Ink Lines

By ShenWeiLightning

It's been thirteen years since Lan Zhan was last in a room with Wei Wuxian, but its been five minutes since h... More

Chapter 1. Present Day
Chapter 2. One Year Ago - Caiyi City
Chapter 3. One Year Ago - Jiang Yanli
Chapter 4. One Year Ago - Found
Chapter 5. One Year Ago - August into September
Chapter 6. Reasons
Chapter 7. October Meetings - 9 Months Ago
Chapter 8. November Tea - 8 Months Ago
Chapter 9. January- Fierce Little Tiger
Chapter 10. Five Months Ago -February
Chapter 11. Five Months Ago- February P2
Chapter 12. Five Months Ago - February P3
Chapter 13. Four Months Ago - March
Chapter 14. Three Months ago- Beginning of April
Chapter 15. Three Months Ago-April
Chapter16. Three Months Ago - April
Chapter 17. Three Months Ago - April
Chapter 18. Two Months Ago - Early May
Chapter 19. One Month Ago. June
Chapter 20. June - Brothers
Chapter 21. June: Force of Nature
Chapter 22. June: Nie Sect
Chapter 24. Wen Qing
Chapter 25. June: Grey Eyes
Chapter 26. Your Edges Are A Mirror of Mine
Chapter 27. June. Let's Start A War
Chapter 28 Nie Sect Upending
Chapter 29. Lotus flowers
Chapter 30. Crashing Down - Meet Me There
Chapter 31 June: Foxfire
Chapter 32 Jiang Cheng
Chapter 33
Chapter 34 June: Murder
Chapter 35: Plan ahead

Chapter 23. June: Feels Like A Dream

176 24 8
By ShenWeiLightning

Wei Ying was not an early riser.

He hadn't been when they were teenagers in Gusu and that hadn't changed. For Sizhui, he was really trying and it was adorable.

For the last four days, Lan Zhan had woken at dawn to a blissful life beyond the scope of his wildest dreams. He was living with Wei Ying. In his home as his guest, freely able to witness the love of his life doing all the mundane domestic things that had cherished meaning simply because Wei Ying was...Wei Ying. And it was bliss. And a nightmare.

It was living in a dream and wishing to never wake. Lan Zhan thought as he looked out over the lakes and the grandeur of Lotus Pier in the distance. It was precious. Memories to hold in his heart and cradle in his hand when the world inevitably fell apart again.

It was joy, unfettered and pure.

It was walking barefoot on sharp rocks. 

Because he was here on a vacation that had an end date.

Because he was here to protect Wei Ying. From behind his back, which was so underhanded. With everything he does here in Yunmeng, each action has ulterior motives. Yes, ones to save Wei Ying's life, but still it was behind his back and no amount of justification would allow this to sit well in his heart. 

He couldn't keep this dreamlike life. It wasn't his to keep in the first place.

The masochistic part of himself fell easily into this world, where he just as easily found roles for himself to fulfill. Like making breakfast and after a few careful questions, Sizhui's lunch for nursery.

His life in SCD and still as the Second of Gusu was busy, leaving him very little time for more than sleep, cultivation and meals with his brother, when he wasn't working. So taking this time to share these special moments with Wei Ying and A-Yuan was a balm to his battered, tired soul.

He often imagined what this might be like and the reality of watching Wei Ying stumble from his bedroom, grey eyes half open until his fourth cup of tea, hair a bird nest, every third word a mumble...too asleep to work out why there was tea in front of him....

Watching his longer hair fall along his neck, eyes barely open....

It was simply too much to cherish for one heart. He found himself sitting at the little table in the kitchen smiling at the warm, rumpled, adorable man in front of him.

Sizhui rose from bed at a good time for his age and would come into the kitchen yawning but happy. He had hugged Lan Zhan's good leg every single time, calling out "Jiaofu!" and would kiss his Baba's cheek in greeting, reaching up to him in the kitchen chair.

"Baba's not really awake." He'd say warmly, with the honesty of a four year old. "He'll be awake in a little while. Gumo says good things take time."

His Baba, who on Lan Zhan's second morning had designed an array on the table with spilled tea, eyes barely open so only a hint of silver could be seen. His Baba, who thunked his head beside his creation and nodded off for ten minutes. Lan Zhan had panicked as he fell forward and caught his head in his hands, cradling his precious skull, rooted to the spot as if he had been welded in place.. .

His Baba, who would suddenly snap to as if slapped and launch from the table. Like a athlete or modernist dancer, he would whirl from room to room, somehow managing to shower, dress, gather relevant supplies, down his captured mug of tea and reappear as if summoned, looking half-crazed. In twenty minutes.

Sizhui clearly used to this, would just look from his congee and say sweetly, "Breakfast time Baba."

Then, Wei Ying would smile and the entire world could burn and Lan Zhan would miss it.

"Lan Zhan! You cooked! Have you been standing on your leg too much?"

"Aiya Lan Zhan this is supposed to be a vacation!"

"You must rest that leg! Sit down, sit down!"

"Lan Zhan this is amazing!"

"A-Yuan, what are we going to do when he leaves us?"

Only once had Wei Ying seemed unhappy, the anniversary of his adoptive parents' murder hanging close. The answer he'd found was to distract him, and just hover near.

Wei Ying would drop Sizhui off at his nursery on the days he went to Yunmeng's Furong office. On his 'free' days and most of his nights, he was running Lotus Pier as Jiang Cheng's second. Training the disciples, advancing his own cultivation and... spending time with Lan Zhan.

If Lan Zhan was not already in love with him, he would have fallen by now. 

And within two days, his love for A-Yuan expanded even more. This precious little boy was in his heart as a son and Lan Zhan would do anything for him.

For an outsider's perspective, he was here in Lotus Pier as a guest, to recuperate from his injuries and to take this time to visit his old friend, to get to know his godson. While true, for Lan Zhan he was also here to prevent the destruction of the Jiang family and the self-destruction of Wei Ying.

Jiang Cheng had been surprisingly welcoming, his arm still suspended in a sling as his bullet wound healed. He offered to let him stay in Lotus Pier itself,  but Wei Ying was sweetly adamant that Lan Zhan was remaining with him at the house across the water. Jiang Yanli seemed helplessly amused and overly happy with this development, smiling at them.

What stood out that day, was Wei Ying when he returned from taking Lan Xichen to the airport. Every moment they spent together, Wei Ying looked like he wanted to say something or ask something and yet never said the words. A bizarre state for someone so free, so talkative. Stalling and rending yourself mute was Lan Zhan's specialty.

Interrogating Brother went nowhere, who deviated the conversation expertly and before long Lan Zhan was listening, to Brother counsel him on supporting Wei Ying as the anniversary neared.

Jiang Yanli had welcomed him as he was another brother, clearly trying not to fuss over his broken leg and for his first day had invited him to a lunch on the pier itself. Lan Zhan had spend the entire time trying not to smile at Wei Ying and tried to focus on helping Sizhui with his chopsticks. This seemed to endear him to Jiang Yanli even more.

But living with Wei Ying...

He comes home to Lan Zhan.

Wei Ying is often tired, but his smile is so sweet. He revels in Lan Zhan's cooking, his conversation...they play music together, video games together...and Lan Zhan had been given the immense privilege of watching him paint...

How can he not wish this was his life?

What would he not give up to have this as his life?

==

His crew have discovered that Lanling SCD has set up surveillance on Wei Ying and the Jiang siblings, trailing them everywhere they go. It's not a surprise, in fact it is exactly as he was expecting...but it still has his fists clenching.

Everything the Wen have openly done and the barest hint of suspicion on the Jiang siblings, who have already suffered so much, has an army of people looking for the 'truth'.

All the things they have accused them of, they will find not one proof for. Especially the one crime they did genuinely commit. The murder of Wen Chao. So the option, the only one they have, is to plant evidence.

Set a trap and let the Jiang take the fall. He has to prevent this at every cost.

The Jiang, especially Jiang Cheng usually has an entourage when they head to the office, made up of the upper tier of disciples assigned by roster, after the latest run in with the Wen. Sizhui only leaves Lotus Pier accompanied by Wei Ying himself or Jiang Cheng. Same with Jin Ling.

Wen Qing works at the Lotus Pier medical center and at Yunmeng hospital, dropped off and collected by a Jiang disciple for safety. Wen Ning travels with Jiang Yanli usually.

Slowly, Lan Zhan maps their schedules and all the likely places a trap could be laid. The bakery is one for Jiang Yanli. Jiang Cheng visiting Yunmeng on his appointed Sect Leader days. A Night Hunt with either brother. Jiang Cheng on a date with Wen Qing. These are potentially vulnerable moments, that need to be shielded against attack. 

Wei Ying has meals regularly with his siblings, but lives across the water in the converted apartment building, traveling by boat or sword. He has the entire upper floor, divided into his art studio and living quarters with Sizhui. The lower floor had three apartments really and the largest one currently belongs to Nie Huaisang, who lives here as an honor disciple.

The courtyard where Wei Ying used to live with Jiang Cheng, is now housing several former Wen and Wen Ning in particular.

Sitting in one of the pavilions, his guqin before him and Wei Ying lounging on one of the benches in the sunshine, - too beautiful to be real by far - Lan Zhan had distracted himself from his endless longing, by asking about the Dafan Wen.

If he feared Wei Ying would be angered or upset by the question, he had no need to fear. Wei Ying had only lowered his flute and smiled wistfully.

"It's all Jiang Cheng." He said proudly.

"Our sect is still one of the biggest in the jianghu," He added without shame, but he wasn't bragging. The Yunmeng Jiang were in fact larger than the Gusu Lan by number alone, another reason why both the Jin and Wen were determined to bring them down.

"But," Wei Ying had said looking out over the water, "Our clan family is...well its just A-Cheng, Jiejie and...me. Now Sizhui too of course. My Little Radish will be Sect Heir if Wen Qing and A-Cheng decide not to have kids. But...everyone else is..." Wei Ying didn't finish his sentence, a mournful light coming into his grey eyes.

Desperate to shove past the grief clinging to his gaze, Lan Zhan quickly asked, "But now you've added the Dafan to your family?"

Perking up, Wei Ying smiled sweetly. "Ah yes. A-Cheng found out that as a Sect Leader he can adopt people legally into the Clan without asking anyone's permission. As long as they are in the Family Book, and the local magistrate signs for it, anyone can legally be Jiang family."

"Wen Ruohan never paid any attention to the lives of the Dafan, beyond wanting to eliminate them for being the actual heirs to the sect. They are the main, original you could say, family line of the Wen Sect. He never cared they are doctors, teachers and artists. Only Wen Qing and Wen Ning actually practiced cultivation full-time. The ones he failed to kill are barely cultivators."

"All of them are Jiang now. The Dafan Wen have been absorbed entirely into our clan."

"You saved them Wei Ying." He told him gently, but he only smiled.

Having met all of them, Lan Zhan could see why Jiang Cheng was eager to help them, beyond any debt he owed Wen Qing. They were incredibly kind, jovial and hard-working people who fitted into the motto and creed of the Jiang well. Some were working in the Sect medical center, others had taken land and were transforming the burnt remains into orchards or memorial gardens and one of them Uncle Four as Wei Ying called him, was working as a horticulturalist on the lotus fields. To hear the man talk, you would never know he had been born on a mountainside.

As horrible as it sounded, the main tier of the Jiang Sect disciples were dead, so no one knows that they not related.

Its early evening on the third day and Lan Zhan is sitting with A-Yuan in the middle of the living room, a large blue bunny toy on the sofa.

He could imagine sitting here on this red rug for the rest of his life, looking up at Wei Ying's artwork and the ancient rafters above, a languid happiness spreading through his body. Wei Ying's home has a warmth to it, comfortable and eclectic with A-Yuan at the heart of it.

Straightening his cast bound leg, he plucks a simple melody on his guqin, guiding tiny hands they follow. A-Yuan's joy is such a beautiful thing, his fascination with the guqin a source of endless amusement for Wei Ying. 

They are playing a child's lullaby when he feels something change. The shift of energy in the wards has Lan Zhan straightening and Bichen quivering on her ceremonial sword stand by the wall. In his left hand he begins to create a shield array, his arm already over A-Yuan's little shoulders.

..He'll tuck A-Yuan into his side, throw the shield and call Bichen to him...

 Picking up his phone he thumbs open the security app and relaxes minutely, then frowns. Its Wei Ying.

Wei Ying and his siblings are usually home at six and A-Yuan is usually with Granny Jiang and Lin Jing, if Jiang Yanli didn't take him to the office creche with her. Its a mark in Jiang Cheng's favor, that he automatically checks on both children when he arrives home.

A-Yuan's already begun his cultivation, which was triggered before he was adopted. Common enough apparently among the Da Fan Wen,  but he's still at nursery at this point.

Several children are down with a cold, including little Lin Jing. Granny Jiang has her hands full, with the toddler and three other children...her cousin's children he thinks. Her other cousin was helping, but Lan Zhan volunteered to keep A-Yuan occupied, texting Wei Ying for permission.

A-Yuan had been sick to the point of death not that long ago. What exactly it had been, Lan Zhan didn't know, but he knew it had been bad. Heard the undeniable edge of worry in Wei Ying's voice and in the obvious relief that Lan Zhan was taking care of him.

Since Wei Ying clearly trusted him with A-Yuan, Granny Jiang had been so grateful her grandson didn't have to be so close, afraid what something like a cold would do to his still recovering system. Lan Zhan didn't want to find out, so he took him back to their house.

As Wei Ying didn't like to encourage too much screen time, since he had been an active child, Lan Zhan looked for ways to keep him occupied. He was worried about his cousins, wanting to go back and help, which was frankly adorable in Lan Zhan's heavily biased opinion.

While A-Yuan was watching television, he had called Xichen, but that had derailed into another world of trouble, when Zhongxiang had admitted what Nie Huaisang had done. An hour later, Xichen was calmer and Lan Zhan was committing himself to help keep the younger Nie alive.

All too soon, A-Yuan reappeared looking for something else to do. Before long, he was cooking dinner with A-Yuan, feeding the rabbits, helping him with some of the exercises he's struggling with and now, a little music lesson.

If he made him Gusu Lan tonic soup as a precaution, and his Mother's almond biscuits, that was their secret.

Lan Zhan had never felt happier.

"Do we add the hot red stuff Jiaofu? Baba likes the powdered flames."

"Should we make soup? Shushu says you eat soup when you're sick."

"Does Shibo like powdered flames? Yima doesn't like it."  That one did surprise him, considering  Wen Qing was from Shaanxi.

But Wei Ying usually has a mountain of work to do after he arrives home, with Jiang disciples. Packing several hours of work into two, so he can spend dinner and the rest of the night with A-Yuan.

At quarter to six, he's early.

But he waits, continuing to pluck the melody and praises A-Yuan as he follows diligently, his tiny brows scrunched in concentration.

Wei Ying opens their front door a minute or so later. "Baba!" A-Yuan cries in greeting, leaving his side to run to him. Wei Ying drops to the floor, shoulder bag and shopping bags hitting the ground as Wei Ying gathers the little boy to him.

"A-Yuan! My Little Radish!" He cries, swinging around him. A-Yuan laughs and pats his father's face.

Lan Zhan who cannot easily rise with his leg, smiles contentedly from the floor, but something is wrong.

"Hi Lan Zhan! Are you okay down there?" Wei Ying asks, setting A-Yuan on the floor.

"Jiaofu is teaching me the qin!" A-Yuan tells him excitedly.

"Sizhui," Lan Zhan calls quietly. He waits until the little boy turns to say with a smile, "Almond biscuits."

He lights up immediately. "We made you almond biscuits Baba. Jiaofu's Mama's recipe!" He lets go of Wei Ying and scampers out the door, towards the kitchen where the plate sits ready.

"You made me almond biscuits?' Wei Ying says brightly, stepping past his bags without a care to help Lan Zhan up. Who accepts this, because only a complete fool would refuse having the love of your life, 'help' you upright, pride be damned. "Aiya Lan Zhan."

"What's wrong?" Lan Zhan asks instead, touching his arm.

Wei Ying's bright smile dimmed and he looked almost sheepishly at Lan Zhan. "Can't hide it from you, can I Lan Zhan?" When he shook his head, Wei Ying sighed, eyes hardening. The Wen are making threats." He said glancing at the kitchen door.

"What kind of threats? Wei Ying?" Lan Zhan asked coming closer. "About Sizhui?"

"They won't get close enough." Wei Ying said softly, menace in every word.

"No. They will not." Lan Zhan said just as firmly. "Wei Ying?"

There is no reply when Wei Ying turns as Sizhui totters back with the plate, "For Baba!"

Wei Ying kneels immediately, violence gone from his gaze as if it never existed. "For me? Ah these are little bunnies! You made bunny biscuits. Aiya Lan Zhaaan! This is too cute!"

Lan Zhan watches them and vows to speed up his plans. "We made dinner." He tells him instead and Wei Yin theatrically gasps. "My Radish is getting so big! He'll be leaving me for culinary school!"

Sizhui giggles as Wei Ying hauls up and dances around the living room, to a chorus of laughter and bright smiles.

This, he thinks is worth dying for.

He sends a text to an unclassified number and Jin Zixuan answers swiftly.

Your flowers will be delivered tomorrow at 3 pm.

Good. With Jin Zixuan home, things will be easier.  Lan Zhan thinks as Wei Ying smiles at him from across the room, Sizhui on his shoulders.

It's time to take a visit to Wen Qing.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

192K 7.9K 33
WARNING: This story has spoilers for the show, Novel, And spinoff movie The Living Dead. A/N: I might chance character's personalities (specificall...
247K 9.6K 45
Wei Ying was banished and discarded from the whole Cultivating world. Lan Zhan Turned his back on him, the juniors can't help him they are still youn...
36.9K 2.1K 12
When Wei Ying removed his hand from Lan Zhan hand, he look up at Lan Zhan, he can see the hurt, the sadness and how devastated Lan Zhan is when he se...
21.5K 737 10
During his seclusion since Jin Guangyao's death, only him brother-in-law had always visited Lan Xichen and paid attention. Gradually, Lan Xichen's h...