Panic || Klaus Baudelaire

By -STARSOFTHENIGHT

[ ๐—ฝ๐—ฎ๐—ป โ€ข ๐—ถ๐—ฐ (๐—ป๐—ผ๐˜‚๐—ป). ๐˜€๐˜‚๐—ฑ๐—ฑ๐—ฒ๐—ป ๐˜‚๐—ป๐—ฐ๐—ผ๐—ป๐˜๐—ฟ๐—ผ๐—น๐—น๐—ฎ๐—ฏ๐—น๐—ฒ ๐—ณ๐—ฒ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ ๐—ผ๐—ฟ ๐—ฎ๐—ป๐˜…๐—ถ๐—ฒ๐˜๐˜†, ๐—ผ๐—ณ๐˜๐—ฒ๏ฟฝ... More

--- ๐—ฃ๐—”๐—ก๐—œ๐—–
๐—ง๐—›๐—˜ ๐—ช๐—ข๐—˜๐—™๐—จ๐—Ÿ ๐—ฉ๐—ข๐—Ÿ๐—จ๐—ก๐—ง๐—˜๐—˜๐—ฅ'๐—ฆ
๐—ฃ๐—ฅ๐—ข๐—Ÿ๐—ข๐—š๐—จ๐—˜
๐—œ๐—ก๐—ง๐—˜๐—Ÿ๐—Ÿ๐—œ๐—š๐—˜๐—ก๐—–๐—˜
01. The Bad Beginning
03. Reptile Room
04. Venomous Viper
05. The Wide Window
06. Horrifying Hurricanes
07. The Miserable Mill
08. Ominous Optometrist
๐—ง๐—ฅ๐—˜๐—”๐—–๐—›๐—˜๐—ฅ๐—ฌ
09. Austere Academy

02. Marvelous Marriage

264 4 1
By -STARSOFTHENIGHT

Violet, aren't you.....nervous?

Does it matter if I'm nervous?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

★゜・。。・゜゜・。。・゜☆゜・。。・゜゜・。。・゜★

THE SOUND OF COUGHING fills the empty silence, the coughing goes on for a few minutes before revealing the person coughing was Mr. Poe. He coughed into a red handkerchief, with a typewriter in front of him. He stops and licks the the germ infested cloth.

He begins to type on the typewriter and write upon a large stack of papers as he did so. Mr. Poe pressed on the intercom and asked, "Jacquelyn, could you bring the Baudelaire and Silvers file's in here, please?"

"Hello, my name is Lemony Snicket, and I'm sorry to say that the alleged entertainment you are watching is extremely unpleasant."

"Jacquelyn, could you bring the Baudelaire and Silvers file's in here, please?" Mr. Poe repeated.

"From the beginning of this miserable tale to the last melancholy scene, I cannot think of a single line, a single word, that does not chill me to my deepest bones. "

"Jacquelyn, could you bring the Baudelaire and Silvers file's in here, please?" Mr. Poe repeated once more.

"However, the sad history of the Silvers and the Baudelaire orphans did not begin in the private, somewhat ill-decorated office of Mr. Poe at Mulctuary Money Management."

"Jacquelyn, could you bring the Baudelaire and Silvers file's in here, please?" Mr. Poe began to cough once more.

───────✧❁✧───────

Nor does their story begin on this grey and cloudy morning at their home, where the Silvers children, Matthew and Melody received terrible news.

Ashes flew in the air as the once large and proud home of the Silvers stood broken and empty. Melody collapsed on her knee's, her dress and hair sprinkled with ash, tears flowed down her cheeks. As she watched her life fall into ruin before her eyes.

In fact, the tale of the Silvers orphans begins long before the fire which left the children with practically nothing to their names.

The Silvers sibling's look around their blackened home, for something from their former life. Curiously, Matthew picked up a object which suspiciously looked like a spyglass. Melody looks over Matthew's shoulder with a risen eyebrow.

As Matthew attempted to turn the knob's on the object, it quickly shattered in his hands turning into ash. The Silvers sighed disappointed as they allowed the ashes to float away with the wind.

The Baudelaire's live through the exact same tale as the Silvers, as if their fates were intertwined with one another.

Violet took notice of the Silvers and smiled, "I believe, we haven't introduced ourselves. I'm Violet Baudelaire and these are my siblings Klaus and Sunny."

"It's a pleasure to meet you," Melody smiled back. "I'm Melody Silvers and this is my older brother Matthew," The said boy, waved and smiled

This story begins before their brief and unpleasant stay with the Poe family. It begins before the children meet Justice Strauss, a nice lady who, unfortunately, is not their guardian. And before the children were placed under the care of a terrible actor with a mysterious tattoo of an eye on his ankle, who made the children sleep in an awful room, do a series of difficult and irritating chores, and cook dinner for his disreputable and largely untalented theater troupe, resulting in act's of violence that ought to be shown on-screen."

"That money our parents left behind is not to be used until Violet-" Klaus was cut off from Olaf's hand being swung around his face and made him fall to the floor. Melody's eyes widened at the sight and her eyes stung with tears as she listened to Klaus's sorrowful pant.

Count Olaf took another step towards the noirette. He smirked before he shoved her into the table and onto the ground. She heard Olaf's henchmen gasp as she hit the ground. She winced as she felt a bruise forming on her side.

Why? You may ask. Why did the children suffer through this series of unfortunate events? How did the resourceful and intelligent children of kindly and attentive parents end up in the care of Count Olaf? That answer, at least, can be found shortly after the fire that claimed both the Baudelaire and Silvers homes. Inside the private, somewhat ill-decorated office of Mr. Poe at Mulctuary Money Management.

"Jacquelyn, could you bring the Baudelaire and Silvers file's in here, please?" Mr. Poe asks once more.

Mr. Poe, then, thinks back to the other day when the Baudelaire children stayed with him and his family and he met a strange man named Yessica Haircut. He thought as to when Yessica Haircut advised him to dub Count Olaf as the Baudelaire's guardian. His assistant had mysteriously disappeared not to long from Yessica Haircut's arrival.

There are many police inspectors, concerned citizens and television executives who have expressed confusion as to how the Baudelaire orphans ended up in Count Olaf's so-called care. The scene you see behind me is called a flashback. That is a word which here means "taken place during the events of the last episode, shortly after the Baudelaire fire and during the Baudelaire children's unfortunate stay with the Poe family." I present it to you now in the hopes that the police inspectors, concerned citizens and television executives might finally leave me alone.

These events at Mulctuary Money Management resulted in unfortunate events far and near, from a woman trapped in a remote park......to five orphans in horrifying circumstances, as our story resumes.

───────✧❁✧───────

The children were awoken at the early time of dawn, they were immediately forced into chores and as of now they were in the backyard chopping wood, with sweat dripping down their body's. "Put some elbow grease into it!" Olaf exclaimed.

"Mr. Poe must have made a horrible mistake when he took us here," Violet sighed. "There's no way our parents would want us in Count Olaf's care if we can even call it that."

"As soon as Count Olaf's back is turned, we need to leave this house. I'd rather take my chances on the streets then stay here any longer" Klaus said.

"Good luck with that. He'll catch you, last time we tried to run away. He caught us and punished us by...." Matthew trailed off at the end. Making the Baudelaire's look at him in confusion.

"Who knows what would happen to us on the street?" Violet sighed.

"At least we have a roof over our heads.." Melody said softly.

Klaus only sighed in response, "I wish we could use our parents money. Then we could buy a castle and live in it with armed guards patrolling outside to keep out Count Olaf and his troupe." Klaus groaned.

"With a large inventing studio." Violet smiled, agreeing with the idea.

"And a library." Klaus chuckled.

"And chewable objects." Sunny gurgled.

"And we would bring you two with us." Violet added.

Matthew and Melody looked at each other and gave the Baudelaire's a sad smile. "That sounds wonderful," Melody smiled.

"Hurry up, orphans! There's reupholstering to be done." Olaf yelled, his voice bellowed from the steps.

Matthew rolled his eyes with annoyance and then gave Melody another piece of wood. "Justice Strauss said her home was always open to us," Violet suggested.

"She said her legal library was always open to us. It's not the same thing." Matthew interjected.

"Mr. Poe did say we could contact him if we had any questions." Violet shrugged.

"Well, we don't really have a question.." Melody started to say.

"We have a complaint." Klaus finished. The Silvers and the Baudelaire's looked up and heard the conversation between Olaf and one of the henchman.

"Can I warm that up with you? And also give you some very bad news?"

"What is it?" Count Olaf questioned.

"It's that secretary--" The hook-handed man bean but was quickly cut off my Count Olaf.

"Shh! Not here!"

The children look at each other with confused and concerned looks. "I think we should take that opportunity to contact Mr. Poe." Matthew suggested. Melody picked up Sunny and the orphans made their way out of the terrible home and on the way to Mulctuary Money Management.

───────✧❁✧───────

Melody winced at Mr. Poe's cough's, becoming more uncomfortable with each cough. "An emergency?" Mr. Poe said after he finished coughing. "Very well, but I'm quite busy. My old secretary, a distinguished professional who showed up without fail for many years, has vanished. I've hired an underemployed artist with no prior experience who needs the occasional day off for auditions and performances. Plus I've had to reschedule a haircut several times. What can I do for you?"

Melody rolled her eyes and sighed slightly. "Count Olaf is a madman. We can't stay with him!" Klaus exclaimed.

"He struck Klaus across the face. See his bruise? And he shoved Melody into a table." Violet then said but got no reply as Mr. Poe's telephone rang.

Melody groaned quietly and looked down at Sunny. "This man is not of any assistance," Sunny gurgled to her.

"He is no help indeed." Melody whispered back as Mr. Poe came off the phone.

"Oh, excuse me. Poe here. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Absolutely not. Thank you. I'm sorry. What were we talking about? Oh yes, Count Olaf." Mr. Poe said. "I'm sorry you don't have a good first impression of him."

"He only provided us with one bed." Klaus said scathingly. Melody intertwined her hand with his, calming him down.

"He makes us do a great amount of difficult chores." Violet said after.

"He's a lush!" Sunny gurgled, making Melody laugh slightly and then the phone rang again. Melody took a deep breath as Mr. Poe finished his conversation with the person on the other line.

He finally looks up and say's, "Children, everyone, at some time in their life, wishes they were being raised by people different than the ones who are raised them. When I was a little boy, I would have given my eyeteeth to be raised by an actor."

Violet commented, "He call's us orphans."

"You are orphans" Mr. Poe points out.

"He has terrible friends!" Klaus proclaimed.

"I have terrible friends" Mr. Poe states.

Sunny gurgled, "He is clearly after our fortune."

"Speaking of not understanding a word someone is saying!" Mr. Poe broke out into a another fit of coughs before asking, "Children, are you familiar with the term 'in loco parentis?' '"

Melody nodded her head and answered, "Yes."

On her side at the same time Matthew answered, "No."

"It's Latin and legal. 'In loco parentis' means 'Acting in the role of a parent.' It is a legal term and it applies to Count Olaf. The actor as acting as your parent. And as your legal guardian Count Olaf may raise you using any method he sees fit. So I'm sorry if your parents didn't make you do household chores, or if you like their friends more than you like Count Olaf's friends. But there are certain things you must get used to." Melody shot Matthew a miserable look. Mr. Poe stood up out of his chair and began to push the five children out of his office.

"Now, I'm sorry if I have to usher you out posthaste, but I have work to do. 'Posthaste means very-"

"It means he'll do nothing to help us." Matthew grumbled.

"Oh, on the contrary, I'll have my new secretary give you a ride home as soon he's finished typing up that report," Mr. Poe said, ignoring the children. As soon as he said that the door swung open to reveal the hook-handed man. Melody held in her breath once she saw the man.

"I think we need to call the IT guy," he said as he held a broken typewriter on his hook.

"That man works for Count Olaf," Klaus tried to explain to Mr. Poe, but yet again he didn't listen.

"He did say Count Olaf was one of his professional contacts. It was good seeing you, Baudelaire. And Silvers." He smiled before he walked out of his office.

"We're not going back to Count Olaf's house!" Violet shouted. "Look at Klaus' face!"

"Oh, no, no, no orphans," The hook-handed man whispered. The children slowly turned around to see him kneeling down to their level. "Look at mine."

───────✧❁✧───────

"Shall I let them off the hook?"

Matthew eyed Count Olaf suspiciously as he gestured for the children to sit down and the hook-handed man to let go of them. They all sat down and looked at Olaf suspiciously with Matthew. It was of silence as Count Olaf showed a tray of cupcakes towards the children. "I spent all morning making these cupcakes for you." he said.

"Thank you?" the noirette and the elder Baudelaire siblings say together, confused.

While Sunny and Matthew said, "They're store bought."

"Aren't raspberries delicious?" Count Olaf smirked. "They were my favorite berry when I was your age." Olaf continued.

"But we're all different ages except for Melody and Klaus." Violet mentioned. Count Olaf said nothing in reply, he simply slide across the table towards the children. Matthew and Melody shared a look.

"I want to talk to you about something. I recently received a call from Mr. Poe." Olaf said, putting some icing in his mouth.

"Is that so? I'm sorry Mr. Poe bothered you, father." Matthew replied lazily.

"I'm glad he did, because I want you five children to feel more at home here, now that I am your father." Olaf chuckled. Melody tapping her knee nervously, knowing that he wanted something.

"As you know, I have been working hard with my theatre troupe, and I'm afraid I may have acted a bit standoffish." Olaf continued to the children. Matthew winced, at Olaf's grammar.

The word "standoffish" is a wonderful one, but it does not describe Count Olaf's behavior toward the children. "Standoffish" refers to a person who, for various reasons, is not associating with others. It is a word which might describe somebody who, during a party, might stand in a corner instead of talking to another person.

Jacquelyn is seen tied to tree, she had pulled the tree out of the ground and she walked towards the phone booth. She panted as she did so, she kicked the door open and struggled to get inside. She used her foot to grab the phone and dial the number, seeing as her hands were tied as well. She paused before saying, "Gustav? Jacquelyn here."

It would not describe somebody who provides one bed for five people to sleep in, forces them to do horrible chores and strikes them across the face and shove them into a table.

"Therefore!" Count Olaf exclaimed.

There are many words for people like that. But "standoffish" isn't one of them.

"To make you feel better at home here, I want you to participate in my next play." Count Olaf said, putting a raspberry in his mouth.

Matthew raised his eyebrow, 'What is his plan?' he thought. "Participate how?" Melody questioned.

"I'm..." Count Olaf started but then began to choke on a berry. He hit his chest until he spit the berry on the floor. He then stood up on the table, with a proud look on his face.

"The play is called The Marvelous Marriage and is by great playwright Al Funcoot. We will only give one performance this Friday night." he said to the children. Matthew raised an eyebrow when he mentioned only one performance. He found it suspicious as most public plays had several days where the performance was shown.

"It tells the story of a very handsome and good-looking man, played by me." Olaf continued as Melody sniggered under her breath.

"Whoever did the casting for this show obviously picked the wrong choice....'Matthew muttered, as Melody, Violet and Klaus chuckled in response. Luckily the villain didn't overhear the conversation.

"You, Matthew will play a best man. You, Klaus and you, Melody will play as a married couple with their child played by you, Sunny!" Melody blushed when Olaf mentioned she and Klaus had to play a couple and Klaus blushed a little bit as well.

"And what will I do? Build the sets?."

Count Olaf looked down at Violet with a scoffing chuckle. "Build the sets? Oh heavens, no" he said, kneeling to Violet. Melody gave a worried look towards Klaus and he held her hand to comfort her.

"My sister is very good with tools" Klaus said looking away from Melody. Melody bit her lip, she knew he was plotting something.

"A pretty girl like you shouldn't be working backstage." Olaf smirked.

"But I'd like to." Violet pleaded.

"Sunny, Sunny, Sunny.."

"Violet" Matthew corrected with gritted teeth.

"Violet, Violet, Violet...you will be playing the young woman I marry." Olaf repeated.

"It's a very important role, although you only have one line, and I think you know it" he continued.

"I don't.." Violet muttered.

"No, no, no, it's 'I do'." Olaf smirked as Melody tightened her grip on Klaus' hand.

"Count Olaf..." Violet started.

But Olaf stopped her, by saying "What did you call me?"

"Father...I'm not sure I'm talented enough to perform professionally. I'd hate to disgrace your good name and the name of Al Funcoot. Plus, I'll be very busy the next few weeks working on my inventions," Violet explained to Olaf.

"And we'll be helping the Baudelaire's how to prepare roast beef, Father." Melody added.

Olaf stood up and stomped his foot. "You will participate in my theatrical performance!" Olaf whined, like a little spoiled brat. "I would prefer it if you participate voluntarily, but as I believe Mr. Poe has explained to you, I can act Loco Parentheses." Olaf continued.

"In Loco parentis." Melody corrected.

"Poco De Laurentiis."

"In Loco Parentis."

Olaf stamped his foot once more. "The point is, I can order you to participate, and you must obey." Olaf yelled, kneeling back down to the children. Matthew gave his a deathly glare, and Violet squeezed his hand, calming him down. Olaf then took one of the cupcakes and ate it like a wild animal. It was another moment of silence as the children watch him scoff down the cupcake.

"Now go talk to the woman in the wig. I can't stand looking at you anymore.."

───────✧❁✧───────

Melody, Matthew and the Baudelaire's walked up to Justice Strauss' home. "You think he was trying to poison us with those raspberries?" Klaus asked his friends and sisters.

"He ate them all Klaus, and besides, Count Olaf is after the fortunes you, Melody and I will inherit. Killing us would do him no good." Matthew replied.

"He's right." Melody added.

"What good would it do to be in a performance of The Marvelous Marriage?" Klaus asked as Violet rang the doorbell.

"I don't know, but knowing Olaf. I don't think it's a good purpose." Melody responded, looking Klaus in the eyes.

They both stared at each other for a moment until they heard "Get a room." from Sunny and they turned away from each other with small rosy cheeks.

Marriage is like sharing a root beer float, or agreeing to be the back half of a horse costume. Even when it's happening onstage, you should only do it with the people you love. I have never been married myself. I once desperately loved a remarkably brave and bravely remarkable woman, who, when I asked her if she would be my wife, found, for complicated and unfathomable reasons, she could give me no answer.

"No answer." Violet said.

"This has happened before, we can go around from the side and we'll end by her garden and her library." Melody smiled and the Baudelaire's and Matthew followed her.

They walked into Justice Strauss' library, taking in the book scent and the touch of the warm fire, making smiles grow across their faces. Well everyone except Matthew, he looked dully around him. "Baudelaire's, Melody, Matthew! I'm so happy to see you. Are you here to continue your research?" Justice Strauss gasped.

"Actually, Justice Strauss, we're here to research something else. Do you have any books on theater?" Matthew asked and Justice Strauss beamed brightly, walking over to a section labelled 'Theater' .

"Ah, the theater. I see your settling in to having an actor for a guardian." Justice Strauss said.

"I have quite the interest in theater, you know. Learning lines and curtsying for the audience and wearing costumes. I would give up every last wig to just wear a costume." Melody smiled at those words, it remined her of when she was a year younger and she and Matthew was in the library, reading to find a recipe to make for Count Olaf's dinner and Justice Strauss having a fantasy about being an actress.

"Oh, children, could you imagine me on a stage? With the bright lights and the audience ?" Justice Strauss smiled, sliding her wheely staircase across the bookshelves. Twelve year-old Melody sat at a small table, looking up from her workings to Justice Strauss. "I could, Justice Strauss. You have told me that your dream was to be an actress but you gave into law." Matthew chuckled.

"I could imagine you as an actress as well, considering you have a parent as an actor." Melody giggled slightly at her words. "I'm more into medical practices, Justice Strauss, besides acting is not for me." Melody replied.

"Justice Strauss, do you have anything on local ordinances?" Klaus asked.

"She does, I tend to read some of those." Melody said, walking over to the 'Local Ordinances' section.

"Are you considering a career in law?" Klaus asked.

"No, I'm considering a career in medical branch." Melody smiled.

"Wait, Klaus, are you sure?" Justice Strauss asked the glassy-eyed boy.

"Even I don't like reading such books, and I work at the High Court." she continued.

"I'm actually considering a career in law. I find these books quite fascinating." Klaus chuckled.

"Well, to each his own. There are countless types of books in the world, which makes good sense because there are countess types of people." Justice Strauss said.

"Sunny, would you like you to come with me into the garden, while your siblings and Melody and Matthew tackle all this reading?" Melody giggled at Justice Strauss and Sunny. She hadn't seen that much happiness from Sunny since she entered Olaf's home with her siblings. She turned to see Matthew pretending to read a theater book but sneaking glances at Violet.

Melody began to daydream as she gazed off into the distance. "Melody, are you alright?" Violet asked but received no reply.

The children turned towards her, "Melody?" Matthew questioned.

"Melody? Melody?" Klaus asked, shaking her a little.

Melody hummed in confusion as she turned towards him, "What's wrong Klaus?"

"It's just you weren't answering me or Violet, I was...uh! I mean, we were worried for you.." Klaus stuttered.

"I'm okay, Klaus. I tend to daydream for a bit." Melody smiled before sitting next to Matthew. Matthew smiled and wrapped his arm around her.

Violet smiled at Melody and her brother, knowing the connection between them. Soon her eyes shifted towards Matthew, who was reading a thick law book. She could feel her cheeks heat up the longer she stared. As the children tried to research the theater in the books, a certain someone was watching them. Little did they know, was that Olaf was watching them with a certain spyglass from his tower. Matthew knew this happened a few times so when he looked up to the tower from Justice Strauss' window, he gave him a little glare. Olaf glared back at him while gritting his teeth.

"They'll get what's coming..." He growled under his breath.

"Justice Strauss!" Klaus called out.

"Yes?" She replied, coming in as she held Sunny, who was biting on a ripe carrot.

"May I ask you something?" Klaus said as Justice Strauss agreed. Matthew stood up from his chair and walked up the moveable staircase. He scanned through the books and came across one that he never seen before. It read 'The Incomplete History of Secret Organizations' which made Matthew think to himself for a bit. Before he could even question about this book, the door opened to a voice he hated.

"It means you're going to be a star!" Melody huffed and hid her face in her hands.

"Oy!" Sunny babbled.

"Count Olaf..." Justice Strauss said, a bit shocked. Melody rolled her eyes as she looked at Klaus and Violet. Matthew put the book back quietly and came towards Count Olaf and Justice Strauss.

"Please, call me your guardian actor. Justice Strauss, you are about to find your drab, legal beagle existence transformed into something mind-blowing, and yet extremely classy, when you become the exciting new face of the next Count Olaf production. You have got the star quality necessary for a small walk-on role in Al Funcoot's new play."

"I've wanted to to be an actress since I was young. Although, my drama teacher told me my chances were slim because of my posture, and so I went into law, but now..." Justice Strauss pauses.

The children looked at one another, seeing through Olaf's plan. "Now, you can see it. The curtain rises," Olaf envisions.

"Curtain?" Justice Strauss said.

"The audience applauds," Olaf smiled.

"Audience," Justice Strauss added, giggling.

"And you walk onto stage, dressed as a judge. It's a very important part, although you won't be listed in the program. You will stand in front of a very handsome man, played by me....." Count Olaf explains.

"I get to share the stage with Count Olaf?" Justice Strauss smiled.

"While a stunningly-costumed bride, played by Violet, stands beside me." Count Olaf placed Violet by his side, who looked quite annoyed and confused.

"You are so lucky, Violet. All my life I wanted to be a bride, but it seems all the men I meet are intimidated by my law degree, or obsessed with model trains." Justice Strauss sighed dreamily.

"A gorgeous.... bridal dress of my own design..... while you preform the entire wedding ceremony, getting each and every word exactly right, while we sign a document which you shall bring from city hall for added realism." Count Olaf stated.

"Justice Strauss, he's up to some-" The Silvers began to protest before getting cut off by Count Olaf.

Matthew, Melody, my darlings, would you head home? I have something for you..." Count Olaf said as Matthew nearly gagged at the words 'My darlings'. They looked at each other than at the Baudelaire's who gave them sadden looks before looking towards Justice Strauss who paid them no mind, thinking of only herself and her dreams.

"Of course, Father...." Matthew mumbled before walking out, holding Melody tightly.

───────✧❁✧───────

The Hook-Handed man came in while Count Olaf was just getting them in the house. It seemed as though, he had been baking cakes for the play, which seemed suspicious.

"Boss, I have three kinds of buttercream icing here for you to sample. One's vanilla, one has a hint of nutmeg and the other's a little lemony." The Hook-Handed man described as he held a tray with his hooks.

"I told you to never say that word."

Klaus raised an eyebrow, lemon was a type of flavor or flavoring. He saw no reason why Olaf would hold the grunge over the word, lemony.

"Take these orphans upstairs to their bedroom until Friday. I have no use for them until then." Count Olaf, then pushed the children forward.

"Uh, except to cook dinner." The Hook-Handed man added.

"We'll order takeout." Count Olaf scolded picking up a fork.

"We'll gonna find out just what you're up to, Count Olaf." Violet stated as she and her siblings were pushed upstairs.

"We know you're just trying to steal our parent's fortune. We're gonna prove it."

"Let me eat cake," Count Olaf simply stated before tasting each and every cake, liking the lemony one most of all.

───────✧❁✧───────

The Baudelaire orphans were shoved into their bedroom by the hook-handed man, grunting as they did so. "Get into your pajamas and say your prayers, unless you're atheists." He said.

"You can't just keep us in here." Violet replied.

"You know who always says that? Prisoners." The hook-handed man spat.

"Listen to us. Count Olaf is-"

"No, no, no, no. You listen to me, little boy, and you listen to me very carefully. The only reason why Count Olaf hasn't torn you limb from limb is because he hasn't gotten a hold of your fortune. But you ask yourself this question, all of you....what reason would he have to keep you alive after he's gotten your money?"

The Baudelaire's looked around to se Melody and Matthew were nowhere to be seen.

"And I see you all have noticed that the little Silvers are missing.." The hook-handed man smirked.

"What have you done with them?" Klaus growled.

"The Count is giving them a little special treatment at the moment, so they'll be back soon." The hook-handed man replied, smirking.

Klaus and Violet felt their blood boil at those words and Sunny felt scared for Melody and Matthew as she cuddled up to Violet. The henchman then proceeded to close the door after failing a few times.

"This is terrible, terrible!" Klaus exclaimed.

"Awful..." Violet sighed.

"Ghastly." Sunny gurgled.

Suddenly screams of pain bellowed throughout the house. The Baudelaire's blood turned cold. At this time, the Baudelaire's could tell exactly what was happening. Sunny began to cry as Violet held her close. "Shh....it's okay, Sunny, they'll be okay.." Violet whispered.

The Baudelaire's listened to more cries of agony from their friends for a few more minutes. Soon it stopped, the creaking of the floorboards were heard. The door opened to reveal Melody and Matthew.

Matthew's eye was blackened and swollen and his lip blooded and cut, while Melody had bruises littered throughout her arms and legs and a cut on her cheek which was bleeding slightly.

The Baudelaire's began to ask the siblings questions but they stayed silent as they bandaged their wounds. They acted as if this happened almost every night. That's what frightened them. A few hour's later, the children fell asleep, all except Klaus who was reading the book of nuptial law.

Klaus was not reading for his own enjoyment, but to try and rescue his siblings and friends from a terrible predicament. The book was not at all interesting. The book was long and difficult. He found himself reading the same sentence over and over. By nights end, Klaus had found out all he need to know. His hopes rose with the dawn. Although unfortunately........ so did Count Olaf.

───────✧❁✧───────

Count Olaf sat in his dirty dinning room as he sipped his coffee wearing a robe. Klaus came out of the kitchen, holding the book of Nuptial Law. "What are you doing? You're supposed to be in your room."

"I was in my room all night, and I know what you're up to." He stated as he glared upon the count.

"Me? I'm just having my morning coffee, although I can't seem to find the sugar bowl." He sipped the bitter drink, smirking as he did so.

"'The only nuptial requirements are a statement of active acquiescence by both participants, utilizing in loco parentis if necessary, and the signing of an explanatory document in the brides own hand.'" Klaus quoted as he read from the book of nuptial law.

"Let me give you a piece of advice. If you use fancy-pants first thing in the morning, you're going to end up a very lonely man." He stated.

"I figured out your scheme. You're not going to marry Violet figuratively. You're going to marry her literally." Klaus replied.

"Literally? That's outrageous. I.... wait. Literally? Literally."

"You don't know the difference between figuratively and literally, do you?" Klaus sighed in annoyance.

It is very useful, whether one is young or in the late middle age, to know the difference between literally and figuratively. "Literally" is a word which here means that something is actually happening, whereas "figuratively" is a word which means it just feels like it's happening. If you are literally jumping for joy, for instance, that means that you are leaping through the air because you are very happy. "I'm leaping in the air because I'm very happy." If you are figuratively jumping for joy, it means that you are so happy you could jump for joy, but are saving your energy for other matters. "I'm so happy I could jump for joy, but I'm saving my energy for other matters."

"So literally would be an actual marriage, whereas figuratively would be marrying her for the purposes of theatrical entertainment," Klaus further explained.

"I knew that. I was just testing you"

"If my eldest sister says 'I do' and signs a piece of paper while Justice Strauss is in the room, she's legally married. This play won't be pretend. It'll be real and legally binding," Klaus stated.

"I wouldn't marry your sister if she were the last orphan on earth. A man like me can acquire any number of woman who don't complain about doing their chores. What's in it for me?" Count Olaf scoffed.

"A legal husband has titular and practical control over any relevant fiduciaries, resulting in aggregate financial domination over any spousal holdings." Klaus opened his book and recited a part once more.

"I don't think a boy your age ought to be using the word 'titular.'" Count Olaf snickered, stirring his coffee.

"If you become Violet's husband, you'd gain complete control over the Baudelaire fortune. But...... a prospective spouse must be chronologically sound and appropriate in regards to the age consent according to prevailing community standards. My eldest sister isn't old enough to get married, even if she wanted to. You couldn't marry Melody either," Klaus realized.

"Tell me, bookworm..... can you name me a language that was spoken by ancient Roman's and is still spoken by very irritating people today?" Count Olaf asked, leaning towards him.

"Latin...." Klaus answered, confused as to where he was going with this.

"That's right. And can you translate the Latin phrase in loco parentis?" Count Olaf asked.

"Acting in the role of parent," Klaus answered.

"That's right. And that's me. You see, Violet can get married if she has the permission of her legal guardian. And she does. In fact.... she has more than permission. She has enthusiasm," Count Olaf smirked.

"All the enthusiasm in the world won't get us to participate in your horrible plot! Mr. Poe will hear about this. Your play will not be performed, and you will go to jail!" Klaus exclaimed before walking away.

♫ Here comes Count Olaf ♫

♫ Throw the rice pilaf ♫

Violet and Melody awoke to find that Klaus wasn't in the bed anymore. Both girls began to panic, thinking that Count Olaf might have done something to him. They quickly got dressed and woke Matthew up, who muttered curses under his breath while getting ready. They ran downstairs, leaving Sunny in the bedroom to let her get some more sleep. The three children made it halfway down the stairs when they heard the theater troupe's awful singing and saw Klaus shoving his way past them.

Count Olaf emerged from the dining room and the horrible singing stopped, he spoke, "Sorry to interrupt, everyone, but that brave and clever boy with the horrible glasses has just figured out or dastardly plan."

The troupe let out a dramatic gasp as Olaf carried on, "Yes. Thanks to his stupendous library book, the orphans have achieved a grand victory over our evil ways.

"Oh no." One white-faced woman said.

"Whatever will we do?" The other white-faced woman replied.

"I guess we will go to jail."

"For a very long time," The white-faced woman finished each others sentences.

The henchperson of indeterminate gender said, "I guess that proves reading really is fundamental."

"Violet, do you think your booky little brother is very brave and clever?" Count Olaf asked.

"His work speaks for itself," Melody stated with crossed arms.

"Count Olaf wants to marry Violet for real, while you and Justice Strauss and everyone else thinks it's just a play." Klaus explained.

"But Violet isn't old enough to get married," Matthew said, gritting his teeth.

"You can with the permission of your legal guardian." Klaus explained.

"In loco parentis. We have to get Sunny and get out of this wretched place." The children went up the stair's, rushing to get the small infant.

───────✧❁✧───────

As the bedroom door creaked open, the Baudelaire siblings rushed in. "Sunny. Wake up." Violet called out.

"Sunny." Klaus called before they pulled the sheet's of the bed to reveal the clump in the bed was not Sunny but a pile of blanket's.

"Where is she?" Matthew questioned as he and his sister walked into the room.

"Where is she indeed? It certainly is so strange to find a children missing, and one so small, so helpless. When did you see her last?"

"What have you done with Sunny?" Violet growled.

"Here, Sunny, Sunny. Where are you, girl?" Count Olaf cupped his hand around his ear and asked, "Did you hear that? It came from outside."

The children looked at one another before rushing out of the bedroom past Count Olaf and into the backyard. "Sunny?" Violet called out once more.

"Oh, you're not looking in the right place. For children who read so much, you four are remarkably unintelligent."

"She's not here," Matthew muttered.

Olaf chuckled softly, "Oh, don't look so down. I'd say things are looking up, up... up." The five of them looked up to see Sunny in a very large birdcage with duct tape over her mouth and rope around her arms.

"Oh, no." Klaus muttered softly.

"Let her go. She's done nothing to you. She's an infant," Melody pleaded as Violet nodded beside her.

"Well, if you really want me to let her go, I will. But even a stupid brat like you might realize that if I let her go, or more accurately, if I have my comrade let her go......"

"Hi." The hook-handed man waved from the tower.

"Sunny might not survive the fall to the ground. That's a 30-foot tower, which is a very long way for a very small person to fall, even when she's inside a cage. But if you insist."

"No, don't" Klaus and Violet exclaimed.

"Please, she's just a baby," Melody yelled

"We'll do anything, anything. Just don't harm her." Violet sighed.

"Anything? Anything? Would you for instance, consider marrying me during tomorrow night's performance?" Count Olaf mocked.

"I would never, ever marry you." Violet scoffed.

"Children....your sister is like a stick behind a stubborn mule."

"My sister's not a stick." Klaus stated as Olaf chuckled.

"Any animal owner will tell you that a stubborn mule will move towards the carrot because it wants the reward of food...... and away from the stick because it wants to avoid the punishment of rump pain. Likewise you will do what I say, to avoid the punishment of the loss of your sister. And because you want the rewards of a charming husband."

The children looked at each in utter disgust, who in the right mind would willingly marry Count Olaf? Count Olaf shoved Matthew, Klaus and Melody as he said, "Come on, now. Would it be so terrible to by my bride, to live in my house for the rest of your life? You're such a lovely girl. After the wedding, I wouldn't dispose of you like your brother and sister and the Silvers boy."

"If you let Sunny go..... I will marry you." Violet sighed.

"Mazel tov." The troupe cheered not so enthusiastic as many people would be, throwing rice at their direction.

"I will let Sunny go after tomorrow night's performance. Until then, she will remain in the tower room for safekeeping. That's all." Count Olaf stated as he took the Nuptial Law book out of Klaus's hand and walked away.

"You're a terrible man," Melody exclaimed as her voice shook with anger.

"I may be a terrible man, but I have concocted a foolproof way of getting your fortune's. What have you done?" Count Olaf smirked. Sunny shifted around in her cage as Violet pulled out a ribbon and began to tie her hair back. The children looked at the infant in determination, they were going to get back..... somehow.

───────✧❁✧───────

Jaquelyn walked through the dimly lit tunnel's with a enormous tree tied behind her. Her high heel's the only sound in the area. "I wish I had an inventor here." She sighed.

A figure of man walked in saying, "I was thinking the same thing."

Jaquelyn turned around in shock before saying, "Gustav."

"Jaquelyn." He replied, walking towards her.

"You came." She said in relief.

"You sent for me." Gustav shrugged.

"Things are disastrous. Everything's gone wrong."

"I thought so. Dr. Montgomery and I were expecting the Baudelaire children days ago. Dr. Montgomery's supposed to be their new guardian. That's what the Baudelaire parent's wanted, in case of fire. What went wrong? Why haven't we seen them?" He sighed.

"Mr. Poe listened to the advice of a consultant as he did with the Silvers."

"A consultant? Dear God. Why would anyone listen to a consultant?" Gustav questioned.

"I'll give you a hint. His name rhymes with rice pilaf. Are you free Friday night to attend the theater? We might be able to get things back on track without calling attention to ourselves."

"Of course. But what shall we do until then?" He questioned.

"Could you cut these rope's for me?" She asked.

Gustav grabbed a small pair of scissors before saying, "The children must be so frightened."

"We're all frightened, Gustav."

───────✧❁✧───────

"Sunny must be so frightened," Klaus sighed as he looked out the window of their tiny bedroom.

"We're all frightened, Klaus." Melody smiled, placing a hand on his shoulder.

"You should get some sleep," Violet added as she began to pull apart Klaus' bed.

"But you're dismantling my bed." Klaus pointed out.

"Use Sunny's. You stayed up all last night trying to find out Count Olaf's plot. It's my turn."

The Baudelaire sibling's walked over and sat upon the small bed. "It didn't help us," Klaus stated as he hugged himself.

"Yes you did. You just didn't finish the job," Melody replied.

"Remember when our parent's first brought Sunny home?" Violet sighed.

"She bit the doorknob off the nursery." He sighed.

"Mother and Father....... they made me promise to always look after you two and make sure you don't get into any trouble. Let me keep my promise."

Matthew bitterly smiled as his green eyes darkened, as a memory flashed within his mind.

Stella and Simon Silvers stood inside a large nursery, cradling a small bundle of blanket's which held Melody Genesis Silvers, Matthew's brand new baby sister. Stella gestured Matthew over, Matthew smiled before waddling over. Stella placed him on her lap, stroking Matthew's hair as he got comfortable.

"Baby?" Matthew questioned, pointing a small finger at the infant.

"Baby," Stella smiled as Simon kneeled down next to them.

The Silvers parent's looked at one another before his mother spoke up, "Matt, this is a very important promise I need you to keep, ok?" Matthew simply nodded in agreement, his green eyes practically glowing in excitement as he glanced towards his baby sister.

His father cleared his throat, "Will you Matthew William Silvers, promise that you will take care of your sister and keep her safe from the evil that is in the world?"

"Yeah!" the 3-year-old agreed with a toothy grin.

Having a brilliant idea isn't as easy as turning on a light. But just as a single blub can illuminate even the most depressing of rooms, the right idea can shed light on a depressing situation. As inventing workshops go, Count Olaf's bathroom was small and dimly lit. But the inventing area in Violet mind was large and bright.... and inside of it was everything she needed.

Late at night, Count Olaf and his henchmen were preparing the details of the play, trying on dresses for both girls and working out the minor details. However, while Matthew, Klaus and Melody tried to get a good night's sleep, Violet made an invention that would carry her up to the top of the tower to rescue Sunny.

Violet had walked outside quietly, holding her backpack-like invention and a rope that would carry her through the air. She made sure not to make any noise as she took four attempts to get the rope on the line that Sunny was dangling from. She took a deep breath. "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science." Violet recited as she levitated in the air.

Violet rose an eyebrow as she suddenly stopped, she looked up to see the hook-handed man blocking her way wearing a grim smirk. He chuckled deviously before saying, "How pleasant that you could join us." He shoved Violet in, grunting as he did so.

"What are you going to with me?" Violet questioned.

"I said have a seat."

"No, you didn't," Violet scoffed.

The hook-handed man looked down in disbelief before yelling, shaking his hook's around aggressively. Violet quickly took off her invention and sat down. The hook-handed man began to shuffle around, grabbing a walkie-talkie from his pocket. After an awkward conversation with Count Olaf on the walkie-talkie, the hook-handed man said, "Count Olaf is very displeased with his bride."

"I'm not his bride," Violet stated with her arms crossed.

"Oh, very soon you will be. Which means that I will soon be your henchperson-in-law." The hook-handed man grinned.

The hatch opened to reveal Count Olaf shoving Matthew, Melody and Klaus into the tower room. "You know, some people say that the hardest job in the world is raising a child. But it is nothing compared to conceiving, writing, directing, producing and performing in a theatrical presentation for the purposes of stealing their dead parent's fortune's. Its a very difficult job, and I will not have any orphan's mucking it up."

"You'll never touch our fortune's," Klaus exclaimed.

Count Olaf only smirked as he climbed into the tower. He stood next to Melody, as he placed a hand on her shoulder, "Klaus.... I'll touch whatever I want." Melody cringed as his grimy fingers dug into her shoulder.

"When the sand runs out in the.....um.... whatchamacallit......... your sister will be married to me." Count Olaf slammed an hourglass on the ground for them to watch.

"What happened? Why are we up here?" Klaus asked, confused as of why they were shoved up here.

"Tried to rescue Sunny using an invention of mine to climb up the tower." Violet admitted.

"It's so high. You must have been terrified." Matthew said.

"It's not as scary as the thought of marrying Count Olaf." Violet sighed.

"I'm sorry it didn't work," Melody said softly.

"The invention worked fine. I just got caught. We've got to rescue Sunny and get out of here before the sand runs out of the hourglass."

The children looked back towards the hourglass to see that all the sand had run out. The hatch opened once more as Count Olaf explained, "I didn't realize the sand went so quickly. I bought it online. You're gonna need to flip it a couple times, like, okay? And don't touch the baby!"

"It's going to be okay, Sunny," Melody cooed.

"Just hang in there," Matthew sighed.

"Seriously?" Sunny babbled although it was slightly muffled by the tape.

"It's okay. He didn't mean it as a joke." Melody smiled.

"Do you think you could invent something to help us escape?" Klaus questioned.

"Maybe," Violet simply sighed. "Do you think you can draw a visual for me?"

"Maybe. Klaus, do you think you could research a way to get us out of the wedding?" Melody asked.

"Maybe." Klaus simply stated.

I am certain that over the course of your own life, you have noticed that certain rooms reflect the personalities of the occupants. For instance...... in my own lonely room, I have...... gathered a collection of things which are important to me, including all of my notes on the Baudelaire and Silvers orphans, a few crucial objects that I have gathered in my travels and........ a blurry photograph....... taken a long time ago, of a woman named Beatrice, which I look at from time to time while writing this account from across what was once a prominent theater, no more able to help the Baudelaire's and Silvers than the objects they found in Count Olaf's tower room.

"If we had kerosene, we could make Molotov cocktails with those old wine bottles," Matthew suggested.

"What are Molotov cocktails?" Klaus questioned.

"They're small bombs," Violet added.

"If we throw them out the window, we could attract attention. But we don't have any kerosene." Melody said.

"If you don't say 'I do' and you don't sign the document with your own hand, then you won't be legally married." Klaus stated.

"But then Olaf will drop Sunny off the tower," Matthew interjected.

"Certainly would. Come orphans. It's time for the big event. My associate here..... will stay with your sister and we will be in constant contact with the use of these walkie-talkie's. If anything goes wrong during tonight's performance, your baby sister will be dropped to her death. Shall we?" Count Olaf explained.

"We'll be back, Sunny. Don't worry." Melody smiled, looking at her in concern.

The children walked out of the room, unsure if they would see her ok in the end.

───────✧❁✧───────

Melody sat next to behind the stage, wearing a baby blue dress with lace that reached too her knee's, her was styled long and wavy with small white flowers here and there, and too her surprise, the dress was quite pretty.

and walked in, Klaus wore a sailor suit with a hat and all, much to his embarrassment and Matthew wore a simple grey suit. Klaus sat down next to Melody, letting her to lean her head on his shoulder. "I like your dress," Klaus commented.

"Thanks. I like your suit," Melody giggled as Klaus' face flushed.

Matthew walked over near the curtains where the play could be seen. "This can't be happening," Matthew muttered. Violet sighed before standing up and walked over where Matthew stood.

"What other choice do we have? Sunny is in danger!" Violet replied.

Matthew sighed, running a hand through his messy hair, "Violet, aren't you.... nervous,"

"Does it matter if I'm nervous?"

"I suppose not," Matthew chuckled. Melody and Klaus' head turned back and forth as if it were a tennis match.

They leaned towards each other, their face's close to each other. Unfortunately the moment didn't reach it's potential. For the wedding music began to play as the hook-handed man shoved them out of their seats. Melody and Klaus hooked arms and followed Violet and Matthew out onto the stage. She faced Justice Strauss who showed a look of stage fright.

"Say your line....." Olaf whispered.

"Do you take this woman to be your lawfully wife?" Justice Strauss blurted out.

Olaf did a grim smirk before signing the paper, saying "I do."

Melody sighed with tears flowing. While Matthew looked away with a pained look. "We're done for....." She mouthed to Klaus.

"Do you take this woman-man to be your lawfully wedded husband?" Justice Strauss said to Violet. Violet looked to Olaf, who was shaking the radio in his hand. Violet looked at Melody and Klaus, who only nodded towards her which gestured for her to sign the paper.

She looked at Matthew, who avoided her gaze. Violet took the quill and signed the paper. "I do..." She finally said. Melody gripped Klaus' hand shaking a little.

"By the powers vested in me, by going to law school, I now pronounce you Count and Countess." Justice Strauss said and the music raised again. Melody tears didn't stop as she held on Klaus' hand tighter. Olaf gestured for the band to stop with a smirk.

"Ladies and gentleman, I'd like to make an announcement. There is no need to continue with tonight's performance." Mr. Poe started to clap when no one else did, making Matthew snigger.

"For it's purpose has been served. This has not been a scene of fiction, my marriage to Violet Baudelaire is perfectly legal and I am no in control of her entire fortune." Olaf announced as the audience gasped and murmured in response.

"That can't be true!" Justice Strauss exclaimed.

"On the contrary, Judgikins, the law of the land clearly states that the bride must say 'I do' and sign the appropriate document in her own hand. And all of you, ladies and gentleman, are witnesses." Count Olaf responded.

"Violet is only a child. She's not old enough to marry!" Mr. Poe yelled over the crowd.

"She is if her legal guardian allows it, and in addition to being her husband, I am also her legal guardian." Olaf smirked. Melody felt even more tears falling down her cheeks, Olaf had won.

"There has to be a way out!" Matthew muttered.

Then he remembered, Violet had signed the document with her left hand. She was right-handed! Matthew smirked and Violet saw. "But that piece of paper's not an official document. It's.....it's a stage prop!" Justice Strauss argued.

"If you look closely enough, I think you'll see that it is figuratively real."

"Literally." Klaus corrected.

"I said literally.." Olaf scoffed.

"I'm afraid this marriage is entirely binding....Violet, you said 'I do' and signed this paper in your own hand. Count Olaf, you are now Violet's legal husband." Justice Strauss said, looking up from the document.

"And?" Olaf questioned.

"And a vile and terrible person!" Justice Strauss yelled.

"A vile and terrible person who is in complete control of the Baudelaire's entire fortune." Olaf sneered.

"But I'm not stopping there, Melody, you're next!" Melody gulped as Klaus grabbed her hand once more.

"Don't even think of laying a finger on her!" Klaus and Matthew yelled. "Aw, how cute but now is not the time for brotherly love or fantasy romance....." Olaf smirked.

"This is absolutely horrendous! I won't allow it!" Mr. Poe exclaimed.

"I'm afraid there's nothing you can do." Olaf replied.

"Count Olaf is correct. This marriage is legally binding..." Justice Strauss sighed. "I am so sorry, children! I can't believe how easily I was tricked!" She then cried.

"You were easily tricked! It was child's play, winning this fortune. And now, a reception to celebrate my special day. Hit it!" Melody sighed, she had enough of this nonsense.

"Stop the music! Before any of this stupid celebration, you will let Sunny go!" She demanded as the music stopped and everyone faced her.

"Where is Sunny?" Justice Strauss asked.

"I'm afraid she's tied up at the moment, if you'll forgive my little joke." Olaf chuckled before sipping on some wine.

"You promised to let her go!" Melody said.

"Oh, and what kind of husband would I be if I didn't keep my promise?" Olaf smirked, trying to place his hand on Violet's cheek but getting slapped away by her. "Drop the pipsqueak to her death." Melody's eyes widened at those words.

Fortunately, the back door opened to the hook-handed man with duct tape over his mouth whilst he was pushing a wheelbarrow with Sunny in it. "Buttercup!" Melody cried.

"Melody!" Sunny gurgled with a bright smile.

"So you escaped, you little dishrag. Well, I'm still married to Violet, and I will dispense with you on our honeymoon." Olaf threatened, before walking back to Violet. "Care to dance Countess?"

"I'm not a Countess, at least I don't think I am" Violet interjected.

"And why not, pray tell?" Olaf asked, raising an eyebrow.

"I didn't sign the document in my own hand, as the law states." Violet added.

"Don't lie to me, orphan, everyone saw you!" Olaf exclaimed.

"Yes, there were several hundred witnesses, not to mention those on the mezzanine." Justice Strauss said.

"Violet is right-handed and she signed the document with her left hand." Matthew said, crossing his arms.

"Well that doesn't count. You're just being a sore loser and trying to ruin my special day," Olaf spat.

"It actually does, from what I've read." Melody smirked.

"And with all due respect, I think Justice Strauss ought to tell us if it counts as well." Matthew added.

"That's right. That's right. I should tell you, I am a judge! Let me think..."

It was a few moments of silence throughout the theater as everyone waited for Justice Strauss' answer. "I don't know." She finally said, making the crowd groan.

"You should never be afraid to admit that you don't know something. This is a very complicated case. It would take a formidable legal scholar to solve it," Melody turned to see Klaus, giving one of the pale-faced twins the ring holder he was holding and walking to the center of the stage.

"May I have a blackboard please?" He asked.

As you can imagine, Klaus' legal argument had all the apocryphal insight of Thurgood Marshall and the moral plomb of Ida B. Wells, a phrase which here means it was thoroughly impressive and utterly convincing.

"And so, as Martin Luther King said, "Morality cannot be legislated, but behavior can be regulated. Judicial degree's may not change the heart......... but they can restrain the heartless," Klaus educated, having Justice Strauss join in as he explained the quote.

"Ah! That moral argument had all the apocryphal insight of Thurgood Marshall and the moral plomb of Ida B. Wells. It was thoroughly impressive and utterly convincing. And I'm happy to say that because Violet, who is right-handed, signed the document with her left hand, the marriage is invalid." Justice Strauss said, making the orphans sigh in relief.

"Well, you may not be my wife, but you are still my daughter." Olaf growled.

"Do you honestly think I will allow you to take care of these five children after the treachery I've seen here tonight? I've even considered firing your associate as my secretary." Mr. Poe stood up, coughing.

"Hear, hear!" Mr. Poe's secretary stood up, coming down the steps.

"Jacquelyn, is that you? Where have you been?" Mr. Poe asked.

"I was kidnapped by Count Olaf's associates and tied to a tree before I could tell that the Baudelaire's uncle, Dr. Montgomery, was designed by the parents a their legal guardian and has been waiting to hear from you."

"Dr. Montgomery?" Violet questioned.

"I've never heard of him..." Klaus wondered.

"Well, you are hereby rehired as my secretary with an 8% increase in salary. The Baudelaire's and the Silvers will be sent to a suitable guardian and this series of unfortunate events has come to a close!" Mr. Poe announced, and for the first time his words made Melody smile but she had one question in mind.

"Does this mean they would be separated from the Baudelaire's? "As for you, Count Olaf-" But Mr. Poe could not continue as the lights went out and everything was pitch black. Melody felt someone close closer to her, making her shiver.

"I'll get my hands on all of your fortune's if it's the last thing I do. And when I do I will tear you and your little friends from limb from limb." The lights came back on and Melody looked around to see Olaf and the pale-faced twins gone.

"Olaf?! He's escaped!" Mr. Poe exclaimed.

"Wait until the readers of the Daily Punctilio hear about this!" Mrs. Poe added.

"You have to capture him, you have to go after him!" Violet said.

"You let the authorities worry about that. You children come home with me." Justice Strauss smiled.

"Sorry, but the children must come with me. I cannot allow the Baudelaire's to be raised by someone who is not a relative but you may take the Silvers if you'd like."

"Mr. Poe, the Silvers can not live with Justice Strauss. they must go with the Baudelaire's to Dr. Montgomery as well. Just like their parent's will states." Jaquelyn interjected. Justice Strauss looked at the children before hugging them.

"Well, goodbye children. I'll miss you very much.." she sighed.

"We'll miss you too..." The children said all together.

"Come along children." Mr. Poe said. Melody grabbed Sunny from the wheelbarrow, smiling at her. Sunny gave a happy gurgle and grabbed Melody's nose, making the noirette giggle.

During this time, Count Olaf and his troupe were underground in the tunnels that lie under their city. Heading to a fixed destination. At the same time, Gustav was taken down by a tranquilizer gun and fell into the pond, succumbing to death by drowning. As Jacquelyn tried to continue the conversation with him, all she could hear was static.

Some things in life are difficult to understand, even after years and years of thinking about' em while wandering alone through desolate landscapes, usually during the off-season.

After getting in the car with Mr. Poe, all the children could do is look at the theater, where their life's took a confusing and tedious turn. The children could not understand why they were now off toward an unknown relative instead of living with Justice Strauss. But as with so many unfortune events in life, just because you don't understand it, doesn't mean it isn't so.

"Usually, our theatrical reviews are the most boring part of the paper. But I bet you little stage hogs are about to make the front page again. The front page!" Eleanora Poe chuckled, looking upon the photo's she had taken. Matthew simply rolled his eyes as he looked out the window.

It seemed to the children that they were moving in an aberrant, a word which here means "very, very wrong, and causing much grief" direction.

And just like that, they were sent off to the ever mysterious Dr. Montgomery. 

★゜・。。・゜゜・。。・゜☆゜・。。・゜゜・。。・゜★

❝They say in every library there is a single book that can answer the question that burns like a fire in the mind.❞

Word Count: 10396 - 31.4 pages

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

38.4K 1.6K 95
"Family isn't always blood. It's the people in your life who want you in theirs; the ones who accept you for who you are. The ones who would do anyth...
3K 62 20
Jenny, Pheonix, Francine, Wyatt, and Bree were always outsiders at Prufrock Prepatory School. They were always the bullied ones. When the orphans arr...
1.8K 50 35
Xalia Squalor is exactly who she wants to be. She's pretty, she's rich, and she is famous. But there is one small thing. She doesn't have a full tea...
222K 5.4K 28
"this tale is all sorrows and woes" in which natalia lexington befriends the baudelaire orphans and, together, they try to solve the mysteries that s...