Destined

By pdimitriou2726

His blank face was devoid of any emotion, his green cold eyes, the eyes of a predator, were taking me in. "Do... More

Prologue
Don't Make Promisses You Can't Keep
"Don't Run, Callida, I'll Catch You"
I Will Never Ever Be Yours
Next Time You Offend Me, I Won't Be That Nice
"Couldn't You Learn To Love My Child?"
„I Don't Have To Understand Anything"
"Save Our Child"
"You Are Mine"
„Do I Have A Choice?"
„I Am Not That Cruel"
"Sick Truth"
" A burning Stare"
„You are intriguing"
"You Can't Blind All Men"
"Still There"
"I Have To Warn You"
"We'll See About That"
„No More Dodging The Decision"
"One Step At A Time"
Small author's note
"Who Is We?"
„I Hate Him More"
SHE DOESN'T WANT YOU!
"No regret, no remorse"
" No, Don't"
„Time To Move On"
"From dusk till dawn"
"He Was So Beautiful"
"Don't Get too Cocky"
"There Was More To It"
"Your Testimony Should Be Really Good"
"Can A Dead Man Walk?
A Painful Death
"Your Replacement"
"Let Us Go Now"
Callida's Quest
"You Are Lucky"
"Something Dangerous Is Coming"
"Choose"
"Mo Anam Cara"
"Leggðu frá þér byssurnar"
"Upon My Word"
"This Man Was Really Sick"
"More Answers To Be Found"
"Simply A Better Version..."
"Save Your Destined"
"Let's Have Fun"
"NOBODY Intimidated Yrina"
"The Silent Killer"
"No Beheading Today"
"Nefaria"
"An Unwanted Surprise"
"Harsh Realization"
"Stuck Up In His Head"
""DON'T DO ANYTHING STUPID NOW"
"You Have To Let Go"
" A Cunning Smile"
"Not Now"
"Tonight It Ends"
"The Lord Of Desa Will Be Gone"
"Promise Me"
"Not So Brave Anymore, Huh?"
"Perhaps You'll Hate Me Afterwards"
"I Delayed The Inevitable"
"Who Are They?"
"I Love You Too, Ceallach"
"Never Met A Girl Like You Before"
"A Challenge, That will Change Our Lives"
"We Sacrificed The Humans To Save Humankind
"This Is ...Incredible
"When Will I Meet You?"
„Perfect Soldiers And Strong Working Slaves"
Epilogue: The Power of Love
A new journey starts

"I Went To The Gate"

594 37 8
By pdimitriou2726

As fast as we could, we were out of the castle. Nobody bothered us because the guards recognized me as Gaisgeil's destined. I rushed to my home. I couldn't leave on an adventure with an uncertain outcome without saying goodbye to my grandfather.  Besides, I needed a few things: clothes, a compass, my knives, medicine and medical supplies. 

Conor left to get us horses. He waited for me at the grand gate. It was heavily protected and the only entrance and exit to Gordan. Nobody would enter unsolicited....and everybody who wanted to leave was controlled. Outside of that gate a completely different world began. One of incredible dangers, risks and threats.

We didn't have the weapons, our ancestors had, like fire arms, who killed from a long distance. Those devices were gone. We only had knives, swords, poison darts, battle axts, spears, bows and arrows, sarissas, shields. They were only suitable for short distances.

This was the reason, why only heavily armed troops left for another destination. The Creachadair and the Dhaoine were members of the squads that accompanied and guarded those troops. While the Creachadair had physical characteristics of feline predators like strength, flexibility, claws and fangs, the Dhaoine were like human bulls: big, long hair, incredible bulky and immense strong. It was plain stupid and suicidal for Daonnachd to leave the big cities alone and not in a secured troop.

The big cities like Gordan provided warmth, food and security. Not only were the humanoid creatures partly hostile in Desa, the animals were too. I once read that there was a time, when humans had nearly destroyed the habitat of many animals. 

No natural predators, no big prey, no deep untouched forests. Humans lived mostly in big cities like today. The wildest animals you could face in the remaining woods were boars and foxes. As soon as a few wolves were seen, they were hunted and killed, because mankind was afraid of them. Humans wanted to protect their sheeps, bovines and horses on the grazing land. 

Today we were accustomed to share the lands with wild animals. If you stepped outside of a city you had to be prepared for an encounter.

Like the humanoid forms developed in different ways, the animals did too. Extinct races  resurfaced at one point of history on earth like aurochs, Amur tigers, Megaloceros (those were gigantic deers) and all kinds of wolves. The most dangerous wolves were the Anthropophagos. Their bodies were as big as a grown up bovine. The bite force of their teeth was deadly. 

Once all animal predators had a natural fear of humans. That changed now. They weren't afraid anymore of humans, they didn't flee when seeing other creatures like the Creachadair, Dhaoine or Cuan.  Oh no, on the contrary, they hunted us Daonnachd with special preference. We were on their menu.

But not only dangerous mammals roamed the lands but also birds of prey. Gigantic eagles hunted the sky. Their wingspread were 4 to 5 meters, beaks and claws deadly. They were able to kill a human and to carry the body away.

The sea was another dangerous space. Big predatory fish hunted the waters. The Cuan were very brave to enter their space. I am sure, I wasn't keen to meet those animals. Not at all. But I HAD to reach Bertaèyn. My gut told me, that all secrets could be revealed, that I would be able to find  the keys to the whole puzzle. Perhaps than I'd have all the solutions we needed for a better world. A world without elites. A world without antagonism but instead cooperation and collaboration. 

Conor and I had to be careful in case one of the guards recognized me. Time played against us. Gaisgeil was distracted....but nor for long. After the birth ...the birth of his child, he would realize very soon that I had not kept my promise: to wait for him. 

Gaisgeil - my heart broke speaking his name. I would betray him, abandone him, leave him behind. Call it what you want, it was a breach of trust. How could he ever forgive me? 

I left without a note...he wouldn't know, where I am, if I am safe. But it had to be done for a greater good - for Desa. The less Gaisgeil knew, the better.

I reached my house, hastily opening the door handle. "Granddad? GRANDDAD!", I shouted.

I heard footsteps. "Theos, what happened? Are hungry wolves chasing you, filha?" My grandfather appeared in our little cozy living room.

Without further words I embraced my beloved grandfather, kissing his cheeks, stroking his white beard. He watched me silently, his astonishment changing to comprehesion. 

"You'll leave again?!", he asked in a meek voice. On trembling feet he sat himself in his favourite armchair, tracing my face with his old, tired eyes that still held so much wisdom. My heart clenched. I dearly loved him.

"Why, my filha?"

I sat opposite to him, inhaling. "Consilius told us about his clan, the Bertaèyn."

Bending over, my arms rested on my knees. "Granddad, they have archives in a bunker. Consilius knows more but is unwilling to give his knowledge away. I don't really know what a bunker is, but I have to get there. I must read and search for all the answers we need to make a change in this world - our world. Look, how we Daonnachd live, how the others despise and mistreat us. This must end in some way."

My gandfather's forehead laid in wrinckles. "A bunker...hm. If it really is a bunker with archives than you can bet on it, that there are secrets hidden and well kept."

He searched for any insecurities in my expression...but found none, only determination. "My sweet girl, are you sure, that your mission will make a change? Having answers doesn't mean, that somebody will listen to you. And if somebody would listen...will they change a world, where the strongest survive? Where most creatures live a comfortable life at our expense? We are of no consequence!" 

He leant back in his seat. "Callida, leaving Gordan could mean...your death. Who will guard you? Your destined?"

My eyes lowered to the ground. "No, he doesn't know...", I muttered.

"Callida, no way am I letting you go. No, I ..."

"Granddad, Conor will accompany me. He is a strong hybrid and can defend us. He ...he is Amarin's twin with the same skills." My granddad was speechless. I nodded. "Secrets, whereever you turn." My eyes suddenly widen. "Perhaps the Laidir would help me? The coven is on our way...!?"

Grandfather nodded. ""But you have to get their first, child", he was huffing. "Please, Callida, stay, talk to your destined. Maybe he will help?"

I shook my head. "He won't. At the moment he is preoccupied with the birth of his child. I don't want to beg for his support. It's better that way."

Finally my grandfather gave in, helping me to fetch all needed equipment. "Don't forget the Belladonna, it helps against feever and flu infections." I took the littel pouch, stuffing it into my backpack.

Embracing my grandfather, I cried silent tears. Would we meet again? Should I back out of my plans?

"Please, come back to me alive and kicking - promise!", he begged in despear.

I nodded, whiping my tears away. Our foreheads rested at each other in silence. "I'll always come back to you, I love you granddad."

Turning ultimately away I took my backpack and case heading to the door.  At the doorstep I halted. With one last look at my grandfather I closed the door silently behind me.

I wore a heavy cloak with a hood, that I pulled over my head. Several creatures on the streets bumped into me, growling in warning. I was an annoying nuisance to them. 

I felt all the more, that my mission was right. As I neared the gate, I saw Conor at a blacksmith. He had two wondeful black horses in row. His eyes wandered over the poeple and creatures as if searching for someone. When his eyes landed on me, he smiled.

"Are you ready for our adventure, Callida? Now is the last time to withdraw...", he said, turning serious.

I shook my head "no", looking at the open grand gate. An eerie feeling swept over me. Was I digging my own grave? Am I stupid?

But than that feeling faded. I could stay here and live a supressed and undetermined life at Gaisgeil's side. Always dependent on him and his goodwill to change things for us Daonnachd.

I didn't want that: I wanted freedom and autonomy. So I took the horse rein Conor was offering me and went to the gate.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sarissa= Old Greek= Spear

Anthropophagos: Greek= Maneater

If you don't remember anymore:

Dhaoine= Gaelic= People

Laidir= Gaelic= strong 

Theos= Greek= God

Filha= Portuguese= Daughter

If you liked what you read, please vote for this story! 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

5.1M 199K 55
My name is Calla Lind. For 20 years, I have lived within the shadow of my beautiful older sister - chasing and holding onto an illusion of love. A lo...
218K 12.4K 47
It was on the 500th century of hell that I saw my salvation. He had walked in with a devilish smirk and sharp features. He had walked into my hell...
270 20 14
"I may seem like a cold and distant person, but when it comes to you, I can't help but feel things I've never felt before. You bring out the best in...
3.7M 137K 55
My name is Calla Lind. Ever since my reawakening, I have live my life the way I wanted. I was able to be Calla, meet people as Calla, and have people...