Children of the Metaverse (Pe...

By Cryptic_Fiction

The legend of the Phantom Thieves is nothing more than a passing memory to the masses as a year has passed si... More

Chapter 1 - Our Beginning
Chapter 2 - Butterfly Kiss
Chapter 3 - Tokyo Daylight
Chapter 4 - Phantom
Chapter 5 - Layer Cake
Chapter 6 - Sunset Bridge
Chapter 7 - Regret
Chapter 8 - King, Queen and Slaves
Chapter 9 - Blooming Idol
Chapter 10 - A Woman
Chapter 11 - Hymn of the Soul
Chapter 12 - Awakening
Chapter 13 - Will Power
Chapter 14 - Keeper of Lust
Chapter 15 - Blooming Mayor
Chapter 16 - I Believe
Chapter 17 - Out of Kindess
Chapter 19 - Specialist
Chapter 20 - Never More
Chapter 21 - Desire
Chapter 22 - Take Over
Chapter 23 - Infinity
Chapter 24 - I'll Face Myself
Chapter 25 - Life Will Change
Chapter 26 - Counter-Strike
Chapter 27 - Rivers in the Desert
Chapter 28 - Daredevil
Chapter 29 - With the Stars and Us
Chapter 30 - Towards a Dream
Halloween 2023 Special - What Goes Bump in the Night

Chapter 18 - Reach Out to the Truth

1.3K 27 10
By Cryptic_Fiction

The police commissioner watched on as, one by one, her force was appearing from thin air, beaten down but left relatively unharmed. Tapping her foot, she sighed. "Damn, Phantom Thieves, my force can't even take down a bunch of children? How far have we fallen?"

"Commissioner, we managed to tag Zenkichi while he was escaping!" Turning around, she shook her head, disappointed at Zenkichi being dragged by his arms thrown in front of her. "The others managed to escape."

Crouching down, she looked to her own force, upset. "Why Hasegawa? Why throw everything away to become crooks?"

Panting, he looked deflated, whispering. "You wouldn't understand. I did my part. The Phantom Thieves are long gong; I give up just, please. Leave my daughter out of this."

Standing up, the police commissioner got on the phone, waiting for a response. "That's out of our hands now. I need to call in backup."

"That won't be necessary, commissioner." A voice echoed, causing her to hang up. "You're outmatched in this type of fight."

"Who let you through?! Officers." A police officer whispered in her ear, making the Commissioner look surprised. "The Detective Prince, are you kidding me?"

"My name is Naoto Shirogane, mam, and it's clear your force is not equipped to withstand the TV world," Naoto says with a stern tone adjusting her hat. "Allow us to handle these Phantom Thieves."

"TV world? What are you going on about?"

"We all have different words for it, Tv World, Metaverse, Mementos it's all the same. Another world blended and woven into our own. That's how your force was taken down so easily. They have abilities which put your best men to shame."

"And what makes me believe a child can handle this?"

"We've dealt with this sort of problem before. The murder case in Inaba five years ago were frighteningly similar to this." She sighs, taking a tarot card from her pocket. "We had hoped that would be the last. But, rest assured, Commissioner, my team is already tailing these crooks. We will bring them to justice."

"To hell with it. Do what you have to. Bring him the head of that leader no matter what."

****

"I think that's all of them," Morgana whispered, putting his sword away. "We should meet up with the others and plan our next move."

"Agreed. Exposing us this suddenly, Adrian must be cornered. We're onto him, and he knows it." Joker states gun down by his side.

Agreeing to this, I began walking with them before feeling off. Looking over my shoulder, I flinched a sword coming right at me. Quickly holding my cane up, I stopped the attack as a young man with silver hair and glasses jumped down on me. Pushing him back, Joker and Morgana came to my aid. "More cops?"

"No, this one is different. What the hell! He's crazy strong. Who on earth is this guy!"

"Damn it, catching them by surprise didn't work. I guess you aren't called Phantom Thieves for nothing. Looks like we have to do this the old fashioned way, partner." Another one spoke, holding two kunai in either hand.

"You're right, Yosuke, just like old times."

"Who are you? Don't tell me you're..." Joker whispered. Tearing his mask off, he called on Arsene. "Persona!"

"They really do have Personas... We haven't had to fight a Persona user since Labrys and three of them. I'll follow your lead, Yu! Jiraiya!"

Yu crushed a tarot card calling on his persona. "Izanagi!"

"Two persona users. We might be in over our head here. What do we do, leader?"

Joker looked at me, nodding. "Keep on the defensive and retreat. We need to find the others."

"Understood." Tearing off my mask, I began running with the others, clocking my crossbow firing. "Sherlock Holmes!"

Yosuke began chasing us, leaping left and right, looking panicked. "No fair! You're running away and have ranged weapons?! Why didn't we think of that."

"Keep on your toes!" Yu yelled, leaping over a railing calling the first attack. "Izanagi Ziodyne!"

A burst of heavy electricity cut down on the tracks stopping us from fleeing. At least that was the plan. Joker grabbed my arm, letting off a grappling hook zipping off to safety.

"And they have a grappling hook?! I feel so vanilla compared to them."

While flying away, Joker took a few pop shots at Yu to keep him at bay. However, he avoided each shot cutting a few bullets as well. "Morgana, we need a quick getaway!"

"Sure thing Joker!"

Morgan jumped off, ready to transform, when a loud battle cry echoed out. A girl came flying down, kicking Morgana, sending him flying to the ground knocked down. "Took you long enough, Chie!"

The girl flipped over, hopping left and right taunting us. "I was waiting for the perfect moment, and it really paid off!"

"Joker!"

Joker shot down, rushing forward, knife at hand. Sidestepping Chie's attacks, he flipped into the air, firing off serval shots down Chie instantly. Turning to Yu, he raised his gun only for the two of them to clash, stuck in a stalemate between the gun and sword. Raising my crossbow, I tried firing, but both kept moving to make it harder to confirm my target. Hesitating, Yosuke took this striking Joker with a sharp and sudden wind attack knocking him down with a critical hit.

Backed into a corner, I gritted my teeth, turning around, throwing down a smoke bomb to cover my tracks as I went to help Morgana up. Yosuke came in blinding swinging, giving me plenty of time to avoid his attack shooting him in the back knocking him down. Just one left. Turning, I was soon met with a heavy cleave attack cutting through the smoke pushing me back. My persona had quickly come to my aid, dampening the hit, but Yu wasn't going to let up rushing in striking. Kicking my cane from the ground, I caught it going back and forth, blocking and parrying as many attacks as I could. Before I knew it, we were just like Joker in a stalemate. However, this time, I was adamant I was going to win this one. Dropping my cane, I ducked under his strike, catching my weapon sweeping his feet. Yu fell back, being caught by Izanagi. Before I knew it, Izanagi struck me with his weapon, trying to block the force that was too strong. My defence was broken, and I was sent flying into the wall collapsing to the ground.

Groaning, I tried getting up as his allies had recovered going to his aid. "Let's finish this team! All-out attack!" Bombarded with attacks, we stood no chance, now utterly defeated by a bad hand and used up stamina in our last fight as Yu let off the final blow.

"We should tell Naoto we got the leader of the Phantom Thieves." Losing conscience, I stared on as Joker was being targeted while down.

"Are you going to let them get away with this? After all, that effort you went through, are you just going to sit down and take it? Instead, fight back, show them no mercy."

My eyes pivoted as I saw him standing by, crouched down, hugging a hunting rifle. Long scurfy hair with one scared eye closed. "Uncle..." I croaked, trying to drag myself away. Holding a bullet in his mouth, I tried to scream out, warning them. "Jok-."

Walking over, he rolled me over, stomping on my stomach, making me cry out in pain, becoming winded. "What the hell?! Hey!" Chie shouted, with the others soon noticing. "What the hell are you doing?!"

"Stay out of this little lady. Your task was to bring in the Phantom Thieves. I shall bring this boy back to the Father where he rightfully belongs. Move along."

Kicking me, I rolled over, curled up withstanding the pain. "Leave him alone," Yu ordered, picking up his sword. "We beat them. There's no need for that! We're taking them all in to be handed down justice."

"Justice? Justice, what a joke. The only justice you need is the one between the barrel of the gun. Survival of the fittest is all you need. The Father showed me that, while I frankly don't give two shits about his eutopia, he provided me with this playground of mine. No one to intervene with the hunt. Either you move along, or I gun you down all the same." The three persona users stood against him as he smirked. "So be it, kid."

Throwing me towards them, I crashed to the floor, coughing as Chie and Yosuke ran to help. Yu stood over me, ready to fight. "We've dealt with your kind before. You're nothing more than a killer. We won't let you hurt anyone else."

The Uncle began cackling to himself, flipping the sniper bullet in between his fingers. "Believe me, you've not seen anything like me before. I am thou, thou art I."

A demonic corrupted mask appeared in his hand. The feeling was of dread as I could hear the whispers from here. Then, moving the mask to his face, it latched onto him, blood dripping as he jerked back, roaring with pain. "What the hell is he doing?!" Yosuke barked.

"Stop him!" I cried. "He's calling his Persona."

Soon a shockwave went off as a heavy scent of blood lingered in the air. Dozen of copies of the Uncle appeared all around, cackling away. Everyone quickly darted back to back, looking paranoid. "Don't tell me this is his Persona at work?!" Chie muttered.

Joker and Morgana slowly rose to their feet, joining the group in a defensive circle. "We'll back you up."

"We're trying to bring you in. Why help us?" Yu questioned.

"When someone is in need, the Phantom thieves never say no!" Morgana yells.

Walking backwards, I held my crossbow up, whispering. "Here he comes."

Sounding demonic, each of the copies roared with excitement, aiming with their sniper. "Let the hunt begin!"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

5.5K 129 37
Wilt: (of a plant, leaf, or flower) becomes limp through heat, loss of water, or disease; droop. (of a person) lose one's energy or vigor. After the...
67.1K 765 19
After a year of inactivity The Phantom Thieves meet with a new Persona user who points them in the direction of an old threat that has resurfaced. S...
643 6 6
In this world, there's no such thing as the Phantom Thieves. But even without the metaverse, shadows still stalk the streets of Tokyo at night. After...
18.6K 422 36
Persona 5 Fanfic A Persona is a mask - armour - of the heart when confronting worldly matters. A Shadow is the true self that is suppressed, a side o...