Bitter Affectionate

By pugasoraus

Drew and Brent are best friends. Attached at the hip for all the years that matter. They take care of each ot... More

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
I'M BACK: A/N
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29

Chapter 23

2.3K 100 25
By pugasoraus

"How many bikes do you think are in there?" Brent asked. He was lounging in the bed of my truck, leaned against the back windshield, looking out on the pond. It was an unnaturally warm day, so he was just in jeans and a t-shirt, and he was basking in the sunlight we didn't often get.

"More than ten, for sure," I answered. I was sat sideon, so I could see him. Something about his watchful eye kept me in check. Which was precisely what I needed since I was unravelling at the seams.

"Psh, ten is child's play," He said. "There's probably been ten added in the last year."

"Jump in and count if you're so curious."

"Don't tempt me, man. That pond is just asking me to be in it."

"Gross."

Brent gave me a solid shove, which only made me chuckle more. He rolled his eyes at me, but he was grinning about as much as I was.

"Progress," Brent commented. I didn't grace that with a response. It was too far from the truth. "Look at us, all smiles. You might be able to fool someone into thinking we're normal."

"Someone who never met us, maybe."

"Do you think it's weird?" Brent asked, glancing over at me with a amusingly thoughtful expression. "The way we can just be... okay every so often?"

"No," I replied. "Ups and downs, right? We're just people. We're allowed to be okay."

He looked back out at the pond. His eyes glittered more than the rippling water, and the sun created a halo around him. I hated that even when we were happy, some part of him felt wrong. I'd cure it all if I could. If only I knew how.

"We should get in the pond," He declared. He seemed rather sure of himself, but I still rolled my eyes like he was kidding.

"It's not that warm."

"Always a pessimist," He scolded. He scooted to the edge, so his legs dangled off the truck, and hoisted his shirt off over his head. He tossed it carelessly behind him and began untying his shoes. "Don't you want to do stupid teenage things? We do enough whining, let's get hypothermia and have a story to tell."

I laughed at him as he kicked his sneakers off, letting them thud to the dirt.

Once his feet were bare, he hopped off the truck and turned to face me as he quarreled with the button of his jeans.

"C'mon, I'm not going in alone," He said. I raised a brow at him.

"Oh, I think you are," I teased. "I'm not getting in."

"Oh, I think you are," He repeated. He was very sure of himself, which wasn't a good thing for me. He was very good at getting me to do whatever nonsense he wanted. With the button of his jeans undone, he leaned against the truck, puppy dog eyes on me. "You're not going to sit here and brood while I swim with bikes like the shittest seaworld event ever. And don't ask me if shittest is a word, because I don't care."

"Actually, I was going to say that seaworld is sea creatures and this is a pond."

He narrowed his eyes at me and pursed his lips, as if I could find any part of him truly dangerous.

"Clothes off. Pond time."

He was done with me, then. He turned back to the pond, unzipped his jeans and dropped them to his ankles, leaving him in solid red boxers. He stretched like his clothing had been holding him down.

I shook my head at him, but - like the obedient bastard I was - began to get undressed as well.

I wasn't quite as bold - nor eager - as he was, so I started on my shoes first. I took my sweet time, taking too much pleasure in forcing him to stand in his boxers in the semi-cold air as he waited for me.

It wasn't a cold day. But he was the dumbass who stripped, so he should pay for it.

I had only got my shoes off when he got impatient.

"Dude, hurry up," He whined.

"What's the matter? Cold?"

He shook his head firmly, even though I could see the goosebumps on his arms. "No. But you're taking long on purpose to piss me off."

"It's working," I replied with a shrug. His lack of argument was reassuring. "I'm just giving you plenty of time to realize this is a stupid idea and that the pond is disgusting and it's definitely the wrong season for you to be skinny dipping."

He huffed and put a hand on his cocked hip. "For a gay guy, you're really unenthusiastic about my lack of clothes. Now speed it up. Jesus christ."

I rolled my eyes and tugged off my shirt begrudgingly. "For a non-gay guy, you're really enthusiastic for me to take off my clothes."

"What can I say, you're a sexy devil. Now, I'm dying out here, man. Take mercy on me."

I finally had to concede. I quickly shedded my pants and got up with him. He looked all too pleased with himself.

We descended into the water together. There was no place to jump in (even if there was, it would be too shallow), so we had to approach the waters edge, tense and prepping for the chill to come.

When the water hit my feet, a chill rushed up my entire body. It. Was. Freezing. I heard Brent gasp. I wanted to kill him.

I was considering getting out already, but he was a step ahead of me. He grabbed my arm and tugged me further into the pond.

"If I cut my foot open on broken glass, it's your fault," I warned. He only tugged me harder, pulling me along as the water got up to our knees.

"Pessimist."

"Realist."

"Buzzkill."

"Fair point."

The water rose the farther we went in. He let us stop when the water was just above our waists. I was shivering.

"You're an idiot," I told him. He was grinning proudly. He released my arm and began splashing around, as if it was deep enough to swim. I hugged myself with both arms to try and keep warm. He was creating waves that made things a lot worse, splashing my upper torso and then leaving it in the air to turn into ice. "You're also dead," I threatened.

He laughed, though it sounded like he was shivering through it. I bit my tongue in an attempt to not smile at him. He'd be too tickle-pink if I did.

"Just dip your head under," He said, "It'll make you adjust faster."

"You're a dead man."

"We'll do it at the same time. Ready?"

"Sleep with one eye open."

"Three... two..."

We both pinched our noses and plunged our heads under the water. I managed to peak my eyes open. The water was hardly clear. It had a brown tint to it, and was obviously full of random shit people dumped in. I wouldn't be surprised if a corpse floated by. Some of the bikes Brent was so curious about were around us, partially buried in dirt and plants.

Brent opened his eyes as well. He looked so goofy, with his nose pinched and his cheeks filled with air and his hair moving around like it was alive. After a moment, I started to adjust, just like he said. Well, I was either adjusting or going numb, but either way, it worked. He winked at me. I flipped him off and breached the surface, moderately more comfortable than I began.

I shook like a dog to rid some of the water from my face and eyes. My eyes did burn, which wasn't a great indicator for what we were swimming with.

Brent stayed under for a minute. In the cloudy water, I couldn't really see what he was doing under there. Knowing him, he was probably counting every bike in sight.

I hated to admit it, but I felt a lot better. Maybe even good, to be standing in cold water in my underwear. There was something relaxing about it. Surprisingly enough, here of all places, I was able to breathe.

Brent finally lifted his head, taking in a sharp breath as he did. I was impressed by how long he managed to hold it.

"Alright, I hate to admit it, but you're right," I said with a sigh. Brent was blinking the water out of his eyes, head facing the surface. "You're still a dumbass. But, as gross as it is, this lake is rad."

"The fuck is this?" Brent's voice was low. I hardly heard him, and I couldn't see his face to catch his expression. I looked at his hands and something clicked in my brain.

He lifted his head, eyes bearing into me as he held up a dripping pill bottle, label deteriorating from water damage.

How the fuck did I forget about that?

He was staring at me. Shaking his head slowly. Holding it out in front of me, as if I'd have some explanation that would make it seem better than it was. The bottom line was...

"You lied to me."

A/N: Get ready for Chapter 24 👀

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

181K 5.6K 28
| Novel | Version 1 ~ Published early 2018 ~ Burdened with undeniable romantic feelings for his best friend, Greyson feels as if his life has becom...
197K 8.1K 47
One road trip. That was all that it took to tear Zaavan Fleetwood and Vance Dallas's lives apart. It wasn't fair - walls are always built for a reaso...
60 4 17
Friendships are fragile, but they become important when invested. So are Relationships. But out of those two, which is more important? Would you rath...
37K 1.4K 42
When two lovers' best friends meet for the first time... lots of feelings can rise. Attraction, confusion, lust... love? Will they be able to overcom...