THE CRYSTAL HOUSE

By feechi17

Six humans bearing Allira's crystal. Unlike kindred souls, Kristol and Neve each claim their own. Earth will... More

PART ONE
¶Invitation Letter¶
¶Settling In¶
¶Ground floor¶
¶Let the Games Begin¶
¶The First Story¶
¶Fire and what else?¶
¶AHOH¶
¶Round Two¶
¶Adoption Tales¶
¶Memories¶
¶Playing with water¶
¶Suspicions¶
¶Dreams¶
¶A game of balls¶
¶Actions and Consequences¶
¶Time's essence¶
¶And there was one¶
¶Giant Jenga¶
¶Up ahead¶
PART TWO
¶Mareike¶
¶Mareike¶
¶Mareike¶
¶Femi¶

¶After¶

13 2 0
By feechi17

Chiara

When Mr. Han announced the game's results, Chiara heaved a sigh and subtly made a cross sign on her chest. Her score was enough to take her to the next games, as her three point escape fortunately put her at seventh place ahead of someone not as lucky.

Ingrid.

While the house moderator read out the plans for her departure, she stood in front of them unmoving and silent. Her head was bent with arms clasped together in front, making it impossible for the housemates to know if she was crying, listening or meditating.

Chiara smiled softly. The girl tried, on several occasions, to convince her about standing meditation. A form of yoga she preferred because it helped her focus and adapt to her surroundings.

It appeared to be helping her now as she nodded after Mr. Han's perfected speech and smiled at the housemates' direction before moving towards her room to pack up.

He proceeded to dismiss them and she turned to the girl beside her, who had been quiet since the games ended.

"Come on, let's go help Ingrid pack." She said, standing up and offering her hand.

Priya turned to her with a shocked expression. "Help her pack? No, I won't pretend to like her because she's leaving." She ignored the outstretched hand and stood up, walking out of the game room.

"What do you mean? She's my friend and yours too. Well, sort of." Chiara followed her until they reached Priya's room.

"No, she's not. Not after I found out she intentionally started the fight between you and Mareike." She said, sitting on her bed and patting the space next to her.

Chiara frowned, "How? That's impossible."

"No it's not. She said it herself when we were playing the game."

She sat down and listened as Priya recounted the conversation between the both of them.

"Something is strange about her, Chiara. I still can't understand how she knew about your issues, and what effect it would have on you and Mareike."

Chiara flared up. "But why would she do that? What's the point?" She stood up and moved towards the door. "I have to ask her before she leaves."

"Is there any point of doing that? She's already leaving."

"She made me ruin a wonderful friendship, Priya. I need to know why."

"Okay, let's go."

They moved on to knock at the open door directly opposite Priya's and first saw Mareike huddled up on her bed, immersed in a book while Ingrid packed silently. Chiara stood by the door and stared at her, until their eyes met.

"Hi." She waved, offering a small smile but Mareike shook her head and left the room, ignoring all three of them.

"I need to ask you something." She turned to the second girl, addressing the girl with fresh resentment bubbling up.

She sat down and zipped her box. "Really? I thought you'd be helping me pack."

A smile was plastered on her face till Chiara entered the room properly with Priya behind. She looked between them, recognition quickly dawning. "What now?"

Chiara glared at her, going straight for the kill. "Why did you cause a fight between I and Mareike?"

Ingrid pressed her lips into a thin line. "Seriously? This again? Aren't you satisfied that you defeated me in the game, or do you want to beat me physically as well?"

"I just want answers."

Ingrid shrugged. "Like I told Priya before she cheated her way into winning, it was just for fun. But, I didn't control your reaction to it so you could have walked away from the kitchen instead of burning up like a fireball."

"Fun? That was fun to you? What kind of person are–" Chiara asked, ignoring the obvious jab at her personality.

She held up a hand and stood up, grabbing her box. "I'm a curious girl with a penchant for accurate predictions, and here's a free one: this issue with my roommate is going to be the least of your worries very soon."

Mareike

"Mareike, wait!" She stopped in her stride reluctantly and turned towards the voice. She was unprepared for the confrontation, but her ex-friends apparently had it in mind today.

"Ingrid caused the fight between us, and I'm sorry for how I reacted." Chiara offered, smiling hopefully.

She gave her a blank stare. "Priya told me already, but that does not make it better. She had no control over your reaction or words, you made a choice."

"That's the only thing she's said to me since that day." Priya grumbled, folding her arms.

Mareike faced her and snapped. "You watched silently as she made fun of my situation, and even when she stormed out, you followed."

"I'm sorry for that." She replied in a weak voice and looked down.

Chiara tried again. "Sometimes I say things without thinking, especially when I don't mean them. I've blamed myself for the accident since it happened, and I just lashed out at you without thinking. I admit I wanted to say something to hurt you, but that was stupid and immature."

"You made fun of my weight, and you know how sensitive I am about that." She protested, fighting back tears and remembering the embarrassment she still felt.

Mareike took little solace in the fact that the bean bag was no longer there to remind her of its treachery. In her sadness, she disposed of it in the same way as the bottled water and though she was calmer now, there was no inclination to bring it back.

Luckily, Mr. Han did not notice and if he did, he made no fuss about it. She would not be able to explain how she wished it away with her mind, nor how she felt tempted to wish the girl in front of her away.

In front of her, Chiara grimaced and held her hand. "I know and I'm so ashamed of my actions, but you have to know I didn't mean it. I'll try to control my temper, but I need your help Mareike. Will you help me?"

She looked between both of them and smiled; there was no point of staying mad at her only friends and risk losing them because of stubbornness. Besides, they apologized which was the main thing so she grasped the hand that held hers and nodded.

"Okay. I forgive you both, but we still have an unresolved problem. The sporadic bursts of abilities are not normal, and it all started in this house. I need answers."

"I'm not sure, but I think Ingrid might know something. She or Mr. Han." Priya offered, sighing in relief.

"I already asked my roommate about it, but she denied knowing anything. She was more interested in learning more about our abilities." Mareike explained, shaking her head. "Mr. Han might be the best bet."

"Alright, let's go find him then. I doubt he's left with Ingrid yet." Chiara said, more relaxed as she led the way downstairs.

"You know, I and Eryk haven't talked properly for the past two days since he took your side. Hopefully, we'll start flirting again now that everything's resolved."

"Is that why you were determined to get us talking again?" Mareike narrowed her eyes, stopping mid-way on the staircase.

"Of course not." Priya denied, linking her arms through hers'. "I just missed having three of us together. You should try learning to be less defensive, though."

She slumped her shoulders, answering with a sigh. "I know. I need to be less of a lot of things."

"Not less sweet though."

Priya

When they got downstairs, Mr. Han was nowhere to be seen but Priya saw the masked men hanging up decorations in the garden. From where she stood, it looked quite pretty.

"What's happening?" She finally asked, addressing the guys that sat quietly in the once again renovated kitchen.

"They've been hard at that for a while now." Eryk answered, glancing at her with a small smile.

She felt like hitting him, but she held herself and pulled out a chair beside him. Now he was smiling at her because she and Mareike came down together. She swallowed a soft pang of jealousy and returned his smile.

"They refused to tell us what's going on." Femi added, standing up to carry down a pot from the gas stove. "I can't be sure they're allowed to talk to us though." He brought out some plates and started putting food into each one.

Mareike pulled out a seat from the table and sat down as well, while Chiara walked over to Femi. "Since when can you cook?"

He shrugged and offered her a plate. "Since I was born a Nigerian."

She took the plate and gave it to Mareike, smiling as she did so and Priya felt a warmth rising in her chest at the small gesture. They were three again.

The aroma of the food filled her nostrils when a plate was placed in front of her. It appeared to be rice with an orange colouring, spiced with some vegetables and she smelt carrot and lettuce in there.

"It looks nice. What's it called?" She asked, twirling her spoon around the plate.

"Jollof rice. My personal favourite. Taste it. Do you like it?"

She took a spoon and sighed happily. "Mmm, it's really nice and spicy. How's it made?"

"I'll tell you later on. Just enjoy it for now." He replied, grinning widely at her compliment.

She nodded and lapsed into silence, determined to enjoy the food and occasionally steal glances at Eryk. Priya couldn't explain why, but at that table she felt content and happy. Maybe it was the strange food.

After a while, the masked men came out of the garden and walked uniformly across the lounge into the hallway, none of them looking towards the housemates'. Immediately she heard the front door open and close again, the intercom gave a loud beep.

"Will all housemates proceed to the garden immediately?" Mr. Han ordered.

They all looked quizzically at each other and crossed the small space into the garden. To her, it looked so different from the area they used for morning exercises. Now, the ceilings were decorated with strings of lights and balloons of different colours. There was a red carpet arranged from the door to the far end of the garden where six chairs were arranged around a long table, each of them covered with a white linen and tied bows at the back.

But Mr. Han directed them to sit on some plastic chairs arranged at the side and once everyone was seated comfortably, he stepped into the makeshift podium and started.

"There will be a dinner party this evening for the six of you, courtesy of the organizers. Your attires have been prepared as well, and you're all to proceed to the garden at sunset. Once again, congratulations on reaching final–"

A high pitched voice pierced through the air, capturing everyone's attention and cutting off the announcement.

"Take heed, sons and daughters of Allira who bear her mark.
A storm is brewing between all kindred, and each crystal will strive to protect her own.
An unfortunate choice will be offered, but you must accept it for Meissa to be saved."

All eyes were on Ingrid as she addressed them, poised at the garden door with her box beside her, and when she finished she fell to the ground with an audible thud.

Mr. Han rushed to her side immediately, while calling for water but the girl regained consciousness soon after. She looked at him and asked to be taken to the airport, ignoring the stares of everyone else.

No one offered an explanation for her words and the masked guys quietly escorted her out of the lounge, but not before she glanced back at Priya to give her the middle finger sign.

She ignored her and turned to Mr. Han instead. "What was that about?"

He looked at her for a brief moment before running his hands through his face and sighing.

"It's Messai's gem. She's ready to receive her children."

*****
WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT INGRID'S WORDS? ARE YOU HAPPY THE GIRLS HAVE RECONCILED? LET ME KNOW YOUR THOUGHTS IN THE COMMENT SECTION.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4K 708 31
||3X FEATURED|| For the Slates, Demon Slaying is the family business. And eighteen-year-old Perrin has fully embraced her chosen profession. But when...
11.7K 5.3K 37
Unknown to the average human world, there is a place where every supernatural being that fuels nightmares resides. Shielded completely from prying ey...
82.6K 3.9K 64
Salvare University looms above its city as a sanctuary for those gifted with magic. The University is renowned for pouring out students that encounte...
196 23 15
Forced to embark on a journey to the human world for a mission, fairy sisters Xhyrah and Xhamirah concealed their identity as they ventured on an adv...