking at the member of the council. – We have SCP-239, a powerful...

- My name is not SCP-239, it is Olivia!

- ... SCP-239  could in theory...

- I told you that this is not my name you idiot! – Olivia screamed at the soldier while pulling a chair and preparing to throw it at him.

- I agree with her, don’t call her 239, call her Olivia. – One of O5s said while trying to calm her down.

- A-Alright... I am sorry Olivia...

- Apology accepted. – She said before putting the chair down and sitting back on it.

- So... In theory Olivia should be able to do whatever she wants with the power of her mind, is that correct?

- True, unless I have to heal myself or if I have to deal with something out of our universe, like this thing for example.

- Cannot you just think and make it, you know, disappear out of existence?

- I tried it already, trust me. It didn’t work.

- She could destroy the machine, but... – I said with hesitation.

- But what?

- But... She would have to sacrifice the entire universe in order to do that.

- The entire world? For a single machine?

- And how many people would you guys sacrifice to kill SCP-682? If I am not mistaken, Dr Kondraki once said, he would sacrifice 80% of the entire world’s population if he could annihilate 682 permanently.

- I wasn’t serious when I said this, and 682 is your brother, so I doubt you would do that.

- Of course I won’t do that, I am just telling you, that everything has its own cost, and destroying this machine is not any different. 343 won’t destroy it, because it will cause a war which will kill an uncountable number of living beings. Only we can do that, but the question remains, how?

- I... Or no, that’s stupid...

- What was your idea Jack Bright?

- Maybe... I know it might sound stupid, but if we fail to destroy this machine, SCP-6000 scenario will begin. But if they start it, they will take the machine into their own world, and do you know how many casualties that will cause?

- Bright... The entire Library has more living beings that millions of universes, if they take it into their world and it somehow activates there...

- They will all die. Exactly. So listen to me carefully, because I won’t repeat myself. If we fail to fulfil our goal, I want Olivia to sacrifice the entire world and destroy this goddamn machine once and for all. Billions of humans will die, even more animals will die, but we will save so many beings and future universes, that this death will be nothing compared to the number of people who can be saved.

- Jack... This is by far, your most crazy idea you have ever had.

- I know, it was stupid, I shouldn’t have said that.

- No, Bright. You are absolutely correct. Even though I don’t want to be the one responsible for all those deaths, you have my approval if we fail.

- Mine too. – Another O5 stood up and looked at Bright. – If we cannot save our own world, then lets save others.

After him, every O5 member gave his approval while we looked at one another unsure what to do.

- Olivia... – One of O5s said while looking at her. – If we fail to destroy it before that thing activates, I want you to sacrifice this universe and destroy that machine once and for all.

- I... I need a break... – Olivia said before running away from the conference room.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

88.2K 1.4K 23
You have been working for enourmous IT corporation. You didn't believe anymore in paranormal things like SCP foundation, because you were too old for...
28K 402 7
The SCP Foundation is an organization of number doctors researchers and agents, aiming to understand and catalog anomalous objects, creature and keep...
2.3K 14 22
y/n is one of the lowest classes you can be in the foundation. And the risk of bringing a D-class is death. and it's bit always so quickly and pain l...
110K 3.3K 30
What happens when a weird yet bad ass with a kind heart girl named Y/N gets dragged off to the foundation and makes friends with some scp? Will she f...