EXTINCTION WARRIOR

By turtleseed

Twelve year old, telepathic, animal communicator Luki Sloan's parents are detective-scientists with World End... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
IMAGINE

GLOSSARY

3 0 0
By turtleseed

A'ai – interjection - Alutiiq – uh-oh, oops.

Aanaruaq – noun – Alutiiq – grandmother, also means mother-in-law.

Aarigaa – adjective – Alutiiq – good or wonderful.

AEV– AEV is an acronym for All Elements Vehicle. Depending on the model, AEV's can fly to stratospheric altitudes, submerge to ocean depths in the bathypelagic zone and withstand heat and fire from 500 to 2,500 degrees Fahrenheit (fictional).

Acacia tortilis - Vachelliatortilis,widely known as Acaciatortilisbut now attributed to the genus, isthe umbrella thorn acacia, also known as umbrellathorn and Israelibabool, a medium to large canopied tree native to most of Africa, primarily to the savanna and Sahel of Africa (especially the Somali Peninsula and Sudan), but also occurring in the Middle East.

Achatina fulica - Achatina fulica is a species of large land snail that belongs in the family Achatinidae. It is also known as the giant African snail or giant African land snail. It shares the common name"giant African snail" with other species of snails such as Achatina achatina and Archachatina marginata. This snail species has been considered a significant cause in pest issues around the world.Internationally, it is the most frequently occurring invasive species of snail. Outside of its native range, this snail thrives in many types of habitat in areas with mild climates. It feeds voraciously and is a vector for plant pathogens, causing severe damage to agricultural crops and native plants. It competes with native snail taxa, is a nuisance pest of urban areas, and spreads human disease.This snail is listed as one of the top 100 invasive species in the world.

Acoustigun– noun – a non-lethal personal defense unit that produce a range of high frequency tones to stun targets for a 100%incapacitation rate. Nausea, dizziness and vomiting are common side effects.Shattered ear drums, and ruptured internal organs may result from target proximity (fictional).

Advance sequence booster – time accelerator used to speed natural processes (fictional).

Adygea - The Republic of Adygea, also known as the Adyghe Republic, is a federal subject (a republic) of Russia. It is geographically located in the North Caucasus region of European Russia, and is part of the Southern Federal District. Adygea covers an area of 7,600 square kilometers (2,900 sq mi), the fifth-smallest Russian federal subject by area, with its territory an enclave within Krasnodar Krai.

Affective computing - (sometimes called artificial emotional intelligence, or emotion), AI is the study and development of systems and devices that can recognize, interpret, process, and simulate human affects. It is an interdisciplinary field spanning computer science, psychology, and cognitive science. While the origins of the field may be traced as far back as to early philosophical inquiries into emotion, the more modern branch of computer science originated with Rosalind Picard's1995 paper on affective computing. A motivation for the research is the ability to simulate empathy. The machine should interpret the emotional state of humans and adapt its behavior to them, giving an appropriate response to those emotions.

African wild dog - The African wild dog (Lycaon pictus), also known as the painted hunting dog, painted wolf, hunting dog, Cape hunting dog or African painted dog, is a canid native to sub-Saharan Africa. It is the largest of its family in Africa, and the only extant member of the genus Lycaon, which is distinguished from Canis by dentition highly specialized for a hyper carnivorous diet, and alack of dewclaws. It was classified as endangered by the IUCN in2016, as it had disappeared from much of its original range. The 2016population was estimated at roughly 39 sub-populations containing6,600 adults,only 1,400 of which were reproductive. The decline of these populations is ongoing, due to habitat fragmentation, human persecution and disease outbreaks.

Aft- adverb/adjective - at, near, or toward the stern of a ship or tail of an aircraft.

Airspeed – in aviation, airspeed is the speed of an aircraft relative to the air.

Altimeter - An altimeter or an altitude meter is an instrument used to measure the altitude of an object above a fixed level. The measurement of altitude is called altimetry, which is related to the term bathymetry, the measurement of depth under water.

Alutiiq- The Alutiiq people as well as Pacific Eskimo or Pacific Yupik, area southern coastal people of Alaska Natives. They are not to be confused with the Aleuts, who live further to the southwest,including along the Aleutian Islands. Their traditional homelands include Prince William Sound and outer Kenai Peninsula (Chugach Sugpiaq), the Kodiak Archipelago and the Alaska Peninsula (Koniag Alutiiq). In the early 1800s there were more than 60 Alutiiq villages in the Kodiak archipelago with an estimated population of13,000people. Today more than 4,000 Alutiiq people live in Alaska.

Amazon River dolphin - the Amazon river dolphin is the largest species of river dolphin, with adult males reaching 185 kilograms(408 lb) in weight, and 2.5 meters (8.2 ft) in length.Adults acquire a pink color, more prominent in males, giving it its nickname "pink river dolphin" or boto. It lives only in fresh water and is found throughout much of the Amazon and Orinoco river basins in Bolivia, Brazil, Colombia, Ecuador, Guyana, Peru, and Venezuela. It is a relatively abundant freshwater cetacean with an estimated population in the tens of thousands. However, it is classified as vulnerable in certain areas due to dams that fragment and threaten certain populations, and from other threats such as contamination of rivers and lakes.

Amphibian – noun - amphibians are ectothermic, tetrapod vertebrates of the class Amphibia. All living amphibians belong to the group Lissamphibia. They inhabit a wide variety of habitats, with most species living within terrestrial, fossorial, arboreal or freshwater aquatic ecosystems.Thus amphibians typically start out as larvae living in water, but some species have developed behavioral adaptations to bypass this.The young generally undergo metamorphosis from larva with gills to an adult air-breathing form with lungs. Amphibians use their skin as a secondary respiratory surface and some small terrestrial salamanders and frogs lack lungs and rely entirely on their skin.

Anak – noun – Inupiat – feces (stool).

Andaman Sea – The Andaman Sea (historically also known as the Burma Sea) is a marginal sea of the eastern Indian Ocean separated from the Bay of Bengal (to its west) by the Andaman Islands of India and Myanmar and the Nicobar Islands of India and touching Myanmar,Thailand, and the Malay Peninsula. Its southernmost end is defined by Breueh Island, an island just north of Sumatra.

Anniqsuqti – noun – Inupiaq – savior, one who gives help.

Anthropocene- adjective/noun - relating to or denoting the current geological age, viewed as the period during which human activity has been the dominant influence on climate and the environment.

Apex predator – an apex predator, also known as an alpha predator or top predator, is a predator at the top of a food chain,without natural predators. Apex predators are usually defined in terms of trophic dynamics, meaning that they occupy the highest trophic levels. In terms of animals causing human deaths,the lion is probably the most dangerous apex predator. In the wild, lions use cooperative hunting to prey on buffalo, rhino, hippo,younger elephants, zebra, crocodiles, antelopes, wild hogs, and younger giraffes.

Aphrodisiac – noun – an aphrodisiac is a substance that increases sexual desire, sexual attraction, sexual pleasure, or sexual behavior. Substances range from a variety of plants, spices,foods, and synthetic chemicals. Therefore, they can be classified by their chemical properties.

Arachnibots– noun – also referred to as 'rachnibots are robots with biomimetic design based on arachnids (spiders), available in variety of sizes, used for their fine motor skills. Their pedipalps provide excellent traction, coordination and dexterity handling objects. Their primary use is to roam beaches to pick up plastic trash (fictional).

Archaea - constitute a domain of single-celled organisms. These microorganisms lack cell nuclei and are therefore prokaryotes.Archaea were initially classified as bacteria, receiving the name archaebacteria (in the Archaebacteria kingdom), but this term has fallen out of use.

Arctic National Wildlife Refuge (ANWR or Arctic Refuge) is a national wildlife refuge in northeastern Alaska, United States. It consists of19,286,722 acres (78,050.59 km2) in the Alaska North Slope region. It is the largest national wildlife refuge in the country,slightly larger than the Yukon Delta National Wildlife Refuge. The refuge is administered from offices in Fairbanks. The Arctic National Wildlife Refuge is the biggest and the wildest land publicly owned by the United States. ANWR includes a large variety of species of plants and animals, such as polar bears, caribou, wolves, eagles, and migratory birds, that rely on the refuge.

Artificial horizon – noun - a gyroscopic flight instrument designed to indicate aircraft attitude with respect to the true horizon.

Asik – noun – Inupiaq – dear one.

Ataaaaa – Inupiaq – "shhhhhhhh," as in to quiet someone.

Atlantic humpback dolphin - a species of humpback dolphin that is found in coastal areas of West Africa. It is regarded as critically endangered by the IUCN.

Autonomic nervous system - the part of the nervous system responsible for control of the bodily functions not consciously directed, such as breathing, the heartbeat, and digestive processes.

Avatar- noun - an icon or figure representing a particular person in video games, Internet forums, etc.

Avian– adjective – relating to birds.

Baleen – noun – a horny keratinous substance found in two rows of transverse plates which hang down from the upper jaws of baleen whales.

Bearded seal - (Erignathus barbatus), also called the square flipper seal, is a medium-sized pinniped that is found in and near to the Arctic Ocean. It gets its generic name from two Greek words that refer to its heavy jaw.

Bay of Bengal - is the northeastern part of the Indian Ocean,bounded on the west and northwest by India on the north by Bangladesh, and on the east by Myanmar and the Andaman Islands of India and Myanmar and the Nicobar Islands of India. Its southern limit is a line between Sri Lanka and the northwestern most point of Sumatra (Indonesia). It is the largest water region called a bay in the world.

Belgian draft horse - the Belgian horse or Belgian draft horse,also known as Belgian Heavy Horse, Brabançon, or Brabant, is a draft horse breed from the Brabant region of modern Belgium. It is one of the strongest of the heavy breeds. Belgians are still used as working animals, but have also become popular as show horses, and pleasure riding horses.

Beluga whale – (Delphinapterus leucas) is an Arctic and sub-Arctic cetacean. It is one of two members of the family Monodontidae, along with the narwhal, and the only member of thegenus Delphinapterus. It is also known as the white whale, as it is the only marine mammal of this color; the sea canary, due to its high-pitched calls; and the melon head, though that more commonly refers to the melon-headed whale, which is an oceanic dolphin.

Benzocaine – sold under the brand name Orajel among others, is an ester local anesthetic commonly used as a topical pain reliever or in cough drops. It is the active ingredient in many over-the-counter anesthetic ointments such as products for oral ulcers.

Bering Sea- The Bering Sea is a marginal sea of the Pacific Ocean.It comprises a deep water basin, which then rises through a narrow slope into the shallower water above the continental shelves. The Bering Sea is separated from the Gulf of Alaska by the Alaska Peninsula. It covers over 2,000,000 square kilometers (770,000 sq mi)and is bordered on the east and northeast by Alaska, on the west by Russian Far East and the Kamchatka Peninsula, on the south by the Alaska Peninsula and the Aleutian Islands and on the far north by the Bering Strait, which connects the Bering Sea to the Arctic Ocean's Chukchi Sea.

Biochip– noun – In molecular biology, biochips are engineered substrates that can host large numbers of simultaneous biochemical reactions. Biochips comprise the processing and memory units of androids and gynoids.

Biodiversity-noun-the variety of life in the world or in a particular habitat or ecosystem.

Bite Force Quotient (BFQ) – Bite Force Quotient is a numerical value which is used to represent the bite force of an animal while also taking factors like the animal's size into account.

Black rhinoceros - The black rhinoceros or hook-lipped rhinoceros(Diceros bicornis) is a species of rhinoceros, native to eastern and southern Africa including Angola, Botswana, Kenya,Malawi, Mozambique, Namibia, South Africa, Eswatini, Tanzania,Zambia, and Zimbabwe. Although the rhinoceros is referred to as black, its colours vary from brown to grey. The species overall is classified as critically endangered even though the south-western black rhinoceros is classified as near threatened). Three subspecies have been declared extinct, including the western black rhinoceros,which was declared extinct by the IUCN in 2011.

Black Sea - The Black Sea is a body of water and marginal sea of the Atlantic Ocean between the Balkans, Eastern Europe, the Caucasus,and Western Asia. It is supplied by a number of major rivers, such as the Danube, Dnieper, Southern Bug, Dniester, Don, and the Rioni. About a third of Europe drains into the Black Sea,including the countries of Austria, Belarus, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria,Croatia, Czech Republic, Georgia, Germany, Hungary, Moldova, Poland,Romania,Russia, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Turkey and Ukraine.

Black-legged kittiwake - The black-legged kittiwake (Rissa tridactyla) is a seabird species in the gull family Laridae. The English name is derived from its call, a shrill 'kittee-wa-aaake,             kitte-wa-aaake'. The black-legged kittiwake is a coastal bird of the arctic to subarctic regions of the world.

Blockchain – noun - a blockchain, originally block chain, is a growing list of records, called blocks, that are linked using cryptography. By design, a blockchain is resistant to modification ofthe data.

Bloom's taxonomy - Bloom's taxonomy is a set of three hierarchical models used to classify educational learning objectives into levels of complexity and specificity. The three lists cover the learning objectives in cognitive, affective and sensory domains. The cognitive domain list has been the primary focus of most traditional education and is frequently used to structure curriculum learning objectives,assessments and activities.

Blue whale - the blue whale(Balaenoptera musculus) is a marine mammal belonging to the baleen whale parvorder Mysticeti. Reaching a maximum confirmed length of 29.9 meters (98 ft) and weighing up to 199 tons (196long tons; 219 short tons), it is the largest animal known to have ever existed. The blue whale's long and slender body can be various shades of greyish-blue dorsally and somewhat lighter underneath. The blue whale was once abundant in nearly all the earth's oceans until the end of the 19th century. It was hunted almost to the point of extinction by whalers until the International Whaling Commission banned all blue whale hunting in 1966. The IUCN has listed blue whales as endangered as of 2018. It continues to face numerous threats, both man-made (ship strikes, pollution, ocean noise and climate change), and natural (killer whale predation).

Bohol Island – Bohol is the tenth largest island in the Phillipines located in the Central Visayas Region. It consists of the island itself and 75 minor surrounding islands. The Philippine tarsier,among the world's smallest primates, is indigenous to the island.

Bóodeem zdaróvye – Russian drinking toast, "To our health!"

Bora Bora - Bora Bora is an island group in the Leeward Islands. The Leeward Islands comprise the western part of the Society Islands of French Polynesia, which is an overseas collectivity of the French Republic in the Pacific Ocean.Bora Bora has a total land area of 30.55 km2(12 sq mi). The main island, located about 230 kilometres(143 miles) northwest of Papeete, is surrounded by a lagoon and a barrier reef. In the center of the island are the remnants of an extinct volcano, rising to two peaks, Mount Pahia and Mount Otemanu;the highest point is at 727 meters (2,385 feet). Bora Bora is part of the Commune of Bora-Bora, which also includes the atoll of Tupai.

Boron - Boron is a chemical element with the symbol B and atomic number 5. In its crystalline form it is a brittle, dark, lustrous metalloid; in its amorphous form it is a brown powder.

Bosque Estatal de Guanica – Guanica Dry Forest – The Guánica State Forest is a subtropical dry forest located in southwest Puerto Rico. The area was designated as a forest reserve in 1919 and a United Nations Biosphere Reserve in 1981. It is considered the best preserved, subtropical forest and the best example of dry forest in the Caribbean.

Bowhead whale - The bowheadwhale (Balaenamysticetus) is a species of baleen whale belonging to the family Balaenidae and the only living representative of the genus Balaena. They are the only baleen whales endemic to the Arctic and subarctic waters, and are named after their characteristic massive triangular skull, which they use to break through Arctic ice. Other common names of the species are the Greenland right whale or Arctic whale. American whalemen called them the steeple-top, polar whale, or Russia or Russian whale.Bowheads have the largest mouth of any animal representing almost one-third of the length of the body, the longest baleen plates with a maximum length of 4 meters (13 feet) and may be the longest-lived mammals, with the ability to reach an age of more than200 years. The bowhead was an early whaling target. Their population was severely reduced before a 1966 moratorium was passed to protect the species. Of the five stocks of bowhead populations, three are listed as "endangered," one as "vulnerable," and one as"lower risk, conservation dependent" according to the IUCN Red List. The global population is assessed as of least concern.

Bubonic plague is one of three types of plague caused by bacterium Yersinia pestis. One to seven days after exposure to the bacteria,flu-like symptoms develop. These include fever, headaches, and vomiting. Swollen and painful lymph nodes occur in the area closest to where the bacteria entered the skin. The Black Death was a devastating global epidemic of bubonic plague that struck Europe andAsia in the mid-1300s killing more than 20 million people.

Burma or Myanmar, officially the Republic of the Union of Myanmar and also known as Burma, is a country in Southeast Asia. Myanmar is bordered by India and Bangladesh to its west, Thailand and Laos to its east and China to its north and northeast. To its south, about one third of Myanmar's total perimeter of 5,876 km (3,651 mi) forms an uninterrupted coastline of 1,930 km (1,200 mi) along the Bay of Bengal and the Andaman Sea.

Carapace - noun - the hard upper shell of a turtle, crustacean, or arachnid. Something regarded as a protective or defensive covering. A carapace is a dorsal section of the exoskeleton or shell in a number of animal groups, including arthropods, such as crustaceans and arachnids, as well as vertebrates, such as turtles and tortoises. In turtles and tortoises, the underside is called the plastron.

Carbon dioxide - noun - a colorless, odorless gas produced by burning carbon and organic compounds and by respiration. It is naturally present in air (about 0.03 percent) and is absorbed by plants in photosynthesis. Carbon dioxide (CO2) is an important heat-trapping (greenhouse) gas, which is released through human activities such as deforestation and burning fossil fuels, as well as natural processes such as respiration and volcanic eruptions.

Carbuncle - A carbuncle is a cluster of boils — painful, pus-filled bumps — that form a connected area of infection under the skin. A boil is a painful,pus-filled bump that forms under your skin when bacteria infect and inflame one or more of your hair follicles.

Carnivora - Carnivora is an order of placental mammals that have specialized in primarily eating flesh. Its members are formally referred to as carnivorans, though some species are omnivorous, such as raccoons and bears, and very few species such as pandas are specialized herbivores.

Carpathian Mountains - The Carpathian Mountains form a1,500km-long range in Central and Eastern Europe. They stretch west to east in an arc from the Czech Republic to Romania. The Tatra range between Slovakia and Poland is a national park and has several peaks above 2,400 meters. More than half of the Carpathian range lies in Romania, where spruce forests are home to brown bears, wolves and lynxes.

Category 5 cyclone – The Saffir–Simpson hurricane wind scale,formerly the Saffir–Simpson hurricane scale, classifies hurricanes– Western Hemisphere tropical cyclones – that exceed the intensities of tropical depressions and tropical storms – into five categories distinguished by the intensities of their sustained winds.A category 5 storm, considered catastrophic has winds over 157 mph.

Caucasus - The Caucasus, or Caucasia, is a region spanning Europe and Asia. It is situated between the Black Sea and the Caspian Sea and mainly occupied by Armenia, Azerbaijan, Georgia, and parts of Southern Russia.

Cerna Valley – The gorgeous Cerna Valley is home to a vast collection of flora and valley, located in the Mehedinti Mountains of Romania.

Cerulean - adjective/noun -deep blue in color, like a clear sky.

Cetacean - noun - a marine mammal of the order Cetacea ; a whale,dolphin, or porpoise.

Chronograph - A chronograph is a specific type of watch that is used as a stopwatch combined with a display watch. A basic chronograph has an independent sweep second hand and a minute sub-dial; it can be started, stopped, and returned to zero by successive pressure on the stem.

Chugush - The Chugush is the highest mountain in Adygea, Russia,located in the Western Caucasus. Its height is 3,238 meters (10,623ft). The mountain contains 10 glaciers covering an area of 1.2 km.

Chukchi Sea - Chukchi Sea, sometimes referred to as the Chuuk Sea,Chukotsk Sea or the Sea of Chukotsk, is a marginal sea of the Arctic Ocean. It is bounded on the west by the Long Strait, off Wrangel Island, and in the east by Point Barrow, Alaska, beyond which lies the Beaufort Sea.

Cinereous vulture - The cinereous vulture (Aegypius monachus)is a large raptorial bird that is distributed through much of Eurasia. It is also known as the black vulture, monk vulture, or Eurasian black vulture. It is a member of the family Accipitridae,which also includes many other diurnal raptors such as kites,buzzards and harriers. It is one of the two largest Old World vultures, attaining a maximum size of 14 kg, (roughly 30 lbs), 1.2 m long (almost 4 ft)and 3.1 m (a bit over 10 ft) across the wings. The cinereous vulture has declined over most of its range in the last 200years in part due to poisoning by eating poisoned bait put out to kill dogs and other predators, and to higher hygiene standards reducing the amount of available carrion; it is currently listed as Near Threatened.

Cloud forest - A cloud forest, also called a water forest and primas forest, is a generally tropical or subtropical, evergreen, montane, moist forest characterized by a persistent, frequent or season allow-level cloud cover, usually at the canopy level, formally described in the International Cloud Atlas (2017) as silvagenitus.Cloud forests often exhibit an abundance of mosses covering the ground and vegetation, in which case they are also referred to as mossy forests. Mossy forests usually develop on the saddles of mountains, where moisture introduced by settling clouds is more effectively retained.

Color blind - Color blindness is the decreased ability to see color or differences in color. It usually involves the inability to distinguish between shades of red and green.

Compass - A compass is a device that shows the cardinal directions used for navigation and geographic orientation. It commonly consists of a magnetized needle or other element, such as a compass card or compass rose, which can pivot to align itself with magnetic north.

Consciousness is the state or quality of awareness or of being aware of an external object or something within oneself. It has been defined variously in terms of sentience, awareness, qualia, subjectivity, the ability to experience or to feel, wakefulness,having a sense of selfhood or soul, the fact that there is something"that it is like" to"have" or "be" it,and the executive control system of the mind.

Copper - Copper is a chemical element with the symbol Cu and atomic number 29. It is a soft, malleable, and ductile metal with very high thermal and electrical conductivity. A freshly exposed surface of pure copper has a pinkish-orange color. Copper is a mineral that is found throughout the body. It helps your body make red blood cells and keeps nerve cells and your immune  system healthy. It also helps form collagen, a key part of bones and connective tissue. Copper may also act as an antioxidant, reducing free radicals that can damage cells and DNA.

Course deviation indicator - A course deviation indicator (CDI) is an avionics instrument used in aircraft navigation to determine an aircraft's lateral position in relation to a course to or from a radio navigation beacon. If the location of the aircraft is to the left of this course, the needle deflects to the right, and vice versa. The indicator shows the direction to steer to correct for course deviations.

Crested auklet - A chunky seabird of Alaskan waters, with a loose crest that hangs down in front of its face, the crested auklet is a small seabird of the family Alcidae, distributed throughout the northern Pacific and the Bering Sea. The species feeds by diving in deep waters, eating krill and a variety of small marine animals.

Cricket flour is the misnomer term used to refer to powder made from crickets using various processes. Cricket flour differs from true flours made from grains by being composed mainly of protein rather than starches and dietary fiber. Insects are highly nutritious, and products such as cricket have been noted to be a sustainable and environmentally-friendly source of protein. Since crickets grow and reproduce quickly, are easy to maintain and require much less water and feed to produce the equivalent amount of protein as lean ground beef, cricket powder is a product that is simple to produce and thus is an inexpensive and sustainable protein source tofeed the world's growing population. Cricket flour also promotes sustainability by eliminating the use of traditional grain-based flour (which is oftentimes processed heavily and takes longer to produce). Although cricket flour's nutrition may partially be based on what the crickets are fed, it has many benefits in itself. Cricket flour has similar baking properties as actual flour, but gives baked goods a nuttier flavor and grainier texture.

CRISPR - CRISPR is a technology that can be used to edit genes. The essence of CRISPR is simple: it's a way of finding a specific bit of DNA inside a cell.After that, the next step in CRISPR gene editing is usually to alter that piece of DNA. CRISPR has also been adapted to do other things too, such as turning genes on or off without altering their sequence.CRISPR is widely used for scientific research, and in the not too distant future many of the plants and animals in our farms, gardens or homes may have been altered with CRISPR. In fact, some people already are eating CRISPRed food.

Cyborg- noun - a fictional or hypothetical person whose physical abilities are extended beyond normal human limitations by mechanical elements built into the body.

Cryo-preservation - Cryo-preservation or cryo-conservation is the process of cooling and storing cells, tissues, or organs at very low temperatures to maintain their viability. For example, the technology of cooling and storingcells at a temperature below the freezing point ('196' C) permitshigh rates of survivability of the cells upon thawing.

Cyclone - In meteorology, a cyclone is a large scale air mass thatrotates around a strong center of low atmospheric pressure,counterclockwise in the Northern Hemisphere and clockwise in theSouthern Hemisphere as viewed from above. Cyclones are characterizedby inward-spiraling winds that rotate about a zone of low pressure.

Da– adverb - Russian – yes

Da Xiong – Mandarin - Big Bear.

De-extinction - De-extinction is the process of generating anorganism that either resembles or is an extinct species. There areseveral ways to carry out the process of de-extinction. Cloning isthe most widely proposed method, although genome editing andselective breeding have also been considered. It can be done byextracting the nucleus from apreserved cell from the extinct species and swapping it into an egg,without a nucleus, of that species' nearest living relative.The egg can then be inserted into a host from the extinct species'nearest living relative.

Dermaptera - Earwigs make up the insect order Dermaptera. Withabout 2,000 species in 12 families, they are one of the smallerinsect orders. Earwigs have characteristic cerci, a pair offorceps-like pincers on their abdomen, and membranous wings foldedunderneath short, rarely used forewings, hence the scientific ordername, "skin wings". Some groups are tiny parasites onmammals and lack the typical pincers. Earwigs are found on allcontinents except Antarctica.

Dermatologic– noun - having to do with skin.

Detrivore - A detritivore pertains to any organism that feeds on detritus or organic waste. Its name is derived from being a detritus-feeder. In a biological context, detritus refers to the dead particulate organic material. It includes decomposing plants and animals as well as feces. Examples of detritivores include millipedes, woodlice, dung flies, many terrestrial worms and burying beetles.

Diopter- noun - a unit of refractive power that is equal to the reciprocal of the focal length (in meters) of a given lens.

Do svidaniya – Russian - The usual way to say goodbye in almost any situation is 'Do svidaniya! ',pronounced as 'duh svee-dah-nee-ye'. This phrase literally means'until (the next) meeting'.

Driver ant - Dorylus, also known as driver ants, safari ants, or siafu, is a large genus of army ants found primarily in central and east Africa, although the range also extends to southern Africa and tropical Asia.The term siafu is from Swahili. Such is the strength of the ant's jaws that, in East Africa,they are used as natural emergency sutures. Various East African indigenous tribal peoples (e.g. Maasai moran), when suffering from a gash in the bush, will use the soldiers to stitch the wound by getting the ants to bite on both sides of the gash, then breaking off the body. This use of ants as makeshift surgical staples creates a seal that can hold for days at a time, and the procedure can be repeated, if necessary, allowing natural healing to commence.

Eagle gauntlet – multi-layered, leather glove used in falconry.

Echolocation - Echolocation is a technique used by bats, dolphins and other animals to determine the location of objects using reflected sound. This allows the animals to move around in pitch darkness, so they can navigate, hunt, identify friends and enemies, and avoid obstacles.

Egress– noun/verb - the action of going out of or leaving a place, to go out of or leave (a place).

ECM – Extracellular Matrix (ECM) is a plant based polymer gel, smart bio-material that reassembles into local tissue and works with the body to heal. In biology, ECM is a three-dimensional network of extracellular macromolecules, such as collagen, enzymes, and glycoproteins, that provide structural and biochemical support of surrounding cells. In terms of injury repair and tissue engineering, the extracellular matrix serves two main purposes. First, it prevents the immune system from triggering from the injury and responding with inflammation and scar tissue. Next, it facilitates the surrounding cells to repair the tissue instead of forming scar tissue. ECM is any substance produced by cells and excreted to the extracellular space within the tissues,serving as a scaffolding to hold tissues together and helping to determine their characteristics.

Electrochromic – Electrochromism is the phenomenon where the color or opacity of a material changes when a voltage is applied. By doing so, an electrochromic smart window can block ultraviolet, visible or infrared light instantaneously and on demand.Electrochromic displays are based on any material that changes color depending on the applied potential.

Elizabethan ruff - A ruff is an item of clothing worn in WesternEurope from the mid-sixteenth century to the mid-seventeenth century. The ruff, which was worn by men, women and children, evolved from the small fabric ruffle at the drawstring neck of the shirt or chemise. They served as changeable pieces of cloth that could themselves be laundered separately while keeping the wearer's doublet or gown from becoming soiled at the neckline. The stiffness of the garment forced upright posture, and their impracticality led them to become a symbolof wealth and status.

Emetic- adjective/noun - (of a substance) causing vomiting, a medicine or other substance which causes vomiting.

Emperor penguin - The emperor penguin is the tallest and heaviest of all living penguin species and is endemic to Antarctica. The male and female are similar in plumage and size, reaching 122 cm (48 in)in height and weighing from 22 to 45 kg (49 to 99 lb). The dorsal side and head are black and sharply delineated from the white belly, pale-yellow breast and bright-yellow ear patches. Like all penguins it is flightless, with a streamlined body, and wings stiffened and flattened into flippers for a marine habitat.

Endlings - An endling is the last known individual of a species or subspecies. Once the endling dies, the species becomes extinct. Alternative names put forth for the last individual of its kind include ender and terminarch.

Enumeration - noun - the action of mentioning a number of things one by one, the action of establishing the number of something.

Equator - The Earth's equator is an imaginary planetary line that is about 40,075 km long in circumference. The equator divides the planet into the Northern Hemisphere and Southern Hemisphere and is located at 0 degrees latitude, the halfway line between the North Pole and South Pole.

ESP - Extrasensory perception (ESP), also called sixth sense, includes claimed reception of information not gained through the recognized physical senses, but sensed with the mind. The term was adopted by Duke University psychologist J. B. Rhine to denote psychic abilities such as intuition, telepathy, psychometry, clairvoyance,and their trans-temporal operation as precognition or retrocognition.

Eubacteria - Literally means "true bacteria." They include all bacteria (except for archaebacteria). Eubacteria are often classified by their shape. They fall into three main shape categories. Spherical eubacteria are called cocci; rod-shaped eubacteria are known as bacilli; spiral or helically-shaped eubacteria are spirilla.

Eurasian eagle-owl (Bubo bubo) is a species of eagle-owl that resides in much of Eurasia. It is also called the Europeaneagle-owl and in Europe,it is occasionally abbreviated to just eagle-owl. It is one of the largest species of owl, and females can grow to a total length of 75cm (30 in), with a wingspan of 188 cm (6ft 2 in), males being slightly smaller. This bird has distinctive eartufts, with upper parts that are mottled with darker blackish coloring and tawny. The wings and tail are barred. The underparts area variably hued buff, streaked with darker color. The facial disc is poorly developed and the orange eyes are distinctive.

Exoplanet - An exoplanet or extrasolar planet is a planet outside the Solar System. Planets that orbit around other stars are called exoplanets. All of the planets in our solar system orbit around the Sun. Planets that orbit around other stars are called exoplanets.

Extrude – verb – thrust or force out.

Farmoire – closet or box in which anything can be grown by adjusting climate variables (fictional).

Faunal– adjective – animal life, especially the animals characteristic of a region, period, or special environment.

Fe'i bananas - Fei (Fe'i or Fehi) is the name given to a group of bananas easily recognized by their erect bunch. Fei bananas are believed to originate in the New Guinea area but have been found from the Molluccas, in Indonesia, to Tahiti in the east. They used to be an important staple food in Tahiti , but they have become increasingly rare following the introduction of other types of bananas and a shift to eating imported food.

Fensui Tā de Tóu! – Mandarin - "Smash his head!"

Fetal doppler - A Doppler fetal monitor is a hand-held ultrasound transducer used to detect the fetal heartbeat for prenatal care. It uses the Doppler effect to provide an audible simulation of the heartbeat. Some models also display the heart rate in beats per minute (BPM).

Fight, flight or freeze - The fight-or-flight response (also called hyper-arousal, or the acute stress response) is a physiological reaction that occurs in response to a perceived harmful event, attack, or threat to survival. It was first described by Walter Bradford Cannon. His theory states that animals react to threats with a general discharge of the sympathetic nervous system, preparing the animal for fighting fleeing, or remaining in place.

Functional extinction - Functional extinction is the extinction of a species or other taxon such that: It disappears from the fossil record, or historic reports of its existence cease; The reduced population no longer plays a significant role in ecosystem function; or The population is no longer viable. A "functionally extinct"organism is one that may have a few individuals still living but will never recover (i.e. Martha the passenger pigeon or Lonesome George the Pinta Island tortoise). Some organisms are "extinct in the wild," meaning they can no longer be found in the areas they once inhabited.

Fungi – plural noun - any of a group of spore-producing organisms feeding on organic matter, including molds, yeast, mushrooms, and toadstools.

Fuselage – noun – the main body of an aircraft.

G-force- a force acting on a body as a result of acceleration or gravity, informally described in units of acceleration equal to one g. For example, a 12 pound object undergoing a g-force of 2g experiences 24 pounds of force.

Galaxy - A galaxy is a gravitationally bound system of stars, stellar remnants, interstellar gas, dust, and dark matter. The word is derived from the Greek galaxias, literally "milky", a reference to the Milky Way. Galaxies range in size from dwarfs with just a few hundred million (108) stars to giants with one hundred trillion (1014) stars, each orbiting its galaxy's center of mass.

Galley – noun – the kitchen in a ship or aircraft.

Gastropod- noun - a mollusk of the large class Gastropoda, such as a snail,slug, or whelk.

Gekker- verb - to make a series of stuttering throaty vocalizations in the manner of foxes when encountering a rival.

Gene editing - Genome editing (also called gene editing) is a method that lets scientists change the DNA of many organisms, including plants, bacteria, and animals. Editing DNA can lead to changes in physical traits, like eye color, and disease risk. Scientists use different technologies to do this. These technologies allow genetic material to be added, removed, or altered at particular locations in the genome.

Grappling hook - A grappling hook or grapnel is a device that typically has multiple hooks(known as claws or flukes) attached to a rope; it is thrown, dropped, sunk, projected, or fastened directly by hand to where at least one hook may catch and hold. Generally, grappling hooks are used to temporarily secure one end of a rope. They may also be used to dredge for submerged objects.

Gravid – adjective - pregnant; carrying eggs or young, full of meaning or a specified quality.

Great Pacific Garbage Patch - The Great Pacific garbage patch,also described as the Pacific trash vortex, is a gyre of marin debris particles in the north central Pacific Ocean. It is located roughly from 135°W to 155°W and 35°N to 42°N. The collection of plastic and floating trash, which comes primarily from countries in Asia, lies halfway between Hawaii and California and extends over an indeterminate area of widely varying range, depending on the degree of plastic concentration used to define it. The patch is characterized by exceptionally high relative pelagic concentrations of plastic, chemical sludge, and other debris that have been trapped by the currents of the North Pacific Gyre. Despite the common public image of islands of floating rubbish, its low density (4 particles per cubic meter) prevents detection by satellite imagery, or even by casual boaters or divers in the area. It consists primarily of an increase in suspended, often microscopic, particles in the upper water column.

Greenwall– noun - a green wall is a vertical greening typology,where a vertical built structure is intentionally covered by vegetation. Green walls include a vertically applied growth medium such as soil, substitute substrate, or hydroculture felt; as well as an integrated hydration and fertigation delivery system.

Guano – noun – the excrement of seabirds and bats, used as fertilizer.

Guillotine – a guillotine is an apparatus designed for efficiently carrying out executions by beheading. The device consists of a tall, upright frame with a weighted and angled blade suspended at the top. The condemned person is secured with stocks at the bottom of the frame, positioning the neck directly below the blade. The blade is then released, swiftly and forcefully decapitating the victim with a single, clean pass so that the head falls into a basket or other receptacle below.

Gulf of Anadyr - The Gulf of Anadyr, or Anadyr Bay, is a large bay on the Bering Sea in far northeast Siberia.

Gunge- noun/verb - a sticky, viscous, and unpleasantly messy material, to clog or obstruct something with gunge.

Gǔnkāibiàntài - Mandarin - "Go to hell pervert/low life."

Gyrfalcon- The gyrfalcon is a bird of prey (Falco rusticolus),the largest of the falcon species. The abbreviation gyr is also used.It breeds on Arctic coasts and tundra, and the islands of northern North America, Europe, and Asia.

Haluuġivsi –Inupiaq – hello to three or more people.

Haptic- adjective/noun -relating to the sense of touch, in particular relating to the perception and manipulation of objects using the senses of touch and proprioception, the use of technology that stimulates the senses of touch and motion, especially to reproduce in remote operation or computer simulation the sensations that would be felt by a user interacting directly with physical objects.

Haptic suit - A haptic suit (also known as tactile suit, gaming suit or haptic vest) is a wearable device that provides haptic feedback to the body. Haptic technology, also known as kinaesthetic communication or 3D touch,refers to any technology that can create an experience of touch by applying forces, vibrations, or motions to the user.

Hector's dolphin - Hector's dolphins are the smallest and rarest marine dolphins in the world. They have distinct black facial markings, short stocky bodies and a dorsal fin shaped like a Mickey Mouse ear. There is a subspecies of Hector's dolphin known as Maui's dolphin that is critically endangered and estimated to have a population of only 55. They are found only in the shallow coastal waters along western shores of New Zealand's North Island.

Hologram- Holography is the science and practice of making holograms. Typically, a hologram is a photographic recording of alight field,rather than of an image formed by a lens, and it is used to display a fully three-dimensional image of the holographed subject, which is seen without the aid of special glasses or other intermediate optics. The hologram itself is not an image and is usually unintelligible when viewed under diffuse ambient light.

Hominid– noun – a primate of a family (Hominidae) that includes humans and their fossil ancestors and also (in recent systems) at least some of the great apes.

Hovercycle– noun - A hoverbike (or hovercycle) is a vehicle that can hover, but that otherwise resembles a motorcycle, mainly by having at least two propulsive portions – one in front of and one behind the driver. Typical speeds do not exceed 50 mph or altitudes higher than fifty feet.

Horned viper - Cerastes cerastes, commonly known as the Saharan horned viper or the desert horned viper, is a venomous species ofviper native to the deserts of northern Africa and parts of the Arabian Peninsula and Levant.

House crickets - Achetadomesticus, commonly called the house cricket, is a cricket most likely native to Southwestern Asia, but between 1950 and 2000 it became the standard feeder insect for the pet and research industries and spread worldwide. They can be kept as pets themselves, as this has been the case in China and Japan. The house cricket is an edible insect. It is farmed in South-East Asia and parts of Europe and North America for human consumption. In Asia, it is said to become more popular than many native cricket species due to what consumers claimed was their superior taste and texture. Dry-roasting common and is considered the most nutritious method of preparing them, though they are often sold deep-fried as well. Farmed house crickets are mostly freeze-dried and often processed into a powder known as cricket flour. In Europe,  cricket is officially approved for use in food products in Switzerland (since 2017). In the EU, the house cricket is not approved as novel food yet. However, on August 17, 2021, the European Food Safety Authority published a safety assessment stating that frozen and dried formulations from whole house crickets are safe for consumption.

Hungary - Hungary is a landlocked country in Central Europe. Its capital, Budapest, is bisected by the Danube River.

Indian Ocean - The Indian Ocean is the third largest of the world's oceanic divisions, covering 70,560,000 km2 (27,240,000 sq mi)(approximately 20% of the water on the Earth's surface). It is bounded by Asia on the north, on the west by Africa, on the east by Australia, and on the south by the Southern Ocean or, depending on definition, by Antarctica.

Hyperarousal – noun - excessive arousal : an abnormal state of increased responsiveness to stimuli that is marked by various physiological and psychological symptoms (such as increased levels of alertness and anxiety and elevated heart rate and respiration).

Ice floe - An ice floe is a large pack of floating ice often defined as a flat piece at least 20 m across at its widest point, and up to more than 10 km across. Drift ice is a floating field of sea ice composed of several ice floes.

Iceland is a Nordic island country in the North Atlantic Ocean and the most sparsely populated country in Europe. The capital city is Reykjavik. Reykjavík and the surrounding areas in the southwest of the country are home to over two-thirds of the population. Iceland is the only part of the Mid-Atlantic Ridge that rises above sea-level, and its central volcanic plateau is erupting  almost constantly.

Improbability Principle - The improbability principle is composed of five laws, analogous to the four laws of thermodynamics or Newton's three laws of motion. These laws, the law of inevitability, the law of truly large numbers, the law of selection, the law of the probability lever, and the law of near enough, explain exactly why we should expect to encounter highly unlikely events, and indeed why we should expect to do so on a regular, even frequent, basis.

Incapacitated – adjective – deprived of strength or power;debilitated.

Indian Ocean humpback dolphin - The Indian Ocean humpback dolphin (Sousa plumbea) is a member of the Delphinidae family occupying coastal areas ranging from Southern Africa to Western Indochina. The most limiting factor to habitat-usage is water depth, with most specimens remaining in waters shallower than 20 meters. As a result, the Indian Ocean humpback dolphin's offshore range is largely dependent on the coastlines's pecific physiographical characteristics. The species has been reported to inhabit nearly every type of coastal habitat, although preference and prominence of any given habitat type is highly dependent on the geographical location. Indian Ocean humpback dolphins experience extremely high rates of calf and juvenile mortality due to anthropogenic disturbances such as environmental pollution, habitat deterioration and noise pollution.

Indigenous - adjective - originating or occurring naturally in a particular place; native.

International Date Line - International Date Line, also called Date Line,imaginary line extending between the North Pole and the South Pole and arbitrarily demarcating each calendar day from the next. It corresponds along most of its length to the 180th meridian of longitude but deviates eastward through the Bering Strait to avoid dividing Siberia and then deviates westward to include the Aleutian Islands with Alaska. South of the Equator, another eastward deviation allows certain island groups to have the same day as New Zealand.

INTERPOL- The International Criminal Police Organization, more commonly known as Interpol, is the international organization that facilitates international police cooperation.

Interspecies communication - communication between different species of animals, plants, or microorganisms.

Inukat – Inuit bone gambling game. Inside the bag are approximately 41 animal bones - some from seals - some from birds.The game appears to be a cross between a "jigsaw puzzle"and "fishing".

Inuksuk - An inuksuk or inukshuk is a man-made stone landmark or cairn built for use by the Inuit, Iñupiat, Kalaallit, Yupik, and other peoples of the Arctic region of North America. These structures are found in northern Canada, Greenland, and Alaska.

Ipecac- Ipecac is a plant used to make medicine taken by mouth to cause vomiting after suspected poisoning.

Iqquuk – noun – Inupiaq – buttocks.

Iron - Iron is a chemical element with symbol Fe and atomic number26. It is a metal that belongs to the first transition series and group 8 of the periodic table. It is, by mass, the most common element on Earth, right in front of oxygen, forming much of Earth's outer and inner core. Iron is a mineral that our bodies need for many functions. For example,iron is part of hemoglobin, a protein which carries oxygen from our lungs throughout our bodies. It helps our muscles store and use oxygen. Iron is also part of many other proteins and enzymes.

Irriwaddy- The Irrawaddy or, officially, Ayeyarwady River is a river that flows from north to south through Myanmar. It is the country's largest river and most important commercial waterway.Originating from the confluence of the N'mai and Mali rivers, it flows relatively straight North-South before emptying through the Irrawaddy Delta into the Andaman Sea. Its drainage basin of about 404,200 square kilometers (156,100 sq mi) covers a large part of Burma. After Rudyard Kipling's poem, it is sometimes referred to as 'The Road to Mandalay'.

Irriwaddy dolphin - The Irrawaddy dolphin (Orcaella brevirostris) is a euryhaline species of oceanic dolphin found in discontinuous sub-populations near seacoasts and in estuaries and rivers in parts of the Bay of Bengal and Southeast Asia. It closely resembles the Australian snubfin dolphin and was not described as a separate species until 2005. The IUCN lists five of the seven sub-populations as endangered, primarily due to drowning in fish nets.

IUCN - The International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN),is an international organization working in the field of nature conservation and sustainable use of natural resources. It is involved in data gathering and analysis, research, field projects, advocacy,and education. The IUCN Red List of Threatened Species™ is the world's most comprehensive inventory of the global conservation status of plant and animal species. According to the IUCN, more than 38,500 species are threatened with extinction. That is still28% of all assessed species.

Javan rhinoceros - The Javan rhinoceros (Rhinoceros sondaicus),also known as the Sunda rhinoceros or lesser one-horned rhinoceros,is a very rare member of the family Rhinocerotidae and one of five extant rhinoceroses. According to the World Wide Fund for Nature(WWF) the Javan rhino is the most threatened rhino species with only68–74 remaining in Ujung Kulon National Park in Java, Indonesia.The IUCN lists the javan rhinoceros as critically endangered.

Kalluk – noun – Inupiaq – thunder.

Keratin – noun – Keratin is one of a family of fibrous structural proteins. It is the key structural material making up hair, horns, claws, hooves, and the outer layer of human skin.Keratin is also the protein that protects epithelial cells from damage or stress. Keratin is extremely insoluble in water and organic solvents.

Lab meat – Cultured meat is meat produced by in-vitro cultivation of animal cells, instead of from slaughtered animals and is a form of cellular agriculture. Cultured meat, also known as "lab meat," is produced using many of the same tissue engineering techniques traditionally used in regenerative medicine.

Labrador tea - Labrador tea is a common name for the three closely related plant species and the name of an herbal tea made from the plants: All three species are primarily wetland plants in the heath family. The herbal tea has been a favorite beverage among Athabaskan,First Nations, and Inuit people.

Lagoon – noun - A lagoon is a shallow body of water separated from a larger body of water by a narrow land form, such as reefs, barrier islands, barrier peninsulas,or isthmuses.

Law of Inevitability – Something must happen.

Law of Near Enough - Events which are sufficiently similar are regarded as identical.

Law of Probability Lever - Slight changes can make highly improbable events almost certain.

Law of Selection - You can make things as likely as you want if you choose after the event.

Law of Truly Large Numbers - With a large enough number of opportunities, any outrageous thing islikely to happen.

Least auklet - The least auklet (Aethiapusilla)is a seabird and the smallest species of auk. It is the most abundant seabird in North America, and one of the most abundant in the world,with a population of around nine million birds.

Lissachatina Fulica - Lissachatinafulica is a species of large land snail that belongs in the subfamily Achatininae of the family Achatinidae. It is also known as the Giant African land snail.This snail species has been considered a significant cause of pest issues around the world. Internationally, it is the most frequently occurring invasive species of snail. This snail is listed as one of the top 100 invasive species in the world.

Lidocaine, also known as lignocaine, is a medication used to numb tissue in a specific area (local anesthetic). It is also used to treat ventricular tachycardia and to perform nerve blocks.

Lightscreen– a display of images and data produced with light.

Little Diomede - Little Diomede Island or "Yesterday Isle" (Inupiaq: Iŋaliq,formerly known as Krusenstern Island), is an island off Alaska. It is the smaller of the two Diomede Islands located in the middle of the Bering Strait between the Alaska mainland and Siberia with a total area of 2.8 square miles.

Luzon tarsier - The Philippine tarsier also called Luzon is an endangered species that is endemic to the Philippines. It is found in the southeastern part of the archipelago, particularly on the islands of Bohol, Samar, Leyte and Mindanao.

Lyosha – Is a diminutive of Aleksey, itself a Russian form of Alexis. Alexis was originally a name given to men in ancient Greece.Today this Greek name is a popular name given to more girls than boys. This name is a derivative of the name Alexander which means helper of people.

Madagascar- Madagascar is a huge island nation off the southeast coast of Africa. It's home to thousands of animal species, such as lemurs,found nowhere else, plus rainforests, beaches and reefs.Madagascar,officially the Republic of Madagascar, and previously known as the Malagasy Republic, is an island country in the Indian Ocean,approximately 400 kilometers (250 miles) off the coast of East Africa. The nation comprises the island of Madagascar (the fourth-largest island in the world) and numerous smaller peripheral islands.

Malodorous – adjective – smelling very unpleasant.

Maktak – a traditional Inuit and Chuckchi food, also known asmuktuk. It is most often made from the skin and blubber of the bowhead whale, although the beluga and the narwhal are also used.Usually eaten raw, it is occasionally finely diced, breaded, deep fried, and then served with soy sauce. Despite it being usually eaten raw it could also be eaten frozen or cooked. It is also sometimes pickled. When chewed raw, the blubber becomes oily, with a nutty taste; if not diced, or at least serrated, the skin is quite rubbery.

Mandalay- Mandalay is the second-largest city and the last royal capitol of Myanmar (Burma). Located 716 km (445 mi) north of Yangon on the east bank of the Irrawaddy River, the city has a population of1,225,553 (2014 census).

Mandarin – the standard literary and official form of Chinese based on the Beijing dialect spoken by over 730 million people.

Mandible – noun - the jaw or a jawbone, especially the lower jawbone in mammals and fishes.

Mangalitsa- The Mangalica (also Mangalitsa or Mangalitza) is a Hungarian breed of domestic pig. It was developed in the mid-19thcentury by crossbreeding Hungarian breeds from Szalonta and Bakony with the European wild boar and the Serbian Šumadija breed. The Mangalitsa pig grows a thick, woolly coat similar to that of a sheep.Mangalitsa is considered to have one of the best flavor profiles of any breed of pig. Chefs love the taste and versatility of the meat and its melt-in-your-mouth luxurious lard. The meat is exceptionally juicy, tender, and well-marbled.

Manganese - Manganese is a chemical element with the symbol Mn and atomic number 25. It is a hard brittle silvery metal, often found in minerals in combination with iron. Manganese is a trace mineral that is present in tiny amounts in the body. It is found mostly in bones, the liver, kidneys, and pancreas. Manganese helps the body form connective tissue, bones, blood clotting factors,and sex hormones.

Mayotte – Mayotte is a French island in the Indian Ocean off the coast of East Africa between Madagascar and Mozambique.

Melanesia - Melanesia is a sub-region of Oceania in the southwestern Pacific Ocean. It extends from the island of New Guinea in the west to Tonga in the east, and includes the Arafura Sea. The region includes the four independent countries of Fiji, Vanuatu, the Solomon Islands, and Papua New Guinea.

Melocactus intortus - Melocactus (melon cactus), also known as the Turk's cap cactus, is a genus of cactus with about 30–40 species.They are native to the Caribbean, western Mexico through Central America to northern South America, with some species along the Andes down to southern Peru, and a concentration of species in northeastern Brazil.

Methane - Methane,colorless, odorless gas that occurs abundantly in nature and as a product of certain human activities. Methane is the simplest member of the paraffin series of hydrocarbons and is among the most potent of the greenhouse gases. Methane is gas that is found in small quantities in Earth's atmosphere. Methane is a powerful greenhouse gas. Methane is flammable, and is used as a fuel worldwide. It is a principal component of natural gas. In recent years, climate scientists have warned thawing permafrost in Siberia may be a"methane time bomb" detonating slowly. Now, a peer-reviewed studyusing satellite imagery and a review by an international organization are warning that warming temperatures in the far northern reaches of Russia are releasing massive measures of methane—a potent greenhouse gas with considerably more warming power than carbon dioxide. Scientists have also found evidence that frozen methane deposits in the Arctic Ocean have started to be released over a large area of the continental slope off the East Siberian coast.

Micronesia – Micronesiais a sub-region of Oceania, consisting of thousands of small islands in the western Pacific Ocean.

Microprocessor– noun – a microprocessor is a computer processor that incorporates the functions of a central processing unit on a single integrated circuit or at most a few integrated circuits.

Mitaaqtuq – noun – Inupiat – to joke.

Mollusk- noun - an invertebrate of a large phylum which includes snails,slugs, mussels, and octopuses. They have a soft unsegmented body and live in aquatic or damp habitats, and most kinds have an external calcareous shell.

Molt- verb/noun - (of an animal) shed old feathers, hair, or skin, or an old shell, to make way for a new growth. "the snake moltsits skin," or a loss of plumage, skin, or hair, especially as aregular feature of an animal's life cycle."

Mongolian marmot - The Tarbagan marmot is a species of rodent in the family Sciuridae. It is found in China (Inner Mongolia andHeilongjiang), northern and western Mongolia, and Russia (southwestSiberia, Tuva, Transbaikalia). In the Mongolian Altai the range overlaps with that of the Gray marmot. The species was classified as endangered by the IUCN in 2008.

Montane rainforest - Cloudforest, also called montane rainforest, vegetation of tropical mountainous regions in which the rainfall is often heavy and persistent condensation occurs because of cooling of moisture-laden air currents deflected upward by the mountains. The trees in a cloud forest are typically short and crooked.

Moribund – adjective – (of a person) at the point of death,(of a thing) in terminal decline; lacking vitality or vigor.

Mozambique Channel - The Mozambique Channel is an arm of the Indian Ocean located between the Southeast African countries of Madagascar and Mozambique. The channel is about 1,600 km (1,000 mi)long and 419 km(260 mi) across at its narrowest point, and reaches a depth of 3,292m (10,800 ft) about 230 km (143 mi) off the coast of Mozambique. A warm current, the Mozambique Current, flows in a southward direction in the channel, leading into the Agulhas Current off the east coast of South Africa.

Muktuk –fermented whale blubber is most often made from the skin and blubber of the bowhead whale, although the beluga and the narwhal arealso used. Usually eaten raw, today it is occasionally finely diced,breaded, deep fried, and then served with soy sauce. Despite it being usually eaten raw it could also be eaten frozen or cooked. It is also sometimes pickled. When chewed raw, the blubber becomes oily, with anutty taste; if not diced, or at least serrated, the skin is quite rubbery.

Murre - the common murre or common guillemot (Uriaaalge) is a large auk. It is also known as the thin-billed murre in North America. It has a circumpolar distribution, occurring in low-Arctic and boreal waters in the North Atlantic and North Pacific. It spends most of its time at sea, only coming to land to breed on rocky cliff shores orislands.

Musk ox - The musk ox, also spelled musk ox and musk-ox, is a hoofed mammal of the family Bovidae. Native to the Arctic, it is noted for its thick coat and for the strong odor emitted by males during the seasonal rut, from which its name derives. This musky odor has the effect of attracting females during mating season.

Myanmar– Myanmar, officially the Republic of the Union of Myanmar and also known as Burma, is a country in Southeast Asia. Myanmar is bordered by India and Bangladesh to its west, Thailand and Laos to its east and China to its north and northeast. To its south, about one third of Myanmar's total perimeter of 5,876 km (3,651 mi)forms an uninterrupted coastline of 1,930 km (1,200 mi) along the Bayof Bengal and the Andaman Sea.

Naanaakun – Inupiaq – goodbye.

Nanosecond- noun - one billionth of a second.

Nefarious – adjective – wicked or criminal.

Net– Russian – no, pronounced "nyet."

Neural network - A neural network is a network or circuit of neurons, or in a modern sense, an artificial neural network, composed of artificial neurons or nodes. Thus a neural network is either a biological neural network, made up of biological neurons, or an artificial neural network, for solving artificial intelligence problems. Neural networks, also known as artificial neural networks (ANNs) or simulated neural networks (SNNs), are a subset of machine learning and are at the heart of deep learning algorithms. Their name and structure are inspired by the human brain, mimicking the way that biological neurons signal to oneanother.

Neuromorphic intelligence - Neuromorphic engineering, also known as neuromorphic computing is a concept developed by Carver Mead inthe late 1980s describing the use of very-large-scale integration(VLSI) systems containing electronic analog circuits to mimic neuro-biological architectures present in the nervous system. In recent times, the term neuromorphic has been used to describe analog, digital, mixed-mode analog/digital VLSI, and software systems that implement models of neural systems (for perception, motor control, ormultisensory integration). A key aspect of neuromorphic engineering is understanding how the morphology of individual neurons, circuits,applications, and overall architectures creates desirable computations, affects how information is represented, influences robustness to damage, incorporates learning and development, adapts to local change (plasticity), and facilitates evolutionary change.Neuromorphic engineering is an interdisciplinary subject that takes inspiration from biology, physics, mathematics, computer science, and electronic engineering to design artificial neural systems, such as vision systems, head-eye systems, auditory processors, and autonomous robots, whose physical architecture and design principles are based on those of biological nervous systems.

Nimbo-stratus - A nimbo-stratus cloud is a multi-level, amorphous,nearly uniform and often dark grey cloud that usually produces continuous rain, snow or sleet but no lightning or thunder.

Nitrogen - Nitrogen is the chemical element with the symbol Nand atomic number 7. It was first discovered and isolated byScottish physician Daniel Rutherford in 1772. Nitrogen is the most abundant element in our atmosphere and crucial to life. Nitrogen is found in soils and plants, in the water we drink, and in the air we breathe. It is also essential to life: a key building block of DNA, which determines our genetics, is essential to plant growth, and therefore necessary for the food we grow.

Nocturnal – adjective – done, occurring, or active at night.

North Atlantic right whale - The North Atlantic right whale (Eubalaena glacialis) is a baleen whale, one of three right whale species belonging to the genus Eubalaena, all of which were formerly classified as a single species. Because of their docile nature, their slow surface-skimming feeding behaviors, their tendencies to stay close to the coast, and their high blubber content (which makes them float when they are killed, and which produced high yields of whale oil), right whales were once a preferred target for whalers. They are among the most endangered whales in the world with less than 400 individuals remaining.

North Pacific right whale - The NorthPacific right whale (Eubalaena japonica) is a very large, thickset baleen whale species that is extremely rare and endangered. The Northeast Pacific population, which summers in the southeastern Bering Sea and Gulf of Alaska, may have no more than 40 animals. The IUCN categorizes the species as "Endangered", and categorizes the Northeast Pacific population as "CriticallyEndangered". The Center for Biological Diversity argues that the North Pacific right whale is the most endangered whale on Earth.

Nuchal scute - The Nuchal – the scute directly above the head. A scute is a large epidermal scale or plate found on turtles and other reptiles.

Nuwa - Nüwa or Nügua is the mother goddess of Chinese mythology, the sister and wife of Fuxi, the emperor-god. She is credited with creating hummankind and repairing the Pillar of Heaven. Her reverential name is Wahuang (literally: "Empress Wa").

Nymph - noun - an immature form of an insect that does not change greatly as it grows, e.g. a dragonfly, mayfly, or locust. In mythology a spirit of nature imagined as a beautiful maiden inhabiting rivers, woods, or other locations.

Organelles - Organelles are specialized structures that perform various jobs inside cells. The term literally means "little organs." In the same way organs, such as the heart, liver, stomach, and kidneys, serve specific functions to keep an organism alive, organelles serve specific functions to keep a cell alive.

Ozone - Ozone (O3) is a highly reactive gas composed of three oxygen atoms. It is both a natural and a man-made product that occurs in the Earth's upper atmosphere (the stratosphere) and lower atmosphere (the troposphere). Depending on where it is in the atmosphere, ozone affects life on Earth in either good or bad ways.Stratospheric ozone is formed naturally through the interaction of solar ultraviolet radiation with molecular oxygen. The "ozonelayer," approximately 6 through 30 miles above the Earth's surface, reduces the amount of harmful ultraviolet radiation reaching the Earth's surface.

Pagoda– noun - A pagoda is a tiered tower with multiple eaves, built in traditions originating as stupa in historic South Asia and further developed in East Asia with respect to those traditions, common to Nepal, China, Japan, Korea, Vietnam, Myanmar, India, SriLanka and other parts of Asia.

Pallid – adjective –(of a person's face) pale, typically because of poor health.

Pangolin- Pangolins or scaly anteaters are mammals of the order Pholidota (from the Greek word "hornyscale"). The one extant family, Manidae, has three genera: Manis, which comprises four species living in Asia; Phataginus, which comprises two species living in Africa; and Smutsia, which comprises two species also living in Africa. These species range in size from30 to 100 cm (12 to 39 in). A number of extinct pangolin species are also known. Pangolins have large, protective keratin scales coveringtheir skin; they are the only known mammals with this feature. Pangolins are threatened by poaching (for their meat and scales) andheavy deforestation of their natural habitats, and are the most trafficked mammals in the world. Of the eight species of pangolin, four (Phataginus tetradactyla, P.tricuspis, Smutsia gigantea, and S.temminckii) are listed as vulnerable, two (Manis crassicaudata and M.culionensis) are listed as endangered, and two (M. pentadactyla andM. javanica) are listed as critically endangered on the International Union for Conservation of Nature Red List of Threatened Species.Pangolins may have served as the hosts that transmitted the coronavirus to people, causing the COVID-19 pandemic.

Paniga – Inupiaq – my daughter.

Parakeetauklet - The parakeetauklet(Aethiapsittacula)is a small seabird of the North Pacific. Recent morphological and genetic evidence suggest it should be placed in the genus Aethia, making them closely related to crested auklets and least auklets. It is associated with the boreal waters of Alaska, Kamchatka andSiberia. It breeds on the cliffs, slopes and boulder fields of offshore islands, generally moving south during the winter. A distinctive little seabird with a nearly circular bill. The Parakeet Auklet has the widest distribution of all the Alaskan auklets, but it doesn't form large flocks like the others, either at sea or in breeding colonies.

Partula Island snails - Partula is a genus of air-breathing tropical land snails, terrestrial pulmonate gastropod mollusks in the family Partulidae. Many species of Partula are known under the general common names "Polynesian tree snail" and "Moorean viviparous tree snail". The 2008 IUCN Red List of ThreatenedSpecies contains 15 critically endangered, 11 extinct in the wild and 48 extinct Partula species. The IUCN Red List of Threatened Species version 2009.  2 contains 13 critically endangered, 11 extinctin the wild and 51 extinct Partula species. The IUCN Red List of Threatened Species version 2015-4 contains 83 Partula species.

Permafrost – noun - Permafrost is ground that remains frozen for two or more consecutive years. It is a thick subsurface layer of soil that remains frozen throughout the year, occurring chiefly in polar regions. It is composed of rock, soil, sediments, and varying amounts of ice that bind the elements together. Some permafrost has beenfrozen for tens or hundreds of thousands of years.

Phillipines - The Philippines, officially the Republic of the Philippines is an archipelagic country in Southeast Asia. It is situated in the western Pacific Ocean, and consists of about 7,640 islands, broadly categorized under three main geographical divisions from north to south: Luzon,Visayas, and Mindanao.

Phineas Gage - Phineas P. Gage (1823–1860) was an American railroad foreman remembered for his improbable survival of an accident in which a large iron rod was driven completely through his head, destroying much of his brain's left frontal lobe, and for that injury's reported effects on his personality and behavior over there maining 12 years of his life‍—‌effects sufficiently profound (for a time at least) that friends saw him as "no longer Gage." Long known as the "American Crowbar Case"‍—‌once termed" the case which more than all others is calculated to excite our wonder, impair the value of prognosis, and even to subvertour physiological doctrines" —‌Phineas Gage influenced19th-century discussion about the mind and brain, particularly debate on cerebral localization, and was perhaps the first case to suggest the brain's role in determining personality,and that damage to specific parts of the brain might induce specific personality changes.

Phish - noun - the fraudulent practice of sending emails purporting to be from reputable companies in order to induce individuals to reveal personal information, such as passwords and credit card numbers.

Phosphorus - Phosphorus is a chemical element with the symbol Pand atomic number 15. Elemental phosphorus exists in two major forms, white phosphorus and red phosphorus, but because it is highly reactive, phosphorus is never found as a free element on Earth. Phosphorus, an essential mineral, is naturally present in many foods and available as a dietary supplement. Phosphorus is a component of bones, teeth, DNA, and RNA.

Pinnipeds, commonly known as seals, are a widely distributed and diverse clade of carnivorous, fin-footed, semiaquatic marine mammals.They comprise the extant families Odobenidae, Otariidae, and Phocidae. There are 33 extant species of pinnipeds, and more than 50 extinct species have been described from fossils.

Piqpavagin –Inupiaq – I love you.

Plastiglomerate is a term that was proposed by Patricia Corcoran, Charles J. Moore and Kelly Jazvac for a stone that contains mixtures of sedimentary grains, and other natural debris (e.g. shells, wood) that is held together by hardened molten plastic. It has been considered a potential marker of the Anthropocene, an informal epoch of the Quaternary proposed by some social scientists, environmentalists, and geologists. Plastiglomerate could potentially form a marker horizon of human pollution on the geologic record and may survive as future fossils. Plastiglomerate may also conceivably form in plastic-polluted regions affected by lava flows or forest fires. They have been found on the surface as well as beneath the sand. This suggests that plastiglomerates are being actively deposited into the sedimentary record. Some geophysicists and geologists speculate that plastiglomerates will not persist in the fossil record, however, or that they might "revert back to a source of oil from whence they came, given the right conditions of burial."

Polynesia - Polynesia is a subregion of Oceania, made up of more than 1,000 islands scattered over the central and southern Pacific Ocean.

Polynya – noun - a stretch of open water surrounded by ice, especially in Arctic seas.

Potassium - Potassium is a chemical element with the symbol K and atomic number 19. Potassium is a silvery-white metal that is soft enough to be cut with a knife with little force. Potassium metal reacts rapidly with atmospheric oxygen to form flaky white potassium peroxide in only seconds of exposure. Potassium is a mineral that your body needs to work properly. It is a type of electrolyte. It helps your nerves to function and muscles to contract. It helps your heartbeat stay regular. It also helps move nutrients into cells and waste products out of cells.

Principle of improbability - The improbability principle is composed of five laws, analogous to the four laws of thermodynamics or Newton's three laws of motion. These laws, the law of inevitability, the law of truly large numbers, the law of selection, the law of the probability lever, and the law of near enough, explain exactly why we should expect to encounter highly unlikely events, and indeed why we should expect to do so on a regular, even frequent basis. Any one of the laws acting by itself can lead to a highly improbable event—like people winning the lottery twice, or 26 black numbers coming up one after another in roulette. But the impact of the principle stronger when the laws intertwine and work together. When that happens, we see people being struck by lightning—not just once but, despite the old adage, twice and then time after time. We see the same lottery numbers coming up in two consecutive weeks. We see apparent manifestations of extrasensoryperception, people narrowly avoiding disaster after disaster, financial crashes that shouldn't happen in a billion years, and countless other extraordinary events. We also learn how tipsters correctly predict stock market moves, how you can increase yourchance of winning the lottery, why the student who comes out on top today is less likely to do so tomorrow, and how psychics can make correct predictions. They are all a consequence of the solid mathematics embodied in the improbability principle.

Protists - Protists are a diverse collection of organisms. While exceptions exist, they are primarily microscopic and unicellular, or made up of a single cell. The cells of protists are highly organized with a nucleus and specialized cellular machinery called organelles.

Provideniya is an urban locality (an urban-type settlement) and the administrative center of Providensky District of Chukotka Autonomous Okrug, Russia, located on Komsomolskaya Bay (a part of Provideniya Bay) in the northeastern part of the autonomous okrug, across the Bering Strait from Alaska, and very close to the International Date Line.

Puerto Rican crested toad - The Puerto Rican crested toad or simply Puerto Rican toad (Peltophryne lemur) is a species of toad found only in Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands. It is the only species of toad native to Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands. The species formerly occurred in Virgin Gorda and along the southern and northern karst in Puerto Rico. It is listed as a threatened by the US Fish and Wildlife Service due to habitat loss and introduced species. At one period of time it was believed to be extinct until it was rediscovered in 1966. The IUCN has the species listed as critically endangered.

Quadrillion – number – a thousand raised to the power of five(1015).

Qalukisaq – noun – Inupiaq – butterfly.

Quantum - In physics, a quantum (plural: quanta) is the minimum amount of any physical entity (physical property) involved in an interaction. The fundamental notion that a physical property may be"quantized"is referred to as "the hypothesis of quantization". Quantization is one of the foundations of the much broader physics of quantum mechanics. Quantization of energy and its influence on how energy and matter interact (quantum electrodynamics) is part of the fundamental framework for understanding and describing nature.

Quantum stealth cloak - a material that renders the target completely invisible by bending light waves around the target.

Quyanaq – Inupiaq – thank you.

Radiated tortoise - The radiated tortoise (Astrochelys radiata) is a species in the family Testudinidae. Although this species is native to and most abundant in southern Madagascar, it can also be found in the rest of this island, and has been introduced to the islands of Réunion and Mauritius. It is a very long-lived species, with recorded lifespans of at least 188 years. One behavior that has developed with Radiated tortoises is that they will literally dance in the rain almost as if they are trying to shake off debris. These tortoises are classified as critically endangered by the IUCN, mainly because of the destruction of their habitat and because of poaching. The carapace of the radiated tortoise is brilliantly marked with yellow lines radiating from the center of each dark plate of the shell, hence its name.

Ribbon seal - The ribbon seal (Histriophoca fasciata) is a medium-sized pinniped from the true seal family (Phocidae). A seasonally ice-bound species, it is found in the Arctic and Subarctic regions of the North Pacific Ocean, notably in the Bering Sea and Sea of Okhotsk. It is distinguished by its striking coloration, with two wide white strips and two white circles against dark brown or black fur.

Ringed seal - The ringed seal (Pusa hispida) is an earless seal inhabiting the Arctic and sub-Arctic regions. The ringed seal is a relatively small seal, rarely greater than 1.5 m in length, with a distinctive patterning of dark spots surrounded by light grey rings, hence its common name. It is the most abundant and wide-ranging ice seal in the Northern Hemisphere, ranging throughout the Arctic Ocean, into the Bering Sea and Okhotsk Sea as far south as the northern coast of Japan in the Pacific and throughout the North Atlantic coasts of Greenland and Scandinavia as far south as Newfoundland, and including two freshwater subspecies in northern Europe. Ringed seals are one of the primary prey of polar bears and killer whales, and have long been a component of the diet of indigenous people of the Arctic.

Romania - Romania is the twelfth-largest country in Europe, and the sixth-most populous member state of the European Union. Its capital and largest city is Bucharest. Romania is a southeastern European country known for the forested region of Transylvania, ringed by the Carpathian Mountains. Its preserved medieval towns include Sighişoara, and there are many fortified churches and castles.

Rudyard Kipling - Joseph Rudyard Kipling (30 December 1865 – 18 January 1936) was an English journalist, short-story writer, poet, and novelist. He was born in India, which inspired much of his work. Kipling's works of fiction include The Jungle Book (1894), Kim (1901), and many short stories, including "The Man Who Would Be King"(1888). His poems include "Mandalay" (1890), "Gunga Din" (1890), "The Gods of the Copybook Headings" (1919). He is seen as an innovator in the art of the short story. His children's books are classics; one critic noted "a versatile and luminous narrative gift."

Rutland Island - Rutland Island is an island of the Andaman Islands in the Bay of Bengal. It belongs to the South Andaman administrative district, part of the Indian union territory of Andaman and Nicobar Islands.

Savanna– noun - A savanna is a rolling grassland scattered with shrubs and isolated trees, which can be found between a tropical rain-forest and desert biome. Not enough rain falls on a savanna to support forests. Savannas are also known as tropical grasslands. They are found in a wide band on either side of the equator on the edges of tropical rain-forests. Savannas have warm temperature year round.There are actually two very different seasons in a savanna; a very long dry season (winter), and a very wet season (summer). In the dry season only an average of about 4 inches of rain falls. Between December and February no rain will fall at all.

Sadistic – adjective - deriving pleasure from inflicting pain, suffering, or humiliation on others.

Scute- noun - a thickened horny or bony plate on a turtle's shell or on the back of a crocodile, stegosaurus, etc.

Sea pig - Sea pigs are a deep sea-dwelling species of sea cucumber; its scientific name is Scotoplanes globosa. Sea pigs have several squatty little legs and a giant mouth with which they eat detritus that drops down from the ocean surface. Sea pig is a genus of deep-sea sea cucumbers of the family Elpidiidae, orderElasipodida. Members of the Elpidiidae have particularly enlarged tube feet that have taken on a leg-like appearance, using water cavities within the skin to inflate and deflate the appendages.Scotoplanes live on deep ocean bottoms, specifically on the abyssal plain in the Atlantic, Pacific and Indian Ocean, typically at depths of over 1200–5000 meters. Some related species can be found in the Antarctic. Scotoplanes (and all deep-sea holothurians) are deposit feeders, and obtain food by extracting organic particles from deep-sea mud. Scotoplanes globosa has been observed to demonstrate strong preferences for rich, organic food that has freshly fallen from the ocean's surface, and uses olfaction to locate preferred food sources such as whale corpses.

Sea squirt - Sea squirt, also called ascidian, any member of the invertebrate class Ascidiacea (subphylumUrochordata, also called Tunicata), marine animals with some primitive vertebrate features. Sea squirts are primarily sessile(permanently fixed to a surface), potato-shaped organisms found in all seas, from the intertidal zone to the greatest depths. They commonly reside on pier pilings, ships' hulls, rocks, large seashells, and the backs of large crabs. Some species live individually; others live in groups or colonies. While few animals eat sea squirts, they are eaten and considered a delicacy in many Asian countries.

Seismologists are Earth scientists, specialized in geophysics, who study the genesis and the propagation of seismic waves in geological materials. These geological materials can range from a laboratory sample to the Earth as a whole, from its surface to its core. Their research aims at interpreting the geological composition and structures of the Earth. In the case of earthquakes, seismologists evaluate the potential dangers and seek to minimize their impact through the improvement of construction standards.

Sei whale - The sei whale(Balaenoptera borealis) is a baleen whale, the third-largest rorqual after the blue whale and the fin whale. It inhabits most oceans and adjoining seas, and prefers deep offshore waters. It avoids polar and tropical waters and semi-enclosed bodies of water.The sei whale migrates annually from cool, subpolar waters in summer to temperate, subtropical waters in winter with a lifespan of 70years. The sei whale is listed as endangered under the Endangered Species Act and depleted under the Marine Mammal Protection Act.

Sentient- adjective - able to perceive or feel things, responsiveto or conscious of sense impressions, finely sensitive in perception or feeling.

Serengeti- The Serengeti ecosystem is a geographical region in Africa. It is located in northern Tanzania. It spans approximately30,000 km(12,000 sq mi). The Serengeti hosts the second largest terrestrial mammal migration in the world, which helps secure it as one of the Seven Natural Wonders of Africa, and as one of the ten natural travel wonders of the world. The Serengeti is also renowned for its large lion population and is one of the best places to observe prides in their natural environment. The region contains the Serengeti National Park in Tanzania and several game reserves.

Setae - In biology, setae (singular seta; from the Latin word for"bristle") are any of a number of different bristle or hair-like structures on living organisms.

Short-tailed albatross - The short-tailed albatross or Steller's albatross (Phoebastria albatrus) is a large rare seabird from the North Pacific. Although related to the other North Pacific albatrosses, it also exhibits behavioral and morphological links to the albatrosses of the Southern Ocean. It was described by the German naturalist Peter Simon Pallas from skins collected by Georg Wilhelm Steller (after whom its other common name is derived). Once common, it was brought to the edge of extinction by the trade in feathers, but with protection efforts underway since the 1950s, the species is in the process of recovering with an increasing population trend. Its breeding range, however, remains small. The worldwide population of short-tailed albatrosses continues to be in danger of extinction throughout its range due to natural environmental threats, small population size, and the small number of breeding colonies. The IUCN lists the short-tailed albatross as vulnerable.

Sixth Extinction - The Holocene extinction, otherwise referred to as the Sixth Extinction or Anthropocene extinction, is the ongoing extinction event of species during the present Holocene epoch, mainly as a result of human activity. The large number of extinctions spans numerous families of plants and animals, including mammals, birds,amphibians, reptiles and arthropods. With widespread degradation of highly biodiverse habitats such as coral reefs and rainforests, as well as other areas, the vast majority of these extinctions are thought to be undocumented, as no one is even aware of the existence of the species before they go extinct, or no one has yet discovered their extinction. The current rate of extinction of species is estimated at 100 to 1,000 times higher than natural background rates.

South Asian River dolphin - The South Asian river dolphins are two species of toothed whales in the genus Platanista, both of which are found in freshwater habitats in northern South Asia. Both species in the genus are endangered. Due to multiple threats, including pollution, water diversion, habitat fragmentation, and bycatch, the Ganges river dolphin is seriously threatened. Several major infrastructure projects within its region will impose a real risk for catastrophic population decline in the future.

Smartskin is designed to be responsive and can change by external stimuli, such as stress, moisture, electric or magnetic fields,light, temperature, pH, or chemical compounds. Smartskin can generate images and be modified by android/gynoid programming to produce radical changes in skin tone from albino to aboriginal brown and ebony. Smartskin can generate camouflage for any environment, as well as scars and tattoos (fictional).

Southeast Asia - Southeast Asia, also spelt South East Asia and South-East Asia, and also known as Southeastern Asia or SEA, is the geographical southeasternsubregion of Asia, consisting of the regions that are south of China, south-east of the Indian sub-continent and north-west of Australia.Southeast Asia is bordered to the north by East Asia, to the west by South Asia and the Bay of Bengal, to the east by Oceania and thePacific Ocean, and to the south by Australia and the Indian Ocean.

Spartacus - Spartacus(Spartacus; c. 111–71 BC) was a Thracian gladiator who, along with Crixus, Gannicus, Castus,and Oenomaus, was one of the escaped slave leaders in the ThirdServile War, a major slave uprising against the Roman Republic. Little is known about him beyond the events of the war, and surviving historical accounts are sometimes contradictory. All sources agree that he was a former gladiator and an accomplished military leader.

Spectacled eider - The spectacled eider (Somateriafischeri) is a large seaduck that breeds on the coasts of Alaska and northeastern Siberia. Due to their significant population decline and increased vulnerability at low population numbers, the USFWS listed the spectacled eider as threatened throughout its range in Russia and Alaska under the ESA in 1993.

Spotted seal - The spotted seal(Phoca largha), also known as the larga seal or largha seal, is a member of the family Phocidae, and is considered a "true seal". It inhabits ice floes and waters of the north Pacific Ocean and adjacent seas. It is primarily found along the continental shelf of the Beaufort, Chukchi, Bering and Okhotsk Seas and south to the northern Yellow Sea and it migrates south as far as northern Huanghai and the western Sea of Japan. One distinct population segment of spotted seals outside U.S. waters (the southern distinct population segment, DPS)—with breeding concentrations in the Yellow Sea and the Sea ofJapan—is listed as threatened under the Endangered Species Act.

Starboard – noun - the side of a ship or aircraft that is on the right when one is facing forward.

Stern – noun - The front of a boat is called the bow, while the rear of a boat is called the stern.

Stratosphere – noun - the stratosphere is the second major layer of Earth's atmosphere, just above the troposphere, and below the mesosphere. The stratosphere is stratified in temperature, with warmer layers higher and cooler layers closer to the Earth; this increase of temperature with altitude is a result of the absorption of the Sun's ultraviolet radiation by the ozone layer.

Subjugate – verb - bring under domination or control, especially by conquest.

Sumatran elephant - The Sumatran elephant (Elephas maximus sumatranus) is one of three recognized subspecies of the Asian elephant, and native to the Indonesian island of Sumatra. In 2011, IUCN upgraded the conservation status of the Sumatran elephant from endangered to critically endangered in its Red List as the populationhad declined by at least 80% during the past three generations, estimated to be about 75 years.

Sumo – Sumo is a form of competitive full-contact wrestling where a rikishi (wrestler)attempts to force his opponent out of a circular ring or into touching the ground with any body part other than the soles of his feet (usually by throwing, shoving or pushing him down). Professional sumo excludes women from competition and ceremonies.

Super-user privileges - Superuser accounts are highly privileged accounts primarily used for administration by specialized IT employees. These users/accounts may have virtually unlimited privileges, or ownership, over a system.

Supersonic - Supersonic speed isthe speed of an object that exceeds the speed of sound (Mach 1). For objects traveling in dry air of a temperature of 20 °C (68 °F) at sea level, this speed is approximately 343.2 m/s (1,126 ft/s;768 mph; 667.1 kn; 1,236 km/h).

Superyacht– noun - there are no official or agreed upon definitions for superyacht or megayacht, but these terms are regularly used to describe large, luxurious, professionally crewed motor or sailing yachts, ranging from 40 meters (120 feet) to more than 180 meters (540 feet) in length and sometimes include yachts as small as 24 meters (72 feet).

Synthetic consciousness - Artificial consciousness (AC), also known as machine consciousness (MC) or synthetic consciousness, is a field related to artificial intelligence and cognitive robotics. The aim of the theory of artificial consciousness is to "Define that which would have tobe synthesized were consciousness to be found in an engineered artifact." Neuroscience hypothesizes that consciousness is generated by the interoperation of various parts of the brain, called the neural correlates of consciousness or NCC, though there are challenges to that perspective. Proponents of AC believe it is possible to construct systems (e.g., computer systems) that can emulate this NCC interoperation.

Taataruaq – noun – Inupiaq – grandfather, also means father-in-law.

Tahiti - Tahiti is the largest island in French Polynesia, the South Pacific archipelago. Shaped like a figure-8, it's divided intoTahiti Nui (the larger, western section) and Tahiti Iti (the eastern peninsula). With black-sand beaches, lagoons, waterfalls and 2 extinct volcanoes, it's a popular vacation destination.

Tarsal bones - The tarsal bones consist of seven short bones located at the proximal region of the foot.

Telepathy- noun - communication with another person by thinking rather than by using words or other signals.

Termite mounds - Mound-building termites are a group of termite species that live in mounds. These termites live in Africa, Australia and South America. The mounds sometimes have a diameter of 30 meters. Most of the mounds are in well-drained areas. Termite mounds usually outlive the colonies themselves. If the inner tunnels of the nest areexposed it is usually dead. Sometimes other colonies, of the same or different species, occupy a mound after the original builders'deaths.

Tetracaine, also known as amethocaine, is a local anesthetic used to numb the eyes, nose, or throat.

Thought transference – another term for telepathy.

Tíngzhǐ– Mandarin - "stop, cease, halt, suspend, call off."

Tootega - In Inuit mythology, Tootega is a wisened old goddess, who lives in a stone hut and has the ability to walk on water.

Totipotent – adjective (biology) - A totipotent cell is a single cell that can give rise to a new organism, given appropriate maternal support. Totipotent stem cells are unique asthey have a greater developmental potential compared with other stem cells.

Tourette's – Tourette Syndrome is a disorder that involves repetitive movements or unwanted sounds (tics) that can't be easily controlled. For instance, you might repeatedly blink your eyes, shrug your shoulders or blurt out unusual sounds or offensive words.

Transdermal - adjective - relating to or denoting the application of a medicine or drug through the skin, typically by using an adhesive patch, so that it is absorbed slowly into the body.

Trojan horse - A Trojan horse or Trojan is a type of malware that is often disguised as legitimate software. Trojans can be employed by cyber-thieves and hackers trying to gain access to users' systems. Users are typically tricked by some form of social engineering into loading and executing Trojans on their systems.

Trophic level - The trophic level of an organism is the position it occupies in a food web. A food chain is a succession of organisms that eat other organisms and may, in turn, be eaten themselves. The trophic level of an organism is the number of steps it is from the start of the chain.

Troposphere – noun - the troposphere is the lowest layer of Earth's atmosphere, and is also where nearly all weather conditions take place. It contains approximately 75% of the atmosphere's mass and 99% of the total mass of water vapor and aerosols.

Tupai - Tupai, also called Motu Iti, is a low-lying atoll in Society Islands, French Polynesia. It lies 19 km to the north of BoraBora and belongs to the western Leeward Islands. This small atoll is only 11 km² in area. Its broad coral reef encloses a shallow sandy lagoon.

Tupiich– noun – Inupiaq – facial tattoo lines.

Turkey is a nation straddling eastern Europe and western Asia with cultural connections to ancient Greek, Persian, Roman, Byzantine and Ottoman empires. Cosmopolitan Istanbul, on the Bosphorus Strait, is home to the iconic Hagia Sophia, with its soaring dome and Christian mosaics, the massive 17th-century Blue Mosque and the circa-1460 Topkapı Palace, former home of sultans. Ankara is Turkey's modern capital.

Tuttuk– noun – Inupiaq – caribou.

Tuungak– noun – Inupiaq - demon.

Udachi – Russian – good luck!

Uelen - Uelen is a rural locality (a selo) in Chukotsky District, just south of the Arctic Circle in Chukotka Autonomous Okrug in the Russian Far East.

Ungulate – noun – a hoofed mammal. Ungulates are members of the diverse clade Ungulata which primarily consists of large mammals with hooves. These include odd-toed ungulates such as horses, rhinoceroses, and tapirs; and even-toed ungulates such as cattle,pigs, giraffes, camels, sheep, deer, and hippopotamuses.

Unnualluataq – Inupiaq – good night.

VR– noun - virtual reality is the computer-generated simulationof a three-dimensional image or environment that can be interacted with in a seemingly real or physical way by a person using special electronic equipment, such as a helmet with a screen inside or a jumpsuit with gloves fitted with sensors.

Vasiliev – Russian – this surname recorded in over fifty different spellings from Basil, Bazelle, and Bazeley, to Basilone,Vasile, Vasilchenko, Vasovic, and Wasilewski, is of Ancient Greek origins. It derives from word "basileios" meaning "royal", and originally was given only to children of royal or noble birth.

Vertebrates – noun - an animal of a large group distinguished by the possession of a backbone or spinal column, including mammals, birds, reptiles, amphibians, and fishes. Vertebrates comprise all species of animals within the subphylum Vertebrata. Vertebrates represent the overwhelming majority of the phylum Chordata, with currently about 69,963 species described.

Vetiver– noun - a fragrant extract or essential oil obtained from the root of an Indian grass, used in perfumery and aromatherapy.

Virtual private network (VPN) – noun - a method employing encryption to provide secure access to a remote computer over the internet. The encrypted connection helps ensure that sensitive datais safely transmitted. It prevents unauthorized people from eavesdropping on the traffic and allows the user to conduct work remotely.

Vivarium– noun - an enclosure, container, or structure adapted or prepared for keeping animals under semi-natural conditions for observation or study or as pets; an aquarium or terrarium.

Wearable Emergency Faunal Transport (WEFT) – a cape-like garment that allows sick or injured animals weighing not more than one hundred and twenty pounds to be safely transported on the back of the wearer (fictional).

Western Caucasus - The Western Caucasus is a western region of the Caucasus in Southern Russia, extending from the Black Sea to Mount Elbrus. The Western Caucasus includes a natural UNESCO World Heritage Site comprising the extreme western edge of the Caucasus Mountains. As stated by the UNESCO specialists, it is the only large mountain area in Europe that has not experienced significant human impact. Its habitats are exceptionally varied for such a small area, ranging from lowlands to glaciers.

Western lowland gorilla - The western lowland gorilla (Gorillagorilla gorilla) is one of two subspecies of the western gorilla that lives in montane, primary and secondary forest and lowland swampland in central Africa in Angola, Cameroon, Central African Republic, Republic of the Congo, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Equatorial Guinea and Gabon. The western lowland gorilla isconsidered to be critically endangered by the IUCN.

Windscreen - Cockpit windscreens (sometimes referred to as windshields) are typically comprised of several layers, designed to deal with air pressure of up to 500 knots and to avoid shattering when striking a bird.

Wǒde Jiǎo! – Mandarin, "My feet!"

Wǒde Fùshǔ wù! - Mandarin, "My appendages!"

Woka – Inuit – brave. Woka's real name is actually Vova, whichmeans 'ruler of the world.'

World's worst invasive alien species – Global Invasive Species Database (GISD), http://issg.org, is a free, online searchable source of information about species that negatively impact biodiversity.

Yanbu – Yanbu is a port city on the Red Sea coast of western Saudi Arabia.

Xip3- Xip3® is a multi-functional, transformable jacket. A patented zipper system allows the wearer to transform the jacket into a pillow or backpack. The jacket can be worn while utilizing the backpack.

Yuka – Inuit – a bright star.

ZhangWei Lang – Mandarin - Great Wolf.

Zinc - Zinc is a chemical element with the symbol Zn and atomic number 30. Zinc is a slightly brittle metal at room temperature and has a silvery-greyish appearance when oxidation is removed. It is the first element in group 12 of the periodic table. Zincis an essential mineral that is naturally present in some foods, added to others, and available as a dietary supplement.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

18.5K 329 31
(On Hold) From the time she was born Kaylynn had this gift that always baffled her parents. It was something that seemed out of a movie or comic. She...
71.3K 1.2K 17
Perfectly Imperfect || Lo'ak PLLEASE I WROTE THIS LAST UEAR AND I WAS A HORNY LITTLE GIRL PLEASE DONT BASH ME ༺ Y/N, the only 'different' daughter in...
617 18 43
Technology can't be trusted, even in a world where it's regulated by magic. The moment Ali turned 12, she's been whisked off to Foxfire, an elite s...
327K 7.2K 67
"𝕴 𝖑𝖔𝖔𝖐𝖊𝖉 𝖆𝖙 𝖍𝖎𝖒... 𝖆𝖓𝖉 𝕴 𝖘𝖆𝖜 𝖒𝖞𝖘𝖊𝖑𝖋." Y/n is a strange girl that came to Berk with her family at the age of five. She was a...