Something Bolder (Book Two)

By mandy-beau

Violet Forsythe has been through hell. Her entire family is dead, her daywalker best friend hates her guts... More

Title
I. Volterra
II. Visitor
III. Reunion
IV. Lamb
V. Gratitude
VI. Library
VII. Binary
VIII. Squabble
IX. Comrade
X. Arrangement
XI. Primp
XII. Corridors
XIII. Leaders
XIV. Interrogation
XV. Snapped
XVI. Lockdown
XVII. Escape
XVIII. Reasons
XIX. Basics
XX. Deal
XXI. Freedom
XXII. Ride
XXIII. Vis-à-vis
XXIV. Deceit
XXV. Ceasefire
XXVI. Hearsay
XXVII. Guise
XXVIII. Entourage
XXIX. Bluff
XXX. Regroup
XXXI. Hypocrisy
XXXII. Call
XXXIII. Taunt
XXXIV. Antics
XXXV. Theatrics
XXXVI. Reservations
XXXVII. Mezzanine
XXXVIII. Amity
XXXIX. Waltz
XL. Reconciliation
XLI. Tug-of-war
XLII. Encounter
XLIII. Crimson
XLIV. Sonnet
XLV. Allegations
XLVI. SOS
XLVII. Conference
XLVIII. Inquest
XLIX. Rehash
L. Alibi
LI. Moment
LII. Caught
LIII. Assemble
LIV. Details
LV. Benches
LVI. Refuel
LVII. Spat
LXIII. Fatality
LX. London
LXI. Curiosity
LXII. Trainwreck
LXIII. Regret
LXIV. Attire
LXV. Pregame
LXVI. Amends
LXVII. Competition
LXVIII. Blackwood
LXIX. Motive
LXX. Decisions
LXXI. Prep
LXXII. Treason
LXXIII. Charges
LXXIV. Ciao
Thank You!

LIX. Slumber

540 21 12
By mandy-beau

"Seriously. Stop hurting Demetri," I said to Jane as she yanked a comb through my hair.

Jane and I were crowded in the bathroom of a small, mediocre motel room while the guys were out cleaning up the evidence of the car wreck. I'd just gotten out of the shower and Jane, sick of looking at my unruly mane, insisted on combing it out for me.

"It is pertinent that I maintain order amongst the ranks. I can't skimp on punishment simply because it offends you," Jane said.

"You don't hurt Alec," I complained.

"Alec doesn't do anything to deserve it."

"I strongly disagree," I retorted.

"Look, I'm not happy about the name calling either, but he was just upset."

"He sure knows how to make a girl swoon," I said sarcastically. "It's almost like he wants me to hate him."

"Whatever," Jane said, brushing me off. "Anyway, you should be thanking me about Demetri. Every time I torment him I give you a perfect excuse to crawl all over him."

"Are you demented?" I asked incredulously.

Jane smirked at me through the mirror.

"I don't need you to give me an excuse to crawl on him, anyway," I added stubbornly. "I could do that myself if I really wanted to."

"Oh, right. That makes complete sense considering how hard you struggle to even maintain eye contact with the man," she snickered.

"I do not!" I protested. "What do you care, anyway? I thought you didn't like us together."

Jane continued to comb my hair without responding.

"What?" I demanded.

"I saw you two in the convenience store," she finally said.

"And?"

"You were cute."

"Wait— are you giving us your blessing?" I asked, lighting up.

"Absolutely not," Jane said sternly.

"Whatever," I huffed. "I don't need your permission anyway."

"You do remember that you're supposed to be with Alec, right?"

"Literally nobody wants that but him," I said coldly.

"But he's your mate, nonetheless," she pressed.

"You don't have to remind me," I grumbled.

"Okay. So what's the plan? Is the dashing white knight going to save the sweet, helpless princess from the clutches of the evil prince?" Jane teased cruelly.

"No!" I sputtered.

Jane raised her eyebrows, giving me a knowing look through the mirror.

"It's not like he has feelings for me, anyway," I blushed. "This is nothing more than a pathetic case of unrequited puppy love."

"Really."

"Yeah," I replied, annoyed by her vague response. "It'll fizzle out before you know it."

"You think so?"

"Yes!" I exclaimed.

"Mmhm," Jane hummed with a small, smug smile.

"Unless you know something I don't..." I said with heavy suspicion.

"I don't know," she shrugged. "I can't remember the last time I've seen him lose his cool. Much less like that."

"You're just saying that to get my hopes up," I frowned.

"Maybe," she said, smiling at me sweetly.

I was just about to go in on her for being an bitch again, but the motel room door swung open and the guys returned - so that was a wrap for Girl Talk.

* * *

Violet didn't look good, even Alec had to admit that.

Her skin was pale and sallow, dark circles were appearing under her eyes, and now she had large, dark bruises from the car accident.

All of the stress and trauma she'd been exposed to was finally starting to show.

"We'll wake her in a few hours," Jane said resolutely.

Felix, Demetri and the twins were loitering around the motel room while Violet slept soundly on the bed. The outdated TV at the foot of the bed splashed blue light across the room, and murmured quietly, cutting the silence.

It was dusk again and they'd already acquired a nondescript midsize car for the rest of the drive; all that needed to be done was to wake Violet up and get her buckled in.

"She looks ill," Felix observed.

"She was in a car accident," Alec replied tersely.

"She's starting to look unhealthily thin," Felix pointed out.

"I give her food. I can't make her eat it," Jane said sharply.

"She's a nervous wreck. How could you expect her to have an appetite?" Demetri asked Jane, his voice laced with disapproval.

"Aro's going to have a fit if he sees her like this," Felix said.

"She'll recover," Alec said sternly.

"Strange. I would've thought you'd care more," Demetri said to Alec bitingly.

"I warned her," Alec said darkly. "I told her you wouldn't take care of her."

"I'm her boyfriend, not her babysitter," Demetri said languidly. "I was under the impression that it was up to you two to keep up with her," he said to the twins.

Alec gave Demetri an icy glare. Demetri was unmoved.

"Demetri and I actually have work to attend to when we're home. You can't expect him to have time to micromanage his girlfriend, too," Felix added in Demetri's defense.

Violet snorted and flailed her legs around under the covers a bit before cracking her eyes open.

"Are you guys talking about me?" she asked, her voice thick from slumber.

"Why would we be talking about you?" Jane asked pointedly.

"I donno," Violet mumbled.

"Go back to sleep," Jane commanded.

"But it's dark out," Violet protested, even though she was already drifting off again.

"I don't care. Go to sleep," Jane said.

"What is wrong with you people?" Violet mumbled into her pillow before passing out again.

Everyone waited a few minutes to ensure Violet had actually fallen back to sleep.

"Maybe she wouldn't be so stressed out if you stopped hazing her all of the time," Felix said to Jane.

Jane narrowed her eyes at him. "Don't tell me how to treat her. We get along now."

"Since when?" Demetri scoffed.

"We talk," Jane said dryly.

"You don't know this already, Demetri? How telling," Alec said judgmentally.

Demetri gave Alec a worn look.

"I don't think you have any business making remarks about my relationship," Demetri said smoothly.

"With my—" Alec stammered. "Violet is mine."

"Apparently not," Demetri said breezily.

"And that means what exactly?" Alec glowered.

"Nothing," Demetri smirked.

Alec scowled. "This," he spat, wagging his finger between Demetri and Violet, who was still out cold, "is fleeting. Whatever pitiful little bond you may think you have with her won't last. She'll return to me in the end."

"That's an awfully bold statement, Alec," Demetri said, tilting his head to the side. "Why don't we just wake her up and ask her what she thinks?"

"Let's not," Jane interrupted.

"I thought we were trying not to stress her out," Felix said.

"Yes. This squabbling needs to end," Jane said firmly.

"I will never stop fighting for my Violet," Alec said to his sister sharply.

"You called her a whore, you idiot," Jane said, her temper flaring. "You've officially revoked that privilege."

"You're only saying that because you're the one who broke us up in the first place," Alec said bitterly.

"You did that yourself, brother," Jane retorted.

"So you condone this?" Alec asked, baffled.

"No," Jane snapped. "But I think it's within everyone's best interest that you leave her alone."

"You know I can't do that," Alec said darkly.

"Yes, you can," Demetri said, growing thoroughly annoyed.

"I will personally make you regret—" Alec threatened Demetri.

"Enough!" Jane yelled, interrupting her brother.

"Wha—!" Violet exclaimed, abruptly lurching out of sleep. "Jane! What the hell?"

"Go to sleep," Jane replied.

"No! I'm awake now," Violet complained.

"Perfect. Get dressed. We're leaving in five minutes," Jane commanded Violet before turning to the men. "Out!"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

83.5K 1.9K 15
If people were asked to describe Dylan Swan. They would say outgoing, adventurous, sassy and hard-working unlike her sister who tries to get attentio...
300K 7.9K 39
Madeline Swan's life was average. Friends, High-school, and the typical party here and there. But when her cousin Bella Swan's catatonic depression s...
580K 12.4K 34
Maya has been hiding nearly her whole existence. She is an angel, and no I don't mean she acts like one, no she actually IS an angel! The angel of de...
76.9K 1.3K 49
𝙈𝙖𝙙𝙞𝙡𝙮𝙣 𝘾𝙤𝙡𝙡𝙞𝙣𝙨, 𝙗𝙤𝙧𝙣 𝙅𝙪𝙣𝙚 17.1549. She had a hard life but she survived everything that had happened, but when she gets a pho...