Liar

By chloelovesafi

Katherine Maybell has lived a life of lying, bullying, and keeping secrets. What happens when Alison is found... More

1 - Pilot
2 - The Jenna Thing
3 - To Kill A Mocking Girl
4 - Can You Hear Me Now?
5 - Reality Bites Me
6 - There's No Place Like Homecoming
7 - The Homecoming Hangover
8 - Please, Do Talk About Me When I'm Gone
9 - The Perfect Storm
10 - Keep Your Friends Close
11 - Moments Later
12 - Salt Meets Wound
13 - Know Your Frenemies
14 - Careful What U Wish 4
16 - Je Suis Une Amie
17 - The New Normal
18 - The Badass Seed
19 - A Person of Interest
20 - Someone to Watch Over Me
21 - Monsters in the End
22 - For Whom The Bell Tolls
23 - It's Alive
24 - The Goodbye Look
25 - My Name Is Trouble
26 - Blind Dates
27 - The Devil You Know
28 - Never Letting Go
29 - Surface Tension
30 - Save the Date

15 - If at First You Don't Succeed, Lie, Lie Again

1.2K 24 3
By chloelovesafi

"Wait. Where's Ian?" Aria asked as the group walked down the stairs.

"Don't worry. He went to Philly to be with Melissa." Spencer said.

"I didn't realize life existed at this hour." Emily said.

"I'm supposed to be at the Grille for breakfast with the Kahn's in ten minutes." Katherine said, checking her phone and rushing to get her jacket on.

"You guys need to see this. You can leave right after, Kat." Aria said, walking as fast as she could to the laptop.

"Fine." Katherine said, putting her phone in her back pocket and following the girls to the counter.

"You know, I'd always hoped my first sunrise would have tequila in it." Hanna said, struggling to keep her eyes open.

"Mine did." Katherine said, giving Hanna a wide smile who just glared in return.

"I'll make coffee." Spencer said.

"Well, when it's ready just pour it down my throat." Hanna said.

Aria opened the image of Alison in the yard with A's latest message.

"I thought we were done looking at this. I mean, we know the shadow is Ian, right?" Spencer said.

"Not exactly." Katherine said.

"You woke us up for this?" Emily asked.

"It's important." Aria said, walking back over to them with a printed out version of the image on the computer screen. "I couldn't let it go."

"Have you been up all night?" Hanna asked.

"Maybe." Aria said.

"Yeah, you have. One eye is bigger than the other, you look like a strung out Powerpuff girl." Hanna said.

"Stop looking at the eye. Just look at the picture." Aria said, passing the picture to Hanna, Emily, and Katherine.

"Who's having coffee?" Spencer asked from by the machine.

"I mean, there's only one place where this picture could've been taken from." Aria said.

"Where?" Hanna asked.

"Alison's bedroom." Aria said.

"No, Alison is in the picture. She clearly didn't take that." Hanna said.

"You think someone was in her bedroom?" Katherine asked.

"Like who, her parents?" Emily asked.

"No, her brother." Aria said.

"Aria, no. We are not starting with Jason now." Katherine said, getting defensive of her ex boyfriend.

"You know, my mom ran into him at the bank. He's back in town." Hanna said.

"Jason's back?" Katherine asked.

"Why?" Emily asked.

"We have to call him." Aria said.

"No. Ew. I am not going to talk to him." Hanna said.

"Me either." Emily said.

Katherine was about to speak up but Spencer beat her. "I will. We need to know if he took this."

"I gotta go, see you later." Katherine said, grabbing her bag and walking out as the other four said goodbyes.

Katherine walked across the street and got into her car. It didn't take long for her to get to the Grille and find the booth that the Kahn's were at.

"Good morning, Mr. and Mrs. Kahn." Katherine said, as Noel stood up and let the brunette sit in between him and Eric.

"Good morning, Katherine. And I've told you, call me Olivia." Olivia Kahn said.

"And call me Steven." Steven Kahn said.

"Of course." Katherine said, with a soft smile.

"Morning, Kat." Eric said, giving her a quick kiss on the cheek.

"Can I get you guys anything to drink?" Samatha Burr asked, glancing at Noel and holding her book, ready to write what they wanted.

"Just coffee for me." Olivia said, smiling at the waitress.

"Me too." Steve said.

"The spiked coffee." Eric said, grinning while Olivia gave him a disapproving look.

"Iced coffee for me and Kat." Noel said, giving Katherine a smile.

"Got it." Samatha said, holding her pen so tight it was moments from snapping.

"Looks like Sammy never got over you." Katherine whispered to Noel, a devilish smile on her face.

"And she still hates you." Noel said, his face mirroring Katherine's.

"How is school going, Katherine?" Olivia asked.

"Good, I'm acing my classes. But me and my English teacher don't exactly get along." Katherine said.

"Why is that?" Steve asked.

"Not sure." Katherine said, looking at Noel. "What about you, Eric? How's college?"

"It's awesome. You'll love UPenn." Eric said.

"Here's your drinks." Samatha said, setting them on the table. "Are you ready to order?"

"Is everyone ready?" Olivia asked the table and they all nodded. "Perfect. I'll have the eggs and bacon, scrambled please."

"I'll have The Big One, scrambled eggs and sausage." Steven said.

"Pancakes with bacon and scrambled eggs." Eric said.

"Same." Noel said.

"French toast with bacon and over-easy eggs." Katherine said.

"Got it, I'll go put that in." Samatha said, looking at Noel again before walking off with the menus.

"Why does she keep looking at you?" Olivia asked Noel.

"They used to go out." Eric said, before Noel got the chance to speak.

"Noel broke her heart." Katherine said, giving a fake look of sympathy before letting out a laugh.

"She was a loser, still is." Noel said, smirking.

"She seemed sweet." Olivia said, confused on why they didn't like the ginger.

"She's the opposite of sweet. She pulled a knife on me and Ali at a party once. Eric and Noel had to calm her down." Katherine said, glaring at the waitress that was across the room, completely oblivious that they were talking about her.

"She what?" Steve asked, choking on his coffee.

"Yeah, it wasn't pretty." Eric said.

Katherine, Noel, and Alison danced in the middle of the room, being the center of attention. It was when Katherine's face was inches from Noel's that Samatha Burr snapped. She rushed out of the kitchen with one of the Kahn's butcher knives and held it up to Katherine. Alison quickly pulled Katherine further back and stood in front of the brunette.

"What the hell, Sam?" Noel said, completely lost on why the girl he had dumped the night before was holding a knife to Katherine.

"Did you dump me for this bitch?" Samantha asked, her hand shaking as she held the knife up.

"Noel. Be calm, don't make her angrier." Eric said quietly.

"No. No, Samatha. I didn't dump you for her." Noel said, holding his hands out and standing in front of Katherine and Alison. The girls wouldn't show it but they were terrified.

"What the hell is going on?" Jason asked, stumbling into the room and seeing his girlfriend and sister behind the Kahn boys.

"Jason, be quiet. We're trying to calm her down." Eric whispered to the clearly drunk blonde boy.

Jason rushed over to the two girls and had his back facing Noel and Eric. "Are you okay?" He asked them, sobering up real quick.

"Yeah." Katherine said as Alison nodded.

Jason stood with the girls as Noel convinced Samatha to put the knife down and leave.

Ever since that night Samantha Burr's life had been a living hell. Katherine had started the bullying, Alison quickly following in her steps. And soon enough, almost all of Rosewood would bully the red-head.

Samatha dropped the food off at the table and was walking back to the back when Kelly Anthros put her leg out and tripped her.

"Oops." Kelly said with a smirk before pretending to accidentally knock her smoothie over and make it fall on Samantha.

Katherine let out a loud laugh and Samantha got up and ran to the back.

"Nice one, Kelly!" Noel said, laughing with Eric and Katherine.

The group finished their food and didn't bother leaving a tip. Now that Olivia and Steven knew what Samantha had pulled on Katherine, they had hated the girl.

Olivia and Steven were a big part in Katherine's childhood. From the moment she was born she had known Noel and had spent almost all of her time with Mr. and Mrs. Kahn. The Kahn's and the Hastings' had raised Katherine Maybell. Everyone knew it.

...

Spencer
Meet me at basketball courts

Katherine said goodbye to the Kahn's and headed to the courts. She immediately found Spencer and jogged up to her.

"What's up, Spence?" Katherine asked.

"You wore heels to the basketball courts?" Spencer asked.

"Breakfast with the Kahn's." Katherine reminded her.

"Oh, right. There's Jason, let's go." Spencer said.

"Wait, what?" Katherine said, grabbing Spencer's arm. "I thought you were gonna meet Jason by yourself."

"Well, turns out that I need you. Come on, we're Spentherine. Spencer and Katherine. Please." Spencer said.

"Fine." Katherine said, letting go of Spencer and watching Jason run up the bleachers. Katherine was caught off guard by Jason being shirtless and didn't realize she was staring until Jason spoke.

"My eyes are up here, Katherine." Jason said, teasing the brunette.

Katherine's face went red and she snapped her head up.

"I'm sorry to interrupt your workout, this can wait." Spencer said.

"Really? It didn't sound that way on the phone. It also sounded like it was gonna be just you." Jason said.

"What are you doing back in town?" Spencer asked.

"Just taking care of family business." Jason said. Katherine looked at the pavement by her feet, she had hoped for a different answer. She knew that Jason would never say that he had come back for her in front of Spencer or anyone really but she had hoped he would've. "Why did you come here?"

Spencer took the photo of Alison out of her bag and handed it to Jason. "This was sent to me. It looks like it was taken from the second floor of your house."

"Yeah. It does." Jason said.

"So, why do you sound not convinced?" Spencer asked.

"Look, after Ali disappeared we got bizarre things in the mail. Sympathy cards from strangers, and letters with conspiracy theories about what happened to her. Sometimes it was photos. Blurry images of a blonde girl running away from the camera." Jason said.

"Yeah, but that's definitely Ali and it's my yard. And it was taken the night that she disappeared. I mean, look, she's got the same yellow top on." Spencer said.

"Spence is right, Jason. That has to be real." Katherine said.

"Guys, they have programs now that make photoshop look like scissors and a glue stick. Look, I'll tell you what. My family hired a PI. I'll take the picture to him and see what he comes up with. Ali's memorial was the hardest thing I've ever done. I was a jerk. I know that now." Jason said.

"Well, that wasn't the term that I would've used but-" Spencer started.

"But thank you." Katherine said, interrupting Spencer. "Go ahead, I'll catch up, see you at school." She said, urging Spencer to leave without her. Spencer nodded and left. "I need to know, why did you leave without a word?" Katherine asked.

"I didn't know what to say." Jason said.

"A simple goodbye would've been better than nothing." Katherine said. "Bye, Jason. I'll see you around."

"Bye, Kat." Jason said, the guilt of leaving her eating up at him.

...

"Hanna? Hi." Aria said, walking up to the blonde's locker with Spencer and Katherine. "Who are you talking to?"

"My mom." Hanna said, ending the call.

"Is everything okay?" Spencer asked.

"You look worried. Is Ms. Marin alright?" Katherine said.

"Yeah. Everything's fine." Hanna said.

"Oh, here." Spencer said, getting tickets out of her bag and handing them to Aria. "I forgot to give these to you last night."

"Thank you." Aria said, hugging Spencer. "I owe you big time. Are you sure your dad's not gonna miss these?"

"Please. He joined the museum board for networking. The man doesn't know the difference between a Monet and a mojito." Spencer said.

"I love Peter but this is very true." Katherine said.

"Well, how can I get you back?" Aria asked Spencer.

"Pay for the extra toppings on my pizza delivery." Spencer said.

"Alright, you got it." Aria said.

"Oh, and a DVD rental. Kat and I wanna watch The Social Network and if I have to hole up in my room all night as your alibi I would like to do it with Andrew Garfield." Spencer said.

"Wait, what alibi? Aren't you both going to the museum thingy?" Hanna asked.

"No, Spencer got the tickets for me and Ezra." Aria said.

Katherine looked at Spencer and rolled her eyes. She still hated Ezra Fitz.

"You're taking Mr. Fitz?" Hanna asked.

"I really wish you'd just call him Ezra." Aria said.

"Ew." Katherine said, earning a look from Aria.

"And yes, I'm taking him. He just doesn't know it yet. It's a surprise. I don't know, I just figured that a date out of town would give us a chance to actually have a date." Aria said.

"Because you can't go on dates in town? Because he's your teacher?" Katherine said, giving Aria a fake smile.

"Kat, stop. What Aria's saying is right, it makes sense." Spencer said.

"It's literally illegal." Katherine said.

"Well, so was you and Eric last year but nobody said anything then." Aria said.

"I didn't date him." Katherine said.

"Okay, Kat, I'm taking you to class." Hanna said. "Bye."

...

"Hey, Han." Katherine said, walking up to the blonde girl. "Hey, Caleb. Did you figure it out?"

"Whoever it is, is really talented. Here's your money and your phone. I need more than just your phone to track this person down." Caleb said.

"Seriously? I'll try to find something but I doubt I will. Thanks for trying." Katherine said, handing Caleb a ten since he had at least tried.

"Wait, what did you hire him to do? What did she hire you to do?" Hanna asked.

"Find out where a message is coming from." Katherine said, making Hanna's eyes widen.

"See you two later." Caleb said, walking off.

"Okay, are you insane?" Hanna asked once Caleb was gone.

"We weren't getting anywhere, I thought that maybe he could." Katherine said, shrugging.

...

"Why is this called meat casserole?" Emily asked, as she, Spencer, Katherine, and Aria ate lunch.

"The lunch lady has a gift for suspense." Spencer said.

"Or poison." Katherine said, setting her bowl to the side.

"Where's Hanna?" Spencer asked.

"Who cares." Aria said.

"Woah, what's up?" Katherine said.

"I don't know." Aria said, messing with her salad.

"Em, how's swim practice?" Spencer asked.

"Can we talk about something else?" Emily asked.

"Damn, Spence, get better questions." Katherine said.

"Okay, I've heard of communal cramps but this is ridiculous. What happened to all that first real date excitement?" Spencer said. "I mean, yesterday you were ready to give me tongue for giving you two tickets."

"Would be better than Mr. Pedo." Katherine mumbled, only Emily hearing her.

"You're not into it anymore?" Spencer asked.

"No. I mean, yes! Yeah, I'm so into it, we're gonna have an amazing time tonight." Aria said.

"Okay, so talk. What are you gonna wear?" Spencer said.

"I can't decide between my backless or my strapless." Aria said.

"Go with a red one. Be bold." Spencer said.

"Yeah, because dating your teacher isn't bold enough." Katherine mumbled, Emily being the only one to hear again.

"What do you think, Em, Kat?" Spencer said, turning to the other two girls.

"About what?" Emily asked.

"What are you looking at?" Spencer asked, trying to follow Emily's eyes.

"It's nothing, just some girl on my swim team who wants me to disappear." Emily said.

"What's her name?" Aria asked.

"Paige McCullers." Emily said.

"Pigskin?" Katherine said, sitting up straight.

"Oh, I know her. We played field hockey together, we named a penalty after her." Spencer said.

"Pigskin?" Aria asked.

"Something me and Ali used to call her." Katherine said.

"What'd she say?" Spencer asked.

"Some snarky comment about me being gay." Emily said.

"That's it." Katherine said, standing up and following where Paige went.

"I will destroy her." Spencer said, following Katherine.

"Can I help?" Aria asked, also following Katherine.

"Guys, it's okay." Emily said, trying to stop Katherine.

"Hey, Pigskin." Katherine said, finally catching up with Paige McCullers. Katherine walked up to the taller girl and slapped her across the face. "What the fuck is wrong with you?" She said, shoving Paige. "Do you think that type of shit is cute?" Another shove. "Get over yourself." This time a punch. Paige was about to hit her back when Ezra Fitz came over and pulled Katherine away.

"That's enough!" Ezra yelled. "Detention, all week. Starting today. Katherine, yours will be with me. Paige, yours will be with your swim coach." He said, still holding onto Katherine's arm so she wouldn't attack Paige again.

...

"So, does this cut into date night?" Katherine asked, hoping that Ezra would just let her leave.

"Nope." Ezra said. "Look, I don't wanna be the bad guy here but you can't be starting fights in the hallways."

"She deserved it. She was being homophobic so I hit her." Katherine said.

"And shoved her, Katherine, you broke her nose." Ezra said.

"Good, maybe she'll be a better person." Katherine said.

"Katherine, you called her Pigskin. You bullied her just like how she bullied Emily." Ezra said.

"I'm sorry. I'm sorry about what me and Noel did. It hurt Aria and I hate that." Katherine said, placing the end of her pen on her bottom lip.

Ezra stared at the brunette. "It's fine. You're free to go."

Katherine got up and left without a second of hesitation.

...

"I can't believe I apologized, Spence. I hate him." Katherine said, as the two girls walked into the Hastings home.

"It's a good thing you apologized. You were literally blackmailing him." Spencer said.

"Technically, that was-" Katherine started.

"Jason?" Spencer said, surprised to see the older boy in her living room.

"Your housekeeper let me in. Said I could wait for you here." Jason said, sitting up straight.

"So, what did you private investigator say?" Spencer asked.

"Well, the picture is real." Jason said.

"Oh my god." Katherine said, sitting on the chair closest to her.

"And for all I know I may have taken it." Jason said.

"What do you mean you may have taken it?" Spencer asked.

"I honestly don't remember. I'm not proud of it but that whole August is a blur. I was high for most of it." Jason said.

"All of it?" Katherine asked.

"No, but a lot of it." Jason said, letting Katherine know that he remembered almost every moment between them.

"You were?" Spencer asked.

"Are you surprised?" Jason asked.

"Well, it's just to me you were always Ali's strange older brother. I mean, we never saw you. You were always behind a closed door." Spencer said. Katherine bit her lip so she wouldn't smile at that. She was usually behind that door with him.

"Yeah. Getting high with a bunch of losers." Jason said, making Katherine frown. Was she one of those losers? "You remember that phony your sister used to date?"

"Ian? Ian Thomas?" Spencer asked.

"We partied that whole summer." Jason said. Katherine sat up, that was the slip up. She had told the girls that she had partied with Eric and some others that whole summer. If anyone connected the dots about her friendships, she was done for. All it took was a certain conversation between Aria and Spencer. "After he broke up with your sister he practically lived at my house."

"But Ian's a triathlete. He's the poster boy for preppy." Spencer said.

"Poster boy by day and party boy by night. Convincing though, isn't he?" Jason said, a wide smile spread across his face.

"Hold on, Katherine, you were at those parties. You would go with Eric and Noel and hang out with Melissa whenever Ian brought her. You and Ian are friends. Did you two hang out too?" Spencer said, connecting a few dots.

"No. I remember seeing Jason at a few of them but that's it." Katherine lied.

"Kat! Hi." Jason said, wrapping an arm around Katherine's waist and giving her a kiss on the cheek.

"Hey, babe." Katherine said, turning slightly so they were facing each other. Jason still kept one arm around the younger girls waist and the other hand had a beer in it. Katherine leaned in and they kissed for a moment before Eric and Ian yelled their names and they walked over to the group.

"Hey, lovebirds." Eric said, so drunk he wouldn't remember the relationship by morning.

"Seriously, CeCe?" Some guy said, he was by the stairs and looked like he was going to cry and the tall blonde walked away from him.

Katherine's attention was on Melissa who was drunk rambling about how much she loved Katherine.

"Hey, Jason." CeCe said, winking at the blonde boy while Katherine was still fully focused on Melissa.

"I'll be right back, babe." Jason said, removing his arm from around Katherine and leaving her to talk to Melissa as he hung out with CeCe.

"So, the shadow in the picture isn't Ian, it's you?" Aria asked.

"Yeah." Spencer said.

"Spence, Alison loved starting fights. If I was in your position, I would've followed her too." Katherine said.

"Why didn't you tell us before?" Emily asked.

"I don't know." Spencer said. "I guess, that I was scared. And this is gonna sound crazy, but I think that I didn't tell you because there was always a part of me that wondered if it was my fault. I mean, I wished it and then it became true."

"It was not your fault, I wished it too. It was not your fault, Spencer." Katherine said.

"Besides, Ali has said stuff to us that was worse, much worse, right?" Aria said. Spencer nodded but in a matter of seconds her attention was to the window. "Spence?" She said, as they all followed Spencer's gaze and then followed her over to the window. "Oh my god."

"Is that?" Emily started.

"That's Jason." Hanna said.

Katherine locked eyes with Jason, and they both knew that their worlds were falling apart, piece by piece. It started with Alison's disappearance, then their break up, then the murder, and now he was back in the DiLaurentis home.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

89.1K 1.8K 38
Ali comes back from the dead and Emily realizes that the feelings she had for Ali came back. Does Ali love emily as much as she loves her? Is Ali sti...
250K 7.8K 75
Alison Dilaurentis, the new one in here. Shy, unconfident, betrayed. Emily Fields, mysterious, does whatever she wants, doesn't care about anything. ...
106K 3.9K 74
Secrets couldn't stay buried if the dead girl didn't. Now that Alison DiLaurentis was alive and well, it was up to her friends to bring her back to R...
7.7K 199 21
What if Alison and Courtney DiLaurentis resolved their issues years ago and are now best friends? A has come to wreak havoc on Alison's life by using...