(REWRITING) 𝓖𝓸𝓵𝓭𝓮𝓷 𝓶𝓪...

By -voidheda

❛❜Wanna see a magic trick?❛❜ ❛❜Don't scare the kid, Shei!❛❜ °∘❉∘° - in which, a girl who attracts d... More

🄲🄰🅂🅃
🄶🅁🄰🄿🄷🄸🄲🅂
🄴🄿🄸🄶🅁🄰🄿🄷
🄿🅁🄾🄻🄾🄶🅄🄴
[ P A R T O N E ]
one, the beginning
two, annoying newbie
three, too many questions
four, a Bennett witch
five, four teens on a quest
seven, a strange garden
eight, night confession
nine, an old enemy
ten, Tunnel of Love
eleven, enchanted lotus
twelve, near-death with a water bed
thirteen, no magic
fourteen, a warning from Death itself
fifteen, Percy fights a god
sixteen, favourite daughter, but never son
seventeen, traitor
[ P A R T T W O ]
one, is it really you?
two, kept pictures
author's note

six, the outside world

671 26 6
By -voidheda

❝ Old ladies scare me now. ❞ 

☆ ☼ ☆

     "What in the Hades are you still doing here?"

Sheila cringed as she glanced up at her brother. Charlie looked like her mother when she found out Sheila had eaten all the chocolate in the house. His arms were crossed over his chest, his eyebrows knitted together, and a scowl replaced his usual smirk. This stare earned him the title of the Hepheastus' cabin's counsellor. Anyone would reveal all their secrets if he asked them. 

     Pushing herself up from the ground, Sheila sheepishly grinned. She knew what it looked like for her to hide in the forges and not join the others on top of Half-Blood Hill. Charlie probably thought she wanted to avoid leaving. While it wasn't a lie, she did intend to depart after adding a few more touches to the vehicle in the middle of the forges. One of the Stoll brothers had brought it three days ago, and Sheila hated to leave it to her brothers.

"Just making sure everything is good," she declared. "My bag's done. I said goodbye to everyone and asked Lee for some potions I left in the infirmary. I only needed to come here before joining the others."

     Charlie sighed, one hand falling by his side. "Shei, the forges won't fall apart if you're not here for a few days, and neither will this beauty. You know I'd never let Shane and Jake ruin it. Trust me. You can worry about your quest instead of us."

Sheila stared at him before nodding in defeat. She dusted off her black jeans shorts as Charlie picked up her bag, motioning for the exit. Despite the tightness in her chest, Sheila led the way to the top of Half-Blood Hill. Her eyes scanned everything they witnessed, trying to remember all the details if she was to get homesick and needed to calm herself. Camp Half-Blood wasn't home, but it provided her protection.

     When they reached the top of the hill, Charlie put Sheila's bag aside and embraced her. The girl was taken aback at first, not used to displays of affection from her brother. Usually, he would pat her head or awkwardly side-hug her and not utter a single word, but this time, he chose to show vulnerability. It was a rare occurrence for the Hephaestus cabin's members, though Sheila couldn't deny it felt agreeable. She knew she would miss her brothers a lot during her quest. There was no denying it. 

Charlie's hands settled on Sheila's shoulders as he let her go. He stared at her as if trying his hardest not to break. Sheila assumed that being the oldest brother forced him to carry the burden of worrying too much for all his siblings. Grinning softly at him, she waited for him to speak first. 

     "I know I'm not the best with emotional stuff, but I swear you better not get hurt, Shei," he said. "The monsters out there, they will sense you from miles away. With Percy by your side, the smell will be even stronger. Remember everything Luke taught you and the healing spells you learned with Lee. If you feel like you're losing control, imagine I'm right here with you, but above all, believe in yourself. You've been training hard enough. I believe in you. The quest will be successful. Michael believes it, too." 

He wanted to tell her to be careful, but the others appeared before he could. Charlie squeezed her shoulder before walking away. Sheila watched him leave, her heart clenching. Straightening up, she faced the rest of the quartet and faked confidence. If Charlie said the quest would be successful, then it would. With apprehension, Sheila waited silently for Chiron, the others looking as tensed as her. 

     The air shifted as the centaur arrived and gave them each a canteen of nectar and a bag filled with ambrosia squares. The camp's head security waited beside Chiron, his chauffeur's uniform hiding the eyes all over his body. Sheila didn't mind, but she moved to the other side of Annabeth after an eye stared directly at her. 

"This is Argus," Chiron presented, mainly to Percy since the others knew the man already. "He will drive you into the city and, er, well, keep an eye on things."

     Footsteps were heard behind them, and everyone's heads snapped around. Sheila grinned upon seeing Luke, whom she had yet to say goodbye to. A pair of basketball shoes was in his grip. The girls recognized what it was as soon as he got closer.

"Hey," the boy panted, his blond hair sticking to his forehead due to the sweat glistening down his skin. "Glad I caught you."

     Annabeth smiled at him, as did Sheila. Going on a quest without him felt strange, but it was their chance to prove themselves. While Sheila didn't consider glory to be everything, it still mattered.

"Just wanted to say good luck," Luke continued as he looked over Grover, Annabeth and Sheila, the two exchanging a grin before his eyes settled on Percy. "And I thought... um, maybe, you could use these." He handed him the sneakers, which the younger boy thought looked mundane compared to everything he had seen.

     Sheila's frown was replaced by a smirk, knowing Percy had yet to underestimate his new reality. However, he had been proven that nothing at the camp was normal when Luke shouted, "Maia!" White bird's wings sprouted out of the heels, startling Percy and making him drop them. The shoes flapped around on the ground until the wings folded and disappeared. Grover complimented the magical object. It brought a smile to Luke's face.

"Those served me well when I was on my quest," Luke declared. "Gift from my dad. Of course, I don't use them much these days..." He trailed off, his smile turning into a sorrowful frown. 

     Percy seemed at a loss for words. By then, he was almost as red as the strawberries from the field, and Sheila let out a slight snort. She looked at Thalia's tree when he turned to her, pretending she hadn't done anything. Her eyes were quick to go back to Percy when he thanked Luke.

"Listen, Percy..." Luke seemed too uncomfortable. A weird feeling arose within Sheila. There was a look in his eyes that she couldn't point out. "A lot of hopes are riding on you. So just... kill some monsters for me, okay?"

     They shook hands after his words to seal whatever promises Percy had given Luke. It was how Sheila perceived it. Luke then patted Grover's head between his horns and pulled Annabeth into an encouraging embrace. Sheila was the last in line, and the two embraced each other for a few seconds while Luke asked her to be careful. Like Charlie, he worried about her self-control and her habit of underestimating herself.

Once he was gone, Sheila snapped her body around, facing Annabeth. "So, ready to leave?"

     Annabeth nodded ambitiously and was the first to go down the hill. A white SUV was waiting for them there, Sheila's face brightening at the vehicle. Her feet almost led her toward it, but Chiron swiftly stopped her. The girl refrained from a glare.

"We have to talk about something before you go," Chiron stated as Argus followed Annabeth, jingling his car keys. "I assume Charlie already told you to be careful with your magic, but there is something more."

     The letter appeared in Sheila's mind. She hadn't thought about it since Chiron showed it to her, but with her imminent quest, the latter probably had worries to share. Noticing Percy had yet to pick up Luke's shoes, she picked them up and tossed them to the boy. His eyes observed them as he caught the pair. He remembered hearing about a rivalry between his father and Zeus and the dots connected in his head.

"I won't be able to use these, will I?" he asked.

     Chiron shook his head. "Luke meant well, Percy. But taking to the air... That would not be wise for you."

Percy nodded, Sheila watching his face contort in disappointment. He then faced Grover as an idea emerged in his head. "Hey, Grover. You want a magic item?"

     Grover's eyes lit up. "Me?"

With amusement, Sheila watched Grover take off in the air immediately after the sneakers were laced over his fake feet. He shouted, "Maia!" a thousand times, but it didn't stop the shoes. He was soon falling over sideways, his backpack dragging through the grass. The winged shoes kept bucking up and down, preventing him from doing anything. Chiron called after him, saying he only needed practice. Sheila doubted that would do much, though. 

     The only remaining people on the hill were Sheila, Percy and Chiron. The demigods waited for Chiron to share his words, Sheila hoping he would do it quickly. Leaving sounded better than listening to Chiron's speech for her and Percy. Sheila clasped her hands behind her back, mindlessly tracing the scar under her shirt. They were currently wasting precious time as they waited. The clock was ticking.

Finally, the centaur's gaze set on Sheila as Grover flew sideways down the hill and headed toward the van. Sheila observed silently as Chiron inhaled and exhaled as if contemplating if his words were to be spoken. A sword hung above his head, threatening to fall if he spilt too much information before the chosen time. It didn't help the turmoil in Sheila's stomach. 

     "Sheila, I know you do not understand why I didn't tell you about your family," he began, quite badly if Sheila could say, "but you will eventually. You come from a long line of powerful witches who have accomplished great things but are known to have lost themselves in dark magic. Your mother was a victim of the Bennett curse. Being the daughter of a God puts you even more at risk. Your powers are accentuated and grow stronger as you become older. More importantly, you carry a spark I have never witnessed."

Dread filled Sheila. She knew of her bloodline's curse, but to hear from Chiron that she was even more at risk made it all worse. "What spark, Chiron? If this is about my fire magic, I don't know how to use it. I can't summon one flame without causing a wildfire. My mom stopped the Hellfire alone. If someone has a spark, it's her."

     Nostalgia filled Chiron's eyes. "You are not the first Bennett to underestimate herself. The monsters will underestimate you, too. Use it to your advantage. The two of you will attract many monsters. They will come at you relentlessly, and you need to be ready for when they do. I know what I have said about using your fire spells, but it is time for you to try them. I cannot stop the blessing Hephaestus and your ancestors have put on you. Be wise if you use them. They can quickly turn against you."

"Blessing?" Sheila asked.

     "You may not be the bearer of Hepheastus' pyrokinesis, but he did help enhance the abilities you get from your mother," Chiron explained briefly. "You were a newborn when Hephaestus came to visit her. While you are not entirely immune and cannot set your whole body on fire, you have more control over this element than most. I understand your hatred toward him, but your father has done what he could to protect you."

At that statement, Sheila internally scoffed. If Hephaestus, or any god for that matter, had done their best to protect their children, Camp Half-Blood would have thrice its actual number of campers. Demigods died doing their parents' dirty work. Sheila lost a friend because Zeus couldn't even attempt to save her. He cared enough to transform her into a tree but not enough to do something to bring her back. Hephaestus was no different, even if Chiron tried to prove the contrary.

     Noticing her harsh stare, Chiron added, "Did you finish the reparations on your spear?"

Smirking, Sheila nodded. She proudly showed him her newly-made bracelet. "Charlie looked it over and said it was my best work. It took me at least a week without any sleep, but it's perfect. And before you ask, Michael did give me two more inhalers when I went to the infirmary. That makes it three with the one in my pocket. No risk of running out of air."

     Chiron appeared satisfied with her answer, though he was annoyed with her remark. "You need to be careful, Sheila. The world is more dangerous than it was the first time you left. With whoever is after you, beware of those you believe are trustworthy. Even I do not know what awaits you outside of our barriers."

He sighed, causing Sheila's features to soften. Over the five years she spent without a father figure, Chiron became the man she looked up to. It warmed her heart to see him care for her and her safety. It was a bit weird but still agreeable.

     "I promise not to be too reckless, Chiron," Sheila reassured. "May I go now?"

Reluctantly, the centaur nodded. With a grin, Sheila picked up her stuff and sped-walk to Thalia's tree. She didn't ponder Percy's questioning about a pen that Chiron gave him and stared at her changed friend. Thalia sacrificed herself so that Sheila, Annabeth, Luke and Grover could live. Putting a hand on a root, Sheila muttered a spell to grow a simple marguerite while promising to come back alive.

     She would ensure Thalia's sacrifice wasn't in vain and that the quest would be successful.

. • ° . • °

     There were many things Sheila could handle. When her father's heart was ripped out of his chest in front of her, she endured it. When she ran away from the monster trying to kill her and had to abandon her mother, she went past it. When her magic made her a pariah in the one place supposed to make her feel safe, she learned to live with it. When she almost killed her brothers because she lost control for the first time, Sheila tried to forget about it and worked harder on herself.

Percy's constant questions, however, were something Sheila could not handle.

     Since Argus drove away from Half-Blood Hill, Percy's mouth didn't close once. He only asked Grover about certain things, sensing the girls wouldn't be as kind to him, but his voice sounded too high-pitched to Sheila. She tried focusing on the blurry landscape outside the window, yet not even the trees could ease the irritation provoked by Percy's voice. It pained her to admit it, but he was worse than her younger brother, Shane. 

"So far, so good," Percy stated, taking her out of her thoughts. "Ten miles and not a single monster."

     "And you just jinxed it, Sharkboy," Sheila retorted, annoyed. Annabeth's reply was an irritated look.

"Remind me again — why do you both hate me so much?" he inquired.

     "I don't hate you," Annabeth denied while Sheila shrugged.

"Could've fooled me."

     Annabeth folded her cap of invisibility. "Look... we're just not supposed to get along, okay? Our parents are rivals."

"Why?"

     Sheila heard about the rivalry between Poseidon and Athena too many times to care about the story. It astonished her how petty the gods could be. The number of wars which could have been avoided if they didn't have such big egos was saddening. The tale of Athena's olive tree was entertaining, though. Sheila had to restrain a chuckle as Percy pointed out the people of Athens' liking for olives.

"Oh, forget it," Annabeth dismissed.

     "Now, if she'd invented pizza — that I could understand."

"I said, forget it!"

     Percy gave a slight roll of his eyes before glancing at Sheila. Noticing his stare, the girl shrugged. "Our parents aren't rivals, I think. I do think you're impertinent. You ask too many questions. Don't take it personally."

In the front seat, unaware of Sheila, Argus smiled. He didn't say anything, but one blue eye on the back of his neck winked at Percy. The boy frowned in disgust and incomprehension, slightly glancing back at Sheila. He was taking her remark personally, but considering he witnessed her throwing Luke into a tree after being sarcastic, Percy remained silent.

     For the rest of the ride, Sheila decided to sleep. She knew the quest would be demanding and preferred to ensure she was charged enough. Annabeth let her borrow her shoulder as a pillow, and Sheila put her hood up before leaning against the blonde girl. Finally, Percy's voice merged with the sounds surrounding them, and soon, Sheila was met with a peaceful silence she longed for.

It was rare for her to have a dreamless sleep, but when it happened, Sheila felt thankful for everything she had. Her features remained emotionless as she rested, the bumpy road unable to wake her. It didn't bother Annabeth since she was too preoccupied with her thoughts. She tried reading one of the books she put in her bag, yet nothing could take her mind off the secret Chiron revealed the morning before their departure. Its weight pressed on Annabeth's shoulders whenever she glanced at Sheila.

     Hours went by until they reached Manhattan. A soft rain had started as the sun let the moon replace it. Sheila was awakened to an unknown territory, her eyes scanning the Greyhound Station Argus parked the car in front of. All she knew about the place was that they were on the Upper East Side, not that she knew where that was, either. Grabbing her bag, she hesitantly followed the others out of the SUV.

Being touched by raindrops had never felt so refreshing, Sheila thought as she let the water land in her palm. They washed away the strange odour from the SUV while helping Sheila wake from her nap. She stretched as she watched Percy rip a missing sign apart from afar. Even from where she stood, she could see the eyes on the poster. They looked oddly like Percy's, but Sheila concluded that if Percy ripped it apart, it was for a personal reason. She ignored him and moved to stand closer to Annabeth.

     Noticing the braids blocking Annabeth's view, Sheila put them together in a single one. "There you go, you grumpy sunshine," she sighed as she patted Annabeth's shoulder. "Now tell me what's on your mind. Since we left, you've been acting weird."

Annabeth didn't move her stare from the building in front of her. She couldn't spill the secret Chiron told her after promising not to, but she hated hiding things from Sheila. They never kept anything from each other in their five years of friendship.

     Still, a promise was a promise. "I'm hoping we'll have time to see national monuments like the Gateway Arch. It might be my one chance to see any," she lied, the guilt eating at her.

It was worse when Sheila grinned and reassured Annabeth. "We'll make time for it. I know how much it means to you. Don't worry. We got... what? Ten days to complete this quest? That's enough time to sightsee the Gateway Arch," the former assured. She squeezed Annabeth's shoulder before walking toward the boys.

     Annabeth sighed as she stared at Sheila. She hated lying, yet, here she was, lying in her best friend's face. Glancing at the rain falling on her skin, Annabeth had to remind herself that there was no time to feel guilty now. Her issue could be settled once Percy's was. She joined the others in waiting for their bus.

After waiting an hour and counting the raindrops, Sheila decided she preferred Mystic Falls' bus. It took less than an hour to get from point A to point B. When she and her mother boarded it, they didn't have to wait long. In New York, Grover had to take out an apple from his bag and propose a game of Hacky Sack due to how long the bus was. Sheila had to force herself up as the quartet exchanged an apple back and forth. Annabeth proved she was better than them when she hit it more times than the other three.

     When it got to her turn, Sheila decided to show off a trick Michael helped her master. Kicking the apple high, she waited before twirling it around itself and turning it a sparkling golden colour. Annabeth high-fived her as Sheila tossed the apple to Grover, but her throw ended too close to his mouth. It took one bite from the satyr before the whole apple disappeared, and their game ceased. 

Grover's cheeks went red in embarrassment. His mouth opened as he tried forming an apology, but Sheila, Annabeth and Percy were restraining themselves from laughing. Then Sheila snorted, and they let the chuckles out.

     Finally, when they had calmed down, the bus appeared in view. The quartet lined up to the board, Sheila eyeing Grover from behind. She noticed he was glancing around, nose sniffing as if it had caught a strange smell. During his analysis of everyone climbing inside the bus, the girl felt her fingers twitch. She sucked in a breath, balling the hand that wasn't holding her bag into a fist so tight her nails cut through her palm. Annabeth mounted the bus before her, walking with the boys to the back of the bus. Hesitation made Sheila's steps falter, but she rushed to sit between Percy and Annabeth.

Stowing her backpack, something in her instincts told Sheila to keep it close by. There was a change in the air as she exchanged a nervous look with Grover. An understanding passed between them. Percy and Annabeth didn't notice, though the latter repeatedly slapped her Yankees cap against her thigh. She only did that when stressed. As Sheila observed the last passengers mounting the bus, she motioned to Grover the source of the problem. 

     The first old lady was scary enough to send shivers down Sheila's spine. Her facial expression gave away her intentions. Every monster had that look, except her clothes could make her pass for a human. She wore a crumpled velvet dress, lace gloves, and a shapeless orange-knit hat that shadowed her face, and she carried a big paisley purse. As she tilted her head up, Sheila wished she wouldn't have; Her black eyes glittered and revealed the evil her soul had been tainted with.

Clamping her hand on Percy's knee, Sheila observed as he scrunched down in his seat. She remembered the math teacher he mentioned once in his sleep, and by his reaction, it was easy to put two and two together. The two women following the first one didn't help the unperceivable shaking of his hands. The three were identical, except one had a green hat, and the other wore a purple one.

     "Three," Sheila muttered while touching her bracelet. "How amazing."

The three old ladies sat in the front row behind the driver. The two on the aisle crossed their legs over the walkway, making an X. Sheila narrowed her eyes at them and noticed their posture sent a clear message: No one could nor would leave the bus. It sent a panic rushing through her whole body. She shouldn't have hoped for the ride to go peacefully. Chiron had warned them about monster attacks. 

     After an eternity — or five minutes — the bus drove out of the station. It headed through the slick streets of Manhattan, Sheila wishing she had time to admire them. It was her first time in the city since she joined Camp Halfblood, yet she couldn't enjoy her new surroundings.

"She didn't stay dead long," Percy stated, hoping his voice didn't quiver. "I thought you said they could be dispelled for a lifetime."

     "That is if you're lucky, idiot," Sheila reminded. "And I don't know if you've noticed, but you are the unluckiest demigod alive."

"All three of them," Grover acknowledged. "Di immortales!"

     "It's okay," Annabeth said, though she didn't sound sincere. Her eyes darted everywhere around the bus as she tried to find a way out. "The Furies. The three worst monsters from the Underworld. No problem. No problem. We'll just slip out the windows."

"They don't open," Grover sighed.

     "A back exit?" she suggested.

Sheila shook her head, her hand gripping her bracelet. One move and the hidden spear would reveal itself. It wouldn't be clever with the witnesses, but it was better than being attacked. Her other hand was clasped around her necklace. She traced the M and B carved on its surface several times to remind herself they were there. Looking outside the window, she noticed they had reached Ninth Avenue and were headed for the Lincoln Tunnel.

     "They won't attack us with witnesses around," Percy thought out loud. "Will they?"

"Mortals don't have good eyes," Annabeth informed him. "Their brains can only process what they see through the Mist."

     "They'll see three old ladies killing us, won't they?"

The answer came from Sheila instead, who locked eyes with the old lady. "Kinda hard to say. They'll see us with weapons, but we can't count on mortals to help, that's for sure. Annabeth, maybe there's an emergency exit in the roof...?"

     They hit the Lincoln Tunnel, and the bus went dark, except for the running lights down the aisle. It was eerily quiet without the sound of the rain. Sheila quickly rummaged through her bag, grabbing one of the spare inhalers and half her money. She knew this wouldn't end well. Her instincts had been screaming at her for the past few minutes.

The old lady, who Percy said was named Mrs Dodds, got up. In a flat voice, as if she'd rehearsed it, she told the whole bus she needed to use the restroom. Unsurprisingly, the two other sisters said they needed to go, too, a pretext for the mortals not to ask what was happening. They then all started coming down the aisle. Luckily, Annabeth had constructed a quick plan to ensure they didn't get Percy.

     "I've got it," Annabeth voiced. "Percy, take my hat."

"What?"

     "You're the one they want," Sheila chimed in. "Just turn invisible, go up the aisle and get the hell out of this bus. But let them pass you first. Maybe then you'll have a better chance to get away."

"But you guys —"

     Sheila immediately shook her head. "There's an outside chance they might not notice Grover and Annabeth," she reassured. "You're a son of one of the Big Three. They probably already smelled you."

"I can't just leave you," Percy retorted, noticing how Sheila hadn't mentioned herself when speaking about whether or not the monsters would sense her. Chiron's words echoed in his head.

     "Don't worry about us," Grover interrupted. "Go!"

Percy's hands trembled a lot. Noticing the hesitation on his face, Sheila grabbed the Yankees cap and put it on his head. She saw the annoyed look he gave her, yet ignored it and forced him forward. Her eyes stayed on him as she ensured he escaped their situation. He had managed to get up ten rows, then ducked into an empty seat just as the Furies walked past him.

     The first lady, the scariest one, in Sheila's opinion, stopped, sniffing. For a mere second, the girl's heart stopped upon remarking the woman staring straight at Percy. Luckily, she didn't see anything. She and her sisters kept going toward Sheila, Annabeth and Grover. From the corner of her eyes, Sheila saw Percy making it to the front of the bus, just as they were at the end of Lincoln Tunnel.

The boy was about to press the emergency stop button when he heard hideous wailing from the back row.

     Sheila unleashed her spear, facing the monsters with a fierce glare. The old ladies were not old ladies anymore by that time; Their faces were still the same, yet their bodies had shrivelled into leathery brown hag bodies, bat wings on their backs and hands and feet looking like gargoyle claws. Their handbags had turned into fiery whips, and it was the first time Percy saw real fear in Sheila's eyes. It didn't stay long, soon replaced by anger.

The Furies surrounded Sheila, Grover and Annabeth, lashing their whips and hissing questions about Percy's whereabouts. The other people on the bus began yelling, cowering in their seats. Sheila groaned at the new problem the mortals were causing.

     "Sorry for you, darlings, but you missed him!" Sheila shouted as Annabeth yelled, "He's gone!"

Raising their whips, the Furies glared at them. Annabeth drew her bronze knife. Grover grabbed a tin can from his snack bag and prepared to throw it. Sheila swiftly breathed in her inhaler before pointing her spear at the Furies, but her eyes widened when she noticed Percy approaching the driver and the wheel. When the bus driver got distracted, Percy grabbed the wheel, and everybody howled as they were thrown to the right. 

     "What the hell, Sharkboy?" Sheila exclaimed as she grabbed her spellbook from her bag and smashed it on Fury's head. 

"Hey!" the driver yelled. "Hey — whoa!"

     He and Percy wrestled for the wheel. The bus slammed against the side of the tunnel, grinding metal and throwing sparks a mile behind them. They hurtled out of the Lincoln Tunnel and back into the rainstorm, Sheila cursing as she tried to keep everything in line. Her arms were in front of her, extended toward the bus's floor. A golden flame went under the vehicle, Annabeth and Grover busying the Furies once they saw what the witch tried to do. Groaning, Sheila brought her arms back to her chest, balancing the bus.

With Sheila's help, the driver found an exit. They shot off the highway, through half a dozen traffic lights, and barreled down one of those New Jersey rural roads where a river flooded. Sheila glanced to their left and right, sighing as she observed nothing apart from the woods and the Hudson River. Much to her dismay, the driver headed for the river. Even her spell wouldn't stop the vehicle's speed.

     As the scariest Fury approached her, Sheila shouted a fire spell and hit it with the tip of her spear. While the Fury recomposed quickly from the attack, Sheila tried to cast protection for her friends and Percy. Her words caught up in her throat when the bus wailed, spun a full circle on the wet asphalt, and crashed into the trees. The emergency lights came on, and the door flew open as Sheila fell to the floor. She got on her feet swiftly, motioning for the passengers to run out of the bus. 

But following the rescue of the passengers and the driver, the Furies regained their balance. They lashed their whips at Annabeth and Sheila while the former waved her knife and yelled in Ancient Greek, telling them to back off. Grover continued throwing his tin cans, and Sheila threw a Fury into a window as she flicked her wrist. A part of her was enjoying using her magic without any limits. 

     Percy glanced at the open doorway. He could have gone, Sheila inciting him to leave. But, as he looked toward his three new friends, he realized he couldn't leave them. His next move made Sheila roll her eyes.

"Hey!" Percy shouted and took off the invisible cap.

     "And here we go," Sheila groaned. "Can you be any more suicidal?"

The Furies turned, baring their yellow fangs at Percy. Sheila yelped as a whip slashed her arm, but she instinctively pushed the Fury with the green hat to the ground. A disagreeable sensation surged in the new wound, Annabeth and Grover giving her concerned and panicked looks. The red flames dancing along the barbed leather whip seemed to stick to her skin. It hurt so much Sheila had to bite her lip to restrain a pained cry. 

     Meanwhile, the two other sisters had hopped on top of the seats on either side of Mrs Dodds and crawled toward Percy. The sight made Sheila's nose scrunch up in disgust, but she couldn't focus on anything other than her arm. Annabeth rushed to her side, analyzing how deep the wound was.

"Perseus Jackson," the scariest Fury spoke, her voice sounding as if she had come out of a cave for the first time in years. "You have offended the gods. You shall die."

     "I liked you better as a math teacher," Percy retorted.

The Fury growled at him, momentarily forgetting the others. Annabeth, Grover and Sheila were careful while they walked up behind the Furies. They each searched for an opening as Percy took his pen out of his pocket and uncapped it. Riptide then elongated into a shimmering double-edged sword. 

     Swiftly, Sheila badly bandaged her arm, hoping it would hold itself until their problem was solved. Each movement necessitating her arm was agonizing, almost as if the red flames spread on her skin. Her heart started to beat too fast, but she ignored it. Picking her spear from the floor, Sheila stared cautiously at the Furies. They had hesitation written all over their faces, the girl frowning in confusion. 

"Submit now," Percy's old math teacher hissed. "And you will not suffer eternal torment."

     "Nice try." Percy shook his head.

"Damn, it — Look out!" Sheila and Annabeth warned.

     The first Fury lashed her whip around Percy's sword hand while the other two lunged at him. He didn't drop Riptide despite the Fury's firm grip. 

"I knew this was a bad idea," Sheila muttered as she ran toward the Fury, who gripped the sword in Percy's hands.

     Percy fought the two Furies on each of his sides alone while Sheila threw the scariest one into the bus's ceiling with a spell. Sheila stepped on a seat when it stood up, jumping on the Fury's back. Annabeth kicked its knee, causing the once-old lady to fall on one knee. Sheila planted her left foot on the ground, holding the monster in a chokehold. Despite her arm, she remained still while Annabeth and Grover tried to take its whip. 

As she strengthened her arms, which began loosing around the monster's neck, Sheila looked over where Percy fought the Fury's sisters. Her eyes caught one of them screaming before it exploded into dust the moment the boy's blade entered into contact with its skin. Her lips twitched upward in satisfaction. It was a taste of their own medicine. 

     "Ow!" Grover yelled as he grabbed the whip. "Ow! Hot! Hot!"

"Just grab it!" Sheila shouted.

     Another Fury ended up as a pile of dust when Percy's blade slashed its stomach. Sheila sighed in relief once she learned the one she held was the last Fury that needed to be killed. But her grip was starting to loosen, the monster fighting for Sheila to get off her back. She didn't allow it a chance of succeeding, a spell slipping past her lips to indulge pain to the Fury. It allowed Grover to tie up the Fury's legs in her whip. With his and Annabeth's help, Sheila pushed it back into the aisle.

Sheila gripped her arm as soon as she was back on two feet. Tightening the bandage, she hissed at the horrid pain, but watching the Fury batting her wings only to crumble to the ground was worth it.

     "Zeus will destroy you!" the Fury promised. "Hades will have your soul!"

"Braccas meas vescimini!" Percy shouted in Latin, Sheila understanding perfectly well what he had said. It surprised her how the words left his mouth effortlessly. 

     Sheila picked up her spellbook from the floor and asked, "How do you know Latin?"

Before he could answer and say he had no idea, the rain intensified, and thunder shook the bus. A curse slipped through Sheila's lips as she and Annabeth ran toward the exit doors. The latter shouted for Percy to get out as he had remained unmoving. With how his face contorted, he surely didn't need to be told twice. The bus didn't feel safe anymore.

     The quartet rushed outside and found the other passengers wandering in a daze, some arguing with the drivers while others panicked as they thought they were about to die. Sheila rolled her eyes, her hand slightly touching her wound. She retracted it instantly and regretted having done that. It burned, which worried the girl. She then realized, along with Grover, that they were missing something.

"Our bags!" Grover exclaimed. "We left our —"

     An explosion cut him off. Sheila subtly created protection above the mortals' heads while they ran for cover. She shielded her eyes, analyzing what was left of the bus. Her eyes widened at the sight of lighting shredding a massive hole in the roof. Yet, despite that, the last Fury alive let out a loud wail. Annabeth reacted first, shouting for them to run as the Fury called for reinforcements. 

Cloaking herself and the others, Sheila rushed first into the woods. As rain poured down, she shot one last look behind her shoulder. The bus was still in flames, and the people wondered how it had happened. A pang of guilt tightened around her heart, but she shook it off and forced herself to run quicker. They would live, but she and her friends were still at risk of being killed by vengeful Furies.

     Great way to start a quest.

________________________________________________________________________________

A/N⁓ this chapter annoys the hell out of me for some reason.

anyways, they are finally on their freaking quest. It took them long enough. But will Sheila be able to control herself the whole time?

i'm trying to write as much as I can, but I've been sick for the past week and didn't have the motivation to write anything. but now I'm back and trying to finish the first part of this book

also, what do you like most about this book as of now?

remember to take care of yourself and see you in the next chapter! :)

-voidheda

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

12.4K 337 21
---𝙬𝙝𝙚𝙣 𝙩𝙝𝙚 𝙥𝙧𝙤𝙥𝙝𝙚𝙘𝙮 𝙨𝙪𝙙𝙙𝙚𝙣𝙡𝙮 𝙢𝙚𝙣𝙩𝙞𝙤𝙣𝙨 𝙖 𝙜𝙤𝙡𝙙𝙚𝙣 𝙥𝙞𝙨𝙩𝙤𝙡, 𝙖𝙣𝙣𝙖𝙗𝙚𝙩𝙝 𝙘𝙝𝙖𝙨𝙚 𝙠𝙣𝙤𝙬𝙨 𝙚𝙭𝙖𝙘𝙩...
820K 29.1K 44
"𝑻𝒉𝒆𝒚 𝒔𝒕𝒐𝒐𝒅 𝒘𝒉𝒆𝒓𝒆 𝒕𝒉𝒆𝒚 𝒔𝒕𝒐𝒐𝒅 𝒃𝒚 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒑𝒐𝒘𝒆𝒓 𝒐𝒇 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒔𝒘𝒐𝒓𝒅" "Thread can be cut with scissors" ...
1M 33.3K 47
𝑺𝑼𝑵𝑺𝑯𝑰𝑵𝑬 ❝ all right, Sunshine, brighten up ❞ ❝ I will hit you ❞ 𝙞𝙣 𝙬𝙝...
103K 4.8K 35
━━ 𝐆𝐑𝐄𝐄𝐊 𝐓𝐑𝐀𝐆𝐄𝐃𝐘! ❝ i can't control tragedy, only my fear of it ❞ 𝙞𝙣 𝙬𝙝𝙞𝙘𝙝 𝙩𝙝𝙚 daughter ...