A Tale of Time

De Jelly_Legs

Bilbo Baggins isn't the only unexpected member of Thorin Oakenshield's company. Another is recruited by the G... Mais

Chapter 1: Old Friends
Chapter 2: The Shire
Chapter 3: A Loud Bunch
Chapter 4: The Plan
Chapter 5: Song and Ale
Chapter 6: The Road Ahead
Chapter 7: The Shield of Oak
Chapter 8: False Foretelling
Chapter 9: Until Sunrise
Chapter 10: The Blame Game
Chapter 11: The Blades
Chapter 12: The Chase
Chapter 13: Books and Elves
Chapter 14: Dinner and Maps
Chapter 15: Whisperings
Chapter 16: Training and Talks
Chapter 17: Brothers and Bears
Chapter 18: Durin's Beard
Chapter 19: Prophecies of Rings
Chapter 20: Thunder Battles
Chapter 21: Test of Trust
Chapter 22: Down into Goblin Town
Chapter 23: Rickety Bridges
Chapter 24: To Prove Yourself
Part 2 Chapter 1: Healing Hands
Chapter 2: Worries and Rings
Chapter 3: Bears and Wargs
Chapter 4: Strands of Hair
Chapter 5: Honey Cakes
Chapter 6: The Elven Entrance
Chapter 7: Her Tale to Tell
Chapter 8: Violated
Chapter 9: Vision of Fears
Chapter 10: The Enchanted Waters
Chapter 11: The White Stag
Chapter 12: The Hair of Elves
Chapter 13: Pieces of Her Heart
Chapter 14: Days of Boredom
Chapter 15: The Escape
Chapter 16: Rivers to Barges
Chapter 17: Across the Lake
Chapter 18: The Days of Not Feeling So Nice
Chapter 19: The Weapons of Lake-Town
Chapter 20: The Real Weapons of Lake Town
Chapter 21: Laundry and Starlight
Chapter 22: Under the Moonlight
Chapter 23: Bittersweet Nights
Chapter 24: Poisoned Blood
Chapter 25: Visions of Dragon Fire
Chapter 26: Left Behind
Chapter 21: The Black Arrow
Part 3 - Chapter 1: The Black Arrow Part 2
Chapter 2: Returning to Erebor
Chapter 3: In Sickness and in Health
Chapter 4: The Arkenstone
Chapter 5: Fortresses
Chapter 6: Braids and Secrets
Chapter 7: The Dragon-Slayer
Chapter 8: Armour and Arrows
Chapter 9: Lies and Visions
Chapter 10: Battle at their Feet
Chapter 11: Come back to Me
Chapter 12: The Chariot
Chapter 13: Broken Leg
Chapter 14: Broken Promise
Chapter 15: Broken Heart
Chapter 1: The White Tent
Chapter 2: Faults
Chapter 3: Beads and Braiding
Chapter 4: Queens
Chapter 5: Guilt
Chapter 6: Something Sweet
Chapter 7: Feeling Blue
Chapter 8: Fear of You
Chapter 9: Farewell
Chapter 10: Scarred and Scared
Chapter 11: The Wait to be Heard
Chapter 12: Learning to Listen
Chapter 13: Flying Potato
Chapter 14: Arrow Foot
Chapter 15: Hard Water
Chapter 16: More than One Truth Split
Chapter 17: Hidden Wishes
Chapter 19: Cracked Spirit
A Little Bit More

Chapter 20: The Last Stand

3.2K 81 18
De Jelly_Legs

Chapter 20: The Last Stand

"Dale," she breathes. It is beaming with life. The markets are as full as the streets they are lined on. People of all ages wander through, the children running with their friends while their mothers bargain.

"It's lovely isn't it?" Fili says, coming up to stand next to her. "Kili and I come down here when we can. At first, we were just helping them rebuild but I love seeing what travelling merchants bring."

It is a chip off her guilt. Though the plagues on her mind had left, the guilt never did, and she doesn't think it ever will but being able to see them teaming with life helps her more than she can admit. They are much more well off then they were in Lake-town, both economically and socially it seems.

"We're almost home," the brunette sighs with content. The Lonely Mountain stands proudly behind Dale, no doubt just as lively and rich. Gailien grins, hardly believing her eyes.

"Thank you. I wouldn't have been able to if you both didn't decide to come to the Shire." Her grins dimmers suddenly as her legs grow weaker by the second. As her knees give out, her arms reach out to the sides. It alerts the brothers just in time to hold her from falling onto her knees, but her head lops forward, breathing heavily. The fall to a kneel, tipping her back.

Fili knows it in his heart that they really do not have the time to admire Dale anymore. Her eyes are sunken and dark, contrasting her Elvishly pale skin. A few people around them stop to stare, debating whether they should offer help. Gailien grips onto consciousness with a quite literal death grip. Forcing her eyes open, she calms her breathing back down.

"We have to keep going," he states.

"She needs rest," Kili protests. "We've been walking all day." True, the sun is now on the lower half of its journey, and the market stalls will be closing soon.

"I don't think she has the time for rest," Fili adds slowly. It will not be rest she gets if they allow her to stop.

Kili stares at his brother then looks to Erebor. "We leave our packs here. We'll be quicker without them." There isn't anything in their packs that are worth more than a few coins anyway. Fili nods in agreement, shrugging his pack off.

Gailien clenches her eyes shut, pulling her own weight up. Their hands come to assist but she pushes them away, turning onto her hands and knees. "I want...I-I want to walk."

Kili couches in front of her, cupping her cheeks. "You cannot."

"Don't tell me what I can and cannot do, dilthen er," she grunts, gathering the energy to stand.

"Then let us help you," he pushes, searching her eyes. "Please."

Gailien doesn't answer, only glancing to Fili for his advice and help. Fili sighs, shaking his head. "For Durin's sake just let us help you."

"Ok," she agrees in a whisper. Kili leans forward, resting his forehead against her before rising to his feet, pulling her along with him. "Your fringe needs a cut again."

"You can do it tonight if you want," he offers, pulling her arm over his shoulder. Her other goes around Fili, spreading her weight but allowing her to at least keep her feet on the ground. Gailien attempts to nod but fears her head will not lift back up if she drops it.

"You trust me?"

"More than anything."

"When will Maira be back in Erebor?" she questions, already feeling breathless as they reach the edge of the city. The long path to Erebor lies ahead of them. "I really want to meet her."

"I believe she is coming in two months' time," Fili says.

"I would love to have another female friend. Men have no sense of hygiene." Her eyes fall half closed, legs beginning to drag along the path, but she rights herself every single time. Fili hates the pretend – the pretend that she will be around. Kili does the same thing. But he knows this isn't the time to speak up about his own opinions.

"We bath all the time," Kili defends.

"Because I yell at you if you don't."

"You also yell at me for taking your food."

"Are you trying to argue in defence of stealing other people's supplies."

"You split all of our milk!"

"First of all, that was like, three years ago. Secondly-" Her words are cut off by a gruntled cry as her legs buckle underneath her. The grip on their shoulders slackens, forcing them to grab her wrists.

"Gailien!? Gailien?" Fili bends forward, trying to both hold her up and speak to her face which is dropped low with her short hair curtaining over the sides. "We're nearly there, lass. You have to keep your head up."

They keep pulling her along, even though her feet are dragging along the ground, not wanting to waste the time to readjust her another way. Incoherent moans pass her lips as she tries to search for the ground with her feet. What is the point of trying? She is either going to die now or soon. Thorin. Thorin is her point. Her reason to fight.

"Thorin," she murmurs.

"Yes," Kili breathes out. "Thorin is there. And he's waiting for you." Some part in Kili hopes that if she reaches Thorin, then somehow the fading will stop. He wants to believe that it is her own subconscious will that has caused her demise and being back in Erebor will reverse the effects. He just wishes that he and Fili would have been enough for her instead.

The name gives her strength. Strength to find her footing even if it fails her every couple of steps. Fili glances over his shoulder, just praying that somebody would ride past them with something faster than their legs. A cart, a goat. But any interested in trading have already retired home for the night, the sun now half-covered by the horizon.

It takes a painstaking amount of walking and time, but soon they reach the Erebor gates. It is guarded by around ten Dwarves, the large iron doors closed for the night but during the day they would be open, inviting all those who wish to visit Erebor in.

Kili spies one particular Dwarf who has been granted the position of head of the guard. "Dwalin! Call for the King!" Dwalin looks up, his mouth opening slightly as he recognises the princes and Gailien almost running towards the gate. "The King, Dwalin!"

He wants to save her. Kili's desperate call for Thorin is with the hopes that his uncle can save Gailien from the fate that has her in its grip, trying to tear her away from him. Dwalin breaks from his trance, turning and sprinting back towards the doors. "Keep them open," he commands, leaving the path clear for the brothers. His instinct is to run for a healer but Kili specifically asked for his uncle so that is where he goes.

Gailien's eyes trail the floor underneath her, noting how it turns from gravel to smooth stone. She can hear people around her, voices not belonging to anybody she recognises but being in Erebor is comforting all the same. Then she passes over a threshold and into the mountain. She looks up, her breath leaving her as she takes in the fully restored front entrance. The high pillars are polished and taller than she recalls them to be.

Dwarves wander about, pausing as they watch the two princes enter the palace.

"It's beautiful," she chokes out, her mouth hanging open, still unable to take everything in. The back-door slams open, the sound echoing off the large cavern space.

"I'm going after Dwalin," Fili states, slowly shifting her weight fully onto the younger Dwarf. "I'll bring you Thorin, alright?" Gailien nods, breathing heavily. The people in the main entrance watch silently from the sidelines, recognising the Princes and beginning to put a new face to the gossip and tales they have heard.

Fili sprints off, leaving Gailien and Kili standing somewhat alone in the middle of the hall. "We're here," Kili says. "We got you to Erebor."

"You did," she answers, grinning up at him with happy tears. "And I just want you to know how sorry I am. That this is the choice I'm making."

"I don't understand why you're apologising. What choice?" Gailien doesn't respond but he doesn't push, watching her eyes drift close. "No. Eyes open," he demands, tugging of her hair softly.

"Thorin," she mutters.

"He's coming," Kili assures. "You're going to be alright, once you see him again. You're going to stop fading."

Gailien doesn't have it in her to argue. Her head rests against his shoulder, eyes latched onto the large back doors where Fili went through. She can hear music, soft like a lullaby and Elvish. But it must be in her head for there are no instruments nearby, or any Elves to play to tune. "Should we go? Go and find him?"

"No," he murmurs, rocking softly from side to side. "You've done enough walking today. Let him come to you now."

"I'm sorry," she says again, though for something entirely different. Kili glances down silently, waiting for something more. "That it wasn't you."

Kili snaps his eyes away but presses a kiss to her hair. "Don't be sorry," he whispers. "You love him, and that's ok. It hurts, but I know you love me in a different way."

"I do." She smiles up at him, but it drops within a second, her chest clenching as blackness seeps around the edges of her vision. A strangled cry escapes her throat as her legs give way a third time for that day.

Kili bends at his knees, shifting his hold further down to gather more support. "Don't," is all he manages to say. The back door booms open, echoing through the entire hall. Thorin marches through, donned in his royal attire having come from the middle of a council meeting with Fili and Dwalin on his tail.

"Thorin."

Thorin's mouth opens, arms opening up in preparation as he picks his walk up to a jog towards her. "Gailien." Gailien laughs in relief, finally seeing him again and lets her arms slide off Kili who takes a step back, hanging his head low. She takes a few weak steps forward but with his fast pace, the gap between them soon closes into nothingness. His hand cups the back of her head, his mouth hanging open in shock as he holds her close. "You're back. My dozrada," he murmurs into her ear. "You've come back to me."

Gailien nods furiously, gripping onto his coat. "I love you." His eyes screw shut, lips pulling into a smile that only shows with her around. She just feels relief washing over her. Like everything is finally complete. Her fingers slowly unfurl from around his coat, knees giving in as her breathing slows. She buries her face into the fur lining of his coat, staring at his neck.

Fili notices it first, taking a sharp intake of breath as he watches her knees bend forward. Thorin frowns, feeling her weight grow heavier under his hold. He loosens his grip on her head, letting it tip backwards. A strangled sound erupts in his throat as her eyes blankly stare at nothing.

"Gailien!" Kili cries out, stepping forward but his brother's arm stretches out over his chest, keeping him in place.

Thorin's mouth is stuck open, eyes flickering over every inch of her body. "G-Gailien?" He falls down to his knees, letting her arms fall from over his shoulders. "Gailien?!"

"No!" Kili breaks down, trying to run forward but Fili steps in front of him, placing both hands on his shoulders. His breathing becomes out of control, gripping his brother's arms but his eyes are locked on her body. The strength of his knees leaves him, pulling them both to the ground, as he gasps for breath. Fili forces Kili's eyes onto him. Kili's mouth which has been stuck open in a silent cry finally breaks from its silence and he falls onto his hands with his head between his shoulders, chest racking heavily with a wail that fills the still hall.

Thorin looks around him, trying to find anybody that could tell him what is going on. Someone to wake him up from the nightmare. Nobody just collapses like this. Why hadn't they called for a healer? He blindly pulls her body onto his lap as he searches around for someone to help him.

"Help," he whimpers. "Why isn't anyone helping!?"

Fili glances over his shoulder. Maybe she was right, this is cruel. They brought her here just so Thorin could watch her die before even reaching him. Everything just feels like a failure. They should have left sooner, not taken so many breaks. They shouldn't have let her leave in the first place.

A healer walks forward, almost timidly towards the King and Gailien. All he has to do is look down and confirm what Thorin already knows. "My deepest regrets, your majesty," is his answer. Thorin pulls her to his chest, her head tipping over the edge of his arm limply.

Fili holds his brother tightly, letting him bawl into his shoulder. Kili's mouth hangs open, lips pulled back as he switches between cries and breathing. His hand clenches around his shirt, pinching his own skin. "It hurts," he gasps out. "So much."

"I know it does," Fili replies quietly. "Just breathe."

"I don't understand," Thorin breathes. "I don't understand."

Dwalin who has been standing back slowly walks over to the brothers. He kneels down, facing Fili as the youngest is clearing in no position to answer. "What happened?" he questions under his breath. Fili clenches his eyes but opens them moments later, swallowing thickly.

"She was...fading she called it. Dying. We were trying to get her back in time to come home. We didn't know how long... We thought it might save her, bringing her to Thorin." The lie is thick but one he says for the sake of his brother who had told him his hopes. It would only hurt him more to know that she chose it.

Dwalin nods slowly, rising back to his feet. He cautiously makes his way over to his life-long friend, sitting down next to him. Thorin looks at him with helpless eyes, rocking his and Gailien's body back and forth.

"I think she passed naturally, Thorin. It was her time."

"It wasn't her time," he growls, pulling Gailien even closer to himself, away from Dwalin. "She promised she was coming back. That she would marry me. She wouldn't break her promise, Dwalin. Not to me."

Dwalin doesn't fight it, nodding slowly and raises to his feet. He marches over to one of the head guards. "Clear the room," he orders quietly. "And keep it clear until further notice." The guard hurriedly nods, sending new orders to his men. Dwalin turns to another guard. "Send for Balin. And Dis."

Thorin rocks slowly, holding her head to his shoulder as the room slowly empties until on Dwalin and the brothers remain. His hands shake, one resting on the back of her head, the other holding her body up. Another gruntled gasp passes his lips as he tries to hold himself together.

Continue lendo

Você também vai gostar

11.8K 300 34
Discover the incredible story of a girl who, together with Thorin's Company embarks on a journey through the Middle-Earth to regain the former house...
135K 3.3K 70
On a rainy night, Emeryn seeks out Thorin Oakenshield at the Prancing Pony. Having been sent by Gandalf himself, she convinces the Prince to reclaim...
973 36 13
As our story continues, Y/N, the Scarlet Witch: Protector of Middle Earth, 13 dwarves and a Hobbit all face more challenges during their quest to the...
39K 1K 43
"The road goes ever on and on, Down from the door where it began. Now far ahead the road has gone, And I must follow if I can..." Pansy was an unoffi...