๐ƒ๐ž๐ฌ๐ญ๐ข๐ง๐ฒ'๐ฌ ๐€๐ฐ๐š๐ค๐ž๏ฟฝ...

By magics-protector

book 1 ๐„๐•๐„๐‘๐‹๐€๐’๐“ โ•ฐโ”ˆโžค โ [To last always or forever; continue; endure; remain.]โž โ ๐•ฅ๐•™๐•–๐•ฃ๐•– ๐•”๐•’๐•Ÿ ๏ฟฝ... More

๐—ฑ๐—ฒ๐˜€๐˜๐—ถ๐—ป๐˜†'๐˜€ ๐—ฎ๐˜„๐—ฎ๐—ธ๐—ฒ๐—ป๐—ถ๐—ป๐—ด - ส™แดแดแด‹ แดษดแด‡
๐—ฎ๐—ฐ๐˜ ๐—ผ๐—ป๐—ฒ - ๐š๐šŽ๐šœ๐š๐š’๐š—๐šข'๐šœ ๐šŠ๐š ๐šŠ๐š”๐šŽ๐š—๐š’๐š—๐š
๐‚๐‡๐€๐๐“๐„๐‘ ๐ŸŽ๐Ÿ. ๐šƒ๐š‘๐šŽ ๐™ณ๐š›๐šŠ๐š๐š˜๐š—'๐šœ ๐™ฒ๐šŠ๐š•๐š•
๐‚๐‡๐€๐๐“๐„๐‘ ๐ŸŽ๐Ÿ. ๐š…๐šŠ๐š•๐š’๐šŠ๐š—๐š
๐‚๐‡๐€๐๐“๐„๐‘ ๐ŸŽ๐Ÿ‘. ๐šƒ๐š‘๐šŽ ๐™ผ๐šŠ๐š›๐š” ๐š˜๐š ๐™ฝ๐š’๐š–๐šž๐šŽ๐š‘
??????? ??. ??? ???? ?? ??? ?????
๐‚๐‡๐€๐๐“๐„๐‘ ๐ŸŽ๐Ÿ“. ๐šƒ๐š‘๐šŽ ๐š‚๐š˜๐š—๐š ๐š˜๐š ๐š๐š‘๐šŽ ๐š‚๐š’๐š›๐šŽ๐š—
๐‚๐‡๐€๐๐“๐„๐‘ ๐ŸŽ๐Ÿ•. ๐™ป๐šŠ๐š—๐šŒ๐šŽ๐š•๐š˜๐š

๐‚๐‡๐€๐๐“๐„๐‘ ๐ŸŽ๐Ÿ”. ๐šƒ๐š‘๐šŽ ๐™ฟ๐š˜๐š’๐šœ๐š˜๐š—๐šŽ๐š ๐™ฒ๐š‘๐šŠ๐š•๐š’๐šŒ๐šŽ

389 11 12
By magics-protector

─•~❉᯽❉~•─

If there was one thing about that night, it was that things were truly turning out for Camelot for the better. War and strife had always been an issue but with a change of the tides, things were starting to look up. The air was no longer full of stress and strife.

It was within the banquet hall that Rylee felt the conflicting pressuring feelings of both anxiety and joy throughout the room. It was nice that, despite the lingering anxiety, the fear of one false mistake, that the outcome of all of this would be for the benefit of everyone. Finally, after so long, a time of peace would take Camelot into its grasp.

The festivities that surrounded the signing of the peace treaty between Camelot and Mercia were to be spectacular. Finally, peace after such a long period of war and bloodshed.

Rylee stood near the wall, standing off to the side of the Royal table, watching the festivities as the two kings in the center of the room commenced with the signing of the treaty.  

The young sorceress looked up, fighting back laughter at Merlin's dreadful ensemble, gifted to him by Arthur of course. The sorceress lightly pushed the sorcerer's shoulder, the feathers of Merlin's hat shuffling as the young sorcerer bounced back. "I dunno Merlin," She laughed, "I think it's a good look for you."

The young man rolled his eyes at the girl. "You wouldn't be saying that if you had to wear this."

Rylee hummed. "Probably not." But then her eyes lit up. "But then again, I would probably just make you wear it instead."

Merlin fought back laughter. But all he had to do was take one look at her face before he broke and they laughed together. It was a lovely moment between the two of them. Looking up to the warlock, Rylee felt her heart flutter as the candlelight illuminated his features. She was happy. Perfectly happy in every way.

Things just felt perfectly right in every way.

But then her vision left her. The world darkened, becoming black as night. The only thing Rylee could feel was her heart racing, pounding out of her chest as her vision returned to her. The sight before her brought a deep pit of fear to her stomach.

Merlin stood in front of herself and Arthur, holding a chalice in his hand. Guards all around them with their weapons drawn. Bayard stared down Merlin with anger, one Uther had matched. Watching him carefully, not fully understanding what was going on, Rylee could feel herself shaking in fear. Like something terrible was about to happen. She tilted her head, eyebrows furrowing in confusion.

Merlin stood tall, taking in a deep breath. He looked back to the King in blue behind him. When he turned back to face the side that Camelot had clearly made for itself, he said, "It's fine."

Rylee felt her breathing steady slightly as everyone turned away as Uther gave his guest control over Merlin's fate. That moment of peace was swiftly gone as Merlin brought his hand up to his mouth. He grunted in pain as discomfort and panic overtook his face.

"Merlin?" Rylee asked, taking a small step towards him. The young sorcerer began to cough, his airway completely blocked. Panic quickly spread throughout her entire body, encasing her mind, heart and soul in a vicious chokehold as the thought raced through her head.

Merlin had been poisoned.

The young warlock collapsed onto the ground, Rylee crying after him as she fell to her knees. She tilted his head to the side, begging for him.

This couldn't be happening. It couldn't. She couldn't lose him.

But then her vision faded to black as she cried his name, trying in vain to stop the darkness from overtaking her vision.

Within the black void, she could hear her name being called. It was so familiar, so close and yet somehow, it was too far away to reach. And just when she thought she would never reach the soothing frantic voice that called her name, suddenly, there she was.

Back in her room.

Panting with tears streaming down her face, she looked up to see Gaius standing at the foot of her bed, asking her if she was alright.

But feeling the hands on her shoulders brought her eyes to meet Merlin's. She sobbed in relief as she saw the light in those blue eyes. Knowing she had seen them go out. She grabbed onto the sorcerer, holding him tight as she cried into his shoulder. She wasn't going to let him go and he wouldn't leave her. Under her breath she began thanking the Gods that it was only a dream.

Merlin held her close, putting a hand on the back of her head as he looked to Gaius, sharing a concerned look with the physician. The sorcerer could count on one hand how many times he had seen her so broken. And everytime, it shook him to his core. He looked down to her, wrapping his other arm around her to hold her close, burying his face into her hair as she cried.

Thankfully it was only a nightmare.

But, oh, how little they knew as Nimueh let a drop of blood from her finger fall into her well. Incanting in the ancient language, she ran her hand through the water, a flower and a chalice by her side. As she continued on with a  wicked look in her eye, Nimueh grabbed the flower, ripping a petal from the flower and dripping it into the water. Her voice grew louder the more she chanted and when she finished, Nimueh stopped swirling her hand in the water, revealing Merlin hard at work polishing Arthur's armor. Rylee sitting beside him, poking his cheek while seemingly mocking their employer at the same time. Nimueh saw as Merlin turned to her with an unamused face, but his smile said otherwise.

Grabbing the chalice, Nimueh reached into the water and pulled out the petal, which had become translucent in its time under the water. Placing the petal carefully inside the cup, ensuring it would stay, Nimueh raised the chalice, staring at it with a wicked smirk playing on her red lips.

"Merlin."

─•~❉᯽❉~•─

It was in times like these that the sight of hundreds of people donning the blue armor with the symbol of the kingdom of Mercia would be seen as an attack. Another battle in the long, terrible war between the two nations.

But not on that day. That day was different.

It was only natural that, when the Lord of Mercia and his knights entered upon the throne room, meeting the sight of Uther and his men striding towards them, there was tension and fear in the air. With the two kings standing face to face, Uther greeted his guests. "Camelot welcomes you, the Lord Bayard of Mercia. The treaty we sign today marks an end to war and a beginning to a new friendship between our people."

But what went unnoticed by everyone within the hall was that Nimueh had managed to enchant her way into the ranks of Bayard's court. The sorceress watched the interactions between the kings with very little interest as her eyes wandered over to where Camelot's resident sorcerers stood.

Merlin stood tall with his arms folded behind his back, watching the dealings between the kings very intently while his more rule-breaking counterpart stood with her arms crossed, a sour look - though it could be argued that her resting face was just sour in general - draped across her face. Rylee leaned over slightly to whisper something to Merlin. What it was Nimueh could not tell but she knew that he found it funny as he stifled a laugh.

Uther held his hand out to Bayard, to which the Lord in blue took it immediately. Both Kings had a harsh, cold glare in their eyes upon shaking the other's hand. But their feelings did not matter on the subject as the room erupted in applause.

But things would not go as easily as everyone thought. Not as Nimueh continued to watch the two sorcerers across from her silently talk among themselves through the applause and as the corners of her lips turned up to form a wicked smirk, she could only wait for her plan to begin.

─•~❉᯽❉~•─

𝘋𝘦𝘴𝘵𝘪𝘯𝘺'𝘴 𝘈𝘸𝘢𝘬𝘦𝘯𝘪𝘯𝘨
𝘊𝘩𝘢𝘱𝘵𝘦𝘳 𝘚𝘪𝘹
𝘛𝘩𝘦 𝘗𝘰𝘪𝘴𝘰𝘯𝘦𝘥 𝘊𝘩𝘢𝘭𝘪𝘤𝘦

─•~❉᯽❉~•─

Camelot was abuzz with preparations for the celebrations that were to take place after the peace treaty would be signed. It was to be a celebration of the ages. Finally a time of peace between the two nations. Servants filled the halls, most of which were preparing the banquet hall for the party later that evening. Many were carrying food to be prepared in the kitchen, some carrying the clothes of their masters. It was all a mix of red and blue as the servant of Camelot and the servants of Mercia set out to ensure the celebration was perfect.

For all their sakes.

But there was one servant who was not enjoying the hubbub of the preparations.. Merlin shuffled through the halls with a load of Arthur's clothes in a bag. He still had so much to do before the banquet. Mentally, he cursed the Prince. 

Rylee, meanwhile, was walking through the halls on the opposite side, her physician's bag draped across her shoulders as she doddled through the halls of the Citadel, putting off whatever useless order Gaius had given her as a means to keep her occupied and out of his hair on this stressful day. When she caught sight of the sorcerer, she stopped, letting him trudge up to her with his bag. "Why do I always get landed with the donkey work?" He groaned.

Rylee chuckled, patting his shoulder as he walked past her. "Oh, my poor baby." She replied in a mocking tone. "You're a servant, Merlin. It's what you do!"

Merlin scoffed, dropping the bag as he stopped. "My arms'll be a foot longer by the time I get this lot inside."

Rylee shook her head with a laugh. She started to walk backwards away from the sorcerer with her arms out beside her. "That sounds like less of a 'me' problem and more of a 'you' problem."

Merlin's face crinkled as he shook his head, chuckling through his teeth.

Rylee laughed silently, her smile growing wide. But then, she stopped suddenly when a maid tripped next to her. She looked down in panic. "Oh my Gods, I'm so sorry." She dropped down to her knees. "Was that my fault?"

"No, no." The maid said as Merlin came over to help gather her things. "I'm just clumsy, that's all. "

"Here let us give you a hand with that." Merlin said as he gathered some of her things. The two sorcerers handed her things to her and Rylee could tell Merlin was enticed by her beauty - and to be fair to the young warlock, she was too.

Merlin held his hand out to her. "I'm Merlin." He glanced at the girl to his right. "And this is Rylee."

Rylee offered the woman a small wave. "Hi."

There was something intimidating about her. Something Rylee could not place. It was this lingering feeling in the back of her mind. The one she was taught from a very young age to never ignore.

"Kara." The maid shook Merlin's hand before offering it to Rylee, who took it meekly. "You're the Physician's apprentice. That's very impressive." Rylee nodded with a shrug and a smile. Then Kara looked back to Merlin. "And you're Arthur's servant. That must be such an honor."

"Uh," Merlin stammered, rising back up to his feet, "yeah, it is. Well, someone's got to keep this place running."

Rylee let out a small snort as she side-glanced Merlin. The sorcerer lightly kicked the apprentice's ankle at this.

Kara offered the both of them a smile. "Thank you, Merlin and thank you, Rylee. It was nice meeting you."

As Kara walked away, both Rylee and Merlin watched her go before Rylee burst out laughing. "Baha hahaha!" She wiped a tear from her eye, "Oh my gods! 'Well, someone's got to keep this place running'." She held her finger under her nose. "That was the most pathetic I've ever seen!"

Merlin looked down at her with a sharp glare - a playful but sharp nonetheless.

Rylee calmed her breathing. "I swear, Merlin, it's like one second, you're perfectly capable of performing as a normal human being but then a pretty girl comes along and that brain of yours," she tapped his head, "goes down the drain."

Merlin scoffed. "It does not."

Rylee looked up at him with a smirk and inquisitive eyes. "Then what was that?" When Merlin didn't answer, Rylee patted his shoulder with a laugh, she walked away from him.

"You know, my brain is fine when you're around and you're a girl." He turned to face the girl walking away from him. Rylee turned around, holding her arms out to her side. "Oh, there's the flaw in your argument, my fine lad. I'd have to be a pretty girl for your brain to stop working there, babes." She laughed and turned around so Merlin could not see the hurt look in her eyes.

It saved her in a way too as she missed the even more hurt look in Merlin's eyes as he watched her walk away. He stared at her until she disappeared around the corner, wondering just how she could think that way.

He thought he was decent looking in his own mind, nothing to gawk at, but her? Why Merlin thought she was the most beautiful girl in the world. Both inside and out. How could she not see that?

Huffing with the shake of his head, Merlin lifted the bag off the floor, trying not to dwell on the fact that the love of his life thought that badly about herself. Because who was he to tell her wrong?

He wasn't hers.

Despite how desperately he wanted to be.

─•~❉᯽❉~•─

Nimueh was silent as she hid behind a corner, waiting for a guard to turn around the corner. When she saw the coast was clear, she moved. 

Carrying her most vital item under a blanket, Nimueh watched the halls carefully as she came to the door of King Bayard's room. She tried the handle but found it was locked. Taking a quick look around, Nimueh focused in on the handle and incanted a spell. The door unlocked and swung open as she moved her hand in front of it. She entered the room with caution, closing the door behind her.

Everything was falling into place, bringing her already booming confidence to an all-time high as she strode over to a chest with the tower crest of Mercia on it. Opening the box, Nimueh found the ceremonial goblets Bayard planned to give to Uther and his son as a gift of peace. Taking out the goblet meant for Arthur, Nimueh uncovered her secret weapon and placed her poisoned one in its place. She closed up the box with a smirk.

It was only a matter of time.

All she had to do now was wait for her plan to unfurl.

─•~❉᯽❉~•─

Slamming Arthur's ceremonial clothes onto the table, Merlin took a long sigh, rubbing his hand upon his face. He, quite frankly, had already had quite enough of this 'peace-treaty ceremony' business.

He was also quite done with how bad Arthur's ceremonial clothes were smelling. It made the young warlock question just how much the Prince actually bathed.

Merlin stepped back, putting his arm over his nose. "When's the last time these were cleaned?"

"Last year sometime," Arthur replied, standing behind Merlin, "before the Feast of Beltane."

Merlin shook the clothes out, finding traces of old food in them. He held the shirt up for Arthur to see. "Did it end in a food fight?"

"Did what end in a food fight?" Rylee's voice brought the boys' attention to the door. The young sorceress was leaning against the doorframe with her arms crossed.

"The Feast of Beltane." Arthur replied as Merlin put the coat on him.

Rylee smirked and nodded, "Oh, I remember that one." She let herself fall, catching herself quickly and jogging into the room. "Leon was absolutely plastered after that." She pointed to the Prince, "As were you." She leaned against the table. "I distinctly remember having to take him and you home because you were both far too stupid to remember how to get back." She pointed to the prince with her arms crossed. "Despite the fact that the feast was being held only four corridors away."

Arthur scrunched his face in confusion. "I don't remember that at all."

Rylee looked to Merlin, motioning to the Prince. "See what I mean?"

Arthur looked up for a moment. Reminiscing on the good feasts he had attended to in his lifetime. "Ah, but isn't it not a good feast unless it ends in a food fight?"

Merlin shrugged. "I wouldn't know. The airs and graces of the court are a mystery to me."

Arthur adjusted his sleeve as Merlin finished putting on his coat. "Tonight they won't be."

Merlin stopped, frozen in his place as his eyes widened. He looked over at Rylee, who shrugged, motioning her head to Arthur. Merlin looked back to the Prince. "I'm going to be at the banquet?" Merlin asked almost giddily.

It made Rylee smile. His eagerness and almost childlike wonder over going to the banquet. It also brought the fluttering of butterflies to her stomach. One that she knew she had to push down.

Arthur turned to face Merlin briefly before removing his ceremonial jacket. "Not quite." He replied. "You'll be there to make sure my cup doesn't run dry. If I have to sit through Bayard's boring speeches, I don't see why you should get out of it."

Rylee stifled her laugh. "Oh, you have fun with that."

Merlin shot her a look of confusion. "You're not going?"

Shrugging, the young sorceress leaned back against the palms of her hands. "I have no reason to be there. Gaius said that if I don't wish to go then I don't have to. I can stay behind and do some inventory."

Catching Merlin staring at her in surprise, Rylee simply just shrugged her shoulders. "Feasts aren't particularly my favorite thing. I'm, uh, not too fond of the 'airs and graces of the court'."

"Actually," Arthur interjected, causing Rylee's gaze to lazily fall onto him, "you are going." After catching the alarmed confused look from Rylee, Arthur said, "Well, I would expect that my personal physician would be in attendance in case anything were to happen to me."

"You know I only offered to be your personal physician for the tournament, right?" Rylee moved her head slightly as she spoke. "I never actually did sign on for a full time gig."

Arthur handed his coat over to Merlin rather roughly and patted Rylee on the shoulder. "Well you have one now." He turned back to Merlin, "Be sure to polish the buttons."

Arthur went behind his change wall, giving Rylee the chance to send an exasperated look to Merlin, who chuckled as she fell back onto the table with a loud groan of annoyance.

Her way of saying, 'stupid Prince for ruining a good night alone'. Walking over to her, Merlin lightly patted her head in comfort.

"Do you want to see what you'll be wearing tonight?"

Arthur's voice caught them abruptly and Merlin turned to face the Prince, even though he couldn't see him. "Won't this do?"

Arthur leaned back from behind the wall, scanning Merlin up and down. Arthur's lips became a fine line and he shook his head. "No." He replied. "Tonight you'll be wearing the official ceremonial robes of the servants of Camelot." He looked down to the girl on the table. "I would say you have to as wel-"

"Bite me, Pendragon."

Nodding to himself, Arthur rolled his eyes. "That's what I thought." The Prince went back behind the wall. A smile graced Merlin's lips - he felt important. He looked down to Rylee, who sat up to watch what was about to unfurl.

Arthur came back out and Rylee had to bite her hand to stop herself from laughing. Merlin's face dropped at the sight of what he had to wear.

Arthur smirked mischievously at his manservant.

Merlin tilted his head, an expression that could be described as dread falling upon his face. "You can't be serious."

Arthur's smile just widened. The Prince turned his attention to the physician, who had fallen back upon the table, her hands covering a good portion of her face to hide the fact that she was laughing. "You're such an ass, Arthur." Her voice was muffled by her hands.

Merlin just looked between the two of them with an exasperated look on his face. This was not going to be a good night for him.

─•~❉᯽❉~•─

The moment had arrived. Finally, after all this time, the peace treaty between Camelot and Mercia was to be signed. The banquet hall was packed with knights and nobles from both kingdoms, separated on both sides. All eyes were on the Kings as they took to the center of the room, where, upon a large podium, rested the very fate of the kingdoms.

Lord Bayard was the first to sign the peace treaty. The hall was completely silent as the King dressed in blue carefully signed his name upon the scroll that would change the course of the future of the two kingdoms forever.

Merlin stood awkwardly near the King's throne, away from where the peace treaty was being signed. The outfit Arthur had dressed him in was outrageous. The actual red Camelot servant garb was underneath what was the most preposterous outfit ever. The cloak was fine, a little elaborate but alright for the occasion, but the hat was hilarious to look at. Bright red feathers along with black feathers poked out of the green and gold plaid band on top of the warlock's head.

Gwen and Rylee stood beside the warlock, dressed as normal. Gwen in her signature yellow dress that complimented her beauty perfectly, while Rylee was still in her yellowish tunic and brown trousers, with the brown overcoat to match. No one could make her dress up for anything.

Rylee had to keep her eyes forward, the ridiculousness of Merlin's garb too much for her immaturity to handle.

Enclosing the young sorceress between herself and the warlock, Gwen leaned forward to look at Merlin with a very pitiful smile. When Merlin turned his head to meet her gaze, Gwen scoffed back a laugh. It took her a moment to compose herself, and she turned to him with a smile. "Nice hat." She jested.

"Thanks." Merlin grumbled.

And as Uther leaned down to sign the peace accord, Arthur turned back to look, that damned playful, mischievous smirk appearing back on his lips.

Merlin shook his head at the Prince.

Rylee took a deep breath, composing herself. She looked between Merlin and Gwen, her own mischievous smirk growing as she subtly lifted a certain finger towards the Prince.

Gwen smacked her best friend's hand quickly, biting the inside of her lip to stop herself from laughing. "Stop it! Don't do that." She playfully scolded through her teeth.

Rylee took a breath that teetered on the edge of a laugh. "Couldn't help it. He deserves it."

Meanwhile, from across the hall, Nimueh's vengeful eyes drifted away from the two Kings towards the sorcerers. But Merlin didn't see them as vengeful as he removed the hat upon his head, messing with his hair to make himself look slightly more presentable as the pretty girl looked his way.

"She's pretty," Gwen remarked, "isn't she?" But when she saw Rylee's eyes cast down to the ground as a sad smile was the only thing that seemed cheery about her face took over, she added in support, "For a handmaiden, I mean."

"She's pretty for a Princess, let alone a handmaiden." Merlin replied casually.

Rylee glanced up to Merlin with that same smile, "Yeah." She replied, her tone not carrying the same joy it normally did. It made Merlin look down to her in concern, but her eyes carried over back to the Kings as Uther finished signing the accord. The young sorcerer frowned at the look upon her face, not quite understanding what had darkened her mood.

Rylee felt the conflicting pressuring feelings of both anxiety and joy throughout the room. It was nice that, despite the lingering anxiety, the fear of one false mistake, that the outcome of all of this would be for the benefit of everyone. Finally, after so long, a time of peace would take Camelot into its grasp.

She looked up towards Merlin, smiling up at him and, because of the sight of his ensemble, she scoffed trying hard not to laugh at him. But she broke, laughing at Merlin's outfit. She lightly pushed the sorcerer's shoulder. "I dunno Merlin," She laughed, "I think it's a good look for you."

The young man rolled his eyes at the girl. "You wouldn't be saying that if you had to wear this."

Rylee hummed. "Probably not." But then her eyes lit up. "But then again, I would probably just make you wear it instead."

Merlin fought back laughter before breaking and they laughed together. It was a lovely moment between the two of them. Looking up to the warlock, Rylee felt her heart flutter as the candlelight illuminated his features. She was happy. Things just felt perfectly right in every way.

But there was this strange sense of Deja Vu that hit her like a freight train. She just couldn't place it.

The applause in the room died down as Uther made his way to his throne and Bayard began to speak.

"People of Camelot, for a great many years we have been mortal enemies. The blood of our men stains the ground," Lord Bayard walked through the gap between the two tables that housed the knights of each side of the treaty, "from the walls of Camelot to the gates of Mericia. And though we remember those who have died," As Bayard raised his hand, a servant brought out the small box he had brought as a gift for the King. The same box Nimueh had tampered with, "we mustn't allow any more to join them."

Nimueh watched the box as it was brought out, her eyes growing darker with the malicious thought of what was to come.

"As a symbol of our good will and of our new found friendship," The servant walked up to Lord Bayard, who turned to her, "I present these ceremonial goblets."

As this was happening, Nimueh made her way across the banquet hall.

Bayard held up a mighty goblet fit for a king. "To you, Uther," and then he grabbed a smaller one, made for a Prince, "and your son, Arthur, in the hope that our friendship may last."

Rylee watched this happen with skeptical eyes. There was just this nagging feeling that she couldn't quite get rid of, something that kept her mind from relaxing in this time of new coming peace. But what was it?

"Merlin."

Nimueh's voice made Merlin and Rylee's heads turn towards the sorceress in hiding. But her focus was one Merlin as she started to play the role of the panicked girl. "I need to speak to you."

"What is it?" Merlin asked in concern.

"What's wrong?" Rylee asked. But she was quick to notice, as did Merlin, that "Kara" paid her no mind. She didn't even acknowledge that she was standing there. The handmaid's eyes were trained solely on Merlin.

"Not here." Nimueh threw panicked looks around to ensure her role was played well. "Please. I don't know who else to tell."

Merlin looked from Nimueh to Rylee, who eyed the woman skeptically. But when Rylee looked back to Merlin, she nodded her head. "Go. I'll wait here." But then she grabbed Merlin's arm, narrowing her eyes at the warlock. "Call me if you need anything."

Feeling relieved to have her on his side and at his beckon call, Merlin nodded to her, following Nimueh out of the banquet. Rylee watched them go, narrowing her eyes at the "servant" girl, untrusting of what her feelings were.

There was something about Kara. Something Rylee could not trust. It tugged at the back of her head, screaming at her to keep her away from Merlin. Keep her away from Camelot. Why the hell didn't she acknowledge her? It was like she wasn't even there. And why was she so focused on Merlin?

Rylee shook her head, trying to not let it worry her. Merlin was old enough to take care of himself. Besides, he wasn't hers.

Even if she wanted him to be.

But that feeling would just not go away. She just couldn't understand why or what it was. And that bothered her immensely.

As Bayard continued on with his speech, Rylee looked across the hall to see Gaius, who had seen Merlin leave with "Kara". He shot her a look that asked her what was going on, but all he got in response was a shrug of the shoulders and a shake of her head.

Nimueh had led Merlin off to an adjacent hallway, enclosed and private. So isolated that the lights that illuminated were just that of the moon. She looked around cautiously, playing the role of the frightened handmaiden to the best of her abilities before turning to Merlin, "It wasn't until I saw him give the goblet to Arthur that I realized..." She started to ramble, "panicked".

"Woah, slow down." Merlin urged her. "Start from the beginning."

"Two days ago, I was bringing Bayard his evening meal, we're supposed to knock, he didn't expect me to walk in..."

Merlin tilted his head, noting that this girl seemed to drag out her story. "So? What are you trying to say?"

"If he knows I said anything he will kill me."

Merlin looked at her with the sincerest of eyes. "I will not let that happen to you, I promise. Please tell me what you saw."

Nimueh shook her head, playing innocence. "Bayard is no friend of Camelot. He craves the kingdom for himself."

"Kara..." Merlin stopped, whipping around to watch as a servant stomped by. The young sorceress took a moment, waiting for the shadow of the servant to disappear before turning back to her. "Tell me, what has Bayard done with the goblet?"

"He believes that if he kills Arthur, Uther's spirit will be broken and Camelot will fall."

Merlin needed to stop her rambling. She was wasting precious time the more she withheld the truth. "What has he done with the goblet?" He asked her in a stern, straightforward tone that somehow regained the gentleness he spoke with everyday.

"I saw him put something in it."

"What?"

Nimueh stammered, looking around like a doe in headlights. Frightened and confused. "I shouldn't, he'll kill me."

Merlin shook his head. "Please, tell me." It was a command, not a statement.

Nimueh said nothing, putting on these puppy dog eyes to mimic fear.

"Was it poison?"

With that one word, Nimueh nodded. Merlin wasted no time rushing back into the banquet hall. And as he ran, Nimueh's innocent act fell apart as her lips curled into a smirk.

─•~❉᯽❉~•─

"And may the differences from our past remain there." Bayard lifted his goblet towards the King and his son. "To your health, Uther," He raised it to the King and then to Arthur and the entire room joined him by rising to their feets, "Arthur,"

Arthur raised his cup to his mouth, ready to drink, when he stopped upon hearing Bayard say, "the Lady Morgana,"

Morgana raised her glass to him with a nod. Rylee turned her head with a smile, catching Morgana's eye. The Ward was dressed exquisitely, as usual. The blue and purple dress complimented her, as did the simple headpiece she wore. She nodded to the Ward, mouthing, "You look amazing."

Morgana smiled brightly back, mouthing in reply, "Thank you."

As Rylee looked away, she couldn't help but elbow Gwen as a 'good job'. Gwen did know how to pick a dress.

Bayard, with his chalice in the air, turned to face everyone in the room, spinning to meet their eyes, "the people of Camelot."

Arthur, once again, assuming Bayard was done, raised his goblet to drink.

"And to fallen warriors on both sides."

It was his father that had stopped him this time. Uther raised his glass to Bayard, who returned it in kind. And as Arthur raised his glass to drink, Merlin raced into the room, screaming, "Stop! It's poisoned! Don't drink it!"

The entire room whipped around to find the young warlock racing in. Rylee watched as Merlin grabbed the cup from Arthur's hand, taking long strides to take his side.

"What?" Uther asked, staring down the servant.

"Merlin," Arthur demanded, "what are you doing?"

Rylee touched Merlin's arm, bringing his eyes to her. "Merlin , what's going on?"

With eyes that begged her to trust him, Merlin turned to face Bayard, who looked appalled at the boy. "Bayard laced Arthur's goblet with poison."

"This is an outrage!" Bayard drew his sword, which led to the entire room drawing their weapons. The whole room became encased in tension. So much so, even Morgana drew a large knife to protect herself. With an angered look, Rylee threw herself in between the King and Merlin, her arms stretched wide to prevent him from striking if he chose to do so.

"Order your men to put down their swords, you're outnumbered." Uther commanded. All of Uther's guards and Knights encircled Bayard, but the King kept his blade towards the two sorcerers.

"I will not allow this insult to go unchallenged."

As Uther spoke to him, Merlin turned to face the king. "On what grounds do you base this accusation?"

"I'll handle this." Arthur stepped away from the table, walking towards Merlin. "Merlin, you idiot, have you been at the sloe gin again?"

Rylee turned to face the Prince with an angered look. "He wouldn't make an accusation like this without reason, Arthur. Hear him out."

Arthur grabbed Merlin and Rylee, bringing them towards the table.

"Unless you want to be strung up you'll tell me why you think it's poisoned." Uther's voice was low and commanding. "Now."

"He was seen lacing it." Merlin said.

"But whom?"

Merlin swallowed, remembering his promise as Nimueh watched with an evil glint in her eyes. "I can't say."

"I won't listen to this anymore." Bayard stated.

Uther stood tall, ordering Merlin to pass him the goblet. Arthur took the goblet from Merlin, handing it to his father as Uther stood in between Bayard and the boy he was very eager to kill.

"If you're telling the truth..."

"I am." Bayard said, holding his blade slightly higher towards the king.

"Then you have nothing to fear do you?"

Bayard looked down for a moment before sheathing his sword. He reached forward to the king, motioning for him to give him the goblet.

"No." Uther shook his head. "If it does proved to be poisoned, I want the pleasure of killing you myself."

Upon saying that, Uther turned back to Merlin, holding out the goblet for him to take. "He'll drink it."

Panic flooded her veins like ice as Rylee looked up to Merlin. Her breathing labored as she whispered, "No."

"But if it is poisoned, he'll die." Arthur argued.

"Then we'll know he was telling the truth." Uther replied coldly.

Timidly, Merlin took the chalice from the King.

"And what if he lives?" Bayard asked.

"Then you'll have my apologies and you can do with him as you will."

Merlin looked down at the goblet as Gaius snapped, "Uther, please, he's just a boy. He doesn't know what he's saying."

Uther turned to Gaius, staring down the physician. "Then you should have schooled him better."

"Merlin, apologize!" Arthur demanded as Uther returned to his throne. "This is a mistake. I'll drink it."

As Arthur tried to take the chalice from Merlin, the warlock held out of arm's reach from the Prince. "No, no, no, no, it's all right."

"No, it's not." Rylee argued.

Merlin casted his eyes down to her with softness and love. "Yes, it is." He replied softly. The young warlock turned his attention to Bayard, who crossed his arms in judgment. Merlin held the chalice out for Bayard to see, nodding slightly, before turning back to the King.

With Merlin standing in front of herself and Arthur, holding a chalice in his hand, Rylee could do nothing to sway his mind.  Watching him carefully, Rylee could feel herself shaking in fear. She tilted her head, eyebrows furrowing in dread and anger.

The whole room encompassed in a state of dread, eager to see the end result of Merlin's accusations towards Bayard.

Merlin stood tall, taking in a deep breath. He looked back to the King in blue behind him. When he turned back to face the side that Camelot had clearly made for itself, he said, "It's fine."

Rylee felt her breathing steady slightly as everyone turned away as Uther gave his guest control over Merlin's fate. That moment of peace was swiftly gone as Merlin brought his hand up to his mouth and he grunted in pain.

"Merlin?" Rylee asked, taking a small step towards him. The young sorcerer began to cough, his airway completely blocked. Panic quickly spread throughout her entire body, encasing her mind, heart and soul in a vicious chokehold as the thought raced through her head.

Merlin had been poisoned. The chalice was poisoned.

The young warlock collapsed onto the ground, fading into unconsciousness. With a cry of anguish, "Merlin!" Rylee collapsed to her knees, taking Merlin's head into her lap and turning it to the side. She begged, "No, Merlin, please! Oh, Gods, no!"

"It's poisoned!" Uther cried. "Guards, seize them!"

Arthur collapsed down to the ground, taking Rylee's side as she tried to keep Merlin from falling to any further harm.

"Help me tilt his head. Here, hold it like this." Rylee guided Arthur's hands to hold Merlin's head to the side. "We need to make sure he doesn't choke on his tongue."

Arthur, despite the distressed situation, was thoroughly impressed with her. Just looking at her, her fear and distress were evident, her tone broken, the type of tone that, were she to scream, would tear the castle apart brick by brick with how it shook the world, but she kept herself composed. So, Arthur held Merlin's head to the side as Rylee called out from him, hoping for an answer. Begging for him to answer, open his eyes and be back to normal.

Gaius came rushing over, dropping down to join the others at Merlin's side. "Merlin. Can you hear me?"

Rylee leaned down, pressing her ear against his nose. "It's no use." She sat back up, looking at her master. "His breathing is shallow."

"We have to get him back to my chambers." Gaius said. Rylee and Arthur shared a look, nodding to one another before Arthur swung Merlin's body over his shoulder.

"Gwen, grab the goblet," Rylee ordered, pointing to the cup that laid on the ground beside the handmaiden, "we need it to identify the poison." 

Without hesitation, as Rylee followed closely behind Arthur and Gaius, Gwen grabbed the goblet and raced from the room.

─•~❉᯽❉~•─

"Lay him on the bed. Now." Rylee ordered as she entered Gaius' chambers. Arthur led the way, dropping Merlin onto Gaius' bed. "He can't breathe."

"Gwen," Gaius called back to the handmaiden, who stopped in her tracks, "fetch me some water and a towel."

"Is he gonna be alright?" Arthur asked, removing Merlin's arm from his shoulder, placing him fully on the bed.

Rylee placed the inside of her wrist upon Merlin's forehead, "He's burning up."

Stripping the servant's robe off of him to cool him off, Rylee surveyed what the effects of the poison were doing to him. Merlin had broken into a fever, his body covered in an uncontrollable sweat as he groaned in pain.

Gwen came running towards them with a bucket and a towel. "You can cure him, can't you, Gaius?"

"I won't know until I can identify the poison." Gaius replied as Rylee took the dampened cloth from Gwen, placing it upon Merlin's forehead. "Pass me the goblet."

Handing the goblet to the physician, Gwen took a seat down beside Rylee, placing a gentle hand upon the struggling sorceress' shoulder to ease her mind.

Gaius held the goblet up, rising from his seat. He examined it thoroughly, looking at the interior cup of the chalice.  "Ah, there's something stuck on the inside."

Arthur snapped his head up, "What is it?" He asked, rising to meet with the physician.

"It looks like a flower petal of some kind." Gaius, using a pair of tweezers, pulled the petal from the cup, examining closely.

"His brow's on fire." Gwen said, taking Rylee's old spot as the sorceress took the Prince's spot.

"Keep him cool, Gwen." Rylee said, taking Merlin's hand into her own. "It will control his fever."

As Arthur picked up the goblet, looking over what would have put him in Merlin's position, Gaius headed for his books. Pulling the biggest of the lot, he slammed it onto the table. Flipping through the pages with the petal in one hand, Gaius eventually came to the right page. Looking at the petal compared to the picture, Gaius gasped, "The petal comes from the Mortaeus Flower."

Arthur joined Gaius' side, looking at the page eagerly for answers.

"It says here that someone poisoned by the Mortaeus can only be saved by a potion made from the leaf of the very same flower." Rylee looked up to her master as he looked between her and Arthur. "It can only be found in the caves deep beneath the forest of Baloch. The flower grows on the roots of the Mortaeus tree."

Upon the new page Gaius had flipped to, Arthur pointed towards a photo of a beast. A rather ugly and fearsome creature. "That doesn't look particularly friendly."

"A Cockatrice." The mention of the beast brought Rylee up from her seat. She walked over, elearning on the table with one hand to look at the image.

"Yeah," She said, "you don't want to tangle with one of those."

"It guards the forest and its venom is potent."

"Not to mention the paralyzing gaze." Rylee pointed out. That made Arthur look at her with some fear in his eyes.

"Paralyzing gaze?"

Rylee ran a hand through her hair, looking back quickly as Merlin groaned in pain. She walked back over to the warlock, explaining as she sat down and took his hand again. "Legend says the Cockatrice has the ability to freeze their prey with an ability within their eyes. It's either freezing them permanently or killing them. No one has been able to distinguish the two."

Arthur shot her an unamused look before turning back to listen to Gaius. "A single drop of their venom would also mean certain death as well. Few who have crossed the mountains of Isgard in search of the Mortaeus Flower have made it back alive."

Arthur looked over, locking eyes with a worried Gwen. Rylee fell into his sights, seeing her so broken as she held Merlin's hand tightly, leaning her forehead against the top of the warlock's head as she tried so hard not to break down into tears. The Prince began to pace back and forth, debating on a plan. Stopping, he took one look at Merlin. This would be the second time that Merlin has sacrificed his own well being for him. He was starting to hate it. There were few good men in the world they lived in and, while he would never openly admit it, Merlin was one of those good men. His eyes swept over the room and as he tore his hand away from his face, he knew what he had to do.

"Sounds like fun."

"Arthur," Rylee lifted her head, "it's too dangerous for you." She rose to her feet, keeping Merlin's hand tightly in her own. "I'll go."

Arthur whipped around. "No." He ordered, pointing at the sorceress and then to Merlin. "He needs you here." He then turned back to Gaius. "If I don't get the antidote, what happens to Merlin?"

Gaius looked away from the Prince for a moment, not too eager to answer his question. "The Mortaeus induces a slow and painful death."

Blood running ice cold, Rylee collapsed onto the chair below her, enclosing Merlin's hand with her other one, bringing it up to her face.

"He may hold out for four, maybe five days but not for much longer. Eventually," The old physician looked between the other three with a sour, upset look in his eyes, "he will die."

Looking back down to Merlin, Arthur glanced briefly at Rylee, whose pleading eyes begged him to go. Any resistance she had to him going out there went out the window with the threat against Merlin's life. "Please, Arthur." She begged, "He saved your life."

Without another word, Arthur stormed out of the room, determined to retrieve the plant.

─•~❉᯽❉~•─

Nimueh had felt nothing but victory flowing through her as she walked through the halls of the Citadel. Nothing was to stop her now.

With Merlin soon to be dead, Rylee would soon become nothing more than a husk of who she was. Never to become a threat to Nimueh again. Their destiny assured her that much. She knew that they would never reach the antidote in time. Her victory would go unchallenged.

Riding out of the Citadel astride a white horse, Nimueh wasted no time in fleeing the mess she had created.

Leaving everyone else to deal with the panic.  Especially Guinevere.

Gwen entered Morgana's chambers in a hurry, finding the Ward of Camelot removing her headdress and letting her hair fall loose.

"My Lady, I am so sorry," Gwen apologized, "I haven't been here to attend to you."

But Morgana had no worries. "Don't worry. Don't worry. I'm all right." Her expression fell upon thinking about what had happened. "How's Merlin?"

"If Arthur comes back with the antidote in time, he'll be fine."

"Then he'll be fine." Morgana assured her. She looked off to the door for a moment before looking up to Gwen. She saw how the young handmaiden shifted anxiously, watching the door as if waiting to hear dire news. But she also knew Gwen well enough to know that her mind wasn't just on Merlin. "How's Rylee?" She asked in a gentle voice, almost afraid she knew the answer before even asking the question.

Gwen shook her head. "Not good. She's acting brave but..."

Morgana sighed. "She's hiding the fact that she's terrified, isn't she?"

When Gwen nodded to her Lady, Morgana took Gwen's hands. "You should be with them. I'll manage. I know just how much they mean to you." Morgana motioned towards the door with her head. "Go."

With a small curtsy, Gwen thanked Morgana, taking off out the door. 

Morgana watched her go, worry overtaking her green eyes. She could only hope they'd find a solution to save Merlin.

And soon.

─•~❉᯽❉~•─

"What's the point of having people to taste for you if you're going to get yourself killed anyway."

Arthur followed his father through the halls of the citadel, pointlessly trying to get his father's permission to go.

"I won't fail," Arthur argued, "no matter what you think."

"Arthur," Uther silenced his son, "you are my only son and heir. I can't risk losing you for the sake of some serving boy."

"Because his life's worthless?" Arthur was appalled by his father. It truly wasn't something Arthur could understand about his father. His lack of empathy towards those who he deemed less than him.

"No." Uther stopped, turning to face his son. "Because it's worth less than yours."

"I can save him." Arthur shot back. His tone was calm, trying to reason with his father. Make him see sense. "Let me take some men."

"No."

"We'll find the antidote and bring it back."

"No!"

"Why not?" Arthur shouted.

"Because one day I will be dead and Camelot will need a King." Arthur just stared at his father, disgust written all over his face. "I'm not gonna let you jeopardize the future of this kingdom over some fool's errand."

"It's not a fool's errand!" Arthur's tone was agitated. "Gaius says that if we can-"

"Gaius says?" Uther shouted over his son. "That's exactly what makes it so."

As Uther turned away from Arthur, the Prince's shoulders dropped. "Please, Father, he saved my life." Uther turned back, refusing to look his son's way. "I can't stand by and watch him die."

"Then don't look."

Arthur's jaw clenched in anger. As his father continued on, Arthur looked away from him, refusing to hear anymore of this nonsense spewing from his father. "This boy won't be the last to die on your behalf. You're going to be King, it's something you'll have to get used to."

"I can't accept that."

"You're not going." Uther commanded.

"You can't stop me."

"Damn it, Arthur!" Uther snapped. "That's an end to it. You're not leaving this castle tonight."

Refusing to see any sense and hear his son out, Uther stormed away, leaving Arthur to his thoughts.

They raced through his head as he made his way to his room. Throwing the doors open, Arthur roughly tossed his sword onto the table. It simply wasn't fair. How could his father just let Merlin die? After what he did for him?

He leaned against the fireplace with his hands on the stone. He stared deeply into the flames. He knew what he had to do, rescuing Merlin was the right thing to do. He couldn't just sit by and let him die. So lost in thought, he almost missed Morgana entering his room.

"Say what you like about the food," Hearing her voice, Arthur turned to face her, "but you can't beat our feasts for entertainment."

"Morgana, I'm sorry," He turned away from her, "I should've made sure you were all right."

"Disappointed actually." Morgana sauntered her way into Arthur's room. "I was looking forward to clumping a couple around the head with a ladle."

"I'm sure the guards could've handled Bayard and his men." Arthur turned himself to face Morgana.

"Yeah," Morgana mused, "but why let the boys have all the fun?"

Arthur shook his head, unamused by her attitude. It was one thing about Morgana that irritated him to no end: her lack of self preservation. The fact that she wanted to fight. It made Arthur ponder, sometimes, if Morgana was hanging around Rylee too much, for it was something that the both of them had frighteningly in common. "Morgana, you shouldn't get involved, it's dangerous."

"Spare me the lecture," Morgana snapped, "I've already had it from Uther."

"If it's any consolation," Arthur replied in a monotone voice, the only way to keep his emotions in check, "you weren't the only one." He turned his back to her, walking towards the window.

"Not that I listened to him" Morgana was always the best at getting Arthur to do what Uther would otherwise disapprove of. And she needed those skills now. For Merlin's sake. "Sometimes, you've got to do what you think is right and damn the consequences."

Arthur thought for a moment, catching onto what Morgana was saying. He turned away from the window, facing her with furrowed eyebrows. "You think I should go?"

"Doesn't matter what I think." Morgana replied.

Arthur shook his head, angry. "If I don't make it back, who'll be the next King of Camelot?" He walked forwards, coming face to face with her. "There's more than just my life at stake."

"And what kind of King will Camelot want?" Morgana asked. She reached down as she spoke, taking Arthur's sword in her hands. "One that would risk his life to save that of a lowly servant," She held the sword, holding the blade in one hand and the hilt in the other to give it to him, "or one that does what his father tells him to?"

And when Morgana raised his sword, she knew that was enough for Arthur.

─•~❉᯽❉~•─

No one could stop him from fleeing the castle on horseback. Astride his horse, Arthur wasted no time in fleeing the palace, knowing that anyone he crossed paths with would try to stop him. And boy did they try. The guards posted at the gates of the citadel stood side by side, commanding the Prince to stop.

But they should have known better. Arthur was one of the most stubborn men in all of Camelot. He did not stop and just before the horse he rode upon smashed into the guards, they jumped out of the way.

Nimueh watched from her well as Arthur escaped from the castle. She knew he was going to try and save Merlin.

It was all according to her plan after all. Why take out one bird when her stone can take out all three of the obstacles in her way?

─•~❉᯽❉~•─

Removing the cloth from Merlin's head, Rylee felt his forehead with her wrist, "Damn it." She said in a low voice. Quickly turning, she looked to Gaius. "Gaius, he's getting hotter."

As she dabbed the cloth on his head, Merlin groaned in pain. But then he did something odd. Within his pained state, Merlin began to chant.

Rylee looked between Gaius and Gwen. "Why is he chanting?"

The older physician simply looked out the dying warlock, shaking his head. "I don't know." Gaius grabbed Merlin's wrist, feeling the once proud beating of Merlin's heart grow slower. "His pulse is weaker."

But then he saw something that caused him alarm. Lifting Merlin's wrist, Gaius lowered his shirt, revealing a large rash upon Merlin's arm. "What?"

Looking warily at the rash, Rylee moved the cloth slightly. "What's wrong?"

"The rash is not supposed to appear until the final stage." Gaius rose from his chair, heading towards his books. Rylee looked to Gwen, her breathing growing more rapid as the intrusive thoughts attacked her brain.

"What does that mean?" Gwen asked, following Gaius. The old physician scoured through his book, using a magnifying glass to read the small print. "It says here that once a rash appears, death will follow within two days."

It was like the wind had been stolen from her lungs. The tears welled in her eyes as Rylee held onto Merlin's hand as tight as she could, leaning down to rest her head upon his chest.

This was too much. She couldn't handle it anymore.

"You said he had four days." Gwen said, fearing growing in her eyes.

"Something's increased the flower's potency." Gaius looked back down to his book, flipping the page to find the answer he sought. "It warns that the effect of the Mortaeus will be more rapid if an enchantment is used during the flower's preparation."

Raising her head slightly, Rylee's eyes grew hard. Her face darkened. "A sorcerer did this?"

"But Bayard's no sorcerer." Gwen pointed out.

"No, he isn't." Gaius looked lost in thought as Gwen pondered on who could have done this. But Rylee knew.

"It was her." She raised herself slowly, staring down the air in front of her, the same darkness in her eyes that any enemy of a Winchester had come to fear as her free hand clenched tightly into a fist. "It was that girl." Her breathing was heavy, her nerves tense.  "Kara."

"But how could it have been a simple handmaiden, Rylee?" Gwen asked, growing worried over the sorceress.

"I don't know." Rylee growled. "But I've had an off feeling about her ever since I met her."

"Unless..." Gaius walked over, grabbing Rylee's arm to force her to face him. He nearly jumped in fright over the darkness that had overtaken her eyes. "That girl that had taken Merlin into the hall, where did she go?"

Rylee looked around, racking her brain. "I don't know. But Gwen better find her before I search for her."

Gaius looked to the handmaiden. Fearfully , Gwen nodded, taking off out the door.

"Who is she, Gaius?" Rylee asked, taking her old seat back. "Her name's not Kara, is it?"

Gaius put a hand upon Rylee's back, trying to ease the anger that grew within his Ward. "I fear she's someone beyond any of our capabilities to handle. Someone who will stop at nothing to destroy Camelot."

"Not if I find her." Rylee 's voice was as frightening as the low rumbling of thunder.

"Not even you could stop her on your own, My Dear Girl." Gaius shook her head. "I fear it would take you and Merlin to defeat her and even then, you would struggle immensely." Sitting back, the old man sighed, "I fear though Gwen will not find her. I fear she's long gone now." 

Holding Merlin's hand up to her lips, Rylee closed her eyes, leaning against his knuckles as Gaius rested his hand upon her back, rubbing comforting circles upon it.

─•~❉᯽❉~•─

Gaius was right. As Gwen raced through the halls, she stormed her way down to the dungeons. Cell after cell, she searched, finding no trace of the beautiful serving girl of King Bayard.

Looking through the barred gates of the cell where the serving girls of King Bayard were kept, Gwen searched each one of their faces. None matched Kara.

Gwen's lips fell into a frustrated fine line as she moved onto the next cell. But she wouldn't find her.

By this time, Nimueh was already safe within her cave.

─•~❉᯽❉~•─

"I expressly ordered Arthur not to go!"

Anyone who knew of Arthur's escape before the King knew that things were not going to go over well for anyone in the King's path once Uther had found out.

And unfortunately for Morgana, she was the person he wanted to speak to.

"I see it worked like a charm, too." Morgana replied.

Uther shook his head, pointing at his Ward in anger. "Not another word."

"My lips are sealed." Morgana sassed.

Turning away from her, Uther scowled. "I should have put him under lock and key."

Morgana scoffed. "You can't chain him up everytime he disagrees with you."

"Just you watch me." Uther's tone was beginning to raise. Like a spoiled child whose favorite toy had been taken. "I will not be disobeyed, especially by my own son!"

"No." Morgana's voice was quiet, but anyone who knew her well enough could tell she was enjoying this. "Of course, you won't." Taking a seat at her table, her books and work in front of her, Morgana set off, writing away as Uther looked at her suspiciously.

Uther stalked towards the table, leaning with his hands supporting him at the edge of the table across from Morgana. "You knew about this, didn't you?"

Morgana ignored him.

"Morgana?" The King leaned forward, narrowing his eyes at his Ward. "Don't lie to me."

Morgana looked up at the King, not denying anything. "Arthur's old enough to make decisions for himself."

"He's just a boy."

"Have you seen your son recently?" She looked away for a moment as Uther glared down at her. "You have to let him make his own mind up."

"Even if it means letting him go to his death?"

Morgana looked up at the King. She had been so wrapped up in convincing Arthur that saving Merlin was the right thing, she had forgotten about the dangers ahead. The dangers she knew nothing about.

But Arthur knew.

─•~❉᯽❉~•─

As he rode along the countryside towards the forest of Baloch, Arthur knew he was doing the right thing.

While he hated to admit it, he owed Merlin.

His servant had saved his life twice now - that he knew of anyway. And while he hated the irritating mess that was Merlin, he knew he couldn't live without him. He had to make fun of someone after all.

And it wasn't just Merlin that he owed. Rylee had a few favors to waver over him. He respected her. Anything she asked of him, he would do. Because that is what, in his mind at least, a brother would do for a sister. And while he would never outright tell her that was how he felt, he would act that way. It may not be by blood but Rylee was his sister and he would continue to treat her that way. Until the day he died.

He knew very little of what dangers lie ahead for him on this path. But he knew the dangers of what would come if he failed. The Prince of Camelot would not let that come to pass.

No one deserved to die for him in his stead.

And as Arthur rode alone, Nimueh watched from her well. She had prepared for this. With the Prince getting closer and closer to the forest of Baloch, there was only one thing she could do.

Approaching the forest, Arthur took a deep breath. All he had to do was find a cave entrance to get down below the forest.

Draped in a blue cloak, Nimueh watched as Arthur entered the forest. Pulling the hood over her head, Nimueh left the safety of her cavern, her lips upturned into a wicked and vial smirk.

She had to stop him before he went any further. That she was sure of.

─•~❉᯽❉~•─

As Merlin struggled to breathe and Gaius studied the rash on his arm, Gwen opened the door, frantic and guilt-ridden. She ran towards where the physicians were at work where Gaius was unsurprised.

"Let me guess, she wasn't there."

"No one has seen her since the banquet." Gwen looked to Merlin, her eyes narrowing. "Who is she?"

"Not who she claims to be."

"But you know," Rylee spoke up, raising from where her head rested upon Merlin's shoulder, "don't you, Gaius?" She sat up straight, looking at her master with cold eyes. "She told Merlin and I her name was Kara but that's not her name, is it?"

"Not her real name." Gaius offered his ward a look of sympathy. "You sensed something off about her, didn't you?"

Clenching her jaw, Rylee looked away. "I should have done something. She just... Something didn't feel right about her."

"As it should." Gaius said. "She's a powerful sorceress."

"Well," The ever optimistic Gwen fiddled with her hands, "we should tell Uther, maybe he could send riders out after her."

"No." Gaius shook his head. "She'll be long gone. It's impossible to know where though."

But then a thought hit Gaius. A terrible thought. "Oh no."

"What?" Hearing the panic in her master's voice caused Rylee to snap her head towards him.

"She knows the only place an antidote can be found is the forest of Baloch." Gaius rose from his seat. He looked between Gwen and Rylee, watching as the gears in Rylee's head produced a thought that made her eyes widen in fear.

"Arthur's walking into a trap." Gasped the young sorceress.

Merlin started to grumble Arthur's name, followed by more chanting. Grabbing the cloth, Rylee dabbed the warlock's head gently. Stopping momentarily, the young sorceress brushed the hair off Merlin's forehead before tailing her hand down to rest it upon his cheek.

Sharing a look with Gwen, Gaius walked away from where the ill-fated warlock rested, taking leave of the room to gather some fresh air to clear his mind.

Taking a seat across from her best friend, Gwen reached over, grabbing Rylee's free hand in her own.

"I knew this would happen."

Gwen almost didn't hear Rylee. "What?"

In an almost painful instance, Rylee pulled her eyes away from Merlin, showing Gwen just how badly she was hurting inside. Her eyes were bloodshot from all the unshed tears that she refused to shed. Her skin - which was already pale - grew even paler, almost sickly.

"I knew this would happen." Rylee repeated. "This is all my fault."

Gwen quickly shook her head, strengthening her grip on Rylee's hand. "No, no, no. It's not your fault."

Taking a deep breath, shaky and harsh, Rylee shook her head frantically. "I'm cursed, Gwen. Look at it. Let's be real here for a minute. You were almost executed, Morgana was almost killed by the Afanc, Lycaneous was almost captured and almost lost his mortality at that, Hael and Tyrin were almost killed by the Siren, and now..."

"Rylee," Gwen raced around the otherside of the bed, grabbing onto Rylee's shoulders as the witch looked back down to Merlin, "the Winchester curse isn't real. Your family has just been through so many terrible things. People just wanted to hurt your father. That doesn't mean that that will happen to you."

Rylee shook her head. "I knew this would happen. I shouldn't let myself fall this far." Silently, Rylee started to cry. "I shouldn't have fallen in love with him."

Choking back a sob, Rylee turned to face Gwen, tears streaming down her face. "I can't lose him, Gwen. I just can't..."

Feeling tears in her own eyes well up, Gwen lunged forward, wrapping her arms around the crying physician.

Throughout the history of the world, from the point of view of a time traveler to a common peasant, there was nothing more painful to watch than a heart breaking. All the greatest tragedies in the world have it and some hurt greater than others.

In that moment, the eternity that was one tiny second, Rylee felt like Achilles, mourning on that damned beach over Patroclus, begging and sobbing for the other half of his soul to return to him. Taking upon the blame for the ill that had befallen their lover.   She could feel her soul breaking. Her heart shattering into thousands of tiny pieces, falling like diamonds under the night sky. Nothing would ease this pain. Nothing could.

She felt rage consumed her. She would become the blade that stuck Nimueh down. She would become the hurricane that would tear everything the sorceress had built to pieces.

But when the rage blazed on, burning down into nothing but smoldering ashes, what was left in its place was pain. She would become the storm that flooded the streets. The downpour that never ended.

She would become nothing. A shell of the being she once was. For like Achilles, her Patroclus, her Merlin, meant the world to her. And what can one be without the thing that makes them whole? What could one be without their world?

Gwen did what she could, rubbing her hand on the back of Rylee's head and her back, trying to console her best friend as best she could. The creaking of the door opening drew Gwen's eyes towards it, relief filling them as she saw Morgana linger at the door.

"Rylee..."

The young sorceress lifted her head slightly, teary eyes lingering on Morgana before casting away.

The sunlight that cascaded through the windows dimmed, this lingering gloom taking the place of the air. Walking slowly across the room, Morgana placed a hand upon Rylee's shoulder, looking down at Merlin.

There was this fear that shot through Morgana's heart upon looking at him. She hadn't seen him since the banquet and she hadn't needed to be a  physician to know that the poison was taking full effect upon him: his skin drenched in sweat, his breathing sharp and interrupted constantly by his groans of pain.

"Will he be alright?" She hadn't asked either one of the girls in particular. She looked to the both of them, really not expecting an answer from either.

"If Arthur returns in time..." Gwen 's voice was soft, guarded. Like she was trying to keep herself strong.

"But we can't hold onto that hope forever..." Rylee's low tone drew both Morgana and Gwen's eyes to her, the hopeless expression upon her face was something they had not expected to see. "It's only a matter of time..."

"Hey..." Morgana leaned closer to her, wrapping her arm around her head. "You can't give up yet... Arthur will make it back in time."

"How do you know?" The sorceress asked in a dejected tone. "How do you know he will make it there and get back here in time before the poison takes him?"

She quickly rose from her seat, running her hands frantically through her hair. "I should have never let him do it. I should have drank it myself."

"No." Morgana scolded, rising to her feet. "Do not think that way. Merlin made this choice himself."

"But it's my destiny to protect him!" Rylee whipped around, her arms out wide at her sides. "I have to make sure that he is safe. That he can fulfill his destiny. If anyone is supposed to die, it should be me in his stead!"

"Stop it!" Morgana angrily scolded. "Stop it now!" She walked around the bed, grabbing Rylee's arms and held her in place. "The only person that the blame should be placed upon is Bayard."

"But Bayard isn't behind this, Morgana." Rylee replied in an exhausted tone. "It was that girl. That serving girl that took Merlin out of the banquet hall." She looked down to Merlin, complete and utter grief consuming her face. "The poison's effects are being accelerated by magic."

Shocked, Morgana looked down to Merlin before her eyes snapped back to Rylee. "Shouldn't we tell Uther? Bayard should be set free."

"He won't believe us." The sorceress stated. "He would never take the word of a servant over his own self righteousness." Dejected, Rylee pulled away from Morgana, taking a seat back beside Merlin. "I should have told him..."

There was nothing more the Ward and her handmaiden could do for the sorceress. For the guilt and the grief that consumed her was all that was keeping her locked in place. And until Arthur returned with the antidote, Rylee would never go back to being the same.

All that was left before Morgana and Gwen was an empty shell of the girl they used to love. Nothing more than a husk. A soul without a purpose.

So all Morgana and Gwen could do was sit with her. Silently praying that Arthur would return and fast.

Morgana shook her head, rubbing Rylee's shoulder one last time before she had to leave. And as she turned back, leaning against the door of Gaius' chambers, a soft tear rolled down her face.

She would do anything to fix what was going on. It just couldn't end like this. Not now.

─•~❉᯽❉~•─

Leading his horse on foot, Arthur kept a vigilant eye out, head constantly turning as birds cried out and leaves rustled in the wind. He knew something was wrong in those woods. He could feel it.

There was this lingering sense of dread in the back of his mind. Something within him that warned him of danger.

It frightened him. This unnatural sense of danger he naturally had. His intuition... It seemed unnatural. Almost as if he had a special ability for it.

But he could deny it. Brush it off as luck and ignore the nagging thought that it could be something more. Something magical.

But it wasn't enough as while Arthur passed by a fallen tree, a low hissing emerged from the darkness followed by a growl.

Merlin seemed to know it though as he started to chant in his sleep-like state. The other Paladins of Camelot looked down to him, wondering just what was going on inside his fevered mind.

But as Merlin chanted, Arthur pushed on.

Coming to the edge of a large hill, he looked before him in worry: the forest was consumed by fog as the hill descended further, seemingly endless because of the fog. The eeriness of the forest ran a shiver down the Prince's spine. It was as though he knew there was awaiting him in the fog. Something that would see him hurt or stop him from achieving his goal and fulfilling the quest he had set upon himself.

It did not deter him as Arthur and his horse traveled through the woods. However, something made him slow his pace.

Before him was a woman in a red dress, crying on a fallen tree.

Trying his horse to a branch, offering it a comforting pat, Arthur approached the woman carefully.

"Hello?"

The woman kept to herself, crying. And while it sounded like a genuine cy, no tears fell from her eyes. No sorrow or pain was placed upon her face. A ruse.  And as Arthur approached her, Nimueh turned away from him, playing the role of the fearful injured damsel.

Kneeling before her, Arthur saw a nasty injury upon Nimueh's arm. "Are you alright?"

Nimueh did not answer. She did not have the chance as the Cockatrice climbed over the hill. Rising quickly to his feet, Arthur ordered the woman to stay back as he approached it, drawing his sword. He swung it around several times, preparing to battle the creature.

Hissing at him, the Cockatrice stayed back slightly, while Nimueh just smiled wickedly. Having enough of standing by, the Cockatrice inched its way closer to Arthur, who swung several times to keep the creature back.

Taking several steps back, the Cockatrice lunged forward but it couldn't reach Arthur as he jumped, rolling over his shoulder to avoid the beast.Getting on his feet, Arthur spun around, throwing his blade. It soared through the air before impaling the Cockatrice in the chest.

Taking a moment to catch his breath as the creature screeched before lying still, Arthur turned towards Nimueh. Taking upon the act of a scared woman, Nimueh rushed to her feet, tensing her body as she stumbled on her feet.

"It's alright." Arthur spoke softly, despite being out of breath. He walked towards her. "I won't hurt you." He looked at the injury on Nimueh's arm, motioning to it. "Who did that to you?"

"My master." Nimueh replied timidly. "I ran away from him, but then I got lost. Please, don't leave me."

Arthur shook his head, a sympathetic look upon his face. "I won't. I'm not going to."

"You can take me away from here?"

"Not yet." Arthur lamented as he walked towards her. "There's something I have to do first." He looked towards the cave from which the Cockatrice had likely come from. Nimueh looked towards the cave as Arthur walked back to his horse, but when she turned back, there was this evil look in her eye.

"Why have you come to the caves?" She asked.

"I'm looking for something," Arthur replied, untying his horse from the branch, "and it can only be found here."

"What is it?" Nimueh asked meekly, playing the role she picked with ease.

But when Arthur did not answer her, she pushed. "I know this place, I could help you."

Arthur walked towards her with his horse in tow. "It's a type of flower that only grows inside the cave. It's very rare."

"The Mortaeus Flower?" Nimueh smiled. "I know where they are, I'll show you." And with that, Nimueh walked away from Arthur, giving him no choice but to follow her into the cave.

With torches in hand, Nimueh led Arthur through the cave, the Prince stopping before a junction , silently questioning whether or not they were going the right way. But Nimueh pushed on, smirking as she walked.

Meanwhile, Merlin was mumbling in his sleep, trying to warn Arthur of the coming danger.

Gwen reached forward, checking his temperature. "His fever's getting worse, isn't it?"

Gaius could only nod towards the handmaiden, confirming what she had already known to be true. "The poison's setting in."

It wasn't long before Merlin began to chant again. Gaius shushed the poor man, dabbing the cloth upon his head. "Gwen, would you fetch me some more wolfbane?"

"Yes, of course." Gwen rose from her chair, hurrying out to follow the physician's orders.

And as Gwen closed the door behind her, Rylee brushed the hair from Merlin's face. Gaius leaned closer to the warlock, "Merlin, you must fight it." The old man whispered to his ward.

But he couldn't. For Merlin was fighting another battle instead.

As Arthur and Nimueh reached the edge of a ravine inside the cave, Nimueh pointed towards the other side of the wall. "There they are."

Arthur took cautious steps onto the large rock that extended out from the side of the ravine, unaware that Nimueh watched him with a malicious look in her eye. He looked up to the flowers, seeing just how high up the small yellow herbs were perched. The Prince examined each side of the ravine, taking in how far down the drop would be.

"Keep back from the edge." He said, noting how close Nimueh was. "Don't worry, we'll be out of here soon."

With one foot in front of the other, Arthur made his way across.

However, silently, Nimueh began to chant. And as she spoke the words in the ancient language, the rocks beneath where Arthur took his cautious steps slowly began to fall away.

Nimueh's voice suddenly grew louder and a giant rock fell, startling Arthur. He whipped around, hearing Nimueh chant.

"What're you doing?" He demanded.

The evil look on Nimueh's face brought fear into Arthur's heart as he came to realize that she was the one taking the rock out from below his feet. With quick thinking, Arthur jumped to the other side of the ravine just as the last bit of rock crumbled beneath him. Gripping onto the side tightly, Arthur struggled to pull himself up.

"I expected so much more." Nimueh said coldly. She stared down at the Prince, the revenge she had desperately waited for finally starting to begin.

"Who are you?" Arthur demanded, his voice echoing throughout the ravine.

Nimueh removed the hood of her cloak. "The last face you'll ever see."

There was a slight hissing close to Arthur and it made Nimueh smile. "Seems we have a visitor." She said as a giant spider crawled swiftly to Arthur. Crawling away from the spider, Arthur dropped one of his hands, grabbing his sword from its sheath. Swinging at the creature while trying to keep his balance, Arthur waited for just the right time to strike. And as the spider leapt towards him, the Prince swung his mighty sword, knocking the spider into the ravine.

"Very good." Nimueh said. "But he won't be the last."

Arthur tossed his sword onto the edge, looking back up to Nimueh as she said, "I'll let his friends finish you off, Arthur Pendragon. It's not your destiny to die at my hand."

Oh, but she could try and kill him. Nimueh was sure of that. But with that thought in mind, Nimueh turned, leaving Arthur alone in the darkness.

"Who are you?" Arthur demanded as the light from Nimueh's torch faded.

Merlin tossed and turned, sweat pouring across his skin as he mumbled, "Arthur... it's too dark, too dark."

"What is he seeing?" Rylee asked, trying her best to wipe away the sweat from his brow.

"I'm assuming Arthur." Gaius replied. But then the old man looked between the two sorcerers before him. "Why don't you try and see?"

Rylee looked at Gaius with narrowed eyes. "What?"

"Well," Gaius dabbed a cold cloth upon Merlin's head, "whatever connects you both is strong. Stronger than anything I have ever seen in my lifetime. Perhaps, you could use it to help him here?"

Looking from Gaius to Merlin, Rylee nodded to herself. "I can try."

Placing her hands upon the sides of his head, her fingers on his temples, Rylee closed her eyes, focusing.

The black void that became her eyesight as she closed her eyes faded as her own thoughts became that of Merlin's. That was when she saw it. When she saw what Merlin was seeing.

Arthur dangling from the side of the ravine. Desperately trying to regain a strong footing and pull himself up. But there was no light. It was too dark.

Suddenly, Merlin began to chant again. But Gaius watched wide eyed as Rylee joined him, their words spoken together in perfect unison. A pale light started to emerge from underneath the blanket Merlin laid under. Gaius removed it as a small orb of light appeared in Merlin's hand. 

"What are you doing?" The old man gasped.

Back within the ravine, Arthur struggled to keep his grip in the dark. Breathing hard, his eyes were drawn to a light floating up beside him.

"Come on, then, what are you waiting for?" Arthur shouted, thinking the light came from Nimueh. "Finish me off!"

But the light did no such thing. It hovered over Arthur's head, giving him the light he needed to climb the ravine. Climbing onto the edge from which he had been hanging, Arthur picked up his sword, facing the light. But then he stopped after looking at it for a moment. Sheathing his blade, the Prince watched as the light moved towards the Mortaeus flower. Giving him exactly what he needed.

Merlin shook his head, "Leave them, Arthur."

A loud hiss sprang from the darkness below. And as Arthur looked down, he saw the spider climbing up the side of the ravine.

"Go, save yourself. Follow the light."

But Arthur looked at the flower instead. There was no way he could give up. Not when Merlin's life was on the line. Climbing the walls of the cavern, Arthur made his way towards the flower.

"You can do this, Arthur." Rylee said in a soft voice.

He had almost made it. Just barely reaching the flower, Arthur looked down, seeing hundreds more of those spiders scaling the walls of the ravine. The fear of the spiders fueled him, he just needed one more strong boost to grab the flower. Taking that leap of faith, Arthur reached up, taking one of the flowers into his hand. Arthur smiled, tucking it away into the bag attached to his belt. But looking down, the spiders grew closer.

Arthur tried to climb faster but his gloves made it impossible. Ditching them, Arthur climbed.

Merlin started to strain in his bed, Gaius trying to keep Merlin still as the sorcerer urged the Prince who could not hear him to go faster and follow the light.

And climbing faster is what Arthur did.

"Come on." Rylee whispered. "Come on, Arthur. You've got this."

Arthur scaled the ravine wall until he reached the entrance to the cavern. Looking down, the spiders were far too close for comfort.

With every last bit of strength and speed he had, Arthur climbed out of the ravine. He drew his blade instantly, ready for a fight if needed as he sped away from the cave.His mission nearly complete. 

With a gasp, Rylee tore her hands away from Merlin's face, breathing heavily as her sight returned to her. "He made it." She opened her eyes, looking to her master with a wide smile. "Arthur has the flower."

The light within Merlin's palm disappeared and a relieved Gaius placed the newly wet cloth upon Merlin's head.

Laughing lightly as tears sprung in her eyes, Rylee looked down to Merlin. "You're gonna be fine." She sobbed. "You're gonna be ok."

She knew he couldn't hear her, but it was less for his sake and more for her own sanity. Taking his hand that held the orb into her own, Rylee held it tight.

It was then she knew she would never be like Achilles. Merlin would not be Patroclus. Their story would not end there. For it was only just beginning.

That was she was sure of at that moment when all her hope returned to her.

─•~❉᯽❉~•─

Nothing could stand in his way as Arthur's horse raced back to Camelot. The dawn had broken over the hills as the palace came into the Prince's sight. The castle was so close, yet his heart still raced. There was still the matter of getting the flower back to Gaius.

But Arthur knew it wouldn't be simple as he had hoped. His father had ordered him to the castle. He left. Arthur knew his father was a cruel and vengeful man and the Prince could only hope that his father could forgive him for this one insurgency. After all, Uther couldn't be that heartless, could he?

But as Arthur came into view of the castle, one of the guards shouted, "Inform the King. Arthur has returned to Camelot!"

But as the Prince approached the gates, he was greeted by guards with their spears drawn towards him.

"What're you doing?" Arthur demanded. "Let me pass."

"I'm sorry, sire." Sir Gregory drew his sword. "You are under arrest." Arthur looked towards the palace, anger growing on his face. "By order of the King."

And as much as he had hoped, Arthur came to know the truth.

His father could be that heartless.

─•~❉᯽❉~•─

"You disobeyed me." Uther turned to face his son, standing in the gated doorway of the cell he had placed his son in.

"Of course, I did." Arthur shot back. "A man's life was at stake. Do not let Merlin die because of something I did."

"Why do you care so much?" Uther asked. "The boy's just a servant."

"He knew the danger he was putting himself in," Arthur argued, "he knew what would happen if drank from that goblet, but he did it anyway." Uther turned away, truly not listening to his son. "He saved my life."

Arthur could only stare at his father. Thoughts raced through his head as he tried to imagine what could have made his father so cruel. So vile that he would just let Merlin die like that. That he would do nothing to save his life. The Prince casted his eyes to the floor for a moment. If Uther wasn't going to listen to him about Merlin, then there was one thing he would listen to. " There's more."

The cold-hearted King turned his head halfheartedly, almost uninterested in what Arthur had to report, but some sliver of him wanted to hear him out.

"There was a woman at the mountain, she knew I was there for the flower." Arthur had a stern expression upon his face. "I don't think it was Bayard who tried to poison me."

Uther scoffed. "Of course it was."

Arthur reached into the pouch upon his belt, taking the flower out from it. He strode up to his father, holding it out. "Gaius knows what to do with it."

Uther took the flower from his son as Arthur continued on. "Put me in the stocks for a week, a month even, I don't care. Just make sure it gets to him." Arthur dropped the sternness in his voice, allowing himself to seem vulnerable before his father. "I'm begging you."

It seemed for a moment that Uther had gained a heart. He stepped away from his son slightly, before the hand that held the flower clenched shut. Arthur stepped back, only to jump forward as Uther crushed the flower in his hand, crying out for him to stop.

"You have to learn, there is a right and a wrong way of doing things." Uther was cold, his eyes unfeeling. "I'll see you're let out in a week." Uther walked away from Arthur but before he left him, Uther said this, "Then you can find yourself another servant."

Tossing down the flowers Uther left his son as the guards closed the door to Arthur's cell. Falling to the ground, Arthur tried to reach through the bars for the flower.

That was just out of reach.

─•~❉᯽❉~•─

Merlin's fever was getting worse. And there was nothing that could slow it down. Arthur had been back for several hours and yet, the flower was being withheld. Uther's pride and arrogance risked Merlin's life in ways that were unforgivable. News of Arthur's arrival and prompt arrest spread like wildfire throughout the Citadel. An almost unbelievable sight to witness, seeing the Prince being hauled down to the dungeons.

As Gwen opened the door to Gaius' chambers, the two physicians looked up eagerly at the handmaiden.

"He hasn't got much longer." Gaius said. "Has Arthur got the flower?"

Gwen shook her head, shrugging her shoulders. "I don't know. Uther won't allow anyone to see him."

Hearing this, Rylee threw her head back. Running her hands through her hair, she bit back a sob. "What are we gonna do?"

"Is there anything we can do?" Gwen asked in a meek tone.

Gaius looked down to the boy on his bed, pondering what he could do. What any of them could do. There had to be something that could buy them time. There had to be.

That was when the thought raced through his head. The older physician's eyes widened. "Rylee?"

His apprentice leaned her head down, humming in the direction of her master.

"Get the book."

Looking at Gaius like the man had grown three extra heads, Rylee rushed to her feet. "But... But... You told me never to-"

"I know what I said." Gaius interrupted her. "But now I fear if we can't slow the poison or lessen the fever, Merlin won't have long enough for any of us to get the flower." The older man pointed to the door of Merlin's room. "Go."

Looking between Gwen and Merlin, the young sorceress nodded slightly. She took off, throwing the door to Merlin's room open and found the book of magic laying upon the boy's bed.

Snatching it from the blankets, Rylee flipped through the pages, seeking out the pages upon pages of healing spells she had bookmarked. Nothing seemed to match what was going on.

"Anything?" Gwen asked, her tone full of hope.

But Rylee shook her head. "Nothing. Nothing to slow the poison and nothing strong enough to completely break his fever without taking hours Merlin doesn't have."

With a loud groan, Rylee tossed the book onto the table, leaning her head into her hands as she kept a close eye on the sorcerer that lay dying beside her.

The old physician sighed, shaking his head. "We have to get that flower." Gaius said. "It's the only thing that can save him."

"Then we have to find out if Arthur has it." Gwen said. "I could sneak into the dungeon."

Rylee snapped her head in Gwen's direction. "No, it's too dangerous."

"I've got to." Gwen argued. "Merlin will die if I don't." 

Merlin's groans of pain started to grow louder, making Rylee and Gaius share a look. The old physician looked at Gwen with a nod. "Be careful."

As Gwen left, Gaius took Rylee's hand, making the young warlock look up at her master.

Gaius was a realist if there ever was one. It was a trait Rylee saw in Bobby. That reliability to pull through even the shittiest of situations. It almost made Rylee tear up for a completely new reason.

Gaius could never replace him, but sure as hell, Bobby would have been happy that Rylee found someone to take care of her the way he used to in this new place.

The look on his face, she knew he doubted that they would get the antidote in time.

"I'll give you some time." Said the old man, patting her hand lightly.

Rylee watched as Gaius rose up. She looked at him with thankful eyes, almost regretful he wasn't giving himself time with the young man he saw as a son. Seeing him in the doorway, she forced a smile, nodding to him. Gaius returned it, turning away to leave her in silence. When the door closed, Rylee's eyes fell upon Merlin. Sniffling, she wiped her eyes at the sounds of his pain, physically not able to cope with the amount of pain he was in.

"Come on, you jackass." She sneered. "You've gotta pull through this." She leaned down, taking his hand into her own. "I can't lose anyone else, Merlin." She pressed her face into his hair, whispering into his ear. "I can't lose you."

She sat back up, moving the hair from his face. "I should have told you how I felt. I should've, I know that. But I was scared." She stopped, pausing as a sob took over her breath. Leaning her finger under the nose, she hiccuped. "I didn't want to lose you. I couldn't fathom the idea that things would change. That there was a possibility I could be happy and then lose you. I just... I just couldn't bear it."

Wrapping her arm around his neck to hold him close, she whispered. "I love you, Merlin, and I need you to stay with me." She looked up, searching the warlock's pained face for anything. Any sign that he could hear her. Even if she could have never even bare the thought of him hearing those words. "Gods, if I could just exist without you..." Her head fell, sobbing into the sorcerer's shoulder.

Watching his ward sob as she held Merlin close, Gaius could only shake his head. Praying to whatever deity would listen to him that Gwen could get the flower. Because he knew. He knew the truth.

Camelot would fall the moment Merlin took his last breath.

─•~❉᯽❉~•─

Carrying a small plate of food, Gwen walked down the stairs that led towards the dungeons. Stopping before the guards, she turned to the closest one, "Food for the prisoner."

The guard motioned for her to walk on through. Subtly, a small breath fell from Gwen's lips. She didn't like being in the dungeons.

Granted no one, but for her, the weight of what happened with the plague still lingers in her mind. Nearly losing her father would have killed her, but Rylee and Merlin saving his life nearly killed her. Either way, the dungeons was not somewhere Gwen liked to be. She had to take a breath, a deep one, to keep her hands from shaking and steady herself to keep her breathing calm.

Walking up to Arthur's cell, Gwen saw the Prince sitting with his back to the wall. He was disheveled, a mess. His hair was wild and his clothes were loose. He raised his head as the guard unlocked the cell, his eyes brightening at the sight of Guinevere.

"Guinevere." He acknowledged her. "Set it down over there." He motioned where he wanted it with his eyes.

With a curtsy-like nod, Gwen walked over to where Arthur had told her. Thanking her, Arthur stood up, walking over to the food. Taking the plate as Gwen went to step out of the cell, Arthur stopped her.

"Wait a minute."

Gwen turned to face him as he put the plate back down onto the small bench. "I couldn't possibly eat this, it's disgusting." Arthur trudged back over to his moping spot. "The state it's in, I'm not sure it's fit for anyone."

Gwen nodded once more to the Prince, walking back over to the plate. She looked down, seeing the flower placed inside the food. Subtly smiling at him, Gwen took leave of the cell. Leaving Arthur to watch and hope she could get to Merlin in time. 

As Gwen was leaving the cells, one of the guards stopped her. Freezing in place, Gwen turned to face the guard as he approached her. Looking down at the good, the knight took a  piece of the bread that was on the plate.

Lucky for him, really, that there were no extra ingredients inside of it.

"Waste not want not, eh?" He said. "We're not all as precious as Her Royal Highness." Gwen offered the knight a meek, fake smile, before taking her leave.

Another maid walked down the steps with a plate and cup in hand just as Gwen started to trudge up the stairs.

"Food for Prince Arhtur."

And that's when the knight knew he had been duped. "Stay where you are!"

Dropping the plate, Gwen took off in a sprint. She had to go if she was ever going to make it. In her mind, she could hear Rylee, feel her right beside her, screaming at the top of her lungs "I ain't going back to jail" and for that moment, Gwen used the chaotic energy Rylee had gifted her.

She had to be strong. For the both of them.

─•~❉᯽❉~•─

Gwen threw open the doors to Gaius' chambers. "How is he?"

Rylee's head snapped up from Merlin's shoulder. "Do you have the Mortaeus?" Her tone was desperate, meek. It was hoarse from all the tears and sobs that Rylee had cried over the past two days.

Gaius walked towards the speeding handmaiden as she handed him the flower. "His breathing is much worse. We have to hurry."

Gaius raced over to his work station, grinding up the flower until he stopped. Rylee and Gwen looked up to him in a panic.

"Why have you stopped?" Gwen asked.

"The poison was created using magic," Gaius recalled, "we may need magic to make an antidote."

Rylee looked between Gaius and Gwen. She knew what had to be done, motioning Gwen to close the door, the young sorceress held her hands out to the old man. "Just tell me what I need to say."

Gwen raced over to the door, closing it shut and barring it shut to ensure no one would come in as Gaius nodded, handing the bowl over to his apprentice. Rylee started to grind the flower as Gaius stood up, facing her. Placing his hands over hers, he started to chant. His ever curious student copying each word with precision. As she chanted along with Gaius, she saw the blue of his eyes turn to gold as she felt her own magic flow through her into the ground up flower. Once they had finished, Gaius looked over to Gwen, "Here, get me that bottle of water."

Slightly amazed at what she saw, Gwen grabbed a small vial of water, handing it to the old man. Taking the bowl from Rylee, Gaius poured the mixture into the water.

"Hold his nose."

Rylee reached over, closing her fingers over Merlin's nose, blocking his airway. Gaius tipped the elixir into Merlin's mouth, "Swallow, Merlin, swallow it."

"Come on, babes." Rylee begged in a whisper.

Standing back, giving the potion a moment, the room was silent. Rylee placed her hand upon Merlin's chest, feeling as his chest stopped moving. It hadn't taken a genius to deduce the look of panic that froze Rylee's features. It was like the world had frozen in an instant, her body running cold as if ice had overtaken her blood. "He's not breathing." She tore her eyes up to Gaius. "Gaius, what's happening?"

Gaius just stood there, confused.

With her breathing heavy, Rylee rested her head upon Merlin's chest. She heard no heartbeat.

"No." She whispered. She looked up, tears falling from her eyes as she whispered. "His heart stopped."

Gwen looked down at Merlin, disbelief all over her face as tears fell from her eyes. "He's dead?"

As Gwen's tears turned to silent sobs, Rylee shook her head violently. "No. No. No. No." She laid her head upon his chest. "Please, Gods, no, no, no."

"He can't be..." Gaius said in a whisper. "He can't be."

"Please." Rylee sobbed. "Please wake up."

"It's my fault." Gwen sobbed. "If I'd have gotten here sooner. Quicker."

Gaius placed a gentle hand upon Gwen's shoulder, causing the young girl to race up, burying herself into Gaius' arms.

Rylee gripped onto Merlin's shirt, her tears staining the blue fabric. "I'm sorry. I'm so sorry. Please come back."

There was a moment of silence as Gaius took the blame upon himself. "No, it's mine.." Said the old man. "I should have looked after him better."

There was nothing left. Nothing they could do anymore. Within her mind, Rylee cursed whatever damned force had plagued her family with this god damn curse. What did she have to do to ensure she could be even the slightest bit happy? What the hell did she have to do to live a somewhat normal life with someone she loved?

She didn't want to become Achilles. She didn't want Merlin to take Patroclus' place. Her life wasn't some goddamn story for some fucked up person to mess with. And as she gripped Merlin's shirt tightly, sobs being the only thing that tore from her lips, Rylee felt her entire world come crashing down.

She now knew how her father felt on that dreadful day that bitch of a Demon took her mother from them. From him.

Rylee knew now there was no coming back from this. There was nothing that was going to make this better.

"That's disgusting." 

Rylee tore her head up from Merlin's chest, desperate bloodshot eyes looking at what she thought was a ghost. But feeling his chest, the soft thumping of his heart. It made her gasp.

Merlin was alive.

Gwen pulled away from Gaius, both of them looking down at the young warlock in utter disbelief.

"You should be ashamed of yourself, you're old enough to be her grandfather." The young and very much alive warlock scolded.

"Merlin." Rylee gasped. The tone in her voice brought his eyes to her. "You're alive!"

The warlock smiled. "No, I'm a ghost come back to haunt you."

Rylee sobbed, her lips breaking into a long awaited smile. Lunging forward, she grabbed the back of his neck, pulling him into a kiss. Quickly she pulled back and Merlin stared at her in awe and wonder.

But, as quickly as she kissed him, Rylee landed a smack upon his shoulder. "Don't you ever do that again!"

Jokingly groaning in pain, Merlin chuckled. By looking upon her face, he could see the days worth of tears that were shed. His eyes were soft as he looked at her with a shake of his head. "No promises."

He looked up, smiling at Gwen, who happily sobbed into her hands, and Gaius, both completely overjoyed that Merlin was alive. "What happened? Last thing I remember is drinking the wine."

Looking at Gaius and Gwen, Rylee's smile spread to the three of them. Laughing lightly, taking in soft relief filled breaths, Rylee lowered her head, resting it upon the warlock's shoulder.

"Well," Gaius' started, "it's a long story..."

─•~❉᯽❉~•─

It wasn't hard to imagine that news of Bayard's arrest in Camelot was going to reach the others in Mercia quickly. What Uther had feared most was coming to pass, the war was not over as the forces of Mercia were marching to Camelot.

"Sire?" Gaius stood in the doorway of the council chamber, watching as Uther scoured over plans with his knights and advisor over the next attack on Camelot by Mercia and how they would defend the city. "Forgive the interruption but may I speak with you?"

"Not now."

"Your highness, it is important." Gaius insisted, walking into the council room.

"Word of Bayard's arrest has gotten back to Mercia," Uther said, "we're about to be attacked."

"I fear that what I have to tell you may have some bearing on your plans. Please, it will only take a moment." Uther was annoyed by the old man, but Gaius was trusted by Uther. The King nodded to his men, allowing them to continue the plan of attack. Gaius followed the King as he wandered off to a secluded part of the room.

"I know who tried to poison Arthur."

"So do I," Uther said, "he's locked in my dungeons."

"It wasn't Bayard." Gaius said. "The poison was magical. And I recognize the hand that made it anywhere." Gaius looked over to the council for a second before turning back to the King. "Nimueh."

A panicked expression fell upon the King's face. "You must be mistaken."

"I wish I was." Gaius lamented.

"It can't have been." Uther protested. "We'd know her. That witch's face is not easily forgotten."

"She's a powerful sorceress, she can enchant the eye that beholds her." Gaius said. "We never knew it was her."

"Have you any proof?" Uther asked hastily.

"The poison used against Merlin was made more potent by the use of magic."

Uther looked to his friend in anger and fear, thinking the worst. "You're saying that she conspired with Bayard to kill Arthur?"

Gaius shook his head. "No. Bayard is innocent. Look at what's happening." Gaius glanced at the war table. "This is what she wanted all along. A war to bring strife and misery to Camelot."

Uther turned back to his council, taking a moment to consider what the old man had told him. If it was true, then he was holding Bayard for no reason. And if he was right, Nimueh was getting what she wanted. Both were things that Uther would have to take the blame for, which was something he could not stand. Raising his voice for them to hear, Uther spoke to his council. "How long before Bayard's armies reach our walls?"

"A day, maybe less. We should send our cavalry out to meet them."

Uther returned to the war table, pacing his hands upon  it. Uther took a moment to collect his thoughts before he gave the order, "Instruct your men not to leave Camelot until I give the word."

The knight across from him bowed in respect. "Sire."

The war council disbanded, following after the knight.

"You're making the right decision, sire." Gaius said. And as the rest of the council left, Gaius leaned upon the table himself, lowering his voice for only Uther to hear. "Do you think Arthur should be told the truth about Nimueh?"

Uther just stared at the table, trying to decide what was best. But nothing was that easy when it came to Nimueh.

─•~❉᯽❉~•─

Bayard and his people were released and as the people of Mercia left the city of Camelot, Uther watched along with Morgana and Arthur.

"Okay," Morgana said, "let the bragging begin, how did you manage it?"

Arthur just watched the people of Mercia as they left, the blues of their armor fading underneath the trees. "I'm not sure." He replied. "All I do know is I had help."

This intrigued Morgana. She turned to face him, looking at him while he looked away from her.

"Someone knew I was in trouble." Arthur continued. "They sent a light to guide the way."

"Who?" Morgana asked, though she had a sneaking suspicion she already knew the answer. There was no way it wasn't their doing. Even comatosed and emotionally weak, Morgana knew Merlin and Rylee could be responsible for Arthur's safe return.

"I don't know." Arthur answered. "But whoever it was, I'm only here because of them."

Morgana simply smiled at Arthur. "I'm just glad you're back." She placed a hand upon his arm before leaving him to his thoughts.

At least until his father spoke up, "Arthur."

Arthur turned to face his father.

"The woman you met in the forest, what did she tell you?"

Arthur looked away from his father, focusing back on the people of Mercia, "Not much." He answered. "She was too busy trying to get me killed. It was strange though."

"In what way?"

Arthur turned, facing his father as he said the strangest thing, at least strange to him, "I was at her mercy. She could've finished me off but she chose not to. She said it wasn't my destiny to die at her hand."

And while Arthur did not understand it, Uther seemed to as his face lit up in panic.

"You must have been scared."

Arthur shrugged. "It had its moments."

"Those who practice magic know only evil," Uther said out of nowhere, "they despise and seek to destroy goodness wherever they find it.Which is why she wanted you dead. She is evil."

Arthur looked at his father curiously. "It sounds as if you know her."

"I do." Uther said. "To know the heart of one sorcerer is to know them all." Uther turned to his son, a look of pride upon his face. "You did the right thing, even though you were disobeying me."

Arthur smirked, chuckling under his breath.

Uther placed a hand upon his son's shoulder. "I'm proud of you Arthur, never forget that."

Arthur nodded to his father as they both turned to look back out over the kingdom, watching what could have been another deadly war walk away.

─•~❉᯽❉~•─

Entering Gaius' chambers, Arthur found Merlin sitting at a table, drinking away to regain his strength. Walking over, the Prince shared a smile and a nod with Rylee as the young apprentice worked away at her station.

"Still alive then?"

Merlin turned his head, looking at Arthur with a smile. "Uh, yeah." Merlin said. "Just about."

Arthur stopped, leaning against the back of Merlin's chair.

"I understand I have you to thank for that." 

"Yeah, well, it was nothing." Arthur responded nonchalantly. "A half decent servant is hard to come by. Plus," Arthur motioned to the young sorceress sitting behind them, "she probably would have killed me if I hadn't."

"Damn straight," Rylee cheered, throwing her fist up into the air.

Arthur just waved her off, "I was only dropping by to make sure you were all right," Merlin smiled at this, "check you'd be back to work tomorrow."

Merlin nodded. "Oh, yeah, yeah, of course. Bright and early."

As Arthur walked away from Merlin, he swiped his hand to push Rylee's head, but the young sorceress caught it, smacking his wrist lightly, "Piss off, Pendragon, I'm busy."

Arhtur merely laughed at this. He walked to the door, ready to leave, Merlin watching him as he went.

"Arthur." The young warlock called out.

The Prince turned around, stopping just in the doorframe.

Merlin smiled. "Thank you."

Arthur stared at him for a moment before responding in kind, "You, too." And as Merlin nodded to him, the Prince nodded back. "Get some rest." And with that Arthur left the room.

Merlin chuckled, turning back to his food. As he took another drink from his cup, something came to mind. Something he needed to say. After everything that she just went through because of him, he owed her this much. She deserved to know the truth. Placing the cup upon the table, he looked at Rylee through the corner of his eye.

"I heard you," He turned to face her, the blanket upon his shoulders falling off, "what you said earlier.."

Rylee stopped moving, her quill no longer used to write the words upon her paper. Biting her lip, she closed her eyes. Of course he remembered. It would be too kind of fate to allow her this one tiny thing. "I thought you couldn't remember anything."

"I don't remember much." the young warlock rose from his seat, walking over to her work station. "But I do remember you. Begging for me to get better." He smirked, raising an eyebrow as he jested, "I also remember you calling me a jackass."

Holding her breath, Rylee felt the tears well up in her eyes. "Look," She got up from her table, her back to him, "just forget I said anything. We can just move on from this. Nothing needs to change."

Merlin just stared at her. What did she mean by that? How could she not? "What do you mean?"

"Come on, Merlin," Rylee sighed, exhaustion taking its toll on her tone, "please, don't be cruel."

That last part of her voice faded to a tone so quiet Merlin almost couldn't hear it. He stared at her back, watching her shoulders curl in as she held her arms. There was this slight shake to her body that could only mean that she was afraid. It took him a moment until the realization of what was going on in her mind finally hitting him. "But what if I want it to? What if I want things to change?"

Rylee shook her head vigorously, "You don't know what you're saying."

Suddenly, Rylee felt Merlin's hands turning her to face him. "Haven't I been blatantly obvious?" He asked.

"No..." Rylee tried to not look into his eyes. "I'm cursed. You'll only get hurt. I can't go through what my Dad went through. I won't survive it."

Merlin shook his head. "You're not your father. And I'm strong enough to protect myself."

Rylee's eyes filled with tears. "So was my mom." She said, just barely above a whisper.

Holding her face in his hand. "I'm not going anywhere." He leaned closer, smiling at her. "You can try and keep away from me all you want but I am done letting my fear over destiny get in the way."

"Merlin..." Rylee shook her head. "You deserve better than me."

"I can't get any better than what's in front of me."

Rylee looked up to see Merlin smiling brightly. "I know what I want. I know what I feel." He said. His eyes were sparkling with tears. Happy tears. "I love you. I've loved you since the day we met. And I will do anything to be by your side."

The young sorceress couldn't stop the tears from flowing or the smile that graced her lips. She wanted that smile to disappear. She wanted to fade into Oblivion. Surely he hadn't meant what he said? He knew what happens to people who love a Winchester. The pain and the misery that follows them with every step they take.

But then, a gentle voice filled her head. Bug, always remember that no matter what happens, no matter where life takes you, always open your heart to love. The right one will come and I need you to know that you don't have to run from it. Please don't make the same mistakes your mother and I did. Please, let yourself be happy. Even if it's just for a moment. Because it's worth it. Every second of it.

Her father was right, as per usual. Rylee looked up to Merlin, her face softening at the sight of his crystalline blue eyes that trimmed with the happiest tears she had ever seen.

There was no hiding from this. Maybe this is what destiny had meant for them? Maybe this is what they were meant to do?

Taking the moment of silence between them, Rylee jumped up, wrapping her arms around Merlin's neck to pull him down, placing one of her hands upon the side of his face.

It wasn't the perfect kiss. Far from it. Considering it was the first time either of them had kissed anyone.

But for them, at that moment,  it was.

It was everything they needed to say. Everything they felt. All the months of pining, denial, and pushing away, it was all worth it in the end.

Their kiss wasn't anything that would be written about, but to them, it was everything.

It was enough.

Pulling away from each other, Merlin rested his forehead upon her's. "Looks like you're stuck with me now for a long time."

Rylee chuckled. "Bold of you to assume you were going anywhere without me before." And as she stared into his eyes, flashes took over her eyes.

Images of things yet to come.

But there was no pain. Because these were good visions. And as the image of what would be the greatest day of her life spent with the people she loved faded, she met his eyes, seeing nothing but utter love and devotion in them. "I love you, Merlin."

Holding her close, Merlin rubbed his nose against hers. "And I love you."

Looking at him, a thought passed through her head. Lowering her head, she laughed. "I'm never gonna hear the end of this from Morgana and Gwen."

Laughing, Merlin just pushed her hair behind her ear. "I'll hold them off if you want me to, My Love."

Rylee hummed, shaking her head. "Nah. They'll freak out for about a week." But then a mischievous glint passed through her eyes, which Merlin caught.

"What are you planning?" He mused with a raised eyebrow.

Smirking, Rylee suggested this plan. "Let's not tell them and see how long it will take for them to figure it out."

Merlin created some distance between them, raising an eyebrow. "You are vicious. They will kill you."

Rylee merely shrugged. "I need some fun around here sometimes. Berating Arthur is just not enough sometimes."

Merlin looked at her, seemingly disappointed, until his smile returned. "I love this plan." He laughed with the shake of his head.

Smiling brightly, Rylee returned to her workspace, keeping her hand  intertwined with Merlin as he sat down next to her. Grabbing her quill once again, she started to jot down the notes she needed for work. It was nice, just the two of them sitting alone in a room. Glancing at Merlin, the young sorceress caught him staring, but his mind seemed elsewhere. 

"You know," Rylee shifted closer to the young warlock, brushing his hair to the side, "Arthur may give you a hard time, but in his heart, he is a man of honor."

"Now that is the most intelligent thing I have you say in the last week, my dear girl."

Rylee and Merlin turned to see Gaius entering the room. "It's lovely to see your mind back in the right place."

With a quill in hand, he pointed at Merlin, "She's right, though. There aren't many who would've risked what he did for a servant."

"It all would've been for nothing if you didn't know how to make the antidote, Gaius." Merlin said.

Gaius nodded, a proud look on his face as he saw the two sorcerers intertwined hands. "Come on," He pointed at his apprentice," take a break now. Eat your dinner."

Merlin was about to eat when a thought came to mind. "I still don't understand why she went to all the trouble of framing Bayard? She could have just kept quiet and killed Arthur."

"Ah, but destroying Arthur and Camelot wasn't all she was after."

Rylee tilted her head to the old man. "What do you mean?"

Gaius looked between the two of them. "She knew you would be forced to drink that wine." He pointed to Merlin with his spoon and then he pointed to Rylee. "And she knew you would have run yourself down trying to save you." He swung the spoon in between the two of them "It was you two she wanted to destroy."

Tensing, Rylee and Merlin shared a look.

"It seems someone else knows you're both destined for great things."

And from her well, Nimueh watched in anger as her plan completely failed.

Rylee took a breath, "Well, she better try harder next time." She looked at Merlin with a broad smile. "Because things will be different."

Merlin smiled, placing a kiss upon her forehead. "She won't know what's coming."

Gaius nodding, smiling at the both of them.

And, really, they were right. Nimueh had no idea what she had done. The force she had just unleashed. Because, instead of breaking and destroying them, she just ensured that their destiny would come true.

The light cannot exist without the dark. Like the balance of power, Merlin and Rylee were one in the same. Neither could exist without the other. Like the Sun and Moon, there was no separating them. Nimueh could do her best, but it would never be enough.

She didn't kill their destiny like she had wanted to. She did something far greater.

She awakened it.

[The story, thankfully, continues...]

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.8M 56.6K 99
No young man or woman, no matter how great, can know their destiny. They cannot glimpse their part in the great story that is about to unfold. Like e...
Take 65 By Dean

Fanfiction

72K 2K 21
When Merlin gets injured and falls ill, what will Arthur do? (Morgana is alive, Gwen is with Lancelot, Eventual Pergwaine, Arthur knows about Merlin'...
137K 3.2K 32
Merlin took his sister with him when he went to Camelot. What he didn't realise was how much this would affect his destiny. And how much danger there...
26.5K 452 13
"Share? uh...I don't know how I feel about you two sleeping together." Bobby said, eyeing us. "Why? We always sleep together." Jack informed. "He mea...