emmylou | natasha romanoff

By sansasrose

Kennedy Allen remembers the girl with the blue hair, the same way Natasha Romanoff can't forget the girl with... More

summary + cast.
prologue.
the meeting.
the promise.
the interrogation.
part one.
one.
two.
three.
four.
five.
six.
seven.
eight.
ten.
eleven.
part two.
twelve.
thirteen.
fourteen.
fifteen.
sixteen.
seventeen.
eighteen.
nineteen.
part three.
twenty.
twenty-one.
twenty-two.
twenty-three.
twenty-four.
twenty-five.
twenty-six.
part four.
twenty-seven.
twenty-eight.
twenty-nine.
thirty.
thirty-one.
thirty-two.
thirty-three.
part five.
thirty-four.
thirty-five.
thirty-six.
thirty-seven.
thirty-eight.
thirty-nine.
forty.
forty-one.
part six.
forty-two.
forty-three.
forty-four.
forty-five.
forty-six.
forty-seven.
forty-eight.
part seven.
forty-nine.
fifty.
fifty-one.
fifty-two.
fifty-three.
part eight.
fifty-four.
fifty-five.
fifty-six.
fifty-seven.
fifty-eight.
fifty-nine.
sixty.
post-credit #1
post-credit #2
alternate endings.
vormir #1
vormir #2

nine.

10.2K 470 280
By sansasrose

2012
Outer Banks, North Carolina

"Welcome to the Outer Banks!" Reagan exclaims as she jumps out of the car, holding her arms out wide. She lifts the sunglasses that were over her eyes on her head and grins at Natasha, "Can you smell the salty air? Is it filling your lungs?"

Natasha glances at Kennedy unsurely before looking at the younger Allen sister, "Um yes, I do believe that I am inhaling salt air."

Kennedy chuckles, "Leave her alone, Reagan, and get the bags out of the car."

"What am I? A slave?"

"No, you're a child. Now use your youthfulness and grab those suitcases."

Reagan points a finger at her older sister, "Only because you drove us down here will I listen to you."

Kennedy shakes her head as she looks over at her mom who had her eyes closed and was leaning against the car.

"Mom? You okay?"

"Fine," she answers, "Just enjoying the salty air."

"Boom," Reagan says as she grabs a bag out of the trunk and Kennedy rolls her eyes as she looks over at Natasha.

"We can always drive back."

"I just spent eleven hours in a car listening to Reagan sing along to the Westside Story soundtrack. I want sun so I'm going to get sun," Natasha says as she puts on a pair of sunglasses. Kennedy smiles and shakes her head as she heads toward the entrance of the hotel.

She'd made reservations at a beachside hotel for two rooms, each with two beds, which cost an arm and a leg, but she thought it was worth it if Reagan and her mom could have a fun weekend and Natasha could experience some sort of normalcy.

She heads over to the front desk with a smile and the receptionist returns the gesture.

"Hi!" the desk receptionist greets her eagerly.

"Hi," Kennedy responds, "I'd like to check in please."

"Of course," she said as she glanced down at the computer in front of her, ready to type, "Last name?"

"Allen."

"Kennedy?"

"That's me," Kennedy says.

"Here are your room keys," the receptionist says as she hands Kennedy the key, "Hope you enjoy!"

"Thanks," Kennedy looks at the name tag on the woman's shirt. She always felt that it was nicer and more personal to use someone's name, especially when they were working. She felt like it made them feel appreciated, "Kelly. Thanks, Kelly."

The woman's cheeks flushed at the use of her name and a smile crossed her lips. Kennedy turned to Natasha and waved the keys, "We're in rooms 320 and 324."

"Am I rooming with Reagan?" Natasha asks as she takes one of the room keys.

"You can, but fair warning," Kennedy says as she snatches the key from Natasha, a smirk playing on her lips, "She snores."

Kennedy heads over to the elevator and taps the button. She looks over at Natasha who was still where she was standing when Kennedy had taken the key from her.

"You're trouble, you know that?" Natasha asks.

"How much trouble can I be?" Kennedy asks teasingly.

"A lot," Natasha responds as the elevator door opens. She steps inside taking the key from Kennedy again. Kennedy rolls her eyes as she follows her, stepping into the elevator beside her. She reaches past Natasha and pushes the button to the third floor.

Natasha looks over at her and Kennedy quirks an eyebrow at the spy. Natasha bites her lip and averts her eyes as she looks at the elevator doors.

The elevator dings as they reach their floor and Kennedy walks out first as she heads in the direction of their assigned hotel rooms. She stops at 320, which is the room Natasha had the key for. She holds her hand out to Natasha expectantly.

Natasha simply nudges Kennedy out of the way with her hip as she swipes the card to get into the hotel room. Kennedy shakes her head as she steps inside the room and heads straight for the balcony.

She opens the door and stands there, looking down at the beach below.

"Come here," Kennedy says using her head to motion Natasha over.

Natasha obeys and joins Kennedy on the balcony.

"Nice view, right?" Kennedy asks as she looks over at Natasha with a grin.

"It is," Natasha says.

"This is my room by the way so if you want this amazing view, your kind of gonna have to be my roommate."

"Are you bribing me to sleep with you?" Natasha asks and Kennedy chuckles as she leans on the balcony railing.

"Let's get one thing straight, I wouldn't have to bribe you to sleep with me," Kennedy smirks, "You'd be a willing participant."

"Is that so?" Natasha asks.

Kennedy nods her head, "Mhm."

"I will share this room with you, only because Reagan snores and you have the best view."

"Okay," Kennedy says as she walks by Natasha and back into the room. Natasha stays on the balcony, looking at the ocean below and she smiles, "Nat?"

"Yeah?"

"I'm gonna go help my mom and Reagan out. You get comfortable, but not too comfortable. We have plans tonight."

Natasha nods her head and Kennedy gives her a wide smile before heading out of the room.

Kennedy meets her sister and mom in the lobby, the two of them having loaded everything on to a cart and Reagan grins as she wanders over to meet her sister.

"How much did you pay for this place? There's a game room and a spa and there are like three pools! And they have paddle boarding, and I am absolutely losing my mind at how amazing this place is."

"It is kind of cool," Kennedy tells her sister, "Take advantage of it, gremlin, because you are like three hundred dollars in debt to me."

"I'll pay you back when I make it big," Reagan tells her, "Also there's karaoke tonight and mom and I are going."

"Perfect because I am taking Natasha out on the town," Kennedy holds her hand out to Reagan. Her sister high-fives it before slapping the back of their hands together and fist-bumping, making an explosion noise.

"Here's your key," Kennedy says, handing them the card to room 324. Reagan takes it and smiles at Kennedy.

"Sorry for calling you boring."

Kennedy shrugs, "I can be boring. I'm trying to do better."

"You never were boring," Reagan tells her, "You've just always had a lot of responsibility."

"That's the life of an adult," Kennedy says, "You'll get there someday, and you'll hate it. Enjoy these years, they'll be the best of your life."

"Were they the best of yours?"

Kennedy smiles, "I think the best is yet to come. Now come on, mom is going to love the view."

She helps her mother and sister settle in before returning to her room that she shared with Natasha to see that she was sitting on the edge of the bed watching the TV intently. Kennedy steps closer to her amused.

"What are you doing?"

Natasha looks over at her and back at the screen, "Grey's Anatomy was on, so I thought I'd watch it."

"Really?" Kennedy asks as she jumps on the bed that she'd claimed as her own.

"I have to ask, are doctors really like this?" Natasha asks her and Kennedy laughs.

"No, we'd get fired if we did half the things that these people do," Kennedy tells her, "Real doctors are boring and would make for bad television."

"So, you're saying that you don't hook up with people in an on-call room?" Natasha asks and Kennedy can't help as she laughs again.

"Natasha, do you think I'm slutty?"

"No," Natasha responds with a smile, "I just think it would be funny if you were like the doctors on the show. Hero by day, seductress by night."

"Not a seductress," Kennedy says, "And hardly a hero."

"You're a hero," Natasha tells her, "You quite literally save people from death."

"I guess," Kennedy responds.

"Oh no," Natasha says, "Do I need to tell you how cool you are?"

"You don't have to, but I would love to hear it," Kennedy says as she lays on her stomach, kicking her feet like a child.

Natasha watches the action fondly, "You, Kennedy Emily-Louise Allen, are really freaking cool."

"That means a lot coming from you, Natasha no-middle-name Romanoff."

Natasha laughs as she looks back at the TV, "What would you call your coffee shop?"

"What coffee shop?" Kennedy asks curiously.

"The one that you wanted to have before SHIELD crushed your dreams."

"Oh," Kennedy says before biting her lip thoughtfully, I don't know, maybe something like Kennedy's Café, but café is spelled with a K. Or maybe I'd call it Emmylou's. That feels like the name of a small town coffee shop."

"So it's a coffee shop name but it isn't a nickname?"

"Why do you insist on giving me a nickname?" Kennedy asks curiously, "Especially one like Emmylou. It's literally like an old woman's name."

"Come on Kennedy, you know all about names. Nicknames are used to express fondness and affection. It signifies a heightened relationship. I think our relationship is pretty heightened and I get the gut feeling that Fitz likes to call you Ken."

"He does," Kennedy responds.

"I can't call you that," Natasha responds, "It's his."

"Technically it was my mom's first," Kennedy says with a small smile, "But I get what you mean. After you left, I told my dad about it, and um he started calling me Emmylou. I'd complain every time he used it, but it was kind of my only piece of you. And then he died. I lost him and I lost another piece of you."

"You should let me call you Emmylou," Natasha insists and Kennedy glance over at her, "For him. He took over when I was gone and so I'll take over for him so that you can always have a piece of him."

"He would've liked that," Kennedy says with a smile.

"So, are you my Emmylou?"

"I guess," Kennedy responds with a shrug, and Natasha grins.

"So, what are our plans for tonight?"

"Well, my mom and Reagan are going to karaoke, so you and I are going to wander around town like tourists," Kennedy responds, "Is that okay with you?"

"Of course."

That night, Kennedy and Natasha walk the streets of Duck, North Carolina, which was smaller than their Ohio town and yet it was just as lively thanks to the tourist that visited the city, like Kennedy and her family.

"This place didn't exist until the seventies," Kennedy explains to Natasha, "Everyone went to Nags Head or other places along the Outer Banks. They still prefer it to here, but I think the fact that it's uncrowded makes it great."

"You like small communities," Natasha observes and Kennedy shrugs.

"I like knowing people," Kennedy responds, "But I feel like I could make friends anywhere."

"How about Washington?" Natasha asks.

"D.C.?" Kennedy asks, "I suppose I can make friends with your singular friend."

"Clint," Natasha says and Kennedy chuckles.

"Sorry, Clint is such a weird name," Kennedy responds with a childish smile, "Cause it sounds a lot like-"

"I know," Natasha interrupts, making Kennedy laugh harder.

"Like I said," Kennedy states, "I can make friends anywhere. I'm a very likable person. I mean you know because you like me."

"I do," Natasha states.

Kennedy glances over at Natasha, "So why are you asking? Do you want me to come to Washington D.C.?"

"I was just curious," Natasha says, and Kennedy nods her head as she stops walking.

"Well, we've reached our first destination," Kennedy says, and Natasha looks at the name of the location.

"Big Buck's Homemade Ice Cream?"

"Haven't you heard? Big Buck's ice cream is to die for," Kennedy teases as she nods toward the shop, "Come on."

They enter the shop and Kennedy orders for both of them and Natasha doesn't know if it's weird that she remembers Kennedy's ice cream order down to the topping or the fact that Kennedy remembers her order as well.

"Just how you like it," Kennedy says as she hands Natasha her ice cream with a smile.

"Thank you," Natasha says as she takes the cone.

"So," Kennedy states, "Have you dated since you escaped the Red Room?"

"Nope," Natasha answers honestly.

"Have you wanted to?"

"No," Natasha says, "Romance complicates the job."

"But isn't Clint married?"

Natasha nods her head, "Clint's wife used to work for SHIELD. That's how they met. I think the reason that they work out is because she understands how demanding the lifestyle is because she used to live it."

Kennedy nods her head, "Do they have kids?"

"Two," Natasha answers with a small smile, "Cooper and Lila. I actually have a picture of them."

Natasha reaches into her pocket and pulls out her phone she scrolls through her camera roll before pulling up a picture of her, Cooper, and Lila from Natasha's birthday. She hands Kennedy the phone and she smiles as she looks at it.

"They're cute," Kennedy says as she looks up at Natasha.

"Yeah," Natasha says as she takes her phone back, "When Laura found out she was pregnant with Lila, we were hiding out at a safe house in Budapest and Laura wrote Clint a letter telling him about it, and he just started crying. One of the toughest guys I know, and he just starts bawling."

Natasha shakes her head as she looks at the sidewalk, "I knew I had to get his dumbass home so he could meet his daughter."

"You know Clint may be your only friend, but I can tell the two of you are close," Kennedy states, "Quality over quantity."

"I guess," Natasha says as she licks her ice cream.

"So, what do you want, a son or a daughter?"

"Both," Natasha answers, "Boys and girls are so different, I want to raise them both."

"How many?" Kennedy asks.

"Two would be perfect," Natasha responds, "Four is too many and with three I feel like one would be left out."

"Good point," Kennedy answers, "When I was younger, I always thought I'd wanted a lot of kids so that they wouldn't have to grow up alone, but I think two is the right amount."

"How many kids does Fitz want?" Natasha asks and the question surprises Kennedy.

"One," Kennedy answers, "A girl."

"Why a girl?" Natasha asks curiously.

"He said he thinks girls are smarter. He'd be less worried with a daughter because he knows she'll make the right choices. He also wants her to look like me."

"That's actually really sweet," Natasha mutters.

"He's not an awful guy," Kennedy says, "He just has a father that expects a lot from him, and he tries his best."

"But you don't love him."

"It was one of those situations where I felt like I could learn to love him, you know?" Kennedy says as she shakes her head, "He's always been there. When I found out my mom was sick. Hell, he was even there when my dad died. He's dependable. Safe."

"And you like that about him," Natasha states, "That he is those things."

"I've had a lot of responsibility on my shoulders. I guess I liked that I had someone to lean on," Kennedy sighs, "And then his father ran for governor."

"He sounds like a good man," Natasha tells her and Kennedy glances over at her to find Natasha eating her ice cream.

"He is," Kennedy says, "And that's why I feel so bad about not being able to love him. He's what everyone wants. Except me."

"What do you want?" Natasha asks her and Kennedy laughs at the question.

"No one's ever asked me that before," Kennedy responds, as she looks at her ice cream cone, "I guess I want is to feel like I did when we climbed the tree. Weightless. Free."

They walk the length of the small Outer Banks town before returning to the hotel. That night Kennedy lays in her bed staring at the ceiling. She listens to the sound of Natasha's soft and rhythmic breathing. She looked over at the spy and smiled at the way Natasha held tightly to the pillow she was cuddling.

Kennedy climbed out of bed and made her way out to the balcony, careful not to wake Natasha as she sat there and looked at the full moon sitting in the sky. She looked down at the beach and watched the waves lapping at the sand.

It was high tide. The moon's gravity was forcing the waves higher.

Gravity. Such a weird concept that humans believed in. That it was the single thing keeping them on the ground.

Kennedy looked back inside the hotel room and a small smile crossed her lips as she looked back at the beach.

The next day, they headed to the beach. Natasha took the task of setting things up for Kennedy's mom, something Kennedy insisted that she could do but Natasha told her she'd take care of it since Kennedy had taken care of everything else.

Reagan had already abandoned them all to head into the ocean where she was floating happily and taking videos of herself, which made Kennedy chuckle as she laid down on a beach towel and reached into her bag to grab a book. Natasha spread her towel out beside Kennedy's and laid down, her head resting on her arms as she looked at the doctor beside her.

"Hi Kennedy," Natasha greets.

Kennedy smiles, "Hi Natasha."

"What are you reading?" Natasha asks curiously.

"The Communist Manifesto," Kennedy jokes, "Get it because you're Russian and they were like the biggest communist?"

"Ha," Natasha tells her.

"Why don't you get in the water?" Kennedy asks, "I'm sure Reagan would love to splash with you, and she might even let you be on her Instagram!"

"Yes, my biggest goal in life is to be featured on your fifteen-year-old sister's Instagram."

"That is a very interesting goal," Kennedy teases.

Natasha rolls her eyes, "Why aren't you getting in the water?"

"Because I want to read," Kennedy responds.

"Kind of a waste of a beach trip if you ask me."

"This is your beach trip," Kennedy says, "So you get in the water or build a sandcastle. I'm going to read and stay dry."

"No you're not," Natasha says as she stands from the beach towel. She takes Kennedy's book and sets it down before taking Kennedy's hand and forcing her to stand up.

"Natasha," Kennedy warns.

"Come on Kennedy," Natasha says with a teasing smile.

"Natasha, let go of me! I don't want to get my hair wet!"

They reach where the waves and sand meet, and Kennedy feels the cold water lapping at her feet.

"It's cold!" Kennedy exclaims.

"You'll adjust," Natasha says as she drags Kennedy further out into the water. Soon it's at their hips and Natasha delivers the worst blow when she jumps on Kennedy's back, forcing her beneath the surface.

When Kennedy emerges, all she hears is Natasha's laughter and she looks over at her with a frown as she brushes wet strands of her hair out of the way.

"I hate you," Kennedy says, "Like with a passion, do you know how hard it is to do my hair?"

"If it's so hard, I'll do it for you," Natasha says as she swims closer to Kennedy. She waits until Natasha gets close enough before she sends a wave of water in Natasha's direction. She wipes the water from her face and looks at Kennedy.

"Oops," Kennedy says with an innocent smile.

"You're so going to pay for that," Natasha responds as she lunges at Kennedy who starts laughing as she attempts to swim away.

They stay at the beach all day, with Reagan eventually joining in on their water fight as well. As the sun began to set, Reagan demanded that they all take a selfie together, which Natasha was hesitant to join, but Reagan demanded that she join in as well.

That night Kennedy lies in bed staring at the ceiling. Tomorrow they would be driving back to Ohio and life would return to normal. She'd have a shift at the hospital the next day and the weeks would pass on slowly.

Eventually, Natasha would have to go back to work and then Kennedy was unsure what would happen from then on. Could she go to Washington D.C? Could Natasha stay in Ohio? Would they have to visit one another? Where did they go from here?

Feeling as though she wouldn't get any sleep, Kennedy climbed out of bed and took a seat on the balcony as she had the morning before. She watched the waves lap up against the sand and wondered why she'd never thought about living near the beach.

"That's two nights in a row."

Kennedy turns and finds Natasha leaning in the door frame. She looks back at the waves below.

"I can't sleep," Kennedy says softly, "My mind won't shut off."

Natasha joins her on the balcony, "What's bothering you?"

"Nothing," Kennedy responds before laughing, "Everything."

"You shouldn't stress about it. Everything's going to work itself out," Natasha tells her, as she places her hand on Kennedy's shoulder, giving them a gentle squeeze, "Come back to bed? I can't sleep unless you're there."

"Really?" Kennedy asks as she turns and looks at Natasha who nods her head.

"Your invisible snores are comforting," Natasha teases and Kennedy laughs softly.

"Okay, I'll come back to bed," Kennedy says and Natasha smiles as she heads back inside. Kennedy takes one last look at the beach below before following Natasha back into the room. She noticed that Natasha wasn't in her bed but rather Kennedy's.

"Are we swapping beds?" Kennedy asks and Natasha shakes her head as she holds up the covers on Kennedy's bed, indicating that she wanted her to join. She shook her head as she climbed into the bed with Natasha settling herself in the full bed.

"You know this is a bad idea, right?" Kennedy whispers as she looks at Natasha.

"Why's that?" Natasha asks.

"Cause then we won't be able to sleep without each other."

"It's okay," Natasha says as she closes her eyes, her hand finding Kennedy's and tangling their fingers together, "We'll figure it out."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3K 363 9
A young child is used to settle a debt. Many deemed her defective due to her inability to speak. But she didn't need to talk to get her job done. She...
129K 4.3K 39
๐š ๐ญ๐ข๐ฆ๐ž๐ฅ๐ข๐ง๐ž ๐ฐ๐ก๐ž๐ซ๐ž ๐ง๐š๐ญ๐š๐ฌ๐ก๐š ๐Ÿ๐จ๐ฎ๐ง๐ ๐ฅ๐จ๐ฏ๐ž ๐ข๐ง ๐ฌ๐จ๐ฆ๐ž๐จ๐ง๐ž ๐ฐ๐ก๐จ ๐ข๐ฌ ๐ซ๐ž๐ฅ๐ž๐š๐ซ๐ง๐ข๐ง๐  ๐ก๐จ๐ฐ ๐ญ๐จ ๐ฅ๐จ๐ฏ๐ž. แด‡แด แด‡ส€แด‡๊œฑแด›...
348K 12.4K 62
๐ˆ๐ ๐–๐‡๐ˆ๐‚๐‡ Howard Stark's younger sister becomes an inventor and falls for the blue-eyed super-soldier steve rogers x grace stark (oc) captain a...
404K 11.7K 19
in which the dark sorcerous fell in love with the naive witch โ€ข " i thought you said there were only two of them! " " well, I only saw red and blu...