Five Streamers, Six Guardians

By ashes_of_burnt_ivy

Five streamers fluttering across the world - meant to strike fear into the hearts of those who dared try to r... More

a new companion? (Jean-Pierre)
fish (Jean-Pierre)
within the shrine (Jean-Pierre)
copen makes several bad decisions in rapid succession (Jean-Pierre)

Defeated, but not quite dead (Jean-Pierre)

149 1 0
By ashes_of_burnt_ivy

a/n: this au idea has been stuck in my head for at least a month now and i've begun writing it so naturally everyone must deal with me and my self-indulgent au fic that i'm choosing to spend way too much time and energy on (i literally have certain things planned out from a gameplay perspective and from a webcomic perspective, it's a fair assessment at this point). i'd say i'm sorry but i'm really not. essentially this au is just the brainchild of 'i wanted to write about my los throughout pmtok (but i really don't want them dying again so early' and 'okay but...my los but sort of redeemed antagonists who eventually join Mario and Olivia as partners? sort of?? maybe?? perhaps we'll see'

ik a lot of this is probably ooc or makes no sense but honestly? i am just having fun with this and i've already written two whole chapters of this idea and have started on the third, so...i'm not changing it lol. i tried to make it work, but i'm not sure how well i did so eh? ig it doesn't matter too much since this is au territory anyways. plus it'd honestly work out better with the way my los are and with their whole backstories, anyways. some specific things will be explained as i go though (like the aftermath of their defeats, the streamers, etc). so i hope y'all enjoy this self-indulgent mess of a fanfic? outside of Dragonspeaker this is getting most of my attention so i'm probably going to be working on this for a while

and just as a note for reference, Jean-Pierre (CP) uses he/she/they but i mainly use they/them for Jean within their own narration (partially for consistency and partially because that's what he'd mainly use when referring to themself - other characters will use other sets more ofc). i say this mainly because the first couple of chapters will be in her pov and i mainly just want to do the los' povs. Jean and Robin (Rubber Band, cele/they) are also siblings as another note

---

They woke up to a sharp pain searing through their body. It shot mostly through their arms and chest - the most injured part of them, Jean-Pierre would assume. The pain in their...well, everything, refused to numb. It was the kind of pain that one would assume an ice pack could help, but it seemed mighty worthless in Jean-Pierre's case. Whatever they tried to do, it was greeted with a brand new surge of agony in their chest. No amount of ice would help numb their pain, they guessed.

So they instead forced themself to wake up fully.

What had happened to them to bring them such violent hurt? They...honestly weren't too sure. Obviously it had to be some sort of fight, as the way the pain presented itself rang familiar to the wounds of past battles they fought in. But why would they be fighting again...?

...Scratch that, maybe it wasn't as important yet. Where were they? Their eyes were snapped shut - Jean-Pierre didn't particularly desire to keep them open when they felt that the slightest movement would cause further disarray within their body. But they could hear a faint breeze whistling in their ears, carrying the songs of the nearby birds. Disregarding the fuzzy inside of the gloves they had on, the ground beneath them was cold and smooth, and hard to the touch. Hmm. Definitely not on any sort of soil, then.

Probably some kind of building. It didn't give them any more of a clue as to where they were, however - until they felt a small strip of fabric land on their nose. What is-?

They slowly peeked an eye open to see that the fabric was in fact, a red bit of confetti. T-that's...part of the streamer, isn't it? The streamer...they had been guarding it, hadn't they? Not for fun or anything like that, they had been tasked with that job - not that they seemed to have done a good job of it, bits of streamer scattered across the concrete floor. Bits of the spool accompanied it, though they quickly dissolved into...well, Jean-Pierre wasn't sure. It was some kind of yellow aura, they were certain, but that was it.

That's right...I was ordered to guard this streamer. By King Olly. And by gods, they did an awful job of it. It was now torn to pieces, the most imposing thing about it long gone - unless one were to think raining confetti was the most terrifying thing of the century. The spool itself seemed to be smashed to pieces. As it stood, the red streamer was almost entirely gone. They had failed.

Oddly enough, Jean-Pierre didn't feel all that cut up about it. A loss on their otherwise clean battle streak? It was filthy to imagine - how could any self-respecting soldier like themself tolerate it? Not only that, but they were injured badly. Even if they had gotten rusty since, it was embarrassing and gave them no excuse, really. But that was the truth, plain and simple. They didn't feel all that ashamed of their loss, despite it being one that they shouldn't have lost to begin with. If anything, it felt more relieving to know they lost.

It was against...Mario and Olivia, wasn't it? They knew Olivia at least - if they were remembering correctly, she was the king's sister. So...she's rebelling, is she? It put a sour taste in their mouth - before this, most of the battles they'd fought were against a rebellion. They rarely lost a battle against traitors like them. How could they lose so pitifully? They...still had no idea.

It was only two people. I have missiles, for Deluge's sake! Sure, one of them was only a child (if Olly's own age said anything), but...gods, did their wounds hurt. They had to have had something up their sleeves. Jean-Pierre slowly sat up, gently removing the fabric on their nose. Almost as soon as they touched it, it dissolved into a small cloud of yellow dust. It really is gone. They sighed, rubbing their gloved hands. I've failed another king.

But despite all of that...they still didn't feel any shame or guilt crushing them from the inside out. The most anger they could hold about it was that it was against another person who was a rebel, or that they had managed to fail yet another monarch - but even then, it...felt empty. Their head felt light and fuzzy, though they weren't sure if it was because of the injuries, or the empty feelings. Maybe it was both. The only thing they could pinpoint about it was how reminiscent the feeling was whenever they had calmed down from a fit of rage or frustration. Any anger they currently held onto was more mild-mannered, barely enough to fill the now empty pit of fury within themself. Instead it chose to manifest in the form of their injuries, sharp with pain.

"Huh?"

They perked up upon hearing the voice - that certainly wasn't theirs. It was familiar, however. Is that...? Surely enough, their opponents were in front of them - Olivia and Mario. Both of them...were still on the tower. How long was I out? It couldn't have been too long, could it?

Regardless, it didn't matter much. They were still at the tower, with Jean-Pierre in front of them. Are they going to attack more, or...? They couldn't be too sure - they doubted that they'd continue fighting an already injured opponent, but then again...they were just about to murder them for Olly.

"W-wait, I thought we beat you!" Olivia yelped, jumping back a bit. Mario was less so, but Jean-Pierre could detect the wariness in his gaze.

Jean-Pierre shifted into a crouch, inching away ever so slightly. "I...believe so. What of it?"

Olivia's gaze briefly darted to the place where the spool was once perched, then back to Jean-Pierre. "M-my brother's streamer was destroyed, though! After we beat you, I assumed you'd disappear with it..."

They shook their head. "I'm sorry to disappoint, but no." Hesitantly, they stood up - their legs ached even more as they did so, however. Mario took a defensive stance as they did so. "My life wasn't tethered to the streamer. So I would guess I not." Olly did imply that I'd likely end up dead again if it disappeared, though...but I'm still here. At least I didn't end up dying of these wounds, but...

Still in shock, Olivia gestured to the fallen backpack near Jean-Pierre's feet. "B-but we used your own missiles to defeat you!" Jean-Pierre briefly looked down at their feet - surely enough, there were several bits of graphite littering the floor, covering it with multicoloured freckles. That...would explain most of my injuries. "So how...?"

"I..." The words were caught in their throat - they didn't get how they survived, either. In their previous life, they were quickly slain by cowardly rebels during a one on one fight. So maybe it wasn't a total surprise they lost. But to survive their own injuries? Jean-Pierre had always thought something like that to be a joke. "I don't know how, either. But I'm not dead, and that's all that matters."

The origami princess bit her bottom lip, nervously glancing at Mario, then back at Jean-Pierre. "A-are you going to try and fight us again? Because we can definitely take you! Right, Mario?" The red-capped plumber gave a curt nod.

Should I? I mean, if I fight smart enough I could finish them off... No, it wasn't worth the battle. They were heavily injured enough, and they'd only be fighting a pointless battle. The red streamer was gone. Though the other four streamers still fluttered in the wind, what was the point of Jean-Pierre doing anything more? They couldn't make a quick trip to the castle or any of the other spools - they weren't particularly fond of the location Olly chose to put the castle, for starters. And the other streamers...there was a whole body of water keeping them from the nearest streamer, the one their younger emmer was guarding - the blue streamer. Their partners' streamers were further, Holt's being further in the Scorching Sandpaper Desert, and Taniel's being on the Sea Tower that was located near the edge of the sea. Saxen's was directly above Taniel's - there wasn't much of an option for helping the others. And now that the red streamer's gone, I don't think I can contact them. They probably think I'm dead.

And really...was there much of a point in trying to defend the other streamers? If Mario and Olivia were able to quickly use Jean-Pierre's own missiles against them, then there wasn't much doubt in their mind that the same would happen to the rest of the legion. They, alongside Saxen and Harlow, were the few members of the legion that were more well-versed in combat. While they were certain that Robin, Holt, and Taniel could hold their own for a bit...they weren't sure for how long. Robin would be more into directing celes plays than defending the streamer, Holt would be more focused on xyr family matters, and Taniel...he's probably injured himself badly by now, doing something stupid. Then there was Saxen and Harlow - they were strong, sure, but only fifteen. Only a year older than Olly himself, most likely. The two were bound to suffer in their own unique ways due to it. Even with the power granted to them by Olly...Jean-Pierre didn't imagine there would be much hope for them, if Mario somehow managed to survive Jean-Pierre's onslaught of missiles. Morbid and a defeatist outlook for certain, but it was difficult to imagine things going any better for the others when they were beaten so badly.

Or maybe I'm just the weakest of us all. It wasn't their most favoured outcome, but it wouldn't surprise them if that was the case. Perhaps that's why I got sent to defend this streamer in particular. If it was the case...then seeing it no longer in the air gave Jean-Pierre just a smidge of vindication. At least it wasn't in their face any more, screaming that they were the weakest. The idea of it stung Jean-Pierre, implying that Olly knowingly would send Jean-Pierre off despite that - they weren't sure if the red streamer's disappearance made them feel more spiteful, or ashamed of themself. But if that's the case...then I doubt I should still be alive. I still don't get how revival works, but...I know it shouldn't make me invulnerable to death.

I guess I'll figure that out at some point, if I don't die again today.

Crossing their arms, Jean-Pierre met their gazes. "That'd be a pointless battle. I know when to quit."

Olivia looked like she was about to retort something for a split second, right before realising what Jean-Pierre was saying. "Wait, seriously? You aren't lying or trying to trick us?"

They couldn't help but feel a prick of annoyance with her. I'm injured and the red streamer's gone. I don't have any need to trick them! Besides, if they were to continue the battle...they'd rather just shoot the two down right away, and hope for the best. And that's assuming my missiles still work... However, they supposed they understood why Olivia was suspicious - they'd just tried to strike them down, all in Olly's name. But still...

"No. There's not much of a point to continue this battle when the red streamer is gone," they said evenly, pushing away the frustration lingering in their chest. I mean, there's the other four streamers, but... "And I need the time to recover from our battle - you clearly won."

Still frowning, Olivia's wariness didn't shift all that much. "Okay, but...what about everyone else in the tower? You...aren't going to do anything to them, are you?"

Jean-Pierre glanced up at where the streamer spool once sat, before shrugging. "There's no point in that either. I've already failed Olly, I'm sure he could care less about what I do now." Does he think I'm dead? Or does he know I'm not really dead yet?

They really wished they knew for sure. All they could guess was that Olly was fuming over the loss of the red streamer - they were unsure if Olly cared much for their safety, or if he cared more for the fact that they failed to stop Mario and Olivia. Or maybe he was expecting it.

Regardless of Jean-Pierre's bitter assumptions, the fact remained that the streamer was destroyed, and Jean-Pierre was somehow still alive - despite the warnings of how their life would depend on the streamer to some degree if they chose to guard it, and despite their own missiles being countered back at them. And the only anger that remained within them was the hint of the sour aftertaste of being defeated by yet another rebelling force. It was an empty loss, really - and one that lifted their burden.

"Huh? But you said- the streamer and Olly, it's-" Olivia began, only to cut herself off. "Weren't you doing this all for Olly?"

Returning their gaze to her's, Jean-Pierre exhaled quietly. "I was. But this battle's outcome, it..." Was it really the battle, though? They weren't sure. They dug their hands into the pockets of their pants. "Well, whatever it was that made this one different, I'm not particularly inclined to keep this battle going. It's not like you two would even give me the chance to get to any of the other streamers, anyways. I've already failed Olly, so I doubt I'd be of much use to him. I'm sure he won't mind never seeing me again."

The expression of confusion on Olivia's face still remained, though Jean-Pierre could detect a hint of pity. Why, though? Her brother ordered me here to stop her and Mario... "I-if you say so. What are you going to do, then?"

That's...a good question. It wasn't something they consciously thought of often, if at all - back when Jean-Pierre was first revived, they hadn't figured out what they'd do in the hypothetical situation where Olly would conquer the rest of the world for his origami kingdom. They hardly thought of their future profession back in their previous life, either. Then again, those times were during war, so they supposed it wasn't the strangest thing in the world. The thought of pursuing art as a career sometimes lingered in the back of their head, but it wasn't one that they'd take seriously for themself. And I can't just go into something like that so soon after all of this...

So maybe not art. Or at least, not just yet.

Maybe I could just try to see Robin before something similar happens to celes, they thought, unable to shake off the idea. Robin was guarding the blue streamer, true, but if they were able to get there on time...maybe Jean-Pierre could spare celes the embarrassment and pain of being beaten with such ease? They knew Robin was powerful in celes own way, but cele rarely spent much time specifically focusing on combat. And I really don't want anything happening to celes...cele's my little emmer.

At the very least, maybe they could do that. Find Robin, go somewhere safe from everyone else, and figure things out from there. They weren't all too sure how the others would feel about it, but they knew Olly would be less than pleased. But as long as Robin's safe...that won't matter all too much. I don't want to give up on her again.

"I don't know," they answered upon realising Olivia was still waiting for their response. Their gaze drifted to the blue streamer. "I might go find my younger emmer. I'll...work things out from there."

"Is...your emmer near the blue streamer, by any chance?" Olivia asked, the hesitance in her voice the most evident thing about it.

Should I tell them...? The answer that immediately came to mind was no...but that would be the least believable thing they'd have said yet. Or one of them, anyways. They weren't going to risk that. It'd be overly suspicious for them to say that, and if they went now, then...who was to say the two wouldn't follow them? Not to mention, there's that whole body of water to get anywhere closer to it... Perhaps a half-truth would be better. Not too revealing, and less of a risk for being followed.

They decided leading into their answer with a question was better, however. Safer. "Why do you ask? Were you...planning on taking down that one next?"

Olivia glanced over at Mario, who nodded. So I don't have much time. I might've lasted in this battle, but...who knows if Robin might in celes own battle. If they were to go after celes, then they needed to increase the initial pace they would've gone at. Find a quicker way across the water, trek the mountainside, make sure I'm not caught... By the water spirit, they couldn't do that all too quickly. It relied on too many chance variables for it to work perfectly. Robin and Taniel might enjoy testing their luck, but I'm not.

"In that case, let's just say it's likely," they admitted, choosing their words carefully. Their cautious wording seemed to be to no avail, as the two quickly became just a smidge more suspicious. Damn. "Relax. I'm already injured as is."

The suspicion didn't leave their faces, but Olivia had more concern mixed in. "Wait, shouldn't you rest a bit before going-?"

Probably. "Perhaps, but I'm certain it will take longer to find a place where I won't disturb anyone. There are only so many places in the area that people wouldn't normally go to." They sighed to themself, shaking their head. "I'd rather just deal with getting to Autumn Mountain now rather than later. Maybe that tram near the tower base." I don't think they'll let me go on it, though. Either they'll scream at me in terror, or anger. Maybe both.

Grimacing, Olivia gave the ground beneath them a quick glance. "By yourself?" It seemed that she wanted to ask another question, likely out of clarification, but thought better of it.

I don't get why she's concerned about me. Minutes ago I wouldn't have hesitated to kill them both. Regardless of why, they weren't sure if it was more of a blessing or more akin to a curse. It's better than getting my ass handed to me two times in a row, I suppose.

Jean-Pierre let their shoulders slump slightly, feeling the light curves on their lips dig deeper into their face. "Hngh...when you put it like that, no, it's not ideal. I might get chased away." I mean, I could always force my way on, but...that might arouse some issues.

The worst part was that those issues were extremely likely. Mario and Olivia would notice that at some point, and the Toads would cause a stir if they were to do so. Which...well, they were in enough pain already. Combined with the outraged or terrified shrieks of the Toads, another battle with Mario would probably kill them for good - both through excruciating wounds and an equally painful splitting headache.

Wait, they are headed to take down the blue streamer. After the ride to Autumn Mountain was finished, they'd probably head directly to the spool for the streamer...where Robin likely still was. Jean-Pierre wasn't sure where exactly the spool was placed, but they wouldn't be surprised if it was somewhere near Shogun Studios. Robin had insisted on at least having celes streamer placed somewhere entertaining if cele had to do any guarding, back when the whole legion and Olly were finalising locations for the streamer spools. And if that hunch is correct, then several, unfolded residents would be there...even if it's under celes control, that probably won't stop them from trying to get rid of me if they recognise me or realise I'm trying to get to celes.

Blinking slowly, a sudden realisation dawned upon them. They tried to hold back the immediate rush of exhilaration as they thought it over. Maybe letting them know my intention to go find Robin was a good call after all.

"Wait," they began, snuffing out the giddy anxiety urging on their racing heartbeat. "You two are going to Autumn Mountain, correct? Perhaps I could stick with you until then. After all, we both want to get there as soon as possible without too many troubles."

Olivia jerked back a bit. "I-is that a threat?"

Jean-Pierre raised an eyebrow. "Did you want it to be one?"

"No!" Olivia shot back, horrified. "Just...wait a few seconds, please?"

Jean-Pierre shrugged, unfazed by her sudden lack of composure - they were used to a similar sort of behaviour from Olly, though Olly made much more of an attempt to squash it down. They are siblings, after all. I'd expect them to have at least one thing in common. Regardless, they felt a smidge bad for their initial response to her. Perhaps I should hold off on things like that for now. If I want to get to Robin sooner rather than later, then I'll probably need to.

While Jean-Pierre stood back and watched, Mario and Olivia exchanged a wary look, which soon morphed into a quiet discussion. Or at least, something that resembled one. They couldn't quite pick up on what Olivia was saying, and on the other hand, Mario was mostly silent. All Jean-Pierre could really assume was that the conversation was about them. At least they seem to be considering it. If Jean-Pierre was being honest with themself, they were more surprised about that than anything. They'll probably decline, though. So I need to prepare to take a different approach if not, or if this idea ends on a sour note... Eventually the two seemed to stop talking, having come to some agreement.

Olivia was the first to turn back to them, still wary. "Alright...you can come with us, but we'll be ready if you try anything!"

Like I'd want to, after that battle. Still, they were mildly relieved that the two agreed to it - though they both were obviously still wary and suspicious of Jean-Pierre, it was something. And besides, I don't expect them to trust me at all. Which was...well, it did sting a bit, oddly enough. Not that it matters. I can get to Robin without as much trouble before something bad happens to celes.

"Thank you," they replied, forcing their voice to remain even. As long as they didn't prove to be too much of a threat to anyone, they should be able to find Robin and get out quickly - though their attempts at doing so seemed to result in mostly failure, if Mario and Olivia's expressions told them anything. Well, that won't matter once I get to Autumn Mountain. "Well, then. Shall we get going?"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

9.3K 212 18
I'm in love with these goofy mother fuckers so ima do q little oneshot series of just them maybe I'll make a story of them later on :D 🌈REQUESTS QRE...
27.9K 530 15
The Power Puff Girls and the Rowdy Ruff Boys have finally found peace within each other and surprisingly even love. With the exception of Blossom an...
5.3K 225 34
Yes... apparently I am doing this now... the idea came to my head, and I was like; 'nope. Not doing it.' But the idea wouldn't leave my head, and now...
1.8K 8 24
injoy I don't know I want to do it I think about it