Grim Echoes

ryanahunter

Maeve's ability to touch others' souls can be heartbreaking and confusing, but when she connects with two mur... Еще

Content Warning / Dedication
Chapter 1 - Maeve
Chapter 2 - Will
Chapter 3 - Ander
Chapter 4 - Maeve
Chapter 5 - Ander
Chapter 6 - Maeve
Chapter 7 - Maeve
Chapter 8 - Will
Chapter 9 - Will
Chapter 10 - Ander
Chapter 11 - Maeve
Chapter 12 - Will
Chapter 13 - Maeve
Chapter 14 - Ander
Chapter 15 - Ander
Chapter 16 - Ander
Chapter 17 - Maeve
Chapter 18 - Ander
Chapter 19 - Will
Chapter 20 - Maeve
Chapter 21 - Ander
Chapter 22 - Will
Chapter 23 - Ander
Chapter 24 - Will
Part 1
Chapter 25 - Maeve
Chapter 26 - Will
Chapter 27 - Ander
Chapter 28 - Will
Chapter 29 - Will
Chapter 30 - Maeve
Chapter 31 - Maeve
Chapter 32 - Will
Chapter 33 - Maeve
Chapter 34 - Ander
Chapter 35 - Will
Chapter 36 - Will
Chapter 37 - Maeve
Chapter 38 - Will
Chapter 39 - Maeve
Chapter 40 - Will
Chapter 41 - Maeve
Chapter 42 - Ander
Chapter 43 - Will
Chapter 44 - Maeve
Chapter 45 - Maeve
Chapter 46 - Ander
Chapter 47 - Tessa
Chapter 48 - Maeve
Chapter 49 - Will
Chapter 50 - Maeve
Chapter 51 - Maeve
Chapter 52 - Maeve
Chapter 54 - Will
Chapter 55 - Ander
Chapter 56 - Maeve
Chapter 57 - Ander
Chapter 58 - Maeve
Chapter 59 - Maeve
Chapter 60 - Will
Chapter 61 - Maeve
Chapter 62 -Will
Chapter 63 - Maeve
Chapter 64 -Ander
Chapter 65 - Will
Chapter 66 - Ander
Chapter 67 - House Merciless
Part II
Chapter 68 - Will
Chapter 69 - Maeve
Chapter 70 - Will
Chapter 71 - Maeve
Chapter 72 - Will
Chapter 73 - Maeve
Chapter 74 - Ander
Chapter 75 - Maeve
Chapter 76 - Ander
Chapter 77 - Maeve
Chapter 78 - Maeve
Chapter 79 - Ander
Chapter 80 - Maeve
Chapter 81 - Will
Chapter 82 - Maeve
Chapter 83 - Ander
Chapter 84 - Will
Chapter 85 - Ander
Chapter 86 - Maeve
Chapter 87 - Sorcerer
Chapter 88 - Will
Chapter 89 - Ander
What's next?
Jagged Embrace - Live!!

Chapter 53 - Maeve

64 5 1
ryanahunter

As Maeve and Will crossed the threshold to the dilapidated building, she was glad she held Will's hand. Inside was a hazard-zone. Ignoring the disrepair of the building, there were half finished weapons all over the place. The Pastor had areas for specific types of weapons but it was clear he had dozens of simultaneous projects. In the middle of tables and built in workspaces there was what could be called a living room. It had a couch and two chairs with a table and TV. The furniture sat in the middle of the warehouse, on a rug that covered the concrete floor. Will led her there, but before they sat an older thin man appeared from the left. His voice boomed. Maeve's stomach tightened.

"So glad you came to see me, Billy!" Pastor Mallory wrapped his arms around Will and squeezed him tightly. "Thrilled you're seeking a blessing. You know how important that is." he turned his gaze to her and smiled. "Must be your good influence on Billy," he said with a wink.

Maeve smiled back, not sure what he'd meant. Without warning, Pastor Mallory hugged her. She was stunned at the strength of the thin older man. She hugged him back.

He stepped back and looked back and forth between them. "Have you got him back in church yet?"

Maeve froze, unsure how to respond.

"Don't get too crazy, Pastor M. I agreed to the blessing because it was important to Maeve, but I'm not ready for all that." Will spoke quickly and saved her from saying the wrong thing.

Pastor Mallory nodded and gestured for them to sit. "One thing at a time, I suppose. Perhaps I won't have to pray for you and Andy's souls every night now. Just every other," Pastor Mallory said quietly and sat on one of the chairs.

Will took Maeve's hand, and they sat.

"How's he been?" Pastor Mallory's voice became serious.

"He's been doing better, mostly. He's on this mission but doing research right now. You know how he loves that shit."

"Language William, your bride to be is sitting beside you,"

Maeve's eyes widened when Will muttered a brief apology.

"The devil had a hold of him," Pastor Mallory said and hung his head. "Unfortunately, his experiences will always be with him but we saved his soul."

"We're vigilant, Pastor M, always watching over him, looking for the signs,"

Pastor Mallory nodded, and his face relaxed before he stood and patted Will on the shoulder. "I know, Billy, you've always looked out for your brother. Satan doesn't stand a chance with you and Mason watching over him." he wandered off toward the back table, covered in bladed weapons.

Brother? She thought Ander was Will's cousin, of course Pastor Mallory thought she was his fiance. He wrapped up what looked like a small sword.

"This is what Mason called about." he carried over the wrapped sword and handed it to Will.

Will took the sword and put it behind them on the couch.

Pastor Mallory stood there and stared at something behind them. He remained motionless until it was uncomfortable and then shook his head like he wanted to clear it. "So much to be done..." he shuffled to a different table that had various weapons, including what looked like arrows from a distance.

Will's eyes lit up, but he remained seated and waited until Pastor Mallory brought them over and presented them. Will took them from him and put most of them on the coffee table in front of them. He chose one and held it up and allowed the sunlight to reflect off its shaft and tip. To Maeve, it looked like any ordinary arrow. The way Will gazed at it seemed more like he was going to ask it to marry him and not her. She looked away as the thought ran through her mind.

"Pastor M, these are... beautiful," Will spoke with reverence.

Pastor Mallory beamed at the compliment and returned to his chair. Will continued to stare at the arrow like it was made of gold.

"Where'd you two kids meet?" Pastor Mallory looked directly at Maeve.

Crap. No choice now. "Will saved me from some monsters," Maeve replied. Her intuition told her to keep her answers truthful or as close to truthful as possible, but not to give too much away.

Pastor Mallory nodded. Apparently it was an acceptable answer.

"And you understand once you are married, as a Soldier of Night, there is a possibility you will become a single mother? Of course the Soldiers of Night will take care of you as they do all the spouses,"

Maeve wasn't sure what to say, so she nodded. Will's hand suddenly rested against the small of her back.

"She knows the drill, Pastor M, heck she's been on a mission with us and it wasn't the monsters trying to get her," Will said, and turned his gaze to her. His expression confirmed not to say too much.

"Ah, are you thinking of being a soldier in the field as well?" Pastor Mallory scrutinized her.

"No, I just wanted to get an idea before I agreed to marriage," she replied.

"Smart girl, very smart. I can't tell you how many women I've had to counsel because they didn't truly understand their husband's dedication to eradicating Satan's creatures from this good earth, before they took the vows." He shook his head. "Its bad enough of a sin to divorce, but attempting to break vows with the Soldiers of Night, well even I'm not that foolish,"

She didn't let her face to change its current expression, lest he'd know they'd lied. But his words about the Soldiers of Night sounded a bit too close to a cult or mafia. She reminded herself Pastor Mallory might be functional but obviously had issues and his perception might not be correct.

"Was it just the one thing Mason wanted me to pick up?" Will inquired.

Pastor Mallory nodded and opened his mouth, but then closed it and sat back. After a deep breath, followed by a weary sigh, he slowly leaned forward. His expression lined with concern. Maeve didn't know how old Pastor Mallory was, but at that moment he looked hundreds of years old and tired. So tired.

"Billy, I tell you this because I've always cared for you boys and your aunt. Mason is a strong woman who's had a hard life but her faith to the cause has never wavered, not even when it took everything from her." he paused and clasp his hand together. "When Satan had hold of your brother, it renewed my faith." he looked up at the crumbling ceiling. "When we saved him it brought me closer to God, gave me the strength to keep fighting this war. Dark times are ahead. Darker than we've ever seen before." He brought his head down and moved his hands to his forehead.

"You heard something from the network?" Will asked with narrowed eyes. The muscles in his arms and chest tightened the way they did when he thought something threatened them.

Pastor Mallory chuckled, but it held no humor. "I wish I had Billy, I wish I had. This came from higher up." he pointed to the ceiling.

Will shifted on the couch, his body suddenly relaxed.

"Its hard to tell the exact time-line for things, you know how it is. We are at the end of times,"

Maeve's body stiffened. Did Pastor Mallory mean it was the end of times like in Revelations? She'd learned God existed because of angels and demons. Did it mean the Bible was literally correct? Were they in the end times right now?

"Pastor M, we've been in the end times, that's why we have to fight every day," Will said softly.

"No Billy, not that. I mean yes, we're at the end of humanity as it's been known," Pastor Mallory pitched forward even more. "Its worse, so much worse," his voice broke at the end.

"It's ok, Pastor M. We don't have to talk about it now. We can talk about it next time."

"There may not be a next time!" Pastor Mallory almost yelled. "I'm a god fearing man. I've always believed in the word of god but this... without him we're all doomed."

"What do you mean?" Will asked, his tone calm and level.

Pastor Mallory lifted his gaze to the ceiling again. "His reign will end with abominations of gods, monsters and men," he whispered. His eyes flicked down and then darted around like he'd be struck with lightening. "How will our souls be saved without his mercy?"

Maeve sat still as a statue. His words repeated themselves in her mind. Couldn't breathe. Couldn't think. Her vision blurred and went white. The last thing she heard was faint silvery laughter from a female.

"Maeve, can you hear me?" Will's voice called to her.

She felt something soft against her back and slowly opened her eyes. Will was above her. His eyes crinkled with concern. Seconds later, Pastor Mallory popped into her view on the other side. Will helped her sit up. She was on the couch.

"You ok?"

"Yeah, I just. We didn't eat this morning and I think I should've." she gave them both a weak smile.

"Right, we need to get some food in you. I'm sorry, Pastor M, we gotta go."

"No, no of course. We had a good chat while we waited for your lovely fiancé to wake,"

Will helped Maeve stand.

"Let's get this done," Pastor Mallory said, and made a quick sign of the cross before he spoke again. "Grace to you and peace from our Lord Jesus Christ, who loved us and gave himself up for us. God's grace is a constant need for everyone, at all times. No one can doubt that members of the Soldiers of Night have special need of that grace when they are preparing to form a new family. And so, let us ask God's blessing upon our brother William Levitt and sister Maeve Treyheart,"

Will took her hands and held them. What was going on? She stood stiffly but didn't pull away. Pastor Mallory must've not noticed because he kept speaking.

"That they may grow in mutual respect, love, and approach the celebration of holy matrimony chastely through appropriate companionship and prayer together,"

His words blended together, and Maeve worried she might pass out again. She stared at Will, whose steely eyes held her in place, forced her compliance, and simultaneously gave her the strength needed to stay upright and not hyperventilate.

"Did you bring the ring, Billy?"

"I haven't picked it up yet, that's in the next place we're going for a mission," Will replied but kept his eyes trained on her.

Pastor Mallory started speaking again, but Maeve's heart beat so loud it drowned out all other noises. Will squeezed her hands and signaled it was over. She blinked.

"Gotta get her to the SUV. Thanks again, Pastor M,"

Maeve waved to Pastor Mallory, still dizzy, as Will led her out of the crumbled structure to the passenger side of the SUV. Once she was in her seat, he ran back in to retrieve his precious arrows and small sword for Mason. They slowly backed out and headed back to the road.

"Why didn't you tell me that was going to happen?" she snapped at him.

"You want to truth or you want me to pacify you?"

"The truth,"

"Didn't think you'd agree, and I needed to get the arrows and blade for Mason," he replied. "Look, I know you're pissed, but the thing is Pastor M, well, you saw, he isn't right. He's more paranoid about strangers than Mason and I combined, and that's saying something. If he didn't think we were together or if he'd known that I've only known you for a week, he'd have lost his shit or worse. It was easier this way,"

"But why your fiancé?"

"Oh that, he's old school. You heard all that religious nonsense." Will paused. "I've never had a girl with me before. He doesn't really understand casual dating or anything like that. He could accept fiancé, explained why you were there," He glanced at her.

"Look, I know some of the shit he said was disturbing, but Pastor M's... well, you saw, don't take it serious. Some stuff he tells us is legit. He's got connections, but when he gets all crazy like that, you gotta let him talk and just agree." Will turned back to the road. "I mean, he said God was done, that's impossible." He stopped and glanced at her again. "You ok? I mean, was that why you passed out cause he went all doomsday?"

Maeve didn't know why she passed out or why what Pastor Mallory said upset her so much. Maybe because she'd only recently learned that God was real, but he didn't care about humans. Not like everyone had been taught, anyway.

Pastor Mallory, as crazy as he was, still had a lot of faith and he was scared. She'd been around crazy, scared people before. People that'd suffered horribly by the evils in their own minds terrorizing them but... that didn't seem the same and his fear, it'd been real. Maybe that was the difference.

"I'm fine, but I want to stop for a donut or something, maybe coffee."

Продолжить чтение

Вам также понравится

Or I'll Kill You Cheesehead

Любовные романы

69.2K 754 24
Maeve is a werewolf. Shes headstrong, stubborn, and outspoken. How is it possible that every guy she meets falls in love with her? Well of course it'...
1.1K 79 30
There was a princess Living carefree She wanted the world she wanted everything Diamonds and pearls Emeralds and gold She bathed in the riches only s...
1.2K 26 36
She has a heart of gold. But he has a heart of an onyx. She was an angel. He was the Devil. Living as a human, Maeve was just an ordinary young lady...
Angel Of Dawn Fairoz sherif

Про вампиров

1.8K 284 66
In a world where mythical, supernatural species soundlessly spy on humans and hunt them down, lives a young woman who's oblivious to the consistent d...