His Favored Empress

By ladydragyn

Shaugn is a history professor with an adventurous spirit. One day he wakes up and finds himself in a world s... More

Nag, Nag, Nag
Fresh Air
Splitting Headache
Identity
Dujshua
His Emperor
Fateful Encounter
Courtship and Questions
Eye Opening Chat
A Negotiation
Dagaslan
Not Your Ordinary Priest
Entanglement
The 6th Prince
Terrible Tea
Prince Etan
Making Waves
Fight For the Right to Fight
Uninvited Guest
His Bottom Line
Size Doesn't Matter
Preparations
Currying Favor
Mother Empress
Start From Small
Picky Eaters
Public Discipline
Discussion and Departure
Shifob
Clapping Back
Gloves Off
Out of Sight
Night Vision
Court Full of Jesters
Toshi
The Slums
The Military Camp
Camp On Notice
Memorials Arrive
Setting the Stage
Diminished Ministers
A Wager
Humbled Noble
Secret Meetings
Recruitment
Drowning Rats
Rumors
Late Night Rendezvous
Reforms

Man to Men

2.5K 209 19
By ladydragyn

"That was beautifully handled, your majesty."

"I don't think the consorts have ever had such a day."

"Their behavior is disgusting. They aren't worthy of this palace."

Shaugn chuckled to himself as Radagar, Akechi, and Kazim chattered around him. The petty part of him felt a sense of satisfaction humiliating the consorts for all to see. They'd been arrogant for too long. Now everyone knew that he knew about all their dirty little tricks and secrets. He wasn't going to stand for it any longer.

He took his annoying headpiece off. "Call the odali over to the living room. I wish to discuss somethings with her regarding the harem."

"Yes, your majesty," Akechi saluted and hustled off.

"Kazim, go to the male consorts. Tell them they are to join me for dinner tonight."

The older man gave a slight pause. "Yes, your majesty."

"Radagar, make sure you have someone report to me daily on the happenings in the nursery. I also want someone to stare at the men in secret. If there is something important, notify me immediately."

Radagar looked at the second in charge. The man gave a salute and hustled out of formation. They entered the living room of his palace and acknowledged all the waiting servants before sitting in his seat. Carlo and two servants stood by awaiting orders.

Fluffing a pillow and placing it behind his back, Shaugn sighed and addressed the steward. "Carlo, please bring me some sugared tamarind."

Carlo motioned to a young servant standing near the door. "Yes, your majesty. Would you like anything in particular to drink?"

Shaugn thought for a moment then shook his head. The only thing he wanted was the sticky, sour-sweet goodness. He rubbed his stomach with a frown. Was this a craving?

"No. Just that. Also, have the bookkeeper bring me the accounting log for the harem and the nursery."

Carlo paused his movements. Shaugn raised a brow.

"What is it?"

Realizing he'd made an error, Carlo shook his head. "Nothing, your majesty. I'll send someone to consort Sieh's immediately."

Shaugn sucked his teeth and rolled his eyes. This woman again. "Why is she in charge of the account books? If anything, it should be the odali or first consort that has control of the harem's financial affairs in place of the emperor or empress."

"This is true, your majesty. Consort Sieh took over running many things after the death of your –"

Shaugn nodded for him that it was ok. He figured the death of OG's father and the loss of his child left a deep scar on his heart. Being crippled with depression and unable to functuion wasn't uncommon.

"Well, you weren't interested in most things regarding the palace and the emperor was away," Carlo replied tactfully.

He had to give the staff a thumbs up for their ability to navigate troubled situations with tact and sensitivity. "Well, it's time I take responsibility for the things I'm responsible for."

Carlo nodded and headed off to find the bookkeeper himself. As he was leaving, Kazim and Akechi returned. Kazim's brows shadowed his deep eyes and a vein was prominent on his forehead. Shaugn raised his brows.

"What happened to you?"

The older man's hands reached up and turned into claws as if he wanted to grab someone by the neck. "That insufferable consort Goren."

Oh lordt. Shaugn sighed and rubbed his temple. "What happened?"

"It was probably the wine talking but he told me to fuck off and drop dead."

Shaugn chuckled out loud. Some people never learned. "I'll deal with him. What about the others?"

The servant returned with a large tray filled with various fruits. The only thing that caught Shaugn's eye was the sticky, brown tamarind. He swallowed back the saliva as his tongue tingled in anticipation. His hands rubbed together as it was set down in front of him. Without waiting for a utensil, his greedy claws pinched a tangy cluster and popped it in his mouth. As the sour-sweetness burst across his tongue, Shaugn closed his eyes and hummed in contentment.

While he was caught up in the rapture of his tangy treat, the bookkeeper and the odali arrived. Everyone stood to the side and waited for Shaugn to finish and pay attention to them. He didn't make them wait too long. After eating half, he took a sip of green tea to wash the taste and wiped his hand.

"Thank you for waiting."

"It was nothing, your majesty."

He gestured towards two open chairs. "Please sit."

The odali was a stern woman who had been trained to handle the daily needs of the harem. She was a lowly born servant and had never sat with the empress. Her eyes darted around the room in curiosity. Everything here was much different than the harem. The bookkeeper was more composed than her and sat down with the books in his lap.

Shaugn smiled. "I've summoned you here for two things. I want you both to know that I will be handling and monitoring the expenses of the harem and the nursery from now on."

They both looked at each then back at Shaugn.

"Is something wrong?"

The odali lowered her eyes and quickly responded."No, your majesty."

The bookkeeper was more composed. "Not at all, empress."

"Good." He took a sip of tea Akechi poured for him and motioned for the bookkeeper to hand over the books. There were ten books in total. Shaugn pulled out the one for the harem and chose a random page. After reading a few lines he began to question them about the expenditures of the nursery and harem.

He spoke with the odali and the bookeper for an hour. Not a numbers fan, Shaugn felt as if his energy was sucked away. He hated budgeting. However, in order to do some things he needed to know the financial situation of all parts of the palace. They went line by line over the expenses for the last month and he still had more to go. Once he understood the basics, he decided to take a short nap.

When he awoke, it was near time for dinner to be served. He rubbed his sleepy eyes in annoyance when he noticed it was getting dark outside. He estimated what was supposed to be a half-hour nap lasted almost four hours.

Akechi handed him a warm, wet rag to wipe his face and tried to soothe his irritation. It wasn't that they didn't want to wake him. It's more like they couldn't get him to wake up. After he slept an hour they tried to wake him but no matter what, he wouldn't wake up. Worry-body Akechi ran for the physician Shifob. After checking the breath and pulse, Shifob told them the empress was sleeping deeply and that all was well. With reluctance, they let him continue to sleep and wake up on his own.

After touching up his eyeliner and changing out of his wrinkled robes, Shaugn chose less complicated clothing and a simple hair tie before he walked to the dining room. He was indifferent compared to before. He was meeting with only the male members of the harem. Two were of military origin and the other was a spoiled aristocrat. He had no need to be elegant and gentle - two wouldn't care about it and the other he didn't care about.

Unlike in the afternoon, the men were in different corners of the room. Goren was sitting on the sofa drinking an orange drink. Dane was looking out of the window. Malek sat in Torba's seat reading a book. When Shaugn entered, they stood and saluted him. Shaugn smiled and walked into the dining room.

"Evening, gentlemen. Let's talk while we eat." He didn't stop to converse in the sitting room. He walked into the dining room and Kazim hurried ot pull out his chair. The dishes had already been served once the staff knew Shaugn was on his way.

The three men sat on either side of him and began to eat after Shaugn started.

"Are meals together going to be a frequent thing, your majesty?" Malek asked.

Shaugn chuckled and sliced his chicken breast. "Am I poor host?"

"That's not it."

"I confess that I called you here because there are things to discuss regarding the harem and your place in it."

The three men paused eating and looked at each other.

Shaugn ignored their confused looks. "I hope you can keep this to yourselves but I plan to remove those that can't behave as they are expected to from the harem and those that are untouched ."

Goren's eyes were wide. Malek continued eating. Dane was frowning.

"What are your thoughts?"

"Where will we go?" Dane asked.

Goren seemed the most upset. "Why?"

Leaning back, Shaugn looked at their expressions. "You can request a placement or I will choose."

"Why?" Goren repeated.

"As I said before, a palace is supposed to be a place the emperor can find peace. There hasn't been peace since he took over. There are far too many predators in the palace with sharp claws."

Goren snorted and snorted. "You just want the emperor to yourself."

Shaugn gave a half shrug. "If the emperor wants to keep any of you that is his business." He looked at the two military men. "You have been in the harem the longest. As soldiers, I can find you a position in the army or in the palace guard."

Dane was quick to refute. "The old rules –"

Shaugn interrupted. "The old rules gave you up to the enemy. Xoan saved you and brought you and your brethren into the palace to protect you. If he could change that, he can change it so you can serve in the military as before."

"You'd do that for us?"

"With this new idea of mine, there's no reason for you to languish in the harem with these women that have no other ambitions in the name of monitoring."

Malek leaned back in his chair and a little emotion flashed in his eyes. Dane couldn't help the smile on his face and began to eat with more enthusiasm. For various reasons they'd been unable to return to the army and had to take up positions in the palace. 

"What about you, Goren?" Shaugn took a sip of his drink and looked over. "Have you no ambitions for a career? Fame? Children?"

"I wish to serve under the emperor in whatever capacity he needs me."

"You wish you could serve 'under' him," Dane muttered.

Shaugn nearly spit out his drink as he laughed.

Goren rolled his eyes and glared at Dane over his wine glass. "You're such a bore."

"Boring is dressing fancy and hanging around women to gossip all day," Malek muttered.

Dane swished his knife in the air a few times in excitement. "There's nothing more thrilling than fighting hand to hand. Testing your sword against an opponent. The wind in your hair as you gallop on a horse in the countryside."

Malek joined in. "The sun on your skin. The camaraderie of those who have shared bread and death with you. Outwitting your enemy."

With a sour look on his face, Goren leaned back as if to distance himself from the two men."Savages."

"These savages were born and bred to serve in the military. Providing defense at our borders, fighting our wars, and protecting our citizens so they can live their carefree lives." Shaugn gave Goren a hard stare. "The empire owes these savages everything. You would have nothing if we were invaded and others took over."

Goren pursed his lips and avoided the hot glances from the two men.

"So show them some respect."

"My apologies."

Shaugn tapped his finger on the table and watched Goren in silence. The man only had being Xoan's bedwarmer on the brain. Goren's family was one of the oldest, richest, most powerful non-military families in the capital. They were scholars and ministers and well connected. What could he do to break this spoiled, ambitionless eyesore without offending half the capital?

"When will the empress look to reinstate us in the military?"

Malek's words brought Shaugn out of his head. He gave a light smile and took a sip of his drink. "The minute I announce it to the court."

"When is that?"

Shaugn's smile widened. "Tomorrow."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

888K 44.4K 73
Since he was a young child, Tang Shui has been dutiful and has felt gratified by his parents' efforts to support his education. As a result, he kept...
1K 1 40
When class 1-A get's a new classmate (after Minoru caused too many girls to complain about him) the class discovers that Jasmine is suffering. Keepin...
6.4M 264K 80
'Sometimes the DARKNESS you fear IS the LIGHT you seek' //MATURE CONTENT// A MAFIA ROMANCE Ranked: #1 bwwm #1 polyamory #1 bisexual #1 wmbw #1 blac...
27.7K 805 12
Discontinued 🚫 Akashi × Kuroko × Akashi Moving into the next chapter of their life, Kuroko Tetsuya, along with his husbands; Akashi Seijuro and Seij...