His Serenity

By Stella_Cadante

In the realm of guns, lies, deception and beasts, an angel was born "Damn it!" --- More

Author's note
Characters
Prologue
Chapter 1: Bruno and Ice creams
Chapter 2: Promises and Good byes
Chapter 3: The Island
Chapter 4: Back home
Chapter 5: The Ball
Chapter 6: Encounter with the ice prince
Chapter 7: "Why her!"
Chapter 8: Broken promises
Chapter 9: Dinner with the Vitali's
Chapter 10: Testing the Irish mob
Chapter 11: The "Keep"
Chapter 12: Wise words from Papy Fostello
Chapter 13: Forever mine
Chapter 14: Mysterious Alessandro
Chapter 15: Possessive and Gentle
Chapter 16: The Ice prince was very warm
Chapter 17: Athena Springton
Chapter 18: New School and Friends
Chapter 19: Trapped in the ballet chamber with the evil mistress
Chapter 20: Ice cream and Calculus
Chapter 21: The nightmare
Chapter 22: New feelings and heart aches
Chapter 23: Serenity was attacked
Chapter 24: A new side of Alessandro in the hospital
Chapter 25: Crazy and toxic Svetlana
Chapter 26: She was playing the Joan of Arc
Chapter 27: He forced the verdict in her hands
Chapter 28: He almost kill her from his outburst
Chapter 29: The O'Sullivan twins are back
Chapter 30: Redesigning his room
Chapter 31: Angry Alessandro is scary!
Birthday gowns for milady!
Chapter 32: Jealousy, Jealousy
Chapter 33: someone came to visit
Chapter 34: Bad boy?
Chapter 35: The Birthday Ball
Chapter 37: The Birthday Ball -III
Chapter 38: Falling into their own traps
Chapter 39: Nostalgia from years back
Chapter 40: Revelations of facades
Chapter 41: the wrath of the previous generation
Chapter 42: New tides
Chapter 43:

Chapter 36: Birthday Ball-II

33.5K 1.6K 632
By Stella_Cadante

***

(By popular no. of votes, we have the final gown)

The evening blinked away the last rays of the sun as it approaches the starry night. The grand birthday cum debutante ball was commencing.

Serenity was adorned in a beautiful midnight blue gown that complimented her fair skin and makes her rare amethyst eyes popped out. Her petite figure looked rather delicate and soft. She glanced at the reflection in the mirror and couldn't help but proudly smile.

The natural makeup enhanced her features and she loved the fact that Alessandro took special care to provide an exquisite lighter gown contradicting how heavy it looked. He had it prepared by one of the most famous Italian designer in the world who specialized in debutante gowns and evening dresses.

Zia Lavinia accompanied her throughout the day, suggesting and giving her tips on how to carry herself. Serenity had never been trained professionally in etiquette unlike young women of the upper class. All she learned was from her Mama Dido.

"Why isn't Alicia here yet?" She complained softly.

"She will be here with with Fratello Gio." Lavinia answered referring to her brother, the Don of Vitali family.

Butter had also dressed up in a creamy evening dress that she had brought along. It wasn't anything extravagant and she wasn't one to stick up to the latest trends so it didn't bother her.

The guest had started arriving and it was time to commenced the ball.

"Is she ready?"

She heard the familiar husky voice from the door. Serenity breath out to contain her excitement and nervousness.

She slowly stood up from the chair and turned around.

"Alessandro..."

Alessandro froze as he look at her. His dark eyes fixated on her and he couldn't process the ethereal image of his girl in front of his eyes. She looked surreal and he wished he could hide her forever in his pocket. The world doesn't deserve such beauty nor did he.

"Love." He whispered and slowly stepped forward. Just when she was in an arm reach distance, did he come back to his sense.

His angel

His Serenity

Taking her delicate face in his palms as though he was afraid to put a little more force incase he breaks her. She was so fragile and exquisite in his eyes. He peppered her face with light kisses, consuming her in his embrace.

"Happy Birthday, my love, once again."

She beamed, "Thank you."

"Are you ready?"

"Yes." She linked her arm along his and smiled shyly.

Distinguished guest from the elite classes and the underground regime were present, masking away the dirty politics and insincere appreciation with their fine gowns and suits.

They had prepared exquisite gifts for the birthday girl irrespective of her unknown status because all they were informed was that she is someone special to the Vitali heir.

As Serenity glided down the Grand staircase to the massive mingle below with Alessandro by her side, the crowd paused and stared at the breathtaking couple.

The silence lasted only for a couple of minutes before loud whispers erupted all around.

Alessandro guided her to the stage and have her settled on a throne like couch.

And before long, the guests approached them with overwhelming wishes and gifts.

"Happy birthday, Serenity."

She looked up at the elegant distant tone and smiled softly.
"Thank you, Athena. You look so pretty."

Athena forwarded a wrapped box and raised her eyes.
"You will definitely need this, later. Open up."

Serenity's smile faltered a bit but she curiously tore the wrapper and opened the box.

It was indeed a little weird gift. Not that she minded but she couldn't see herself wearing it anytime in future.

"Um...Nice?"

Alessandro peered down from the side and he scoffed, rolling his eyes.

"Get lost, Athena."

Athena smirked and clicked her tongue before strolling out of the stage.

"You don't have to take her words seriously, love. Give this to me."

Alessandro took the gift and threw it to a Butler who was arranging the presents nearby.

***

Serenity was looking around when she suddenly stilled. Her eyes widened impossibly and her shoulders trembled with emotions. A low gasp escaped her lips. Without a moment delay, she picked up her gown and ran down the stage, forgetting all manners and etiquette.

"Boris!"

The man opened his arms and she rushed into his all too familiar embrace.

"Child, my dearest sister."
Serenity could hear his voice breaking as her brother tightened his arm around her.

"Boris! I missed you so much. How are you? You have grown so tall."

"You have grown up well, Seri. You were this little naughty brat and now you are beautiful young lady."

"Get off, brother. Let me see my sister properly."

Serenity bite down her lips to contain her sobs. She pulled away and turned to the side, jumping into her other brother's arms.

"Bru!"

"There, there. Little girl, you're ruining your make up." Bruno chuckled although it was weighed down with emotions.

He carefully stroked her hair and wiped her tears.

"How are you, babygirl?"

"Did that bastard mistreat you in anyway?"

Boris ran his eyes up and down worriedly.

Serenity giggled with shaking her head, "Alessandro treats me well-"

"Don't worry Serenity, We will get you out of here as soon as possible. There is nothing to be scared of. You will never have to see that asshole ever again."

Her heart dropped and she rushed to explain,
"Boris! No- you are misunderstanding him! Alessandro...he is good to me-"

"What are talking about Serenity?" Boris frowned, he grabbed her shoulder and planted her firmly while looking at her doe eyes, " You were wronged, princess. That bastard even dared to manipulate my sister!" He growled.

"Boris please. Don't call him that word. You don't understand. Alessandro is nothing as you say. He has saved me countless times. He cares about me and I like him-"

"Serenity!" Boris thundered, his hazel eyes glaring into her with disbelief.

Serenity was startled and she instinctively coiled back in fear.

"Boris." Bruno warned and pushed him back.

Suddenly, Alessandro was by her side. He pulled her aside and met the fierce eyes of the O'Sullivan with equal intensity.

"Enough, Boris. Do not ruin our sister's day. We will talk about this later. Calm down."

"This is not over, Mr Vitali." Boris gritted and stormed out.

Serenity reached out to stop him but Alessandro pulled her back and shook his head.

"I will see to him, Seri. Don't worry." Bruno smiled and kissed her head before following his twin.

"That escalated badly, Alessandro. What do I do?"

Serenity peered at him anxiously.

"I will fix it, love. Don't worry over such petty issues. Leave everything to me. Alright?"

She nodded reluctantly while staring at the back of her brothers.

"Three of your mothers are here as well. Would you like to greet them?"

***

"Ah! What a lovely night! And what a lovely couple!"

Serenity cringed at the over enthusiastic voice of her mother Anushka. She smiled stiffly and lower her head.

"Mama, how are you?"

Anushka smiled so bright that it was almost blinding her with embarrassment.
"Good, I am good. Sweetie. Look at you, what a fine young lady you appear to be unlike the homeless hobo that came to Crystal mansion a couple of months ago." Anushka chirped, clapping her hands.

"Oh I absolutely ship you too. No offense, Mr. Vitali but you are such a cute couple."

"None taken, Mrs O'Sullivan." Alessandro replied in a monotonous tone, "I apologize but if you can excuse me, ladies. I will be right back."

Alessandro turned around to go but before that he lightly touch a strand of hair and pushed it back behind her ears.
"Be good, love." He smiled tenderly

Such an endearing expression, Anushka squealed silently and punched Charon who was standing beside her.

Charon rolled her eyes and pulled out a wad of cash. Anushka hungrily stuffed it into her purse.

It didn't escape Serenity's eyes though. She stared at the two of them meaningfully and sighed.

"Mama, did you make a bet again?"

Before Charon could open her mouth, Anushka rushed to explain.
"I tell her my ship is sailing and she didn't believe it and hoped you got sea sick and Alessandro dumped you in the cold water. Oh dear Serenity, you are a bringer of money to me. Come let me feed you some appetizers with my own hands."

Serenity was pulled towards the buffet table as Anushka piled up a plate with different miniature cupcakes and sweets.

"Serenity O'Sullivan?" A cold voice approached her from behind.

Serenity turned around and saw a beautiful older lady with platinum blonde hair standing elegantly. She looked sophisticated and her aura demands respect and a sense of superiority.

"Yes?"

A smile appeared on her lips even though Serenity felt a sense of wariness around this new lady, she greeted her politely.

"I am Evelina Springton. Happy birthday, dear."

"Thank you."

"You must know Athena, she is my daughter."

"Oh!" Serenity's eyes widened, "Hello Mrs. Springton. Nice to meet you."

Mrs. Springton smirked and glanced at Anushka who was looking at their exchange curiously.

"If you don't mind, can I borrow your lovely daughter for a minute."

Anushka shook her head, "It's alright, Go Serenity. I will be fine here."

Serenity followed Mrs. Springton to a nearby table. A waiter appeared and place a glass of champagne and another glass of Shirley Ginger on their table.

Serenity took the non alcoholic drink and sipped quietly.

"I heard that you arrived a month ago in the States. How is it treating you so far?"

"I have seen much but so far so good."

"Ah! You go to the same school as Athena, if I am not wrong."

Serenity nodded.

"How is she in school? As a business owner, I am always traveling and I couldn't look after my dear daughter. If it wasn't for Alessandro here, I wouldn't be so relax to leave Athena all by herself. Such a good lad he is."

Serenity smiled good-naturedly, "Athena is very popular in school, Mrs Springton. She even has a fan base and everyone admires her. She helped me a lot and I really respect her. Although she seems rough on the surface, she is really kind inside. You must be proud to have such an outstanding daughter."

She didn't notice the smile on the older lady's face becoming more strained neither the hands clenching harder around the glass as she spoke.

"That is great to hear, you have such a  sweet mouth, dear." She sipped on her wine and looked around.
"Do you know once upon a time, Alessandro and Athena were kidnapped together?"

Serenity froze and stared at her wide eyes ,"W-What?"

Mrs.Springton nodded, "Yes, they were so young...it was about a decade ago. It took us a month to catch the abductors and bring them back. By then, Athena...." she blinked back her tears as though it was hard to bring the past up, " Athena was completely broken, scared and lost. It was Alessandro who fixed her up. He didn't let go of her hand  no matter what. He stood by her and looked after her. Athena wouldn't allow anyone but Alessandro to be by her side. He was her safe haven. Even now, Alessandro would always put her as his top priority. Athena has a final say in most of his decisions. They have such a strong and unique bond."

"We even believe that they would end up together because even though both of them see other people during the day, it was always Alessandro and Athena at the end-"

"Mother!" Athena approached them swiftly and glared at her.

Mrs Springton raised an eyebrow, she elegantly dabbed a ball of tissue under her eyes and stood up.

"Oh sweetheart, you are here."

"Please excuse me, Ms. O'Sullivan." Athena did not spare a glance at Serenity and directly dragged Mrs. Springton out of the scene.

Once they reached a more private region away from the wandering eyes and gossiping ears, Athena grounded her teeth and glared at her so called mother.

"Stop it already. Haven't you had enough. You already ruined my life now you want to drag Alessandro into this."

Mrs Springton didn't hesitate to smack her right across the face. The once graceful smile turned into animosity. Her evil eyes twitched.

"You did not listen to me, my dear. What happened to that aphrodisiac? Why is it that I hear no news of you being intimate with the Vitali heir? Do you think you can fool me, sweetie? I have eyes everywhere." Mrs Springton scowled.

Athena clenched her jaws while holding her abused cheek, "I will not do it. Your bloody aphrodisiac was flushed down the toilet that day itself. Enough is enough. I have listened to you for 10 years. I have abide by your rules for 10 years. You have played me for 10 years. I want my life back, mother."

"You!" Mrs Springton shook with rage, "How dare you! Athena Springton! Remember I own your life! The only way you can escape this life is death. Learn to respect your parents, sweetie. If it wasn't for you and your dirty past, we would have been a perfect family, without a stain in this society. It's all because of you and your worthless existence that the elite clans had to reject us. Nobody wants to marry a used woman, Athena. Alessandro is your only chance at a happy life ahead."

"I don't need a man to be happy and life. I am enough for myself. You are a woman too, mother yet it is embarrassing that you had to sprinkle salt on my wounds and the bleach my unfortunate past with a man. Who will understand a woman's pain better than women. You are a shame!"

"Athena!" Mrs Springton raised her hand to slap but someone caught her wrist before it could touch her.

"Enough, mom. The walls have ears."

Athena stilled, her face paled at the voice.

"Your sister needs to be put back in her place. She has been expanding her wings these days."

"I know, mom. Dad is looking for you."

Mrs Springton scoffed and stormed away.

"Hello...sister. Won't you greet your dear old brother after all these years?"

Athena shut her eyes tightly and turned away, refusing to face him.

"I don't want to talk to you, Aaron."

Aaron Springton sneered and step up infront of her.
"You seemed to get getting cockier and even more sassier in my absence."

"What do you want, Aaron?" Athena let out an exhausted breath and met his eyes.

The cold grey eyes against another cold grey eyes.

Aaron was dumbfounded for a second. She looked different. Something was wrong.

He frowned and took in her physical state and then he realised the fire in her eyes was extinguishing, slowly yet surely.

Faced with this sudden fragile side of the ever so strong Athena, he was left speechless.

And before he could utter out a word, she had left.

***

Before long, it was time for the first dance of the night, the middle of the ball room has been cleared up, the romantic lighting focused on the dance floor as people gathered by the sides.

Serenity saw Alessandro on the other side of the room. She smiled as she saw him walked towards her.

Just as he neared her, a hand came in front of her asking for the first dance.

Serenity was stupefied at her position. She looked longingly at Alessandro but she couldn't ignore the other person for it was none other than Igor, her dearest brother.

"Seri?" Igor proposed firmly.

Alessandro stopped and looked into her eyes before nodding.

Although reluctant, she took Igor's hand and proceeded to the dance floor. Out of the corner of her eye she saw, Mrs. Springton giving Alessandro Athena's hand with a warm smile. Her heart dropped.

Serenity gasped lowly at the uncomfortable ache in her heart.

"You won't even greet your brother, Seri." Igor lightly hold her waist as they sway to the music.

She shook her head, "It's nothing like that, Igor. How are you?" A small smile curved up by the corner of her lips but it didn't reach her eyes.

"I am good, You look beautiful tonight."

"Thank you. When did you arrive, I didn't see you earlier." As she inquired, her eyes was already fixated at Alessandro who was dancing with Athena a few feet away from them.

"Not long ago."

"Hmm"

Igor watched her carefully, her mind was somewhere else, the sourness on her face didn't escape his eyes and the way her gaze trained on the other couple beside them was too obvious.

"You like him, don't you?" He suddenly asked.

Serenity was flaggergasted, her mouth parted in surprise. She slowly looked down at her feet and nodded in guilt.
"Yes, Igor."

"Is there any way I can convince you to give up on this feeling?"

She smiled bitterly and shook her head.
"I don't think I can, Igor. It's too late."

"No, Seri. It's never too late. What is the relation between you two?"

"We are...." she stilled.

Igor humorlessly chuckled as though he was mocking her.
"Not a family,neither a friend, nor a lover, nothing. That's what you are to him. Your existence is nothing but a toy to play. Is that what you want?"

"Stop it, Igor." She begged, "Actions speaks louder than words. We don't have a specific title to our relationship right now but Alessandro had shown in a thousands of occasions that I am special to him. I believe in him, Igor."

"You are making a grave mistake, Seri. It is only you who will get hurt in the end. Alessandro Vitali is not someone with a heart. You cannot trade yours to save him. The disappointment will only kill you at the end."

"Please Igor. Give us a chance. I cannot choose between Alessandro and my brothers."

"You are not someone we can give away that easily, my dear sister. Alessandro must prove that he is worthy of you. He must earn you."

"But-"

"Shss, Say no more. We are doing the best for you, Seri. We are your family and family comes before anyone in our clan."

The music had come to an end.

Alessandro came towards her as soon as it was over.
"Can I see you outside for a minute?" He looked into her eyes impatiently.

Serenity glanced at Igor who nodded in return.

He gently hold her hand and brought her out to the backyard.

The narrow pathway leading to the furthest gazebo from the mansion was decorated with little fairy lamps, giving a magical ambience all over the atmosphere.

No words were exchanged, she had a lot to speak, a lot to ask but somehow the words wouldn't make it past her lips.

Serenity gasped at the sight. The gazebo was decorated massively with flowers and luminous little lights. It reminded her of an altar in fairy tales.

Alessandro stopped and turned around.

"Love."

She gazed at him with her large clearing eyes brimming with innocence and curiosity.

He pulled out something from his pocket and placed it on his palm before bringing it infront of her.

It was a locket.

She frowned and picked it up, examining it closely.

It was familiar, all too familiar...because she had been wearing the exact same locket all her life, her mother's locket.

"No, this...this cannot be real." She muttered in disbelief, " Alessandro..."
The locket wasn't just a piece of jewelery that could be brought anywhere. It was created by a famous jade sculptor from China and one of a kind.

He sighed and opened the locket, there was a disheveled and slightly ruined picture of a young gorgeous blonde lady and alongside a red head beauty with amethyst eyes.

Alicia Connors and Ceres Fostello.

"Mama...this is my...m-mother?" Serenity choked.

"Yes, my love." Alessandro pulled her close and hugged her from behind as they both stared at the two lockets.
"My Madre and your mama were best of friends in their younger days. They drifted apart after they advanced into adulthood because of the responsibilities they had towards their families. Although they were not as close as they used to be, these lockets symbolized their pure friendship of their early days."

"Why didn't you tell me this before, Alessandro?"

"I was waiting for the right time. Do you know who was the first person to hold you after you're born?....It was my Madre. She coincidentally was there for little Alicia's checkup."

Serenity was struck with shocks after shocks. What a surprising turn of events?
"Were...Were you there too Alessandro?"

She could feel him nodding against her shoulder.

"We didn't know your mother belonged to the O'Sullivans. She was brought in emergency by Killian O'Sullivan. Madre couldn't ignore her childhood friend and hence she accompanied her in the theatre. The next few days, we continued our visits regularly but after a week, both of you disappeared. I was very young and I couldn't remember all the details. All I know was that I terribly missed the big violet eyed baby who always cries."

"Alessandro...."

"But fate brought us here again, love. You are here in my arms. So I need not waste time and might just capture you before you flew away." Alessandro turned her around and stared into her eyes.

She obediently stood there, waiting for his words.

"Will you be my girlfriend, love?"

"Finally." Serenity breathe and broke up into a wide smile, "Yes, Alessandro!"
She lunged into his arms and embraced him as he tightened his hold around her little waist.

***

How was it?

Good?

Bad?

Or just meh?

I really need to stick to my schedule now. Thank you for all your support and well-wishes.

Happy new year everyone! 🎉

Guess what Athena has gifted Serenity?
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

.

.
.
.
.
.
.
.

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

(In case Alessandro steps on our poor Serenity)

Until then,

Adios,

Stella Cadante

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

7.6K 175 15
Twisted love
1K 1 12
"𝐘𝐨𝐮 𝐚𝐫𝐞 𝐦𝐢𝐧𝐞, 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐨𝐧𝐥𝐲 𝐦𝐢𝐧𝐞." "𝐏𝐫𝐨𝐯𝐞 𝐢𝐭." ________ 𝐁𝐞𝐚𝐭𝐢𝐟𝐮𝐥 𝐬𝐢𝐧𝐬 𝐝𝐮𝐨: 𝐛𝐨𝐨𝐤 𝐨𝐧𝐞. "𝑯𝒆 𝒔𝒆𝒕 𝒇𝒊�...
884K 16.5K 28
𝘐𝘯 𝘸𝘩𝘪𝘤𝘩 𝘢𝘯 𝘪𝘯𝘯𝘰𝘤𝘦𝘯𝘵 𝘣𝘢𝘭𝘭𝘦𝘳𝘪𝘯𝘢 𝘢𝘵𝘵𝘳𝘢𝘤𝘵𝘴 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘴𝘪𝘯𝘧𝘶𝘭 𝘦𝘺𝘦𝘴 𝘰𝘧 𝘢𝘯 𝘰𝘭𝘥𝘦𝘳 𝘮𝘢𝘯, 𝘸𝘩𝘰 𝘩𝘢𝘱𝘱𝘦...
170K 2.4K 43
He was dark.She was light.. He was a playboy. She was innocent.. He was rough. She was kind.. He was short temper. She was calm...