LONG STORY SHORT, james potter

By aurorasandsadprosee

long story short, i was a bad time long story short, i survived marauders era james potter x fem!oc More

𝐥𝐨𝐧𝐠 𝐬𝐭𝐨𝐫𝐲 𝐬𝐡𝐨𝐫𝐭.
𝐩𝐫𝐨𝐥𝐨𝐠𝐮𝐞.
𝐨𝐧𝐞.
𝐭𝐰𝐨.
𝐭𝐡𝐫𝐞𝐞.
𝐟𝐨𝐮𝐫.
𝐟𝐢𝐯𝐞.
𝐬𝐢𝐱.
𝐬𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐧.
𝐞𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭.
𝐧𝐢𝐧𝐞.
𝐭𝐞𝐧.
𝐞𝐥𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐧.
𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐥𝐯𝐞.
𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐫𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧.
𝐟𝐨𝐮𝐫𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧.
𝐟𝐢𝐟𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧.
𝐬𝐢𝐱𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧.
𝐈𝐍𝐓𝐄𝐑𝐌𝐈𝐒𝐒𝐈𝐎𝐍
𝐬𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧.
𝐞𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧.
𝐧𝐢𝐧𝐞𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧.
𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲.
𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲 𝐨𝐧𝐞.
𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲 𝐭𝐰𝐨.
𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲 𝐭𝐡𝐫𝐞𝐞.
𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲 𝐟𝐨𝐮𝐫.
𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲 𝐬𝐢𝐱.
𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲 𝐬𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐧.
𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲 𝐞𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭.
𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲 𝐧𝐢𝐧𝐞.
𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐫𝐭𝐲.
𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐫𝐭𝐲 𝐨𝐧𝐞.
𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐫𝐭𝐲 𝐭𝐰𝐨.
𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐫𝐭𝐲 𝐭𝐡𝐫𝐞𝐞.
𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐫𝐭𝐲 𝐟𝐨𝐮𝐫.
𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐫𝐭𝐲 𝐟𝐢𝐯𝐞.
𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐫𝐭𝐲 𝐬𝐢𝐱.
𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐫𝐭𝐲 𝐬𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐧.
𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐫𝐭𝐲 𝐞𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭.
𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐫𝐭𝐲 𝐧𝐢𝐧𝐞.
𝐟𝐨𝐫𝐭𝐲.
𝐟𝐨𝐫𝐭𝐲 𝐨𝐧𝐞.
𝐟𝐨𝐫𝐭𝐲 𝐭𝐰𝐨.
𝐟𝐨𝐫𝐭𝐲 𝐭𝐡𝐫𝐞𝐞.
𝐟𝐨𝐫𝐭𝐲 𝐟𝐨𝐮𝐫.
𝐟𝐨𝐫𝐭𝐲 𝐟𝐢𝐯𝐞.
𝐟𝐨𝐫𝐭𝐲 𝐬𝐢𝐱.
𝐟𝐨𝐫𝐭𝐲 𝐬𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐧.
𝐟𝐨𝐫𝐭𝐲 𝐞𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭.
𝐟𝐨𝐫𝐭𝐲 𝐧𝐢𝐧𝐞.

𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲 𝐟𝐢𝐯𝐞.

6.1K 265 51
By aurorasandsadprosee

CHAPTER TWENTY FIVE

new years resolutions

BETTY AND REMUS spent the rest of the holiday sleeping off the amount that they had drank during the night of New Year's Eve. Dark circles were creased under Remus's eyes as they plodded through King's Cross Station; however, a wash of melancholy took hold of his nearly slumbering body as he realized this was the second to last time he was ever going to board the Hogwarts Express. That his childhood was nearly over. His heart and mind froze as his feet kept trekking towards the entrance. 

Betty, next to him, watched the muggles around them—people like her mother. People that were blissfully unaware that at any moment a wizard could kill them in a green flash. That there were plots against them currently brewing and not even the proclaimed best and brightest—Dumbledore, Lily, McGonagall, herself—could make out when those plots would unfold. She pushed the dark, encroaching thoughts to the back of her mind, shoved a smile on her face and picked up her pace as she tore her eyes away from the passersby and ran into the platform. 

She swerved immediately to the side to avoid hitting a man standing quite close to the entrance and continued forward with a spring in her step. Her brother ( who was taller than her, even though she was also quite tall ) caught up to her though, despite her fast stride. 

"Cookies in the kitchens tonight?" he asked as he nudged her shoulder with a smile and a knot in his throat.

She smiled at him remorsefully. "Can't. I have rounds first. Filling in for Edgar." She sighed at the thought, not knowing who her rounds partner would be, knowing it could be terrible or a fantastic night. 

"James!" Remus called with a wide grin as he waved him over. 

"And that's my cue."

"Come on Betty!" Remus pouted as his smile turned up more, his eyes pleading. "You were getting along fine over the holidays."

"I'm always in a better mood around Christmas." Betty blew a piece of hair out of her face and huffed obstinately. But, she'd spent too much time talking about how much she didn't want to be around James that he'd arrived before she could make a swift exit. She sighed and turned to face the boy; however, she found herself looking at the way his honey brown hair moved with the steam from the train a little too long before snapping back to his face. "Hi James." 

"Hi Betty." His lips were pursed, obviously holding back laughter as he looked at her with twinkling eyes. 

For once, she didn't want to be mad at him. "How was your holiday?" Remus looked at her like she was a ghost and James visibly was shocked, but was much more inconspicuous than her brother.

"It was good, thanks." He turned to Remus. "And I've worked out how to get the instant darkness powder that my dad imported into the pipes without it sticking!"

Betty's smile fell immediately as she rolled her eyes and looked at him. "Really? I thought you were going to say you read a book or matured or—"

"What use would I have with that?" His laughter rung out, grabbing attention from a few people, but mostly annoying Betty. She rolled her eyes, returned her hands to her trolley, gripped the handles until her knuckles turned white. She pushed, remembering that at the end of the day all James Potter would ever be is an arrogant arsehole. However, his face dropped as he dragged a hand across his face. "Betty. Come on! It was a joke!" She stopped, but sent him a pointed look. "Don't be a—"

"I'd watch what you're about to say," she snarled as she glared at him from over her shoulder.

"I was just joking!" His smile was tight yet chipper as he looked at her. Expectation. There was expectation in his eyes. 

She pressed her lips into a line as she looked between his eyes, sighed and turned forward, continuing to push. The black worn wheels squeaked as they trundled along the platform, almost drowning out James's shouts from behind her and her brother's disapproving glare upon him. But, Aisling's sweet bird song voice washed it all away as she hurdled towards Betty. She wrapped her arms around Betty's neck, causing them to both stumble back and hit someone's shoulder. Betty wrapped her arms around Aisling and squeezed just as hard. "I missed you!" 

"I missed you too," Betty mumbled into her shoulder. They pulled away and Aisling took in Betty ( although it had only really been a few days )

With her hair a little frazzled and dark bags under her eyes, to any odd viewer, she would have looked pretty well put together, but to people who knew her, she looked like a wreck. However, this time it was because of drunken New Years ballads and almost kisses, so a half smile formed on Aisling's face. "Goodie two shoes Betty Lupin showing up to the platform hungover—"

"Hold on there—"

"What ever shall we do?" Aisling grinned as she commandeered Betty's trolley and pushed it towards the train. 

They met their friends and they all helped each other load trunks and bags onto the train, making sure to stow them safely above the seats. However, the energy quickly died down after their initial rumblings about their winter holidays. Philippa and Betty sat on the right hand side with Cece and Aisling on the other, playing cards. Philippa was knitting ( a hobby she'd taken up after being gifted knitting needles for Christmas by her grandmother ) what would become a scarf in dark Gryffindor red while Betty read, head in Pippa's lap, and drifted in and out of sleep. Aisling had brought a portable radio that was once her aunt's, but she'd charmed it to play John Denver for the ride up. 

It was quiet as people passed by their compartment, but none of them moved sans changing into their robes. A portrait of the very essence of girlhood laid before the students of Hogwarts, hidden away in a regular compartment. But perhaps that's always how it was, people preferred childhood, adulthood and boyhood, leaving girlhood to sequester to dark corners and behind doors. But perhaps that's what made it special. Like a daisy peaking through concrete, it always showed its colors in bright smiles and changing clothes. Like love, it always persevered, even if dark clouds aimed to shroud it eternally. 

Somnolent, they grasped at the handles of their trucks and heaved them down, together. With wands out due to being back at Hogwarts, their trunks levitated behind each of them as they shrugged on their robes and gloves. Hats hid hair as the winter air nipped their noses, making them run. Quickly, the carriages were filled and set off towards the glittering, newly white castle. The castle was warm as the student body ventured further into and found their assigned tables. Sitting down, chatter filled the air. 

It was nervous, but there was nothing remarkable about it. Everyone seemed to shove the reality of the world—one that some had been walloped with upon returning home—into the back of their minds once more as they all ate the same food and spoke about the same courses. Prefect's badges glinted as students started to head back to their dorms to become reacquainted with them, only a few first years asking the prefects questions. 

Betty eventually chased Aisling through the corridors to the Hufflepuff common room, her hair flying behind her and the cold air stinging her lungs. Her cheeks were bright red and she laughed with every step. Her hair flew in her face as she abruptly stopped in front of the barrels that lead to their common room. Aisling tapped the barrel with the rhythm and they rumbled to the side, revealing the warm chatter and flight of paper birds. Betty grinned at the sight, drinking up the sight of her peculiar and sublime housemates. 

She giggled as she entered, making eye contact with Arthur MacMillan, who was making a bird play with the ends of her hair. She looked away quickly, feeling Aisling dragging her towards their dorm and they were immediately greeted by their dorm-mates. She nearly forgot to look at the time, until one of the girls brought out her muggle alarm clock and a pit filled her stomach. She checked her watch and saw she had three minutes to get to the Great Hall.

She immediately turned, without a word, and sprinted down the stairs, out of the common room, through the crowds of students saying good night to friends in different houses and finding those who were. Eventually, she pushed through them and made her way all the way to the Great Hall. Her partner was already there, dark robes adorning their body with even darker hair. From their stature, they were clearly male and Betty cleared her throat, grabbing their attention.

"You're late," a voice drawled. She had to catch a groan as she recognised the voice. "But I shouldn't expect anything less from—"

"Save it, Snape," she growled as she approached him. 

"I'll have you written up for—"

"Don't get me started on what I could have you written up for. Especially after last year."

Severus only raised an eyebrow. "Did your dear brother tell you about that?"

"He did." She stood her ground with crossed arms as she glared at him.

"Always knew that there was something there. Are you one too?"

"Even if I was, what makes you think I'd tell you?"

"Would explain how emotional you are."

She scoffed. "What about me strikes you as emotional?" She shook her head. "As if I have anything to prove to you." Although, her last remark was quieter, to herself. 

He only looked at her with the same expression he eternally held. Sucking at his teeth, he glowered at her before rolling his eyes and sighing. "Bones and I usually split up to cover more ground. His idea."

"Anyone would have that idea with you as their partner." 

His cheeks grew pink and his eyes widened his anger, but she had already turned away from him. She was walking quickly, so by the time he'd raised his wand to cast a spell at her, she'd already practically turned into the next corridor. Wary that anyone would see or hear it if he followed her, he tucked his wand back into his cloak and walked down the opposing corridor. He'd wait for when they crossed paths again. Because in a loop like Hogwarts, you always saw those you didn't want to see. 

She hummed to herself as she walked along the corridors. She didn't take out her wand as her eyes adjusted to the darkness and kept her ears sharp. She waved to friendly portraits and stayed quiet for those who were sleeping. The dead seemed to be the only ones alive and dancing under the stars at Hogwarts that night.

The mutters of Snape echoed through the corridors. She couldn't hear the specifics, but she could hear something and that was enough for her. She turned whenever it became too loud for her and walked in the other direction, but he always managed to catch up with her.

The silence irked her. She didn't like that she could hear him from so far away. She didn't like the feeling that someone was going to jump out of the darkness. And she nearly thought she was going mad when she could've sworn she heard whispering ever so often.

She counted her steps, braided her hair and practiced spell movements with her wand in an attempt to distract herself from the darkness closing in around her. She tapped her fingers and toes and let the whimsy of childhood songs about everything, nothing and newborn grass fill her mind. 

She thought about dinner, impending tests, what she'd do if she saw Kellan in the halls, how to help Cece and Mary and everything else under the moon. She counted until she couldn't think of the next number. 

Just as she could hear Severus one corridor over, distracted by trillions and billions, her wildest fears were confirmed as felt someone brush past her shoulder. She nearly yelped until she felt them hit her back with their own. She whipped around, wand at the ready until she saw the glittering eyes and devilish smile. He pulled a cloak from off of his head, leaving his hair messy and glasses slightly askew. 

"Betty," he whispered as his eyes searched her own. 

"What the fuck are you doing?" Her tone was emphatic as she looked over his shoulder. 

"A little fun." His tone was teasing. 

"Where are the others?" 

"Back at the dorm. Had to make sure that something was placed correctly." 

She studied him and thought for a moment. Even though the context was less than ideal, he cared. And that was something she could always come to respect. She looked over his shoulder once more as she heard Severus's voice becoming louder. 

Quickly, she took his arm and set off running down the corridor until it split in two, leading in opposite directions. With a hand over his mouth, she shoved him against the wall of the right corridor until he shoved her hand off. 

He opened his mouth, but she cut him off: "Snape." A grin broke out as he readied his wand, but she put her hand over his. "He's in a horrible mood right now."

"When is he not?" James's eyes never left her as she peaked over the wall periodically. 

She sighed and swallowed thickly. "I said something earlier that irked him and he's really pissed."

James's eyebrows shot up and smile formed on his mouth. "Little Lupin—"

"Shut it!" Her voice was quiet, but powerful as she spotted his shoes. In a stroke of luck, his wand wasn't illuminated, but he'd hear their footsteps. She cursed herself for not dragging James farther along. 

She whimpered as she pressed her back against the wall next to James, feeling Severus stalk closer. James was not phased, but could feel her shifting next to him, grabbed her hand and squeezed it reassuringly. She held onto his arm with her other hand as she rested her head against the wall. She fought the urge to run as James fought the urge to step forward. She could feel Severus getting closer and closer, a grumble laced with her name and a spell she'd never heard of, until she saw the sheen of his black dress shoes step forward. 

They both held their breath, eyes hanging onto him. His shoes shuffled forward, followed by his green and black robes and greasy hair. He looked behind him, missing their figures and back again. His eyes were searching, he could feel someone with him in the corridor, but he couldn't place where. He looked back once more as Betty's grip on James tightened. 

As if in slow motion, she could see his head turning towards them. His hair shifting, his hands directing themselves towards the culprit and his accomplice, until ghostly laughter echoed from the other side. His head immediately whipped towards the sound as he started speeding down the corridor, wand drawn and ready. 

Betty sighed as she collapsed into James from nerves. He held her as his back slid down the cool wall, landing them on the uneven stone floors. Catching her breath, her eyes trailed Severus's wand light as they hid in the darkness. Not even moonlight dared to touch them. 

James was warm. Much warmer than she'd thought he'd be. Though, His hands were rough against her arms. She drank in his musky cologne that lingered from the morning and the smell of his freshly washed uniform from home. But, she remembered who his was. He smelled sweet and his touch was gentle, but under it resided the same boy she'd known. Because not even something as sweet as a Lily could change him. 

She pushed herself up and off of the floor, dusting herself off. She walked forward, not casting a glance in his direction as she heard him grumble, curse to himself for being so nice and get up, returning to where he'd come.

His warmth lingered on her as the cold air nipped her once again, making her shudder and miss the cool stone floor. She could still feel him gripping her hand as she wrapped it around her torso, continuing around the castle. She knew that Severus would never be able to catch Peeves, so she reckoned that he'd be in a much more foul mood if they met again. Wanting to not be hexed, she headed back to her common room after she finished her portion of the rounds. 

Her warm bed awaited her and she sighed as she crawled under the covers. She let her mind wander as she begged sleep to overtake her and the warmth of the duvet became peculiarly like James, but she immediately crinkled her nose at the thought and forced the thought out of her mind. She let her mind rest as her slumbering raced with the sun, wondering who would win: deep circles under her eyes or feet on the wooden floors ten minutes before normal. Though, it would have been hard to sleep as James curled like ivy into her dreamland. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

5.8K 85 5
↳ 𝗶𝗻 𝘄𝗵𝗶𝗰𝗵 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗮𝘂𝘁𝗵𝗼𝗿 𝘁𝗲𝗹𝗹𝘀 𝘁𝗵𝗲𝗶𝗿 𝘀𝘁𝗼𝗿𝘆 𝘁𝗵𝗿𝗼𝘂𝗴𝗵 𝗼𝗻𝗲 𝘀𝗵𝗼𝘁𝘀 Remus Lupin x Fem! Reader
26.8K 546 14
"𝘐𝘧 𝘪𝘵 𝘮𝘢𝘬𝘦𝘴 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘧𝘦𝘦𝘭 𝘢𝘯𝘺 𝘣𝘦𝘵𝘵𝘦𝘳 𝘊𝘩𝘢𝘴𝘦, 𝘐 𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘯𝘬 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘩𝘢𝘷𝘦 𝘯𝘪𝘤𝘦 𝘭𝘪𝘱𝘴, 𝘵𝘰𝘰." ***** 🌸𝐌𝐚𝐫𝐚𝐮𝐝�...
193K 7.8K 60
the thought of you kills me, and yet i will die before i think of anything else. [ james potter x fem!oc ] [ ex-lovers to enemies to lovers ]
2.1K 96 9
"And perhaps it is the greater grief, after all, to be left on earth when another is gone." -Madeline Miller Book 1 of the Love Like Series James Pot...