The Aspen Experiments

By CorrieGarrett

When seventeen year old Dara is accepted into an elite boarding school, her first weeks are ruined by a stran... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17

Chapter 14

9.1K 64 4
By CorrieGarrett

Chapter 14 - Ava

I was dreaming, I knew it. I was sitting on a motor boat, which I have never ridden, and John was beside me. We were holding hands, bouncing with the roar of the boat in our ears.  John leaned over to kiss me, which has also never happened. We kissed, not like it was the first time, but as if it happened every day. He kissed me for a moment, pulled back slightly, and then pressed his lips to mine once more before sitting upright again. As he pulled away from me he started to shake. His body convulsed like it had in the airport and he thrashed against the side of the boat. He hit the rail and pivoted over it, the weight of his upper body seesawing him down into the water. It happened so fast I didn't even reach out to grab him. I screamed as he went under the water.

I woke up on a hospital cot. I could see the rails on either side of my head, and I was in the half reclining position particular to these type beds. There were fluorescent lights above me and my head ached, but I was perfectly wide awake. I remembered Ringer squirting me and falling onto the pavement. I tried to look at the palms of my hands and found that I was securely fastened to the bed. I could move my arms from the elbow, but that was it.

I tried to sit up, and the restraints pulled against me. I could feel the tightness across my chest, stomach, thighs, and shins. The straps didn't feel incredibly tight, but they sure wouldn't give. I wiggled my legs, not much room. At least I could move my arms around a little bit. I took a minute to scratch my stomach and several other itchy spots. I hated to be tied down. It made me feel claustrophobic and very itchy.

The straps were neon yellow, I recognized them from the testing room, where they'd hung on the wall.

I was able to turn my head, and to my left I saw another bed. John was on it. He was still sleeping, still in a coma-state, I was sure. There was an IV next to him and I thought I could see a catheter bag dangling out from under the sheet. Why all the tubes? He didn't need something like that unless he was gone from this body for months and months. Unless... they were keeping him sedated. There were two more beds in the room, but they were empty. There were no windows. 

I don't know how long I struggled to loosen the straps, but by the time I worked one arm free I knew that they were 48 stitches wide and of extremely good quality. (Unfortunately for me.) But I did work one arm free, chafed and raw from all the rubbing, and now I could reach across and flip open the buckle that held it taut.  Next I did the one at my waist. Once I could sit up it was easy to undo the straps on my legs. I worked as fast as I could.

I'd noticed while I waited and wiggled that there was a video camera in the corner of the room. I had no way of knowing whether Shammas or Ringer was watching me. I half expected one of them to run in and squirt me again at any moment, but it hadn't happened yet.

I'd made plans while I worked my way free. I didn't waste any time gazing at John. I ran over to his bed and pulled the needle from his arm. I whipped a Kleenex from my pocket that I'd grabbed at the airport, pressed it against the blood welling up. I pulled the rubber band from my hair with the other hand, and slid it up his arm until it held the Kleenex in place. I didn't know if that was really necessary, but I wasn't going to be around while he woke up. If he woke up.

I ran to the door. It opened onto a familiar hallway. The door to Dr. Shammas' office, where I'd been so many times, was a few doors away on my left. The door to the testing room was at the end of the hallway. Good. I knew exactly where I was in the administration building. I'd been half afraid they'd taken me somewhere off campus.  Most of the doors in this hall had rectangular windows, dark and empty, but the testing room was lit.  Were they preparing it for me?

To my right, at the other end of the hallway, sat the lobby and the front doors.

I stepped out tentatively, feeling exposed and obvious. No one was in the hallway. No one burst out of the office or the testing room. Everything looked bright and normal. I could hear the buzz of the fluorescent lights. The normalcy felt like a trap.

I wanted to sprint down the hall to the front doors, but my tennis shoes would be squeaky on the linoleum floor. I opted for quiet, walking carefully but quickly.  My legs were taut with stress. I had to force myself not to walk on tiptoe. It didn't help much.

I was nearly to the end of the corridor when I heard the cry. It was short and sharp, like a dog yelping in pain. It came from the other end of the hallway. Probably the testing room.

My heart froze for the second time today. They weren't prepping the test room for me, they already had somebody in it. Ava. It must be Ava. Mr. Ringer had said Ava or I could solve his problem. I'd been so crazed by his threats and John's seizure that I hadn't thought of her again. But of course she would have been easy to pick up, living so close to the school. Had they threatened her too, or did she still trust Dr. Shammas?

I had to see. I couldn't leave her in there. The sound of her pain still lingered in my ears. Whatever she thought she signed up for, it wasn't that. Were they forcing her to live through something awful?

I was halfway back down the hall by the time I'd decided to check on her. I knew I was risking capture again, but I had good reason to hope she was alone in the room. Shammas and Ringer always stayed in the office during my tests. The camera in the corner would be focused on the chair, but I could look in from the doorway and see what was happening, without standing in front of the camera.

I stopped outside the testing room door and looked through the window. I could see the end of the chair and I recognized Ava's black boots dangling just beyond the footrest. She was there.

I didn't think anyone else was in there, but what if they were? I wished for the first time in my life that I had some sort of weapon. I grabbed my keys out of my pocket and put them between my fingers, points outward. I learned it in a self-defense class. I doubted I could do any real damage, but it made me feel a little better. 

I swung the door open, staying in the hall. I hoped I could wake her up and get her to come out before the men next door realized I was here. I would get Ava away and then find the nearest phone and call 911.

But the sight I saw when I opened the door destroyed my plans. Both Mr. Ringer and Dr. Shammas were in the room. They had their backs to me. They were digging in one of the many cabinets against the wall. It was filled with beeping electronics, lots of red lights.

Ava was in the chair, her straight blue hair tangled and rough, her eyes and mouth open. Blood glistened on her chin, neck, and on her shirt. It was still wet and red. She wasn't moving.  Her body was slumped in an odd way, as if she had arched up in the chair and then slid half out of it before her body relaxed. Neon yellow straps held her in place. Only 48 stitches. She didn't look like she was breathing. She looked dead.

I needed to throw up. I needed to scream. But instead I let the door swing back shut. I felt my heart start pounding.

Then I ran.

I pelted down the hallway to the front of the building. I slammed the door open at the end and jumped down the three steps that led to the lobby. I nearly turned an ankle. No one was at the receptionist's desk, of course, as it was spring break. I grabbed the phone and dialed 911. Dee DEE DEE - I heard the three disconnect tones in frustration. I'd forgotten to dial 9 to get out of the school phone system. I slammed the receiver down and picked it up dialing 9 911.  Dee DEE DEEE. 

"Nooo!"

I ran down a different hallway glancing in doors to see if I could find anyone. Didn't anyone work over spring break? Surely some teacher came in to do grading or something....

As I rounded a corner I ran smack into Mrs. Webster. She dropped the legal files she was holding and they scattered across the hallway.

"Mrs. Webster! Oh my gosh. Ava is hurt! They might have killed her! Call the police." I was panting from hysteria and from running.

"Look what you made me do." She knelt to the floor. "You should know better than running inside. What are you, five years old?"

"Mrs. Webster, I need your help. A student has been injured." I tried again more calmly. "She's in the infirmary. She might be dead."

"If she's in the infirmary then I'm sure Dr. Shammas is aware of her condition. You should return to your classes -" She stopped, realizing it was spring break. "What are you doing here anyway?"

"They've killed Ava!" Now I was angry. Talk about bureaucracy. "Mr. Ringer forcibly dragged me away from the airport, he's got John strapped down in a coma, and I saw Ava with blood coming all out of her mouth strapped in a chair! Tell me how to call 911."

"Well, come on. I'll give them a call and see if everything is all right." She brushed past me.

"ARE YOU STUPID!" I yelled at her. "Don't call THEM! Fine whatever - call them. But I'm calling the police!"  She finally stopped. She turned back to look at me with fear in her eyes.

"You don't mean... You don't think they - they did it on purpose? Is that what you're saying?" Ms. Webster stuttered. "Mr. Ringer is a little creepy, but... Come to my office, we'll lock ourselves in."

There was a window to her office, which made me feel vulnerable. Mrs. Webster dialed out and in a breathless voice said: "Hello? I need to report a possible murder! I'm the guidance counselor at Rosemary Choate, and a young woman has just seen some things...yes we'll be right here, the administration building. Please hurry, and be careful, they may be dangerous...Dr. Shammas, and Mr. Ringer...thank you!"

She turned back to me. "Dara? I need to go outside to point them in the right direction. Can you stay here?" I agreed to stay if she would lock the door. I went and sat in the corner least visible from the door - I wasn't very confident in the deterrence of a lock. I leaned my head back and closed my eyes. Almost immediately I saw my tunnel. The pull was so strong... I couldn't resist.

This time I smelled. It was dark and it smelled of a gas fire, people were screaming. I felt a strange rumbling and then something like an earthquake. Everything shook.

 "Oh no," I thought. "Could this be...?"

 I heard someone say,"Get out to Trinity... keep going to Broadway."

I knew about this. The world trade center, on 9-11. I tried to run with the others; something hit me in the arm, burning it's way into me.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

305 49 14
It would've been a normal Friday. Weekend plans. Chemistry tests. Relationship rumors. Choir drama. But, on that day, at 9:10 a.m., all 1,484 student...
16.2K 165 33
She's a victim of anger issues, he's a rulebreaker. Together, they go through many obstacles during their first semester at Eden Hall Academy. With h...
Clone Secret By Bailey

Science Fiction

24.2K 6.3K 42
A tragic day when Lacy's best friend Terry moves away unexpectedly. One day Lacy finds out she is coming back for all of winter break. She thought th...
10K 1.2K 40
"𝗪𝗵𝗮𝘁 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗳𝘂𝗰𝗸..." 𝗜 𝗵𝗲𝗮𝗿𝗱 𝗮𝗯𝗼𝘃𝗲 𝗺𝗲. 𝗜 𝘀𝗹𝗼𝘄𝗹𝘆 𝗿𝗲𝗺𝗼𝘃𝗲𝗱 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗮𝗽𝗸𝗶𝗻 𝘁𝗵𝗮𝘁 𝘄𝗮𝘀 𝗼𝗻 𝗺𝘆 𝗳𝗮𝗰𝗲 �...