Progressive Factor II: Lacrim...

By HardinTwentyfive

With three floors under their belt, Kirito, Asuna, Jaymes, and Koharu continue their progression up the lower... More

She Was My Friend
The Vastly Different Fourth Floor
Blacksmith Meets Warrior And Assassin
A Bear or Not A Bear
Maiden Voyage of the Tilnel
Party of Five
The Threat of the Fallen
An Aincrad Christmas, Part One
An Aincrad Christmas, Part Two
An Aincrad Christmas, Part Three
An Aincrad Christmas, Part Four
Defending Yofel Castle
Success and Progress
Onward to the Fifth Floor
The Land of Ruins and Player Killing
Treasure Temple
The Fright of Asuna
Ghost Hunting in the Catacombs
The Men In The Hoods
Because They Got You
Liten and Shivata
New Year's Gamble: The Knight Returns
Kirito's Idea
New Year's Gamble: The Twenty-Two
New Years' Gamble: Fuscus the Vacant Colossus
The Swordsmen Cry, Happy New Year, and Showtime
The Realm of Puzzles
The Blacksmith and the Idol Return
When Rain Falls, The Kind One Fights On
A Cursed Questline, Part One
A Cursed Questline, Part Two
Deadly Interference
Crimson Rage
A Sudden Change of Plans
Dungeons and Deserts
Castle Galey
Holding Pinkies
Southward Bound
Kizmel's Mission
Qusack
Awakening and Realization
The Lord's Daughter, Myia
Fallen Plans
Attack on Caste Galey, Part 1
Attack on Castle Galey, Part 2
A Unseen Trap Sprung
The Ferryman's Obul
Chasing After Theano
The Irrational Cube
She'll Always Be Our Friend

Mito the Reaper

90 2 0
By HardinTwentyfive

December 21st, Asuna

"Four floors, new friends, and a reputation that precedes you, but you're still the cold, academic-minded princess I've known."

"Misumi?"

"Mito?"

"Hello there, Koharu. It's been a while, hasn't it?"

Koharu nods as she walks up to the table Mito sits at. "We haven't seen you since we beat that monster on the first floor. How are you?"

"Alive and well. Can say the same of you, from what I've heard, Kindred Assassin."

Koharu scratches her head. "Oh, yeah...that." Clearing her throat, she looks at Asuna and then back at Mito. "Asuna, you know Mito?"

Asuna nods slowly. "Yes. I know Mito, both here and in the real world." She steps up to the table and hesitantly sits down. Once she does, she finds herself unable to look Mito in the eye. Their last meeting was two days before she heard and looked for the rumored exit point Koharu, Jaymes, and Argo saved her from. It wasn't a pleasant adventure that Asuna remembers, and it led to the two breaking off then and there. When Asuna found the courage to die on her feet, she didn't seek to reconcile with Mito.

Unsaid to everyone else in her party, she was surprised Mito did not participate in the raid Diavel assembled against Illfang. Mito did not appear on the frontier on the previous floors either. Considering Koharu knows Mito, she wonders if Koharu knows how strong Mito is. She wants to ask, but the topic lingers on Asuna's tongue.

Mito, however, is not as hesitant. "Yes, Asuna and I know each other in the real world. As a matter of fact, I am the reason she's in this hellhole..."

xxxxxxxxxx

In the eyes of the girls at Eternia Academy, there are two top students. One is Asuna, who aces her exams with ease and even helps her friends with their studies. The other is the loner Misumi Towaza, who is the top scorer in their grade. As a matter of fact, to the girls of Eternia Academy, only Asuna has spoken to Misumi comfortably, but in conversations, most of their classmates probably wouldn't follow.

There's truth to the matter, but Asuna knows Misumi's secret, found accidentally as she passed a gaming arcade that was streaming a tournament. The girl is not only book smart but a top player in video games. Unfortunately, Asuna was caught by Misumi outside the shop, but what came from it became a great friendship in secret. Misumi even taught Asuna how to play the fighting game that was being streamed, though Asuna sucks at it.

"Why do you hide it? It's not that uncommon for a girl to be into gaming now, right?"

"Our school's different. It's one thing if you're in the elementary course."

"You really think so?"

"You're the only opponent I need, Asuna."

"As weak as I am?"

On Sunday, November 6th, forty-five days ago, Asuna followed Misumi's advice and entered SAO using her brother's NerveGear and copy of the game. Asuna made the rookie mistake of entering her real name and, not knowing that the helper she met when she entered the Town of Beginnings was an NPC, said Misumi's real name out loud when trying to find her friend. And when Misumi did appear - as a tall male avatar with a spooky mask - it took Misumi to change her voice and yell at Asuna for her to stop saying her real name for the newbie to believe her.

And as Kirito, Jaymes, and Koharu (who were together at the time with another player) can relate, everything was fine until 5:30 pm, when Akihiko Kayaba made his grand announcement. And just as Kirito did, Mito wasted no time taking Asuna out in the wilderness to get stronger. Asuna's experience that first night mimicked Koharu's, with her breaking down after nearly dying while the more experienced player in the bunch did her best to calm her down. The only difference is that Koharu, who didn't get far in the game, had some experience in SAO as a beta tester; Asuna had zero.

"Asuna?"

"What is this? I don't get it at all! We can't log out of the game? How is that even possible?"

"Hey, calm down."

"I have to take my entrance exams soon! Why is this happening!"

"This is no time to be talking-"

"I don't know anything about this game!"

"Asuna."

"You can say that you want to move on because you're good at these games! But it's different for me! So just leave me alone!"

"...Whatever you do, don't say things like that. I know that you're scared, but just trust me. I'll teach you everything I know about Sword Art Online. So let's try to clear the game together. And then let's go home together."

The two worked well as a team together and Asuna's abilities progressed, but not all good things would last. Two days before Asuna investigated the rumored log-out point and would be rescued Jaymes, Koharu, and Argo, a falling out occurred between the pair. As they made their way to a town far from the Town of Beginnings, Asuna accidentally hit a fruit-bearing Little Nepenthes, causing her and Mito to be caught in a horde. While Asuna would be rescued by a group of passing players from the carnivorous plants, Mito abandoned her friend by leaving the party...

xxxxxxxxxxx

With the specific details of their separation untold, Koharu's eyes stay wide like a gift-receiving baby the entire time Mito and Asuna told the story of themselves. "Wow. To think you were initially a guy with a different voice before this whole thing started."

Mito shrugs. "I kinda liked it too... Wasn't you and Jaymes any different himself before the switch?"

"Jaymes was...taller, like Kirito, and a bit manlier. Overall, both really looked like older versions of themselves. But I...did as Asuna did, in both name and likeness."

"Heh, yeah. But I would have never guessed she'd be one of the strongest girls in the game. I can say the same of you too, Koharu. You're a far cry from the girl who Jaymes risked his life fighting off wolves."

"I don't think so."

"Not what I've heard. Diavel, the symbol of the frontier, was protected by Jaymes and you four lead the fight against Illfang. Kirito became a beater in the aftermath, yet you stuck by him as fellow beaters. You uncovered a plot by scammers and defeated three bosses at once. Everyone raved about how Asuna and Jaymes held off Asterius alone for a few minutes. Then, on the previous floor, there was...well, there was an elf lady."

"Her name's Kizmel," Asuna prissily spurts out. Mito raises an eyebrow and smirks.

"Oh, I see... You really have changed." Suddenly, the atmosphere changes as Mito gets up and steps over to Asuna. She expected a tense argument, a continuation of their previous one, but instead, she finds her head in the arms of Mito.

"Misu...Mito?"

"I'm so happy you're okay. All this time, I've been worried but too stubborn to send a message. And I...heard so many stories that made me realize that maybe us separating was for the best. It allowed you to blossom on your own, to rise to stardom. I guess you excelling isn't a surprise, but I would have never guessed it would happen here of all places. And what did I do? In a moment of fear for both our lives, I abandoned you and ran for my life."

"I..." Asuna really doesn't know what to say. For one, Mito leaving her was partially Asuna's fault, and at the same time, she's equally if not more at fault for not getting in contact with her. Asuna wouldn't have known Mito was still alive was it not for the daily glances at her friend's list for Mito's name.

Mito snorts and releases Asuna's head. "I don't know, maybe you were right for calling me an idiotic optimist and a freak gamer who seeks to kill herself. But not as dumb as you, apparently. Tell me, do you believe we can reach the hundredth floor?"

"If such a thing is possible. For now, my only goal is to live as long as I can, and die fighting on my feet at the very least."

"I see. Well, my goal for the day has been met." Mito turns to Koharu and nods her head. "Thanks for watching over and being a friend to Asuna."

"O=oh you're welcome."

"With that, I take my leave. See you another time, Asu-"

"Wait!" Asuna stands up and grabs Mito's cape. Mito looks over her shoulder, curious about what Asuna has to say-and Asuna herself can't believe the words coming out of her mouth. Not because she doesn't mean them, she definitely does, but...it makes her sound like a gamer. "Party with me again."

"With...you?"

"Yes. Kirito has said many times there's only so much a solo player can do, which given his tendencies to do things himself makes him an idiot, but...he is right. Especially now that the game gets more dangerous as we go higher and higher. And I... I don't blame you for what happened between us. If I was you, I'd probably do the same. That's all in the past now. So... Join us."

"...I'm not against it, I feel as if it is my responsibility to watch over you, but I screwed that once before. As much as I'd love to make amends...this should be a decision your party makes as a whole."

"I second it then," Koharu remarks without hesitation. "I don't know what happened, Mito, but if you feel that watching over Asuna is your responsibility, then keep to it. You scolded Jaymes for it once, now I'm asking you to do the same."

"...Okay, but what about the boys-"

"You're rowing the boat." Jaymes' voice is quick and sudden as if he's been here all along and decided to speak up. It does seem that way as he turns away from the cafe on the first floor of the inn and heads for the door. Kirito, standing with him, gives a nod.

"The party has spoken, but it is your choice whether you come along or not in the end. So...let's go, Asuna, Koharu."

Koharu obediently exits the cafe and follows Kirito, while Asuna lingers behind with her friend. She looks at her, her brown eyes pleading. "If... If you want to come with us, come to the west wharf. Our gondola is there."

Mito smirks. "I know, I kinda trailed you four last night from the woods to the shipwright. Jaymes almost caught me snooping outside the shop." So that's why he left the shop, though Asuna doesn't remember him or Koharu coming back in before she fell asleep.

Asuna steps away, looking to the waiting Kirito and Koharu, then back to her friend. "If not... See you around." Boots clicking on the floor, Asuna joins up with her party members and exits the inn...

xxxxxxxx

After leaving the inn, Asuna, Koharu, and Kirito ventured over to the Italian food carts. As they were lined up, Asuna's mind is preoccupied with Mito's appearance rather than food...then her eyes catch on to the players in the square to her right. Normally, the movements of the other players wouldn't bother her, but more than a few have moved through the square weirdly similar. They're all heading west too... "What is it?"

"Well, I was eyeing the fried fish meal…"

"No, I mean that." She grabs Kirito's and turns it to the right. Koharu's head follows, and they see the multitude of players running west. "We should probably go see what's happening."

"Right." The girls drag Kirito away from food, heading to the western side of the square. Jaymes wasn't at the carts, so he must've gone to the Tilnel already and waits on them. He probably knows the source of the crowd.

Asuna's assumption is partially true. As they circled to the west side, she spots the gathered crowd, up against the western wharf. Jaymes is visible, standing at the crowd's edge. For him to be standing there is one thing, but for this many players to congregate on a wharf that the gondolas don't dock... "…I have a bad feeling about this,"

"Yeah." The trio closes the distance to the fourth member of their group and his partner presses him for an explanation. "What's going on?"

"Well...our gondola, for starters. Look who found it." Twelve players stand at the pier, split between the left-side blue group of six and the right-side green group of six, and their leaders dueling with words.

"You still don't get how things work around here, do ya?! Listen, we found this ship first, and that means we got the right to investigate it first!" The one who speaks so rowdy is Kibaou, the spiky-head leader of the Aincrad Liberation Squad, one of the elite guilds on the frontier. His opponent is the calmer (in tone) slender, blue-haired Lind, the leader of the other elite guild, the Dragon Knights Brigade.

"You claim you found it first, but as the man in charge over there, you arrived two minutes later than I did. We've already started our investigation—why don't you save your baseless complaints for another time?"

"Baseless complaints?! No, you stuff that nonsense logic up yer ass! You don't get the right ta act all high-and-mighty when it was you who shoved my guard outta the way!"

"We're inside the town. You know full well there's no way we could have forced your man to move. These excuses are laughable!"

Asuna feels a large sweatdrop form on her head. They're not going to back down from their bickering as usual "…I don't even know what to say…"

"I've been here for a while, and words elude me still."

"In this situation, I think a simple ugh will suffice."

"…Ugh."

"...Ugh."

"Triple that 'ugh.'"

"While there's not much you can say about this other than 'ugh,' perhaps we should come up with a plan…Here's Plan A: We go back to the square, eat our lunch, and sneak the ship away once they've all calmed down. Plan B: Butt right into their argument, reveal everything we know about the shipbuilding quest, and get them to see the light."

Asuna draws up an immediate response to Kirito's plans. "Do you really think they'll calm down?"

Koharu hums in thought. "Well, the problem with Plan A is that you'll assume they won't wait around to see who or what is the source of the boat."

"Hmm. Maybe they won't calm down…"

"That's what I think."

"Which means we have no choice but to explain the entire quest to them,"

"…And you can imagine what will happen after that, can't you?"

"Huh…? What do you mean?"

"Plan B...almost didn't work well after you and I left the forest elf camp, remember? If anything, Plan B will make them angrier."

"Y'all aren't allowed ta slip ahead of us! You gotta help us with the quest until we git our own boat!"

Asuna's imitation of Kibaou must've hit perfectly, Kirito looks shaken by it. "Yep, that's definitely more than just an 'ugh'…And we're supposed to be tracking down that big gondola for Old Grandpa Romolo…"

"There's another thing that worries me, too. The boat is currently classified as an Immobile Object, right?"

"Yes," Jaymes answers.

"Does that mean it's also an Immortal Object?"

"Probably not, given what Romolo said yesterday to not sink it. Of course, that could be just words to enhance the experience with him, but something tells me it's not invincible at all, and we do have the horn attached like a raming device. Which is why I, as captain, hope the boatsman doesn't scratch it up again for a while."

"Actually, Jaymes might be right, maybe it's not labeled immortal. I feel like it's probably protected here in town, but I don't want to say for sure until I check the manual again…"

"In that case, we should probably move the ship before those people decide the investigation requires whacking it a bunch."

Jaymes snickers. "So Plan C: Burst through with force. Kirito, you prepare to row. Asuna, remove the rope. Koharu, we'll give them a slight distraction."

Asuna narrows her eyes but doesn't retort. Jaymes' plan is sound, so with that in mind, Asuna and Kirito wait until Jaymes and Koharu make their way through the crowd and butt into Lind and Kibaou's argument.

"Hi, guys, what's up?"

"J-Jaymes?"

"What are you doing here?"

"Let's go." Leaping down from the wharf to the dock five feet below, Asuna and Kirito break through the crowd to the pier. Jaymes continues his performance.

"Gentleman, the few ladies in the crowd, I have some news about this boat. The thing is..." Lind and Kibaou, interested in an answer, are caught off guard as Jaymes pushes them, allowing Kirito to break through and leap into the boat. Koharu follows him. Asuna pulls the mooring rope and leaps gracefully into the gondola. Jaymes avoids the two guilds coming after him, and leaps into the gondola and Kirito rows them forward in a hurry.

"H-hey, you there! How did you get that—?"

"The details on the shipbuilding quest will be in the next strategy guide! Just wait for that!" Kirito shouts back.

"N-no, you git back here! And…not you four again!"

"Lind, Kibaou, ALS, and DKB noobs, you shall remember this as the day you almost got ahead of the crew of the Tilnel, party of four."

CLUNK!

"Excuse me, party of five." Asuna looks to the front of the gondola, where hanging on for her life is Mito, who leaped from the dock onto the moving boat. Asuna quickly makes her way over and helps Mito gather her footing. She releases her friend, but the smile on her face does not cease.

"You came."

"I did."

At the back of the boat, Kirito smiles and welcomes Mito. "Welcome to our merry band of trouble, Mito. Now let's get away from the ruckus."

xxxxxxxxxx

And now this story is back on track for a while. I just needed a point to separate Asuna from Mito, and seeing that the movie itself makes it happen, the only change is that an unnamed group of people save Asuna from the Nepenthes.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

32.3K 341 12
Months have past since Asuna's death and Kirito is still trying to pick up the pieces, helped by his close friend and long time clearer Yuuki the two...
707 15 33
Throughout this game, there have been losses, lessons, and much more. To Kirito, however, there were now friends that he could look after. This final...
829 20 20
In the wake of Unital Ring's rise, Kirito, Jaymes, and their friends are threatened by a new enemy-Mutasina, a mysteriously powerful witch and leader...
1.5K 33 4
The new VR world of Sword Art Online enthralled all the people of the world, until a dark twist emerges. The Ten-Thousand players who logged in first...