Between the Lies

By NightTime_Storiexs

Vanessa: There's nothing I hate in this world more than I do Aaron Sinclair. Hate is the only word for it. I... More

Aesthetics
1| Rival
2| Game
3| Win
4| Secret
5| Service
6| Coffee
7| Team
8| Order
9| Lose
10| Act
11| Lace
12| Stranger
13| Dark
14| Together
15| Heart
16| Team
17| Ours
18| Close
19| Maui
20| Share
21| Suite
22| Questions
23| Sunset
24| Fire
25| Picture
26| Cozy
28| Hidden
29| Trust
30| Almost
31| Alcohol
32| Fallen
33| Real
34| Changed
35| Scared
36| Dance
37| Promised
38| Purgatory
39| Home
40| Epilogue
!!!Next Book!!!

27| Friend

23.5K 1K 844
By NightTime_Storiexs

┏━━━✦❘༻༺❘✦━━━┓

Friend

┗━━━✦❘༻༺❘✦━━━┛

Chapter 27: Friend (Vanessa's POV)

We sat at the dinner table with everyone else who was still chatting animatedly. It looked like today failed to tire any of us out but me. It's been a long ass time since I even traveled, let alone took a hike in the woods to see a waterfall. I wanted a bed and I was craving sleep, not more margaritas that came free with the dinner.

"All right, who wants to know what we're doing tomorrow?" Davidson asked his audience.

Everybody either asked him to tell us.

"Tomorrow, in the afternoon, we will first be going to the beach. We get to spend some time there and then I have booked us all for snorkeling! Now, we're a lot of people, so we split it up into four ships. After snorkeling, we can come back to the hotel or stay at the beach a little longer, whatever we please."

"And then we have dinner at a restaurant nearby while watching dance performances," Judith added. "We'll leave tomorrow at two, so about an hour after lunch. Snorkeling is of course optional, by the way."

"But I suggest everyone take part. You don't get to snorkel in Maui every day," Davidson shrugged.

Everybody broke off into their own conversation about tomorrow, most people seeming excited.

"Will you snorkel?" I turned, asking Aaron.

He put his wine down and faced me. "Yeah. Won't you?"

"Don't know," I shrugged.

"Why?"

I eyed him for a minute and then thought:

We're friends now. Friends tell each other things. Plus, this isn't something he can use against me. Not really, anyway.

"I'm kind of scared of deep waters."

He hummed, nodding in understanding while staring at me. "What scares you about them?"

"Not knowing what's at the bottom. Or well, if there is a bottom or if it's just endless water I could drown in."

"Can you swim?"

"Mm-hmm," I nodded.

"Then you won't drown."

My eyes narrowed. "People who swim can drown."

"Yeah, but they're less likely to. Plus, there will be instructors there, we'll all be there."

I shrugged, not totally convinced.

"I'll be there."

I met his eyes. "I know that."

"So, I won't let you drown, okay?"

"Okay," I said slowly, "what if a shark attacks me? You know Maui has the most tiger shark sightings."

"We'll be fine, Vanessa. Trust me. Plus, if we see a shark, I think the divers will get us out of there pretty fast."

"You trust divers with 'pretty fast'?"

"I do," he nodded. "Like Davidson said, 'you don't get to snorkel in Maui every day.'" He shrugged.

I took another sip of my wine before telling him, "I never thought friendly Aaron would be like this."

"Well, what did you think friendly Aaron would be like then?"

"I don't know. I never thought Aaron would want to be my friend."

He lifted a brow and then leaned in a little closer. "You thought wrong," he whispered.

I watched him half in surprise, half in amusement. I glanced at my empty plate and the little wine left in my glass. I finished it and then sighed, turning to him yet again. "I'm kind of tired. Do you mind if I go to the room first? I kind of just want to sleep."

He downed the last sip of his wine and replied, "I'm done eating too. I'll go with you."

"You can stay if you want to talk to them a bit longer."

"Hmm well, do I ever want to talk to people?"

"True," I chuckled, both of us standing up. Everybody's attention was suddenly on us.

Aaron grabbed my hand on cue as we stepped past our chairs. "We're going to call it a night, everyone," he announced.

"Oh, you're going to call it a fun night," Jade teased, looking at me from where she sat beside me.

I shot her a glare, fighting the age to yank on her hair. I sighed, waving at everyone as we took a step back. "Goodnight, everybody," I said before we turned around, walking back inside and towards the staircase. "You really didn't have to come with me," I said, turning to look at him.

"I don't mind. I'm kind of tired myself," he shrugged. We climbed up the stairs and walked to our room. I realized he was still holding my hand when he had to drop it to unlock the door. He held it open for me, nodding towards the room.

"Wow, Aaron Sinclair holds doors for me now. Even when we're alone," I snickered, walking in and taking my sandals off by my suitcase.

"Apparently, he does," he mumbled. "Do you want to take a shower first?"

I groaned, remembering that we still have to shower. "Yeah, actually. I'll take one first if I don't fall asleep in there," I huffed, grabbing a fresh set of pajamas and then leaving my bag on the TV cabinet. I went into the bathroom, keeping my hair pulled back in a bun and taking a quick shower. I got dressed and made it out of the bathroom and found him standing out on the patio, on his phone. I didn't think eavesdropping was a good idea so I just went and sat on my side of the bed, plugging my phone on charge.

"Quand viens-tu ici?" I heard him ask.

My eyes widened a bit as I slipped under the covers. In all the time I've known him, I've never actually heard him speak French. He's never spoken to his mother around me before.

"D'accord. À demain soir."

I have no idea what he just said.

"Bye," he said before hanging up. I grabbed my phone before he turned and caught me staring at him. He walked back in, closed the door, and said, "Hey."

"Hey," I replied, putting my phone back on the nightstand. "Was that your mom?"

He nodded. "She'll get here tomorrow evening."

"How come you never told me she was the Harmony Martin?"

"Hmm, maybe because to me she's always just been 'mom'?" I chuckled as he grabbed his clothes, leaving his phone on his nightstand. "I'll be right back."

I nodded as he walked into the bathroom. While I lay there by myself, I thought about how he sounded when he spoke in French. As if his voice wasn't already deep enough as it is, it sounded even deeper in French, even smoother.

I could fall asleep to him telling me sweet nothings in French. But then again, that's not a thought I should be having, not to mention, it's never going to happen.

My phone rang and snapped me out of my thoughts. It was my mom. It was FaceTime. I answered the phone. "Hey," I sang.

"Hey, Peach, ¿Cómo estás?"

"Muy bien, muy bien. Te ves bonita." You look pretty. "For... two in the morning anyway," I chuckled, taking her in.

She was wearing one of her infamous silk robes, had her hair pulled back in a low bun with her hair falling out and framing her face while she sipped on what I knew for a fact was chamomile tea. "¿Cuándo vendrás aquí?" she asked. When are you coming here?

"No se," I admitted sheepishly. I don't know.

"Te ves cansada," she replied. You look tired.

I nodded, rubbing my eyes.

"Ve a dormir." Go to sleep. "Dónde está tu... roommate?" Where is your... roommate?

I laughed, "La ducha." Shower.

She nodded. "Okay. Buenas noches mi querida." Good night, my dear.

"Buenas noches. Te amo."

"Te amo. Bye, Peach."

"Bye, Mom." I put my phone away again and flicked my lamp off. The lights were off anyway. Aaron's lamp was still on but I left that on and rolled onto my side, sighing softly before closing my eyes. I don't know how long my eyes were closed for but I was nearly asleep when I heard the bathroom door open and then close before I heard him slip into bed. I didn't move or make a noise for a minute. I took a peek and saw that he was just staring at the ceiling. I opened my eyes and waited for a minute before yelling, "Boo!"

He flinched and took in a sharp breath, turning to me, wide-eyed. I snorted and then burst out laughing. "That's the biggest reaction I've ever gotten from you," I laughed, hitting his arm.

"You're such a bitch, Vanessa," he huffed.

I took in a breath as my laughter died down and stared at him. "You look even better when you're scared," I remarked.

"Yeah, I bet you liked that," he scoffed.

I chuckled and blinked slowly, my eyelids feeling heavier. "I'm going to sleep," I mumbled.

"Mm-hmm," he hummed.

I was barely conscious when I felt my hair slipping out of its bun, a piece falling over my face. It wasn't around my nose or mouth so I was too unbothered to move and push it away. But I was still conscious enough that I felt him brushing it away and tucking it behind my ear. "Aaron," I mumbled, my eyes refusing to open.

"What?" he whispered.

"Do you..."

What was I asking?

"Do I what?"

Oh, yeah.

"Do you really think we can be friends?" I barely got the words out, falling deeper into sleep with each minute.

No, no, no, don't fall asleep. I want to hear his answer! Wake up, Vanessa!

But I couldn't. My body was too tired. I heard him hum in thought and I thought I'd never get to hear his answer.

"Are you still awake?"

I don't know, am I?

"I'll take that as a no, but I'll answer you anyway... No. No, Vanessa, I do not think we can be friends." Then he added, "Just friends, anyway."

Am I dreaming?

"But I already asked you to be my friend," he sighed, "and I intend to keep my word until you ask me to do otherwise, Nessa."

I must really be dreaming if he called me Nessa.

.

.

.

.

.

Chapter 27

y'all really wanted to see him call her 'Nessa' well there it is

next chapter: hidden

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

114K 5.7K 43
❝We were quite a cliche, weren't we?❞ he smirked but I ignored the pang it spread in my chest. ❝We were. But this is real life. We can't hang on fan...
2.7K 245 36
Some loves don't end with marriages but with hopes of meeting each other again and promises that must be fulfilled. *** What Aariz hates the most is...
127 8 11
When Maddie first bumped into her new neighbor Alek (literally), things went south fast. Some could say it was hate at first sight. In real life, the...
5.4M 222K 75
Hate at first sight, revenge at next and then comes total chaos! ∆∆∆ "The ones you love the most have the power to hurt you the most." Vanessa Cather...