Partner in Crime (a Locke and...

By millawg

Tyler, Kinsey, and Bode have just gotten adjusted to the quaint town of Matheson- besides trying to fight Dod... More

Author note
Letters and Flowers
Apple Pie and the Yellow Suitcase
Lobster Boy
New Again
Curious Dreams and Plus-Ones
Perfect Disaster
Secrets Unsurfaced
The Sea Caves
Any Enemy of Yours is an Enemy of Mine
Answered questions
Love Heals
Perfect Summer

Betrayal is Bittersweet

864 35 23
By millawg

Surprisingly, I was awake before the rest of my siblings, but that was due to the fact that I had now become an insomniac, and that I was now starting a new year of school as an upperclassman. School used to have me scared so much, but now that I've faced literal demons, it seemed like just any other day.

I had just finished up cooking strawberry and chocolate chip pancakes when my family seemed to gather around the table. "I was yelling at you for like ten minutes to get up, and here you are spoiling us with pancakes?" Questioned Kinsey before stabbing one pancake with a fork.

"I've been up for a while, how did you not notice I wasn't in bed? Oh, eat up you guys, there is a whole stack-full of those waiting by the stove."

"So, you still haven't been sleeping?"

I froze while scrubbing the pan in the sink. I hated when she did this, she knew I was avoiding it, and she proved anyways. "I have been having a rough couple of nights, so what? You always hated me not waking up, I thought you would think it was a nice change of scenery."

"I would if you were waking up, which you can't do if you don't go to sleep in the first place. Why don't you try talking to mom about seeing someone?" She was stepping on thin ice, I was- I am fine.

"Why? So I can get medicated like half of the teens in America? No thanks, I'll stick to insomnia any day." Lies. Lies. Lies. I just didn't want anyone to know I was struggling, which was obviously failing.

"There is nothing wrong with getting a little help. It's normal to have nightmares that scare you after a traumatic event." I snorted.

"Like you didn't experience the same event? The only difference between you and me right now is that I'm facing my fears. I might be going about it the wrong way, but at least I didn't take the easy way out and drop mine off on the side of the road. Get over yourself and stop talking down to me." Easy tiger, why are you getting so angry? "Wow, I sound like a hormonal bitch. I'm sorry Kinsey, it's just the nerves. You know, me and school, NOT a good combo." I interjected quickly, hoping to recover. More lies, wow, keep it up Lennon. Her hard frown turned soft.

"It's fine really, you're right. I am talking down to you, you're my sister, not some little kid. It's your choice how you deal with this."

"Thanks."

We got into Tyler's car, and Kinsey asked him how Jackie was doing, which he responded with a story of how she remembered using magic, and then she didn't. "Lennon, imagine going into Gabe's head, and him not remembering any of it."

It surprised me, I had never been in his head. He hadn't been in mine either, I was afraid he would find out about my key, which could put him in danger. I had just never thought of it that way.
.......................................

I stepped out of Tyler's car and made my way to the school. I spotted Gabe, who seemed to notice me. "Welcome to the upper class." greeted Gabe as he offered me his arm.

"You're in a good mood."

"Why wouldn't I be? We're juniors now, and I'm with the most beautiful girl in all of Matheson. I can only go up." I stopped him at my locker.

"I'm so happy we're here, together. I don't think I could make it through today without you."

"Well, at least we actually have classes together this year. Last year was almost unbearable." He whispered before cupping my neck. He brought his lips down to mine, and I swear, it feels like the first kiss every time.

"I'd say get a room, but you already have one Gabe. Now next time, for the love of god, please use it." Interrupted Eden, who earned a look of warning from Gabe.

"You know Eden, I think I saw another shallow, desperate blonde girl stepping all over your territory. You better go straighten her out, she went that way." Retorted Gabe who pointed to the left with a glib smile. Eden replied with a sarcastic smirk and walked away. "Maybe we can finish what we started later?" Asked Gabe after looking at the time.

"I don't know, you know how important my school work is to me, but maybe we can work it out. See you in study hall?" I was already walking to my class when Gabe called to me.

"Hey Len, I love you."

"I love you too."

........................................

We met in the library, where Kinsey was showing the magic of the keys to a new friend. We were all chatting and Gabe was rubbing circles on my thumb when a pair of scruffed hands covered my eyes. "Guess who?" I knew that voice from anywhere.

"This is a hard one, could it be that college drop-out I know so well?"

"That one hurt, Mae. I'll admit, but I knew you missed me."

"Missed, enjoyed the distance, what's the difference?" It was Liam, I met him while traveling the country. As I looked at Liam, I realized not much had changed. He still had a muscular build, probably from baseball, and sandy blonde hair. I always had a feeling that he liked me, but I was not looking for a relationship.

"Guys, this is Liam, I stayed with him and his family while traveling. He is the smartest dumb person I know." They we're all getting acquainted, except for Gabe, who looked rather pissed. "What's gotten into you?" I questioned, he had no right to be rude to my friend.

"I thought you didn't have any other nicknames, Mae." Ugh, testosterone.

"It's not a nickname, it's my middle name, and if this is how you show jealousy then I have news: it's not a good shade on you. He is just a friend, a very nice friend by the way. I've told him all about you, and he was excited to meet you. Don't ruin this."

"You wrote to him? Why didn't you tell me?" Is his skull really this thick?

"I cannot believe you, do you even hear what I'm saying? We have come a long way in this relationship, don't let some petty jealousy get in the way." I expressed before walking away with Gabe looking dumbstruck.

"So, Liam, what are you doing here in Matheson? You should have told me you were coming."

"I wanted to surprise you. Plus, my parents think I've started college again, so I couldn't go home."

"Once a drop-out, always a drop out Ivy."

"Ivy?" Questioned Scot.

"This guy here got into almost every Ivy-league school, starts at Harvard, and get this; he drops out six weeks in because got a slight bad grade on a paper." All of the Savinis were laughing, and Gabe decided to quit his temper tantrum by coming over.

"Hey, I'm Gabe, nice to meet you." He went to shake Liam's hand, who reached out and instead gave him a fist bump and hug.

"Gabe, it's great to meet you, I'm Liam. Mae's told me all about you, but I know you exclusively as lobster boy." Gabe was unimpressed to say the least.

"Funny, man, funny. I, exclusively know you as the person my girlfriend forgot to mention."

"Gabe!" I exclaimed, getting in the middle of the two.

"No, it's fine Mae, all jokes. You've got a funny one here."

"Yeah, I'd like to think so, but right now he's just being a jerk."

I looked behind me for Gabe's reaction, but he was already out of the room. Great, now I had to go find him.

.............................................

I couldn't find Gabe anywhere in school, so I decided to wait him out in his dorm. I may seem like an overbearing girlfriend, but he gave me an extra key, so I'm going to use it. While sitting on his bed, I spotted something shiny on his desk. It looked like a bullet, but there was something odd about it. The piece of metal was whispering, and it was a bit annoying to be honest. I put it back on the desk, and then heard the door knob jiggle. Gabe walked in, and he looked like he was expecting me.

"Did you have a fun day avoiding me, hon? Where were you, pouting in the courtyard? Do tell me."

"Look, I was just cooling off. I didn't want to say anything I didn't mean in front of your friend. It's just, you've never told me about him, and he knows about me. Why would you keep that?"

"Honestly, I didn't think he was important enough to mention. I only stayed with him for a month. I was more focused on exploring the country than getting to know him. He only found my address a month ago, and that was when we started writing. If I knew he was going to show up here unannounced, I would have warned you." My hands were on my hips. I could feel my stern position faltering, he was getting through my facade.

"You didn't know he was coming?"

"No, I would never keep that from you."

"Alright, I'm sorry. I shouldn't have overreacted. Can I make it up to you, say Stan's pizza?"

"I would love to." I wrapped my arms around Gabe's neck, this is the first time we've ever really made out in his bedroom. Our lips were still connected when I laid down on the bed. It was getting by a bit heated when my cellphone rang. "I better go, that's my mom." Gabe gave me a fake pained expression.

"Pick you up at six?"

"Sounds great."

After getting dressed for my date, I wondered why Liam had come. His family let many people stay with them, so why was he here, with me? I snapped out of it when I heard Gabe's voice down the hall. Walking out, his face lit up. "You never cease to amaze me, Len."

"Oh shut up, you look great too."

..........................................

"So, do you ever wonder how the keys came to be?" Asked Gabe who then took a sip of his water.

"I told you, my ancestors figured it out."

"We'll yes, I just thought that maybe you acquired some kind of sense of how to do it."

"Me making keys, I don't think so. Unless it's like cooking, I don't think I could ever do that."

We continued our small talk when in walked Liam. He looked dressed to impress.

"Hey, Mae. I went to your house and your brother told me you would you would be here. I'm going to a party tonight, you game? I remember how much you liked them."

I was afraid of how Gabe would react, Liam just popping in and acting like he wasn't there. "Actually, I'm here on a date tonight, rain check?"

Before Liam could speak up, Gabe interjected, "you know what, Len, why don't you go. You guys should catch up and have fun."

"Really? Why don't you come with us?" Without looking at Liam, I could tell he wasn't too impressed with me inventing Gabe, but he would have to deal with it, he's my boyfriend.

"Yeah, man. Join us."

"You know, parties aren't really my scene, but you guys have fun."

"Alright, but come later if you want. I love you, bye."

"Love you too."

.......................................
Liam and I left the diner and he drove us to the party. I spotted some of the members of the Savini squad and waived. I wasn't planning on getting too drunk, but Liam kept handing me drinks. My take on reality was shifting, but Liam was with me, so I wasn't too worried. After a while, one of the drinks Liam handed me made me feel a little funny. My vision was in and out, and my brain felt fuzzy.

Liam led me upstairs telling me I was okay, but I just wanted to go to sleep. I saw Scott giving us an odd look, but I couldn't make any gestures. We made it to a bedroom, where he closed the door, and he seemed a little aggravated to learn that it didn't lock. I crawled onto the bed to take a nap, but Liam turned me to face him.

"It was supposed to be me and you, Mae, not that douche." He was angry, no furious.

"Liam, what are you talking about?" I groaned, clutching my head. I didn't want to talk, I just wanted to lay down.

"You know what I said., now just go to sleep." Before I could protest, I felt my eyes close. I knew then he must have slipped me something, and I was filled with fear of what he might do to me. I kept telling myself to wake up, to get help, to scream, but all that came out was one word: Gabe.

I must have been coming out of the drug faster than anticipated because when I opened my eyes, Liam was hovered over me. I had no top or pants  on, but my bra and underwear were still intact. I let out a small scream, but his hand went over my mouth.

I almost gave in after struggling, hoping to fall back asleep, when the door swung open. I didn't see who it was before whispering Gabe and submitting back into sleep. How could he?

I needed Gabe, but he wasn't here. I shouldn't have taken all those drinks. This was my fault for taking everything he gave me, I fed right into it, and I didn't beg Gabe to come, I blew him off.

It's all my fault. It's all my fault. It's all my fault.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

100K 2.3K 28
ever since will has gone missing, he has been mute. when his family moves to hawkins to have a better life, he meets mike, dustin, max, lucas, and el...
Wrong Guy By tatum

Teen Fiction

416K 15.3K 44
❝Would it be wrong to think - to think, that I could make you so much happier?❞ Fawn Lockhart and Elliott Mass have never gotten along. The water and...
16 0 24
There was not enough time for them. Or maybe, there should have never been one. Two young souls met on an island and kindled a connection that surpa...
158K 3.8K 46
When preteens Dipper and Mabel Pines go to live with their great uncle Stan, they're forced to stay and work at the tourist trap known as the Mystery...