Malevolence

By StarlightCevans

Haunted by the tragic event that occurred, Evelyn struggles to fight her emotions toward the broken man she l... More

Writer's note:
Chapter 1:
Chapter 2:
Chapter 3:
Chapter 4:
Chapter 5:
Chapter 6:
Chapter 7:
Chapter 8:
Chapter 9:
Chapter 10:
Chapter 11:
Chapter 12:
Chapter 13:
Chapter 14:
Chapter 15:
Chapter 16:
Chapter 17:
Chapter 18:
Chapter 19:
Chapter 20:
Chapter 21:
Chapter 23:
Chapter 24:
Chapter 25:
Chapter 26:
Chapter 27:
Chapter 28:
Chapter 29:
Chapter 30:
Chapter 31:
Chapter 32:
Chapter 33:
Chapter 34:
Chapter 35:
Chapter 36:

Chapter 22:

382 11 2
By StarlightCevans

Please read the Writer's note before continuing to read this chapter.

Evelyn:

Ransom...didn't attend Harlan's funeral?

After he told me that he went to Harlan's funeral?!?

So he lied to me? ONCE AGAIN!

Oh! Now I am not just angry at Ransom, I am beyond that. I am livid. He lied to me – again! After he swore to me that he would never lie to me again.

'I promise to never lie to you again.'

Those were Ransom's exact words. He promised me! He fucking promised me!

"Are you still confused, tramp?" Linda jeers, smirking as she speaks.

I dart my eyes to Linda and exhale. She knows she is getting to me, but I cannot let her know!

"Would you stop calling Evelyn a tramp? She isn't one, mother." Ransom says irritably.

"But she is one. I mean," Linda shrugs. "how come she doesn't know that you, Ransom – her boyfriend – didn't attend the funeral? Was she maybe, cheating on you –"

"How dare you!" I spit.

"That's a bit extreme, Linda." Richard speaks up.

"Is it?" Linda challenges. "Because aren't you two supposed to be..." she points to Ransom and I, pretending to look around the room. "...close? Super tight?"

Ransom and I both sigh at the same time. I shift my feet and cross my arms. I am sick and tired of Linda's stupid banters. I am sick and tired of her mockery every time she sees me, and I am freaking sick and tired of her continuous mentioning that I am not good enough for her son. I know I am not perfect, but who is in this world?

Heck! My mother doesn't even harp on about how Ransom is not my match, even though she does not like Ransom. At least my mother accepts Ransom as my boyfriend.

"You two are supposed to be this 'dynamic couple'," Linda air quotes, "but I just don't see it." she pretends to sound concerned, as she smiles with her typical condescending look she has.

Oh she is definitely loving this! She knows that I am going to crack at any second, but I cannot let her get the best of me. I can't!

I look at Ransom and an idea pops into my mind. An idea that will make Linda eat her words.

"Oh really?" I arch a brow, curling the side of my mouth upward.

Without giving my idea a second thought, I step to Ransom, who looks up at me in confusion. I bend down, pressing my lips onto Ransom's. I make sure I press my lips hard enough that it makes me let out a moan. I quickly break the kiss however, before I get any ideas that will involve me taking Ransom out of the living room.

I need to control my hormones...

I wipe my bottom lip with my thumb, and I smile proudly at Linda, whose eyes are like daggers glaring at me.

I know this must be making Linda's blood boil, but that was the point of the kiss.

"What was that?" I hear Ransom whisper so low that I could barely hear him, and I am standing right next to him.

I look down to see Ransom is looking at me intently. He pulls his eyebrows in, but he quickly looks back at the pack of cookies in his hand. That's when I notice Ransom's cheeks have turned slightly pink.

Is...Is Ransom...oh my! Is Ransom blushing because I kissed him in front of his entire family?

Oh! That is cute – in its own adorable way.

It makes me think Ransom can be a prude sometimes, even though I know he is no prude.

"See?" I look at Linda. "Ransom and I are fine. No tension between us." I gloat, even though I am lying.

Linda looks at me with fury in her eyes, but then she look down and her eyes expand.

"What's that?" Linda points – but to where? To Ransom?

I gaze down to Ransom and I look at Linda, arching my brow. "This is Ransom. Your son." I say in puzzlement.

"No, you tra –"

"Mom!" Ransom scolds.

Linda sighs. "No Evelyn, I meant what is on your finger?"

I look toward my finger and I realize what Linda is referring to. I hold my hand up. "It's a ring. You know, a jewellery piece that men and women wear on their fingers." I tease.

"Don't get cocky." Linda scolds. "I can see it's a ring. It's actually Ransom's ring." she mentions.

"Your point?" I say with a clip voice.

Linda huffs. "I don't want you wearing that ring. It doesn't belong on you." she sneers. "Give it back to Ransom this instant!" she barks.

"But what if he let me wear it?" I raise my hands, pretending to sound confused.

"I don't care. Just give that ring back my son." Linda says through gritted teeth.

"But Ransom said I must wear it." I say, trying to convince Linda that it isn't a big deal – because it is not, considering Ransom made me wear his ring.

"Well, I don't want some slutty tramp wearing –"

"Mom!" Ransom reprimands.

Linda closes her eyes briefly, sighing heavily. "As I was saying, that ring is a family heirloom. You have no right wearing that ring." Linda snarls. "Now give it back to Ransom."

"Mom." Ransom sighs irritably.

"NOW!" Linda screeches.

"No." I simply say, smirking at Linda because I know that I am driving her crazy.

I know I shouldn't provoke Linda, but I am kind of enjoying it. I can see why Linda likes to insult me.

Linda's hands clutch onto the arms of her chair and I can see she is clenching her jaw. "Listen here you little slut," she stands up, "you better give that ring back to my son or so help me –"

"What would you do?" Ransom interrupts, standing up. "What would you do to Evelyn?" he steps in front of me, blocking Linda's view of me.

Is Ransom protecting me? Or does he want us to leave this house.

Oh I hope it's the latter!

"Son," Linda sighs, "this slu –"

"MOM! STOP CALLING HER THAT FUCKING NAME!" Ransom screams.

"Fine, then this girl is not supposed to be wearing that ring. That ring is special. Harlan gave it to you. If you want to give that ring to someone, then you should let a stable woman wear it. A woman you are going to marry someday."

I can still hear Linda's condescending tone as she speaks.

Bitch!

"Mom, she can wear that ring because I lent it to her."

I look around the room and I see Joni, Walt, Meg and Richard are eyeing me out. It's making me feel uncomfortable. I decide that instead of looking at the family who are giving me cold stares, I turn my gaze to the back of Ransom.

"How could you do that? You know this girl is not the one for you."

Oh my word! This again? In front of the family?

"For goodness sake. Not this again, mother."

"Ransom –"

"Just stop mother! Evelyn is wearing the ring, and that is not going to change." Ransom steps back to sit down on the chair.

I look forward and I see Linda's eyes are darkened. "Give. That. Ring. Back. To. My. Son. NOW!" she growls.

"Shut up about the damn ring already!" Ransoms shouts annoyingly, picking up the pack of cookies.

"But Ransom, I cannot just stand here and –"

"Yes, you can. Now shut up about the ring. I'm sure everyone here is sick of hearing about the ring." Ransom points to his family around the room. "It's a ring for goodness sake."

Linda shuts her mouth – finally! – and she sits back down, glaring at me, like she is looking into my soul.

I bring my hands together and I gaze out the window because I know I have eyes on me. Cold, judgmental eyes on me.

It is making me feel uncomfortable, so as much as I want to stand next to Ransom, I don't want death stares looking my way. So I decide to stand away from the family, but as I move, Ransom catches my arm.

"Sit down." he whispers.

I hear everyone around us start talking amongst themselves, and they don't seem to be bothered by me – or that could just be my imagination.

"I will stand by the doorway." I whisper.

"Rather sit." Ransom insists.

"Where would I sit? On your legs?" My eyes dart down to Ransom's legs.

"Yeah, why not?" Ransom shrugs. "It's not like you haven't done that before."

I open my mouth slightly, gawking at Ransom.

Oh there is no way I am sitting on Ransom, in front of his family. There is no way! Plus, I am also ang – no, I am livid at Ransom for lying to me, so I would prefer to stand away from him, and his family.

"I will stand by the doorway." I tug my arm away and snatch another cookie from Ransom's hand before I walk to the doorway.

As I lean against the door frame, the three detectives walk by and also stand in the doorway, right where I am standing.

Great!

I hope these men aren't going to watch my every move because if I want to walk around this house, I don't want them to follow me. I know I cannot go to the secret room because these detectives may discover that room, and I'm sure Harlan doesn't want everyone to know about that room. That's if the detectives haven't found that room yet. Which reminds me, I need to find out why Ransom and Harlan knew about the room, and not the rest of the family. Sadly, I will have to ask Ransom about the origin of that secret room, so I hope he won't lie about it.

Like he has lied to me about not attending Harlan's funeral.

"Ms. Evelyn."

I jump, nearly dropping my cookie, and I squeak as I discover that detective Blanc is calling me.

"Might we have a word together? I'd like to ask you a few questions about the night of Harlan's demise." he asks with the softest southern accent.

He wants to investigate me? Now?

"I didn't kill him, if that's what you are wondering." I bite back, my voice low.

The detective's eyes widen, but then he composes himself. "I was not accusing you of killing him. I was merely asking if I could ask you a few questions about that night." he says with a gentle tone.

Well I don't want to answer any questions! I don't want to think about that night Harlan passed away. It's going to make me bawl in tears. It's too upsetting to talk about.

"We can go to the library." The detective suggests, and takes a step backward.

I don't move. I just stare at the detective.

Knock! Knock!

"Hey! Where is everyone?" Alan asks as he enters the house.

Thank goodness! I can have an excuse not to speak to the detective! Also, I need to speak to Alan!

"They should be in the living room." Alan's assistant, Sally, answers.

"Sorry," I shrug my shoulders, "Alan is here so I guess we will have to speak another time." I say quickly, and I take a step to the left so that I am not standing right next to detective Blanc.

"Hi, everyone." Alan greets as he steps into the living room. "I'll just be setting up in the other room. Be ready in 10 minutes." he states and then walks toward the library.

Sally walks after him, carrying boxes of files. I hope she doesn't fall carrying those boxes.

As Alan's footsteps are heard in the distance, everyone in the living room stops talking and then there is silence. Tense silence to be more precise.

All that is heard is Ransom munching on the cookies, as everyone looks around the room.

I don't like the tense silence. It makes me feel like I need to leave the room because this type of silence makes me feel so uncomfortable, and I am already uncomfortable just standing amongst Harlan's family.

I look at Ransom, but I cannot see his full face. I can only see the one side of his face, so I am not sure what his expression is. I do know he is looking at the pack of cookies in his hand. I turn my gaze to look around the living room, and I discover that no one is looking my way – which means that I made a good decision to stand by the doorway.

"Funny Ransom." Walt speaks up, breaking the tense silence. "You skipped the funeral, but you are early for the will reading." he looks at Ransom, and gives a grimly half-smile.

I turn my gaze to Ransom, who I know is smirking, while he munches on the cookies.

Can Ransom stop eating those cookies? He better not answer Walt while he munches. Its bad manners.

Plus, I know Ransom will want to walk off all those cookies he is eating, which means I have to walk with him.

Wait! Why would I complain about exercising?

"And it's funny that Evelyn is here as well." Walt adds.

Wait! WHAT?

My gaze shoots to Walt, and I pull my brows together.

Why would Walt say that about me?

My eyes then shift back to Ransom, who does not even glance my way.

"Okay, people grieve in different ways," Joni says as a matter of fact, raising her hands. "Let's not –"

"You know what?" Walt interjects, his eyes still fixated on Ransom. "It's funny you are both here at all. Why are you even bothering? That's what I'm asking myself."

Ransom tilts his head, and I know he isn't remotely fazed by Walt's questioning.

"What's that supposed to mean?" Richard queries, looking to Walt.

"They know what it's supposed to mean." Walt looks at Richard for a second before looking back to Ransom.

Do I know what it's supposed to mean?

"Wait. Walt, what?" Linda speaks, sounding confused.

I see her tone has changed to softer and quieter, not like the banshee screaming she gave me.

I hear someone shifting in their seat, and I look around to see everyone's eyes shift to Walt.

"Jacob," Walt points to Jacob, "was in that bathroom, the night of the party." he points to the direction where the bathroom is.

I look over my shoulder, past detective Blanc and I realize the bathroom Walt is referring to is the one I was in, before Jacob knocked on the door.

When I was trying to get away from Ransom!

So was Jacob in that bathroom...the whole night? That's weird, even for Jacob...but if Walt's saying that Jacob in that bathroom, how would Jacob have heard anything?

Oh wait! The vents!! Jacob must have heard the conversation through the vents!

"Oh that's where you were all night?" Joni scoffs, narrowing her eyes at Jacob as she titters.

I shift my eyes to Donna and I see she is staring at Joni.

"What the hell were you doing the bathroom all night?" Richard questions.

"Nothing." Jacob says annoyingly, clutching onto his cellphone.

Meg makes a remark about Jacob, which Jacob clearly doesn't like, so they both call each other names, which makes Walt speak up.

"I don't know what any of that means." Walt says, sounding confused as he looks to his son.

"It means your son's a little creep." Richard ridicules.

"Oh? My son's a creep?" Walt rebuffs, staring at Richard.

"Okay, guys, just..." Joni interjects, raising her hands.

Ransom suppresses a laugh, which doesn't sit well with me. Is he enjoying his family ridiculing each other?

I silently sigh, wishing I could leave this house. Well, leave this family. I only visited this house because of Harlan. Besides, I could always speak to Alan another time, but then again, I need to make sure my name is not mentioned in that will in a few minutes time.

"Walt," Joni continues. "he was in the bathroom..." she prompts impatiently for Walt to continue speaking.

"Yeah, he was in the bathroom." Walt says.

Then Richard just has to mock Jacob for being in the bathroom for most of the night, which provokes Walt to get aggressive.

"Oh you know what Richard?" Walt throws his crutch on the floor. "You want to go?"

Did Richard have to insult Walt's son?

"You bet, Skippy. Let's go." Richard stands up.

Oh shit! Are they seriously going to fight?

Walt raises his hands, a playful yet sinister smile stretches on his face. "You want to go?" he stands up, and both he and Richard walk toward each other.

What I see next...is hysterical, yet silly and embarrassing.

Instead of punching each other, like I would expect, Walt and Richard get into a...slap-fight, which is done half-hearted as well. Donna steps in and tries – and fails – to pull Walt away from Richard. Linda stands up and starts screaming like a banshee again for the two men to "Stop it right now", but that doesn't work either.

I sigh, looking at the three detectives and Marta. Now I know Marta knows what this family is like, but the detectives? What in the world are they thinking right now?

Probably that this family is insane?

I look back to the two men fighting and I think, is this what the family want the detectives to see? A family that is dysfunctional? Well, actually this family takes the word 'dysfunctional' to a whole new level. I haven't even seen this family act like this before. The only times I have seen this family go crazy is when there was a 'Family Game Night'. Well, let's just say no one ever found out who won the game at the end because there was too much drama.

"Stop! Stop!" Donna squeals as she struggles to pull Walt away from Richard.

Instead of just looking at the never ending slap-fight, I look over to Ransom, who is...laughing?

Ransom is laughing at his family acting like crazy people? Is he enjoying this?

I sigh and cross my arms. I guess my Ransom was left back in the Beamer, when he kissed me so passionately that it made me want to be intimate with him – in a car of all places!!

Now I have to deal with the asshole side of Ransom. The side I cannot stand. The side Ransom becomes whenever he is around his family. I swear Ransom becomes a different person when he is around his family. I really don't like it.

"I've been waiting for this, my whole life!" Richard roars as Linda continues to screech to Walt and her husband to stop fighting.

Eventually, Walt turns to his wife. "I can handle myself!" he shouts aggressively, in Donna's face.

Woah! Her face looks pale and frightened. I kind of want to hug Donna right now, but yet I don't.

I dart my eyes to Richard, who is wincing a little as he looks at his hand, which looks red. I think Walt must have scratched Richard, which means one point to Walt. Richard: No point.

"Oh my goodness!" Joni mutters in disbelief.

Then I hear Ransom giggling. "We got to do this more often." he snickers, taking a bite of a cookie.

Why is Ransom just –

"HEY!" Linda yells, stopping me from completing my thought.

Walt steps back to the couch where he was sitting, but he remains standing. Richard walks over to Linda, and he seems to analyze his hand.

"Jacob," Linda points to Jacob, "We know where this is going. You were in the bathroom, next to Harlan's office, where he had the fight with Ransom. Now you heard something. Spill it." she demands.

Everyone in the room turns their gaze to Jacob, who seems to be breathing a little heavier.

I don't think Jacob is used to everyone staring at him because he looks uncomfortable.

"I just heard two things: M-My will, and then there was more yelling." Jacob straightens his back, his eyes focusing on Ransom. "And then I heard Ransom say 'I'm warning you'."

Shit! Jacob heard that?

Walt throws his hands in the air in triumphant, and the family stare, with their cold eyes, at Ransom, who doesn't seem fazed by Jacob's words. He just eats a cookie and looks at Jacob with a poker face.

Why isn't Ransom worried? Does he realize that his family will now find out he is not in the will?

"And Evelyn?" Joni speaks up. "Was Evelyn with Ransom and Harlan? Cause why did Walt question why Evelyn was at this house today for the will reading?" Joni asks.

I close my eyes briefly and then I dart my eyes to Jacob, and he looks straight at me.

"Oh no! She spoke to Harlan, but after Ransom left." Jacob answers, smirking a little.

SHIT!

"So were you, like, hiding in Harlan's office or something?" Joni queries.

I look at Joni and heavily sigh. "Like I would do something like that." I huff.

"Well come to think of it, none of us really saw you on the night of Harlan's party." Linda says, almost enunciating her words.

Oh I know she is going to love twisting the knife deeper into this.

"Well, I guess that shows you how much you pay attention to my presence." I retort.

"Is that so? Because I think the only time I saw you, you were walking into Harlan's office. Just to clarify, that was before Harlan and Ransom had their argument" Linda says, smirking.

Oh she's definitely loving this!

I clench my jaw – which stings – before I answer. "I left the office shortly after I entered it. I needed to use the bathroom. That would be the bathroom Jacob," I point to Jacob, "was sitting in all night." I sneer the last two words, looking at Jacob.

"But then how did you get into Harlan's office after Ransom and Harlan had the argument?" Joni asks.

I exhale quietly and I look to Joni. "In case you weren't listening to this conversation, Jacob was in the bathroom next to Harlan's office. So I was close by, I guess." I shrug my shoulders to try and brush off this topic.

"Oh really?" Linda snickers. "Well in that case, Jacob, what did you hear Evelyn and Harlan speak about?" Linda looks to Jacob, pointing her finger at him and then at me.

Yes, what did Jacob hear? I'm curious to know. Did he hear my entire conversation with Harlan? If that's the case then does that mean he will tell the family about Harlan's new will?

"I heard a loud noise, like something falling on the ground. I don't know if that was the table, but it was loud. Harlan seemed angry at first after the noise, because he was screaming, and that is when I heard Evelyn's voice." Jacob answers.

Shit! Shit! Shit!

What else does Jacob know?

My eyes look around the room, and I try to avoid a certain pair of blue eyes which I know are now looking in my direction.

Dammit! Now Ransom knows that I spoke to Harlan after he left and he knows I overheard his conversation with Harlan.

"Oh really? But what did you hear Evelyn and Harlan talk about?" Linda repeats, with her damn condescending voice.

I don't even bother to look at her because I know she is giving me a triumphant smile across her face, like she just beat me at her own delusional game.

"I didn't hear much. I did hear Evelyn say the word 'What?' a lot, and then I heard Evelyn say 'No. Harlan.' That's all I heard." Jacob stares at me, curling his lips up to a sinister smile.

Phew! At least he didn't hear about the new will.

"What in the world did Harlan want with you?" Linda asks, sneering every word out of her mouth.

I blink, darting my eyes to Linda. Now, I could boast that I am actually written in Harlan's will, but I can't. I wish I could, but I can't. Ransom will find out and then Harlan's plan to get Ransom to go look for a job would fail, and the will would be a total failure. Plus, if this family finds out that I am in the will...well, I don't want to imagine what would happen.

I decide to answer Linda with a different answer than my first choice. "Believe or not, Harlan liked me. He enjoyed my company, unlike some people." I brag.

"Oh you think he actually enjoyed having you around?" Linda bursts into laughter.

"Shows you how much you paid attention to him. Oh! And just so you know, Harlan told me secrets. Secrets about this family that no one knows about." I gloat with a low voice.

Linda's laughter subsides quickly and she's back to giving me death stares. "Just tell us why you spoke to Harlan. Did he tell you about the will?" she barks.

I look around the room and then my eyes fall automatically on Ransom. His poker face is gone and his cold stare matches his family's eyes all looking at me. It's unnerving. It's almost like he is siding with his family on this accusation.

I inhale before I speak. "Nothing that concerns you. Any of you." I gaze at Linda.

"But what was –"

"Does it really matter? In any case, my conversation with Harlan has nothing to do with his will. It was more to do with my novel." I lie – well it wasn't a complete lie.

Linda seems to study me for a few more seconds, until she looks away from me. "Jacob, remind me what were the words you heard, when you heard Ransom and Harlan fighting?"

Did she forget already? Well, she was probably blinded by hatred when she heard that I spoke to Harlan.

"'My will' and 'I'm warning you.'" Jacob answers.

"Ransom," Linda turns around to face her son, her voice suddenly lower and less aggressive, "what does that mean?"

Now everyone's eyes turn to face Ransom. Ransom however, still doesn't take his eyes off me as he places the pack of cookies down.

"Well, I think it means our father finally came to his senses, and cut this worthless little brat out of his will." Walt says, his voice sounding a little too enthusiastic.

Ransom breaks his eye contact with me and he puts his poker face back on.

"So I guess you're going to have to sell the Beamer." Walt begins, leaning down by Ransom's chair. "And give your notice at the country club, or kick whatever fashion drug you're on." Walt jeers.

Ransom turns his gaze to the ground and nods as Walt insults him. He keeps his poker face on, pretending to be interested in what Walt is saying.

"Because if you think," Walt continues, "that after all the bridges your burned. After all the shit you said. After everything that you put this family through for last ten years, that anyone of us are going to support you. That any of us going to give you – like dad like say," Walt raises his voice, "a single red dime, you're nuts!" Walt stands back up straight and he looks directly at me. "Well, at least you'll have your girlfriend with you." he titters.

I look at Walt briefly, but I decide to see what Ransom's reaction is to Walt's banter. He just rolls his eyes and I think he mouths the word 'wow', but I could be wrong.

"Son." Richard speaks up.

Ransom turns his head to face his father and almost smirks. "Father." he says with mock gravity.

"Did Harlan tell you he was going to cut you out of the will?" Richard questions.

Ransom raises his hands. "Yep." he simpers.

Oh this will be interesting to witness. I wonder if Richard and Linda will actually support their son, now that he won't have any income from Harlan.

Richard sighs. "Well he's done what none of us were stronger to do." he looks to Linda, who is looking at the floor in shame. "Maybe this might finally make you grow up."

I pull my brows together in confusion.

Grow up? What none of them were strong enough to do?

I cannot believe I am hearing this. I know Ransom's parents are not the most supportive ones, but I would have thought they would at least support Ransom now. Since he won't be receiving any money from Harlan, I would think his parents would at least loan him money for the meantime, just until he gets a job.

I turn my gaze to Ransom, who I know is slapped by his father's words, and he looks to the floor and sighs. I know he is only pretending to not care what his father said.

"This might be the best thing that could ever happen to you." Linda says, and I swear she is pretending to sound sympathetic.

Ha! I guess I over estimated Ransom's parents. They are not supportive of their son. They are both just like my horrible father.

"Thank you. My mother ladies and gentlemen." he gestures to his mother, looking up, and he smiles.

I know he is hiding his feelings behind that smile!

"Look, this is not going to be easy for you." Joni says with a soft tone as she speaks to Ransom.

I roll my eyes as Joni continues to talk to Ransom, like she cares about him. "But it'll be good. Nothing good is ever easy." she says, pretending to sound supportive.

Oh my word! I cannot take Joni's stupid words anymore! "Up –"

"Up your ass, Joni." Ransom...completes my sentence for me?

"You've had your teeth in this family's tit for a long time now." Ransom's voice is firmer than before.

"Up your ass?" Meg scoffs in disbelief. "Oh very nice you –"

"As matter of fact, eat shit." Ransom says, playfully smiling as he points to Joni. "How's that?"

"What?" Donna snaps. "Please do not use that word in front –"

"In fact," Ransom starts to point to each family member, starting at Walt. "Eat shit, eat shit, eat shit," he stops at Joni, "definitely eat shit, eat shit, you can all eat shit." he ends at his parents, who are not happy at their son's choice of words.

Well I couldn't have said it better! Ransom said exactly what I was thinking.

The whole family start to scream and bicker amongst themselves, and I cannot be around this family anymore, especially when they are screaming at each other like this. I need to get out of this room. I can go speak to Alan, while the family go at each other. Ransom isn't looking in my direction, so he won't see where I am going.

I use this opportunity to walk out of the living room, aiming to where Alan is setting up.

"Excuse me, Evelyn." Trooper Wagner calls. "Where are you going?"

I ignore him and I keep walking, turning left into the library. I spot Alan and Sally, sorting out papers.

"Hey Alan. Hi Sally." I greet, waving my hand.

"Hello." Sally nods.

Alan looks up from the desk and smiles. "Evelyn! How are you?" he beams, standing up.

"I don't have much time." I say quickly, deciding to skip the chit chat for now. "I want to speak to you before the whole family gets here."

Alan's eyes widen, but then he softens his eyes. "Ah! I'm guessing this has something to do with Harlan's new will?" he suggests.

I nod my head. "Harlan told me that –"

"That you are written in the will, but the family must not know about it?" Alan completes my sentence.

"Y-Yeah. A-Are you going to read that will out?" I ask, sounding nervous.

Alan chuckles. "Of cause not. As you were about to say, the family must not know you are in the will. So I have the previous will Harlan sent me, so I will read that one to the family. Besides, I don't even know where the new will is. Harlan did tell me that it will be in his study, but I didn't find any will on his desk or his shelves." Alan explains.

"Oh." I press my lips together. Maybe I should tell Alan that I know where the will is, but on the other hand, I also don't want to inherit Harlan's assets.

"Is there something on your mind?" Alan asks.

I bite my lower lip and I contemplate...should I tell Alan, or should I leave it? If Alan doesn't get the new will, that means he can only submit the previous will. On the other hand, Harlan's new will has been signed and it'll eventually show up, so I cannot hide the will forever.

Oh I need to tell Alan!

"W-What if I know where the will is?"

Alan smiles warmly. "Then you can fetch it for me. I won't read it out loud to the family, as per Harlan's request, but I will need to submit it to the courts for probate."

"But once I give the will to you...is there...any way you could...erase my name from the new will?" I stammer, shutting my eyes, and then open one eye to see Alan's reaction.

He chuckles. "Evelyn, Harlan wrote you in that will. I can't just erase you out of the will."

"But I don't deserve to be in that will!" I exclaim.

"Harlan told me you would say something like that."

"He did?" I crease my brows.

Alan nods his head. "Yes."

"What else did he say?"

"Not much." Alan shrugs. "Just that you are in his will, and your name cannot be scratched out from the will, no matter what you say to me. Evelyn," Alan inhales, "Harlan loved you like you were his granddaughter."

I sigh. "A granddaughter he never had. Yes, I know that, but –"

"But nothing. You are in Harlan's will, and you cannot change that."

"But Alan –"

"I'm sorry Evelyn. It's done. Harlan wanted you in that will for a reason, so can you please retrieve the will for me?" Alan presses.

I step back, exhaling and dropping my head. Why did Harlan have to include me in the will? Couldn't he just leave Marta to all of his inheritance?

"You should get the will before the family arrives in here." Sally informs.

I lift my head and slowly nod. "Yeah, I suppose so." I turn around and walk toward the exit, when Alan calls me back.

"I almost forgot! Harlan wanted me to give this to you."

I turn around and take an envelope Alan is holding up. "Read it when you have time."

I turn back around and exit the library. I make my way to Harlan's office, and as I enter the room, I halt in my tracks. The draw – which was locked – is open. Wide open.

Shit!

Has someone been digging in the office drawers for the new will? But who else knows about the new will, other than Alan and I?

I run toward the desk, kneeling down by the open drawer, and I look inside. I sigh in relief as I see Harlan's will is still in the exact same place Harlan left it, and it's still unopened. I retrieve the will and as I stand up, I notice a familiar letter, which has been opened, lying on the desk.

Oh wait a minute! That's the letter Harlan wrote for Linda. So does that mean Richard was in this office earlier? Was he digging around in the draws to find this letter? Well, if he was the one digging around, I don't think he would have known that Harlan's new will was inside the drawer. The only written word on the envelope is the first letter of my name.

I quickly close the drawer and as I step into the passage way, I hear Harlan's entire family still in screaming matches. Walt and Ransom are screaming at each other. Linda and Richard are screaming at their son. Meg and Joni seem to be screaming at Donna, and Jacob...well I think Jacob is just on his phone – like he usually is.

I really don't want to walk back into the living room, unless I want the family to start screaming at me. Yet, my feet are automatically walking back toward the living room.

I sigh and brace myself before I walk back to that lounge, but I turn my head and stop.

Upstairs. I can go upstairs.

Maybe I can do a little investigation for myself, while the detectives are downstairs.

I turn and run up the stairs, panting once I get to the top, and I walk to where Harlan's small study is. I look up the narrow staircase and first contemplate if I really want to walk up the creaky stairs...just to see if I cannot see any evidence of Harlan's death.

No one is around, so walk up the stairs. Go!

I slowly climb up the stairs to reduce the risk of noise, but it doesn't help in the least.

As I step inside the small study, I suddenly feel uneasy.

I really don't like this study. It's too small and confined for me!

I can already feel my throat starting to close up, so I'm struggling to breathe. I need to be quick in this small study!

I take in deep breathes slowly and deliberately as I look around the study. I fix my eyes on the carpet and I spot a few drops of blood, which has just made my stomach clench in pain. I quickly look to the small bookshelves to my left, and my eye catches a little notebook, a notebook I recognize all too well. It's one of Harlan's idea books for any future novels Harlan would have written. Now if I hadn't known Harlan, I wouldn't have known about the notebooks he leaves in both of his studies. He always places the notebook on top of another book so that no one would be able to find them. It would also be easy access for Harlan to grab and start writing down ideas for his next book.

So what if Harlan wrote something in this notebook on the night of his birthday?

I sit on the chair closest to the bookshelf and I take the notebook, opening it to the last page.

My eyes widen in shock as I read what Harlan wrote.

New idea: Someone switches the medication vials on purpose so the person taking the medication can be murdered in ten minutes. Ambulance won't make it time for that person living in a country home because ambulance take 15 minutes to get there.

So Harlan's medication vials were switched, so that he could have more morphine in his system, which would lead to him dying in 10 minutes? So did someone intentionally switch his medication vials, on purpose?

Does this...Does this mean...Harlan was murdered? He didn't actually commit suicide? Somebody wanted him dead? How can this be? Who would want to hurt Harlan?

Well he excluded his family from the will...

So does that mean – NO! Harlan's family would never try to...to hurt Harlan like that.

But who would do that? The only person who has access to the medic bag...is Marta.

Oh NO! NO! NO! Marta?

Marta couldn't have possibly switched the medication vials! She has a big heart on her.

But what if she is pretending to be nice to everyone?

I shake my head. I cannot think like this! Marta cannot be the one who wanted Harlan gone. There's just no way! But then who would want to hurt Harlan?

Just then, I hear voice getting closer. I look at the time and see it is nearly time for the will reading.

I lean forward and stuff the two envelops in my hand inside the notebook, and I shut it, leaning back against the chair.

I inhale and exhale before I stand up as I need to leave this study. I'm feeling cramped and claustrophobic. It's as if the walls are caving in, suffocating me.

I march down the stairs and I knock into someone. I nearly fall down, but the person I knocked into catches me just in time.

"Oh goodness! Evelyn!" Marta shrieks.

I look up to see Marta is standing by the staircase, and so is Lieutenant Elliot and Trooper Wagner. Which means...

"Are you alright?" Detective Blanc asks, helping me down the last step.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.3M 30.9K 46
When young Diovanna is framed for something she didn't do and is sent off to a "boarding school" she feels abandoned and betrayed. But one thing was...
22.1K 436 24
Mackenzie Mauney is JB Mauney's 19 year old sister. She travels with him on the rodeo circuit, but she has a small secret. She has a huge crush on Je...
31K 634 16
Kristi Hale is the personal assistant of Chris Evans and has a two year old son, Lorenzo. When the paparazzi catches them out at the park, Kristi's l...
4.1K 193 29
An undercover cop on the brink of an investigation with far-reaching consequences. A woman escaping a troubled first marriage. An encounter in a dang...