Accidental Arriviste || Gensh...

By aguerei

This story follows closely to the Prologue Archon Quests with an exception of a few changes to fit in the rea... More

Prologue: Strange Mirror
I: Getting a Little OP
II: The Boy and The Dragon
III: Did She Just Step on Me!?
IV: Welcome to Mondstadt! Kind of...
V: The Knights of Favonius
VI: The [Stupid] Fatui
VII: It's That Green Guy!
VIII: Magical Tree
IX: "Holy Lyre"? More Like "Holy Shit"!
X: Holy Heist
XI: Operation HL-Start!
XII: Dvalin Protection Squad!
XIV: Dvalin Protection Squad Arrives!
XV: Easing the Storms
XVI: The Aftermath

XIII: Reconvene

558 34 5
By aguerei

During the time you spent with no contact from Diluc, you resorted to more training with Aether. Though whenever your session ends, you find yourself retreating to the place you rented quite often. Mondstadt just... reminded you too much of your parents, so you never bothered to join Aether and Paimon on their little adventures outside your usual regimen. In the first two days, Aether and Paimon had nearly dragged you out of the inn, but even then they were unsuccessful with their (several) attempts. So in turn, they just brought you souvenirs from their journeys. You did appreciate their effort in trying to get you out the house, but you just can't help but feel a little homesick.

One day, you wake up to find Paimon snoring at the foot of your bed and Aether laying on his abdomen on the bed beside you, his usual outfit replaced with a simple white shirt and brown pajama pants, "Oh? Are you not going out with Paimon today?"

He stuffs his head onto the pillow, "No. Don't feel like it."

You nodded, "Understandable. Do you want to talk about it?"

He hesitated, "I... I just miss my sister."

Ah, family.

You lean against the headboard as Aether rambles on, "I mean, don't get me wrong, I love your company and all... but things just feel so... out of place without her, y'know? We're literally yin and yang. We're twins, for archons' sake. There was never a time where we were separated from each other until now."

"We always got each other's backs. I wish she was here to comfort me like old times. That even when our world got... destroyed... we'll find a home in each other. But now that she's missing... Who do I turn to... to feel like home?"

You can feel your heartstrings get tugged from his words, "Yeah, when you walk around Mondstadt at the end of the day as people go home to the people they love, you'd feel so envious because they have someone to go home to. Watching them makes you feel so... out of place... in a place that treasures its connections so much."

You notice Aether quietly snivelling beside you but you pay no mind because after all, crying once in a while is good for your health, "Thank you, Y/N. At least I know I'm not alone... in being lonely..."

You chuckle, "If you put it like that, you make us sound so miserable." You get on your feet as quietly as you can without waking up the fae and walk towards Aether, climbing onto his bed. He looks at you with confusion but moves aside to make space for you nonetheless. You give him a side hug, hoping it would make him feel better.

"What do you want to eat later? I'll make us some food."

"... Pile 'Em Up would be nice."

-

"Y/N, Diluc asked us to gather at the Winery before noon. We should head out as early as possible."

"Alright, thanks. Just let me get ready and we'll head out."

Yesterday, you decided to go shopping for some... battle-appropriate clothes with Amber. Despite the mishap that happened the first time you two met, you actually hit it off quite nicely. After she saw you wandering around the plaza, you told her about your plan of getting new clothes. The girl was so excited, thanking Barbatos for the opportunity to hang out with you (as she happened to have the day off). Then, she dragged you from shop to shop, inquiring the salesperson in each shop about battle-appropriate clothing. You managed to buy at least four different outfits before retiring to the inn you stayed at. You thanked her profusely for guiding you around Mondstadt, to which she denies, saying, "It's only right I do that after what I did to you when we... first met."

So now, you're standing in front of the mirror, contemplating which costume you'll try on first. After asking Paimon to pick a number (with each corresponding to a specific outfit), you wear the outfit and do a little twirl to see how it looks in front of the mirror. The costume hugs your body perfectly, complementing your body type with ease—and not to mention, comfortable, too. Satisfied, you stuff your other clothes in your inventory, and exit the room.

You greet your two companions at Good Hunter who are eating their breakfast. Aether compliments your new outfit as Paimon waves at you and ushers you to sit down and enjoy the meal with them. You chat about your recent adventures and small things about Earth—more specifically, your smartphone.

"Oh, this? It's an item that's... not necessarily something you need, but you also can't really live without one."

"Huh...? How does that make sense?" Paimon asks.

"It's like... you don't need to have one of these to survive, but it's also difficult because it's a societal norm."

Paimon ponders over your statement and nods. You don't believe that she understands what you said, but moves on regardless, "So how does it work?"

"Well, we're able to communicate with others using this chunk of metal. It has really complicated functions that I'm not too sure about, but it's really cool! If you had one of these and you were across the world, I'd still be able to talk to you without a problem." You explain, "There are downsides to it, though. You'd have to recharge it once in a while, but it'll let you know when it does. And it depends on where you are when you use it. If you're up on a mountain like Starsnatch Cliff and you tried talking to me through this, it won't necessarily be the best option because the nature there can interfere with it. But if you talk to me at Dawn Winery, it'll make the connection between this phone and your hypothetical phone."

"Mm..." Aether nods, "So it's basically... as if you had a pigeon that can send messages really fast?"

"Exactly. And not only can it send messages, but you can play games with it. You can even order food here, and you can choose whether or not to pick up the food yourself or if you want it brought to your home."

Paimon's eyes haze over your phone, her mind suddenly running amok on the food she can order.

"There's also this camera option. I can take a picture of us right now and it'll show up here. It's like someone painting us right now except this one creates the image not even a second later and is saved here as a memory you can look back on later."

"Ooh, can we try it? Please!" The fairy begs.

You chuckle, "Yeah, of course. Would you be okay with it, Aether?"

The boy shoves the last of his pancake in his mouth and nods.

You take out your phone and swipe left, opening the shortcut to the Camera App. You hold it up to take a selfie, with Paimon and Aether in the background. You smile at the camera and hold up a peace sign as Paimon copies you. Aether looks at the phone curiously as you press the white button in the middle.

Excitedly, Paimon asks, "Can we see it, can we see it?"

"Yes, here."

You slide your phone towards Paimon and Aether as they crowd around it. You tap on the thumbnail of the current photo you took with them from the bottom left, and the image shows up automatically.

"Woah, this is so cool. It's like someone put all of us in here holding the same pose we had earlier! Are you sure you're not from Fontaine? Those guys have a knack for these kinds of things."

You shake your head, and even comment about your non-Fontainian attire when you first met. Aether stares at your device in bewilderment, "Your world... has reached such an advanced era."

You snort, "Not to mention corrupt but I guess it is."

The blond raises his eyebrow at your comment as you finish the last of your pancake, "C'mon, Paimon. We gotta get there fast. Maybe I can take more pictures—and ones that move."

"Those things can move, too!?"

-

You three run as fast as you can towards the Winery, but not before you admire the serene atmosphere. The crystal flies that hover around the vineyard, the strong scent of unfiltered wine, and the homey feeling the vibes give off from the building.

You see Jean, Diluc, and Venti huddling at the winery's front yard, and you see a lack of employees tending to the vinery. You wonder if the redhead made them attend to other matters so you all will be left undisturbed.

"The Abyss Order... Enemies of the human race. Even the underground networks really come across any information on them. With that said," The tavern owner looks up at all of you as you wave to the three, "It was a bit of a hassle, but I managed to dig up a few clues."

Venti applauds, "Really? That quickly? You really are connected, Master Diluc."

Paimon crosses her arms and looks at the bard questioningly, "Come to think of it, Mr. Big Anemo God Barbatos—why exactly do you need the help of mere humans?"

"Ah... How do I put it..." He scratches his head, " 'The Seven' as people know them, were once known as 'The Seven Archons'. Each archon presides over their own part of Teyvat. That is the role the archons play. Only in performing this duty can we attain power, but I don't like the idea of 'ruling' Mondstadt—and I don't feel like Mondstadt would really like it either."

Jean nods and puts a hand above her heart, " 'Go forth and establish a city of freedom without rule.' We have not forgotten Barbatos' wish for Mondstadt."

She glances at Venti who smiles at her. Paimon wiggles in the air, "You're such a devotee! Maybe someone got a little too free and is just too lazy to care..."

The fae stares at the archon accusingly, the latter chuckling, "Ah... However it may have come to be... I haven't been back to Mondstadt for an extended period of time."

He scoffs and places his hands on his hips, "Without a doubt, I am now the weakest archon among The Seven!"

You and Aether share a glance and you hide your laughter. The blond boy speaks up, "And yet you sound almost proud..."

"Aww, you flatter me!"

You can hear Diluc sighing at the god, "Oh, such a humble god... Is it a blessing or a curse? But we digress. Let's get back to the topic at hand: the common enemy of all mankind. We have tracked the Abyss Mage to the vicinity of the winery."

Jean clasps her hands, "I cannot stress enough how important it is to not let it escape."

-

"Huh? What's this?"

Iridescent orbs release themselves from the slain Abyss Mage. Its faint glow captures your attention.

"After the Abyss Mage was defeated, a certain energy dispersed itself from its body. It seems that energy was being used to cut off the connection between me and Dvalin." Venti then looks up at you and the blond boy, "Travellers, do you know of Stormterror's Lair?"

You and Aether look at each other questioningly. You heard the name mentioned in some denizens' conversations, so you speak up, "I think I've heard people talking about it in Mondstadt."

The bard nods, "Of course. I believe the people of Mondstadt all know of it. After Dvalin woke up, he took the ancient ruins as his lair. As it was with the storms that previously cut Mondstaft off from the outside world, the entrance to the ruins is also sealed by a special barrier."

He turns away and faces where the creature had fallen with a grim look on his face, "But now, as the energy dispersed from the Abyss Mage, I was able to read the rhythmic flow of how the barrier's magic was woven. I must admit, it sounds even more horrendous than a chorus of hilichurls, but it should be enough to let us break through the storm barrier and reach Stormterror's Lair."

Diluc crosses his arms, an aloof expression still maintained, "Which means we're going to confront Dvalin? I'm fine with that. Jean is the one who wishes to avoid any direct confrontation."

The woman shakes her head, "No. When there are no other options left, it is my responsibility to alter our course of action. If slaying him is our only option, I will gladly become the knight that leads the charge."

"Fortunately, we have yet to need to go that far."

Diluc and Jean turn to the caped boy, "By that you mean..."

"I mean that the Holy Lyre is not our trump card. Our real trump card?" Venti points to Aether, "Aether, of course."

Paimon cups her chin with her fingers, "Aether?"

"Is it because I purified the Teardrop Crystal?" He asks.

"Agreed. The impurities in the tears, and the curse that binds Dvalin belong to the same maleficent power."

Paimon's eyes widened in realization, "You Tone-Deaf Bard, don't you see how crazy this is? You've seen what Dvalin is like when he's ticked off! Traveller will be swallowed whole before he even gets to lift a finger!"

Aether becomes dejected beside you, and you give him a pat on the back, "Weren't we just talking about how Aether can fight?"

Diluc hums, "Nice plan. Worth a shot."

Jean smiles encouragingly at Aether, "I am with you, Honorary Knight!"

Paimon cradles her head, overwhelmed, "So we just need to fight monsters from the Abyss and a dragon! No pressure or anything."

"Humans aren't without their strengths. Let's go."

Your group leaves to go to the entrance of the Lair, with Venti seemingly pleased by the outcome, "And so... The epic actions of brave heroes finally leads to this eleventh hour."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.5K 61 30
I know, I know, it's been what, more than a year, since the last chapter posted on anything before I left and didn't give any news? Well, I decided t...
8K 414 27
Furina is dealing with the aftermath of the trauma that unfolded in her five hundred years of living as an Archon. The prophecy and the flood have le...
9.2K 185 27
Yae Y/n.The older twin sister of Yae Miko, she fought alongside the gods in the archon war even without knowing the whole truth behind it.She and her...
26.6K 1.1K 23
❝ 𝚃𝚑𝚎 𝚜𝚝𝚛𝚘𝚗𝚐𝚎𝚜𝚝 𝚌𝚘𝚗𝚝𝚛𝚊𝚌𝚝𝚜 𝚊𝚛𝚎 𝚝𝚑𝚘𝚜𝚎 𝚝𝚑𝚊𝚝 𝚌𝚘𝚖𝚎 𝚏𝚛𝚘𝚖 𝚋𝚕𝚘𝚘𝚍.❞ Thousands of years ago, Rex Lapis made a con...