Sherlock Holmes: A Study in L...

By EricaSnowden1

Sarah Cook- a normal girl who happens to be somewhat of a closet genius. What would happen if she stepped int... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13- Part 2
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
A/N
Happy Holidays everyone!
Letters from Holmes?

Chapter 13- Part 1

6.5K 203 38
By EricaSnowden1

Yep, you read that right: Part 1. This chapter is so long that I had to split it into two parts haha.

What's happened to Sarah? Where is she? All will be revealed. Muhahaha!

I really hope you enjoy it because it stressed me out slightly while I was writing this and I worked really hard to try and make this enjoyable for you guys.

My hearing returned first. The distant sound of water sloshing around like the sea on the shore filled my ears but I got the feeling that I was far away from an island paradise. I could feel the hairs on my arms and the back of my neck stand up as footsteps approached, the sound filled with purpose. I heard a heavy door somewhere to my left strain as it was pushed open with force.

"Well, well..." a strong male, Northern Irish accent spoke amidst the darkness, which, I assumed, was synthesised because I could feel a pressure on my eyelids. "Look what the cats dragged in."

"What day is it? Where am I?" I questioned groggily, attempting to keep my voice strong and steady, making sure to leave no clue of how scared I actually was.

"You've been here for a few days- under a light sedative of course. Wouldn't want to give the game away." he said. "Lift it." the voice spoke again, presumably not to me. All of a sudden the pressure was lifted from my eyes. When my eyes adjusted to the blinding light I found that I was in a completely metal room that looked to be perfectly square. Stale water was dripping from the drainage pipes hanging overhead, luckily I was sat in one of the very few spots that didn't have a small puddle of water under it. The man that had been speaking was stood in front of me and I couldn't believe what I was seeing. It was Jim. From the hospital but now, instead of his casual office clothes, he was wearing an extremely expensive looking suit and the London accent that overlay the Irish one had gone. I knew there was something wrong with him.

"You." I said slightly aggressively. I tried to move but my arms were tied together behind the wooden chair I was sat on, or, should I say, trapped to. My ankles had been tied to the legs of the furniture as well.

"Yes. It's a bit of a surprise, isn't it?" Jim (if that actually was his name) said as he meandered around the room.

"Not really."

"Oh?"

"I knew there was something fishy about you from the moment you stepped into the lab."

"Did you now?"

"Yes, because no matter how hard you try, dear Jim, a disguise is always a self- portrait.". He chuckled at my words,

"I have a friend who feels the same way," he spoke in an amused tone, "But she isn't as dependant as you are."

"Who said I was dependant?"

"I did. The way you cling to John... And Sherlock. It's a wonder you haven't become permanently attached!" The glee in his voice sent shivers down my spine.

"You're a psycho." I stated; almost immediately he nodded in agreement.

"Indeed I am... And that's why you're going to do as I say."

"What for? You aren't going to gain anything from getting me to make you a sandwich." I snickered

"You don't want to be making jokes like that when there's so much at stake, my dear."

"Well I hardly think food is something to make such a bi-"

"I'm not talking about sandwiches!" he exclaimed, "I'm talking about your little friend here.". Just then  the door opened again and in came John wearing a parka coat, being poked forward by an armed guard. As soon as I saw him I jerked away from the chair in a failed attempt to get to him.

"John!" I half whispered, half shouted

"Sarah! Don't worry, I'm ok." John said

"And it's not just him you should be worried about." Jim continued his earlier conversation with me, forcing me to look away from John. Two of Jim's thugs came forward and cut my bindings freeing me of my seat. I was up in a flash and attempted to launch myself at the Irishman, but to no prevail. The men that had let me free now held me steady with a hand on either shoulder and a hand wrapped around each wrist. "It's you as well.". Another man stepped into the room with an exact replica of the parka that John was wearing. "You see these coats are loaded with c-4. One wrong move..." he said as the three men around me fought to get the coat onto my body as I struggled in their grasp, eventually they succeeded and I was enveloped with a blanket of explosives, "... BOOM!" Jim gestured with his hands. "Leave them both here until I'm ready for them." he said absentmindedly to one of his goons. They then proceeded forcefully shove John to the floor, leave the room and lock the door. As soon as they'd left I was on my knees by John's side making sure he was ok.

It felt as though we had been there for hours when me and John finally heard voices. We rose from our places on the uncomfortable concrete floor when the door opened and Jim and two other men carrying rifles aimed directly at mine and John's chest came in. "Put these in," Jim said nonchalantly, handing us each a set of in ear headsets with a battery pack, "And follow my instructions precisely or I will obliterate you both.". We did as he said and he left the room.

"What do you think he's doing?" John asked, panic fringing his voice

"I don't know, and I don't like not knowing." I answered in the same tone. John laughed shakily

"You and Sherlock should be identical twins.". I was about to reply when another man came into our prison and Jim's voice sounded through my earphone:

"Follow the guard.". We did as we were told and the guard lead us through an elaborate set of tunnels, up; into a swimming pool changing room and stopped when we got to the door. Through the thin wood I could hear Sherlock's voice echo around what I presumed was the main pool.

"Brought you a little getting to know you present! Oh, that's what it's all been for, hasn't it? All your little puzzles; making me dance- all to distract me from this." his voice bellowed.

"Go through the doors, stand facing your dear friend and repeat exactly what I say." Jim's voice in my ear made me jump slightly, I was too focused on the fact that Sherlock was so close to us. Safety was just beyond that door but then my mind returned to the current situation. If I even thought about running for it I'd be a splat mark on the wall. I looked across at John to make sure he was coming with me. He seemed to have the same idea and looked at me with concern before we both put a hand on the exit in front of us and pushed.

Once out of the changing room we turned to our left and stood face to face with Sherlock. I tried desperately to convey my fear through my eyes. "Repeat after me John: Evening!" Jim exclaimed with joy in our ears, John was having none of it. Knowing that he had to say it or we'd be dead John repeated what Jim had said but with the tone of a dead man walking. This got Sherlock's attention. He was now gaping over his shoulder at the two of us. "Now, Sarah: This is at turn- up, isn't it Sherlock?!". Again, I repeated but almost choked on my emotions when I said his name. This psychopath was dangling us right in front of Sherlock's nose, using us as bait. And it was working.

"John. Sarah. What the hell...?" he said softly, his eyes flicking from me to John and then back again. Jim said something that I didn't catch, I was too busy trying to stop myself from crying.

"Bet you never saw this coming." John repeated, bringing me up to speed. Disbelief and bewilderment painted Sherlock's features as he finally managed to move and slowly paced towards us. He thought that we were traitors, I could see it in his eyes. I shook my head gently to try and tell him that that wasn't the case but he was too focused on John who had peeled back the jacket to reveal the bomb. "What... Would you like me... To make them say... Next?". The pressure was getting to him as well. His voice was cracking under the metaphorical weight of our situation. Sherlock kept stepping onwards cautiously.

"Sarah? Are you paying attention? I want you to say 'Gottle o' geer, gottle o' geer, gottle o' geer!'" as Jim sang in my ear shivers ran down my spine. He was enjoying this too much. I repeated the words without his sick tone.

"Stop it." Sherlock lashed out

"Nice touch, this: the pool where little Carl died." John conveyed Jim's narration in our ears, "I stopped him." what came next made the breath catch in my neck. John had stopped too. That was until Jim said

"Come on John, say it.". He had no choice. If John didn't say what Jim wanted him to then the red targets that the snipers had on our chests would be nothing more than empty holes through our hearts in a few seconds.

"I can stop John Watson too. And Sarah Cook." John took a moment to look down at the laser on his chest and then continued, "Stop their hearts.".

"Who are you?" Sherlock yelled, looking in all directions. There was a click through my earpiece signalling that Jim had finished his playing soldiers with us, he was coming to the front line himself.

"I gave you my number. I thought you might call." Jim muttered plaintively. Sherlock adjusted his line of sight so that he was looking at what I presumed was the general himself strolling along the deep end of the pool we were stood by. Holmes' eyes widened as he saw the culprit, recognising him instantly. When he spoke next all plaintiveness had gone from his voice, "Is that a British Army Browning L9A1 in your pocket or are you just pleased to see me?"

"Both." and with that Sherlock pulled a pistol out of his trouser pocket.

"Jim Moriarty. Hi!" he seemed unfazed. Sherlock tilted his head and looked closer. Jim seemed to think that he needed to remind him who he was. "Jim? Jim from the hospital?" he chuckled, "Did I really make such a fleeting impression? But then, I suppose, that was rather the point." Sherlock moved his other hand to support the on that he already had on the gun, still aiming straight at him. Me and John didn't dare to move. Not only were the lasers still pointed at us but if I moved any further left I'd be in the line of Sherlock's gun as well. Jim had finished explaining that he didn't like doing his own dirty work, claiming that he was a specialist, when Sherlock finally started to talk.

"Dear Jim. Please will you fix it for me to get rid of my lover's nasty sister?" I could almost feel the grin coming from Jim behind us as he recognised the TV show that our friend was quoting. Sherlock continued, "Dear Jim. Please will you fix it for me to disappear to South America?"

"Just so." Moriarty said playfully

"Consulting criminal." Sherlock said. "Brilliant."

"Isn't it? No-one ever gets to me- and no-one ever will."

"I did." Holmes cocked the pistol to one side and then back upright.

"You've come the closest. Now you're in my way."

"Thank you."

"Didn't mean it as a compliment."

"Yes you did."

"Yeah, okay, I did. But the flirting's over, Sherlock..." Jim said as he strolled to stand beside us, completely unshaken at the sight of Sherlock's gun pointing at his chest as he got more into range, his voice became very sing-song, "Daddy's had enough now!" he wandered closer still. "I've shown you what I can do." he said in his normal voice again, "I cut loose all those people, all those little problems, even thirty million quid just to get you to come out and play. So take this as a friendly warning, my dear. Back off.". There was a brief pause before he spoke again. "Although I have loved this- this little game of ours. Playing Jim from I.T. Playing gay." Then he turned to me "Did you like the little touch with the underwear?" he grinned before turning his attention back on Sherlock.

"People have died." the detective stated

"That's what people DO!" Jim screamed furiously.

"I will stop you."

"No you won't.".

Sherlock looked across to me and John.

"You all right?" I didn't look at him, too scared that if I did Jim would have his snipers bury a bullet in me.

"You can talk, you two. Go ahead." but, even with Jim's permission, neither of us made a sound. I twitched my head to shoot a pleading look at Sherlock. I just wanted this to be over. Sherlock met my eyes and nodded once. He took one hand off of the pistol and held out the memory stick that he had been guarding in his grasp out towards Jim.

"Take it." he gestured

"Huh? Oh! That!" Jim caught sight of the stick and walked past me, reaching out for it with a grin on his face "The missile plans!". He took the device and brought it to his mouth, giving it a light kiss. "Boring!" he sang "I could have got them anywhere.". He tossed the stick nonchalantly into the pool. Then, from nowhere, John raced towards our captor, wrapping one arm around his neck and the other around his chest. I called out for him but wasn't quick enough.

"Sherlock, run!" John yelled.

Moriarty laughed in delight. "Good! Very good!". Sherlock didn't move but started looking up anxiously. Perhaps looking for the snipers, perhaps looking for the red lasers that had disappeared from my chest. I let out breath that I didn't even know I was holding in.

"If your sniper pulls that trigger, Mr Moriarty, then we both go up." John said savagely. Jim didn't seem bothered, instead he spoke to Sherlock

"Isn't he sweet? I can see why you like having him around. Both of them, actually. Sarah over there is a real doll isn't she?" Sherlock's grip tightened on the handle of his gun at the mention of my name and I thought for a second that he was going to pull the trigger, "But then people do get so sentimental about their pets. They're so touchingly loyal. But, OOPS!" Jim attempted to turn in John's vice like grip to grin at him but didn't quite make it. "You've rather shown your hand there, Doctor Watson.". All of a sudden the lasers re-appeared and a new one was added to the collection- directly in the centre of Sherlock's forehead. I gasped in horror at the red spot and my hands flew to my mouth. "Gotcha!" Moriarty sang. He chuckled as John released his grip on him and took a step back so that he was stood at my side, holding up his hands to signal the sniper- wherever he was- that he wouldn't try anything else. Jim glanced round at us, then turned back towards Sherlock as he brushed his hands down his suit in order to straighten it.

"Westwood!" he gestured indignantly. I was right. His suit was massively expensive. "D'you know what happens if you don't leave me alone, Sherlock, to you?"

"Oh, let me guess. I get killed." Sherlock deadpanned Jim's threat

"Kill you?" Jim grimaced, "N-no, don't be obvious. I mean, I'm gonna kill you anyway some day. I don't want to rush it, though. I'm saving it up for something special. If you don't stop prying, I'll BURN you... I will burn the heart out of you." he snarled.

"I've been reliably informed that I don't have one.". I was amazed at how calm Sherlock was being considering his situation. More to the point, I was wondering who told him that he didn't have a heart because it was quite clear to me that he did.

"But we both know that's not quite true." Jim said causing Sherlock to look over at me and blink involuntarily. I shook my head slightly to inform him that I hadn't said anything about the intimacy that took place between us a few days ago. "Well, I'd better be off." he looked around the room, shrugging in no-one's general direction. "So nice to have had a proper chat.". Sherlock ignored his departure announcement and said

"What I was to shoot you now- right now?"

"Then you could cherish the look of surprise on my face." Jim paused "'Cause I'd be surprised, Sherlock; really I would. And just a teensy bit disappointed. And of course you wouldn't be able to cherish it for very long.". Then, he slowly turned, shot a grin at me and John (still frozen to the spot) and walked away back to where he came from. "Ciao, Sherlock Holmes."

"Catch... You... Later." our friend watched the criminal leave with his gun tracing his every movement. The sound of a door opening rang around the pool along with the sound of Jim's voice singing:

"No you won't!"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.7K 151 11
Sherlock Holmes goes into battle with Moriarty, his greatest adversary. Naturally, Anita O'Malley and John Watson are there to assist him on this ba...
428K 13.7K 26
Three years before Sherlock Holmes met Dr. John Watson, he met a young lady by the name of Abigail Watson. Abigail is beautiful yet sarcastic and sas...
4.3K 172 33
The story begins after the end of the series, where everything is over and Irene Adler is now free from her previous, prodigal life. A text message f...
135K 4.1K 27
" Found - to find something that once was lost. " Victoria and Sherlock met in high school, sharing many experiences and being drawn together. Then...