If Given A Chance... || ORV

By fckinsimp

'If one was given one more chance to change the method of acquiring your desired conclusion while also saving... More

Prologue
Chapter 1 - Back to the Start (1)
Chapter 2 - Back to the Start (2)
Chapter 4 - Preparations
Chapter 5 - Preparations (2)
Chapter 6 - Trio
hiatus i'm sorry

Chapter 3 - Reader's Viewpoint

1.3K 71 45
By fckinsimp

Note: Will undergo thorough proofreading and editing.

Warning: This story will contain profanity, mature themes, and violence. Exit now if you feel uncomfortable with any of the themes. Poor grammar and wording are also present in this story, you have been warned.

−−−−−−−−−−−−−−

Kim Dokja's POV

I was currently grabbed by the neck and hanging like a monkey. If someone would have seen this, they would have thought of it as a ludicrous sight.

"Name."

"What?"

"Your name."

Look at this indifferent way of talking, just like a main character. Arrogant sunfish. His grip on my neck is really firm but surprisingly, it doesn't hurt. However, it still wasn't a good idea to provoke him here.

"Kim Dokja."

After answering, the grip on my neck seemed to have relaxed a bit.

What the?

Shouldn't Yoo Joonghyuk's personality in this regression turn, be worned out? He should have been more aggressive when spotting an unknown variable like me, I expected him to be hitting or punching me in the stomach but he wasn't, instead, he relaxed his grip.

He's acting a bit different from the 3rd regression Yoo Joonghyuk I read about. But that doesn't change the fact that he has hold of my neck and is hovering me over a blank space.

"How did you survive on the subway?"

Straight to the point I see. It was a question I expected.

"Will you spare me if I answer?"

"I'll see."

It was a... lie? Something seems off about Yoo Joonghyuk because by looking at his face, he actually seemed genuine. He'll genuinely think about sparing me?

Did a scene like this happen in Ways of Survival? I don't quite remember.

...

I think my eyes were playing tricks on me again because I saw a hint of longing in him. There shouldn't be any reason for this regressor to feel like that after seeing me, if anything, he should be wary of me.

Did something happen in his past regression that I don't know of?

"Answer me."

My chaotic train of thoughts were interrupted and I was met by a glare.

I held my breath then started the story. I told the story using as much concise, short and accurate vocabulary as possible. It was from the first moment the 'dokkaebi' appeared in the subway to the end of the first scenario. Of course, I excluded the skills I got and any important issues.

"You cleared the scenario by killing insects?"

"We were lucky."

This guy. He doesn't seem to be shocked at all, not even a little bit. He doesn't even look like he's suspicious of me. It was as if he already knew that me, along with the others, would have survived by killing those insects.

"You have keen eyes. How did you know there were insects in the carriage?"

What was this guy thinking of? He's acting way too different from the original 3rd turn in the novel.

"An explosion."

Yoo Joonghyuk simply stared at me.

Okay, I definitely need to have my eyes checked since I thought I saw the corner of his lips curl a split second ago.

"You 'coincidentally' found insects due to the explosion? Is that what you were trying to say?"

Shivers went down my spine as I listened to his smug sounding words. Unfortunately, I can now confidently say that this Yoo Joonghyuk in front of me is different from the original Yoo Joonghyuk of the 3rd regression turn.

"It was a lucky coincidence." I answered, staring right back at him. Yoo Joonghyuk looked over beyond the broken bridge, sporting a calm and unfazed expression.

"Are those your only questions?" I unknowingly gulped.

"Yes."

"Then can you let me go? And let's go to Oksu together. There isn't much time remaining to clear the scenario." There were approximately 5 minutes left till the end of this scenario.

"Hm."

What's this sunfish thinking about now? Emotions like nervousness, irritation, and worriedness were now mixing inside of me.

"You seem too calm and well-adjusted to this changed world." As soon as he finished talking, his right eye shined a gold/orangey color. I quickly realized what he was doing. In fact, I would have found it even weirder if this guy didn't use 'that'.

[Sage's Eyes]. Yoo Joonghyuk's strongest detection skill. [Sage's Eyes] was the SS-grade skill that showed the target's attributes window as well as hidden information. As long as he used it, I couldn't avoid revealing my identity.

Now that it's come to this, this might actually be beneficial for me. I don't even know my own 'attributes' and 'skills'. Although I'll be revealing it all to Yoo Joonghyuk, I should take this chance to gain information of myself—

[ The exclusive skill, 'Fourth Wall' is activated! ]

[ 'Fourth Wall' has detected the use of the detection skill 'Sage's Eyes'! ]

Sparks flew towards the air and Yoo Joonghyuk's body staggered. He covered his right eye and watched me with... appeasement?

"You..!"

I'm sorry but what the hell was that look?

His grip on my neck tightened. My breathing had been restricted but not to the point that I would choke, but it was still suffocating. His eyes were now fiercely stabbing me.

"Who really are you!?"

To think I had a skill that would defend against [Sage's Eyes]. After [Bookmark], it was [Fourth Wall]. Things are getting complicated fast. I don't why Yoo Joonghyuk acts differently from the original novel but I still need to be prepared. I need to change plans.

"Yoo Joonghyuk."

"How did you know my—"

"You need reliable companions."

Surprisingly, he seemed intrigued and listened to whatever I was about to say. No matter how odd the situation is, I have to take this chance!

"You can't break through the 46th scenario alone. Shouldn't you be well aware of it?"

Yoo Joonghyuk's eyes narrowed.

"...How do you know this? Are you perhaps-"

"It doesn't matter who I am. The important thing is that I can help you."

I stared straight into Yoo Joonghyuk's eyes. I had an idea of what he may think I actually am, a 'Prophet.' Though in reality, I'm not, but I'll be using this misunderstanding to my advantage.

Prophet. In Ways of Survival, it was the only attribute that could see the future and had the passive of 'nullifying all detection skills.' In fact, only one person had the attribute of 'Prophet' in the world of Ways of Survival.

"Yoo Joonghyuk, I know the future that you don't."

[ The character 'Yoo Joonghyuk' has used the 'Lie Detection' skill. ]

[ 'Lie Detection' has confirmed that your statement is the truth. ]

Yoo Joonghyuk's seemed smug. What the hell is this idiot thinking? To be making such a face right now?

"Can you perhaps use [Future Sight]?"

"It is something similar."

"You knew I would come here."

"Yes."

Now he had a look of satisfaction. Why? I haven't had the slightest clue why.

"I know that Yoo Joonghyuk has special powers. You also know things about the future. Isn't that right?"

"..."

"But that knowledge is never perfect."

"You want me to make you my companion since you can fill in the parts that I am lacking."

I was caught off guard by Yoo Joonghyuk's words. I wasn't expecting that.

This bastard is seeming to be quite omniscient now. For the past few minutes that we were conversing, he was completely unfazed, like he had expected every single thing that's happening right now. Tch.

Whatever the reason why he was acting like this, I'll worry about that later. First, I needed to survive my current predicament.

There was no companion as good as a 'Prophet' to this current Yoo Joonghyuk. He bowed his head, he looked like he was thinking.

[ There are two minutes to the end of the scenario. ]

There was a look of nostalgia on Yoo Joonghyuk's before he lifted his head and answered.

" I have decided, I will make you my companion."

Yoo Joonghyuk started to take me across the 'Even Bridge.' Of course, I was still being held by the collar but... I thought things would be alright now.

Though I still needed to figure out why this bastard started acting differently from the original. The way he eyed and talked to me seemed as if he knew me. And if he did, how? Was I in his last regression turn? Was I his companion in his last turn? If so, why wasn't I mentioned in Ways of Survival?

I needed to know what this bastard was thinking. And as if to answer my wishes.

[ Your understanding of the character 'Yoo Joonghyuk' has increased. ]

[ The conditions of use for the exclusive skill 'Omniscient Reader's Viewpoint' Stage 2 has been reached! ]

What is this?

[ Do you want to activate the exclusive skill? ]

After a moment, I was able to read a certain someone's thoughts like a waterfall in my head.

「He is going to pretend on being a 'prophet' huh?」

「He looked a bit shocked and confused...」

「It seems like Kim Dokja is suspicious on the sudden change of my behavior.」

「To think he noticed this fast, he's quite the sharp fool.」

「It's a shame I can't join his party. Not yet at least.」

...Is this guy serious? He's actually going to agree to being my companion? And what does he mean 'Not yet'? Wait no, that isn't the main point here. He knew I was just pretending?

Countless questions were rioting inside my mind as my senses began to dull. The wind flowing from the river could barely be felt as we crossed over. Questions still kept on piling as I tried to think of answers to my previous questions. In other words, my head was a mess.

"-okja."

How did he know I was just pretending? Did I really exist in this guy's last regression? If so, did we fail the last turn?

"-m Dokja."

...That can't be the case since this guy seemed to not be affected by the failed regression turn. No matter what answer I try to formulate, most things still don't make sense.

"Don't make me keep on calling you."

A stinging sensation was felt as I looked up to see an infuriated Yoo Joonghyuk stabbing glares at me. I recently noticed that we were right in front of a safe area. We would be able to clear the scenario if we enter now, the only problem was Yoo Joonghyuk wasn't moving.

"You're still the same infuriating fool I remember."

"Ng?"

"I will only tell you one thing as of now. This isn't a regression turn."

"!?!"

"If you want answers, survive and come back."

"What are yo-?! Wai—"

Confused at his words, I stared at his dark abyss-like eyes as his hand raised me up a little bit and a gentle breeze passed by my feet. Feeling that underneath me was completely empty, I started sweating.

[ The 'Fourth Wall' has offset some of your confusion and mental shock! ]

[ The 'Fourth Wall' has organized your thoughts! ]

Yoo Joonghyuk, a handsome, crappy, and inexpressive cold-hearted regressor whose emotions are buried deep within, due to reliving the same hell over and over again. That's how he was described in the novel, but that description doesn't precisely fit the man who was planning on feeding me to an ichthyosaur.

Continuing to think about the whats, ifs, hows, and whys will only confuse and piss me off so it's better to just get this over with and question him later on.

To think the [Fourth Wall] had the ability to offset some of the confusion, it really calmed me down. 

He was holding me at the edge of the bridge where there were nothing but rocks, flowing water, and the mouth of an ichthyosaur underneath. He looked at me like he was asking if it was alright to let go.

Seriously? Is this guy even Yoo Joonghyuk?

"Get your hand off me and get lost already, you damn jerk."

There was a tiny hint of hesitation before the power holding me disappeared and I was grabbed by the force of gravity. I watched Yoo Joonghyuk's face as I was falling, he was smiling softly as he watched me fall. His eyes openly expressed with dread and worry, as if he had let go of something extremely precious.

「You better survive Kim Dokja. If not, I'll follow you to the afterlife and personally drag you back.」

For real? Despite reading his mind, I can't quite understand him.

I closed my eyes from the shock of the impact along with the cold water of Han River. As I sucked in a breath, a warm and enormous darkness swallowed me up.

[ You have failed to clear the scenario. ]

...Damn, I have to use that method after all.

−−−−−−−−−−−−−−

A/N: Despite being really shitty at it, Yoo Joonghyuk really tried to act. I applaud him.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

286K 6K 33
WATTPAD BOOKS EDITION You do magic once, and it sticks to you like glitter glue... When Johnny and his best friend, Alison, pass their summer holid...